Sword of Destiny [The Legend...

By victoria_giefing

This is the story of a princess, a chosen one, and a calamity. It begins with a ballad, and ends with a falle... More

one
two
three
five
six
seven

four

23 2 1
By victoria_giefing

When Link turned fifteen, he enlisted in Hyrule's army.

Leaving home felt more permanent than ever. His mother's usual tears seemed more like waterfalls, and his sister refused to let him leave. When he and Epona finally left his childhood home in Hateno, Link's jaw was nailed shut and gaze steady forward. He couldn't bear leaving them, but he would do anything if it meant he could protect them from Calamity Ganon.

He didn't know it at the time, but he wouldn't see them again for two years.

This trip he was to make alone. If he was old enough to enlist, his father said, he would be fine traveling by himself. Especially with his skills--the Captain of the Guard was not worried about his son. Besides, he would be riding straight from Hateno to Castle Town, stopping only to spend the night at stables.

The journey was long, but it gave Link time to breath. The wilderness when you were truly alone was like a different world. He could hear all sorts of sounds he couldn't when he was with his father.

Though his father had forbidden him from riding after nightfall, Link hovered outside the stables with Epona when the sun disappeared. His body was sore from riding all day and his eyes were drooping, but the stars were too beautiful to miss.

On the way to the castle, Link encountered only a few bokoblins, one moblin, a sleeping Hinox, and a million chuchus. It wasn't much for the length of his trip, but it was more than it would have been a couple years prior. As the days went on, the monsters appeared closer and closer to Hylian settlements. Link heard at the stables that it was getting worse for the other races, as well.

A Rito stopping at one of the stables was mentioning an increase of ice taluses in the area near Rito village. Link listened in but didn't join their conversation.

Link made it to Castle Town safely. His father's last letter told him to approach the barracks and ask for him. He did just that, but when he asked for the Captain of the Guard, the soldier scowled at him. "And who's asking?"

Link frowned. His hair was long enough now he had to brush it out of his face to see people clearly. He thought about tying it up. "His son."

The man cleared his throat, nodded, and rushed off.

Link shook his head to himself and waited.

The barracks were to the castle's right, just outside the enormous structure. Soldiers and guards went in and out with permission from the gatekeeper. Just across the tall stone wall surrounding the buildings, Link could hear shouts and clangs as the army trained. His heart started beating faster. He wanted to be in there, training with everybody else.

Ever since he could defeat monsters by himself, he'd wanted to become a guard like his father. He'd been waiting for his fifteenth birthday eagerly. His mother knew the day was coming, and his father told him he would be proud no matter what Link decided to do.

Despite wanting to be like his father, Link knew head to train to become stronger. It didn't matter how much natural skill he had--his father said he could hurt himself and others if he wasn't trained properly.

When Link argued that he got his training from the Captain of the Guard, his father shook his head and said it wasn't the same as training with the army.

So Link would do it.

The Master Sword, sheathed in a plain cover and much closer to fitting to his size than two years ago, lay strapped at his side, unnoticed.

When Link had gone to sleep that night in Zora's Domain, the story about the boy with the sword who seals the darkness spread across Hyrule like wildfire. Link continued to hear nothing from the King, though he supposed the King had no intention of hiding Link considering Link had been the warning they needed for Ganon's awakening.

"Link!" His father called from inside the gates. Link perked up.

His father exhaled calmly when he saw him. "My boy," he said. "Come in."

When enlisting, you were meant to fill out an application at the front and see whether or not you were approved, but Link's father had expedited the process. He led Link through the barracks and to his bunk, where he would be staying for at least a couple of months.

Some soldiers were positioned outside of the castle. Link wouldn't mind being stationed in the Akkala Citadel--it was a beautiful structure, and when Link's father had taken him to see the Akkala Highlands, he had immediately deemed it as his new favorite place. The colors in the wilderness were stunning.

Some of the other enlisters were entering the large room. It was the first day; today they would be getting settled in and joining a gathering to meet the Captain of the Guard.

