Eyes of the Father

Par SJSmith56

It's only been a short time since Lacey Williams grandfather died, leaving her his ramshackle home in a remot... Plus

Chapter 1. Brother
Chapter 2. Comfort (Sexual Content)
Chapter 3. Visitors
Chapter 4. On the Run
Chapter 5. Safety is Relative
Chapter 6. Life Changing
Chapter 7. Trouble
Chapter 8. Decisions
Chapter 9. Treatment
Chapter 10. Regret
Chapter 11. Longing
Chapter 12. Plans
Chapter 13. All This Time
Chapter 14. Alone
Chapter 15. Hope
Chapter 16. Still Not There (Sexual content)
Chapter 17. So Far Apart
Chapter 18. Making Amends
Chapter 19. The Capture (Violent content)
Chapter 20. The Cruelest Animal (Violent content)
Chapter 21. Into the Mouth of the Lion
Chapter 22. Believe
Chapter 23. The Trap
Chapter 24. For Once and For All (Sexual content)
Chapter 26. Getting Hitched
Chapter 27. The Best Is Yet to Come (Sexual content)
Chapter 28. Just a Dad
Chapter 29. Flash Forward - Part 1
Chapter 30. Flash Forward - Part 2

Chapter 25. Moments

118 8 2
Par SJSmith56

Several months later

The RV was huge, bigger than anything Bucky could have imagined. It and a dozen others just like it were scattered about Clint Barton's farmyard to accommodate the wedding visitors. Nick Fury went all out on their behalf when he learned of the wedding location, arranging for the RVs and the glamping tents for those who were more adventurous. He even arranged for generators to power the units, all of them with much appreciated air conditioning, and a water supply. Bucky shared this unit with Sam, Sarah and the boys. Sarah was in one of the bedrooms while he took the other. Sam and the boys had bunk beds in the centre of trailer. Lacey and her family were put up in the Barton's house, although the boys, including Tommy, all asked if they could camp out in one of the glamping tents. When AJ and Cass found out they asked if they could stay in the tents with the others. They all had a blast, forming close friendships that lasted for years.

In the weeks leading up to the wedding day several of the Avengers had showed up when they had some free days to help clear out the barn and make it acceptable as a reception venue. There were all sorts of farm treasures found during the cleanup that even Clint didn't know about and they used them as decoration in the farmyard, after restoring them. The old truck that Bucky hid in became a source of tinkering for several people and when they got it cleaned up then running Clint couldn't believe it. For many of those on the team the cleanup and the truck tinkering became a bonding moment that allowed them to grow closer in a non-mission environment. By the day of the stag they were all a close knit bunch. So much so that when they hauled Bucky out of the RV and blindfolded him he let it happen without a struggle. They put him in the bed of the old truck and took a tortuously long route over uneven farmland before stopping and letting him remove the blindfold. He laughed out loud at seeing that they were still on Clint's land but were well away from the house in front of a huge pile of deadwood. Clint splashed some gasoline on it then lit a match and dropped it on the pile, setting it ablaze. From a cooler came beer, several bottles of scotch and cigars for everyone. Sitting on stumps around the fire they shot the breeze, telling stories of old missions, old girlfriends, and sports. As everyone got slowly drunk, except for him and Thor, Bucky laughed.

"You know that I can't get drunk?" he stated emphatically to the others.

"Not on regular alcohol," smiled Thor, as he pulled a small flask out of his pocket. "But this ... one drink will knock you out until your wedding day so you get a small taste only."

He pulled out the smallest shot glass that Bucky had ever seen and poured enough to fill it halfway. With a smirk Bucky took it and Thor raised his flask to him. The others raised their drinks as well.

"Here's to you, Buck, and your bride to be," he said. "May you have many children and many years to enjoy your life together."

Bucky downed the shot glass as Thor took a long swig from his flask. Within seconds it hit him hard, and for the first time since 1943, Bucky felt drunk, very, very drunk. His whole body felt warm and he began to sweat. Then his vision went weird as everything swirled in front of his eyes.

"Fuck, what the hell is that?" he gasped.

"Asgardian mead," replied Thor, with a smile. "Feels good, doesn't it?"

"Yeah ... no," stammered Bucky. "I feel like I'm going to pass out."

