Origins of the QED Club

By AkoSiIbarra

QED CLUB: the go-to place of students and teachers in Clark High whenever they have mind-boggling mysteries t... More

Front Matter
Author's Notes
PART ONE: Clubroom Conundrum
Chapter 01: My Pesky Little Problem
Chapter 02: My New Roommate
Chapter 03: Her Troublesome Secret Admirer
Chapter 04: My Sincerest Apologies
Chapter 05: Owe Me A Favor, Will You?
Chapter 06: Don't You Dare Ghost Me
Chapter 07: Phew, Crisis Averted!
PART TWO: Primadonna of Theater
Chapter 08: First, My Curiosity. Now, My Attention
Chapter 09: The Rosy Thread
Chapter 10: At Long Last! Meet the Club!
Chapter 11: QED Club in Action!
Chapter 12: Goodbye, Theater! (For Now)
Chapter 13: Game of Kings! Jamie versus Loki
Chapter 14: Loki's Missing?!
Chapter 15: Found Yah!
PART THREE: Knight of the Club
Chapter 17: Friends Reunited
Chapter 18: February Soiree
Chapter 19: Over A Cup of Coffee
Chapter 20: The Transferee
Chapter 21: Join the Club
Chapter 22: QED Club to the Rescue
PART FOUR: Chronicler of the Club
Chapter 23: And Then There Were Four
Chapter 24: Two Truths, One Lie
Chapter 25: From Beyond The Grave
Chapter 26: Sob Stories
Chapter 27: Curtains Drawn
Chapter 28: First Mate
Postscript

Chapter 16: The Childhood Friend

3K 214 77
By AkoSiIbarra

A/N: I apologize if our best boy Alistair's turn has taken a while, but here it is! His part will feature some scenes that aren't mentioned in the main series. It's the chance to get to know him a little bit better!

ALISTAIR

WOULD FRIENDS grow apart because of the distance between them? Or would they drift away because it was their choice? Iyan ang tanong ko mula nang nalaman kong lilipat na sa ibang school ang aking kababata. Malungkot na balita iyon para sa akin, ngunit naintindihan ko kung bakit kailangan. If that was what she needed and if that was what her father thought was best for her, I would fully support the decision no matter how much it would affect me.

But if there was one thing that I could wish for, it's simple: I wanted us to stay in touch.

My dad and I were on the way to a restaurant for a lunch meeting with his friend. We were being driven by his driver in his black luxury sedan. Nagtaka ako kung bakit kinailangan niya akong isama. If it was a catching up meeting, then I had no business to be there. I had nothing to contribute in their discussion.

"Is your mind already made up about choosing HUMSS as your senior high strand?" my dad Alastor asked me. We settled down at the back seat. "Alam kong napag-usapan na natin 'to dati, pero may one week pa bago matapos ang enrollment. You can still change your mind, if you want. You can still choose ABM."

I shook my head. It was too late for that. "My mind's already made up, dad. I want to be a lawyer and I believe that HUMSS is the best strand to accomplish that."

"Well, you can be a corporate lawyer. You can help your sister Alison run our company once your mom and I retire. She even pursued her master's degree in Business Administration abroad just to prepare herself."

"Sorry, dad, but I really want to be a criminal lawyer or a human rights lawyer. I've already explained to you why. I hope you understand."

"Because you want to protect the rights of the poor, the vulnerable, and the marginalized? That's very kind of you, Al. But that line of work won't make you money."

"I'm not after the money," I corrected him with a smile. "I will still probably earn from that job, but not much."

What my dad and the others (who might be disappointed with my choice) sometimes failed to understand was it's not just about the money. They could call me idealistic or living in my own reality, but I wanted to make an impact in this country, in this world, in my own way. Maraming paraan upang ma-achieve ko 'yon, ngunit para sa akin, ang pinaka-match sa passion, skills at resources ko ay ang pagiging abogado.

"If you're already decided, I won't try to convince you anymore," my dad finally gave up, throwing his hands up in the air. "I will still be here to support you."

"Thank you for understanding, dad," I replied as I glanced sideways at him. Then I looked out of the car window. "By the way, you haven't told me who we're meeting with."

"We'll be having lunch with Walt," he answered. "This was supposed to happen a few weeks ago, but he got so busy with his work . . . and what happened to her daughter. How was she, by the way?"

"The last time we communicated, she told me that she's been undergoing therapy session every week because of her trauma. I asked her how she's doing, but she's not replying to my messages lately," I answered. My eyes then squinted. "Kung ka-lunch n'yo si Tito Walter, kasama din ba niya si Lori?"

