Origins of the QED Club

By AkoSiIbarra

QED CLUB: the go-to place of students and teachers in Clark High whenever they have mind-boggling mysteries t... More

Front Matter
Author's Notes
PART ONE: Clubroom Conundrum
Chapter 01: My Pesky Little Problem
Chapter 02: My New Roommate
Chapter 03: Her Troublesome Secret Admirer
Chapter 04: My Sincerest Apologies
Chapter 05: Owe Me A Favor, Will You?
Chapter 06: Don't You Dare Ghost Me
Chapter 07: Phew, Crisis Averted!
PART TWO: Primadonna of Theater
Chapter 08: First, My Curiosity. Now, My Attention
Chapter 09: The Rosy Thread
Chapter 10: At Long Last! Meet the Club!
Chapter 11: QED Club in Action!
Chapter 12: Goodbye, Theater! (For Now)
Chapter 13: Game of Kings! Jamie versus Loki
Chapter 14: Loki's Missing?!
Chapter 15: Found Yah!
PART THREE: Knight of the Club
Chapter 16: The Childhood Friend
Chapter 17: Friends Reunited
Chapter 19: Over A Cup of Coffee
Chapter 20: The Transferee
Chapter 21: Join the Club
Chapter 22: QED Club to the Rescue
PART FOUR: Chronicler of the Club
Chapter 23: And Then There Were Four
Chapter 24: Two Truths, One Lie
Chapter 25: From Beyond The Grave
Chapter 26: Sob Stories
Chapter 27: Curtains Drawn
Chapter 28: First Mate
Postscript

Chapter 18: February Soiree

2.8K 207 60
By AkoSiIbarra

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that readers may find triggering. Reader discretion is advised. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

ALISTAIR

I COULD still remember what happened that eventful night. St. Bartholomew High School was holding its February Soiree back then. Isa ito sa pinakaabangang program ng student council kung saan makapagsasaya ang mga estudyante bago ang finals week. I was also excited about it, but not as excited as everyone else.

"Are you going to attend the party tomorrow?" I asked Lorelei who shared the table with me at lunchtime. She was enjoying a plate of pasta while I was eating a bowl of salad. "Lionel told me na may in-invite silang local singers at bands para tumugtog."

She shrugged as she twirled some noodles with her fork. "You know that I'm not into those kinds of party. Siguradong magiging maingay at magulo roon. I won't mind if it's a formal event where there would be order all throughout. How about you? Sure na pupunta ka na?"

I gave her a nod. "I volunteered to be part of the organizing committee so I have to attend. Naghahanap kasi ng volunteer si Lionel kaya nagpresenta na ako. I'll make sure that the event won't be as chaotic as you thought it would be."

"Now that's reassuring," she said with a smile. "But won't they be serving both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks? Baka may mag-amok o magwala habang nag-e-enjoy ang attendees?"

"Only to those of legal age," I clarified. "The committee has given specific instructions na huwag bibigyan ng alcohol ang mga minor. While we want everyone to enjoy the event to the fullest, there has to be some limits."

"Even with those measures, I think some students will try to find a way to work around it. Alam mo na, kung gusto may paraan, 'di ba? You think a simple age restriction will prevent stubborn students from getting some alcoholic drinks?"

"Don't worry. We'll be there to make sure that the event will end without a hitch," I assured her. "Isa pa, hindi hahayaan ni Lionel na maging messy ang party bukas. He won't let it affect his candidacy for the student council."

"Is he running for president?"

"No, just for vice president."

She took in a forkful of pasta. "Since you're there and Lionel will make sure that nothing bad happens, I might go na."

"You don't have to come if you don't feel like it. But if you can, that would be great," I told her. "It's not every day that we get a chance to have fun in this school, given the academic workload."

"Yeah, right. It must be nice to have some breather. Sobrang nakaka-drain ng ilang subjects natin," she sighed. "This isn't the kind of breather that I usually enjoy, but this will do."

"By the way, how's the report you submitted to OSA?" I removed the cap of my bottled juice before sipping from it. "About Regina and her club? The one you mentioned days ago?"

"Oh, yeah!" Her face lit up. "They told me na ipatatawag nila si Regina at ipare-review 'yong financial reports ng club niya. They found enough reason to seriously consider the possibility that she and her officers were misusing their budget."

"Mukhang pina-practice mo na ang pagiging investigative journalist mo, ah?" I commented. "No one suspected that they're doing something suspicious until you decided to dig deeper."

