Hidden Burdens (working title)

De ShannonLeathem

Ben and his wife, Kayla, are foster parents who take in kids who have had a difficult start to life to share... Mai multe

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Thanksgiving: Round Two
Meltdown in the Park
Decorating the Christmas Tree
Progress
It's Never Easy to Say Good-Bye
A New But Familiar Burden
Who is Jesus?
Christmas
A New Foster Kid
Kimmy's First Court Hearing
Regrets and a Party
Unexpected Explosion
Road to Recovery and Love
Resurrecting Fear
Leaf Blowers and Regrets
An Overwhelmed Yearning

Chapter One

672 13 3
De ShannonLeathem

Author's Note:

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated! This is a first draft and anything is subject to change. I am writing out the whole story first, then will be going back to make edits (Though, I do check for grammar and spelling before publishing each chapter).

Also, this is a Christian story, but no way a family/friendly story because life isn't that way. There will be cussing and other stuff that you wouldn't find in a Pure Flix film. Nothing Rated R, though. Nor am I looking to convert anyone. This is just a story about human beings and their struggles (who happen to be Christians). 

-- & --

Ben rushed around the kitchen, trying to get breakfast made and lunches packed. His wife, Makayla, or Kayla, as she preferred to go by, got ready for work and their three current foster kiddos got ready for school. 

Their oldest at the moment was a sophomore in high school and preferred to buy her lunch from the student store, which usually consisted of just a bag of chips and a Gatorade since the school banned sodas. Still not the healthiest in his opinion, but Ben felt she was old enough to make her own choices when it came to food, aside from dinner.

Ben and Kayla weren't healthy food fanatics to say, but still encouraged the kids to eat foods like fruits and vegetables, and to go easy on the sweets. Kayla enjoyed fitness and going on a run in the morning. Every other time she would extend the offer to the older ones if they'd like to join. Nothing was ever forced or pushed, though. Stuff was already forced on the kiddos who came through the Ross household already. Ben and Kayla didn't want to add more fuel to that fire.

Miguel was the first of their kiddos to come downstairs, dressed in navy blue cargo shorts and a lighter blue graphic shirt with a picture of a shark on the front, and a pair of black socks.

"Good morning, Tio Ben." Since coming to their home and bonding with them, the kid had taken it upon himself to call Ben and Kayla, Tio and Tia, the Spanish words for uncle and aunt. The four, almost five-year-old boy had surely come a long way from the timid, quiet boy he once was. It was the reason Ben and Kayla had requested to take in his sister, Mary, as well, so Miguel had someone familiar while he was adjusting in their home. Though, usually the couple tried their darndest to take in whole sibling groups, to lesser the trauma as much as possible. 

Ben looked up from the sub sandwiches he was cutting up to slide into ziplock bags. He immediately smiled. "Good morning, Miguel. You all ready to go?"

The little boy hurried over to pull out a chair from the table in the breakfast nook. "Yeah," he replied, excitedly sitting on one leg and leaning his top half on the edge of the table. "And all by myself, too."

"Yeah? That's awesome, buddy," he praised.

"Mary and Claudia were taking too long in the bathroom, so I just got dressed myself."

Ben chuckled. "Well, that's girls for ya, huh?" he teased.

The boy shook his head. "What are we gonna do with them, Tio?" It was something he picked up from Ben's sense of humor. He, of course, understood it was all in good fun.

"I don't know, kiddo." Once he finished with the sandwiches, he turned back to the stove to make Miguel a four-year-old portion-sized plate of scrambled eggs, sausage, and half a piece of toast.

Kayla was the next one downstairs, stopping at the coffeepot to pour some into a travel mug Ben had made with the kiddos, last Mother's day. It was only Mary and Miguel then, along with a boy a year older than Miguel, who was able to be returned home to his family.

"I have to stay a little later today and head straight to my women's group from there. So I won't be home until late tonight." She set the pot back into place and screwed the lid on.

Miguel was the first to respond, holding his piece of toast in his left hand. "But what about Winn-Dixie, Tia?" he said in a worried whine. For the last few nights, Kayla had been reading the children's book to him at bedtime, a chapter a night. The book a favorite from her own childhood she had forgotten about until recently finding it at the library.

