It's a Long Way To Dearest Gr...

By ALorenaE

Camila, Luz, Amity, Hunter, Gus, and Willow return to the Boiling Isles to find things are a bit messy. Raine... More

Chapter 1: The Boiling Isles
Chapter 2: Hexside School of Magic and Demonics
Chapter 3: C.A.T.s Headquarters
Chapter 4: The Owl House
Chapter 5: The First Night
Chapter 6: Breakfast with Eda
Chapter 7: Briefings
Chapter 8: Making Home
Chapter 9: Castle Heist
Chapter 11: Rest
Chapter 12: Gifts
Chapter 13: Looking for Answers
Chapter 14: Notes, Realizations, and Friendship
Chapter 15: Return to Hexside
Chapter 16: The Golden Guard
Chapter 17: More Than Just a Dress
Chapter 18: Weekend Fun
Chapter 19: Meet the Parents
Chapter 20: Things New
Chapter 21: Firsts
Chapter 22: Preparations and Conversations
Chapter 23: The Night Before Everything
Chapter 24: Sacrifice
Chapter 25: Belos
Chapter 26: Endings
Chapter 27: Closure
Chapter 28: Recovery
Chapter 29: Healing
Chapter 30: One Door Opens
Chapter 31: Home

Chapter 10: Friendship and Insecurity

126 1 11
By ALorenaE

Late at night, after all his friends are in bed, his belongings from the castle safely tucked away, Hunter stands in front of the mirror in the bathroom, staring at his reflection. He holds up his arms and looks at the scars across his skin, tracing his hand from his arm up his bare chest to his neck and face. He cringes as he meets his own eyes.

"This is me now. I have to get used to this. It's embarrassing and ugly, but...I can't change it. I have to learn to live with it, because I can't hide it from myself. And even if I could, I'll always know it's there."

In the bedroom, Willow wakes, chilly. She notices the blanket is turned down off her side and goes to tug it back over her when she realizes Hunter isn't beside her like he was when they fell asleep in the large nest of pillows and blankets the teens moved to the floor. She stands, stretches, and checks the bed, wondering if he felt too crowded and went to sleep there. When she doesn't see him, she finds a bathrobe and wraps it around her, a shield against the autumn chill, and goes to look for him. She sees the light on in the bathroom and turns back to the bedroom to give him his privacy.

Then she hears, "Damn you, Belos, you just had to make it clear you made me, didn't you...."

She stops and turns back, knocking lightly on the door, "Hunter? Are you OK?"

"Not really, but also kinda."

"Can I come in?"

There is a moment of silence before he answers, "I'm not wearing a shirt."

"Is that a problem?"

"I don't know."

"Would you be more comfortable if I waited to talk until you were?" she asks.

"I don't know."

Willow sighs, "Hunter...you sound upset. Can I help?"

She hears him moving around and then the sound stops, "Maybe. Come in."

She enters the bathroom and closes the door behind her. He is sitting on the closed toilet, his beloved wolf shirt folded in his hands, his head bowed.

"What's going on?"

"The scars are really bad," he says, "See?" He gestures to how they cross his chest and arms.

Willow stares for a second before nodding, "Yeah, they are."

"I'm having a hard time accepting this is how I look now. It's like he marked me as his and only his to do with whatever he wanted. Make me, brand me, force me to kill my best friend, try to kill me, make sure I can't forget. I don't want anything to do with Belos and yet...." He touches his cheek, "He's right here, on my face."

Willow leans on the edge of the sink, "I don't know what to tell you, Hunter. I was so scared we were going to lose you in the cemetery...that maybe he'd already killed you and you weren't even in there anymore. When you took back over and I heard your voice, I was so relieved, I felt like I was going to cry. I'm just so grateful I still have you that I don't see the scars as Belos still laying claim to you. I've been right beside you when I thought you were dying twice, so I just see one of my best friends who's one of the strongest people I've ever met."

"I didn't realize who was where after a certain point in the draining spell," he replies, "It was kinda hard to focus."

"I helped you up, remember? And kept you standing when the Collector ended the eclipse. You were leaning on me pretty heavy – I thought you were going to collapse."

"Right before it ended, I felt like I was going to. I don't really think I realized who I was leaning on until after the spell was over." He takes her hand, "One more way I probably owe you my life."

Willow blushes slightly, "Nah, I was just doing what was right."

