The Curse Of The Alpha

By Midika

"So you're a virgin, then." He says it so blatantly it rattles me to the core. "No! I mean, would it matter i... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42

10

5.7K 227 14
By Midika

Word Count: 1587

~Meara

I linger behind Sire as we walk back into his sprawling manor, practically dragging my feet.

What Carran said to me has stained my mind, and whether I like it or not, I'm not going to be able to get it out of my head. What if Sire being free is killing people and I just haven't seen it yet? What if Sire really did steal his friend's lover, causing the war.

"I'm willing to answer as many questions you have to ask, if you will allow me to bathe at the same time," Sire says, sensing that the heavy silence is due to me stewing in my thoughts.

"In the meditation pool?" I ask warily.

"Yes." I can hear the smile in his voice.

"Alright..." I mutter. At least if things get heated he will be stuck in that pool, more vulnerable than me.

I follow him downstairs, keeping my gaze trained to the floor. I don't want to take in the beauty of this manor too much when I plan to never visit it again.

However, as I expected, the meditative pool steals my breath away.

Hazel would love this. She lives for magic, and here, it's strong. I can feel it buzzing against my skin as I make it to the edge.

Sire immediately starts shedding of his clothing, forcing me to turn around abruptly.

"You don't have to fear my naked body, you know?" He exclaims softly.

Yes, I do.

"I know..." I say despite myself.

Turning around is awfully tempting. It's the fact that he's beautiful, like gazing upon a finely carved statute, and the fact that a relationship between us is forbidden. I can't be with him, and I definitely can't see him naked.

"Turn around," he presses.

I squeeze my eyes shut, and then my fists. Why do I want to look so bad? Even though it's basically over between Case and I, it's wrong to want to see him like that. Mate or not.

"I shouldn't," I whisper.

"Why not?" I can feel his presence right behind me, beckoning me to turn around.

"I have a boyfriend," I grit out.

"Compared to a mate, a boyfriend means nothing. Unless you're uncomfortable, turn around and look at me," he encourages. It's the last time he is going to push me.

Not guided by a rational mind, I turn around, facing him.

My eyes travel down the strong planes of his stomach, at the tattoo's that converge over his heart. I seen is muscled abdomen, at the ridges that guide my eyes lower...

I blink, drawing my gaze back up to those cold blue eyes. He has the softest smile on his lips, knowing that the power of the mate bond has overcome me.

My mouth is dry as he turns, stepping down into the pool. He sinks below the mellow water, resting against the wall.

I step toward the edge, peering down, seeing my reflection looking back at me. "What would happen if I touched this pool?"

"You would probably die," he muses calmly.

I jump back a step. The water has morphed from calm to terrifying death water that glares threateningly back at me.

"You should have warned me!" I snap, wrapping my arms around myself.

Sire sighs, bracing his arms out along the edge of the pool, dipping his head back. I look at the dark curls that spill out against the marbled tile.

"Do you think I would ever let harm befall you, mate?" he says, his eyes closing.

I rub the back of my neck. "No, but..."

"What questions do you wish to ask me?"

Sinking to my knees, I edge a little closer to him, eyeing the way apprehensively. I don't want to get too close, and although Sire claims he won't let any harm come to me, I can't take that chance.

"You warred with another Alpha a long time ago. Why?"

He exhales long and slow, keeping his eyes closed. By the way he tenses I can tell that he doesn't want to be having this discussion, but an agreement is an agreement.

"It's complicated," he responds tersely.

"Tell me your story," I encourage.

He sits up, water dripping down back. Slowly, he turns to face me again, a darkness now in his eyes that wasn't there before.

"He feared my power. He always did, since our youth, and one day out of nowhere he turned on me," he explains bitterly.

To me, this happened centuries ago...it means nothing to me. But to him, this happened recently, the wound still very raw and real.

"There must have been more to it." I can't just believe that jealously was the only thing that played a part in this dispute, which turned into a war between Pack's and cumulated with the elimination of Sire's.