"I told you about this last night, bud," Kayla reminded him. "Remember? I said I'd read two chapters tomorrow night to make up for it."

Miguel frowned at the reminder. "Oh, yeah." The kid usually preferred not to remember bad news even when he did. He stared down at his plate, close to tears.

Kayla came over to wrap a hand around his head to hold a kiss to the side. "I'm sorry, bud." She then ran a hand along his short dark hair before offering if he wanted to ride with her to school this morning and they could stop at the Starbucks to split a pastry.

Miguel looked up to push out a half smile and softly murmured an "okay."

Kayla returned it with a warm smile of her own.

Ben came over to pass Kayla a plate, along with a kiss good morning, causing Miguel to go, "ewww, gross."

He chuckled at the kid's reaction. "You'll change your mind someday when you meet that special someone," he said, heading back to finish packing lunches.

"I don't think so," Miguel said, shaking his head.

Ben only smirked, letting it end. The kid had barely started school for the first time. He still had plenty of time and didn't need to be thinking about romantic love, anyway. Instead, Ben turned his attention to call up the stairs to give the girls their reminder they would be late for school if they stayed up there any longer.

"Oh, don't get your panties in a knot!" Claudia called back, causing him to sigh under his breath.

Claudia was a bright girl, with a feisty attitude that can test a person's patience. She tested boundaries whenever possible, but was willing to help when needed, especially when it came to the younger kiddos.

Ben and Kayla never took in babies or toddlers, only school-aged, including Pre-K. It was easier to manage with their schedules. Plus, Kayla didn't feel equipped enough to mother the very young ones, despite forming a special bond with Miguel. Usually she felt more prepared with the teenagers, including the preteens, while Ben strived best with the kiddos, Miguel's age and up. He usually let Kayla take the lead with the girls while taking the lead with the boys, especially the ones who had an interest in sports, cars, and video games, areas he enjoyed as hobbies.

However, even though he got along great with the boys and shared a lot of the same interests, it was Ben who mostly took care of the house stuff, including cooking. Kayla pitched in when she was home and the kids had chores to help out as well. Ben was the stay-at-home parent. It was also his idea to become foster parents. In fact, it had been a dream since he was a kid and had lost his best friend at the hands of the ones who were supposed to be taking care of him. So, Ben vowed he would help other kids in memory of George. Both he and Kayla could have their own kids if they wanted to, but felt there were already ones out there that could use the love and support they needed and should have.

Ben and Kayla were aware of the challenges that they'd face going into it, so when Claudia came, they weren't as blindsided as some couples might be. But neither ever backed away from a challenge. Ben, especially, did not know the meaning of the word, quit. Unfortunately, that was also a weakness of his, and sometimes bit him on the butt. He did not want to give up on a kid.

Ever.

"Just hurry up," he told them, in the nicest way possible. It took a lot to get Ben upset, something he tried not to do, and something Claudia seemed to sense and take pleasure in.

Ben returned to the kitchen to finish packing the lunches when he noticed Kayla stifling a smirk behind the hand holding her fork while watching him.

"What?"

Kayla pretended to clear her throat. "Nothing." She tried to hide the smirk, but not all that hard.

He didn't press it, but knew Kayla was laughing at him and Claudia. As much as the girl pressed his buttons, she could be hilarious from time to time. Or, the girls thought so, anyway.

-- & --

By the time Ben had all the lunches packed and ready, the two girls finally came downstairs with their backpacks, taking a plate from Ben as they walked behind him to the table.

By this time, Kayla and Miguel had finished, which Kayla refilled what she had already drank of her coffee.

"Girls, have a wonderful day, and don't give Ben too much of a hard time this morning. 'Kay?" She gave the girls a knowing sideways look, half serious, but also as a tease towards Ben.

"We make no promises about Ben," Mary replied with a grin of her own, while also chuckling.

Kayla just smiled and leaned over to wrap a hand around the fourteen-year-old's head to kiss it.

Miguel also hugged and kissed his big sister good-bye, which she asked where he was going. "I'm going with Kayla to saw-bucks on the way to school," he chimed back with a beaming face.