He smiles, "Maybe. But I think it's pretty special I've got friends like you who try to keep me around."

"You're sweet," she says. "Can we go somewhere else to keep talking? The sink isn't very comfortable."

He puts his shirt on and stands up, "Sure. Let's go find a quiet spot."

"No one else is up," Willow says, "Let's go sit in the kitchen." They settle in at the table by the light of the moon and she offers him her hand. He accepts, resting his palm over hers, "You're going to be OK. Even if it takes a long time to get there, even if you need to live in the human realm for a while, you'll figure it out. And we'll all be right here to help."

He nods, staring at their hands, "I know. And thanks."

"Is something wrong?" she asks, starting to pull her hand away.

He lightly clasps it, hoping she won't withdraw, "No. Please...stay"

She smiles, "Happily."

"Does...does this mean something?" Hunter asks hesitantly, "I mean, something bigger. Or not. Or am I just too new to having friends to understand?"

Willow shrugs, "It means whatever we want it to. I like keeping my friends and family close. I like holding hands and sitting with shoulders touching and snuggling in blanket nests. Gus and I are both very physically affectionate people, so that's how friendship looks for us. Amity isn't in the same way. She likes hugs and the nest and closeness, but in smaller doses. You'll notice she always sleeps on the edge with Luz between her and Gus. We don't hold hands the same way we did as kids and she doesn't cuddle me like Gus does. And that's OK, too. She saves that kind of thing for Luz. It's not wrong, it's just different. If this makes you uncomfortable, or it seems like something you should save for just a certain sort of someone, I'll stop."

"I like it. I just...didn't know what it meant," Hunter replies. "If it means we're close, family, even, then...well, that's what I feel like it means."

"Then that's what it does mean for us," Willow says, "And if that ever changes...tell me. Friendships don't always stay the same. People don't stay the same. If there's a point where you need to not be touched, I'll understand."

"Thanks, Captain," he says.

She smiles, "I still think it's sweet you call me that."

"It reminds me that you took a chance on me when I felt like I wasn't good enough...and of the first time I made friends on my own. One of my happy memories."

"Awww, that's lovely," she says. He wonders if she's blushing again.

Hunter stares out the window for a few moments, thinking. His thoughts are busy and bounce from memories to thoughts about Caleb and Grimwalkers to his scars to Willow and the warmth of her hand resting under his.

"What's on your mind?" she asks.

"Kinda everything. I wonder how much of Caleb is in me. Darius told me about the Golden Guard before me. He said he would have liked me, and that there are ways we're alike. Is there any part of all of us that's like Caleb? What was he like? Did he see Philip's betrayal coming? Did he die for the witch he fell in love with? Is there anyone left in her family? Would they ever want to meet me, even though I'm just a copy?" He sighs, "And who am I, really? I'm the clone of a long-dead witch-hunter brought to life by rare spare parts and forbidden magic. Belos said I look the most like Caleb of all of them. I wonder sometimes if I'm even alive the same way you are." He laughs ruefully, "He even named me after his job...witch-hunter. I bet he ran out of names. And I'm just another disappointment to him...one in a long line of them."

Willow sighs, "That's a lot on your heart. Do you want me to share my thoughts on it, or did you just need to get it out in the open?"

"You can tell me."

"I think you have a good heart and you're going to have a lot of unanswered questions that might hurt it, both if you get them answered and if you don't. I think you're so much more than just a clone 'brought to life by rare spare parts.' You absolutely are alive like me – you eat, you breathe, you can die, you're dedicated to your family, and you care deeply. And even though he maybe took your name from what he did, I think it's pretty and I like it."

"Thanks, Willow," Hunter says quietly.

They sit in silence for a few moments before she speaks, "Are you going to be OK tonight?"

"Yeah, I will be. I mean, I've got my friends here, so I'm where I belong."

"Does that mean you'll feel OK about trying out Hexside, so long as we're there with you?"

He nods, then shakes his head, "Yes...and no. Yes, because yeah, you guys'll be there and I'll get to learn about magic in a way I never have before, even if I don't have magic of my own and I'm using glyphs like Luz. And no because of the scars. People are going to ask what happened and they're going to stare and I don't want that attention."

Willow lightly squeezes his hand, "You can talk to Gus about a concealment stone for while you're at school. Edric and Emira use them, maybe they could show you how they work."

"Why do they?"

