It's a Long Way To Dearest Gr...

By ALorenaE

Camila, Luz, Amity, Hunter, Gus, and Willow return to the Boiling Isles to find things are a bit messy. Raine... More

Chapter 1: The Boiling Isles
Chapter 2: Hexside School of Magic and Demonics
Chapter 3: C.A.T.s Headquarters
Chapter 4: The Owl House
Chapter 5: The First Night
Chapter 6: Breakfast with Eda
Chapter 7: Briefings
Chapter 8: Making Home
Chapter 9: Castle Heist
Chapter 10: Friendship and Insecurity
Chapter 11: Rest
Chapter 12: Gifts
Chapter 13: Looking for Answers
Chapter 14: Notes, Realizations, and Friendship
Chapter 15: Return to Hexside
Chapter 16: The Golden Guard
Chapter 18: Weekend Fun
Chapter 19: Meet the Parents
Chapter 20: Things New
Chapter 21: Firsts
Chapter 22: Preparations and Conversations
Chapter 23: The Night Before Everything
Chapter 24: Sacrifice
Chapter 25: Belos
Chapter 26: Endings
Chapter 27: Closure
Chapter 28: Recovery
Chapter 29: Healing
Chapter 30: One Door Opens
Chapter 31: Home

Chapter 17: More Than Just a Dress

100 1 2
By ALorenaE

At the end of their first week back at Hexside, Gus, Willow, and Amity convince their dads to let them stay the weekend at the Owl House. The excitement in the house when they arrive with their overnight bags in tow is unrestrained and gleeful. Camila and Eda work together to make dinner while Lilith, Steve, and Hooty are a captive audience for the stories from school.

The living room turns into a picnic for dinner, with games, laughter, and more teenage energy than the four adults have any hope of keeping up with. The kids are sent off to the shared bedroom so Camila can set up her bed on the couch after everything is tidied up for the evening. She smiles as she hears another peal of giggles come from the five friends. She wishes Vee were here to laugh with them and hopes her other teen is safe in the human realm.

She checks on them a few hours later after they've quieted down and the house seems still. Luz, Gus, and Amity play cards on the bed while Hunter and Willow share the blanket nest. She has dozed off tucked under his arm, lightly snoring, while he leans against the wall.

"Does anyone need anything?" she whispers.

"Nah, we're good," Gus answers, "But thanks for checking."

"I'm going to turn out the lights and go to sleep now," Camila replies, "So I'd appreciate it if you'd keep the noise down when you leave the room."

"We will, Mom," Luz says.

"Come get me if you need me, though."

"Thanks, Camila," Amity says, "We will."

"And don't stay up too late. You don't want to be too tired to have fun in the morning."

"Mom, go to sleep – you don't want to be too tired, either," Luz says.

Camila quietly laughs, "Alright, alright, I'll go. Goodnight, kids. I'll see you in the morning."

After the teens say their goodnights, they wrap up the card game on the bed and abandon it in favour of the blanket nest. Gus settles in next to Hunter with Amity and Luz on the other side.

"So...you sure you want to fall asleep propped up with Willow against you? I feel like you're going to have one heck of a crick in your neck tomorrow if you do."

Hunter shrugs, "Yeah, maybe. But I don't want to move her. She's peaceful."

"Well let me know if you want me to help move her so you're more comfy. Wouldn't be the first time I've used a little magic to move a sleeping friend."

Hunter nods and carefully shifts a little to keep his arm from falling asleep. Gus finds a book and reads as Luz starts snoring and Amity hums in her sleep.

Once Luz and Amity are clearly going to stay asleep, Hunter turns to Gus, "So can I ask you something?"

"Sure, shoot."

"Does it bother you how close Willow and I are? I mean, you two have been friends forever and I don't want to feel like I'm in the way of that."

Gus shakes his head, "Nah, not at all. Willow's happy, you're happy, and that's really important. I like seeing my friends enjoying their lives."

"But what about you?" Hunter asks.

"What about me? I'm fine. I'm watching two of my friends fall in love, how could that not be a special thing to get to see?"

Hunter blushes, "I don't know if I'd say that we're to that point yet...."

Gus shrugs, "Eh, whatever you want to call it, it's kinda amazing. I got to see it with Luz and Amity, I'm getting to see it for you and Willow. I mean, isn't it cool I get to watch this happen twice?"

"And what about you?" Hunter asks, "Do you ever feel a little jealous because it's not you?"

"Nope," Gus replies, "Not at all. That's not how I roll. Willow's been my best friend for years. She's always been there for me, but she's not my girlfriend, and she never will be, because that's not how we are. And that's great! I love what we have."

"Oh, I didn't mean jealous because I'm with her," Hunter clarifies, "I more meant because we're all paired up and you aren't. Does that ever bother you?"

"Also nope. If I ever find someone, great! But I don't really feel like I need to, you know? I've got great friends, my dad's pretty cool, Willow's dads are pretty cool, and now I've got bonus moms thanks to Eda and Camila, and an ever-expanding assortment of eclectic aunts and uncles. I'm feeling good about my life, even with all the Belos stuff and the Collector running around," Gus shrugs, "Guess maybe I'm just wired differently or something."

Hunter smiles, "Well there's nothing wrong with being wired differently. It's not like the rest of us are some kind of normal...whatever that is. We've all got our quirks."

"Exactly. And there's no way your friendship with Willow can hurt her friendship with me. That's just not how we all work. It didn't break us apart when Amity and Luz started dating. Heck, remember in the human realm when we all got excited about that video she made?"

"Yeah. That was neat. Apparently it's a bigger deal there than it is here. I didn't even know there were words for it."

