๐๐€๐๐ƒ๐Ž๐‘๐€'๐’ ๐๐Ž๐—...

By braekerofchains

โ”โ” โฆ—๐๐€๐๐ƒ๐Ž๐‘๐€'๐’ ๐๐Ž๐—! โฆ˜ โ you're letting out pandora's box, cain richards . a... More

pandora's box
he will find her
vol. i โ–ฌ do you remember?
i. in her dreams
ii. ten different ways
iii. her mark
v. vengeful appetite
vi. team leo
vii. merry-go-round
viii. looking-glass
ix. ghost ship
x. peace and fear
xi. sunshine

iv. boy in the bubble

1.4K 78 55
By braekerofchains

chapter four!
004. boy in the bubble

leo

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    LEO FELT LIKE he was going to cry.

    He clenched his hands and forced the lump deep back inside his throat. He couldn't look Annabeth in the eye, feeling like the air had left him alone▬and he couldn't breathe. He could make many things, but the one thing he wished for painfully, was the ability to invent a time machine▬a way to go back before it all happened and stop himself. To never step foot onto this ship. To tell them no, please, I will ruin everything. (Like always). Just so he couldn't feel this horrific guilt that ate him up inside to feel the burn of the gaze Annabeth sent him.

    She was trying to be calm and understand. She was trying to be gentle, but he could hear the curtness in her voice▬the way her words clipped and her breaths were sharp through her nose. He could hear the anger, the disappointment, the betrayal and the distrust▬he has learnt how to hear it; he was used to it.

    "One more time," she said again, lips pursed. "Exactly what happened?"

    Leo slumped against the mast. His head fell into his arms and down against his knees. His heart pounded and his eyes stung▬he could feel his cheeks burn with frustration and shame; or maybe his tears had finally broke through. He had a pounding headache, like someone had hit him with a hammer. All around him, his ship▬the ship he had worked on, found a purpose in; that made him feel important and needed, was barely keeping aloft. The aft crossbows were piles of kindling, the foresail was tattered. Festus was laughing up smoke like had a hairball. The engine he put his heart and soul into wheezed, exhausted and struggling.

    (And it was all his fault).

    He choked back a sob. Leo clenched his eyes shut, hating how Annabeth was seeing him like this▬how everyone who stood here was seeing him like this. Weak, incapable, guilty. "I▬I don't know," he muttered miserably. "You have to believe me, I don't know▬" he clenched his hands when he felt more tears. "It's▬it's all fuzzy."

    Beside him, Savreen sat with her knees to her chest and her arms wrapped around her legs. Leo wasn't sure whether she was here for him, or to make sure no one attacked him out of anger▬he wasn't exactly sure which one he wanted. Her dark hair had fallen out of her ponytail and she hadn't bothered to pull it back. There were a few cuts and scratches on her cheeks and arms from flying pebbles and plates. She looked tearful herself▬scared, even▬but was trying hard not to show it. But she wore her heat on her sleeve. Leo's stomach twisted. He had done that to her. He had caused the attack that hurt her. (What would she think of him, now? What would they all think? Would he be kicked out? Would they throw him to the gutter like everyone else has done before).

     There were too many people looking at him. Annabeth with her steel, iron gaze, Coach Hedge who didn't look any happier, and the newcomer, Frank.

     Leo wasn't sure what to make of Frank. At first glance, he didn't seem at all intimidating. He had a kind face, kind eyes, and a shy stance that couldn't exactly meet him in the eye, either. But even while his memory was hazy, he vividly recalled this extraordinary, terrifying dragon land on the ship▬and that dragon had turned into Frank.

    Annabeth continued to frown. She crossed her arms, "You mean you don't remember?"

   "I..." he wanted to kick himself. He felt as if he was trying to swallow a marble. He didn't know what happened. He didn't. He felt as if he had watched it all happened▬a ghost unable to touch; unable to stop himself from destroying everything they've worked for. Everything he worked for. "I remember," he admitted, upset. "But it▬it was like I was watching myself do things. I couldn't control it."

    Coach Hedge tapped his baseball bat against the deck. Like nothing had changed since the Wilderness School, the satyr wore the same gym clothes with his cap pulled over his horns. The way he glowered, Leo felt as if he was about to be ordered to do push-ups.

    "Look, kid," he began, "you blew up some stuff. You attacked some Romans. Awesome! Excellent! But did you have to knock out the satellite channels? I was right in the middle of watching a cage match!"

    "Coach," Annabeth looked like she was resisting the urge to snap, "why don't you make sure all the fires are out?"

    "But I already did that."

    "Do it again."

     Hedge wasn't happy. He grumbled and scoffed incoherently▬mutterings about whatever. But even he wasn't prepared to anger Annabeth any more, trudging off with a grumpy step to his hooves.

    Once he was gone, Annabeth took a deep breath. Then, she pursed her lips. Carefully, she knelt in front of Leo and he finally met her gaze▬tearful and pained. There was something about the daughter of Athena that reminded him of a greek statue: fierce, pointed and designed to absolute perfection. She was well thought out, she was chipped and moulded with a perfectionist's touch. He was once told that the children of Athena were born from the goddess's mind, like she had been▬and he wondered whether that meant each and every one of them were very much sculpted to exactly how Athena wanted them to be; prepared for exactly what they were supposed to do in their lives. If that was true, Annabeth was very much proof of it.

