𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭...

By lov4mil

! On hiatus ! Ao'nung x Reader - Moving with your family was a bigger step than you'd ever imagine. Being att... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Chapter 4

10.9K 447 820
By lov4mil

A tear dripped onto your thigh as you blinked, rubbing your wrist against your eyes to end the wetness. Not only were your siblings now avoiding you, but you were forced to seperate from them by the Tsahìk. Ronal was stealing you away from your family whether she was aware of it or not. Yes training was short but that was the only time you were sure you would spend time with them, even get to talk with them. Surprisingly through the day trying to find them was becoming impossible. Neteyam and Lo'ak had paired up while Kiri and Tuk paired.. You had no one.

You did have Ao'nung. But that wasn't a good thing, it honestly felt more like a bad thing. At least your siblings didn't attempt to insult you 24/7 because of your looks or the way you 'smelt'. You didn't even have a stench, he just made it up to sound mighty. Ao'nung was just a little boy trying to fill in shoes he couldn't fit.

You crossed your arms, letting out a huff. Your ears peaked up to the sound of foot steps walking against the bridge, you turning your head to the source. Your mother walked quietly towards you, your head dipping down once more. You lightly swung your toes in the water, the bioluminescence swirling as your mother sat next to you.

"(Y/n).." she hummed, lifting her hand to your face to brush a wisp of hair behind your ear. You lifted your eyes from the water to the woman, her eyebrows furrowed in concern as she looked over your face.

"What?" You asked, Neytiri's hand relaxing over your hair against your back.

"I would ask what is wrong, but much wrong is happening to you my love.." she spoke, her raspy tone making you melt in comfort. You shrugged to her words.

"I.. It's not even about how I have to spend time with people I don't know, or that I will have to be mated to someone I could care less about.. I," you took a breath, Neytiri slowly rubbing your hand up and down your back, "I feel.. I feel like my siblings don't see me as.. me, anymore." You breathed out, Neytiri's hand stopping as she looked over your face.

"They're thoughts of me have been shifted.. Everything is so awkward now— I can't even walk into our 'home' without it becoming silent. Everyone is walking on eggshells around me.. I just want to go home.." you ended your words off in a cry, your mother pulling your torso into her chest.

"Ma love.. I am so sorry baby.. I will talk to them privately if you would like?" she asked, hands rubbing up and down your arm slowly. You shook your head, resting against her.

"No.. I'll figure it out.. I just wish it didn't have to be this way. I just wish we could have stayed in the forest.. That I could have stayed in the forest.." you mumbled, lips in a frown. You lifted your eyes to the water, squinting in hopes to see anything that looked like your home. It was more fat away than you could dream.

"You know we must stay here my (Y/n).. I know you must be feeling stressed and hopeless, but we do rely on you.. I wish we didn't have to, I pray to great mother that something would change this but.. If she see's fit, than this is a must my love.." she explained, you sighing.

"Why couldn't we have gone to the other clans? Like the Tayrangi clan or the Olangi?" You questioned, Neytiri shaking her head.

"Your father told me it is because the water is hard to read, the last place the sky people would expect us to be is here my love.. We didn't want to but other clans so close to our home in danger." She explained. Your lips thinned once more, head leaning against your mother's chest.

"He is mean."

"Who is mean, (Y/n)?" Your mother asked, you lifting your head up to hers.

"Ao'nung. He is mean with his words, makes fun of my looks, and tries to demean me.. I say worse things back to make him back off but he has friends who help him he crueler.. I spoke with him today and he was nice sometimes but then just.. ruins it." You huff, dropping your hand against your lap. She was quiet to this, looking towards the water now.

"Some people's exterior don't stand for their interior, my love. Those moments of kindness may be who he is, and for now he is setting up a shield because he is just as mad as you are.. But if this continues, tell your father." She ended, nudging you gently.

You smiled at her words and nodded, the woman eventually standing from the bridge with her hand down to you. You gently took her hand in your own, your mother leading you to bed. Maybe you would have to take consideration of what she said. That Ao'nung may be putting up a front. You hoped that was the truth.