"He blamed me for seducing his lover. Her and I were never close, but she sought refuge in my Pack because he was obsessed with her. He wanted her to be Luna, but he did not share his desires."

I frown. "Why should I believe you?"

He rubs a hand through his wet locks. "It's your decision whether you trust me. I hope to earn that trust in time, but I can assure you I never wished to hurt him. He was my friend, I loved him like a brother."

I think back to that painting that Carran showed me. The two were next to each other, looking happy...

"Tell me about the curse that has been unleashed since your rising from the dead," I say sturdily, watching reaction for any shift in his expression.

He's far too good at schooling his expression into whatever he wants others to perceive, so if he does decide to lie, I'm not sure I would be able to figure it out.

But there is only so much I can press him on without revealing my talk with Carran.

He frowns, staring at me long and hard.

"What curse?"

"You don't know?" His reaction seems genuine. The sound of a curse sounds completely foreign to him, clearly.

"No..." he drifts off.

"There is a theory that your rising would cause an ancient curse to be unleashed that would slowly kill the people of your enemies Pack, which would include me," I explain slowly, resting a hand on my chest.

He sits up a little stranger, his frown deepening between his brows.

"That sounds a lot like an Alpha spreading a vicious rumour to make the conquering of my Pack go far smoother," he growls.

"That's what I thought," I say quietly. Still, what if Carran is right? It's a big gamble to simply hope that this is all a vicious attempt at keeping people from trying to save him from his tomb.

"You do not need to fair. I will enact my revenge, re-establish my Pack, and all will be well," he exclaims simple.

"Maybe revenge wouldn't be for the best." I don't even want to know what his revenge would entail...

Carran would be the first to go, then anyone who is faintly related to him. Then he would claim this pack I would be expected to...I don't even want to think about it.

"Why not?"

"It happened so many years ago. Those who hurt you are long gone." I know it doesn't feel like that to him, but it is ancient history now...it's something we learnt about in school, that is only found in very old books.

He waves his hand through the water, a raging storm gathering momentum in his eyes. "I'm not sure I am strong enough to go through my life without getting revenge."

"You have me now."

He twists his head, staring up at me. Something twists in my stomach, knowing I'm lying to him. He doesn't have me, but I may be the only thing that will stop him from rampaging through the Pack, killing every one in his path.

"You're right. I will think about it, as you are my mate, and I value your opinion," he decides, although I note the edge to his voice.

Regardless I'm relieved, although I don't let it show. I don't want him thinking I'm doing this just to quell his anger.

"Thank you, Sire," I breathe.

He settles back against the pool wall and we sit in silence for a while. I focus on the lapping of the water against the edge, trying not to panic. What is important is turning his attention away from enacting his revenge.

"Where were you last night?" He asks steadily.

I stiffen. "I told you, I was out with a friend."

"Your boyfriend?"

"No. I haven't spoken to him yet." I'm not sure Case will want to speak to me again. He knows I have a mate now, which pretty much drew our entire relationship to an end.

"I can make you far happier than anyone ever could," he muses casually, turning to look at me. There's a playful glint in his eye. "In more ways than one."

I roll my eyes. "Sure."

"I will prove it to you."

Despite myself, I smile. He won't make me fall in love with him; I'm not that stupid. However, considering how my body reacted earlier, there is every chance he may seduce me into his bed.

"We'll see," I respond quietly. "We'll see."

❤️••❤️

Want more?? This story is available 10 chapters ahead on Goodnovel! (:

Thanks for reading (:

~Midika 💜🐼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

470K 23.3K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
98.4K 4.1K 79
***Please read my message on November 12, 2019 (if you can) for enlightenment purposes*** "Who are you?" A certain Luna asked. "Tell me, why do I fe...
2.3M 54.1K 34
"Please," I begged pulling on the man's arm that was wrapped around my torso, pressing me to him. I wanted nothing more then to be freed of his grasp...
355K 15.9K 49
Kylie survived the brutal destruction of her pack only to discover her cold alpha mate was the one responsible for the brutal slaughter of her family...