Soul Bound

By H_Hobbs

Book 1 || Soul Bound series || WILL BE DELETED IN JULY. CHECK OUT THE NEW VERSION ON MY PAGE! When Eva Greene... More

Before you read!
Map
Author's notes
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 23

612 43 7
By H_Hobbs

The blistering sun woke us up in the morning. Since we had to wait for my informant to come back with a reply before continuing on with our mission, I showed Annalyse around the underground city. She was impressed we'd found it with my magic, even with her senses she couldn't pick it up from the sky when she was looking for us. She had been tracking Arkon's aura up until we found the cave, then we had disappeared from her sight. Before panic set in, they found the entrance we had made and guessed we had followed the river. Aster refused to go near the water, understandably for a fire dragon to dislike water, so they circled the desert until we resurfaced. The heat didn't bother them nearly as much as it affected me and Arkon, and, in fact, Aster revealed in it. She soaked up the sun's rays like a leaf.

We were left alone to walk through the settlement. Guess now that there were two Dragon Knights, the ciminals felt less inclined to put up a fight. I was only slightly disappointed, secretly hoping for the chance to show off my skills to Annalyse. Up until yesterday, she had been the only person I had fought since joining the Knights, and she had frequently kicked my butt. I wanted to show her what her training looked like on someone who wasn't born holding a sword.

We went to the very end of the main street to the shore of the underground lake. She took a moment to absorb the size and beauty of this gem below the sand. "This is incredible. You say it goes far into the west?"

I nodded. "Arkon says it spans almost the southern half of the continent."

Her eyes went wide in shock then a thoughtful look fell over her features. "I wonder how it got here."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, this water didn't come from the ocean, it's fresh. There are no rivers leading here from the mountains and it rains maybe once a year. So, where did all of this water come from?"

That was a good question. I hadn't even stopped to consider it.

She tapped her temple, giving me a knowing look. "As Dragon Knights, we have to think about these things, learn about our surroundings. Knowing the land you walk in could be the difference between life and death."

I gave it some thought. I guess if I hadn't checked for underground lakes, Arkon and I might have died of thirst; if I had known about the lake, it wouldn't have been an issue to begin with. The same could be said about the valleys in Aboria. Only the people of Brar knew about the caves nearby the village; we hid in them and our enemies never found us. During my hunting trips, I often took advantage of the terrain to get the upper hand on my prey. I suppose, that wasn't all too different.

I tucked this lesson away in my mind for safe keeping.

Anna bent and picked up a stone, inspecting it closely. Seemingly satisfied with it, she changed her grip on it--then flung it at the lake. It spun and skated across the water's surface seven times before it sunk.

She winked at my blatant gaping. "It's all in the wrist."

I shut my mouth then crossed my arms. "I know how to skip stones. Jacob taught me how to do it."

"Then show me what you got."

The only problem with that? I had never quite mastered the technique. I'd be lucky if the stone skipped twice.

Before I could humiliate myself, however, we were interrupted by my informant.

"Dragon Knight," he called from behind. He looked different from last night, wearing a thin shirt instead of a cloak to mask his face, but he was my informant. I recognised his dark, beady eyes. "You are supposed to be alone."

He gave Annalyse an unwelcoming look.

I stood in front of her, holding my hands up. "Please, she can be trusted. What did Sasha say?"

He shook his head, taking a wary step back. "You broke the terms. Our deal is off."

His words were like a slap to the face. Shock hit me first then the anger came rolling in. I came all this way--left my brother, my home--to ask for her help. I was not taking no for an answer.

I clenched my fists and walked up to him. "We didn't discuss any terms! Take me to Sasha!"

Something dangerous flashed in his eyes. Before I could move, he brandished a sword and swiped at me. Anna was fast and yanked me back in time. Using the momentum of his movements, he turned and ran for the exit. Anna threw me a disappointed glower then gave chase. I followed.

We chased him outside. He only got a few feet before Aster dropped in front of him and roared in his face. Yelping, the man staggered to the side, narrowly ducking Anna's grasp. Catching his footing, he continued to run--until Arkon blocked his path. He was cornered.

A shadow passed over us--then suddenly a bolt of lightning shot down between us. A person appeared before us and moved so quickly I could barely follow her movements. One second we were standing, ready to fight, and then in the next, Anna was on her back and I had a sword aimed for my throat.

Another bolt of lightning came down, aiming for Aster. Arkon leapt to shove her out of the way and took the brunt of the hit; his whole body glowed a faint blue as the lightning encased his scales and wrapped around his wings. He pumped his wings once, brushing off the lightning clinging to his body. The air crackled all around us. Then it was all gone and he remained unharmed.

He raised his head and growled at the dragon circling above, baring his massive teeth. "Syran! Let us not fight, brother! We mean you no harm."