You slowly peaked open your eyes to the darkness of your new home, your fist reaching up to your eyes to wipe away the sleep. You stretched out your limbs, letting out a huff as you sat up. You turned your head towards your sleeping family, your lips thinning out as you noticed how tight your siblings slept together while you were on the opposite side next to your mother. You shook your head and slowly stood up, popping your fingers before exiting the home. You couldn't stomach breakfast for right now.

You walked down the roped bridge with your head down, locks of hair swinging in front of your sight ever so often. You wouldn't think anyone would be up this early except for the fishers, those people throwing out nets as you passed by. You didn't talk to other Metkayinan people if you didn't have to.

Your ears peaked up to the sound of teen boy laughs, your eye's attention being stolen by Ao'nung and his group of friends. The sun slowly started to appear after you noticed this, light now reflecting over all the waters. They let out a few excited yells before they dove in, your sight following the tallest boy in the group. You wondered if he would grow as tall as his father.

You suddenly made eye contact with Ao'nung, a laugh escaping his lips as he nodded his head towards your way to his friends. They talked amongst themselves, a groan escaping your mouth as you turned your attention back to the bridge to walk. Of course the first thing he would want to do is bother you in the morning.

"Forest girl, hold on!" You kept walking as you heard the boy's voice, eyes squeezing close for a moment out of annoyance. Your lips were tightened and your arms were crossed, even your tail was whipping because you were annoyed. You heard a few splashed behind you then some bounciness, this telling you he had jumped onto the bridge. You ignored this, quickening your pace to avoid him.

"Leave me alone, I have to spend all afternoon and training with you now anyways, why would I want to see you in the only time I can be alone?" You yelled, Ao'nung reaching forward towards your right wrist and gripping it in his own. You struggled to pull back your hand, the boy laughing at this as his friends jumped onto the bridge behind him.

"Look, her wrist are like a baby's." He laughed, his friend's laughing with him. You grunted before pulling your hand away from the sea boy, holding it back against you.

"What is your problem with me?"

"What problem could I not have with you? I'm sorry that I'm not attracted to mite eating monkey people who don't even know how to ride ilu the right way." He laughed once more, his posey chuckling to themselves.

"The little forest girl with a weak wrist!" Rotxo laughed, your eyebrows furrowing at the boy as he prompted the others to cackle louder. Ao'nung didn't laugh though, surprisingly.

"You're smaller than me, fish." You huffed, the boy making an angered face towards you. Rolled your eyes

"So when I make fun of you you get offended but I can't? You're so weak." You scoffed, one of the boys giggling to themselves.

"I can't believe this tree swinger is going to be our future Tsahìk," he laughed, Ao'nung's head turning towards him, "Ao'nung my brother, I wonder how you will be able to even have children with this forest-"

"If you would like to keep your face the way it is I would suggest you to stop talking, 'brother'." Ao'nung spoke, mocking the boy. Your eyes fluttered at this, the friend stuttering before closing his mouth. You huffed in delight, turning away from the group of boys suddenly and began to walk away.

Obviously after this you pondered to yourself why Ao'nung would say anything at all. Wouldn't he like if his friends made fun of you and teased you for having to mate with him? Even when Rotxo made fun of the way you looked Ao'nung didn't laugh. Interesting.

You walked into your hut, Kiri sitting silently in the corner of the room. You weren't sure what to say as you took a few steps inside, your sister's eyes raising to your frame. You crashed down next to the leftover breakfast, you missing it so you wouldn't have to walk past Ao'nung and his goons earlier in the morning. You pulled out your leaf wrapped mashed fish, beginning to pick at the food and eat. Your ears leaned up to the noise of Kiri moving, the girl coming next to you. You blinked a few times before you averted your eyes towards Kiri, the girl sitting close next to you.

"Give me some." She stated, a small smirk on your lips. You passed the food over, Kiri taking a small amount and placed it in her mouth. You leaned your shoulder against your sisters, a relieved hum escaping your throat. 1 down, 3 to go.

"Why are you so hungry?" You asked, your sister shrugging.

"I swam a lot this morning.. Mm, where were you?" She asked, eyes down to the food as she took another nibble.

