𝒞𝐻𝒜𝒩𝒞𝐸𝒮 || Lo'ak x Rea...

By liv__ing

"𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬." Y/N had always been a special Na'vi. Born of the Metkayina clan and t... More

"hey"
underwater
powers
payakan
return
I see you
───── thank you ─────
fight back
chase
war
dying
ancestors
at last
chances

eywa

6K 157 47
By liv__ing

Y/N's POV

"Y/N!" a voice yelled, jolting me back to my senses. I whirled around to see Kiri and Spider struggling blindly in the water.

"Bro!" Spider yelled as Lo'ak waved. We surpassed a raging wall of flames to rescue them. Kiri treaded water while speaking fast.

"Mom and Dad are down there. In the ship!" she exclaimed to her brother. Neteyam let out a frustrated hiss.

"Grab on!" I ordered, and the two mounted P'lei's fin.

"Tuk is down there, too." Kiri whispered to me with wide eyes. She was still speaking breathlessly and gasping for air every few seconds. "I— we saw her. She got sucked into the ship. Mom went after her."

I put one hand on her shoulder in concern. She was clearly terrified. "Breath, Kiri, breath. Everything will be alright. We'll find them."

"I'm going to go back for help," shouted Tsireya. She made a series of clicking sounds, and an Ilu swam below the ring of fire. She dived into the water. I watched them make their way into the distance.

My Tulkun rumbled urgently. Sister, do you know where Pay-yay is?

My initial feeling was alarm— I thought you knew!

"Okay, let's go! Hurry up!" Neteyam called to the navigating Tulkun, cutting our conversation short. P'lei visibly rolled her (four) eyes.

Could be a little nicer to me, buddy. It's not that hard. It's been a long day, she grumbled irritably, but obeyed nonetheless. We all inhaled deep and collectively before she plummeting back into the vast sea. Spider used his flashlight to help light the way.

P'lei took us down to a large open portion of the ship, where we dispersed. Lo'ak, Neteyam, and Spider all vanished into an entrance of the once-functioning aircraft. Kiri and I each grasped one of those jelly-like creatures for a supply of air. It glowed a faint pink and fluttered on my back like little underwater wings. I hissed in frustration knowing that none of the boys grabbed one before disappearing. They were going to drown, with the mental capacities they had!

Suddenly, I caught sight of Kiri's expression, and my annoyance gave away into concern.

Are you ok? I signed to her. She gave me a thumbs up before signing back,

My throat nearly got slit and we all almost drowned, but you know besides that, an average day. Oh, and Mom held a knife to Spider's neck. Like I said, typical. Mom always wants to kill Spider.

It took me a second to comprehend her words, but once I did, they didn't make any more sense than before.

Riiight. Totally. Um, Kiri... I saw Grace, I confessed, knowing my best friend deserved to know that I had a conversation with her (very much dead) mother. Kiri's eyes widened, and bubbles escaped her mouth as she tried to find words.

How? She's with Eywa I know that's kind of your thing, but how? Did she just appear?

Oh, I kind of died, and started hallucinating. It's nothing important though.

You didn't mention that!

Like you said, an average day!

But you DIED? That doesn't happen on an average day!

Kinda does! Also, neither does almost getting your throat slit! I don't know how any of this works! Grace said it wasn't my time to join Eywa and that my people needed me. That my family needed me. She told me to protect you!

Kiri scoffed underwater. Her thoughts were clear: why hadn't Grace visited her instead? Why hadn't she given me a message to pass along to her daughter? Wasn't she the one protecting Kiri? Why me?

I promised her I would protect you. And I will, I promised solemnly. I could tell tears were springing into her eyes, despite water already surrounding us.

This was in our vision, wasn't it? All the fighting. All the pain. All the loss.

I cracked a smile. Yeah, I got shot twice.

Kiri made a "wtf" face and made an alarmed motion. In response, I pointed to my shoulder and my waist, two places that had been punctured by the gun bullets. To my surprise, the wounds were completely healed already and completely gone. Without a scar, without a trace. It was as if I had never been shot in the first place.

It's healed now, but it wasn't ideal before, I told her grimly in attempt to lighten the conversation.

Still looking disturbed, she stretched her hand out to me.

