It's a Long Way To Dearest Gr...

By ALorenaE

Camila, Luz, Amity, Hunter, Gus, and Willow return to the Boiling Isles to find things are a bit messy. Raine... More

Chapter 1: The Boiling Isles
Chapter 2: Hexside School of Magic and Demonics
Chapter 4: The Owl House
Chapter 5: The First Night
Chapter 6: Breakfast with Eda
Chapter 7: Briefings
Chapter 8: Making Home
Chapter 9: Castle Heist
Chapter 10: Friendship and Insecurity
Chapter 11: Rest
Chapter 12: Gifts
Chapter 13: Looking for Answers
Chapter 14: Notes, Realizations, and Friendship
Chapter 15: Return to Hexside
Chapter 16: The Golden Guard
Chapter 17: More Than Just a Dress
Chapter 18: Weekend Fun
Chapter 19: Meet the Parents
Chapter 20: Things New
Chapter 21: Firsts
Chapter 22: Preparations and Conversations
Chapter 23: The Night Before Everything
Chapter 24: Sacrifice
Chapter 25: Belos
Chapter 26: Endings
Chapter 27: Closure
Chapter 28: Recovery
Chapter 29: Healing
Chapter 30: One Door Opens
Chapter 31: Home

Chapter 3: C.A.T.s Headquarters

246 3 47
By ALorenaE

They land a little ways from the headquarters of Covens Against the Throne; as they approach the door, Hunter seems to be trying to shrink behind Camila.

"Luz?" she asks, "Why don't you knock - they know you and they don't know me. I'll be right here."

Luz nods, glancing back at Hunter, "Yeah, you're right. That makes sense." She knocks on the door and then steps back beside her mother.

A few moments later, the door creeks open, "Can I help-". Raine's words fail as they see who is on the other side, "Oh my Titan, Luz!"

Luz waves, "Yeah - we made it. Willow, Gus, Amity, Hunter...we're all back." She turns gestures to Camila, "And this is my mom, Camila. She came with us."

Raine waves them inside, "Come on in!" They call, "Darius! You need to see this!" They turn back to their guests, "Do you have a place to stay tonight? Are you hungry?"

"Famished," Luz says, "Bump was getting dinner at the school for the others, but we didn't stick around - it's getting late and it's been a long day."

"Are you going to head to Eda's tonight?" Raine asks.

"That's the plan - any reason we shouldn't?"

Raine shakes their head, "No, just keep an eye out for trouble on the road. There's been some bandit activity since things went sideways. They sigh, "Damnit, where is Darius? He's been so worried...."

As if on cue, he steps into the room, "Raine, this had better be importa-". His words fail when he sees Hunter, "Oh thank Titan." He rushes to his young friend and offers a hug, a little awkward.

Hunter nod and steps into it, "Hey, Darius."

"I thought you were dead."

"Kinda wondered the same about you, too," Hunter says as he steps back, Darius' hands still on his shoulders.

"I'll go get you all something to eat," Raine says, smiling, "It won't be anything elaborate, but it'll hold you over until you get to Eda's." They leave the room.

Darius turns to the others, "You all look tired - come, take a seat," he says, leading them to a room with couches and cushions.

"We can't stay too long tonight," Camila says, "We're trying to get to the Owl House before too late. But we appreciate the hospitality."

"It was a long day in the human realm...walked through the woods to get to the Bonesborough, stopped at Hexside, and then ended up here," Luz explains, "And we still need to make it to Eda's."

"You're welcome to stay the night here," Darius offers.

Luz shakes her head, "Thanks, but I really need to see Eda. I need to see she's OK for myself."

He nods, 'I understand." He turns to Hunter, "You're welcome to on your own, too," he offers.

Hunter sighs, "I don't know...."

Seeing the hesitation on his face, Darius hurries to reply, "It's alright if you don't. If you need to stay with Luz and her mother, you're welcome to. I just wanted to make sure you know you're safe here."

Hunter nods, "OK. Yeah. Thanks. I think I need to be with them right now."

Raine comes in with sandwiches and a steaming tea kettle; Darius helps them set the tray down on the low table in the middle of the room with a tentacle of abomination matter, "Thanks." They turn to their guests, "It's not much, but I hope it'll do."

Hunter slides from his seat and inches up to the table, hesitating as he reaches for a sandwich, glancing at Raine, wondering if he should ask permission; they hand him a plate, "Thanks. Got to admit...I'm not really sure how this all works now...."

"What do you mean?" they ask.

"Well...you're the coven heads. I'm just...I don't know. The disposable pawn of the former emperor."

Darius looks confused, "What do you mean by that?"

Raine pours tea and glances at Hunter, "You're his nephew...you aren't disposable."

Hunter laughs ruefully, "No, I absolutely was...am. He's not dead."

"Damn," Darius says under his breath.

"Yeah...same feeling," Hunter replies, "Look, everything I was taught about my family was a lie. It wasn't destroyed by wild magic. The Golden Guards were made for a purpose and he destroyed them...all of them but me, and that wasn't for any lack of trying. I wasn't supposed to survive the Day of Unity, either." He shrugs and sips his tea while Darius and Raine's jaws drop, "But here I am. Guess that makes me stronger than he thought he made me. Or just really lucky."

Camila sets her sandwich down and puts her arm around him, "After what I've seen you go through...you're stronger than he ever could imagine."