    "Leo," she tried a softer tone, "did Octavian trick you somehow? Did he frame you, or▬?"

     He found himself briefly meeting Savreen's eyes. She hadn't said a word yet▬Leo had a feeling she wouldn't. She fiddled with her fingers, watching him carefully. He thought about lying▬about blaming that stupid Roman. But he couldn't. Not when she stared at him like that, and already knew his truth before he even knew it himself. It pained him to say it, but he shook his head: "No."

     Frank's eyes widened. Annabeth kept her gaze, nonchalant and un-breaking. Savreen watched them both, silent and observing. Leo could see the necklace underneath the collar of her shirt▬it always glowed a dim dusty pink, and he hated it. It made her beautiful▬stunning, even, in a way he doesn't believe he has even properly comprehended it. He couldn't. He stared at her and it was like he forgot all coherent thought. She was just beautiful. Everything about her seemed to remind him of every feature he liked, his favourite eye-colour, his favourite hair-colour▬she reminded him of morse code late night chats, of warm fires and the smell of an old mechanic workshop. She had before, but now it was like all of that had been put together into a blinding sun▬and he gravitated towards it; amazed and bitter all the same. Because he knew what that necklace did to her. He knew what curse it brought. It blessed her with ageless beauty; as if not a day had passed since she started to wear it ... but it was different than the Savreen he knew, and he found her beautiful. He found her stunning. He had been in awe of her without any magical tragedy.

    Before he got distracted, and he wouldn't be able to stop himself from grabbing that necklace and stamping it under his foot, Leo wiped his clammy palms on his jean shorts and said again. "No. The guy was a jerk, but he didn't fire on the camp. I ..." he sighed. "I did."

    Frank's soft, gentle brows sharpened into a deep, deadly scowl▬and Leo saw more resemblance to the dragon than he did before. There was a fire behind his eyes, and it sort of scared him. "On purpose?"

    "No!" let out Leo quickly. Then, he clenched his eyes shut. "No▬I▬I mean▬"

    Something gentle brushed against his knee▬his gaze snapped open and there Savreen was. She rested her leg against his, barely touching, but just enough for warmth to spread up his legs and to his heart. Leo had finally found the ability to breathe again. She subtly nodded, silent▬though he knew what she was saying. It's okay. It wasn't okay, but she somehow made him believe it was.

    "It was," managed Leo eventually. "I mean, sort of, yes. I▬I didn't want to. But at the same time I ... I felt like I wanted to. Something was making me do it. There was this cold feeling inside me▬"

     He watched Annabeth's steel stare dull to an eerie storm. "A cold feeling..." she breathed. She sounded scared. Leo didn't know Annabeth to be scared▬let alone show it, unless a spider crawled into view and she'd gone before he could even blink.

     Leo frowned back at her, his misery lifting enough for a heavy dread to settle with it in the pit of his stomach. "Yeah ... why?"

    She looked away, her mind racing▬and it wasn't anything good. But before she could say anything else, from belowdeck, Cain called up, "Annabeth, we need you."

    Leo's stomach lurched. He felt Savreen stiffen beside him. They held their breaths, a horrible thought hitting them▬Jason. Gods, Jason. Was he okay?

    As soon as they were on board, Piper had taken Jason below. The cut on his head had looked pretty bad▬Leo only caught a glimpse of it. He felt sick. Leo's first memories of Jason Grace had been albeit a figment of his imagination▬but they felt just as real as the friend he had become. They had shared a dorm, and Leo was sure he had annoyed Jason when they first met, but then he chuckled at one of his stupid jokes▬just like that, the memory of who Jason could have been stuck with Leo. They had been friends. Now, Leo had started to know the real Jason Grace. And while he was different, he was still the same. He chuckled at his stupid jokes, he forgot where he put things and he sat with Leo in comfortable silence in Bunker 9▬not wanting him to be alone. He was serious, and he always seemed to be brooding. Leo was wild, and he was impulsive, and he hid his pain in stupid ways▬they couldn't be more different. But Jason Grace was his friend▬one of his best friends. He was one of the only people Leo didn't want to run away from; instead, Leo wanted to follow him wherever he ventured. They were both broken. They both grew up not wanted by those who mattered most. They had been alone. They understood each other in a way that was unsaid, but it was rooted in them; locking them together in a strong bond. Like a promise to the River Styx, the promise of their friendship could not be broken.

    And if Jason didn't make it ...

    Leo already felt as if a part of him was being torn away.

    Annabeth noticed. Her frown lifted. "He'll be fine," she assured him▬the both of them. "Frank, Sav, I'll be back. Just ... watch Leo. Please."

    She didn't mean it like that▬or perhaps she did. Either way, Leo felt a blow to his chest. Annabeth barely knew Frank, and she trusted him more than she trusted Leo.

    He hung his head again, wanting nothing more than to just disappear.

