Kurapika x Reader One-Shot Co...

By bera_senpai

Kurapika x Reader One-Shot Collection All Kurapika x Reader one-shots will be inserted here. I will place an... More

My Personal Bodyguard*
Don't Leave Me*
A Special Announcement*
A Special Announcement Version 2 (Same story minus the lemony bits)
A Letter From Kurapika*
You Are Mine, Only Mine*
A Special Announcement Part Two
Beautiful Blossoms of Demise (Lime)
Beautiful Blossoms of Demise* Part Two
Waves of Passion*
Prisoner of Love* Part One
Prisoner of Love Part Two
Prisoner of Love* Part Three
Fragile* Part One
Fragile* Part Two Kurapika's POV
The Diary
Sleepless Night* Kurapika's POV
Cemetery Walks Part One
Cemetery Walks Part Two
Happy Halloween! (Lime)
The Dragon's Secret*
My Everything* Part One
My Everything* Part Two
My Everything* Part Three
I'll Be Home For Christmas
The Roomate*
My First and Only*
Question from Author
The Roommate* Part Two
Stay Alive for Me* (Kurapika x Male Reader)
Stay Alive for Me* (Kurapika x Female Reader)
The Roommate* Part Three
You're Enough For Me*
K-Dream: A K-Pop Idol Story
Broken Promises*
The Solemn Vow
The Solemn Vow* Part Two
Shelter in the Prince* An AU Story
The Best Man*
Beautiful Lies*
Beautiful Lies* Part Two
Beautiful Lies* Part Three
K-Dream: A K-Pop Idol Story Part Two
One Minute in Heaven* (Kurapika x Male Reader)
One Minute in Heaven* (Kurapika x Male Reader) Part Two
Lights* (Kurapika x Male Reader)
Lights* (Kurapika x Female Reader)
The Priceless Item*
I Wish I Could Have Loved You Longer* (Kurapika x Male Reader)
Some Bruises Never Heal*
How to Love a Loser* Part One (Kurapika x Male Reader)
How to Love a Loser* Part Two (Kurapika x Male Reader)
Don't Vanish From Me*
Spells of the Heart* Part One (A Medieval AU Story)
Spells of the Heart* Part Two (A Medieval AU Story)
Spells of the Heart* Part Three (A Medieval AU Story)
How to Love a Loser* Part Three (Kurapika x Male Reader)
The New Hire* (An AU Sex Worker Story)
Voices* (Kurapika x Male Reader)
Don't Vanish From Me* Part Two
I'd Tell You I'd Kill For You, But I've Done That Already*

The Dragon's Secret* Version Two

333 12 67
By bera_senpai

I received a request to give this story an alternate ending. I must admit, I felt sad writing it. However, I think this version is better. Let me know what you think!

The twigs crunch beneath your feet as you walk around this unknown place. Your ex-boyfriend dropped you off in the middle of nowhere. A city girl at heart, this place feels foreign to you. The cool wind whistles through you as you spin around to explore your surroundings. Instead of skyscrapers, there are towers of trees above you. You've never seen so much green before.

With nothing to do but walk, you continue down a path that leads to a meadow. You run through the carpet of wildflowers that cover the grass. For a moment, you feel happy. That feeling quickly fades away as soon as you realize you have nowhere to live or food to eat. Your heartbeat races as you become aware of the fact that your ex-boyfriend left you here to die.

"That bastard! I'll show him I can survive on my own," you shout.

You continue to walk until you reach a stone building. You gasp as you walk closer. It's as if you're a child again and brought a magical castle to life. It's everything you remember from your storybooks.

The wind gets colder as you walk up the steps to the front door, sending a chill down your spine. Before you make it to the top, a giant creature swoops you off your feet. The castle now looks like a small figurine as you are taken higher into the sky. You're afraid to look up to see what it is that is carrying you away. Your stomach drops as it descends back to the castle.

The creature safely returns you to land. You slowly lift your head up to look at the scaly bat-winged creature.

No way...dragons don't exist...where am I?

You stare at it as you plan your escape. You notice there is something about this dragon that doesn't frighten you. There is sadness in its eyes.

"Are you going to hurt me?"

The dragon shakes its head.

"Then why did you bring me here?"

It moves its head towards the door. It creaks as you slowly open it. The sound of your footsteps echo throughout the castle as you walk inside. Tall glass display cases line the walls. Strange items such as skulls, antique medical equipment, and scarlet eyes are safely locked inside each of them.

A beautiful lady walks down the spiral staircase and greets you. "Welcome to your new home."

"My home?" you ask, shocked.
"Yes, come...come," she says as she grabs your hand.

She leads you into a magnificent dining room. Your mouth waters as you smell the delicious food that is beautifully plated on the table. She pulls out a seat for you.

"Please...help yourself to whatever you'd like."

You sit down and immediately grab a plate. You're famished so you fill it with a variety of food.

"Thank you...everything is delicious," you say with a mouthful of food.

The lady patiently waits for you to finish your meal before talking. After you gulp down your water, she folds her hands together on the table.

"You're probably wondering why my dragon brought you here."

You stare at her as you set down your glass. "Yeah. I'm a little curious about that."

"You see...this castle holds a lot of precious things. Things that I can't live without. You can say my dragon is my protector," she says. She hangs her head. "But...she's getting old. She can't protect me and my treasures like she used to."

"That's so sad," you say, listening intently.

She leans in closer to you. "How would you like to be my next dragon?"

You almost fall out of your seat. "What do you mean?" You place your hands on your chest. "I'm human!"

The lady offers you a smile. "I know. However, I have the capability to change that."

"No way...I feel bad...but I don't want to turn into a dragon." You get up from your seat. "Thank you for the meal, but I should be leaving."

"Wait!" She stands up and holds her hand out. "You wouldn't always be a dragon. It will only be when I need you to guard the castle. And when you are human, this will be your home. You are welcome to whatever you want, except my treasures."

You stare at her in disbelief. "This sounds too good to be true. You mean I get to leave behind my shitty life to live in this magnificent castle? And turn into a powerful dragon? What's the catch?"

"The only catch is you'll work for me for the rest of your life."

You chew your lip as you process everything. It only takes you a few seconds to come up with a decision. "Sign me up!"

The lady's eyes widen in surprise. "You don't want time to think about it?"

You shake your head. "Nope. There's nothing else for me in this life." You raise an eyebrow. "Just one question...will it hurt? To turn into a dragon?"

"Just in the beginning," she says. She walks toward you. "Now...let me take you to your room."

You follow her up the spiral staircase. An elaborate chandelier hangs from the ceiling. Various portraits line the walls. This is a place you wouldn't mind spending the rest of your life in.

She opens the door to your bedroom. You gasp as soon as you see the beautifully decorated bedroom that you will occupy. A canopy lines the king-sized bed in the middle of the room. A huge wooden dresser sits against the wall to the right. A bay window complete with a bench and pillows is to your left. It's the perfect spot for reading. Next to it is a door that leads to a balcony overlooking the beautiful forest. You look up at the ceiling. Another chandelier hangs from the middle. It's not as big as the one in the main area, but it's just as elaborate.

