Love in the Dark

By Peach_fantaaa

Dallas is a rambunctious, sassy human who loves getting into fights and talking back. When he starts attendin... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Announcement!
Sneak peak at book 2
Announcement!
Fanart

Chapter 17

83 6 0
By Peach_fantaaa

Dallas

I called Nick three days later. I had been crashing on Missy's couch for long enough, and I felt it was finally time to talk to him. I already had the things I was going to say planned out, and the questions I was going to ask were fresh in my mind as I dialed his number.

He picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?" He asked, his voice concerned. "Are you okay? Are you safe? Where are you?"

My heart warmed at the worry, but I pushed down the feeling. Right now, I needed to keep a level head.

"I'm safe. i've been staying with Missy for the past few days. I'm okay. I have some questions that I want to be answered before I move back in." I kept my voice clipped and my words direct. I didn't want him to think I had forgiven him completely yet—I hadn't.

"Anything you want, I'll answer anything you ask," Nick said quickly, without hesitation.

Damn, he was really desperate, wasn't he? I felt kind of bad about keeping him in the dark for so long, but he deserved it for keeping me in the dark.

"My first question. Have you ever killed a human?" I asked. His answer was immediate.

"No."

"Have you ever killed a werewolf?"

This time, it took him a moment to answer. "Yes."

"How does the whole...changing thing happen?" It wasn't that important, but my curiosity won out.

Nick breathed a sigh. I guess it was an easy question for him. "When we turn fifteen, we have our first change. It's the most painful, and it takes us the longest to figure out how to turn back into a human. It's kind of like deciding to put on clothes. You just tell your body what to do, and it does it."

Interesting. I moved on to my next question. "Why didn't you tell me this before I moved in?"

Nick doesn't answer. I hear the buzz of the phone for a few minutes and assume he's formulating an answer. When he finally speaks, his words are full of regret. "I didn't want to scare you. It's also a very big secret, and we don't tell anyone that we don't trust completely. I put the entire pack at risk by telling you, so I'm begging you; please don't tell anyone about us. If the authorities find out, it'll cause another witch hunt."

I wasn't planning on telling anyone anyway. I knew that Nick had trusted me with the biggest secret of his life, and I wasn't going to betray his trust like that.

"I promise," I said, "I won't tell anyone."

He lets out a sigh, and I can feel the relief through the phone. "Thank you."

"But," I held up a finger even though I knew he couldn't see me, "I'm not going to be in the dark anymore. You tell me the truth, all the time, and the whole truth. That is the deal I'm making to move back in."

Nick said yes immediately. He didn't hesitate like I thought he would, he didn't pause to even consider it. Which led me to believe that he had already decided that on his own. For some reason, the fact that he had already decided to tell me the truth made me feel warm and fuzzy.

What a god-awful thing. Ew.

Shaking myself to get rid of that disgusting feeling, I said goodbye to Nick and hung up the phone. Then, I texted him.

I'll be home tonight, My text read.

Want me to pick you up? He texted back.

Sure, I replied. He texted a time, and I told him I would be waiting for him. Then, I went to Missy and told her that I would be leaving her house.

She was sad that I was leaving, but I could tell that she had grown tired of me. Or, at least, of someone constantly being in the house. I wasn't upset. I understood that friends—even close friends—needed their own space and that I was invading hers. She made sure I knew that it wasn't about me, it was just about her liking being alone. I appreciate her telling me that so I didn't overthink.

Then, I gathered my stuff—which was absolutely nothing—and waited by the front door for Nick.

---------------------------------------------

The car was absolutely silent. It wasn't a tense or awkward silence, just silence.

Honestly, it was kind of nice. I liked sitting silently in the company of another. It made me feel not alone, but still gave me room for my thoughts. Nick's presence calmed me and kept my bad thoughts under control for some reason.

Suddenly, Nick broke the silence. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" I asked, unsure what he was referring to.

"Well, everything. Do you really not have any more questions?" Nick asked, glancing over at me. I raised my eyebrow.