   Once Annabeth was gone, Leo could feel Frank's stare. It made him uncomfortable. When he glanced up, he found himself hunched and incredulous▬like he was some mystery wrapped in a puzzle ... or the other way around (how did that analogy go?). Savreen fiddled with her ring. She looked like she wanted to say something but wouldn't with Frank around. Leo wanted him to go away.

     But he didn't. Instead, he dropped his hands by his side and huffed, just as awkward as the rest of them. He had changed out of his robes, now wearing a grey pullover and jeans. He had found a bow and quiver from the ships armoury; he had slung it over his shoulder. One hand reached back up to clutch the strap, as if the touch of it made him feel better.

    After a long silence, he pursed his lips and said, "So ... Your name isn't Sammy?"

   Savreen frowned. "Who?" she let out while Leo scowled and snapped: "What kind of question is that?"

   "Nothing," replied Frank immediately, flushing at the cheeks with sudden embarrassment. "I just▬Nothing. Look," he sighed and offered his best, stiff smile. "About the firing on the camp ... Octavian could be behind it, like magically or something. He didn't want the Romans getting along with you guys."

    He wanted to believe that. Deep down, Leo was grateful that Frank didn't hate him for what he did. But he knew it hadn't been Octavian. Leo had walked to a ballista and started firing. Part of him had known it was wrong. He had asked himself: what are you doing? But he had done it anyway.

    Maybe he was going crazy▬all of these months stressing about working on the Argo II had finally made him crack it.

    Leo couldn't think like that. He needed to do something▬he needed to keep moving. Always keep moving. "Look," he said, "I should talk to Festus and get a damage report. You mind...?"

    Frank helped him up. Savreen followed them. "Who is Festus?"

    The daughter of Harmonia smiled. For the first time, she spoke up, and her voice was sweet like honey. "He's our friend," she said happily. "He might look and act scary, but he's a real sweetheart. He is happy, just like his name."

    "His name isn't Sammy, either," added Leo, leading the way. He glanced back over his shoulder at Frank who watched them go, a little dumbfounded. "Just in case you were wondering. Come on. I'll introduce you."

     "Festus..." Frank slowly murmured as he followed. As they got closer, he realised. "Wait▬you mean the bronze figurehead? You named your ship figurehead Happy?"

     Fortunately, the bronze dragon wasn't damaged. Well▬if one didn't consider the fact he used to be a full-sized, full-bodied metal dragon until he crashed last winter. Leo didn't count that, though. When they reached the bow of the ship, Festus turned around to face them▬one-hundred and eighty degrees. Frank nearly startled himself an aneurism. He helped and stumbled away.

    "It's alive!" he exclaimed, horrified.

    Savreen smiled▬though it didn't reach her eyes. She placed a hand on the side of Festus's snout. She leaned in and listened to the little groans of cogs▬creaks and squeaks in a certain patten she and Leo knew very well. Once Festus had finished, she turned back to Frank and said, "He says hello."

    Frank stared back at her like she was mad. "That▬it didn't say anything."

   Leo would have laughed if he didn't feel so bad. "Frank, this is Festus. He used to be a full bronze dragon, but we had an accident."

    He eyed Leo out of the corner of his eye. He was hesitant on getting any closer to the bronze figurehead that huffed out a ring of smoke from his nostrils. "You have a lot of accidents," he noted instead.

    Leo arched a brow, admittedly annoyed at the comment▬it was easier to be annoyed than to show how he really felt: hurt. He grumbled a reply. Only later did he realise he said it in Spanish, cursed, and rolled his eyes to himself to have to say it all over again: "Some of us can't turn into dragons, so we have to build our own▬" he summarised, choosing to leave out a few specific words that may not be that nice. "Anyway, I revived him as a figure head. He's kind of the ship's main interface now. How are things looking, Festus?"

    Festus snorted and coughed phrases in smoke; a series of squeaks, cracks and whirs. Over the last few months, Leo had learned to interpret it. Other demigods could understand Latin or Greek. He on the other hand could speak the refined language of Creak and Squeak. And he did his best to teach Savreen it▬not because she asked, but because ... well ... it was something else that was special just to them. He liked that.

    Leo pursed his lips, listening intently. Then, he shrugged, "Eh▬could be worse, but the hull is compromised in several places. The port aerial oars have to be fixed before he can go full speed again. We'll need some repair materials: Celestial bronze, tar, lime▬"

    "What do you need limes for?"

    Leo muttered a few more choice words in Spanish. "Lime," he corrected pointedly. "Dude▬lime. Calcium carbonate, used in cement and a bunch of other▬" he dipped into a whisper of frustration, switching between English and Spanish with ease. "Never mind. The point is this ship isn't going far unless we can fix it."

    Click-creak▬Leo broke off his thoughts to listen to Festus's next comment. He didn't recognise it. It sounded like AY-zuhl. It took him a moment before he realised:

    "Oh ... Hazel," he deciphered. "That's the girl with the curly hair right?"

    Frank was rapt with attention, "Is she okay?"

   "Yeah, she's fine," muttered Leo absent-mindedly, translating as he listened: "According to Festus, her horse is racing down below. She's following us." A breath of relief then swelled in Leo's chest. "She's got Claire with her."