"Teenage skin problems and their mom's vanity kinda forced them into it. They're still trying to figure out if they want to leave that behind, now that she's left them behind. It's complicated, and they're taking their time figuring it out together."

Hunter nods, "OK. I'll think about it. Thanks, Will." She giggles quietly, "Did I say something wrong? Is it OK if I call you Will?"

"Yeah. I think it's cute."

"Just like you" Hunter says, immediately turning crimson as he realizes what he's just said, "Oh my Titan, I didn't mean to say that out loud."

She beams, "Awww, there you go, being sweet again. If it helps," she says as she sees his embarrassment, "I think you're cute, too."

"Maybe before-" he starts to protest.

"Nope," she cuts him off, "you're not allowed to tell me I can't think you're cute just because of the scars. I still think you're cute."

He laughs and stands, dropping to one knee in front of her, "Thank you, m'lady, I'm flattered and in your debt."

"Arise, dear knight," Willow says a little dramatically, "And I will give you a hug. And there's no debt owed. Friendship isn't something you have to earn or pay back."

She stands as he does and gives him a long hug; he rests his head on her shoulder, "Thanks, Captain. Like I said...I'm still learning how friends work." They let the moment linger, holding each other for a few silent moments before he takes her hands and steps back, "I mean it when I say you saved my life. Your Penstagram messages after flier derby really helped me remember there was a world outside of Belos. Each of you have saved me in different ways and I'm so glad you all care so much about me."

She nods, "You're always welcome, Hunter. I just did what I'd want done for me. But right now...I'm getting really tired. Can we go find room in the blanket nest with the others?"

"Yeah, absolutely." They return to the bedroom. Willow curls up next to Gus and Hunter lays down beside her. She starts to doze off as soon as her head hits the pillows.

"Night night, Hunter. Dream of calmer days."

Hunter watches her fall asleep and rests his hand on her shoulder, "Goodnight, Willow. Again...thank you."

***

At headquarters, Darius is also up late, sitting alone at the large table, a photograph in his hands. A young man with light hair and a bright smile beams at the person behind the camera, the Golden Guard mask tucked under one arm as he waves with the other. Like Hunter, he has a slight gap between his front teeth.

He sighs and his old grief hits him hard in the chest. He bows his head, setting the photograph down in front of him, covering his face with one hand.

"Darius? Are you OK?" Raine asks. Wrapped in a fluffy bathrobe, they sit beside him, resting their hand on his arm. They see the photograph on the table, "Is that...?"

"Ember."

"The Golden Guard before Hunter."

Darius nods, "Yes. Hunter and I had a talk today. I know a lot more. I know Belos killed Ember because he said Ember betrayed him...Belos believes all the Golden Guards betrayed him."

Raine's heart sinks, "All of them?"

"Yes. And Hunter will be next to die if we don't stop Belos."

They sigh, "Well that makes this feel even heavier, doesn't it."

"No kid should have to feel like that," Darius replies. "Hunter explained what he means when he says Belos made them. Their backstories are all lies. Ember wasn't just born to the governing family of an outer village. Maybe he was placed there, I don't know. Part of it might be true. But he wasn't born to them."

"What are you talking about, Darius?" they ask.

"I don't know how much he'd want me to tell you," he says.

Raine's expression is incredibly serious when they say, "I won't tell a soul. I'll even act like I didn't know if he tells me. But you need to be able to share the heavy stuff with a friend, too. And I'm here for you."

Darius takes a deep breath, "How much do you know about Grimwalkers?"

Shock floods Raine's face, "Oh my Titan...."

"Belos made them all from the bones of the brother he murdered. That's why Hunter looks a little like Ember."

Raine reaches for the photograph, "May I?" Darius nods. Raine picks up the picture and brings it close so they can see it better, "I can see the resemblance."

"Hunter says Belos told him he looked most like Caleb – the brother. Ember looks like he could be Hunter's father."

They nod, "He does. Did you tell Hunter about him?"

"A little. He knows we were close. He knows I was told Ember died in an accident. And I told him a little about Ember's personality, his love of animals, that sort of thing."

Raine hands the photograph back to Darius and he tucks it in a pocket in his vest, close to his heart, "He was more than just your mentor, Darius. It's incredibly clear, the way you talk about him."

Darius rests his hand over the pocket, "Yeah, he was. And I never even got to say goodbye...no body, no way to put him to rest. He was just...gone. I still wonder where he's buried."