"Alam mo namang HUMSS ang balak kong kunin na strand sa senior high, so I consider this as a preview of what I want to be in the future." Her brown eyes sparkled as she talked about her dream. Then she frowned. "But my dad is against it. Gusto niyang ABM ang kunin kong strand para makapag-Business Management ako sa college. He wants me to walk the path that he's already paved for me."

"And are you going to walk on that path?"

Her lips curled into a forced smile. "I'll find a way not to. Even if I have issues with dad, I know that he believes he has my best interest at his heart. Kaso hindi niya ako kino-consult sa kung ano ang gusto ko. Kaya lalo kaming nagkakaroon ng friction."

"My dad wants me to take ABM as well," I shared. "Pero in-explain ko sa kanya na HUMSS talaga ang gusto kong kunin. After some convincing, he gave me his nod. I have to give credit to my mom who has always been supportive with my decisions. Siya ang back up ko kaya napabago ko ang isip ni Dad. Maybe you can try explaining to your dad why you don't want to take up ABM? He might listen to your concerns."

She covered her mouth as she let out a laugh. "Ilang beses ko nang naikuwento sa 'yo si Papa, 'di ba? You know how he's like. Once his mind is made up, it can't be changed anymore. I would have probably more chance of convincing a rock than him."

"But at least try," I advised. Nothing was wrong with trying anyway. "No matter how small or close to zero the chances are—as long as they're not entirely nil—there's still the possibility that a person can change their mind. Tito Walter listens to reason."

"Only when it comes to his business dealings. But when it comes to me, his word is law. Huwag na nga nating pag-usapan si Papa. Nawawalan tuloy ako ng ganang ubusin 'to kapag naiisip ko kung paano niya ire-reject ang reasoning ko. Basta I will try my best to make sure that I become a journalist someday."

Knowing her, she would surely find a way to make that happen. Hindi siya agad-agad susuko dahil lamang sa isang balakid sa daan niya. Some could say that she was being stubborn, but I would call it a being tenacious.

"I'm curious. Bakit hindi ka sumali sa student pub natin?" I asked. She wanted to change the topic, so I obliged. "Pwede mo ring training ground 'yon kung gusto mong mag-pursue ng career sa journalism. Campus journalist ka muna ngayong student ka, then real journalist ka na after graduation."

"I want to, but they only write about our school's events and achievements," she explained with a frown. "I don't think na mago-grow ako kung puro gano'n ang isusulat ko. I want to write about things that matter—"

"Like corruption in student clubs?" I finished her sentence.

She nodded slowly. "Mas may bigat at may sense 'yon kaysa i-report kung sinong candidate ang nanalo sa Mr. And Ms. UN. Tell me I'm right?"

"You are," I agreed. My voice then became serious. "But you're aware that in your pursuit of the truth, you might make enemies along the way, right?"

"Yeah, I understand the risks." Her eyes looked down. "But I did it anyway because it's the right thing to do. Kung may mali, dapat ipaalam at itama. If you were in my position, wouldn't you have done the same?"

"I would," I answered with a firm nod. "The reason why this world's messy is because most people choose to turn a blind eye to something bad or horrible even if it's already staring at them right in the face. Kaya nga gusto kong mag-take up ng law, para ma-defend ko ang mga inaalipusta, mabigyan ng justice ang mga kinakawawa at ma-expose ang mga kamalian sa society na ginagalawan natin."

Lorelei beamed. "If ever I become a journalist, I would surely write about the cases you win. I do hope na kung sakaling may kasangkutan akong case, you'd be there to defend me."

"I'll give you a friend's discount."

We both laughed. I enjoyed talking about the future with her. We had known each other since our childhood years, so it would be great to see ourselves succeed in our chosen careers.

"Just in case mapatunayan ang allegations laban kay Regina, what could happen to her?" I wondered. "What would be the penalties?"

"She can be suspended—which is more than a slap on the wrist—but she can also be expelled," she answered. "Honestly, I don't want her and her fellow officers to be kicked out of school. I just want them to learn their lesson and to not do it again. Baka pwedeng ibalik nila 'yong nagastos na funds 'tapos tanggalin na sila sa club para hindi na umulit. But it's up to the OSA now."

"Be careful, Lori. Be very careful," I warned her. "People who are posed to lose everything may retaliate in the most extreme of ways. If they're going down, they will make sure to drag someone with them. And in most cases, that someone is the person who pushes them off."

"If Regina or any of her officers would do me harm, they will only get into deeper trouble. Besides, I don't think they're capable. So don't worry about me."