The woman aiming her sword at me snorted. She was an exotic-looking woman, with pitch black hair, dark skin, and burning brown eyes.  She wore a tattered thigh-high skirt with a snakeskin crop top that reminded me of a tribe of warrior people I'd read about who lived amongst this world before it was broken apart by magic. "No harm? Yeah. That's why you were chasing my subordinate. To make friends." She spat the word, and with the way she looked at me, she might as well have spat on my face. 

Syran landed roughly behind me; the sand fanned out from beneath him in a dusty cloud that grated into my skin. I coughed and tossed a glare back at the dragon, knowing full well he could have landed in a way that wouldn't have made so much dust.

Anna slowly, warily, got to her feet, hands held out in front of her to show the woman she wasn't making a move. "There's been a misunderstanding here. Arkon's right. We don't mean any harm." She tossed me a look to start fixing the mess I made.

I didn't see why it was my fault we were being attacked; it was the informant's fault for running away. This all could have been avoided if he just cooperated. "He said he wouldn't take me to you," I continued on her behalf, thrusting a finger at the accused. "Please. If you're who I think you are, I need your help."

She narrowed her sharp gaze on me, assessing. Her eyes flickered to Syran behind me, communicating telepathically to him. If I had any doubt about who this woman was before, it was gone now. Unless someone else was Bound to a storm dragon.

Running her tongue over the top row of her teeth, she reluctantly glanced over to Arkon then to me and lowered her sword. She let out chunk of air and barely offered her subordinate a peek out of the corner of her eye. "I said I'd meet with the Bound girl. Why did you run?"

Eyes wide, he scampered to his feet and dusted himself off. "I-I only had your best intentions in mind, Sasha." His voice wobbled all over the place. He swallowed, taking a huge gulp of air as he did. "She had been alone when I met with her last night--now there are two of them. I didn't trust her to bring her to you." 

"Tch." She raised her hand to his face, tracing the length of his cheekbone with her fingertips. Then she slapped him roughly but not enough to move him. "Silly, Bruce. I don't care who she is or how many Knights she brought--I want to see her dragon. You've caused a lot of trouble. I should kill you right now."

On his own volition, Bruce dropped to his knee and bowed, exposing the back of his neck to her. "If it must be done, then let it be so."

I stared, shocked by his willingness to give in to her. He wasn't even going to defend himself.

Sasha chuckled, ruffling his hair, like he was a pet. "I'll spare you this time. I think the girl might faint if I kill you in front of her."

"Hey, I-"

"Oh, shut up," she snapped at me. "I can see it in your eyes. You're fresh meat. I bet you haven't even seen battle. You, on the other hand," she turned her attention to Annalyse, giving her a thorough appraisal. A slow, pleased smile crept up her lips, "have seen battle. A lot of it."

Anna squared her shoulders, a steel edge hardening her gray eyes; she didn't need to speak to prove Sasha right. "I've seen my fair share."

"Please tell me you're Bound to Arkon."

I gritted my teeth. Who did she think she was treating me like this? She had no idea who I was, what I had overcome to get here. I was just as worthy to be Arkon's partner as Anna was Aster's.

Anna smirked then called Aster over, lovingly stroking her muzzle as she pressed it into her side. "I am Bound to Aster."

Sasha inspected Aster with the same regard she gave Anna. "A fire dragon, eh? You make quite the impressive pair." Reluctantly, she turned back to me and crossed her arms while she looked me over again; she wasn't nearly as thrilled to see me. "So that leaves you to be Bound to him." She peered at Arkon over her shoulder. "What do you see in her? Her eyes are too soft."

A growl rumbled in his chest. "It is because of those gentle eyes that I am Bound to her. Despite all her hardships and loss, she continues to fight. She will be a worthy student."

Sasha scoffed, rolling her eyes. "We'll see about that."

I nearly stumbled on my words. It took all the self-restraint I possessed to reign in my excitement. "So you'll train me?"

"I haven't decided yet." She walked passed me with an air of snobby authority and climbed onto Syran's back. What she rode on was hardly called a saddle, more like a collection of leather scraps.

"Wait!" I moved to stop her. Lightning trickled out of her hand in the form of a whip; she cracked it, catching my cheek. A jolt shot through me then blood ran freely down my face.

"You're gonna have to show me you have more guts than it looks like you do, girl. My techniques aren't for the weak."

Syran took off with one powerful thrust of his wings. The wind knocked me back and sent sand flying everywhere. It cut into my exposed flesh. I covered my face with my hand, coughing until the sand finally settled. 

Anna appeared in front of me, a disgruntled look on her face as she brushed sand off her shoulders. "That didn't go well." 

I barely heard her. The blood soaring through my veins was too loud for me to hear much of anything aside from the simmering rage burning inside of me. 