"Maybe that was too much for you," mused Thor. "Sorry, you'll be okay. Try lying down and breathing deeply."

Bucky fell off the stump to the laughter of the others and lay on his back looking up at the night sky. He breathed deeply and slowly. The panic that he felt with his first reaction passed and he began to enjoy the experience. It was better than any other alcoholic effect he ever experienced prior to becoming a super soldier. Sam and Terry approached and stood over him, grinning enthusiastically.

"You okay?" asked Terry.

"I'm great," said Bucky. "Shit, this is good stuff." He raised his head and looked at Thor, giving him a thumbs up. "What's the hangover like on this?"

"For me, none," replied the big man. "For you ... hard to say. You'll find out when you wake up in the morning."

"Good enough," said Bucky, lowering his head back down to the ground. "I'll just stay here."

Sam and Terry laughed then both laid down on either side of Bucky, looking up at the night sky.

"This is actually nice," said Sam, exhaling some cigar smoke.

None of them said anything for a short while.

"Hey Sam," said Terry. "Is your sister seeing anyone?"

"No," replied Sam.

"You okay if I ask her out?" asked Terry. "I'm gainfully employed and I like kids."

Sam contemplated Terry's request and Bucky looked incredulously at his best friend. "You're considering it?" he said. "I just did some mild flirting and you jumped all over me."

"Yeah, but you were messed up and you were still in love with Lacey," replied Sam. "Terry has his shit together."

Bucky looked at Terry, seeing a big grin on his face. "You live in Philadelphia, and she lives near New Orleans."

"Saints are looking for a receivers coach," stated Sam.

"I know," replied Terry. "I have an interview next week. Thought I could drive to Delacroix after and visit you for a bit. I'll bring Tommy, since he's staying with me while Bucky and Lacey are on their honeymoon."

"You're always welcome," said Sam.

Bucky smiled. It wouldn't be the worst thing. Terry was a good man, even though he messed up when he was younger. The three of them laid there looking up at the night sky until the fire died down. Then Clint appeared looking over all three of them.

"You staying here for the night or you want help to get back to your trailer?" he asked.

Bucky put his hand up and Clint helped him stand as the other two managed to rise on their own.  He still felt woozy but not as bad as he did right after drinking the mead. He and several others sat on the truck bed as Clint got behind the wheel. It was a more direct route back to the trailers than the ride that brought him out. Once he and Sam were inside their trailer, he poured himself a big glass of water, knowing that would help with a hangover. After quietly saying good night so he wouldn't wake up Sarah he pulled his clothes off and laid on top of the bed in his briefs, falling asleep within minutes.

A horrible noise woke Bucky up the next morning and he looked at the door, as that seemed to be where it was coming from. Getting up to open it he almost stumbled over Sam, curled up in a blanket, asleep on the floor of his bedroom right in front of the door. Nudging Sam with his foot Bucky succeeded in rousing him.

"Didn't you hear the noise?" he asked.

"No," said Sam, grumpily. "There is no noise. Sarah woke me and said I was snoring, so I came in here. Figured you were so wasted you wouldn't be bothered."

"The noise was you," said Bucky then he made a face. "My mouth feels awful. I can't even describe what it feels like."

"Must be the mead," muttered Sam. "What time is it?"

Bucky reached for his watch and coughed as he read the time. "7:30," he answered. "I'm getting up."

He pulled on his jeans and a T-shirt then grabbed his socks and sneakers. Stepping over Sam he went out to the kitchen where Sarah was already up, having just made coffee. She smiled when she saw him and poured him a cup, pushing it over the counter towards him.

"Sam's snoring woke you up?" she asked. "It gets bad when he's had too much."

"I know that now," replied Bucky, after drinking his first sip of coffee. "This tastes terrible."

"Hangover?" she asked. "I thought you couldn't get drunk."

"I had some Asgardian mead," he answered. "Apparently I can get drunk on that. Won't be doing that for a long time."

She chuckled. "Do you feel up to some breakfast?" she asked. "Laura texted me that she's got breakfast started at the house."

"Maybe after I brush my teeth and try a couple of pain killers," said Bucky. "I think I got off lucky."

They both sat there for several minutes not saying anything then Sarah cleared her throat. "Is Terry seeing anyone?" she asked.