Hold, she instructed. I clasped my hand around hers as we sank onto the ledge of the metal structure. The little bright orange tadpoles that were Eywa started to circle us. At first, it was just a few. Three or four. They liked to follow our hand motions and swirls and swarm around our intertwined hands. It seemed our connection was attracting more and more however, because soon the water was completely illuminated by the shining creatures that felt our spiritual energy. It was clear they were here to help.

Looking around at the wondrous, swirling orange creatures, I couldn't help thinking back to when Lo'ak was covered in them. On our first trip out hunting together. Was he okay? No, I don't have time to worry about it! Was this Eywa reaching out to me? Telling me this was what I was brought back for? To save my friends and my people? To save myself?

Maybe I won't lose anyone today after all.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Lo'ak's POV

I wandered endlessly through the ship like it was some sort of maze. Everywhere inside was the hanging bodies of Sky People murdered in battle—most likely by Y/N's carnivorous fish. I spotted a few of them still wriggling around in the water, but they let me pass just fine without the order from her to attack. Besides that, it was puzzles and puzzles of bleak metal structures and places that were once dry land.

Just when I began to panic, I found Dad barely supported by a metal rod-like ledge. He was twitching every few seconds, and clearly unconscious.

I got this, I encouraged myself with dread. Pushing him off and onto my shoulder, I slung one of his arms around and tried to pull him up.

Great Eywa, Dad, you're heavy! I inwardly groaned while struggling to carry his weight. Glancing around wildly, I tried to find an air pocket, but my eyesight was blurred by reflecting flashes of light casted by the flames and the pain of not knowing if everyone else was okay beginning to sting.

For some reason, the person I was most worried about was Y/N. Now that she was alive (not necessarily well, but alive), the dramatic feelings I felt when everyone thought she was dead were rolling away. What if I had confused my feelings? Was it all an illusion given by Eywa? I didn't even ask her what happened. Did I?

I can't think. Everything is a blur now.

So if I didn't exactly love her, then why was I so worried? But did I in the first place? Sure, I was indecisive. Of course I did. We were good friends. Anyone would be upset over a friend's death. Or, almost death.

I do like herthough I'd say "love" is a strong word. You don't use it if you don't know what it is. And I've never felt this way before, so how should I know?

Suddenly, a hand clung onto my shoulder, startling me from behind. Neteyam pushed into view, signing srung si: he was here to help. He took Dad's other arm without another word and supported it using his shoulder. Seeing an opening for air nearby in the ship, I pointed at it so my brother knew where we should head. Together, we pushed side by side against the heavy water, two brothers repaying the ever-lasting debt they owed for their father.

At last we broke through the even surface, Dad barely stayed afloat on top of the water. I shook him urgently.

"Dad. Dad!" I called in a low voice, trying to comfort him. "Wake up! Hold here, on this ledge. You're alright now. You'll be ok now."

As if my words were a remedy, he was suddenly revived. "Neteyam!" he gasped, clinging onto the ship for dear life.

"I'm here. I'm safe." Neteyam lied, even though we both knew damn well neither of us had the slightest idea of what 'safe' meant. And I had to admit, it hurt being the least favorite child. Dad woke up and called my brother's name first. But oh well, at least I wasn't professionally diagnosed with Favorite Child Syndrome. And at least I didn't die in the original storyline. At least I had an Eywa-bender girlfr—

"Just breathe. Keep calm." I added quietly. Dad coughed up enough water to fill the Pacific ocean before taking a few shuddering breaths.

There was a long pause where all you could hear was the evening rhythm of us three breathing. I glanced around at where we were; there was some space behind us still filled with oxygen, but not much. We'd all be submerged soon!

"We're losing air pocket. Come on, Dad, we gotta move soon!" I remarked, but he was still catching his breath. When he turned his head to the side, I saw a nasty gash across his cheek and a slash near his forehead. It was still bleeding.

"Dad, we have to go. We don't have enough time. We'll be underwater soon." Neteyam hissed pressingly. I could almost see the gears working fast in his head, both of us thinking desperately of a solution. It was clear our father was losing his strength. We had to get out of the ship, and fast.

"I can't make it," Dad said in pain. His breathing was becoming more ragged by the second. "You two still can."

"No!" I contradicted instantly. How could we leave him? I'd never leave him!

"Listen, Lo'ak, you gotta go right now—"

"No, no!" Neteyam and I protested at the same time. My voice wavered and cracked slightly, and I shook my head.