They shrug, "Maybe we can find that out some day. The next time Eda sees King, maybe she can have him ask the Collector or something."

"Maybe. Or maybe I need to just let that go and accept I'm never going to know."

Raine stands and pats Darius' shoulder, "Maybe that, too. But for right now...let's get you to bed. You're going to need your rest tomorrow. We've got to find some of the missing coven heads to make sure they're not causing too much trouble. We still haven't found Terra or Adrian."

He rolls his eyes, "Ugh...those two. At least the other ones, even the ones I don't like, are mostly staying out of trouble. Adrian – I don't trust him. I bet he's one of the ones spreading lies about it being wild witches that broke the Day of Unity." He stands and starts walking to the bunks with Raine.

"Funny thing about that...technically, it was. Eda, the kids...."

Darius laughs quietly, "Yeah, you're right. They didn't break the ascension into paradise, but they did ruin the Day of Unity by making sure we didn't all die horribly."

"Chalk one up for the wild witches," Raine says, "Because after a point, were all pretty useless."

He nods and pats their shoulder before heading to his bunk, "Thanks, Raine, and goodnight."

"You're always welcome, Darius."

"On, can you do something for me?"

"Oh?"

"Keep Ember's name a secret, at least for now. I know it won't be forever, but...I'm still protective of him, and that's the one way I still can be."

They nod, "Absolutely."

Darius climbs into his bunk and Raine heads for theirs, both of them huddling down for the night.

***

In the morning, Hunter gets ready for the day and seeks out Gus. He finds him outside, sitting on the bluff overlooking the town.

"Hey...can I ask you something?"

Gus pats the ground beside him, "Sure. What's up?"

Hunter sits down and then touches his cheek, "This. I don't want to be seen like this. Can you do something about it, like make me a concealment stone? I'm thinking I want to go to Hexside eventually, and I don't want to do it looking like this. I also don't want anyone else staring. I noticed your dad looking at me a lot that first trip to Latissa, and Willow's dads. Alador was better, but...I know he's got questions."

"They're not going to stop having questions if the scars disappear, though. They might just have more," Gus says.

"At least they won't stare," Hunter retorts, "I just don't want to be looked at like that."

Gus sighs, "I know – I mean, I don't know know, but you get what I'm saying, right?" Hunter nods, "OK. I'll either find you one or figure out how to make one on one condition."

"What?" Hunter asks, wary.

"Hey, don't be worried – it's not too huge. I just want you to try to promise me that when you're with your family, you won't use it all the time."

Hunter shifts, uneasy, "I don't know if I can do that, Gus. Not if we're away from here."

Gus nods, "Got it. So how about this – you stop using it in two places – here and in our closet at HQ." He sees Hunter about to protest and holds up his hand, "Wait a minute. When we're here, it's only when it's just the family. If the dads are here, anybody else, even if you're not entirely comfortable with Steve yet, or even Lilith, it's fine to use it. But when it's just us, Camila, Eda, and maybe Darius and Raine, you work on being OK without it."

Hunter stares out over the water, "Yeah. I'll try that. Safe people in safe places."

"Exactly."

Hunter smiles and offers his hand to Gus – they do their special handshake and Gus starts giggling, "Never thought you and me'd be this close, but here we are."

"I mean, until what, a year ago? -I never thought I'd have any friends at all. It's pretty amazing, when I stop to think about it."

Gus shrugs, "You just needed somebody to give you a chance, Hunter. Once you got to figure out yourself a little, you turned out to be a really good friend."

Hunter puts his arm around Gus' shoulder, "Thanks, Gus."

"Always welcome. It's nice to have a big brother."

Hunter can't stop grinning the rest of the day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

864 43 14
Cover by : (myself lol) Luz, Amity and Willow are cops. Hunter, Gus and Matt Tholomule are mobsters. Everyone is over 18. TWs and CWs explained in th...
26.4K 642 30
Hunter has given his whole life to the Emporers Coven, to Belos, to his Uncle. He always pushed through the pain and kept going no matter how hard it...
88 2 6
After moving out and leaving Gravesfield, The Noceda's need to adapt themself to their new home, but it's not going to be easy, after all it's not ev...
369 32 16
Just a random fem y/n X Hunter story Feel free to judge Y/N l/N is all alone the she stumbles across eda the owl lady and her apprentice luz the hum...