You tilt your head to the side when you notice a tea cart next to your bed. A wine glass sits on top. It's filled to the top with red liquid. "Wine?"

The lady shakes her head. "No. That's dragon blood. You will need to drink it for the transformation."

You jump back. "What? But...that's disgusting!"
"Take your time. It's good until midnight." She backs away and turns toward the door.

You grab her arm. "Hey. Thank you. You've given me a second chance at life. I promise to protect your things with all my ability."

Her eyes crinkle at the corners when she smiles. "I know you will."

You jump on your bed as soon as she closes the door behind her. You laugh as you roll around in it. You hop off to look through your dresser drawers. Each drawer is filled with elegant clothing.

"I'm a fucking princess!"

As you look through your new wardrobe, you notice the glass of blood with your peripheral vision. You sigh and pick up the glass. "Why is it always before midnight? Does all magic stop as soon as the clock strikes twelve?" you ask yourself as you walk to the bay window with the glass in your hand.

You sit down on the bench and look outside the window. You can see the sun setting from behind the trees, changing the color of the sky to a mixture of orange, pink, and purple.

The world out there is cruel. People are rude and unforgiving. I'd rather live alone in the woods with the wolves than to go back home.

With that thought, you gulp down the dragon blood. You hold your breath to make it easier, however, the taste of rust is too strong to mask.

You set the glass down and start to pant. There is still more to drink. You stare at it while taking a deep breath.

I can do this.

Once you finish the glass of blood, you run to the mirror. There's blood around your lips. You wipe it off with the back of your hand.

"Well, I don't feel different."

You look closer into the mirror. Your eyes begin to change to a light pink color. You walk back as burning pain flows through your veins. It feels like someone is repeatedly injecting acid directly into your skin.

You fall to your knees, clench your teeth, and grip the rug beneath you. Sweat drops form on your forehead. You scream in agony as something tries to make its way out of your scapulas. Instinctively, you get up to open the door next to the window. Without thinking, you jump off the balcony. You watch as the ground comes closer to you. Before you hit the ground, your new wings spread out and you begin to fly.

Just when you think the pain is at its worst, it subsides as if the wind is blowing it away. You do flips and fly as fast as you can in the air.

Flying is everything you imagined it would feel like. You are weightless in the air, even though you are now a dragon.

After testing your new form, you sit on top of the castle. You look up to the night sky, not regretting a thing.

___

Months pass by and you are enjoying your new life as the castle's guard. The Lady of the Castle rewards you with extravagant gifts every time you prevent someone from stealing her possessions. You become very close to her. She becomes a mother figure to you.

What gives you the most pleasure is taking the lives of men who try to break inside the castle to steal the treasures. It feels like you are helping out women like yourself who have been taken advantage of by men.

Your heart is tainted and you have sworn to never allow another man to come into your life.

That is until you meet the newest intruder. You are currently in your human form. You answer the door and gasp. Standing in front of you is the most beautiful man you have ever seen. He is of average height and is dressed in a black suit. His hair is so blonde it's as if he's hiding the sun under those thick straight locks. What stands out the most are his alluring black eyes. Big, rounded, and slanted at the corners, his eyes pierce through your soul.

You force yourself to look away. You curse under your breath for allowing a man to make you feel this way.

"What do you want?" you ask, your voice stern.
"Are you the Lady of the Castle?" he asks.
"Answer my question first."
"I believe the owner of this castle has something that belongs to me. I wish to retrieve what is rightfully mine."
"I'm sorry, but everything here belongs to The Lady. Please leave," you say. You start to close the door.

He blocks the door. "I don't want to cause any trouble."

"Then leave. And don't come back."
"Not until I take back what is mine," he says.
"Listen...I don't know who you think you are, but like I said before, everything here belongs to The Lady."
"You are mistaken. She is in possession of something that has been stolen from me. It is imperative that I get it back."

You are still trying to push him away. "Look...Mister...you are the one who is mistaken. The Lady has purchased everything legally through auction. Nothing here has been stolen."

You briefly make eye contact with him. A shock of electricity shoots down your spine. You need him to leave. You take your hand off of the door and place them on his chest. You attempt to push him, but it feels like he is keeping rocks beneath his suit. This man is not like the others you've easily defeated. He's strong. And very determined.

He notices your struggle and lifts his left hand. He gently wraps his fingers around your wrists. He removes them from his chest. "Like I said before, I don't want trouble. Just allow me to speak with The Lady of the Castle."

Your mouth is slightly open as you stare at him. You can still feel the sting of his touch on your wrists. "What is your name?"

"My name is not important. I'll be back here at the same time tomorrow. Please let her know to expect me," he says. He turns to leave.

Who does this man think he is? Does he expect me to obey him like some dog? Oh...I'll be ready for him tomorrow.

As promised, he comes back the next day. You wait for him on top of the castle in your dragon form. You roar as you fly above him. He raises his right hand, exposing what appears to be chains. He pulls his right arm back and throws a metal ball at you.

You hit the ground, not expecting a tiny chain to cause so much pain. He runs toward you. The chain continues to wrap around your neck. You take a deep breath before the chain squeezes your airway. Just when you are about to blow out a breath of fire, he jumps on top of you. You can end his life with one breath, but something deep inside of you tells you to spare him.

"Dragon, as I told the maiden yesterday, I mean no harm," he says, staring into your pink eyes. He furrows his brow as if he recognizes you.

He shows up everyday for the next week. He is so insistent it makes you smile. You're sad when you realize you'll need to kill him soon.

You sit down to eat your dinner when The Lady comes running to you. She sits down in the chair next to you. You can't read her expression.

"(Y/N), I need to talk to you about that man you're playing around with."

You drop your spoon on the table. "My Lady, I promise...I plan on killing him tomorrow. I've just been having a little fun with him."

"No! It's important that you do not kill him!"

You give her a puzzled look. "Wait...you don't want me to kill him?"

"Well, not yet. Let me explain. He's the last Kurta. He possesses scarlet eyes. I want them!"

"And how do you suggest I take them?"

"Make him fall in love with you."

Your eyes widen. "Huh? Why does he need to fall in love with me? I can simply kill him and pluck them right out."
"No, you don't understand. The color of his eyes will be prettier if he's in love," she says. She places her hand on your thigh. "Does he know you're my dragon?"

"No. At least I don't think so."
"Good. Starting tomorrow, I want you to stay in your human form. You're a beautiful girl. I'm sure he'll fall in love with you in no time at all."
"Are men even capable of falling in love? The men where I'm from only want one thing. What makes him any different?"
"Oh, sweetie. Of course men are capable of love. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience before. Now is our chance for revenge. Either way, I want those eyes."

You sigh. "Sure...whatever you say." You hold your chin. "How do you suggest I do him in? You know...when it's time."

She smiles as she slides a red cloth over to you.

You scrunch your forehead as you unwrap the cloth. You stare at the shiny knife. "This is no ordinary guy. He's intelligent. I'm sure he'll be able to avoid a knife attack."

She gives you a mischievous smile. "Not while you're making love to him."

You jump back in your seat. "Wait...what?"
"Hide the knife under your pillow. Just when you're about to give him the orgasm of his life, slice his throat," she says.
"And his eyes?"
"Scoop them out. But be careful...I want them in perfect condition."