    Savreen sighed, and her smile this time was genuine, "Thank the gods. I'll let Annabeth know." She dashed down towards the stairs to belowdeck▬Leo watched her go, wishing she stayed.

    "We've got to land, then," said Frank, breaking Leo from his stare.

    He studied him. "She's your girlfriend?"

    Frank chewed on his lip. "Uh ... y▬yeah. Yes."

   "You don't sound so sure."

   "Yes. Yes, definitely. I'm sure."

    Leo held up his hands at the hostility Frank held. "Whoa▬okay, fine. The problem is we can only manage one landing. The way the hull and the oars are, we won't be able to lift off again until we repair, so we'll have to make sure we land somewhere will all the right supplies."

    Frank pursed his lips. He scratched his head, sheepish. "Uh ... where do you get Celestial Bronze? You can't just stock up at Home Depot."

   "Festus, do a scan."

   "He can scan for magic bronze?" Frank guffawed, marvelled. "Is there anything he can't do?"

    Leo chose not to say anything, feeling a breath of sadness to think of how Festus used to be. He ran a tender hand down his neck, feeling the heat▬every inner working; every knob and every twist; every whir that made him something far from being a creature of flesh and bone, but to Leo▬he was his creation. His work▬something he achieved; when Festus was crazed and uncontrollable, Leo had managed to fix him. And while he had crashed, part of him was still here▬and that part of him wasn't some accident, wasn't some mistake▬wasn't something Leo messed up.

    He peered over the ship's bow. The Central California valley passed below. Leo didn't hold out much hope that they could find what they needed all in one place, but they had to try. Leo also wanted to put as much distance as possible between himself and New Rome. The Argo II could cover vast distances pretty quickly, thanks to its magical engine, but Leo figured the Romans had magic travel methods of their own.

    Behind him, the stairs creaked. Savreen returned▬the look on her face was grim. Leo thought the worst. His heart stumbled. "Is Jason▬?"

    "He's okay," she told him. "He's ... he's resting. Pipes is keeping an eye on him. But ... but he's okay."

     Leo stammered, wanting to say▬well, what? Sorry? Jason wasn't here to hear it. Either way, he didn't get the chance. Seconds later, a larger shadow hovered behind Savreen. Percy rushed into the open with Annabeth and Cain at his heels. Leo stared at the son of Poseidon▬and it was almost weird. For so long, all Leo has heard was stories of Percy Jackson, like he was some hero from Ancient Greek mythology. Camp Half-Blood treated him like a legend, Annabeth treated him like he was a ridiculous idiot, Claire had almost broken herself to exhaustion trying to find him ... even though Leo has never met him before, he felt as if he knew him. Now, he quickly realised that wasn't true. Despite all of the tales, and the stories, and the praises of the hero that Percy Jackson was, he was a complete stranger▬and it was a strange feeling to see him, standing and breathing right before him. Real, and not a sad whisper at the campfires, not an empty cabin or a table.

    The praetor robes were gone, and the son of Poseidon rushed over in a blue shirt and jeans. Blue, thought Leo. How ridiculously fitting.

    Percy marched over to him. Leo only just noticed the hard glower he held▬a dark, bottomless, stormy sea. "Annabeth says you did fire the ballista?"

    Leo stammered. He hunched up, not expecting him to storm up to him so suddenly▬Percy towered over Leo, and he had to step back. "I▬I▬" his words were stuck in the back of his throat. "I▬I don't understand how it happened. I'm so sorry▬"

   "Sorry?!" he let out, his voice rising.

    Annabeth quickly stepped forward. She held a hand out in front of Percy, stopping him a stern stare. "We'll figure it out later," she told him, and she did not leave room for discussion. "Right now, we have to regroup and make a plan. What's the situation with the ship?"

    Leo's legs trembled. The way Percy had look at him made him feel the same as when Jason summoned lightning. His skin tingled and every instinct in his body screamed, Duck! Everyone called the son of Poseidon a legend, a hero, sometimes (most of the time) an idiot and a loyal friend ... what they forgot to tell him was how scary he could be.

    Without looking at Percy once, Leo told Annabeth about the damage and the supplies they needed. He felt better talking about something that could be fixed. He was sighing about their lack of Celestial bronze when Festus began to whir and squeak. Leo stopped mid sentence to turn▬he soon slumped with relief. At least something was going right.

    "Yes," he grinned. "Gracias, Festus!"

     "What?" Percy demanded.

      "Hey," whispered Cain to him, and the two friends shared a short look. Leo had gotten to know Cain ... well, sort of gotten to know him the past few months. He may look rough, and tough, with a metal arm that made him seem as if he had stepped right out of a Marvel comic book. But despite being the son of Phobos, Cain was a gentle soul. It was jarring. Because whenever Leo looked at him, all he could smell was ash▬putrid ash. And he was that scared little kid again watching his mother burn in the workshop fire. It made Leo unable to trust him. For how could someone who knew his deepest, darkest fear without even asking could have not a bad bone in him? It didn't matter if Cain meant well, anyone who had that power bestowed upon them ... have it weigh on their shoulders and corrupt their mind ... they would have to hold some part of them that wasn't as genuine as everyone believed. There was a part of Cain Richards that could easily hurt more than just a fly; a dangerous part.