Both girls protested towards Kayla, who loved Starbucks more than Miguel did. For different reasons, of course.

"I promised to share a treat with Miguel since I won't be home in time to read a chapter tonight," Kayla informed them and reminded the girls, he was also overdue for a treat with her anyway since the last few times Kayla went to Starbucks, it was either alone or with one of the girls. It wasn't an everyday thing since she preferred making coffee at home. But every now and then, usually when running late or she needed the extra caffeine, or to just get a pastry.

Before they left, Miguel gave Ben a hug and kiss when Ben handed him his Paw Patrol lunch box while Kayla went to grab his matching backpack. She held the straps out so Miguel could slip his arms through. Once Kayla had her lunch and her shoulder bag she keeps her laptop and work files in, she and Ben kissed once last time. The two put their shoes on at the door before heading out.

After Kayla and Miguel left, Ben told the girls to finish their breakfast while he fed Samson his morning Kibble, calling the dog in from the backyard.

The black, long-haired German Shepherd trotted over, slipping in past Ben's legs before he closed the back door. Samson happily panted and circled around him as Ben headed back to the kitchen. Samson had been a rescue when Ben and Kayla had first married right before Christmas. During their first date, he had mentioned wanting to adopt a dog from the shelter one day, having always wanted one, but his mom hated them. So, for their first Christmas together as a married couple, Kayla picked Samson out, who came right to her and fell in love with both of them. He never left either one's side for the first several weeks and ended up being an enormous help for the kids as well.

Samson was larger than the average German Shepherd and had longer fur, even longer than an average long-haired. He wasn't an attractive dog, which was why he had never gotten adopted before Kayla found him. But he was very loveable and full of life. Kayla thought he looked like a black Chewbacca, having grown up with a Star Wars crazed brother. Though Ben liked the series, he wasn't as much of a fan as his brother-in-law, and decided to go with Samson, after the biblical figure, famous for his long hair. Unlike that Samson, they have to take the four-legged Samson to the groomers to keep him trimmed and groomed or his fur gets matted.

The dog knew the routine by now. He ran to the pantry where his food was kept, getting there before Ben.

Ben had Samson sit before opening the door to the pantry and wait while he scooped some food into an old movie theater reusable cup.

"Oh, Ben," Mary blurted as if she just remembered something she forgot. She twisted around in her seat, following Ben with her gaze.

Ben took Samson's breakfast over to pour in the food dish by his water dish. "Yeah?"

"I forgot. I need a poster board for a project we're doing in Language Arts."

"By when?" he asked.

"It's due tomorrow," she said.

Having Samson sit and wait some more, Ben poured the food and waited ten seconds before giving him the go. "How long have you known about this?" he asked afterwards as he stood up straight.

Mary stalled while trying to stifle a laugh. "Ummm..." The stalling showed him she had known for a couple of days.

Ben stifled a sigh under his breath. "We talked about this, Mary," he reminded her, stern but gentle. "You have to let us know these things ahead of time. Not at the last minute. One of us could have taken you over the weekend."

She shrugged. "I forgot."

"Isn't that why Kayla got ya that planner? So you won't forget?"

"Yeah, but then I forget to write it down." Mary snickered some more, holding onto the back of the chair she was sitting on, with her arm wrapped around the top.

Ben wandered over to grab Mary, her lunch, passing it to her. "Well, when I pick you from school, we can head over to Walmart to grab what you need, and there'll be no screen time until it's done."

"But I need to relax after school before I can do any homework," she tried to remind him what Kayla had read from an article her mother had shared on Facebook about kids needing downtime in the afternoon when they get home.

Ben shrugged. "There are other ways to relax other than watching a screen. Read a book, play with the dog. Draw a picture. The possibilities are endless."

"I can read on my tablet," she said, continuing to push for screen time after school.

But Ben did not budge. Instead, he asked if the girls were ready, glancing over at the time on the stove.

When Claudia suddenly went to grab her math book she had left upstairs, Mary asked if she could at least ride shotgun.

"Of course, kiddo," he assured, moving the dishes over to the sink for now until he got back, and also made sure to remind her he wasn't withholding screen time to be mean. "We're only trying to help."

Now, serious, she replied, "I know," with a sigh.