You relax against your seat. "Sounds easy enough."
"You can incinerate his body when you're done," she says.

You wrap the knife back in the cloth. You stand up to leave. "You know...your plan is sick." You start to walk away. Before you leave the dining room, you look back at her. "I knew I liked you for a reason." The corners of your mouth move upwards into a mischievous smile.

She smiles back at you. "(Y/N)? Just promise me one thing."
"What?"
"Don't fall in love with him."

___

The next morning, you sit outside and wait for the Kurta to arrive. You see a shadowy figure appear from the fog. You stand up and straighten out your dress to greet him. You notice he is holding a bag.

He looks surprised to see you. "Oh! Maiden...I was expecting to see your pet dragon. I brought these for her." He hands you the bag.

You open the bag to look inside. The aroma of pumpkin spice fills your nose. "Muffins?"

"Yes. I made them last night. I thought I'd bribe her into letting me inside the castle."

You raise an eyebrow. "You thought you could bribe my dragon with pumpkin muffins?"

"Yes. She is rather playful. To be honest, I think she likes me."

You take offense to his comment. You cross your arms. "My dragon is actually very powerful. She can kill you easily."

He starts to laugh.

"What's so funny?"
"I'm sorry...I never introduced myself. I'm called Kurapika. I'm a hunter and I've had many encounters with strange beasts and monsters," he says, reaching out his hand.

Show off.

You shake his hand. "My name is (Y/N)."

"That's a beautiful name," he says, pulling his hand away. "So where is your dragon?" He looks around the area.
"She actually has the day off."
"I must have worn her out."

You bite your tongue to stop yourself from cursing him out.

"I was actually hoping to see you again," he says.
"You were?" You twist your hair and blink your eyes in an attempt to flirt with him.
"Yes. Please...I need your help." He looks at you with pleading eyes.
"What can I help you with, Kurapika?"
"I'm here to negotiate."
"Negotiate what?" you ask, already knowing the answer.
"The scarlet eyes. I know they are within the walls of this castle."
"They mean a lot to you, huh?"

He hangs his head. "They do."

You touch his arm. "I want to help you," you lie.

He lifts his head. "You do?" he asks, surprised.

"Yes. I will try to convince The Lady to make an offer with you."

He bows in front of you. "Thank you. I will forever be in your debt."
"It won't be easy. I ask that you please be patient with me."
"Of course. I shall return tomorrow. Give my regards to your dragon," he says. He wears the face of someone who just obtained a key to a treasure chest. "Oh, and enjoy the muffins."

He reaches down and brushes his lips against your cheek. The warmth of his breath causes you to blush.

"Thank...thank you," you say.

You watch as he walks away. When he is out of sight, you reach into the bag to pull out one of the muffins. You close your eyes as you savor a bite.

"Dammit...they're delicious."

A few more weeks pass by and you and Kurapika have been spending every day together. The two of you are taking a midday walk in the woods when he confesses the reason why he is seeking the scarlet eyes.

You already heard The Lady's version of the story, but hearing it from him makes your heart ache.

"That's the saddest story I've ever heard!" You cover your mouth with your hand.
"Please...don't feel sorry for me. I'm not looking for pity. I've made great friends during my journey."
"Then why are you telling me?"

He's silent for a few seconds. Instead of his voice, you hear the sounds of birds chirping and squirrels rusting through the leaves. You want to hear more of Kurapika's voice.

"I'm telling you because you're a good person. I'm good at reading people. I can easily tell if they have malicious intentions," he says.

Your heart drops to your stomach. Beads of sweat form on your forehead.

But...I do have malicious intentions. Is he just playing with me?
He stops walking. He grabs your waist with his left hand. He uses his right hand to tuck a few stray hairs behind your ear. He offers you the softest smile you have ever seen.

"I can tell you're nervous. The truth is, I am nervous as well. We've only known each other for a few weeks, but I feel...different. This feeling is new to me." He grabs his chest with his right hand. "I can't describe it."

You hold the hand that's on his chest. "Try. Try to describe the feeling to me."

You look up into his eyes while he searches for an answer. You feel a tinge of guilt as you remember your purpose for being with him. Kurapika isn't like any of the other men you've met in the past. He's smart, kind, and honest. For a moment, you wish the circumstances were different.

"It's an enigma. You're mysterious and my heart longs for you. I don't know if you exist for me, but I am willing to wait a lifetime to find out."

"Oh...Kurapika."

He places a finger on your lips. "Shh...you don't need to say anything."

You want to tell him to run far away. You want to warn him about The Lady and how he is going to die soon. However, you remember how The Lady saved you from your terrible life. You must go through with her plan. It's the least you can do.

Your thoughts are suddenly interrupted as you feel Kurapika's lips press against yours. Waves of electricity are sent throughout your entire body. You feel his tongue swipe across your lower lip. You notice his eyes are closed. He places his right hand behind your head while still supporting your lower back with his left hand. Your eyelids shut as you fall back, allowing him to support your trembling body.

You part your lips. As soon as you feel his tongue touch yours, you collapse. He tightens his grip around you, preventing your fall. His lips never leave yours as he holds you close to his body. You've never felt so safe in your entire life. You wrap your arms around his neck, allowing him to deepen the kiss.

He pulls away for air, leaving you wanting more. You breathe heavily as you stare at his reddened lips. Turning into a dragon doesn't even come close to the magic you just experienced.

"I hope you can forgive me. I just couldn't help myself," he says, tracing your collarbone with his fingertips.
"Of course." You look into his eyes. His black contacts are outlined in a deep crimson color. You place your hand against his cheek. "Show me your eyes."

He steps back. He looks to the left and then to the right before taking his contacts out.

You gasp. It's no wonder The Lady wants his eyes. The deep scarlet color shimmers throughout his irises.

"Kurapika...you should never cover them. They're so beautiful."
"Not as beautiful as you, (Y/N). I've traveled to many places and I've never seen anything that comes close to matching your beauty." He kisses the top of your head.

"Kurapika, thank you for sharing your secret with me," you say, wrapping your arms around the Kurta. "Wait here. I have a secret to share with you."

You release him. He gives you a puzzled look as you run away, leaving him alone in the woods.

Minutes later, you reappear in your dragon form. You sit in front of him and motion for him to hop on your back.

"I'm sorry, dragon. (Y/N) asked me to wait for her."

You move closer to him so he could see your eyes. He looks directly into them.

"(Y/N)? Is that you?"

You nod your head. He hops on your back and you take flight. You can hear his laughter through the wind. The sound warms your heart.

You take him around the castle and through the forest.

Once you safely land, Kurapika hops off. He runs to face you. You hang your head to his level. He touches the side of your head. "I knew it was you! But...how?"

You shake your head. He nods. "We can save that secret for another day," he says.

Later that evening, after you have transformed back into your human form, Kurapika walks you back to the castle. The crescent moon is bright against the darkening sky. The crickets start to chirp in the distance.

Kurapika takes your hand into his. He places it near his lips. "My precious dragon...today has been the best day of my life." He kisses your hand.

"Mine, too."

"I have one more secret to share with you."

You raise an eyebrow. "Another secret?"