My dad's head shook slowly. "Walt doesn't think Lorelei's ready for whatever we're about to discuss. It's best if she would focus on her recovery and stay away from any additional pressure."

"Then why did I have to come with you? There's no reason why I should be in your lunch meeting. If it's about the incident, I've already told the authorities and Tito Walter must have access to them."

He looked at me over his shoulder. May kakaiba sa titig niya sa akin. "It's something that involves you directly so you need to be there. If that thing didn't happen to Lorelei and she's perfectly okay right now, she'd be in the meeting as well."

"Can't you tell me exactly what it is, Pa?"

He let out a sigh. "It's probably best if both parties are present. I don't want to surprise you, Al, but perhaps Walt can explain it better than me."

I sank back in my seat and stared at the window, watching the buildings blur past our car. Mukhang hindi catching up ang purpose ng lunch meeting na dadaluhan namin. It must be something very important that would greatly affect me and Lorelei. P-in-oint out ni Dad na dapat ay kasama rin ang kababata ko kung maayos ang kondisyon niya. Kung anuman ang pag-uusapan doon, malamang ay makaapekto 'yon sa current mental state ni Lorelei. What could it be?

Was it about the case? Pareho kaming involved ni Lorelei doon. But no, that was being resolved already. Actions were being taken, thanks to her father. There was nothing I could say or do that would help the investigation at this point.

Kung hindi iyon, ano pa ang posibleng pakay ng meeting na ito? Ano pa ang posibleng pag-usapan namin? Ang alam ko, basta may kinalaman ito sa akin at kay Lorelei . . .

No, it couldn't be. My eyes went wide as the car stopped at the intersection. Doon ko napagtanto ang isang bagay na pwede naming pag-usapan kung saan damay kami ng kababata ko. Ayaw kong i-entertain ang ideya, ngunit posibleng doon iikot ang discussion. There could be no other reason why.

If my hunch was right, Tito Walter made a good decision to not let Lorelei join us. Baka dumagdag pa iyon sa mga iisipin niya at lumala ang state ng mental health niya. She needed to free herself from all possible stressors.

I was hoping to be wrong. But the hints that my dad gave me pointed in the same direction.

The car pulled over in front of the restaurant. Both my dad and I got off at the same time. Sinalubong kami ng isa sa mga staff at tinanong kung may reservation kami. My dad just mentioned the name "Walter Rios" and we were ushered inside the resto.

A classical music welcomed my ears. The staff escorted us to the table where a gray-haired middle-aged man in formal attire was already seated. He stood as he saw us approaching him and offered his right hand to my dad.

"Walt!" My dad shook hands with him and greeted with a smile. "It's been a short while! I thought sa birthday mo na tayo magmi-meet ulit."

"That's still months away, but I'm hoping we can make an important announcement on that day," Tito Walter replied. Their hands let go of each other. "You'd be there, wouldn't you?"

My dad frowned. "Unfortunately, I have a business trip around that week. But I will be sure to send you my happy birthday greeting . . . and my congratulations."

That last word made me swallow the lump in my throat. Mukhang tama ang hinala ko.

"Tito, kumusta po kayo?" I took Tito Walter's hand gently and raised it to touch my forehead. His body looked weak and fragile. He must be too focused on his work that he was neglecting his health.

"Bless you, Al. It's always good to see you," he told me. "I can't thank you enough for assisting in my daughter's case. Because of you, those students will soon realize that it's not a good idea to mess with the Rios family. Let's take a seat first."

He gestured to the chairs across his. Sabay-sabay kaming umupo. He called for a waiter who got our order.

"Kumusta na po si Lori?" tanong ko. "Hindi na po kasi siya nagre-reply lately sa messages ko. I'm worried about her."

"I'd like to believe that she's been getting better since the incident." Tito Walter put his hands on top of each other. "She's actually on her way to Pampanga where she will stay there for a year or so."

My eyes blinked at him. Alam kong magta-transfer ng school si Lorelei, ngunit hindi ko inasahang sa Pampanga pala ang paglilipatan sa kanya. I thought that she would be transferring to a high school around the metro.

"Ang layo yata ng Pampanga?" tanong ni dad. That was the same question I had. "Are you sure that she'd be safe there? She's far from home, far from your protection."

"My late wife has a sister who owns an apartment there," Tito Walter said in a matter-of-fact tone. "Last week, I called Martha and made some arrangements. She agreed to look after my daughter during her stay there. She won't be alone."