Weak. The plague of a word followed me everywhere I went. People took one look at me and assumed they knew enough about me to dismiss me. But Arkon believed in me. Commander Hargin believed in me. Anna wouldn't be here right now if she didn't think I was ready for the next phase of my training. 

I didn't come to the Desert Lands to fail. I wouldn't be able to avenge my family sitting and wallowing about what people thought of me. I was a survivor. A fighter. I did what it took to keep going, even when some days I could barely bother to roll out of bed. I wouldn't let this woman be the hurdle I couldn't overcome. 

I caught movement in the corner of my eye; Sasha's little subordinate had been left behind and he was trying to sneak away before we noticed him. Too late.

I jumped to my feet and fisted his shirt, demanding he looked me in the eye. He slammed his palms down on the crook of my elbows, which forced me to release him. Only briefly; I was pissed off and much faster than him. I tripped him then bent his arm behind his back and dug my knee into the base of his spine for good measure.

"Listen here, asshole. You're going to take me Sasha."

He laughed--then sputtered and spat sand out of his mouth. "Or what?" He seemed to have become braver after Sasha had declared I was too weak to be worth her time. His mistake.

"I'll break your arm." As soon as the words left my mouth, my resolve hit a little bump. I wanted to learn magic more than anything, but was breaking this man's arm really worth it? Out here, with no healers, a broken arm could be a death sentence.

He seemed to sense that I was starting to falter and tilted his head to smirk at me. "You won't."

"No, probably not," Anna agreed, coming to my side. She crouched in front of Bruce, cocking her head to the side as she dispassionately examined him. "But I will. You see, Eva needs to learn how to use her magic and Sasha is the only person in the world who can teach her. It's my job to make sure it happens. Do you understand?" 

Bruce swallowed nervously. So did I. This was a side of Annalyse I hoped I never had to face. She might as well be the God of Death herself here to aid Bruce to the next part of his journey. 

Once the weight of Anna's promise became unbearable, he nodded frantically.  "I-I'll take you."

She smiled, patting his back. He winced, barely containing a cry.

I changed my grip on him, hauling him to his feet, then shoved him forward. Aster and Arkon adjusted their wings, casting huge shadows over us. It was enough to make their presence known, and ensure Bruce behaved himself. He glanced back at us, sweating significantly more, and pointed to the south. "It-it's right this way."  

"What is?" Anna demanded.

"Storm Cove. Sasha and the rest of us live there." He walked forward.

Feeling some of the tension in my shoulders fade, I followed him. Anna stayed close, a hand on the hilt of her sword in case of an ambush. Aster circled us from above, keeping an eye on our surroundings, while Arkon trailed behind us. I used my anger to push aside the blaring heat welting my skin and the scorching sun pelting my eyes. The discomfort was only temporary, but if I couldn't convince Sasha to teach me how to wield Arkon's magic, my journey ended right here and there was little I could do to stop Darius.

Bruce continued southward, each step find more confidence the further we went. It either meant he was taking us to his home and the relief of returning home was enough to make him move with more vigor. Or he was leading us to a trap.  If he thought we were stupid enough to let our guard down. . . 

And then I heard it. A crushing roar that sounded unlike anything I'd ever heard. 

Waves, Arkon answered my unasked question. 

 We were heading toward the ocean. The closer we got, the louder the ocean grew, sounding more like thunder against cliffs rather than water. A cool breeze swept by us, and I couldn't help inhaling the salty air in relief. It was the best feeling in the world after being stuck in this awful heat for so long.

We followed a path down the side of the cliff, being careful not to tread on the birds' nests lain against the rocky wall. Near the bottom of the cliff, there was a wide mouth, allowing us entrance to a cave.

Arkon eyed the cave warily. "She is in there, Eva, with Syran, but I fear if I follow you the space will limited and constrictive."

I touched the tip of his snout, just between his nostrils. "Wait out here, then. I'll call you if we need you."

Anna bumped my shoulder with hers and grinned at Arkon. "I'll keep her out of trouble."

Her promise eased his mind. He laid down on the beach, only his tail slipping into the rough waters behind him.

Bruce continued to lead ys into the cave. At first, I thought he was taking us somewhere secluded, out of our dragons' views, but then I saw signs of people living here; bowls, blankets, tools. The deeper we went, the more people appeared and the homier it became, furnished with rugs and torches.

Deep within the cave, a throne made of stone stood out among the few people surrounding it. Sasha laid sideways on the throne, swinging her legs freely; knowing her, she was aware of our presence, but chose to ignore us for the time being. After being dismissed as a weakling, it wasn't that surprising. With Syran curled protectively behind her, she might as well have been Queen of the Desert Lands. 

Fists clenched, I stepped up to her. "Sasha, teach me how to use our magic."

Slowly, lazily, she turned her gaze to us. There was no emotion in her features. "I don't remember inviting you to my home," she said to us, but her eyes cut deep into Bruce.