"Actually, it's more like a confession," he says.

"What is it?"

"Before I met you, I had only one purpose. Life was all about work with little time for rest and nourishment. I even ignored my friends. Now, I'm in love with life...because you're in it. I don't know how you did it, but you bewitched me. What I'm trying to say is...I...I love you."

Tears well up in your eyes. "Kurapika...I love you, too!"

You reach up to kiss him. He lifts you up and spins you around. He safely places you back on your feet before pulling away.

"Tomorrow?" he asks.
"Of course."
"Until then." He starts to walk away from you. "I hope you have pleasant dreams tonight."
"They will be about you."

You turn around and walk inside the castle. Your smile never leaves your face.

Your smile fades as soon as you notice The Lady staring at you from the fireplace. You jump back in surprise.

"That was some kiss," she says, crossing her arms.
"Well...just doing my job."

Her lips curve upwards into a mischievous smile. "It's time."

"Time for what?" you ask.
"Time to follow through with our plan."
"Oh...that. I think I need a little more time. You know...to make sure he's truly in love with me."

The Lady's smile fades as she walks close to you. She uncrosses her arms and raises her right arm. She slaps the side of your face. You instinctively place your hand on your cheek.

"What was that for?" you ask, tears falling down your cheek.
"I heard him confess his love for you. Why do you want more time? Is it because you're also in love with him?"
"Of course not! You know I'd never disobey you!"
"Good girl," she says, caressing the cheek she just slapped. "Tomorrow night...you'll invite him to the castle. My chef will prepare a romantic dinner for the two of you. After dinner, you'll take him upstairs to your room. Change into the lingerie I placed on your bed...he won't be able to resist you."

"Whatever you say, My Lady," you say with a bow.

___

You crawl into bed and pull the covers over you. You hate yourself for actually falling in love with Kurapika.

How did this happen? I swore I'd never let another man into my heart.

Regardless, you must go through with The Lady's plan to steal his eyes. She's the one who provided you with your wonderful new life.

You soak your pillowcase as you cry yourself to sleep.

___

You spend the next day with Kurapika. As soon as the sun begins to set, you invite him in for dinner.

The two of you sit in front of each other. Lanterns surround the table, providing a romantic ambience.

The chef brings out your plates. Kurapika looks at the food with excitement in his eyes.

"Everything looks delicious!"
"Wait til you see what's for dessert," you say with a grin.

After dinner, Kurapika leans back in his chair and rubs his stomach. "That was the most satisfying meal I've had in a long time. And yes, that dessert was absolutely delectable."

You reach under the table and place your hand on his knee. "That wasn't dessert."

Kurapika lifts an eyebrow. "It wasn't?"

"Follow me," you say.

You hold Kurapika's hand as you walk him up the stairs to your bedroom. You open the door that leads to your balcony. "Wait here for me," you say.

Kurapika takes a seat in one of the chairs. "I'll wait anywhere for you. Even in the fiery pit of hell."

You close the door behind you, leaving Kurapika alone. You run to the bathroom to change into lingerie. You check your makeup and take your hair down.

Before going back outside to get Kurapika, you make sure the knife is in place. The Lady had also given you a sharp spoon and a container to place his eyes.

You take a deep breath before slowly walking away from your bed.

You knock on the door to get Kurapika's attention. He opens the door. His jaw drops as soon as he sees you.

"(Y/N)...I...I didn't think it was possible for you to be any prettier," he says, stumbling his words.

You take his hand and lead him to your bed. You crawl on top, onto your knees.

"Kurapika...I want you to show me the stars."

Kurapika swallows hard. You see his Adam's apple move up and down.

"(Y/N), we've only known each other for a few weeks...are you sure?"
"I've never been more sure of anything. Don't you love me?"
"Yes. I love you. I just want to make sure you're ready."
"I'll show you just how ready I am," you say as you unbuckle his belt.

Kurapika's pants fall to his feet. You pull down his briefs. It's obvious he wants you just as much as you want him. His large manhood is erect and ready for attention.

You attempt to wrap your hand around him. You move your face closer, opening your mouth. You lick the clear fluid before putting him in your mouth.

He gasps. "Oh...Kami...(Y/N)," he says.

You move your head up and down his length. You make sure to stop when you feel his legs trembling. You can't finish him off just yet.

You lean back on the bed, licking your lips. Kurapika stares at you with flushed cheeks.

"You're amazing," he says. "Allow me to return the favor."

He grips the sides of your panties. "May I?" he asks.

You nod your head.

He slowly pulls them down, dropping them on the floor.

He gets down on his knees and reaches out to pull you closer to him. He positions your feet flat on the bed. He starts to kiss the inside of your right thigh. You lift your head to watch him. You're glad you turned on the bedside lamp.

He notices your gaze and smiles at you before giving your other thigh attention. When he's finished, he places his hands on top of your knees, spreading your legs. You throw your head back when you feel his breath against your clit. He presses his tongue against it and slowly moves down, parting your lips with his tongue.

You moan loudly as the pleasure travels in waves throughout your body. He starts to devour you. You reach down to grip his hair, forcing his mouth harder on you. Seconds later, you see white. Your body shudders as you climax against his mouth. He lightly sucks your clit as you finish.

You hold your legs in an attempt to stop them from shaking. Kurapika wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. He crawls on top of the bed and wraps his arms around you.

You are still breathing heavily. "Ku...ra...pi...ka?"

"Shh...just relax," he says while combing your hair back with his fingers. He kisses your neck until you recover.

Once your breathing returns to normal, you reach up to kiss his lips. He pulls you close, returning your kiss. He starts to breathe heavily once he feels you unbutton his shirt.

He pulls it off quickly, not wanting to let you go. "(Y/N), I want to become one with you."

"Please. Take me."

Kurapika kisses your shoulder before pulling down your strap. He does the same with your other shoulder. He slides your lingerie down and you wiggle yourself free from it. He cups one of your breasts with his hand while placing his lips over the other one. He spreads your legs further apart with his free hand. He gently bites your nipple while placing two of his fingers over your clit. You gasp as he slips them inside of you.

You rock your pelvis against his hand. "That feels...so good."

He pulls his fingers out before you finish again. You pout as he smiles at you. "I promise...this will feel better."

He positions himself directly in front of your wet entrance. He slides in, slowly filling you. You spread your legs as far as they will go, gripping the sheets.

Kurapika gives you a few seconds to adjust to his length before pulling back slowly. He thrusts in and out of you a few times before stopping. "You feel too good. I'll finish in seconds if I keep this up."

"But...ahh..."
"There's no rush. I want this moment to last forever," he says, leaving kisses on your neck.

You gently scratch his back, loving the feel of his weight on top of you. He kisses your bottom lip.

"(Y/N), look at me."

You stare into his eyes. They are a deeper shade of scarlet than from yesterday. Your heart sinks to your stomach when you suddenly realize your purpose for tonight.

"Kurapika," you say, grinding against him. "Please."

"I just want you to know how much I love you," he says.
"I love you, too."

Kurapika slowly pulls back before thrusting into you harder than before. You scream at the sudden rush of pleasure that builds below your navel. You throw your head back and instead of seeing white, tiny sparks appear all around you. Just when you think you can't take it anymore, Kurapika thrusts into you one more time, sending you over the edge of a cliff and into a pool of pure bliss.