"I have to admit, 'hi, I'm bi!' is catchy, and I'm a little jealous Luz kinda has a catchphrase like that. Pretty swell."

Hunter laughs, "Guess we're going to have to come up with some of our own." His smile fades, "Belos told me I'd never find real friends, let alone whatever Willow and I have. He said everybody'd always just use me to get to him, to gain power, whatever. I'd never be seen as a person. I was told both that I was special, the Titan had big plans for me, and that I was magicless and that meant no one would accept me. Which is kinda two of the opposite ends of the spectrum...."

"And it's a load of lies," Gus adds. "You just needed to be away from him and then you were able to figure out who you could trust. And you're a quick judge of people, too. Still haven't forgotten how you were able to tell the fake Willow from the real one that one time – 'have you seen her play flier derby? There's no way the Captain would be afraid of me.' That line was kinda epic."

Hunter nods, looking down at Willow, "It's true, though. She never was afraid of me, of my position, any of it. And I remember how she put herself between her team and Darius."

"Willow's a pretty special person," Gus says, "But you're going to have a rough time sleeping if you don't let me help move her. Let's get you both laying down."

This time, Hunter relents and Gus uses magic to support Willow and lay her down beside Hunter. She curls up against him, nestling under his arm. He lightly kisses her forehead, whispers a goodnight, and falls asleep with Gus smiling on his other side.

In the morning, the room is a flurry of activity as the teens wake each other and find their clothes for the day. While the others are digging through their garments, tossing aside the things they don't want to wear and making piles of the possibilities, Hunter takes Willow aside and presents her with the midnight blue dress.

She unfolds it and looks it over, beaming, "It's beautiful, Hunter. Did you embroider the cardinal?"

"Yeah. Is it bad?"

"No, not at all. It's beautiful. And it's Flapjack."

He nods, "Yeah. It is. Clover always comes to sit on my shoulder when we're out walking. I've wished that Flapjack could do the same, flying over to you. Since he can't...."

"You found a way for him to, even though he's gone."

Hunter sits down at his sewing desk, "I hope you like it."

"I do. And it's what I'm going to wear today." She grabs her other clothes and heads off to the bathroom for a bath and to change. Hunter can't help but silently congratulate himself on his workmanship on the dress.

Willow meets them at breakfast, giving the skirt a twirl before she sits down. Hunter can't help but stare. He catches himself watching her multiple times throughout the day and he knows his feelings for her are probably fairly obvious. He wonders what she's thinking when she notices him looking in her direction. But instead of asking her, he pushes the question away, letting himself enjoy the day with her.

Darius and Raine join them for lunch and the house is crowded and lively, their conversations spilling onto the lawn until the skies split and boiling rain pours down in an unexpected storm. Raine puts up the shielding spell around the house and they all gather inside, the kids' energies no less diminished thanks to the change in plans.

Overwhelmed by the noise, Hunter retreats to the bedroom while the others are playing a rambunctious game in the living room. He sits on the bed and writes his feelings about Willow in his journal, adding another letter to Flapjack on another page.

A quiet knock comes at the door, "Hunter? Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm OK," Hunter replies, "But you can come in."

Darius opens the door and steps inside, closing it after him, "Well, at least that keeps out a little of the chaos."

"Enough I can hear myself think, and that's what I needed."

Darius sits down in the chair at the desk, "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, but if I answer depends on what it is."

"Fair. I noticed you were wearing your concealment stone today – your scars are gone. Is there a reason?" Darius asks.

Hunter closes his journal and sets it down on the corner of the desk, "Yeah. It's a lot to be around so many people at once. I know there's no need for it, but...."

Darius nods, "I understand, but I want to remind you what you told me – you promised Gus you'd try to not wear it when at home with the family. And you are, right now. Even though it's a large group, there's nobody here you don't know. And you know Raine and I think of you as family, too."

Hunter sighs, "I know, but at the same time...I haven't spent a whole lot of time with either of you without it being a part of the plan to get rid of the Collector and Belos. I know neither of you would say anything or make it bad, I just...don't feel like I know you well." He shrugs, "I mean, it's ridiculous, you two saw me on the same day I got them and you didn't make it weird, but...."

Darius holds up a hand, "Stop, you don't need to justify it. I shouldn't be prying. This is about you and your comforts, not me. But I do want you to remember that we care about you and we're not going to make things harder on you because of your scars. You're still a kid, Hunter, and we want to help look out for you. We're both here for you, however you need us."

Hunter smiles, "Thanks. Tell Raine why I'm still wearing it, OK? I don't want them to feel like I don't trust them."

"Of course. Would you like me to sit in here with you for a little while longer? Or would you like me to go talk to Raine?"

Hunter shrugs, "Maybe give me a few minutes and then go, so you can do both?"

"Happily, Hunter. Would you like to tell me about one of your latest sewing projects? It always seems to make you happy to share. With whatever's going on out there...I think a break sounds lovely."

Hunter thinks a moment, then, beaming, says, "So I assume you've seen the dress Willow's wearing today...."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369 32 16
Just a random fem y/n X Hunter story Feel free to judge Y/N l/N is all alone the she stumbles across eda the owl lady and her apprentice luz the hum...
868 43 14
Cover by : (myself lol) Luz, Amity and Willow are cops. Hunter, Gus and Matt Tholomule are mobsters. Everyone is over 18. TWs and CWs explained in th...
26.4K 642 30
Hunter has given his whole life to the Emporers Coven, to Belos, to his Uncle. He always pushed through the pain and kept going no matter how hard it...
119K 3.2K 23
When Luz returns to the Boiling Isles, her feelings towards her best friend, top student Amity Blight, haven't changed. But both are too afraid to co...