As a friend, I was concerned about her safety. Ayaw kong magpakampante lalo na't kilala ko ang Regina na in-expose niya. She was not the type of person who would just let herself be humiliated especially with a scandal. I wanted to believe in what Lorelei had said, that those people were not capable of doing her any harm. I wished they were not, and that they would not think of anything close to it.

ON THE night of the event, I went to the venue earlier than everyone else. Tumulong ako sa pag-aayos at pagtse-check ng mga equipment at arrangement. Lionel de Leon, the committee chairperson, wanted us to double-check and triple-check everything, just to make sure that we would not overlook anything.

By seven in the evening, students started to pour in the event hall. In-assign ako sa peace and order kaya palakad-lakad ako sa venue. They said that my cool head and physical strength would be an asset in making sure that there would not be any commotion or escalation of that sort during the event. Habang nag-iikot, napansin ko si Lorelei na nasa makeshift bar at nakaupo nang mag-isa sa barstool. She was wearing a cyan midi dress.

"That dress looks good on you," I said, making her turn to me.

"Al!" she exclaimed. Tiningnan niya ako mula ulo hanggang sapatos. "That three-quarter sleeved shirt looks good on you too."

"I have to blend in with the crowd. Mas mabuti kung hindi nila agad mapapansin na part ako ng organizing committee."

"So you're on duty right now?"

I nodded. My gaze darted around the bar, my eyes squinting. "Why are you alone here? 'Di mo ba kasama sina Kim at Shirley kanina?"

"They went somewhere." She craned her neck, her eyes roaming. "May nagpapatawag daw sa kanila. Sasama sana ako kaso ayaw raw nila akong maabala pa kaya mag-stay na lang ako rito."

That was strange. "I wish I can stay with you all throughout the evening, but I've got to walk around and check if someone's not following the rules. With this huge crowd, it's going to be challenging."

"Ano ka ba? Hindi ko naman kailangan ng chaperone o bodyguard," natatawang sagot niya. "Mag-stay ako rito hanggang sa bumalik sina Kim at Shirley. Then I'll try to enjoy the party. I hope I do."

"Maybe I should stay here until those two return." I settled down on a barstool next to her. "Everything seems to be fine anyway. I can spare ten to fifteen minutes."

"Are you sure?" She glanced sideways at me. "Baka pagalitan ka ni Lionel kapag nakita niyang nakatambay ka rito?"

"He won't mind." I smiled at her. "Pwede naman akong mag-monitor sa crowd mula rito. Kung may biglang mag-away, mapapansin ko naman kapag may sudden movements o may mga sumisigaw na."

"Just be ready to dash at any moment—"

"Al! Al!"

Lorelei and I turned to our boy classmate who had emerged from the crowd. Napayuko siya at hinabol muna ang kanyang hininga. He seemed and sounded a bit troubled.

"Is something wrong?" I stepped down from the barstool and approached him.

"Member ka ng organizing committee, 'di ba?" tanong ng classmate naming si Jacob. "Napilay kasi si Arvin habang humahataw sa dance floor. Magpapatulong sana kaming dalhin siya sa clinic!"

"Wala bang medic malapit sa inyo?"

"Walang tao noong lumapit kami sa station nila. May iba yata silang inaasikasong estudyante."

"Sige, puntahan natin siya." Humarap agad ako kay Lorelei. "Just stay here, okay? I'll be back as soon as I help out Arvin."

"Don't worry about me, Al," she said with a shake of her head. "Hindi naman ako mawawala. Just do what you have to do."

"Lead the way!" I told Jacob, and we both ran into the crowd. We had to squeeze ourselves between students who were enjoying the music and dancing to the upbeat tune. Ilang beses akong nagsabi ng "excuse me" at kinailangan ko pang lakasan dahil sa lakas ng tugtog. Ilang beses din akong nasiko at natapakan, ngunit hindi ko inalintana.

We reached the other end of the hall. He had to run this far just to reach me. Tumingin ako sa direksyon ng medic's station. Tama nga ang sinabi niya, walang nakaistasyon doon. Ibinaling ko ang aking atensyon sa isa pa naming classmate na nakaupo sa sahig at naka-stretch nang deretso ang kanang binti.

"How are you, Arvin?" I asked as I knelt beside him. "Ano'ng nangyari?"

"I missed a step habang sumasayaw," sagot niya sabay ngiwi. "Na-sprain yata ang ankle ko."