Kurapika stops while you recover from your moment of euphoria.

"Did you see them?" he asks.
"See what?"
"The stars."

You smile. "Yes, they were beautiful."
"I'm glad," he says.

You keep your eyes on him while he continues to make love to you. Sweat drops form on his forehead. You reach under your pillow for the knife as soon as he closes his eyes. You know he is close.

He moans through clenched teeth. You allow him a few more seconds of pleasure before pulling the knife out and sliding it across his throat.

Warm blood splatters on your body as he falls on top of you. Your heart rate increases as adrenaline fills your veins. You slide his body off of yours and turn him on his back. His eyes are still open. You hop off of the bed for the spoon. Blood keeps pouring out of his wound. You didn't take into account how bloody this would be.

Tears stream down your cheeks as you insert the spoon into the corner of his eye. You push it in deep enough not to damage the eye. As soon as it pops out, you lean over the bed to throw up.

Once you finish unloading the contents of your stomach onto the floor, you wipe your mouth to proceed with the other eye.

You place them inside the glass container to deliver to The Lady. You feel the adrenaline leave your body as you fall to the floor. The strong smell of blood and vomit fill the room. You feel another wave of nausea. An overwhelming feeling of doom comes over you. You grab your chest. Your airway feels like it's narrowing. You pray death will come for you and take you to Kurapika.

Minutes later, you realize you're not dying. You get up off the floor to walk to the bathroom. You look into the mirror. Your naked body is covered in blood. You reach for a towel and wipe as much off as you can. After slipping into a robe, you walk out to deliver the eyes to The Lady.

You gently knock on the door to The Lady's bedroom. She invites you in. You hang your head as you pass the scarlet eyes to her.

"Oh my! Look at how beautiful they are!" she says, inspecting them. "We need to clean these up and get them in formaldehyde immediately."

"Would you like me to gather the supplies?" you ask, voice low.

The Lady looks up at you. "Oh, darling...look at you. You're a mess. I'll take care of the eyes. You get yourself cleaned up."

"As you wish," you say, turning to leave.

"(Y/N)? Did you dispose of the body yet?"

You shake your head. "No. He's still on my bed."

"Oh...take his body outside and incinerate it right away. I don't want my castle to smell like the dead."

"Right. Leave it to me."

You walk back to your bedroom feeling a mix of emotions: guilt, sadness, fear, and love. The overwhelming odor of rotting flesh hits you as soon as you open the door. You open your windows to ventilate the room.

You turn back around and stop at the foot of your bed, staring at Kurapika. He's unrecognizable. His hair that once resembled the color of the sun is now stained with blood. His skin that only moments ago showed radiance is now bluish-purple. The beautiful eyes that had you mesmerized are gone. You stare into the black holes. You can almost hear Kurapika's voice.

You crawl on top of the blood-soaked mattress. You lay your head on Kurapika's chest. You listen for a heartbeat that isn't there. His lungs are no longer breathing in air. Wishing you had the ability to turn back time, you hold his cold hand. His fingers don't intertwine with yours. Wanting so badly to feel his embrace, you pull his arm over your body. It only falls back down on the mattress.

Your scream echoes throughout the walls as you sob into Kurapika's chest.

"What have I done to you, my love? I want to die!"

You search for the knife you used to kill Kurapika. You press the blade firmly against your wrist. A knock on the door interrupts you. The Lady walks in, covering her nose.

"I thought I told you to get rid of this body! What the hell is taking you so long?" she shouts.

You look at her through misty eyes. You place the knife back on the bed. "I'm sorry. I'll take care of it right away."

You look back at Kurapika's body as soon as she leaves the room. "I'm so sorry."

You grab a stack of towels from your bathroom. You try your best to clean the blood off of Kurapika's body. You dress him back up in his suit before deciding how to get him out of the castle. One hundred and thirty pounds of dead weight is too much for you to carry.

You ask The Lady for help, but she dismisses you with her hand. "I'm not touching a corpse. That's your job."

You return to your room, deciding on a proper way to take Kurapika outside.

After several minutes of staring at him, you decide to wrap him up in a blanket and pull him downstairs.

You try to be as careful as possible. Even though he is dead, you still want to treat his body with the care and dignity it deserves.

You manage to drag his body to the middle of the woods. It's the same spot where he told you his secret. The full moon shines through the trees, providing you with light. You can hear the wolves howling in the distance.

"I'm not going to set you on fire. You deserve a proper burial," you say to Kurapika's lifeless body.

You run back to the castle to find a shovel. You rush back before the wolves devour him.

You spend the next hour digging a grave for Kurapika. You wipe your brow once you're finished.

You kneel in front of the fresh mound of soil. Tears stream down your cheeks. "I promise to make you a tombstone."

When you walk back inside the castle, you see The Lady displaying her new treasure. She turns to face you, giving you a look of disgust.

"Why are you covered in dirt?" she asks you. She walks up to you, scrunching her nose. "You smell like death! I thought I told you to take a shower!"

You turn your face away. "I'm sorry. I was disposing of Kurapika's body."

"Stop calling him by his name. It's just a body now."

You bite your tongue, suppressing the urge to yell at her.

"Yes, ma'am," you say. You start to walk past her, stopping to look at Kurapika's scarlet eyes she has on display. The beautiful deep red color shimmers and you feel it through your soul. At least you have something to remember him by.

___

Weeks pass by and you spend your days locked up in your room when you aren't guarding the castle. You made Kurapika the tombstone you promised. Life no longer has a purpose now that he's gone.

Every night before bed, you throw up. The image of Kurapika's dead body is still fresh in your mind.

One morning, you stare at your breakfast as The Lady takes a seat next to you.

"Aren't you going to eat?"

You pull your legs up, hugging your knees. "I'm not hungry."

"Well...you better force yourself. Have you looked in a mirror lately? You look awful."

You pick up your bowl of soup. The smell nauseates you and you throw up on the floor.

The Lady lifts her hand and smacks you in the face. "How dare you?"

"I'm sorry," you plead. "I'll clean it up immediately."

"You think I'm upset about the mess?"

You give her a puzzled look. "You're not mad at me for throwing up on your antique rug?"

"Of course not. I'm mad at you because you went off and got yourself pregnant."

"Wait...what?"

"You don't think I notice every time you get sick? I care about you for goodness sake. You're like a daughter to me," she says, crossing her arms.

"I know...but...how can I be pregnant?"

The Lady places her hand on her forehead. She shakes her head. "That Kurta boy...don't you remember what the two of you did before you killed him?"

Of course you remember. It was the greatest experience of your life. You hold your abdomen in disbelief.

"You think I'm having his baby?"

"I said you're pregnant. I didn't say anything about you actually having the baby. I'm too young to be a grandmother. Besides, this castle is no place for a baby."

You pull your eyebrows close together. "What are you suggesting?"

She waves her hand at you. "Don't worry...we'll find a way to destroy it."

You stand up. You can feel the blood pounding in your veins. "No! I'm having this baby. I don't care if I have to raise it in the woods."