"I just wanted to walk around, get used to the 'area'.. At least the water is pretty." You sighed, reaching forward and taking some food as well.

"It is pretty." She sighed, eyes lifting to your face before down to the food, "I think I will like it here.. I hope you will soon too, sister." She smiled, you looking to Kiri with a smile.

"I know I will. I'll have to eventually." You giggled, Kiri smiling back towards you as she lightly bumped your shoulder with her own. You two were quiet for a moment, just the sound of the sea washing under you and croaks from ilu filling the noise.

"So.. How are you?" She questioned, your chewing paused for a moment. You slowly continued before shrugging, swallowing down the food.

"Fine.." you mumbled, avoiding the question.

"No you aren't. How are you really doing?" She re-asked, your lips thinning slightly. You took in a slow breath before shaking your head.

"I just want to go home, honestly.. I'm forced to be arranged mated with a boy who doesn't know anything else except how to bully, then spend more time with his family than my own. So, not great.." you sighed, Kiri moving her hand to your shoulder and squeezed it.

"Neteyam wont even look at me now.. We used to be the closest, you know?.. I don't know." You sighed, Kiri quiet towards this.

"Maybe.. Maybe he doesn't want to see you as someone who can mate, you know? He's protective, especially over his twin sister.. And now he feels like, he can't protect you. Especially since you have to mate the guy.." she spoke, you lightly chewing against your inner cheek.

"Maybe." You replied back. Kiri smiled to you, lightly patting your back before she stood.

"Come on, we have to do breathing training." She handed her hand to you, you nodding before standing with her. Your eyebrows furrowed as you remembered that you would have to spend your time with Ao'nung instead.

"I can't train with you, Ronal wants me to train with Ao'nung.." you sighed, Kiri's lips frowning before she nodded to you.

"I understand, sister." She smiled, placing her forehead against yours for a moment before she exited the hut.

You disposed of the leaves before you left the hut as well, peaking towards the end of the sand bar where you noticed Ao'nung kicking around sand boredly. You decided to jump in the water and swim to the boy this time, clicking for your Ilu. The dark creature came smoothly towards you, you connecting your queue to its own before swimming towards the boy. As you rode up to Ao'nung you waved your arm, slipping off your Ilu and disconnected your tendrils. You walked towards the teen, him waving his hand towards you.

"Follow me, I want to train somewhere with you that isn't so public."

"Oh, so you're embarrassed of me?" You questioned quickly.

"Always." He smirked, you scoffing at him.

"You will need your Ilu, come on."

The two of you quickly got on your seperate Ilu, you following next to Ao'nung as he led the way. Luckily it wasn't too far way, but you did have to raise above the water more than a few times to breath to get to it. Ao'nung made sure you stayed next to him the whole time, ever so often looking back to you. Eventually you swam into a cave like system, you slowly lifting your head up above the water as you let out a soft 'woah'.

You were surrounded by a crystal looking cove, large stones draped with vines and luminance floating around you. Ao'nung turned his eyes to you, a hidden smile growing on his lips as he nodded his head for you to move further. You nodded back, following him.

"This is a smaller cove on the outside of the cove of our ancestors. I come here when I have time." He spoke, you smiling towards him.

"It's beautiful.." you breathed out, Ao'nung eventually coming to a stop. You blinked your eyes towards him, sliding off your Ilu and separating your queue from its own before you swam after him. Of course you were slow, so he had to grip your wrist and lead you to where he was leading.

He then sat up on a small area of rocks, pulling you up easily. You then sat in front of Ao'nung, reaching back as you rung your hair out with your eyes exploring the area. The rocks were smooth and flat, your hands sliding against them.

"You come here a lot?" You questioned, eyes moving from the sky down to Ao'nung.

"When I can." He stated, a smile growing on your lips.

"I like it." You stated, Ao'nung quiet to your compliment. You caught the tug on his lips though, this making you feel more pleased.

"I will be giving you a breathing exercise. It's obvious you don't know how to hold your breath, so it's a must. You're useless here if you can't stay under the water." He spoke, your head nodding. You weren't going to bring up the sass in his tone as he spoke.