    "Good news," Leo said, forcing all of his troubling thoughts deep down and locking them away.

    "Good news?" sighed Annabeth. "I could use some good news right about now."

    Leo managed a smile. "Everything we need in one place. Frank, why don't you turn into a bird or something? Fly down and tell your girlfriend to meet us at the Great Salt Lake in Utah."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    THE LANDING wasn't pretty. Leo could barely manage a controlled descent▬with the oars damaged and the foresail torn, he struggled to make sure they didn't drop straight down. The others had strapped themselves in below▬all except Coach Hedge, who, in his deranged normality, cheered from where he clung onto the forward rail: "YEAH▬!" he shouted out into the descending sky. "BRING IT ON, LAKE!" Festus was wailing creaks and groans of warning. Leo gritted his teeth and kept going. He didn't have much time to take in the scenery▬or any, at all. The world around him had become a blur of cityscapes, mountainous slopes that were a stretch of blue and purple in the afternoon shadows, and a flat desert landscape. All he focused on was what lied directly beneath him▬the Great Salt Lake that glittered like aluminium foil, the shoreline etched with white salt marshes.

    "Hang on, Coach!" he shouted at the top of his lungs. "This is going to hurt!"

   "I WAS BORN FOR HURT!"

    Leo's joints and bones jolted and jared▬FFHOOM! A swell of salt water washed over the bow, dousing Coach Hedge from horns to hooves. The Argo II listed dangerously to starboard, then righted itself and rocked on the surface of the lake. Leo kept his feet planted and his grip tight, waiting until the remaining oars dipped into the water and began moving them forward with a dreadful, deep wheeze.

    "Yeah!" Coach Hedge was crying out, dripping water and throwing his fists up into the air. He was grinning like crazy. "Do it again!"

    Leo stared at him, not sure whether to be exasperated or incredulous. "Uh ... maybe later. Just stay above deck, okay? You can keep watch, in case▬you know, the ... uh ... lake decides to attack us ... or▬or something."

    Hedge didn't even hear the sarcasm. "On it!" he promised and set himself back against the rails, glowering with menace down at the water below.

    Leo rang the All clear bell and headed for the stairs. Before he got there, something trotted up onto the deck▬the clop, clop, clop of hooves. He glanced back and saw a tanned stallion kick his legs, annoyed at the feeling of the wooden deck. Hazel Levesque rode bareback. Claire Moore was with her. She looked pale, a little shaken▬completely different to how she had when they first arrived at New Rome. But other than that, she seemed okay.

    "How▬?" Leo stared, shocked. His question died in his throat. "We're in the middle of a lake! Can that thing fly?"

    The horse whined at him, angry.

    "Arion can't fly," said Hazel▬her voice was distant and unsure as she stared back at him. "But he can run across just about anything. Water, vertical surfaces, small mountains▬none of that bothers him."

    He couldn't think of anything else to say except, "Oh."

    Hazel was still watching him. The same way she had during the feast in the forum▬like she was searching for something in his face, and Leo wasn't sure whether she was haunted or disappointed by what she found. He was tempted to ask if they had met before, but he was sure they hadn't.

    Their stare down was interrupted when Claire spoke up, her voice hoarse, "Where's Percy?"

    Leo frowned at her. She didn't look well▬at all. "He's below deck."

    She nodded. "Okay," she muttered, with nothing of the same determination Leo knew her to have. "Okay. I'll head down▬"

    "Hang on," Hazel stopped her before she could dismount, grasping her arm tight to keep her in place. "You look like you can barely walk."

    "You look dead," Leo blurted out.

    "I don't know what happened ..." Claire frowned, slow. "I just ... we were talking, and then the explosions started and I grabbed him▬"

     "You grabbed who?" he was having a hard time catching up.

     "I don't feel well," mumbled the daughter of Apollo. "I▬"

     Hazel's eyes widened, "You grabbed him," she whispered, as if this was some revelation that explained everything. Leo was clueless. "Tim▬he must've accidentally cursed you."

    Leo held his hands up, "Hey▬back up. Who is cursing who with what? Tim who?"

    "Tim Moore," said Hazel gravely. "He is the son of Apollo▬he is gifted with the ability to curse disease just by a single touch, if he▬"

   He was still trying to catch up, "Moore?" he let out, incredulous. He met Claire's tired gaze. "Like▬? You mean▬? Moore as in...?"

    The Light's Kin didn't give him an answer. Leo was scared that if he pushed her more, she might actually cry. "I need▬" she swallowed hard. "I need to see Percy."

    Leo objected, "Uh▬you need Ambrosia. Come on."

    He ignored the strange stare Hazel gave him and helped her get Claire off the large stallion. As soon as they were off his back, Arion reared onto his hind legs and disappeared in a blur. When Leo asked where he had gone, Hazel shrugged and said, "He's a free spirit. He'll graze around the lake until I call him."

    The Argo II was designed like an Ancient Greek trireme▬only twice as big. The first deck had one central corridor with crew cabins on either side. On a normal trireme, most of the space would have been taken up with three rows of benches where the soldiers would grasp the oars and labour away. Thank the Gods, Leo decided on automated ones. The ship's power came from the engine room on the second and lowest deck, which also housed sickbay, storage and the stables. Leo started towards the stairwell, determined to grab some of the remarkable healing food of the gods before Claire might pass out (and Percy would yell at him▬again▬), but she stubbornly turned away, pushing herself towards the commons room. Hazel watched her go, a little stumped.