Hunter smiles, "Thanks." He sighs as her arm drops and she returns to her supper, "I'm not ready to talk about everything yet. About what I am. Belos' plans for the Golden Guards, the history, any of it. And right now, I need to spend tonight with the closest person to a real parent I've really ever had."

Darius nods, "I understand." He looks to Camila, "Thank you."

"For what?" she asks.

"For whatever you've done for him that he feels this safe with you."

"He's been worried about you this whole time," Raine says, "None of us were good at reaching out to you, but Darius, Eberwolf, and I realized all three of us were always trying to keep an eye on you. No kid should have the kind of responsibility you grew up with."

"I'll admit, I didn't know what to think of you for the longest time," Darius adds, "and you were just handed that title...."

"I know," Hunter interrupts, "I didn't earn it. I remember. But I also know more about the whole Golden Guard thing now and like I said...I don't want to talk about that right now. It........it's hard. And it hurts."

Darius nods, "Alright. Just...remember that the one before you was someone who meant a lot to me. I'd like to know, some day, if knowing would change how I see that loss."

Hunter meets his eyes, "I will. And I promise, I'll tell you. But not tonight. It's been a really really rough day."

Raine refills his tea, "Then sip and rest. We'll escort you to Eda's when you're ready. I'll even let her know you're coming."

"I can do that," Darius says, abomination material forming into a little doll in his hand. He gives it instructions and it speeds out the door, "It'll move pretty quickly."

"So," Luz says, "How've things been while we were gone?"

"Well, we get randomly requested to play with a child-god, our government is in shambles, and several factions have decided to try to carve out territory for themselves across the Isles," Darius answers, "We're trying to keep Bonesborough intact, but there've been some street fights we've had to break up that have disgusted me. In a time when everything is unsteady, I don't want to have to stop people from causing more trouble. I mean, are you serious? Your neighbour disappears, so you have to sack their house and start a fight over who gets to take over their shop? Or steal things from it?"

Raine sighs, "Most people are doing alright, but there are some who are looking for reasons where there just aren't any. Some people are making up stories because they don't want to believe it was Belos trying to kill everyone. There's even a rumour going around that it was wild witches jealous they were left out of the Day of Unity...."

"That's ridiculous," Hunter says, "Wild witches aren't a threat to anyone."

Darius smiles, shaking his head, "Imagine the look that would be on Belos' face if he were to hear you...his own nephew thinking for himself and saying that wild magic isn't the problem."

Hunter tries to force a smile, "Yeah, imagine that...."

"Did I say something wrong?" he asks, hearing the strain in Hunter's voice.

Hunter shakes his head, "No, I just...it has to do with something that happened today in the human realm."

"Want me to tell them or wait?" Luz asks.

"Go ahead," he says, shrugging, "Might as well tell them at least something."

"Not if you don't want me to," she says.

"It's OK. But just a little bit."

"Stop me if I say too much." Both Raine and Darius look increasingly worried as the teens talk. Luz takes a deep breath, "We know Belos isn't dead because a part of him ended up coming through with us. I can't explain more than that. But he's not...normal...anymore. He's a monster. He can change shape. And he can possess things...people."

Neither Raine nor Darius know what to say, both horrified by the implications of what Luz is saying.

Hunter laughs sadly, "So I kinda know what he'd think about it because when I took back control of my body, he was still in there and I told him I wanted leave the Emperor's Coven and study wild magic and go to school with my friends. Let's just say he's not thrilled."

"Oh my Titan," Raine says.

"Hunter nearly died today" Camila says softly, "And that's why it's been a very hard day and we need to get him wherever he's going to feel safest for the night. This isn't just about stopping Belos for the sake of the Isles, or for justice for the Day of Unity."

Darius moves to sit beside Hunter, "I know it might not be much, but I promise you, he won't get away with this."

"I mean, he kinda already has," Hunter says, "What's done is done. I get to live with the scars - physical and mental." He lightly touches his cheek, flinching as he feels the change in his skin.

Darius nods, "That's true, but you've got your family," he tilts his head toward Camila and Luz, "and you can be assured Raine and I will be in your corner every step forward."

"You're not alone, Hunter," Raine says, "What you're dealing with may be unique to you, but we'll be here for you."

He smiles at them, "Thanks. Both of you."

They finish their sandwiches and tea quietly. When they've finished, Camila asks if they're ready to go and both Luz and Hunter nod. Neither teen looks like it will be long before they fall asleep.

Darius conjures his abomination shape and, after saying goodbye to Raine, spirits their guests from Latissa, around Bonesborough, and to the edge of the forest outside of the Owl House.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88 2 6
After moving out and leaving Gravesfield, The Noceda's need to adapt themself to their new home, but it's not going to be easy, after all it's not ev...
870 44 14
Cover by : (myself lol) Luz, Amity and Willow are cops. Hunter, Gus and Matt Tholomule are mobsters. Everyone is over 18. TWs and CWs explained in th...
9.5K 181 14
Raeda fan-fiction ~---~ Raine might have been the worst hurt out of the group of adults who had started the rebellion, but students who studied in th...
5.2K 299 31
The Collector is gone, Belos is dead. The Boiling Isles are reeling from the violent aftermath of the Emperor's onslaught. Darius has taken Hunter in...