Bucky resisted rolling his eyes. "No, he's not," he replied. "He asked Sam about you last night. You like him?"

"He's a nice man," she replied. "He tossed the football around with the boys and was very patient with them. I guess that's the coach in him."

"I guess," agreed Bucky, and took another drink of his coffee. "He's interviewing for a position with the Saints next week. Said he might drive to Delacroix and visit a bit."

Sarah's face brightened despite her attempt to play it cool. "He's welcome to stay a while," she replied.

Bucky grinned and playfully pushed Sarah in the arm. She grinned back and he drained his coffee then went to wash up, brush his teeth and take a couple of painkillers, not that they ever helped before. When he came out she had changed into a nicer top. He opened the trailer door and gestured for her to leave first. They walked to the house where Laura and Lacey had breakfast underway. He kissed Lacey good morning, squeezing then caressing her butt while he did it. This being apart for a few days had made him hornier than hell and he took every opportunity he could to touch her.

"Anything I can help with?" he asked, after she playfully slapped him on his butt.

"Put the paper plates, cups, and cutlery out on the table," ordered Laura. "Sarah, if you could get some coffee and juice going that would be great.

Bucky opened a package of paper plates and put them out on the table, along with the disposable cutlery, then put the coffee cups on the side table where Sarah started the coffee urn. He put out the sugar, creamer and milk. There was a package of serviettes that he opened as well, placing them next to the plates. While he thought of it he put salt and pepper, ketchup, and hot sauce on the table. Then he leaned back and watched Lacey as she, Laura, and Sarah bustled around getting food together for everyone. A few times their eyes met and he made sure she knew exactly what he was thinking.

Sharon Carter had it so wrong. Lacey was beautiful, always had been. She had raised a super soldier baby practically on her own for almost nine years and did a good job of it. Plus she kept Clint's farm going during the Blip. Bucky knew he was lucky to have her. Tonight was the rehearsal then tomorrow the wedding. After the wedding was the wedding night and he gave Lacey that look again as he thought of what they would be doing. The day after that would be the beginning of what took years to bring together. A noise from the highway drew him to the door and he stepped outside. In the distance he saw a limousine, flying a diplomatic flag, drive onto the property and he called back inside.

"The Wakandans are here," he called out.

Lacey joined him and they both walked to where the limousine pulled up. Ayo and Okoye got out first, both in jeans and T-shirts, followed by T'Challa and Shuri, also dressed casually.

"You made it," said Bucky, extending his hand to the King. "I was getting worried."

"We have your suits, White Wolf," said Shuri, giving Lacey a hug. "There was never any danger of them not arriving in time. After Sam told us how much you liked the suit you wore when you went undercover in France it was the least we could do for you."

"Well, thank you," he said. "You've arrived in time for breakfast although I imagine you want to know where you're sleeping tonight. There is a free two bedroom RV with bunk beds in the living room area or a glamping tent with two beds."

Shuri's eyes opened wide at the mention of the glamping tent. "Oh, I love glamping," she exclaimed. "Ayo, say you'll share a tent with me."

"Of course, my Princess," she smiled. "It will be like Glastonbury, won't it?"

"I guess that leaves me and Okoye the RV," said T'Challa, smiling. "Show us our accommodations and take your suits at the same time. We'll come for breakfast when we have settled in."

They handed Bucky several suit bags and he walked T'Challa and Okoye to their RV. Lacey escorted Shuri and Ayo to the glamping tent. As they walked Shuri looked closely at Lacey then at Ayo but said nothing. Ayo raised her hand and made some gestures behind Lacey's back. They arrived at the tent and Lacey opened the tent flap. A big smile broke out on the Princess's face as she looked at the setup.

"This is wonderful," she said, then looked at Ayo for a moment. "Oh dear, I've forgotten one of my bags. Could you go back to the limousine before the driver leaves?"

Ayo bowed her head and returned to the limousine. Shuri took Lacey by the hand.

"How far along are you?" she asked. "You are pregnant, are you not?"

"We haven't told anyone yet," said Lacey. "Five weeks. How could you tell?"

Shuri smiled mysteriously. "I can tell when a woman in love is carrying the child of her beloved," she stated. "How are you feeling? Any morning sickness? Fatigue?"