"She-"

"Enough," she interrupted, already fed up with his excuse. "Leave," she ordered her posy.

They left without delay, leaving the three of us alone with her dragon. She swung off her throne and approached me, griping my chin.

"Why do you want my help so badly?" she asked, moving her gaze over to Annalyse, though she wasn't as critical with her. What was there to be critical about? She stood as straight as she would have if her mother was here to inspect her form. Her light gray eyes held a talk-shit-get-hit look that made anyone fearful of saying anything, let alone dare to insult her.

"I have no idea how to use Arkon's magic. I need to-"

She cut me off, setting a hard glare on me. "Need? Why do you need his powers? What makes you so special to think you deserve the magic he gave you?"

I was caught off guard by the unrestrained anger in her question. Suddenly there were a lot of emotions in her eyes, ones that ran deep and have been haunting her for years. Everything became clear for me. 

"I never thought for a minute that I deserved the gift given to me," I confessed, hoping to reach her, "but I have it now. I want to help people. My village faced a terrible fate and I don't want anyone else to feel the pain I felt."

Her eyes narrowed on me. "That's very naïve."

"I want to do my part," I snapped, pushing through my frustration. It was like wrestling with a bull to get any kind of connection with her. "I have the power to change the world, so why shouldn't I change it for the better? It's why I became a Knight, it's why Arkon is my partner."

"Uh-huh." With a dry look pinned on me, she made her way back to her throne, sitting comfortably as Syran sat behind her, tail coiling around in front of her. She crossed her legs, lounging casually. "Let me guess: King Renkon sent you here. He wants you to be his little pet and fight only the meaningless, pointless battles?"

"I declined the king's offer."

She cocked her head to the side like a curious bird. "Then how do you know where to find me? Only the Kain family knows where I am."

"Prince Leonidas told me."

She sat upright and blinked, suddenly alert. Did I see affection in those deep brown eyes?

"Little Leo?" She seemed to remember him differently than how I knew him. If she saw how he behaved today, she'd be shocked if she still thought of him as an innocent little boy.

Annalyse snickered. "He's twenty-five now. I don't think he'd appreciate being called 'little'."

Sasha paused for a moment, glancing back at Syran. "Has it really been twenty years already? Wow. Time flies when people stop hunting you." She sighed, tsking on an entirely different personality after the mention of the prince. "Well, now I feel old. What's he like now?"

"He's very handsome," I admitted, wondering why that was the first thing that popped into my head when I thought of him. "He's arrogant and libidinous, but also very charming and I think underneath all of his haughty exterior he's a kind person, one who truly cares about his people. He'll be a good king one day."

"And that's why you follow him." It wasn't a question.

"Yes. I'll fight for him if he calls, but. . . our enemy is strong and I'm. . ."

"Weak."

"I am not weak!" I shouted, almost screamed. "I didn't get where I am today for being weak. Give me a challenge, and I'll beat it. You show me your techniques, and I'll master them. Nothing will stop me from doing what I need to do to make King Sylus pay for murdering my family." By the end, I was panting and barely able to stop myself from shaking.

She gave it some thought, tapping her cheek with two fingers. "Hmmm. I'll give it some thought. You may go."

"Give. It. Some. Thought?" I seethed. "Are you serious? Are you so-"

Annalyse kicked the back of my knee, knocking me over. "Thank you for your time, Miss Remoar, we look forward to hearing back from you." She basically dragged me out of the cave before I could yell at that arrogant bitch further. Grumbling, she shoved me up the cliffside until we hit the sand. "You really don't know when to keep your mouth shut, do you?"

"She's-"

"She is the only person in this world who can help you," Annalyse barked quickly before I could complain further. "She may be an asshole, but sometimes you have to bite your tongue for the greater good. This is one of those times."

As much as I hated it, I couldn't argue with her. She was right. As always.

I let out an aggravated sigh. "Fine. . . . So what do we do now?"

"We wait. Patiently," she added pointedly. She walked back to our camp.

Arkon came to my side. "We have said our piece, Little One. Now it is up to Sasha. Come."

He followed Anna back to the back. Reluctantly, I went after him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 15.2K 51
{COMPLETED} The stars disappeared seventeen years ago. A black night sky has mirrored a bleak existence for the people of Auros. The Gifted, humans w...
52K 2.5K 30
《Paperback available on Amazon》 Book 1 || Adventures of Wala series || Kali Dracino is a born-and-raised dragon tamer. There hasn't been a single dra...
903 139 50
"Do you know that there is a saying that if you smile at the sky before bed, the moon will give you beautiful dreams?" "I never heard of that.." he w...
2.6M 100K 72
Allie Henderson was one of the best, she was a brutal fighter, she was a just leader, and she was full of potential. Allie was a lot of things before...