"Sit back down," she says, pointing to the chair. "You can have the baby. You just need to figure out a way to guard my castle while raising it."

Tears fall down your cheeks as the feeling of joy runs through you. "Really? Thank you! I promise...I won't let you down."

"I know you won't."

___

You run to Kurapika's gravesite to tell him the news. You fall to your hands and knees, breathing heavily.

"Guess what, Kurapika?" you ask, panting. "You're going to be a father! Aren't you excited? The Kurta Clan will have a new member."

Wishing Kurapika was there to share your excitement, you look up to the sky. A breeze blows through you as if Kurapika heard your words.

"Thank you for leaving me with this precious gift," you say.

___

Months pass by and you take rapid breaths through clenched teeth as you squeeze The Lady's hand. You're in labor and the midwife is telling you it's time to push. After eighteen long hours of labor, you finally feel like there is an end in sight.

You feel like your cervix is on fire when the baby's head crowns. Just when you want to give up, you get a vision of Kurapika. You feel his presence near you, giving you the strength you need. Seconds later, you hear the sound of a baby crying.

"It's a boy!" shouts the midwife.

She wipes him off with a towel and hands him to you. Tears stream down your cheeks as you hold your tiny Kurta.

The Lady watches the two of you. She wears a proud smile on her face. "He's beautiful. What are you going to call him?"

You stare at your newborn with a smile. "Ryu. It means, mighty dragon. Just like his mother."

"I love it," The Lady says.

___

The years quickly pass by and The Lady has grown very fond of her grandson. She spends time with him while you guard the castle.

One evening, when your work is done, you walk into the castle to find your son looking through a pile of books in front of the fireplace. You watch him from a distance. You feel an ache in your heart when you notice how much he looks like Kurapika. From the golden hair to the unique shape of his eyes, the little boy is a spitting image of his father.

A big smile spreads across Ryu's face when he sees you. "Mama! Look what Grandma gave me!" He holds out a book. "This book is about people who call themselves Hunters. It's amazing...they get to visit so many cool places."

Your heart sinks to your stomach. "Is that so? Do you want to be a hunter one day?"

"I do, but Grandma says she doesn't like hunters and that I'm better off being a dragon like you."

You tilt your head to the side. "She doesn't like hunters?"

Ryu shakes his head. "Nope. She says they go around the world to take things that don't belong to them."

She's talking about Kurapika.

You shake the thought before kneeling to your son's level. "Well, you can be whatever you want. If you want to be a hunter, then you go out and be the best hunter in the world."

He gives you a kiss on the cheek before running off to look through the rest of his books.

You see The Lady sitting on her chair.

"I need to have a word with you," you say when you approach her.

The two of you walk to the kitchen where Ryu can't hear you.

"What is it, dear?" she asks you with a look of concern.
"Do me a favor. Please...don't say bad things about hunters to Ryu. I plan on telling him about his father one day. And Kurapika was a good man."

"Oh, don't be foolish. That man tried to steal from me."

You cross your arms. "He did not try to steal from you. The scarlet eyes were his to begin with. He simply wanted to make you an offer."

"And what will you gain from telling him about his father? Are you going to tell him how you massacred him and stole the eyes from his head while blood gushed from his neck? It took days for my cleaning crew to clean up that mess."

You wince from the memory. "That was your idea."

"Yes. But it was your idea to have that child. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, but you didn't think about the consequences. He'll want to know what happened to his father."

"You don't think I know that?"

The Lady takes your hand and places it in hers. "(Y/N), you're an intelligent woman. I know you'll figure it out. But...Ryu will be my next dragon. You owe me that much." The Lady turns her attention to the massive cake sitting on the kitchen island. "Anyway...tomorrow is a special day. I can't believe our little boy is turning six!"

A soft smile forms on your face. "I know. Time needs to slow down." You walk closer to the cake. "Don't you think this cake is a bit much? It's just the three of us."

"Don't be ridiculous. My boy deserves the best."

You lean over to check on Ryu. He's engrossed in his book.

"He does. Thank you."

The next morning, you wake up to find Ryu missing. You run outside to look for him.

"Ryu! Ryu...this isn't funny! Where are you?"

"Hi, mama!" calls a voice from above your head.

You look up and see your son hanging upside down from a tree branch. You sigh a breath of relief.

"Ryu, what did I tell you about climbing these trees? You might fall and get hurt."

Ryu flips off the tree and lands in front of you. "I'm sorry, mama. But I should start training for the hunter exam!"

You wrap your arms around the small boy. "Happy birthday! Let's go inside. Grandma has a lot of presents for you to open."

"Alright! I'm the luckiest boy in the world!" He pulls away from you.

You smile, admiring his innocence as he runs back to the castle.

Later that evening, Ryu sits on the floor playing with his new toys. His face glows with happiness. You watch as he runs to The Lady and wraps his arms around her.

"You're the best, Grandma! Thank you for all my presents. I love you so much."
"And I love you, my little dragon." She squeezes him against her chest.

Life couldn't get any better. You still wish Kurapika was a part of Ryu's life, but you realize you can't change the past. You can only hope for a better future. Your son is safe and happy. That's all that matters to you.

An hour later, you notice Ryu fell asleep on the floor in the middle of his toys. You pick him up, laughing when you see cake frosting on his cheek.

"Off to bed?" The Lady asks you.
"Yes. Thank you for the party."
"It was nothing. I'm just glad Ryu liked his presents."
"You could give this little guy a box of rocks and he'd appreciate it. He loves you so much."

The Lady places her hand over her heart. "You don't know how happy that makes me."

___

The next evening, you walk into the castle after guarding it for the day. Piercing cries echo throughout the walls of the castle.

You run through the lobby and the living room, following the sound. You stop at the kitchen. Your eyes widen at the sight in front of you. You freeze, not believing your eyes.

The Lady holds Ryu's head with force as he flails his arms in the air. The smell of fresh blood fills your nose, a scent you have become too familiar with. Feeling your intestines unwind, you watch as blood pours out of your son's eye sockets.

"Grandma...it hurts! Please...stop!" Ryu shouts. "I want my mama."
"Hold still...we're almost done," says The Lady. She drops a scarlet eye into a glass container.

The Lady ties a bandage around Ryu's head before noticing you standing behind her.
"Oh, you're home early," she says as if it's just another normal evening.

"What the hell did you just do to my son?"

Ryu hears your voice. He jumps off the counter and runs to you. "Mama! I can't see...Grandma had to take my eyes."

You kneel to your son's level, inspecting him. Hot tears fall from your cheeks. You try to steady your breathing. "Why did she do this to you?"

"She said my eyes turned red like the devil and they had to come out."

Your hands shake as you run your fingers through Ryu's hair. "My baby...I'm so sorry this happened to you."

You pick him up and take him to the living room. You place him on one of the wingback chairs. "Listen...I need you to be a good boy and wait here for me. I need to have a word with Grandma."

"Okay, Mama. Will you please give me my dinosaur before you leave?"

"Of course."

You hand him his toy dinosaur. Your heart aches as you watch him play with his toy like nothing ever happened. He roars, pretending to be the dinosaur.

You stomp as you approach The Lady, who is cleaning her fresh pair of scarlet eyes.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you right now!"