Claudia returned, calling, shotgun.

"I already asked Ben," Mary said.

She scoffed at that. "That's not how calling shotgun works."

"So? It's Ben's truck," she argued.

Claudia, surprisingly, did not argue back, but once they finally headed outside to where Ben was parked in the driveway, she immediately cut Mary off and jumped in the front.

"Claudia," Mary protested, annoyed.

"Again, I called shotgun," she simply said with a shrug, setting her backpack on the floor at her feet and settling into the seat.

Ben opened his door. "Claudia, Mary called it first."

Claudia lifted her knee up against the dash.

"Claudia, it's Ben's say, not yours," Mary continued to protest in a desperate whine similar to her brother's.

Ben stepped back, holding a hand on the open car door. He stared at the small rocks by the driveway that could be found in every front yard of suburban Arizona. He took in deep breaths and prayed for patience. This seemed routine at this point, like brushing one's teeth.

"Claudia, let's go. We're pushing time as it is." He looked back at her, motioning his head towards the back seat. "Mary asked me first. It's her turn. Please?" 

Ben tried to mask taking deep breaths. Whenever Claudia tested limits, she would turn things up to eleven while he calmed his nerves. Ben and Kayla knew kids tested boundaries and limits to see what an adult would do. That was emphasized in the training classes they had to take. It wasn't to be taken personally, of course. After all, these kids lived unpredictable lives with horrors no one should have to go through, especially children.

Finally, he heard Mary give in and pulled open the door to the back seat, mumbling how much of a pain Claudia was when the older girl jumped out, grabbing her backpack.

"Oh, calm down. I was only kidding." She stepped out of the way, dramatically gesturing for Mary to take the front seat.

Mary stepped down from the step on the side of the truck. "You're an ass," she laughed off, to which Claudia replied, "I know," with a devilish grin.

Ben blew out one long breath of relief through his nose. "Mary, language," he gently scolded as Ben finally hopped in under the steering wheel.

The girls climbed into their respective seats, shutting their doors while Ben started the truck.

"Aw, is wittle baby upset?" Claudia mocked in a cutesy voice.

Ben ignored her, shutting his door and fastening his seat belt. He did tell her to put her seat belt on, while Mary already had hers on.

It was Mary who scolded, "Knock it off, Claudia."

She just scoffed. "Not my fault the guy's so sensitive."

"Claudia!"

Ben interjected, but only to help calm Mary down. "Don't worry about what she's doing, kiddo. Okay?"

"But..." Mary tried to say, but Ben shook his head. Despite Mary teasing him and messing with him herself, she felt quite protective of him, especially whenever Claudia would take it too far. But both he and Kayla only wanted them to be kids and know they were the ones Ben and Kayla needed to be protective of, not the other way around.

"I know, kiddo," he reassured. "Just leave it be."

Mary frowned, but let it go. Instead, she took control of the radio, turning off the sports talk. It wasn't about a team Ben had any interest in, anyway. She switched over to a music station that played a variety of music, currently playing a song by Taylor Swift. It was perfect timing actually since it was her Shake it off song, which Ben cheesily and playfully sang and danced along with to get a laugh out of the girl. It worked. Mary was laughing. Awkwardly, but laughing, nonetheless.

"You're a dork," Claudia commented from the back seat behind Mary. She was slouched in her seat, with her arms lightly folded in front of her.

He grinned up at her through the rearview mirror. "And proud of it."

Claudia just rolled her eyes and masked a smirk as he backed out of the driveway, making sure to watch for other cars coming, which he noted he saw her.

That was usually how their mornings go, anyway. 

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

268K 4K 83
After her ex-boyfriend is thrown in jail after being arrested for drug dealing Maya Stevens decides to move back home to Boston, MA to start a new wi...
630 24 15
In a world where not even children dare put their faith in one another, poverty and sickness prosper. A nameless boy that interrupted a quarrel betwe...
4.3K 159 32
Not everyone who walk together reaches the destination together. Sometimes, one is left behind. Sometimes, one has to break to complete the other...
1.1K 52 14
What's there to live for after you die? You struggle to exist- to make it all the way to your Lord- and all that greats you is Hell wrapped through y...