"Do you want me to have more questions?" Now we were just asking questions back and forth, neither of us answering the other.

"Well, I don't know. I guess it would make sense for you to have more, but if you don't, that's okay too." Nick sounded very unsure.

It was kind of funny to watch him squirm for once. There was something about the way that he was so confused and worried about how I would react that I found it a little adorable.

What the hell? No, not adorable. I found it...I found it...well, I didn't have a word for it. Which was fine; not everything needed a label.

"I do have a few questions for you, but I can ask them later," I told him. He glances over at me, so fast that I almost miss it. I wonder if he's been doing that the whole time, just to make sure that I'm still here. I can't say I understand his weird obsession with me, but I can say that, for some reason, I actually like being fussed over.

We arrive at the Pack House—nope, still weird calling it that—around the afternoon. Just in time for lunch.

Just as I suspected, when we stepped inside the door, all of the eyes turned to us. And there were a lot of eyes. It was half of the house down here in the kitchen, walking through the buffet line of food. This was the second time I had seen so many of the residents of the house in one place, and it was still strange for me. There were just so many of them.

"They're staring at us," I whispered to Nick from the side of my mouth.

He grinned down at me. "We have superhuman hearing, by the way."

"Oh." I had not known that. It explained why smiles had wound their way onto everyone's faces. Now, my face heated. Of course, they had a superhuman hearing. It was just my luck.

"Are you hungry?" Nick asked me. My stomach growled. "I'll take that as a yes."

I smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, I'm starving."

He grabbed my wrist, sending electric shocks through my where our skin was touching, and dragged me toward the end of the line. It took us five minutes to even get our plates, and even longer to get out food, but it was so worth it.

The food was amazing. Whoever had cooked this was truly an angel sent from heaven, gifted with the holy recipes. I loved them.

I know I was moaning from how good it tasted, but I couldn't help myself. It was just amazing. Nick kept sending me a weird heated look, but I kept ignoring it all throughout lunch. When I was finished, I licked the crumbs off my plate and stood. Going into the kitchen, I skirted around the people lounging about, talking, and began washing my plate in the sink.

Nick appeared at my shoulder. "We have people for that. You don't have to wash your own plate."

"I would prefer to. It makes me feel like I'm doing something to help around here. I swear I feel like the laziest and worst Tennant ever. I don't pay rent, I don't have to clean or cook. Please, I'm begging you, put me to work." I say all this while still washing my dish. When it's sparking clean, I take the towel from the hood above the sink and dry it off. Placing it back in the cabinet, I turn to Nick. "I'm begging you."

"While I do like begging," He said lowly, "I'm afraid there's nothing for you to do."

"Nothing? There's gotta be something!" I groaned. "Please?"

He rolled his eyes. "Alright, fine. You can help with making dinner."

"Yes!" Never in my life had I been so excited to do manual labor. Something about living here just made me want to help, made me want to pitch in and become a part of the team. A part of the community that they had built here.

The small voice in the back of my head told me that I didn't deserve to be here. That I didn't deserve Nick's generosity, or the room they had given me, or this excellent food. It told me that I shouldn't get attached, because sooner or later, they would have to kick me out. I couldn't live here forever, it told me.

I ignored it. Now wasn't the time to be depressed. Now was the time to enjoy life. Because now, I had something resembling a home, and people who were my friends and who cared about me. And, strangely enough, I had Nick.

Life was finally looking up.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 125K 32
{Completed} Every year the future Alpha's get together in cities all over the world. This isn't a party, this is training. For five weeks the future...
King's Guard By kara

General Fiction

3M 120K 47
"Why are you staring at me like that?" "Like what?" "Like you want to tear off my clothes." "And what if I do?" ~~~ Kingsley didn't believe in love...
137K 6K 21
Life as an Alpha has always been viewed as the easier path; Alphas are the top of the food chain, lead the packs, and are the deciding force in the w...
263K 7 1
Noble Ford, the rebellious son of the Beta, has always been a troublemaker, challenging authority and stirring chaos with impunity due to his status...