Link's father was called away to his work, leaving Link alone to put his things away. After his journey he was ready for a nap.

He was mid-yawn when a boy his age approached him. He had dark curly hair cut close to his head.

"Hey, my name's Taro. Look's like we're going to be bunk buddies." He thrust his hand out at Link.

Link took it and nodded. "Link."

Taro threw his bag up to the top bunk. "Where're you from? So far almost everybody I've met is from Castle Town."

"Hateno."

"Oh, really? My uncle lives there, you might know him." Taro grinned, exposing slightly crooked teeth that didn't look bad, but in fact charming.

Link shrugged. "I don't go into town much."

The large wooden doors leading to the older parts of the castle and the Guard"s Chambers opened slowly, dragging across the stone floor. A squad of seasoned guards marched through, led by the Captain of the Guard.

The orientation was to be held inside the training grounds. Boys Link's age and older followed the squad outside into the evening sun. Link ended up somewhere in the front of the crowd.

Boys shoved and hissed at each other to be quiet as the Captain of the Guard climbed up to a raised platform.

Link had heard his dad say the same things his entire life. He went on about honor and respect, and loyalty to the kingdom. He said if anyone wasn't sure they wanted to be there, to leave now, because they wouldn't last a minute.

Link had been ready for this his entire life, and in the last two years, he'd been more prepared for it than ever. The few things his father had taught him while he was home, Link practiced relentlessly. One day, it could be the slip of his sword that left him at Ganon's mercy. He couldn't allow it.

He gripped the sheath at his side as his father droned on.

"You are here to serve the kingdom, and more than anything, protect the royal family. By being here today you are agreeing to lay down your life for the King and Princess of Hyrule."

Murmurs spread through the crowd. People rarely saw either the King or his daughter. Princess Zelda was mostly a mystery to Hyrule. Everyone knew she had the typical long blonde hair of a descendant of Hylia and that her blood possessed the power to seal Calamity Ganon away, but she was never spotted in public. People seldom saw her around the castle, either. Rumor was that she was constantly training to awaken her power ever since someone pulled the sword from the stone.

Even for this, a pang went through Link. Was the princess miserable because of him, as well?

His father's words lost their sound as Link looked at the sun. It was bright, and harsh. It beat down on Link's skin, burning him slowly. It shone on him as if to say this, this is your fault.

Link looked at his feet as the Captain of the Guard finished his speech and the crowd cheered.

He followed the flow of Hylians back into the barracks, where left on each bedroll was a wooden training sword.

Link took his and turned it over in his hands. It was his size, sturdy. It would be good to practice with.

Starting from the beginning was going to be difficult, but Link wouldn't pretend he didn't have any skill with the sword. It was pointless, especially if he wanted to advance. No doubt in due time people would figure him out, anyway. He couldn't hide the Master Sword forever, and there was no chance he would leave it anywhere he didn't have access to at all times.

Taro took notice of it when they returned to their bunk. "You already know how to use a sword, huh?"

Link nodded. "My father taught me."

"He a soldier, too?"

"He's--"

As if he had been summoned, Link's father headed towards them from outside. Heads followed him as if they were pulled on strings. He opened his mouth to say something to Link, but Taro put his hand to his forehead so fast he could have knocked himself backwards and shouted, "Captain!"

Link's father raised a brow and dismissed him, turning to his son. "Link. Are you settling in well?"

"Yes, father."

Taro looked at Link with a gaping mouth. Link ignored him.

"Good. Then I will see you outside before dawn." the Captain said.

Link nodded. His father gave his shoulder a firm pat, and headed off into the Guard's Chambers.

Deep in the chambers lie the Captain of the Guard's room, and then the Royal Guard's Chambers. The Royal Guards answered to his father as well, but they were a separate squad from the rest of the soldiers. They were assigned to the King and the Princess. His father had used to be the King's personal guard, before he was promoted.

Link wanted to protect the king someday. He wanted to reassure him that even though they both knew Link wasn't the right person for the job, Link would do it successfully.

Because he had to do it. No one else would.