"Sorry, Tito, but shouldn't you be by her side?" I asked. My dad nudged me on the arm. Ayaw kong manghimasok sa relationship niya kay Lorelei, ngunit hindi ko naiwasang ibato ang tanong na iyon. "She needs you now more than ever."

"Her therapist told me that she needs a change of environment so that she won't be reminded of her traumatic experience because of the vicinity. I only have her best interest at heart by sending her to Pampanga. And I believe she would rather not have me by her side, given our complicated relationship."

I wanted to say more. Gusto kong sabihin sa kanya na heto na ang chance niyang makabawi sa anak niya. Heto na ang opportunity na ayusin ang bridge nilang dalawa. But dad was looking sideways at me, telling me quietly to drop the subject. I also feared that I might be out of line if I pushed any further.

"Besides, I cannot afford to leave my business here. I need to stay where I am to manage everything. Don't worry about my daughter. She will be well taken care of by her aunt. Plus, she's a strong girl."

Lorelei had confided in me how complex her relationship with her dad was. Malamig at distant daw ang trato ni Tito sa kanya. Lagi raw inuuna ang business—ang consulting firm na isang Rios family legacy—kaysa sa kanya. Bilang din daw sa mga daliri ang bonding nilang mag-ama sa nakalipas na sampung taon.

In response to that kind of treatment, she reciprocated the same energy to her dad. She also became cold and distant toward him. They lived in the same house, but they could not call themselves a home or a family.

Hearing those words come out of Tito Walter's mouth made me realize what Lorelei had told me before.

After twenty minutes, the waiter served our steak and wine. My dad and Tito Walter engaged in some talks about their businesses, to which I knew little to nothing about. Hinintay kong buksan na nila ang topic na nag-i-involve sa akin at kay Lorelei, ngunit mukhang naghahanap pa sila ng tamang tiyempo. I wanted to know if I was right or wrong about my hunch.

And that opportunity came right after we finished our meal and were served some desserts.

"My Al is curious why he's here," my dad started. "I was tempted to tell him, but I decided that it would be better if you're the one to talk about it."

"Let me do the honor then." Tito Walter wiped his lips with the napkin. "Al, you know that our two families have been friends for more than a decade. We have broken bread in each other's homes. We have been supportive of families' endeavors. We have watched each other's backs."

He was beating around the bush, but I could tell where the conversation was going. I might be right after all.

"You have known my daughter longer than anyone else around your age," he continued. "What do you think of her?"

My eyes narrowed slowly at him, then at my dad who was also staring at me and waiting for my answer. "Lori is nice and kind. She's also strong-willed. She can be stubborn sometimes, but in a good way. And as you might have noticed, she's a fighter."

I did not describe her that way just because her dad was the one who had asked me. Gano'n talaga ang pagkakakilala ko kay Lorelei mula noon hanggang ngayon. She had not changed that much except for her stubborness—but only when it came to her distant dad and the stuff that she set her eyes on doing.

"Why did you ask, Tito?" I pretended to be clueless.

He leaned forward, his sunken eyes looked down. "Alastor and I are thinking of making the alliance of our two families much stronger and better. For that reason, I would like to know if you're open to considering my daughter as your potential partner."

I knew it. No hint of surprise or shock flashed across my face. Tinitigan ko si Tito hanggang sa umangat ang tingin niya sa akin. We looked at each other in the eye. He was serious about this proposal. Naikuwento na dati sa akin ni Lorelei na kapag nakapagdesisyon na ang papa niya, hindi na magbabago ang isip nito. Maybe I was about to witness that in person.

"I know that you and my daughter are still young to think about marriage. You're still high school students after all," he went on when I did not respond. My silence must have made him uncomfortable. "But as early as now, I want to make sure that she will be in good hands and she will have a good life. I personally cannot think of a better candidate than you."

I turned to my left. "Does mom know about this?"

My dad gave me a firm nod. "She's reluctant about the idea. Ayaw niya kasing diktahan namin ang choice mo. Gusto niyang ikaw ang gumawa sa mga gano'ng klase ng desisyon. But we both agree that you and Lorelei are a perfect match. You've known each other for a long time. Our families are close. What can go wrong? If you're good with it, then she'd be okay with it as well."

"So what do you think, Al?" Tito asked me again. "Are you open to the idea?"

"An arranged marriage, huh?" My head tilted down as my eyes lowered their gaze at the table. "I don't quite get it."