    "Yeah," muttered Leo, sighing. "She does that."

    The ship had eleven cabins▬ten for the demigods of the prophecy, and a room for Coach Hedge (who, as their satyr chaperone and senior protector, needed to accompany them on the quest▬as per Chiron's orders. Leo didn't have the guts to tell him that Coach Hedge needed to be chaperoned away from eating the cabin door knobs). At the stern was a large mess hall, lounge, the commons room▬whatever they chose to call it, it could be anything. Claire stopped halfway and Leo rushed forward, grabbing her elbow incase she was going to fall.

    She and Savreen were close. Which meant, somehow, Claire seemed to think Leo was also worthy of being liked▬which was a stark contrast to the angry, murderous girl who marched up to them, yelling, at the Grand Canyon. He didn't even know how he hasn't made her spontaneously combust in frustration. But he supposed he had a thing for befriending people who were polar opposites to him▬because despite it, they all shared the same gut-wrenching, depressing trauma from their childhoods. Though, if Leo ever once called them 'Trauma Buddies' again, he was sure Claire was going to curse him to speak in rhymes for the rest of his life instead of a fortnight.

    But it was because of this that he understood: what mattered most to Claire right now, was not to look after herself, but to make sure Percy was still here. That he was around▬that she hadn't imagined it all; that she hadn't lost him all over again.

    On the way, they passed Jason's room. The door was open. Leo saw Piper sitting at the side of his berth, holding Jason's hand while he slept. She glanced over and saw them. Leo stopped, feeling his throat start to choke up. But then Piper's brows lifted and she smiled, happy to see him. Leo took a deep breath, not sure why her response made him suddenly want to cry, but it did. She placed her finger to her lips before mouthing, Talk to you later, Repair Boy.

    She knew. She knew what he did, and he wasn't sure whether she realised he had done it on his own accord, felt like he was watching himself make such a horrible decision, or thought Octavian had made him▬he didn't know which one he wanted her to believe. Leo was too scared to hope that she thought them all, and yet still refused to hold it over him▬because after everything they've been through together, she trusted him. She knew the last thing he ever wanted to do was destroy something  instead of fix it ... but Leo knew that would be too good to be true, for him, at least. No one saw past the boy who joked and didn't take things seriously. He was a Latino cliche that he hated seeing in movies▬the comedic relief. The mechanic. The dumb, ADHD best friend that joked and never stopped moving (or flirting), who loved food and had barely any character development and was always forgotten about▬but he didn't change. Because everybody loved that character all the same. Leo thought▬stupidly (how ironic?)▬that it would make people love him, too. Instead, all he had become was a ridiculous fraud. All he had become was a lie in order to hide all of the pain.

   They moved on. Keep moving, he repeated the mantra that has kept him alive. Running, and running▬always running. He thought that Camp Half-Blood had become a place he wanted to stay▬that he could feel at home. He believed it, but despite it, these six months, all he had done was hide away ... Leo couldn't change. He couldn't develop, no matter how much▬deep down▬he wanted to.

    When they reached the mess hall, they found the others all sitting, glum, around the dining table. However, as soon as he saw her, Percy was on his feet. "Claire▬" he surged forward. Leo stepped away, watching the two of them embrace. Something ached in his chest. Leo Valdez saw the way Claire slumped and relaxed in her boyfriend's hold, without a single care that any of them saw ... without realising, his gaze wandered over to the quiet girl sitting awkwardly beside Frank. Savreen met Leo's stare, and she smiled▬though she didn't understand the look in his eye. Leo quickly realised that she never would.

     He was always going to be friend-zoned or 'ew'-zoned▬as is his usual luck. Except with her, it seemed to hurt way more than it has ever done before.

     Percy pulled away, checking Claire over▬he noticed her pale cheeks and frowned. "What happened?" he asked.

    "It was Tim," said Hazel, coming to stand▬stiff▬at Leo's side. Percy turned his frown onto her. They shared a quiet exchange. Hazel's gold gaze bore into his sea green, whatever passed between them, she won the discussion.

     Annabeth watched it with an intense frown▬trying to read them all. Leo wouldn't be surprised if she was also a mind reader, too. But she decided to stay silent, perhaps because she did figure it out ... and Leo realised that whatever it was, for her to not mention it, it was bad.

     They all did their best to change the subject. Leo recognised that need very well. So, he took a deep breath and announced, "Who wants some sodas?"

     He tried to ignore the annoyed glance Percy sent him. Mainly because Leo hated how much it upset him▬no, disappointed him. But Claire seemed to appreciate what he had done. She took a deep breath and said, "Do we still have any cookies left?"

     After a few bites of a (blue?) cookie and a drink of her soda, Claire started to look a lot better. Colour returned to her cheeks as they all sat down together at the dining table. Leo could tell she was still distant▬she wasn't herself. The lack of sarcastic comments, scowls and defensive nature that would melt as soon as she offered pieces of her food told Leo she was not okay. But he knew there was other things they needed to focus on, and Claire knew this, too. She waited patiently for conversation to start▬a game plan on where they were supposed to go now.