"You must slow your heart. Realize the water has no end or beginning.. The water is where you are born, and it is where you will end. Everything is connected through water." He spoke, taking in and out slow breaths. You followed his breathing, eyes noticing how large his chest was able to fill with air compared to yours.

"You're made for this.." you mumbled, Ao'nung nodding.

"Of course. Just how you're made for nesting in trees." He spoke, a scoff escaping your throat.

Ao'nung then came closer to you, your eyes widening as you looked up to him.

"Here." He spoke, sliding his large hand against your stomach and the other against your heart. You fluttered your eyes to him, your heart beat quickening up the pace.

"Your heart's beating too fast.. Slow it down." He spoke, eyebrows furrowing.

You closed your eyes, lips thinning as you attempted to slow your heart beat. It was hard not to focus on the hands that were pressed against your torso, his palms substantially bigger than you expected. You slowed your breathing, your heart trying to follow suit.

"Good.. Just like that." He spoke, your heart beat quickening up again. He scoffed and shook his head towards you.

"I said slow your heart. Why is it going faster when I congratulate you for it?" He questioned, tone full of annoyance.

"Shut up!" You huffed, trying to slow your heart once more. He slid his hands from your torso, a sudden coldness hitting your skin.

"That's better, I guess. If you breath like that, slowing your heart.. You'll be able to be under the water much longer, I promise you." He stated, your head nodding.

"Then I'll keep practicing."

"You better. Remember you're not only learning for yourself but for me." Your brow lifted to his words, your face making a confused look.

"What do you mean?"

"How well you learn comes back to me since I'm your teacher. I'll get in trouble if you fail. You're failure is my failure.." he answered, your lips thinning as you nodded. You didn't realize how much your actioned depended on Ao'nung.

"I won't fail." You said, Ao'nung looking to the water. You sat up and reached over, placing your hand on top of his own. He raised his eyes to yours.

"I promise I won't fail." You stated once more. Ao'nung looked down to your hand, brow furrowing as he looked over it. You noticed his curiosity

"Your hands.. Are they always this small in your tribe?" He questioned. You sat down closer next to him, shrugging your shoulders.

"This is the average size for my age." You answered, Ao'nung humming. He turned his hand over, comparing the size of your own to his. Your heart fluttered to this, you spreading out your fingers to accurately compare.

"I kind of like it though." He spoke, your brow lifting. He shrugged and shook his head, eyes turning to your other hand.

"Can I see your.. other hand?" He questioned. You paused for a moment before nodding your head, turning your body a bit to show him your 'demon' hand. It was just your father's hand.

"I don't understand what you need this for." He stated, wrapping his hand around your pinky. You shrugged, smiling slightly.

"It helps me hold more things, 'swing through trees better'." You kidded, Ao'nung laughing softly.

"I bet it does.. The sky people have hands like these, right?" He questioned, your lips thinning.

"Yes. My dad came from them.." you stated, Ao'nung nodding.

"Mhm.." he hummed, the both of you growing quiet. Ao'nung gently put his fingers through your own, holding against your hand. Your eyelashes blinked to this, pupil's raising to his face. Ao'nung took notice of this and made a small 'ahem', slipping his hand away from yours as he stood.

"Four fingered freak." He laughed, diving into the water. You rolled your eyes, diving in after him.

You actually enjoyed your time with Ao'nung today, weirdly enough. He wasn't as aggressive and seemed to be interested in you.. Now you felt interested in learning about him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 650 25
The sully family come to the Metkayina clan to seek a safe home for their family from the sky people. They must learn the ways of the reef people to...
26.7K 652 25
A female metkayaia had been spending all her adult life alone she has wished for mate and family of her own, but that all changed one night of a stor...
12.4K 228 51
Social media and written AU with the characters of the movie Avatar: The Way of Water in college. Built around love, old relationships, and friendshi...
2.9K 73 12
Ao'nung Tonowari'itan is 18 years old and Tsahìk of the Awa'atlu village. He has been wanting to be Tsahìk of his clan for as long as he could rememb...