"Can I see?" I rolled up the bottom hem and removed his shoes then socks. Napahiyaw siya nang dumampi ang kamay ko sa ankle niya. This part of the hall was dark, I could not see the swelling so I had to feel it with my hands.

That's strange. He was writhing in pain every time I touched his ankle, but I did not feel any enlarged part of his left foot.

"Baka pwede natin siyang dalhin sa clinic at ipatingin doon?" suhesityon ni Jacob. "Kung hihintayin pa natin ang mga medic, baka lumala 'yang sprain ni Arvin."

"Dalhin n'yo na ako sa clinic, please!" pagmamakaawa ni Arvin habang ngumingiwi. "Gusto ko nang matanggal ang sakit!"

"Help me carry him—"

I was posed to lift his legs carefully when a worrying thought struck me. Dahan-dahan kong ibinaba ang mga binti niya.

The circumstances that led me to this spot of the venue were curious. Lorelei was left alone by her two friends at the makeshift bar . . . Jacob had to run across the hall just to reach me and ask for my help . . . The medics happened to be not at their station . . . Arvin was writhing in pain even if I felt no swelling on his foot . . . Now they wanted me to bring him to the clinic. It felt as if this was a scripted scene in a play.

"Mas mabuti kung mag-i-stay ka muna riyan," sabi ko kay Arvin. "Your sprain might get worse if we move you around. The medics will be back soon. They can attend to you and give you proper treatment."

"Pero Al—"

I ran off and went back to the bar. Lorelei was nowhere to be found. Vacant na ang lahat ng barstools doon. Posible bang pumunta siya sa washroom kaya wala siya rito? O baka niyaya siya nina Kim at Shirley na kumuha ng snacks at drinks? I must be certain.

"Excuse me?" I called the bartender's attention. "Saan po nagpunta 'yong babaeng nakaupo kanina rito? Cyan 'yong kulay ng dress niya."

"May kumausap na babae sa kanya kanina 'tapos may nagyayang sumayaw sa kanya," sagot nito sabay turo sa dance floor. "Teka, nandoon silang dalawa kanina, ah? Bakit biglang nawala?"

Lorelei danced with a guy? No, she would not. Never. Hindi siya basta-basta papayag na sumayaw lalo na kung hindi niya gano'n kakilala. Hindi rin siya talaga mahilig na sumayaw. Someone or something must have made her agree to it.

Doon na ako biglang kinutuban. Agad kong inilabas ang aking phone at i-d-in-ial ang number ng head organizer. "Hello, Lionel? Can you please seal off the entrance and exit of the hall? Just for ten minutes?"

"Bakit, Al? Meron bang nanakawan sa mga estudyante? You want to make sure that the thief won't escape?"

"Lori's missing. I have a bad feeling about it," I told him as my head kept on panning from left to right, searching for my friend. It would be hard to do a search in this dark, crowded place. "I'm going to find her, but I need to make sure that whoever took her wouldn't have any point of exit."

"Okay! I'll let the other boys know. If you need back up, just tell me."

I was glad that Lionel did not ask too much about it. Wala akong ebidensya na nawawala nga si Lorelei. I only listened to my gut feeling. And it told me that she could be in potential danger!

I could be wrong, of course. I wished I was. Hindi baleng mapahiya ako kay Lionel basta alam kong nasa ligtas na sitwasyon si Lorelei.

Wasting no more seconds, I ran across the hall again, looking at every direction. Part of me hoped that she was just dancing with her friends. But the bartender mentioned that a guy asked her to dance with him. If she was indeed taken away, she would be brought to a place where there was not much of a crowd. Mabuti't part ako ng organizing committee kaya alam ko ang layout ng hall. May ilang rooms dito na pwedeng pagdalhan sa kanya

Please be safe, Lori!

They would not bring her to the men's or women's room. May mga janitor na nagtse-check doon every fifteen minutes para siguruhing malinis.

They would not bring her to the green room. Doon nag-i-stay ang mga singer at band member habang hinihintay ang kanilang turn para mag-perform.

They would not bring her to the kitchen or the prep room. Doon nakaistasyon ang mga concessionaire na naghahanda ng food at drinks namin.

That would leave only one place: the storage room! Walang rason para pumunta roon ang ibang tao o i-check iyon from time to time. No one would also find it suspicious if it was locked.

I halted in front of the storage room's door which was meters away from the dance floor and the tables. I held the doorknob and tried to turn it as quietly as possible, but it did not budge. May mga narinig pa akong bulungan mula sa loob. Pwede kong hanapin ang taong may hawak sa susi nito, ngunit matatagalan bago namin mabuksan ang pinto. Every second that passed by was crucial.