"No morning sickness which is good because I had a lot with Tommy," she said. "I am napping more but I've just told people it's because of the wedding preparations. Honestly, I feel great."

"Good," replied Shuri. "I am happy for you both. Does your son know?"

"We were going to tell him when we returned from the honeymoon," she said. "I'm almost 34 and we just didn't want to wait any longer to have a baby. Bucky missed out on so much with Tommy."

Shuri grasped Lacey's hands in her own. "I'm so excited," she said. "After all you have both been through to get to this point it's wonderful that you're both on board with having another child."

Ayo was approaching with Shuri's missing bag and Lacey took her leave. When she was out of earshot Ayo looked at Shuri. "Is she?" she asked.

"Five weeks," said Shuri. "I owe you money. I still don't know how you knew."

Ayo laughed. "There were no condoms in the safe house in Germany," she replied. "I didn't know if she was on birth control then but the whole house could hear them for the two nights they were together. I figured it was inevitable. Plus, my mother was a midwife, so I've been around a lot of pregnant women."

Both women laughed again and Shuri paid up the bet. No one would hear of it from them but they both thought it was joyous news. By the time the Wakandans arrived at the house the breakfast was well underway. A dark SUV pulled up to the yard and both Clint and Bucky stood up wondering why the feds were there. They didn't have to worry as the driver's door opened and FBI Agent Dan Jones stepped out with a smile.

"Looks like a party's going on here," he said, approaching Clint and Bucky with his hand outstretched.

"You look good," said Clint, shaking hands first. "Better than when you were in the hospital. You back on duty yet?"

"Two weeks ago," he said, shaking Bucky's hand next. "I heard you guys kicked ass and that the Avengers signed you up, Bucky."

"We did and I did," replied Bucky. "Come and see Lacey. She'll be glad you're here. Clint, where's he staying?"

"In the house," said Clint. "He's family for this wedding."

Jones pulled his bag out of the SUV and followed Bucky into the house where Lacey gave out a glad cry and hugged him. He had put his life on the line in Philadelphia for her and Tommy, and would always be welcomed by her. As Laura showed Jones his room there was a steady stream of hungry people helping themselves to the food. They scattered throughout the house, on the porch and on lawn chairs outside, eating and enjoying the company of everyone else. Clint walked through with a coffee pot topping up people's cups. He also informed everyone that breakfast the following morning would be catered outside of the house so that everyone would have time to get ready for the wedding.

"What if it rains?" asked Shuri.

"Not in the forecast," he replied. "But if it does then bring an umbrella. The only people allowed in the house tomorrow morning are my family, Lacey, and her family. Even Bucky's not allowed and he better not try to sneak in tonight using his super soldier abilities."

Bucky grinned happily. "Yes, Dad," he replied.

Torres looked at him. "What's with that?" he asked.

"He's made me stay in the trailer for the past few days," answered Bucky. "He's walking Lacey down the aisle and is taking his Dad role very seriously. I can't be angry as he's gone to a lot of trouble to give us a beautiful wedding."

"Where are you staying for the wedding night?" asked Torres. "I mean, this farm is packed with people."

"Clint's arranged that as well," replied Bucky. "Said it's his and Laura's wedding gift to us. I trust him."

Bucky looked casually around at everyone and made eye contact with Lacey. She jerked her head slightly and he got up, following her out to the barn. As soon as they got inside he picked her up and began kissing her passionately. Laughing, she kissed him back then put her hands flat on his chest to make him stop.

"What?" he asked. "I thought you brought me out here to have your way with me."

"Shuri knows," she said. "So does Laura. They both asked me straight up if I was pregnant."

"You told them?" he questioned. "What happened to keeping it quiet until 12 weeks?"

"I can't lie to them," she answered. "They both said they could tell. I don't look pregnant, do I?" She placed her hands on her abdomen and turned sideways.

"You are glowing," he replied, kissing her again, then stroking her hair. "What do you want to do?"

"I think we should tell Tommy right away," she said. "He deserves to know more than anyone. Then maybe we should let everyone else know. Maybe during the speeches at the reception."

"Okay, we'll tell Tommy today and everyone else during the reception," said Bucky. "It's still early but you're healthy and feeling good."