"Which part? The marriage or—"

"Why are we talking about this right now?" My voice remained calm as I raised that question. Nagtagpo na naman ang tingin namin ni Tito Walter. "Pasensya na, pero hindi ba dapat i-prioritize muna natin ang kondisyon ni Lori? She's been through trauma and she's being haunted by that incident. Baka pwede muna nating i-postpone ang discussion na 'to hanggang sa maging okay na siya para alam natin kung payag ba siya rito o hindi?"

"My daughter will do whatever I ask of her. She will trust my judgment because she knows that I know better." His voice was full of conviction. "Once you give your assent, it will be a done deal already."

"We're actually planning to make the announcement of your engagement on Walt's birthday," my dad added. "And that's just a few months from now."

"But why does it sound like you're all in a hurry?" I asked. "Bakit kailangang i-announce agad? Hindi ba pwedeng busisiin muna natin ang magiging detalye ng proposal na 'to? Shouldn't you get our insights first?"

"Al," Tito Walter called my name coldly, "do you know how my father and his father before him managed to build and maintain the Rios family legacy? By thinking ten steps ahead. If I want my daughter to have a better future by the time she's ready to be married, I must build it now. This arrangement will ensure that she'd be well secured . . . no matter what happens to me."

My eyes narrowed further. Parang may gusto siyang ipahiwatig. His voice sounded ominous especially on the last part.

"Walt wants to arrange this as soon as possible because he suspects that there's a threat to his life," my dad explained. "Bilang isang parent gaya niya, naiintindihan ko kung bakit parang minamadali niya 'to. The process will appear to move quickly because you two already know each other and each family's background. What's left to think about is some considerations and your approval."

"Given the nature of my business, I eat death threats for breakfast. I might have pissed off a CEO or a politician," Tito Walter shared. "Almost every one of them is an idle threat. But there's this one that seems real. Someone's sending me strange packages. My head of security tried to trace the source, but to no avail. I have already beefed up my security detail. While I'm still able, I want to finalize this arrangement between you and my daughter. Tell me, am I being unreasonable?"

If he believed the threat was genuine, then I could not blame him for thinking about Lorelei's future. But it did not sit well with me that he was trying to make this choice for her while she was still traumatized. Mali ang timing. She must be present here. She must have a say on this matter.

"Al?" my dad called.

"Sorry, dad and tito, but I need some air. This is too much to process," I told them before rising to my chair and walking out of the restaurant. Pagbukas ng pinto, saktong bumungad sa akin ang malakas na bugso ng hangin. Parang nakahinga ako nang maluwag. The discussion inside was starting to suffocate me.

I took my phone out and stared at the screen for a few seconds. Tiningnan ko ang conversation thread namin ni Lorelei. I sent two messages yesterday and the day before. They were delivered, but not seen.

Should I tell her about our parents' plan for our future? Dapat ba niyang malaman na pinangungunahan siya ng papa niya sa pamimili ng future partner niya? She deserved to know it because she was directly involved and would be affected by such decision.

But now was not the right timing. Ayaw ko nang dagdagan pa ang iniisip niya. Ayaw ko nang dagdagan pa ang stressors niya. Her trauma was too much for her to begin with. No matter how strong she showed herself to be, she could collapse at any time, depending on the amount of pressure put on her.

Instead of telling the truth, I chose to ask how she was doing.

Hi, Lori! How are you? Heard from
your dad that you went to Pampanga
today. Just want to know if you
got there safely. I hope we can
talk soon. Take care always!

My message got delivered, but remained unseen. That was okay, though. Baka hindi pa siya ready na makipag-communicate ulit sa akin. Maybe she needed some space. After everything that had happened, she deserved it.

—to be continued—

If you've enjoyed this update and you have some thoughts to share, let me know by posting or tweeting with the hashtag #QEDOrigins!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8M 76K 16
Slaughter High is now available on bookstores for just 58 pesos! Grab a copy and don't miss out on Parker and the gang's deadly journey! <3
175K 3.8K 13
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Deleted ang ibang chapter. Pasensiya na. Required pong burahin ang ibang chapter sa story kapag to be published by the publishing comp...
360K 29.9K 16
Over a decade has passed since the resolution of the M case. What happens to the members of the QED Club after? Is their bond as strong as when they...
MORIARTEA By akosiibarra

Mystery / Thriller

4.2M 135K 16
Meet the detectives of the Moriartea Cafe. Cover artwork by @CryAllen