She turns around to face you. A sly smile crosses her face. "There's no need to be so violent."

"Why did you scoop my son's eyes out of his head?"

"(Y/N), why didn't you tell me he possessed scarlet eyes?" The Lady asks you, ignoring your question.

You grab her arm. "I didn't know! Now answer my question! I thought you loved Ryu."

"I do love him. He doesn't need his eyes to live."

You tighten your grip on her arm. "Alright. Then how about I scoop yours out right now?" You reach into a drawer and pull out a spoon.

The Lady pushes you away. "Stop it right now! Did you forget who took you in after being left in the woods to die? You owe me your life."

You throw the spoon on the floor. "You're a witch. Ryu and I are leaving. We no longer owe you anything."

The Lady laughs at you. "Oh, yeah? And how do you expect to make a living out there? The wolves will eat you before you make it to the village."

"I'm a dragon. We'll figure it out."

"Right. You're a dragon because of me. Remember that."

You wince, promising yourself never to use your dragon ability again.

You walk back into the living room. You take Ryu's toy dinosaur away and pick him up. "Come on, sweetie. We're leaving."

"But...where? I want to stay here with Grandma and play with my toys."

"I don't know, but we need to leave right away," you say as you walk toward the front door.

Ryu attempts to free himself from your grip. "I want my dinosaur!"

You look back at Ryu's pile of toys. You take a deep breath. Not wanting to take anything that was given to you from The Lady, you tell yourself one toy won't hurt.

You walk back to pick up the toy dinosaur. You glance at The Lady before leaving the castle for good.

"You'll be back," she says.

___

The sun is setting when you leave the castle. Not knowing where you'll sleep tonight, you decide to visit Kurapika's grave.

You kneel in front of the gravesite with Ryu in your arms.

"Mama...where are we?"
"We're visiting your papa."
"My...papa? I have a papa? Where is he? I can't see anything." Ryu frees himself from you and moves his head from left to right. He extends his arms out, hoping to feel Kurapika.
Tears well up in your eyes. "No, sweetheart. Your papa passed away before you were born. This is where his body is resting."

"Oh...he's just resting? When will he wake up? I want to meet him."

You realize you have never talked about death to Ryu before. As intelligent as he is, he doesn't understand the finality of death.

You pull him close to your chest. You find a tree to lean up against for the night. You try your best to explain the concept of death to him.

"I don't want you or Grandma to die," he says.
"No. But a good way to look at it is one day you, me, and your papa will be together," you say, nuzzling his neck.
"In that case, I can't wait!" Ryu yawns. "Mama, I'm cold. Can we go back home now?"

You take your sweater off and wrap it around Ryu. "Just go to sleep. Mama will keep you warm."

You shiver from the cold as you wait for Ryu to fall asleep. Once he is asleep, you carefully lay him down on a pile of leaves. You walk up to Kurapika's grave and fall to your knees. You allow the tears to fall from your cheeks as you talk to him.

"Kurapika, I have failed you again. The Lady not only stole your eyes, but our son's as well. I'm sorry it took me this long to realize she's a terrible person. Because of my stupidity, I'm left without you, a home, or a means to feed our son. You were such a strong person. I wish I was half as strong as you. Please...give me a sign. What should I do now?"

___

Ten years later

Ryu is sitting on the couch listening to his audiobook when you arrive home from work. You take off your shoes and put away your things before walking over to him. You tap him on the shoulder to let him know you're home. He takes his headphones off and smiles at you.

"Hey, mom! I finished all my chores for today. I'm just listening to this great book...I hope you don't mind," he says with the same voice as his father's.

"Of course not. Did you finish your schoolwork?"

Ryu feels for his workbook, which is written in braille. "Yep. It's all done." He hands you his notebook. "Do you need help with anything?"

You look through his schoolwork before handing it back to him. "No, son." You kiss him on the top of his head. "I'm just going to get dinner started."

"Awesome...what are we having?"
"Uh...how about we make a hot pot?" You answer while walking into the kitchen.

Ryu jumps up from the couch. "Yes! Can't wait!"

You smile as you watch your teenage son put his headphones back on to listen to his book. The two of you have been living in this tiny cottage for the past ten years. You make a living selling the flowers from the nearby meadow to a florist in the village. You've made enough money to buy your cottage and get Ryu prosthetic eyes. He has been adjusting well to living without the ability to see. He relies on his other four senses, which have heightened.

When you are finished cooking dinner, you call your son to the table. You pass him a bowl once he sits down.

"Be careful...it's hot," you warn him.
"I know, mom."

You can't help but be protective of him. He's your world.

You notice Ryu is eating in silence. He's usually talkative, telling you about the stories he has read.

"Is everything okay?" you finally ask him.
"Uh...yeah. I...uh...have something to ask you."

You watch as Ryu stands up from his chair. He walks to his desk and feels for a stack of papers. He rifles through the papers until he finds what he's looking for. He takes hesitant steps back to you, swallowing hard while pushing a sheet of paper to you. He presses his lips together, waiting to hear your response.

"What's this?" you ask him. You read the paper when he doesn't respond. Your eyes widen. "Ryu? What's this?" you ask again, raising your voice.
"It's...umm...an application to take the hunter exam. The deadline is coming up and I need your signature since I'm still a minor."
"No," you say, pushing the application away.
"But...mom! That's not fair...you know I want to be a hunter."
"Ryu Kurta...being a hunter is a dangerous job. Especially for someone like you."
"Someone like what?" he asks you.
"Ryu..."

He punches the table, interrupting you. Your jaw drops. You've never seen your son get angry before.

"Mom, I'm tired of you feeling sorry for me. Just because I'm blind doesn't mean I can't be a hunter."
"Son, that's not why I don't want you to be a hunter."
"Then why? Pretend I'm not blind. Would you sign this paper?"

You remain silent.

"Thought so. That's fine. I'll just wait until I turn eighteen. It's only two years away," he says.
"Son, why is this so important to you? What's the rush?"

He sits back down in his chair. You stare into his eyes, which lack the ability to show emotion. He takes a deep breath.

"Mom...I know about my dad. He became a hunter in order to retrieve the scarlet eyes of our clan. My eyes were also stolen from me. I want to finish his quest."

You've never felt more proud of your son; however, the question still remains.

"Ryu? Where did you find this information?"

"I found one of his friends. He didn't even know dad was dead. Isn't that awful?"

You furrow your brow. "Wait...what? How did you find his friend?"

"C'mon, mom. Does that really matter? There's something called the internet," Ryu says. "Anyway, he's nice...a big shot surgeon in the city. He was happy to talk to me. He actually thought I was dad!" He laughs.

You think back to when Kurapika told you about his best friends. You remember him mentioning a good friend who was in medical school.

"I don't like you talking to strangers," you say.
"He's not a stranger, mom. You should talk to him. I know you and dad didn't know each other for very long."
"What else did he tell you about Kurapika?"
"All kinds of stuff. He wants to meet me in person. What'd ya say, mom? Will you take me to the city?"

You hold your chin while you think about Ryu's request. He reaches over the small table to tug at your arm when he doesn't hear you answer.

