silent

By islaholland

Amalia Romano is a selective mute. After years of enduring abuse from her step father, who has ridiculed and... More

characters
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
epilogue
SERIES INFORMATION
RELEASES

32

54K 1.7K 371
By islaholland

• XANDER •

I fucking hate that stupid dog.

• AMALIA •

My dad comes out after half an hour. I'm wiping the desk in my greenhouse down with a wipe when he opens the door, a small smile on his face as he steps inside.

     "Hi, baby. I'm sorry about that." He says quietly. My eyes water. While I was working on growing flowers and plants, I forgot he was leaving. But now I remember again, when that is the last thing I want to do. "Are you okay?"

     I nod as I press a label onto one of the plant pots. PETUNIA.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

I nod again, keeping my eyes glued to what I'm doing. I glance at Petal, asleep on the chair, before getting back to organising seeds.

"Okay." His smile brightens. "Good. Do you wanna come in soon and start getting ready for bed?"

     I shrug. In the reflection of the glass in front of me, I see him tilt his head. "Alright. Do you want me to go inside?"

     I shrug again.

     He sighs softly. "Amalia," he says, "if you're upset, I want you to tell me. I can try help you."

     I shake my head, setting my notebook into the compartment I made for it. He stands and watches me for a few more seconds before speaking again.

"I'm proud of you." He says. I furrow my eyebrows, but don't look at him. "For talking over the past few days. I wanted you to know that." He adds swiftly. Softly.

I give him a thumbs up and walk over to Petal, scooping her up off the chair.

"Are you going back inside?"

I nod, opening the greenhouse door before walking back over to the house. I don't wait for him as I rush back inside, past Mason and Xander, who only look at me as I power-walk.

I knew I shouldn't have gotten attached. What if he doesn't come back? What if, on his trip, he realises how nice a life free of me is, and decides not to return?

I make my way up to my room quickly.

The next morning, once I've woken up and eaten breakfast, my dad drives Cole, Grayson and I to school. The former walks me to form like he has every morning so far, and the remainder of the day goes smoothly. I stay at the back of the class for most lessons, with Gracie or Adam, and nobody cares that I'm here—which is good.

When the bell signalling it's the end of the day rings, my phone dings with a text. I pull it out of my pocket as I begin to walk downstairs.

DAD: I won't be able to pick you up today, sweetheart. Grayson and Cole have football practice, so could you go to the football pitch outside and wait for them to be done?

A moment later, a message from Cole comes through.

COLE: Come 2 football pitch.

I sigh. I wanted to go home. I left Petal with Mason, who was half asleep when I gave him the note asking if he'd be able to take care of her while I was at school. He murmured a yes and had me set her next to him. I figured that, since he got her for me, he'd be the best choice as a babysitter, but I'm beginning to doubt that. Perhaps I'll begin leaving her in Elijah's care instead.

But I can't go home, at least not right away, so I walk to the football pitch outside, where Grayson is waiting with our cousins: Emilio and Estelle. The latter smiles at me as I make my way over to them, while Grayson wraps me in a side hug.

     "You can sit with Estelle, okay?" He questions. I nod. He smiles. "Alright. Good, go on."

     I follow Estelle up the set of upward benches. She sits on the back one, which is the highest, so I slide in next to her and lean back, pulling out some homework that I got. I might as well do it now, since I have the time.

When two hours are finally up, Grayson, Cole, Emilio and another boy I don't know walk over. I let out a small exhale of relief. Estelle has spoken to me a few times, but she's been on her phone and I've been doing homework—primarily art.

     Grayson walks up the steps. After two hours of running around and kicking a stupid ball, he doesn't seem out of breath. "Come on, let's go." He says.

     I shove my sketchbook into my bag before putting all of my worn down pencils into my pencil case and setting it inside afterwards. I think I'll order some new ones soon.

     I stand up, throwing my bag onto my shoulders, and follow Grayson down the steps and over to Cole, who doesn't say anything before walking out of the football field, toward the car park. When I see my dads car, I quicken my pace and open the door, climbing into the back seat as Cole gets into the other one.

     Within a few moments, my dad is pulling out of the car park. He talks, but I don't hear him since I'm putting my earphones in, turning on some music.

     We get home quickly. I get out of the car and walk over to the front door, opening it and walking inside, not waiting for anyone. I walk into the living room to see Mason sitting on the couch, Petal on his lap on her back, exposing her stomach. Mason scrolls through his phone while idly rubbing Petals belly. He looks up at me after a second.