"I'm also a lot older," she replied. "You're not upset that I got the implant out without telling you?"

He shook his head, smiling. "I told you in the safe house that I was making it right, no matter what. If you got pregnant that night I would have been as thrilled as I am now. Are you alright that I said yes to Fury when he showed me that farm near the compound?"

She nodded, smiling as well. "Once you showed me the photos I knew it was the right place," she said. "He preferred you lived within driving distance of the compound, I'm within driving distance to my publisher in New York City, 200 acres with a lake and a wooded area, a 150 year old stone farmhouse that's been renovated and modernized. We can handle any other renovations we want to do. It's perfect."

He kissed her tenderly, bending himself over her, then he straightened up and took a deep breath. "Once he asked me if I was interested in being training officer I couldn't say no to the farm," he said. He became thoughtful. "You know I almost killed him, back in 2014. He was a big threat to HYDRA's plans, and I tried taking him out in his vehicle in the middle of New York. That's when the first footage of me in action came out. He got away and I tracked him to Steve Roger's apartment, set up on the rooftop across from it and shot him through the window. Steve came after me, but he didn't recognize me as I had a mask on. I hurt Fury bad, but he was smart and used the opportunity to fake his death so that Pierce, the guy in charge of HYDRA at the time, thought he had succeeded. Just weeks later I was on the run, able to think for myself for the first time in so long. Then you found me, hurt, soaked, hungry, and you helped me. You didn't look at me as a killer but as a man."

She touched his face with her hand, and he grasped it, kissing the palm gently. "You were in pain," she replied. "Not just from the bullet wound but inside, in your soul. I could see it and feel it. You were so soft spoken and it's probably when I fell in love with you. It was obvious that you were a good man. I've never regretted it, Bucky. When I realized I was pregnant I considered not having the baby for about ten seconds, then the thought it might have your eyes hit me and I decided then to keep the baby. If I couldn't have you, I could at least have someone that looked like you."

"You did an amazing job raising Tommy," said Bucky. "I'm so proud of him and you. Thank you."

He picked her up in his arms and held her close, burying his face in her neck. That's how they still were when Tommy came looking for them several minutes later. Bucky put Lacey down and they sat together at one of the tables which had been brought in for the reception. He looked at his son, then at Lacey and took a breath.

"Your Mom and I wanted to tell you something," said Bucky. "We're going to have a baby. Your mom's about 5 weeks along. You're going to be a big brother."

Tommy looked at both of them, then a smile appeared on his face. "Really?" he asked. "You're sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," said Lacey. "We were going to wait a bit before we said anything but a couple of people have already figured it out so we wanted to tell you first. We've also bought a farm in New York State. It's near the Avengers compound because your Dad's going to be training officer for them and will have to be there more often. It's also close to my publisher in the city. There's a great school nearby and you'll get to take a school bus every day. We can move in when we get back from our honeymoon."

Tommy jumped up and hugged each of them in turn. "That's awesome," he said. "All of it. Dad, can I train with you sometimes?"

"Absolutely," said Bucky. "Steve said right from when you were little you wanted to be an Avenger. They'll be lucky to have you and I'll make sure you're ready to be one when you're old enough."

Tommy hugged them both again and they stood up to go back to the farmhouse. There was a lot that had to be done today, including decorating the barn and setting up the tent for the caterers. It was good that there were many helping hands available to spread the workload. By the time the rehearsal was finished, and the caterers brought the pig roast in it became quite the party. When Bucky kissed Lacey goodnight on the steps of the house just before midnight and walked away in the darkness towards his RV, he knew the next day would be great.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

312K 7.7K 17
"Steve Rogers...that name sounds painfully familiar. He's pretty cute from the pictures I've seen. Too freaking bad I gotta kill him. And then track...
214K 5.9K 21
A love story set in a world of war When two men shouldn't be on a dancefloor Yet they were stuck like glue forevermore The asthmatic Stev...
5K 215 49
a young woman finds an old letter written to her grandmother. thinking it would provide some much needed creative fuel she goes in search of a descen...
718K 17.7K 40
You are one badass assassin. The deadliest one alive. You're also Steve Rogers' long lost younger sister. When Steve and the Avengers find you single...