๐’๐๐€๐‘๐‘๐Ž๐– เผ„ แด˜ercy แดŠแด€แด„แด‹๊œฑ...

ุจูˆุงุณุทุฉ alinasplanet

"๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘”๐‘œ๐‘‘๐‘  ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ฃ๐‘ฆ ๐‘ข๐‘ . ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ฃ๐‘ฆ ๐‘ข๐‘  ๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘ค๐‘’'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘™, ๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘Ž... ุงู„ู…ุฒูŠุฏ

author notes!
characters!
SPARROW
middle school dances are life-threatening
girl scouts to the rescue
we discuss the great stir pot
i crash into canoes and listen to haikus
rapunzel gives me a tour
daisies laugh at me
kai and i stalk a ping pong table
breaking news: girl dies from rickety chair
we become allies (or more than strangers)
my exemplary disguise skills are revealed
lions say no to space food
demigods hate taylor swift
new mexico kills
sledding on a shield is fun (lie)
my future is foretold (pain)
we find that toes are deadly (literally)
grover realises the rest of us aren't goats
airy statues and awkward silence
even the cows can kill
dragons and their stinky breath
into the belly of the beast
mysteries and minds unravelled
does my life have value? discuss.
save the last dance?
INTERLUDE
THE MOUNTAINS PROMISE
The Big D (epression)
i get drooled on

i fall off some ugly rocks

419 12 4
ุจูˆุงุณุทุฉ alinasplanet

That night, after dinner, I was so prepared for this game. After the talk, Kai told me all about capture the flag, telling me he used to play it the school two before Westover. I told him I didn't think the two were comparable.

We would be using literal swords, and arrows, and daggers. He probably just shoved and yanked ten-year-olds hair in his attempt to win.

Connor told the both of us it was only a small game, with only 15 roughly on both sides.

However, whilst the campers were enlivened and pumped up, the hunters were the opposite. Unlike last night, they weren't laughing or joking around. They just huddled together in the dining pavilion, whispering nervously to each other as they strapped on their armor. Some of them even looked like they'd been crying. Even Bianca was frowning to herself, worry clear in her features. A part of me wanted to see if she was okay, only because we still had a shared connection through Westover. She turned to another hunter though, whispering under her breath and I turned away.

"I'll show them 'love is worthless,'" Silena muttered to herself near me, strapping on her armor. "I'll pulverize them!"

Percy and Thalia were also somewhat close to me, so I was able to eavesdrop their conversation with ease.

"I'll take the offense," Thalia told him. "You take defense."

"Oh." His reply was short and stilted. It was obvious he hated that plan, "Don't you think with your shield and all, you'd be better defense?"

"Well, I was thinking it would make better offense," Thalia said. "Besides, you've had more practice at defense."

"Yeah," he gritted, a fake smile on his face. "No problem,"

"Cool." She left and he stood there for a few moments.

I nudged his shoulder, "Not a fan of defence, I'm guessing?"

He jumped slightly, "Not at all. My first time here, I was defense and was attacked by hellhounds and maimed by electric spears."

My smile fell, "What?"

"Don't worry, I doubt anything like that will happen tonight," he glanced towards the hunters, "Maybe."

"Reassuring." I drawled.

He glanced down at my armour. "You did it wrong. This is supposed to be strapped to this." He said, reaching out to do it himself.

He tugged on a strap, pulling me closer to him accidentally. A light blush appeared on his face, and I wondered why how he felt cold in this warm weather, even with his armour on.

"Thanks, Percy."

He looked back up at me, about to say something when Nico ran over, a grin splitting his face in half.

"Percy, Nai, this is awesome!" His blue-feathered bronze helmet was falling in his eyes, and his breastplate was about six sizes too big. He looked adorable. Looking at him, I couldn't help but remember Hades message from last night, telling me to look after Nico and Bianca both.

Nico lifted his sword with effort. "Do we get to kill the other team?" He sounded a bit too eager.

"Well... no." Percy replied, frowning. I turned away to hide my grin.

"But the Hunters are immortal, right?"

"That's only if they don't fall in battle. Besides-"

"It would be awesome if we just, like, resurrected as soon as we were killed, so we could keep fighting, and-"

"Nico, this is serious. Real swords. These can hurt."