     "Hey, Amalia." He says. Petal turns over and stands up, tail wagging. I wave at Mason and quickly lift Petal up, excited to see her after being away from her for the entire day. She licks my face, tail wagging furiously, and I kiss the top of her head before sitting down next to my brother on the couch and putting my puppy on my lap. She runs up my stomach, up my chest, so she can lick my cheek again. I giggle as I pet her.

     My dad walks into the living room a minute later, smiling at Mason and I before coming over to me. He kisses my forehead.

     "Did you have a good day at school?" He asks.

     "It was okay." I say quietly. I see him grin from the corner of my eye as I stroke Petals tummy. Mason looks at me for a few moments before averting his gaze.

     "That's good." He says softly. "I'll go start making dinner."

     I nod and grab the dog toy off the couch, which was next to Mason. Was he playing with her while I was gone? That's nice of him. I want her to like my brothers, too, since when I'm at school they'll probably be the ones to take care of Petal, since my dad is likely going to be busy. He's always busy.

• LORENZO •

A couple hours after dinner, I'm packing my stuff into a suitcase when there's a knock at my door. I look over—since it's open—and smile when I see Amalia, holding a tall glass of water.

     She waves at me. My heart warms.

     "Hi, baby." I say. "You okay?"

     She nods and walks over to me, passing me the glass of water. My smile widens. I wrap my arm around her shoulders in a side hug and plant a kiss in her hair. "Thank you, sweetheart. Do you wanna help me pack my stuff?"

    I just want to spend as much time with her as I can.

     Tentatively, she nods again.

     "Alright. I'll be back in a second, I just need to get something from my study." I say. I walk out of the room, down to my office, and grab what I need from it quickly before returning upstairs. I pause in the doorway of my room—unsure wether to be amused or puzzled.

     Amalia throws stuff out of my suitcase, littering it all over the floor. I furrow my eyebrows, my lips tilting up at the corners. She has no idea I'm watching her, but I don't think she'd care if she did know.

     She glances behind her and pauses, biting her bottom lip nervously as she drops the shirt she was holding back into the suitcase.

     She smiles innocently at me.

     "Amalia," I say slowly, "what're you doing?"

     She looks around the room, like an answer is going to jump out of the floor, before nervously returning her gaze to me, her eyes glassy. My expression softens as her eyes fill with tears. I walk over to her and wrap her up in my arms wordlessly as it all begins to make sense.

     "I w-wanted to take it all o-out so I could stay—stay in here l-longer. I'm sorry." She mumbles, stuttering on every other word. I hold her tighter. My baby.

     Despite everything, pride takes over. That's a whole two sentences she just said, and a week ago she was too scared to say even one. I kiss her cheek.

     "It's okay, darling." I whisper in what I hope is a reassuring voice. I can feel silent tears soaking into the bottom of my shirt.

     I didn't realise she'd react so badly to me going away for a couple days, but it's breaking my heart.

"Do you wanna stay with me tonight?" I ask. "We can go get breakfast in the morning before I leave." I suggest. I was supposed to go in the evening, but it got changed so now I need to leave at half one.

She nods hastily. I smile, thankful.

"Alright. Let's get my stuff back in the suitcase first though, yeah?"

She nods once again. I squeeze her before pulling away, plastering a happy smile onto my face. For the next half an hour, she helps me fold things to put in the suitcase, organising it in a way I never would have thought to, allowing me to have more space. After we're done, I zip it up and set it in my study.

     "Why don't you go get Petal and bring her in here, and we can watch a movie?" I question. She nods and walks out the room quickly, returning a minute or so later with Petal in her arms.

     I smile and turn the TV on. She rushes over and sets Petal down before climbing under the covers next to me, shuffling over to me. I kiss her cheek. "What do you want to watch, baby?" I ask.

     She turns a chick flick on and snuggles up to me. I wrap an arm around her shoulder as she leans her head on my chest. Petal climbs onto my lap, and I pet her with my free hand before continuing to cuddle my little girl.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 4.9K 71
The sequel to book Lissy Romano. Everyone remembers fourteen years old Lissy Romano and her brothers. Now she's sixteen years old and she has difficu...
908K 23.6K 34
Gabriella Bianchi is a girl who was taken away from her five brothers, mom and dad at the young age of five. Now, nine years later, she is living wit...
64.4K 1.5K 29
15 year old Estella never expected her to flip upside down in a span of few weeks . The unexpected death of her foster parents Getting a positive p...
3.9M 106K 63
4 Mafia Families. 5 Overprotective Brothers. 1 Little Princess. A Tale of Revenge. Ava DeLuca, only daughter of the Capo dei Capi (Godfather) of the...