     But when silence followed, she was the first one to speak. She set her blue cookie down onto her plate and said, "So ... why have we landed here?"

     Percy glanced away from where he had been staring longingly at the sunset view of Half-Blood Hill, where the Golden Fleece flittered in the branches of the tall pine tree. Leo had enchanted the walls to show real-time footage of home, but he was soon realising that all it had been doing was making them homesick rather than happy.

    Frank shrugged from where he sat in between Hazel and Savreen. "Figure out the prophecy?" he suggested. "I mean ... that was a prophecy Ella spoke, right? From the Sibylline Books?"

    Leo frowned at him over Sav, "Uh▬the what?"

    Frank quickly explained how the harpy they had met▬he, Hazel and Percy's friend▬had an amazing photographic memory for books. At some point in the past, she had come across a collection of ancient prophecies that had supposedly been destroyed around the fall of Rome.

    "That's why you didn't tell the Romans," murmured Leo, beginning to understand. "You didn't want them to get a hold of her."

    Percy's gaze had drifted back to the image of Half-Blood Hill. "Ella's sensitive," he decided to say. "She was a captive when we found her. I just didn't want..." his hand clenched into a fist. "It doesn't matter now. I sent Tyson an Iris-message, told him to take Ella to Camp Half-Blood. They'll be safe there."

    Leo doubted that any of them would be safe, now that he may as well have caused a war with the Romans on top of all of the problems they had with Gaea and the giants, but he kept quiet.

    Annabeth laced her fingers together. "Let me think about the prophecy, okay? Right now, we have more immediate problems. We have to get this ship fixed. Leo, what do we need?"

    "Uh▬easiest thing is tar," Leo was glad for the change of subject yet again. "We can get that in the city, at a roofing-supply store or something like that. Also, Celestial bronze and lime. According to Festus, we can find both of those on an island in the lake, just west of here."

    "We'll have to hurry," warned Hazel. "If I know Octavian, he's searching for us with his auguries. The Romans will send a strike force after us. It's a matter of honour."

    Leo felt everyone's eyes on him. He sunk low, "Guys ... I▬I don't know what happened. Honestly, I▬"

    Annabeth held her hand up. "We've been talking. We agree it couldn't have been you, Leo." His eyes widened, surprised. "That cold feeling you mentioned ... I felt it, too. It must have been some sort of magic, either Octavian or Gaea or one of her minions. But until we understand what happened▬"

    Frank eyed Leo with an air of suspicion, "How can we be sure it won't happen again?"

    Leo's chest flushed with anger. His fingers heated up like they were about to catch fire. He had to check to make sure they didn't. He could control the fire that grew from his fingertips, but when his emotions got the best of him, he still sometimes couldn't stop it. Fire was unruly. When stoked too much, not even the largest wave of water could douse it.

     He went to defend himself, but Savreen got there before him. She met Frank's gaze and stated, sure: "Because he's a good person. And I trust him. You should, too." She said this as if it was the only reason needed. As if it was the only reason she needed. Leo felt that horrible pain again.

    "I'm fine now," he went on. Though he wished he could be so sure▬have the same trust in himself that Savreen did. He wondered how long it will take until she realised that he will just end up disappointing her. "But maybe we should use the buddy system. Nobody goes anywhere alone. We can leave Piper and Coach Hedge on board with Jason. Send one team in town to get tar. Another team can go after the bronze and the lime."

    "Split up?" Percy frowned. "That sounds like a really bad idea."

   "It'll be quicker," said Hazel. "Besides, there's a reason a quest is usually limited to three or four demigods, right?"

   Annabeth's brows shot up, impressed, "You're right. The same reason we needed the Argo II ... outside camp, ten demigods in one place will attract way too much monstrous attention. The ship is designed to conceal and protect us. We should be safe enough on board, but if we go on expeditions, we shouldn't travel in groups larger than four. No sense alerting more of Gaea's minions than we have to."

    Cain thought about what she said. "Okay," he spoke up, having been quiet this entire time. "How about this: Annabeth, Percy and I will go and get the tar. Frank▬you▬uh▬you wanna turn into a dragon again and fly us into town?"

    Frank look surprised at the question. He almost seemed to want to protest, but stopped himself. "I▬I suppose, but▬?"

    He didn't let him finish, counting out groups on his fingers. "Leo can go get the lime and Celestial bronze," continued Cain. "Take Savreen and uh▬Hazel, isn't it?" she nodded. "Yeah, take them with you. You know what you're looking for, they can help. Claire," he turned to the last of them who he hadn't listed, "you stay onboard with Jason. If you feel up to it, just ... you know ... Apollo him better."

     Percy and Claire shared a quick glance. They were both hesitant on having to be separated▬again. Leo seriously felt as if he was intruding on something, even though most of them were here in the room with them. They were working together in order to be a team, because they needed to, but those two, it was easy to see that they were their own little team, as well.

    After a short while, Claire nodded to Cain, "Okay. That sounds good."

