Wild Creatures

Par NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. Plus

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 19

1.2K 159 64
Par NebulusCharlie

Wei Ying looks as shocked as Lan Zhan feels.

The knock comes again and Lan Zhan freezes up.

He can't think.

This is why he makes no move to stop Wei Ying as he opens the door, only enough to step outside. He can hear them perfectly well though.

"Let me see my brother." XiChen sounds angry now.

"Hear me out." Wei Ying is placating.

His Xiongzhang must have nodded, because it's Wei Ying who continues to speak.

"So…um, this is unexpected…I don't think Lan Zhan was … is ready to see you yet."

"Who are you?" XiChen demands. There is the threat of violence now.

Lan Zhan can smell the change in the air. And Wei Ying is tense.

Wen Ning stands up from the couch.

Lan Zhan had forgotten he was there.

"What's going on?" Wen Ning asks, quietly standing next to him.

"My brother is outside. Wei Ying is trying to talk to him." Lan Zhan explains.

Without a second thought, Wen Ning steps outside to stand next to Wei Ying, shoulder to shoulder.

Wei Ying won't lie, it feels great to have a stronger, taller friend standing so close to him, the best back up he could wish for. Wen Ning had always been close to him and this loyalty was unconditional.

XiChen's eyes flicker over to the second man, before returning to Wei Ying.

"Are you keeping my brother here against his will?"

Wen Ning laughs, while Wei Ying’s eyes have gone wide with shock.

"No! Why would you think that?" And as always, Wei Ying is a fast thinker. So he adds, "listen, you must have followed us…so you must have seen us come home. Do we really look like a kidnapper and his victim?"

XiChen reluctantly shakes his head after a while.

"So…don't you think…Lan Zhan deserves to decide? If he wants to see you or not?" Wei Ying sounds kinder now.

"But…what if…I really want to see him?" XiChen's voice breaks at the end.

"That's not up to you." Wei Ying is firm.

There's something about Wei Ying in control which makes Lan Zhan shiver. He knows it isn't the right time for him to be thinking about that, but his reaction is sudden and unexpected.

It's something to think about…

"I can call the police." XiChen says.

It sounds hollow, though…as if he's unsure of taking that step.

"You're the one that's trespassing." Wen Ning points out.

He steps forward too, and it's only because of Wei Ying's hand on his shoulder that he stops. But he glowers at the stranger.

"I would imagine the cops would be on our side." Wei Ying sounds amused. "And I'm not above seeing that happen….however, I've got a better idea."

"I could beat him up." Wen Ning offers.

Wei Ying laughs softly. "No need…at least, not yet."

Lan Zhan is very glad they are outside, in between himself and his brother.

"Other than…violence, what are you thinking?" XiChen asks.

"How about we let Lan Zhan decide?" He replies, simply. "If you care about him, you will know that it's the best option."

"Lan Zhan?" XiChen asks. It's almost as if the words have spilled out from his lips without his permission.

Wei Ying blushes. "He told me to call him that." He replies, defensively. "We're gonna go back inside and talk to him. But if Lan Zhan says no, it means no." Wei Ying doesn't wait for a reply; he turns around and returns to the sanctuary of his own apartment.

Wen Ning goes to the kitchen.

Wei Ying stands in front of Lan Zhan, his warm silver eyes search confused golden ones. He takes both of Lan Zhan’s hands in his own hands.

It might seem like a small gesture but to Lan Zhan, it feels incredible. Wei Ying is warm and to him, Wei Ying represents a sanctuary…home. He feels safe and a little bit less vulnerable.

"First of all, you can say no to him. He might be your brother, but you have every right to stand your ground. You can have boundaries and I will support every one." Wei Ying tells him.

Lan Zhan steps forward and hugs him.

"A-Yuan told me you said hugs are good." He says.

Wei Ying wraps his arms around Lan Zhan’s waist and squeezes him lightly.

"They are." He breathes in this curious scent, both tantalising and intoxicating. Sandalwood and something else, equally sweet and spicy.

Lan Zhan feels surrounded by warmth, the light floral scent is clean and addictive; it feels safe. They stand like that for a few moments, until Wei Ying pulls away and takes his hand. He leads him to the couch where they shared their first kiss.

Wei Ying pushes him down and sits as close as possible to him.

"What do you want to do?" He asks, gently.

They both look towards the door, knowing who is on the other side.

"I don't know." Lan Zhan surprises himself. "That's my brother." He adds.

"You don’t have to talk to him if you're not ready." Wei Ying says, tangling their fingers together. His gaze is clear, unbothered and adamant.