Link paused. Could he put the sword back in the stone? Maybe the right person would come along and pull it out.

No. Too much had been put in motion for Link to run away and hide.

That night, Taro talked Link's ear off about his father. He listed off all his accomplishments and feats and called him a hero.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out the Master Sword," Taro whispered.

Link tensed. Taro would be incredibly disappointed when he realized it wasn't the Captain of the Guard that could pull out the Master Sword but his no-name son. The sword itself lay with Link under the blankets, cold against his side.

A boy a couple bunks down sat up and hissed, "Will you be quiet?"

Taro ignored him. "So Link, you must be pretty skilled if he's your father."

Link lay in bed, staring at the underside of Taro's bunk. Link's dark blonde hair fanned around his face, long enough now that it was below his chin. His hands lay crossed above his chest, and he inhaled deeply through his nose. "I know a bit."

"A bit? You'll have to help me train. I want to be a royal guard someday."

They were in the same boat. "Alright."

He could hear Taro's smile in his voice. "Good night, Link."

Link woke up early the next morning by default. His father had trained him to wake before the sun so he could practice with the sword before the daylight became too harsh.

Link crept out of his bunk and dressed as quietly as he could manage. Before he escaped the barracks, he strapped the Master Sword to his side.

Link's father was already outside. He stood fully dressed in armor and weaponry. He said nothing but gestured with his head for Link to follow. He led them to the training grounds. It was empty, the moon still high but the sun creeping around the corner. Link's father pulled his sword and held it out.

Link hesitated. Normally his father used a wooden weapon with him.

"You're a soldier now, Link. I've trained you enough that you have managed with a real blade--" he pointed his weapon at Link's, referring to the Lynel-- "just fine. You're old enough to spar with me now."

Link unstrapped the Master Sword from his side and grabbed a weapon better balanced for him from the shelf. He set the Master Sword down where he could see it.

He stood opposite his father. They stared at each other.

Link knew exactly what his father was thinking: he who makes the first move loses.

Neither of them shifted, until--exactly at the same time, Link and his father launched themselves at each other.

Link had fought grown men and won over and over again, but his father had always faced him with a wooden weapon and never used his full strength, outwitting him instead of using offense. It was frustrating, but Link would rather have a challenge than win with no effort. If his father let him win he wouldn't respect him as much as he did.

Link believed the same thing Taro did: his father was a hero. Through the Sheikah split and the shenanigans of the Yiga, Link's father had protected the King and the kingdom while also leading successful military pursuits. Link couldn't be more proud.

It was the only reason Link didn't resent him for being away from home so much. Sometimes he felt the King knew his father better than he did.

Their blades clashed with a clang, echoing across the field. Link, much shorter than his father, grunted and threw his father away from him with all the strength he had. He couldn't allow his father's height to have an advantage over him.

His father's mouth twitched, betraying his amusement. Link scowled.

They sparred until the sun rose, neither of them defeating the other. His father called it when the light peered over the walls of the training camp and soldiers began milling about. They stood, panting. The Captain of the Guard put away his sword and nodded at his son in contentment. Link's heart lifted at making his father proud.

His father jerked his head at the Master Sword. "I'm eager to see what you're able to do with that. I saw your skills prematurely and even then, I was impressed, Link."

Link clenched his jaw and nodded.

His father watched him for a moment, before the corner of his mouth lifted, just a bit. "Get into the barracks, son. The first day of training is always the best one."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 473 24
A young girl born as a bastard, Forsaken as the town's pariah, A lending hand that comes unexpected, The door to a new life opening, Visions calling...
10K 237 40
A MiphLink-centric retelling of the story of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild set during the events of the Great Calamity and alternate events...
22.8K 758 53
It has been 100 years since the Great Calamity struck the land of Hyrule. After a century of slumber, a young Hylian awakens to find the world in sha...
55.4K 659 46
《COMPLETE》 - Note: this series is under ongoing editing - Before the Calamity, there were no troubles to face, no hardships, and no sacrifices that...