He stared at Percy, a little disappointed, and a flicker of guilt came on Percy's face. He patted Nico on the shoulder, "Hey, it's cool. Just follow the team. Stay out of Zoë's way. We'll have a blast."

Chiron's hoof thundered on the pavilion floor, breaking everyone out of their conversations.

"Heroes!" he called. "You know the rules! The creek is the boundary line. Blue team - Camp Half-Blood -" Campers cheered rowdily, and Chiron had to pause as they finished. "-Shall take the west woods. Red team - the hunters - shall take the east woods. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. No intentional maiming, please! All magic items are allowed. To your positions!"

"Sweet," Nico whispered next to me. "What kind of magic items? Do I get one?"

I pat his head, softly. "I'm sure you'll get one soon. Just be patient."

"Blue team! Follow me!" Thalia yelled, and we all cheered and ran after her. Percy took the rear, following behind and and making sure no-one strays.

He nudged me as we gathered around a cluster of boulders named Zeus' fist. It didn't really look like a fist, though I didn't muse on it long. "Guard duty. Make sure the hunters don't get our flag, yeah?" Percy said, and I nodded.

"We'll send out a decoy to the left," Thalia told the team. "Silena, you lead that."

"Got it!" She replied, adjusting a spear in her hand.

"Take Laurel, Kai and Jason. They're okay runners. Make a wide arc around the Hunters, attract as many as you can. I'll take the main raiding party around to the right and catch them by surprise."

Everybody nodded. Thalia said it with such confidence I was positive it'd work. The only flaw I could think of, was the fact that Kai - although lanky and skinny, was an awful runner.

Thalia looked at Percy. "Anything to add?"

"Um, yeah. Keep sharp on defense. We've got four guards, two scouts. That's not much for a big forest. I'll be roving. Yell if you need help."

"And don't leave your post!" Thalia said.

"Unless you see a golden opportunity," He added.

Thalia scowled. "Just don't leave your post."

"Right, unless-"

"Percy!" she touched his arm and must have given him an electric shock because he shook a bit. Kind of vibrated. I didn't even think humans could vibrate, but I guess we are half god after all.

"Sorry," Thalia said, though she didn't sound particularly sorry. Percy was staring at where she had shocked him in disbelief. "Now, is everybody clear?"

Everybody nodded. We broke into our smaller groups. The horn sounded, and the game began.

Silena's group disappeared into the woods on the left. Thalia's group gave it a few seconds, then darted off toward the right.

I waited for something to happen. Percy climbed Zeus's Fist to have a good view over the forest. I rocked on the balls of my feet, wondering whether he'd be okay with me joining. From where I was standing, I wouldn't be able to do a very good job of guarding anyway, since all I could see was a wall of trees, much too small for any hunter to pass through.

I waited another moment, before heading to the rock, climbing up with the footholds provided. Percy nodded at me as I reached the top, before looking back at the forest frowning.

I caught a glimpse of Silena and her three scouts, one of them being Kai. They ran through a clearing, followed by five of the Hunters, leading them deep into the woods and away from Thalia. The plan seemed to be working.

Then I spotted another clump of Hunters heading to the right, bows ready. They must've spotted Thalia.

Percy was frowning, and seemed to be in deep thought as he saw the same things. Then his eyes lit up as if he had a plan.

"What's happening?" Nico demanded, trying to climb up.

Percy looked at Beckendorf. "Can you guys hold the fort?"

Beckendorf snorted. "Of course."

I winced. I wasn't as sure as he was. These hunters were still pretty hardcore. They'd beat us all to a pulp, easy.

"I'm going in."

The Stoll brothers and Nico cheered as Percy raced toward the boundary line.

I watched him run into the woods, a clear path towards their flag. I watched as the guard for their flag didn't even see him. I saw him run into said guard (Bianca) and knock her to the ground, grabbing the flag. I watched, and listened as Bianca yelled in frustration to warn the others. I watche-

ZIP. A silvery cord raced across my ankles, winding around my legs. I cursed loudly as I tumbled over, falling off the rocks onto the snow and a patch of lily's.

"Oh, you've got to be joking, "I hissed, as Zoë jumped to the top and grabbed our flag making a beeline for her end of the forest.