Lan Zhan is absolutely sure that, were he to say no, Wei Ying would go out there and support him, and XiChen wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting inside this place. But a part of him feels guilty for suddenly disappearing on his brother. And his family.

He's never done anything like this before.

It feels strange.

And even if he says no right now, isn't he only procrastinating against the inevitable? It's not like he can hide out here forever, in Wei Ying's apartment. Though it sounds incredibly appealing.

"I will have to talk to him eventually." Lan Zhan says, in a resigned manner.

"But the good news is, you get to decide. There's no right or wrong. And didn't you tell him that you needed time? That you were going to contact him when you were ready? If he's impatient…that's on him." Wei Ying reiterated, annoyance seeping into his words. "He should respect your wishes."

"Mn." Lan Zhan sighs. As much as he doesn't want to talk to his brother right now, he thinks he should at least try. Better to get it over with.

There was a knot of tension twisting in his stomach, and he hoped that once he explained things to his brother, it would go away.

"I'll talk to him…if…if you'll stay with me?" Lan Zhan sounds uncertain, even to his own ears.

Wei Ying looks deeply into his eyes. Whatever he sees there, helps him make up his mind, and he gives their hands a warm squeeze before standing up.

"Of course I'll stay with you, Sweetheart. We're a team now." He bends and gives Lan Zhan a kiss on his forehead.

Everything, from the verbal support to the kiss, makes Lan Zhan feel so much better.

"If at any point, you want him to go, just say the word." Wei Ying waits for him to nod, before going to the door.

Wen Ning is suddenly right by his side. Together, they go outside to face XiChen.

"Okay…so he says he'll talk to you. But, if at any time it gets to be too much for him, you have to leave. That's the condition, if you want to come in." Wei Ying told him. "You should know, you're pushing against his boundaries by coming here before he is ready. It's not appreciated."

XiChen had the good grace to look ashamed at that.

Wei Ying sighs.

"Just remember that." He adds, before opening the door.

XiChen follows him inside, Wen Ning coming in behind him.

"I'll stay until he goes." He mouths to Wei Ying, who looks incredibly relieved at that. Wen Ning disappears into A-Yuan's room.

Wei Ying goes to sit right next to Lan Zhan.

But it is Lan Zhan who reaches for his hand.

XiChen sits quietly on the single armchair, not even blinking; that's how much his eyes are thirsting to see his baby brother.

For a few minutes, no one speaks. XiChen is simply drinking him in. He notices how close they are sitting, their joined hands, which he knows the old Lan Zhan would never have tolerated…all of this is new.

"I don't know where to start." Lan Zhan says at last. He's looking down, not letting himself look XiChen in the eye.

"How about the beginning?" Wei Ying suggests. "You haven't done anything wrong, sweetheart." He soothes.

Lan Zhan gives him a quick nod.

It makes sense.

"I was walking to the bar…where Xiongzhang was waiting for me…Thursday night." Lan Zhan says.

This was incredibly hard to do. Wei Ying’s constant presence and warmth was grounding and comfortable. It made Lan Zhan feel braver.

XiChen pulls out his phone and hands it to him.

"I found this…when your call suddenly cut off…I knew something was wrong. I looked for you that night." He admits.

"Lan Zhan was attacked." Wei Ying added. "I found him bleeding out in the alley…not far from where I work."

"Then why didn't you say something?" XiChen demanded, sounding angry now.

"I don't know." Wei Ying shrugs, helplessly. "Call it gut instincts…but I thought it was too soon. Lan Zhan wasn't even awake…"

"Wasn't awake?" XiChen sounds confused.

"I was bitten, Xiongzhang." Lan Zhan quickly interjects.

"Bitten? By what? Have you seen a doctor?" XiChen leans forward, thinking this was just a harmless occurrence.

"By a vampire." Lan Zhan tells him, staring him right in his honey-coloured eyes.

XiChen stares back for a full minute, blank-faced until a sudden harsh laugh bursts out of him. He slaps his thigh.

"You got me good, Didi. You almost had me fooled. I must admit, that's a really good one. I wonder if I can do the same one to MingJue…."

"Xiongzhang…I'm not joking. I know it sounds hard to believe…but it's the truth. There are vampires out there…and I was bitten by one. That's why I couldn't contact you. I've changed…"

Wei Ying could feel how hard it was for Lan Zhan to say those words. He wanted to comfort him…but it was hard because his brother was right there, and Wei Ying briefly wondered how it would go over if he were to climb into Lan Zhan’s lap right now. But his man was hurting and the urge to provide sanctuary was so strong, it left him trembling. It wasn't his place to say anything so he didn’t interrupt but …. Something was happening.