   Leo didn't miss the gleam of pride that Annabeth held at Cain's decision making. He sighed to himself. He is surrounded by couples, or would-be couples▬and the girl he liked didn't even like him back. He felt as if he was suddenly tenth-wheeling a demigod couple vacation.

    He noticed Frank's scowl. Leo pursed his lips. Obviously, he didn't like the idea of Leo going off with Hazel. It annoyed him. But for some reason, Frank's jealousy and disapproval only made him want to go. He had to prove he was trustworthy. He had to prove he was capable of being here. He had to fix this.

    "Leo," said Annabeth, "if we get the supplies, how long to fix the ship?"

    "With luck, just a few hours."

    "Fine," she decided. "We'll meet you back here as soon as possible, but stay safe. We could use some good luck. That doesn't mean we'll get it."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    a/n: it's claire and percy's world, they're all just living in it.

    anyway, this isn't edited, but I'm in a huge percy and claire mood so.

    can you guys recognise the dynamics I'm setting up? can you? can you?

    if not, here's a few. or here's just Leo's:

    the literal platonic hero worship leo will have for percy, like- he wants to prove himself so bad to him. also, the way leo sorta represents the little brother claire could have had. she gets to be an older sister to him, and she already treats him as such without realising. the girl searches for family-figures in everyone, but she doesn't let herself recognise it because she's scared of them leaving her. like her mother. or being taken away from her like timmy, lee and micheal. or betraying her, like luke or jay. she has attachment and trust issues, but she longs to never be alone despite it.

    she naturally spends a lot of time with leo through savreen, so he bregrudingly becomes it at first - she doesn't realise. but then she realises that his childhood is so similar to her own in many ways, she just becomes a rly protective older sister figure in her own way. i won't spoil too much, but my girl claire finally gets a brother figure that doesn't betray her, is taken away from her, leaves her or takes her for granted. like cos she sees timmy in all of her siblings in the Apollo cabin. she's always searching to somehow get him back.

    also percy and claire are super clingy - but its sad, though. because their trauma just makes them desperate to always be around each other. like naturally they would be fond of pda. they would be fond of staying together. always touching and always showing their love because they know how easy they have nearly lost each other forever :(

    oh, and annabeth will literally protect cain from anybody. he looks like he could kill you, but is actually a cinnamon roll, and she is his body guard. girl literally fought through leagues of monsters to save cain's life in deep end. and she believes in him, and thinks him capable, and smart (which is a huge compliment and show of love from her). like she is his biggest supporter. his most determined protector. and just advocates for him so much in this book, you guys will love to see it, believe me. and cain just thinks he doesn't deserve her, like- *sobs*. but at the same time, he's so loyal to her like. he puts her first, which is something annabeth felt as if she was without. like she had a childhood crush on luke, but he betrayed d her. she fell in love with claire, but she and percy literally are soulmates. she is desperately trying to prove herself to Athena - to create something permanent to make herself permanent so people will see her. and cain makes her feel permanent <3 because she is permanent to him <3333

    also here to point out that savreen is definitely a person who only feels attraction to someone who she is very close to. like she only starts to feel romantic feelings after she has become super comfortable with them platonically. like girl has lost everyone she cares about. the only person she has had consistently (here and there) in her life is leo. but like he is her best friend first. platonic love comes first to sav before romantic love. she's not oblivious to any romantic feelings/attraction, she just doesn't feel any until ... well ... spoilers. but what I'm saying is basically savreen needs a really deep platonic connection with someone first before she grows an attraction. that's what matters to her the most. she's attracted to that, not a specific gender.

    back to percy and claire because percy and claire *cries*.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.9K 668 19
โ˜ž๏ธŽSษชx sสœแด€สŸสŸ ษขแด แดกแด‡sแด› แด›แด แด›สœแด‡ ษขแดแด…แด…แด‡ss ษชษด แด„สœแด€ษชษดs Oษดแด‡ sสœแด€สŸสŸ ส™แด‡ สŸแดsแด› ษชษด แด›สœแด‡ สŸแด€ษดแด… แดกษชแด›สœแดแดœแด› ส€แด€ษชษด Tสœแด‡ ส™แด€ษดแด‡ แดา“ OสŸสแดแด˜สs sสœแดแดกs แด›สœแด‡ แด›ส€แด€ษชสŸ Cแด€แดแด˜แด‡ส€s แด€ษดแด… Hแดœษดแด›แด‡ส€s แด„แดแดส™ษช...
1.7K 36 19
๐™ก๐™ž๐™ก๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™ ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™ง๐™  ๐™ฃ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง ๐™ž๐™ข๐™–๐™œ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š๐™™ ๐™๐™š๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™ก๐™› ๐™–๐™จ ๐™—๐™š๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™– ๐™™๐™š๐™ข๐™ž๐™œ๐™ค๐™™. ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ, ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ต...
39.3K 556 40
๐€๐ง๐ง๐š๐›๐ž๐ญ๐ก ๐‚๐ก๐š๐ฌ๐ž ๐ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฐ ๐ฎ๐ฉ ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐…๐ข๐ฏ๐ž, ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐จ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐š ๐ฌ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐ก๐š๐ญ๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐š๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ฒ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ฆ...