I wiggled in the body bind, trying to get out. It was no use. I was stuck. How fantastic. First day here, and I've already messed up.

I could hear Connor and Travis fighting some hunters (and losing by the sound of it), and Nico and Beckendorf running after Zoë.

Also losing by the sound of it.

After a minute or two, hooves clipped near me and I looked up into Chiron's sympathetic face. Connor and Travis were on his back, Connor with two arrows sticking out his helmet, and Travis' helmet was dented.

"Hey, guys- you're a horse?!" I exclaimed, noticing the hooves were his.

"My dear, I am a centaur."

"What?" I responded.

"Perhaps if you hadn't skipped your first greek mythology lesson, you'd know, my dear."

I dropped my head guiltily (hard to do when you're lying on the ground, limbs tied together, but I managed).

Chiron just smiled and nodded and a moment later, I was freed. I got shakily to my feet, but I noticed Chiron hadn't moved. He was staring at the patch of ground I had just been. I looked down too, but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Some snow that had melted, and a few lilies. 

I didn't get the chance to ask, as cheering suddenly came from the creek and we Chiron's head shot up, immediately heading for where the noise was coming from. I followed quickly, pushing through the hedges and bushes in my way.

We reached a clearing, where on one side the hunters were gathered, cheering and clapping each other on the backs. On my other side, the camp was staring at the floor gloomily or staring at Percy angrily. I bit my lip. Everyone was told to not abandon their posts.

"The Hunters win!" Chiron announced without pleasure. Then he muttered, "For the fifty-sixth time in a row."

"Perseus Jackson!" Thalia yelled, storming toward Percy. He had been inches from our side. Inches from winning.

Even from a distance, Thalia absolutely stank like rotten eggs, but she still looked terrifying. She was so mad that blue sparks flickered on her armor. Everybody cringed and backed up because of her shield. Percy just stared back, just as angry.

"What in the name of the gods were you THINKING?" she bellowed.

"I got the flag, Thalia!" He shook it in her face. "I saw a chance and I took it!"

"I WAS AT THEIR BASE!" Thalia yelled. "But the flag was gone. If you hadn't butted in, we would've won."

"You had too many on you!"

"Oh, so it's my fault?!"

"I didn't say that!"

"Argh!" Thalia pushed him, and he flew ten feet backwards into the water. I gasped. Some of the others gasped too. A couple of the Hunters stifled laughs. It really felt like something from a movie.

"Sorry!" Thalia said, turning pale. "I didn't mean to-"

A wave erupted from the creek, blasting into Thalia's face and dousing her from head to toe.

He stood up, a glowering expression on his face. "Yeah," he growled. "I didn't mean to, either."

He had water powers?

Thalia was breathing heavily.

"Oh shit," One of the Stolls whispered.

"Enough!" Chiron ordered.

But Thalia held out her spear. "You want some, Seaweed Brain?"

"Bring it on, Pinecone Face!"

He raised Riptide, but before he could do anything, Thalia yelled, and a blast of lightning came down from the sky, hit her spear like a lightning rod, before shooting into his chest.

He immediately collapsed onto the ground. There was a burning smell; for my own mental health, I assumed it was his clothes and not his skin.

"Thalia!" Chiron said. "That is enough!"

For Percy it wasn't. He got to his feet, a fearsome expression on his face, as water from the creek began to swirl up, hundreds of gallons of cold, icy water, that was threatening to crash right upon Thalia. There was something rather majestic about it all. If I was a painter, I'd paint it. I'm not though, so I just stood back and watched with the others.

"Percy!" Chiron pleaded.

Then Percy froze. But he wasn't staring at Thalia or Chiron or even Zoë, who had won in his place. Rather, he was staring in shock at -

I didn't know what it was but it was fucking terrifying.

It had a sunken face with skin that looked moments away from decaying permanently into a skull. It was a corpse in a tattered dress.

It was horrifying.

It walked sluggishly and tilted as green mist curled around it's steps, spreading to it's surroundings.

"This is impossible," Chiron said. "It... she has never left the attic. Never."

The withered mummy shuffled forward until she stood in the center of the group. Mist curled around our feet, turning the snow a sickly shade of green.