Lan Zhan kept his eyes on his brother, not daring to look away. This was too important for either of them not to take seriously…but Wei Ying was doing something. He wasn't sure what, but it felt as if his beautiful floral scent was covering him, wrapping around him like a warm blanket. Lan Zhan felt protected and safe. He squeezed their joined hands together, acknowledging Wei Ying’s efforts.

And the best thing?

It was actually working.

Lan XiChen had stopped laughing, which was a good sign.

They gave him a few minutes to process, before Lan Zhan spoke again.

"This is the truth. It's not a joke or a prank….my transition finished this morning."

"Transition?" XiChen didn't mean to sound harsh…but everything felt like it was too much.

He was finding it incredibly difficult to believe, and because whatever was happening between the bartender and his brother seemed too sudden, XiChen couldn't help being suspicious of him. He was too cautious by nature to say anything yet, but he felt that he needed to be able to talk to his brother without anyone else present, in order to get to the truth.

"Yes, bodily wise, I have changed. I suppose it is inevitable, but up here as well." Lan Zhan taps the side of his temple.

"I think he's right…you need to tell me everything. Start from the beginning." XiChen says finally.

He settles back and prepares to listen carefully.

Lan Zhan tells him what happened to him, right from the attack to waking up in the alley and having Wei Ying help him into his home. He tells his older brother about his search for the culprit and his fears that there might be other victims out there, and the mystery around the fact that nothing appears to reach the media.

"I can't be the only victim." Lan Zhan insists. His eyes are blazing with a golden anger.

"Hm. It's something to think about. What else have you experienced?" XiChen asks him.

His voice is softer now. His eyes drift over to the now sleeping form of Wei Ying, whose head is resting in Lan Zhan’s lap, peacefully dreaming. He can see how much his baby brother cares for this relative stranger…and the way Lan Zhan’s finger card through his hair so gently…makes him understand a little better.

"You care for him." It wasn't a question on purpose.

"Very much. I love him." Lan Zhan says, again not blinking.

Lan XiChen cannot help the gasp that leaves his mouth.

"But Didi…it's only been three days!" He tries to keep his voice low.

Wei Ying stirs…and Lan Zhan bends to kiss his hair.

XiChen can see how that small action gives the sleeping man a reassurance without words, because he snuggles closer, his face unmarred by the frown of an impending interruption to his slumber.

"Time is of no consequence when we both feel the same way. Wei Ying opened his heart and his home to me…without asking for a single thing in return." Lan Zhan says, and he's proud of Wei Ying's good nature.

"…I don't mean to disregard your feelings…but…how do you know?" XiChen persists. He feels as if this is the only moment Lan Zhan can be candid with him, because they are as alone as they can be.

"In here." Lan Zhan puts a hand on his own heart. "It might seem unrealistic to you….but we both feel the same." XiChen still looks unconvinced, so Lan Zhan tries to think of a way to help him understand better. "Do you love MingJue?" He asks.

"Yes." XiChen replies immediately.

"And how do you know?" Lan Zhan asks him.

"We've been together for years, Didi, it's not the same." XiChen defends himself.

"But if time wasn't a factor…how…why do you think you love him?"

"I don't think it….I know it." XiChen is annoyed but at the same time, realisation dawns on him, on the point Lan Zhan is trying to make. His expression clears immediately.

"See?" Lan Zhan triumphantly sits back.

Now he lets himself look down into the soft features of his lover as Wei Ying sleeps, his beautiful face flushed with the warmth that comes from resting well. Lan Zhan could look at him forever.

"He doesn't seem to have much." XiChen remarks, looking around the sparse apartment.

"He is far richer in another way…far more than you or I." Lan Zhan retorts, annoyed by his brother for unconsciously looking down on Wei Ying’s status.

"I didn't mean that…in that way." XiChen says quickly. "I just…it's not like where we live…that's all."

"Wei Ying is doing the best he can. He works two jobs just to be able to keep this place and his son."

"His son?" XiChen asks sharply, looking around as if a child was going to materialise out of nowhere.

"Yes, the boy was orphaned suddenly, and Wei Ying came forward to be his dad. Not many people would do that." Lan Zhan says proudly. "A-Yuan is the best boy." He adds.

"A-Yuan?" XiChen asks him faintly.

He can't help wondering if this is some sort of a dream…was there something in the tea he drank earlier in Love Bites? Maybe it was induced by something else…he wracks his brain trying to come up with a plausible reason why this is happening to him and his brother. And in a sudden act of violence towards himself, he pinches his skin to feel something, other than the numbing sensation that all of this is horribly true…

"Where is he?" He hears himself asking. It's too surreal.

"A-Yuan is asleep. It's past midnight." Lan Zhan says, as if that's the most normal thing to say, and XiChen is the crazy one for thinking otherwise.