"I almost lost everyone already today. I can't lose you too, Dad."

"Please. Dad." my brother whispered, struggling to help him stay in the air pocket. I knew what I had to do. I had to be calm, for the sake of them and myself. I tried to let an unexpected sensation of still peace wash over me. Just like the waves stirring slowly in the surface, I could tune in the water's calming pace. Is this what Y/N meant, to listen to the sea?

"You should slow your heart down. Be real calm. Breath some air. Hey, breath from here." I instructed, placing my palm on his stomach. It felt like repeating Y/N's lesson.

Breath in. And out. I took a deep breath, and to my relief, Neteyam followed along. Dad tried to copy my motion and slow his heartbeat.

Breath in.

"The Way of Water has no beginning and no end."

Neteyam looked up at me with surprise. To my own shock, I kept talking, the words tumbling out of my mouth before I could stop them.

Breath out.

"The sea is around you and in you."

Dad's full attention was on me now, as he barely stayed on the surface. I gazed into his soul, not sure if he'd give up trying at any moment.

Breath in.

"The sea is your home; before your birth, and after your death."

Breathe in, and out.

Neteyam's rhythm started to match mine in between words, and soon Dad's did too. The water smoothened and threatened to submerge us. I was trying to keep them both calm, knowing very well the water was rising.

"The sea gives, and the sea takes. Water connects all things."

Speaking of water, it rose very quickly, so our faces were almost under. Why didn't I take one of those air-jelly animals?? Why did I leave Y/N so quickly? Is she even OK? I'd replayed Y/N's sentences in my head so many times it was engraved into my brain. As I talked, I imagined it was her, her soothing voice, telling me this for the first time again. She would keep calm. She would keep others calm. I only prayed to Eywa she was calm (which she usually was NOT).

After all, she'd already died once today. It didn't need to happen again.

"Life to death. Darkness, to light."

A thrilling peace was overtaking my mind. It washed away all my worries and comforted me with its dialogue. Memories of the past days flipped by like a magazine. I saw everything clearly for perhaps the first time. It had been fate that brought us together in the first place, and perhaps if Eywa allowed, it would also be fate that brought us back to each other in the end. After this. If I ever saw her again, I'd tell her how happy she made me. Even if there wasn't a chance she felt the same.

I don't care. I'll take my chances. She deserves to know.

Neteyam spoke next. "Dad, you can do this. Trust us. With all your heart."

"Trust us. Last breath," I reminded. We breathed in once more before vanishing into the water.

I made sure Dad and Neteyam were both following me as I took the lead. I dived under stairs and zig-zagged around poles. They managed to follow.

As we neared the ship's exit, I squinted. Is that... light?

Sure enough, those majestic orange tadpoles that covered me when I first arrived were filling the waters with a promising radiant gleam. Except it wasn't just ten or twenty this time—oh, no. It was hundreds. Hundreds upon hundreds.

Thousands.

Thousands of them assembled in the water to form many beautiful pathways. Oh, woah. What could've caused this? There's only one answer... Eywa had heard our plea! Eywa had come to help! And for the first time in a long while, I felt hope. And I felt that there was a chance; just a small one, but still a chance, that we could make it out.

Alive.

° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ ° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 °

a/n ~ i finally updated and I think my new favorite chapter is coming soon...

just be patient a LITTLE longer....

also thank you for 62k reads!! we reached the goal and the next one is 100k, can we do it? are you here before 100k?

(and since you made it this far, follow me @liv__ing or at least vote!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.7K 1.6K 26
- Jake Sully X Reader (Avatar Fan-Fiction) - |Avatar Franchise| - Book 2 - Following the events of the first story, Jake and Y/n are married and mat...
18.7K 459 13
[ When outcast meets outcast ] *ON GOING* Lo'ak, the trouble maker. He was an outcast in his clan and is still one in the metkayinas. He thought no...
18.4K 643 11
Upon the Metkayina Clan giving his family sanctuary, and now living under Awa'atlu, Neteyam didn't foresee himself to be holding secrets. As the eld...
140K 4.3K 54
( VOL 2 OUT NOW ) VOL 1 - Ni'teya's disliking towards her closest friend's brother, Lo'ak Sully, only grows as he becomes a newly appointed rival aft...