"Well?" he asks you.
"I guess it wouldn't hurt. Sure, I'll take you."

Ryu jolts out of his seat and walks closer to you. He feels for your face and gives you a kiss on the cheek. Seconds later, he disappears into his room.

You sit alone at the kitchen table thinking about how fast your son is growing up. You knew this day would come. You don't blame him for being curious about his father.

The next Sunday, you wake up to find Ryu making breakfast in the kitchen. He hears you walk in and invites you to sit down at the table. He places a plateful of food in front of you.

"It's a big day, mom! I barely got any sleep last night. What about you?"
"Not much," you say, feeling anxiety in the pit of your stomach.

After breakfast, the two of you walk to the village. You find the nearest bus stop and wait. You notice your son fidgeting with his fingers.

He immediately stands up when he hears the bus approaching. You attempt to guide him onto the bus, but he pushes you aside.

"I got it, mom."

The bus takes the two of you to a big park in the middle of the city. As soon as you step out of the bus, a strong breeze blows in your face. You look back at Ryu. You've never seen him smile so big before. He takes a deep breath.

"What is that amazing smell?"
"It's cherry blossoms," you answer him as the two of you walk to the nearest bench to wait for Kurapika's friend.

Minutes later, a tall man dressed in a navy blue suit approaches you. He stares at your son, tears welling up in his eyes.

"It's you...Kurapika!" he shouts, wrapping his arms around Ryu.

Ryu stands up and allows the man to squeeze him.

"Actually, it's Ryu. Ryu Kurta."
"I know that. You just look so much like Kurapika...it's unbelievable."
"You must be Leorio. It's a pleasure to meet you," Ryu says. He motions toward you. "And this is my mom, (Y/N)."

Leorio extends his arm. You stand up to shake his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. My son says you knew Kurapika well."

Leorio stares at you for a few seconds before responding. "Wow...so you're the girl Kurapika couldn't stop talking about."

Heat rises to your cheeks. "He talked about me?"

"Nonstop. Then he suddenly stopped visiting me. I mean...it wasn't unlike him to ignore my calls so I figured he was okay." Tears stream down his cheeks. "I would have never guessed he died. If you don't mind me asking, how did it happen?"

You swallow hard. "Oh...it was an accident."

"An accident? I find that hard to believe. Kurapika was the strongest guy I knew."

You change the subject. "Anyway...Ryu says you have stories about Kurapika to share with us."

Ryu jumps in the air. "Yeah...I want to know everything!"

Leorio stands in front of Ryu. He looks into Ryu's eyes, noticing they have no expression in them.

Leorio waves his hand in front of Ryu's face. You look down, feeling an ache in your heart.

"He can't see you," you say. "He's blind."

Sweat drops form on Leorio's forehead. "Oh...sorry. He didn't mention that."

The three of you spend the next few hours talking about Kurapika. Ryu smiles the entire time. You squeeze his hand, feeling grateful for this moment.

"Hey, Leorio?" Ryu asks. "Do you think I have what it takes to pass the hunter exam? I plan on taking it next term."

Your heart sinks to your stomach. Knowing Ryu is just as dedicated and stubborn as Kurapika, you're not surprised he brought up the hunter exam.

"If anyone can pass it, it's you. After all, you're Kurapika's son," Leorio answers, grinning from ear to ear.
"I wish my mom shared your confidence. She's afraid I'll get hurt."

Leorio glances in your direction. "Hey, don't be so hard on her. It's only natural for her to feel that way. The hunter exam is no joke."

You mouth the words, thank you to Leorio.

___

Later that evening, you hand Ryu a sheet of paper. He reads it with his fingertips.

"Mom? Is this the application for the hunter exam?"

"Yes. I signed it for you."

He wraps his arms around you, picking you up and spinning you around. "Thank you, mom! I promise...I'm going to pass it and finish dad's quest in finding the scarlet eyes."

He places you back down on your feet. That sinking feeling returns as you think about the location of three pairs of scarlet eyes. Due to the trauma of having his eyes plucked out of his head while awake, Ryu doesn't remember living in the castle with The Lady. Your biggest fear is that he'll one day find out the truth about his father's death.

___

January 7

You prepare Ryu a big breakfast, not knowing when he'll get another opportunity to eat. When he's finished, he grabs his bag and walks to the front door. You stare at him, hoping he'll change his mind.

"Ryu, you be careful out there."

"Don't worry about me, mom. I'll be okay. I promise."

You pull him in for a long hug. "I'll never stop worrying about you. You're my precious baby boy."

He reaches down and wraps his arms around you. "I'm not a baby, mom."

You comb your fingers through his golden hair. "It doesn't matter how old or how tall you are. You're my baby and always will be."

"I love you, mom." He presses his lips against the top of your head.

"And I love you. I hope your father is watching you right now. He'd be so proud."

The corners of Ryu's mouth curve upward. "I hope so, too."

Ryu gives you one last hug before walking out the door.

You watch as Ryu leaves to take the hunter exam. As soon as he is out of view, you close the door. You turn around and lean up against the door, sliding down while allowing tears to fall down your cheeks.

___

You spend the rest of the year constantly worrying about Ryu. Hoping he wrote you one of his braille letters, you run to the mailbox.

You take a deep breath and slump your shoulders when you look inside your empty mailbox. "Maybe his letter got lost in the mail," you say to nobody.

With no one to talk to, you decide to visit Kurapika's grave. Pouring your heart out to him always makes you feel better.

After a full year has passed, you start to think the worst. You're afraid to sleep because of the constant nightmares and sleep paralysis you experience almost every night.

Exhausted from your lack of sleep, you cover your face with a pillow and scream as loud as your lungs will allow. You finally fall asleep after another one of your crying sessions. The sound of a door creaking open awakens you. Your heart pounds in your chest as you walk to the door. You gasp at the sight in front of you.

Ryu walks into the cottage, face bruised. He carefully sets five pairs of scarlet eyes on the floor. He hears your footsteps and smiles. He reaches into his pocket and hands you a card.

You gasp again, covering your mouth when you recognize the logo.

"Ryu...you're a hunter!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

210K 5K 54
I love writing for Kurapika so here we are!! I take requests. All reader insert one shots. Kurapika deserves happiness.
3K 108 17
you can see the title said Kurapika X Reader oneshots. So, basically it's about you have some fun with this Kurta boy. You can request some scenes t...
27.3K 1K 11
๐…๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ฒ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฐ๐ก๐จ๐ฅ๐ž ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž. ๐ˆ๐ญ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž ๐š๐ง๐ ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐ž๐ž, ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๏ฟฝ...
52.4K 674 53
.โ€ใ€‚โ€ข *โ‚Šยฐใ€‚ โ€ยฐใ€‚ Hunter x Hunter .โ€ใ€‚โ€ข *โ‚Šยฐใ€‚ โ€ยฐใ€‚ โ–ก Fanfic โ–  One-shot book ๐”๐๐ƒ๐„๐‘๐€๐†๐„๐ƒ ๐‚๐‡๐€๐‘๐€๐‚๐“๐„๐‘๐’ ๐–๐ˆ๐‹๐‹ ๐๐„ ๐€๐†๐„๐ƒ ๐”๐!! The reade...