"And when you say…you've changed….can you please tell me clearly?" XiChen reverts back to a topic that seems easier to believe. He would have laughed were it not so blatantly true: he was far more willing to believe that his sweet baby brother was now a fearsome vampire as opposed to being in a relationship with a single father…however wonderful he was.

He even wondered if Wei Ying had done something to Lan Zhan…

"There are changes." Lan Zhan says softly. He's reluctant to clarify…because saying them out loud means making them real…and it might be childish of him to do this, but the delay means hanging onto his old life for as long as he can.

"Such as?" XiChen wants to know.

Lan Zhan wonders if his desire not to see his brother was really avoidance in examining the truth…of his new body. With every word that leaves his lips, he's taking a step away from his old life where everything was familiar and warm.

This new life is full of uncertainty.

But there comes a point in everyone's life when they finally take responsibility for themselves, and Lan Zhan realises that this is his moment. He can wallow in despair, thinking about his old life…or he can learn to embrace the new one.

It's his choice and Lan Zhan chooses that last option.

Immediately, he feels stronger.

"I don't need to sleep any more." He says. "I don't need food any more either, and I'm stronger than before. My reflection…" this is where the confusion starts. He remembers the panic that came through his system like a hurricane, when Wei Ying had brought him a mirror and he saw nothing.

That kind of shock was disturbing.

But then…they had taken pictures…and Lan Zhan didn't understand any more. He's tired.

XiChen yawns suddenly.

"Don't go home." Lan Zhan says, just as quickly.

XiChen feels his ears reddening.

"I don't want to leave you." He admits.

It goes some way to reassuring Lan Zhan…but it's not enough.

"Stay here, Xiongzhang. Please…I don't want anything to happen to you." Lan Zhan feels desperate suddenly.

"Nothing will happen to me." XiChen says, warmly. He's relieved that Lan Zhan still cares about him though.

His statement does absolutely nothing to help Lan Zhan. In that single moment, he understands that any reassurances his brother might have given him in the past, were accepted by an innocent soul who didn't know any better ... .but this Lan Zhan has changed.

This Lan Zhan knows better.

This Lan Zhan is living proof that his Xiongzhang doesn't know any better; those are empty promises.

"Nevertheless, stay here tonight. I will explain to Wei Ying and A-Yuan tomorrow morning." Lan Zhan stands up and carefully cradles Wei Ying to his chest.

He goes to their bedroom and lays Wei Ying in their bed, unsure if changing his clothes will wake the man. But first he grabs an extra blanket from the cupboard and goes back outside to hand it to his brother.

XiChen takes it and puts it down.

Before Lan Zhan can make his escape, XiChen grabs him, folding him into a warm embrace.

"It doesn't matter what changes you've gone through, Didi…you'll always be my baby brother, and I'll always love you. I wish,..I wish I could make this easier for you." XiChen chokes back a sob.

Lan Zhan is shocked by the surprise hug…but his arms come around the familiar warm body, nonetheless.

His brother has always looked out for him…and suddenly, his reticence in talking to him seems unfounded.

"Uncle…" he says, thinking of their stern relative.

"Doesn't need to know…at least for now." XiChen pats his back. "It's a problem for another day. And I'll help you, Didi." He kisses Lan Zhan’s forehead, letting his lips linger. "We can talk more tomorrow."

Lan Zhan leaves him standing there, and goes back to Wei Ying.

Maybe his brother is right; maybe all the problems looming on his horizon are temporary…maybe he doesn't have to deal with them imminently.

He can tackle one thing at a time…and perhaps, it won't be as hard as he thinks it is, right now.

One thing he knows for sure though, is that he can add XiChen to his list of supporters.

And that is indeed a plus point.

*************

A/N

Dear Fabulous Readers,

Thank you for your patience with me, and your lovely messages. You're all so kind to me, and I know I must look after myself first before anything else.

That's mainly the reason why this chapter took two days to be written, and I hope you enjoy it.

Slowly getting back into the groove.

Charlie.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

143K 4.8K 11
a modaozushi fanfic about lan zhan and wei ying's life after they become cultivational partners. there seems to be more that happened after weiying's...
14.5K 2K 72
Wei Ying and Lan Zhan must step up to the new challenge that awaits them when they find something that was given to them in secret. What is it, and w...
75.3K 5.3K 37
Wei Ying is a mortal who saved a man called Lan Huan and with whom he fell in love with. Lan Huan too fell in love with Wei Ying at first sight. What...
309K 19.5K 33
A blood-thirsting encounter with a vampire alpha prince. Wei Wuxian was living a normal life as an omega then, poof! His life turned into unexpected...