So I chose the most expedient way to open it. I mustered all of my strength and slammed my body against the door. Dahil sa kalumaan ng pinto, agad iyong bumigay at bumukas. Pumasok ang liwanag mula sa labas at nakita ko ang apat na lalaking nakatayo nang palibot sa isang babae na nakahiga sa sahig.

"Lori!" I called her, but she was unresponsive.

"Bakit nandito si Al?"

"'Di ba dapat tinutulungan niya si Arvin?"

"Nakatunog yata siya sa plano natin."

"Shush!"

I knew it. They tried to isolate Lorelei from her friends so they could execute their plan!

"Ano'ng ginawa n'yo sa kanya?" kalmado kong tanong habang nakakuyom ang mga kamao ko. Dahan-dahan akong lumapit sa kanila. "Bakit dinala n'yo siya rito?"

Adelbert, the tallest among the four, raised both of his hands. "Nagkakamali ka ng iniisip, Al. Wala kaming ginagawa kay Lorelei. Niyaya ko siyang sumayaw 'tapos nahimatay siya. Walang medic sa station kaya dinala namin siya rito, malayo sa ingay at nakasu-suffocate na dance floor."

"Oo, tinulungan namin siya!"

"Dapat nga pasalamat pa siya sa amin!"

I looked down on Lorelei. She was unconscious and her dress still looked okay. Kung may balak mang masama ang mga ito sa kanya, hindi pa nila nagagawa o nauumpisahan. Maybe I made it just in time.

My fists clenched so tight, my nails dug deep into my palms. I should not have left her alone at the bar. I should have been with her.

"Who put you up to this?" I asked.

"What?"

"Ano'ng pinagsasabi mo, Al?"

"Mababait kaming tao kaya tinulungan namin siya."

"If you wanted to help her because she fell unconscious, you shouldn't have brought her to a cramped space like this storage room and you shouldn't have locked the door." My eyes bounced from one guy to another. "May binabalak kayong masama sa kanya."

"Hindi ko alam kung saan mo nakuha ang ideya na 'yan—"

Before Adelbert could finish his sentence, he threw a jab at me. Thanks to my quick reflexes, I managed to dodge his fist. But the attacks went on. Sumabay na ang tatlo pa niyang kasama. I put my guard up. I did not want to engage in a fist fight—I was against any form of violence to settle an issue—but they forced me to take this course of action.

"Is there no other way I can talk you out of this one? Gusto n'yo ba talagang magkapisikalan tayo?"

"It's four versus one, Al. You won't stand a chance against us."

"I like those odds."

One by one, they groaned and dropped unconscious on the floor after I hit them in the nape. Tama nga ang desisyon ni Lionel na i-assign ako sa peace and order ng event.

I rushed to Lorelei's side and placed her head gently on my lap. "Lori? Lori?" I checked her breathing and her pulse rate. They were normal. Wala lamang talaga siyang malay. Baka may ipinaamoy o ipinainom sa kanya kaya unconscious siya ngayon.

Thank God. I heaved a long sigh of relief as I bowed my head. Mabuti't walang nangyaring masama sa kanya. Hindi ko mapatatawad ang sarili ko kung meron.

I called Lionel and asked for assistance in the storage room. Dinala namin si Lorelei sa clinic at doon muna siya pinagpahinga. Dinala naman sa isa pang room ang apat na lalaki para kausapin at malaman ang puno't dulo nito.

Soon after, Lorelei would seek professional help because of the trauma brought about by what happened that night, and those who were involved would be expelled. Tito Walter saw to it that expulsion was not the only punishment for them. He made sure that no other school would accept them.

—to be continued—

If you've enjoyed this update and you have some thoughts to share, let me know by posting or tweeting with the hashtag #QEDOrigins!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 957 7
An AU where Lorelei Rios and Loki Mendez swapped bodies. (Part 8 of Lorelei x Loki fan fiction.) --- The art used in cover is not mine. Characters fr...
MORIARTEA By akosiibarra

Mystery / Thriller

4.2M 135K 16
Meet the detectives of the Moriartea Cafe. Cover artwork by @CryAllen
82.6M 2.4M 73
Erityian Tribes Series, Book ļ¼ƒ1 || Not your ordinary detective story.
43.2K 692 8
A Fanfiction of our beloved Q.E.D. club.