None of us dared move. Then her voice hissed inside my head. Apparently everyone could hear it, because several clutched their hands over the ears.

I am the sprit of Delphi, the voice said. Speaker of the prophecies of Phoebus Apollo, slayer of the mighty Python.

The Oracle regarded Percy with its cold, dead eyes. Then she turned unmistakably toward Zoë Nightshade, but as she turned, I could've sworn she looked at me.

Approach, Seeker, and ask.

Zoë swallowed. "What must I do to help my goddess?"

The Oracle's mouth opened, and green mist poured out. I saw the vague image of a mountain, and a girl standing at the barren peak. It was Artemis, but she was wrapped in chains, fettered to the rocks. She was kneeling, her hands raised as if to fend off an attacker, and it looked like she was in pain. It was a weird thing to see, a literal goddess in pain and on her knees. When I first met her she had radiated power - now I was seeing her without. The Oracle spoke:

Six shall go west to the goddess in chains,
One shall be lost in the land without rain,
The bane of Olympus shows the trail,
Campers and Hunters combined prevail,
The kore's child will fight to protect,
To remember her enemies, she must not forget
The Titan's curse must two withstand,
And one shall perish by a parent's hand.

T

Then, as we were watching, the mist swirled and retreated like a great green serpent into the mummy's mouth. The Oracle sat down on a rock and became as still as if she had been sitting by this creek for a thousand years.

I recalled Hades' words.

"Finally, I want you to know that in a few days, a girl will be given a quest. You must go. Nobody will choose you but you must find out a way to go along. It's imperative."

After the oracle debacle, Percy and Grover had been voted by the campers to take her back to the attic. I think people blamed the two for the loss of the game. Or just Percy.

I kind of wanted to go too, if only to see the cool artifacts in the attic, but I needed to know more about the quest. Hades had told me it was imperative for me to go.

What reason did I have to distrust a god?

Kai must've seen something off in my expression or something, because as I was trying to (subtlety) stalk Zoë and Chiron from behind a bush, who were talking to each other quietly but rapidly, he cornered me.

"What are you doing?" He stared down at me.

"I don't know what you mean." I told him, crouching further behind the bush, and staring back at the two in heavy discussion.

"Why are we stalking Zoë and Chiron?"

"They have information that we want."

"Such as?" He wasn't going to let this go.

I sighed, pulling him down by his collar so he was also behind the bush, "You aren't gonna believe me, but I had a dream from Hades - the dead god - and he told me I need to go on this quest."

He stared at me blankly, "You're right. I don't believe you."

I rolled my eyes and yanked on his ear, letting him hiss in pain, before turning back to Zoë and Chiron.

"....not let My Lady suffer any longer! We leave..."

"....Zoë, I understand..... but you must know..... fine... We shall have a cabin counsellor meeting..."

".. it must..now..."

"....yes, I will send for the others. Artemis will be fine. She is a formidable hunter and fighter. I have faith in her. You should too." He trotted away before Zoë could reply.

I pulled Kai further into the bush as Chiron came past. He paused near us, as if he knew that we were there and I could have sworn he looked directly in our direction, just for a moment. But then he moved on.

"Come on," I whispered to Kai, "We need to find their meeting room."

ูˆุงุตู„ ุงู„ู‚ุฑุงุกุฉ

ุณุชุนุฌุจูƒ ุฃูŠุถุงู‹

38.6K 1.6K 34
๐ŸŒท "We're Greek, Percy. We're all born with tragedy in our blood. It's those who learn to accept it and stay true to themselves who are heroes." Th...
14.1K 447 25
"You're acting like your only two choices are to die now or pick the wrong side later." "But what if it is?" _ Six months have come and gone...
121K 4.3K 25
"๐ก๐ž ๐ฌ๐ญ๐š๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ ๐š๐ญ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฅ๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ." amidst the increasing difficulty to sleep, the constant plaguing creat...
318 39 5
๐‘ถ๐‘ช๐‘ฌ๐‘จ๐‘ต ๐‘ฌ๐’€๐‘ฌ๐‘บ! โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ธ, ๐—ธ๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ถ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ต ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—น๐—ณ-๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ฑ. ๐˜€๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜€๐—ผ ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐˜„...