The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Farewells

1.4K 58 40
By dragonrand100

Chapter 4

Farewells

Emerging from the Gohma's tunnel, Link almost stumbled as he reached the familiar comfort of the Great Deku Tree's meadow. His elation at defeating the Gohma Queen faded as fatigue dulled his senses, his limbs aching with exhaustion.

"Great Father!" Link called out, trying to mask his exhaustion with a hint of cheer. "We did it! Navi and I broke the curse."

As the ancient spirit's mind touched his own, a surge of emotions overwhelmed Link. A profound sadness engulfed him, a grief he couldn't quite comprehend, far from the joyous praise he had expected. His bubble of elation burst, leaving a cold dread that snatched the warmth from his bones.

"Great Father?" Link asked, his voice cracking with concern. "What's wrong? Navi and I broke the curse, didn't we?"

"You did well, child," the Great Deku Tree said, his voice tinged with pride and a deep sorrow that dimmed Link's triumph.

"I knew you had the courage to destroy the curse within me," the Great Deku Tree continued. "But time is short, and there is much I must tell you—"

"Wait. What do you mean?" Link asked, his alarm growing. "You're going to be okay now, aren't you?"

The sadness radiating through their bond intensified. A dull ache throbbed in Link's chest, growing stronger with each passing moment. The Great Deku Tree's next words only amplified that pain.

"Your efforts in stopping the curse were successful. Through determination and courage, you prevented the Gohma's invasion into our realm. If they had escaped, the consequences would have been felt far beyond the boundaries of this forest. I am proud of you, Link, and I regret what I must now tell you. It seems my fate was sealed long before you began your quest. I suspected as much but could not confirm it until now."

Time seemed to stretch on as the weight of those heavy words settled on Link's shoulders.

"Doomed?" Link's voice trembled, struggling to grasp the magnitude of what he had just heard. "What... what do you mean?"

After an agonisingly long pause, the Great Deku Tree replied heavily, "None can withstand the currents of time forever. Not even me. With each beat of the heart, time flows ever onward, driving by the turning of time's wheel, and so life must inevitably come to its end. There is no easy way to put this, Link, and the only solace I can offer you now is that this is just part of life's endless cycle. It is an end but also a beginning. I am dying."

Link couldn't comprehend what he was hearing. The idea that the Great Deku Tree, the wise and powerful guardian of the forest, could die was beyond his imagination. It was inconceivable. Death wasn't entirely foreign to him; Saria often tended to sick or injured animals she found in the woods, and they didn't always survive, despite her best efforts, but this was different.

I am dying.

Those last words struck Link with the force of a savage blow, leaving him speechless. Navi's gasp confirmed that he had not misheard.

No.

A suffocating weight pressed against Link's chest. What would the other Kokiri think? What would Saria think? He wished she was with him. How could he face the others if the Great Deku Tree died? He couldn't stand the idea of telling them. What would he say?

"But-" he choked, barely able to form words. "You can't die! Great Father, we killed the Gohma Queen!"

Driven by a desperate need to deny the truth, Link rushed towards the Great Deku Tree. His fatigue and the pain in his injured leg became insignificant as he collapsed against one of the gnarled roots. He could still feel the warmth of the magic that flowed through the tree, but that vibrant hum of power was fading, barely discernible beneath his fingers.

"No, please," he begged. "You can't die! You can't!"

Hot tears fell down his cheeks, leaving wet trails on the root. He trembled, choking back a sob, and looked up at the Great Deku Tree.

"I have already told Saria what she must do," the Great Deku Tree continued gravely. "She will plant a seed in front of me that will one day take my place. I ask that you do not grieve for me..." He paused, his voice catching as he noticed Link's sobs continuing unabated. Link, listen to me. I know this is difficult, but I need you to listen to what I must tell you. Can you do that for me?"

Link wiped his damp cheek with a grubby hand, taking a deep, shuddering breath as he sat on the ground. Navi perched silently on his shoulder, her presence a small comfort. Link wrapped his arms around his legs, forming a cocoon against the chill that gripped him.

"Link?"

At the Great Deku Tree's gentle tone, Link looked up.

"I'm listening," he replied weakly.

"Good. This curse was the work of a man from the desert. He was possessed by a power from well beyond Hyrule's borders, a power from a time immemorial."

"You mean the man from my dream?" Link asked, interrupting before he could help himself.

"Yes," the Great Deku Tree affirmed patiently. "The sorcerer you described to Saria is that same man. The power that now corrupts him belongs to a demon that was sealed within a mask by the sorcerers of an ancient tribe. This man, this sorcerer, seeks a relic created by the Goddesses in their last act before departing our world. It is called the Triforce."

An image flowed through the bond, forming in Link's mind. He saw three glowing triangles joined together, hovering in mid-air as if held up by some unseen magic, floating above an altar of smooth white stone. The image faded, and Link was back in the meadow once more.

"The Goddesses Din, Farore, and Nayru created this relic, entrusting its care to the ones called Sages," the Great Deku Tree explained, sounding as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Link knew the creation stories of the Kokiri and the role played by the Triforce. The forest children often performed these tales through song and dance, adorning themselves with masks, ochre paints, and colourful ornaments made from feathers, wood, and leaves. The thought of it only made Link's heartache all the more. "Do you recall the legend?"

"Saria told me," Link said, nodding in understanding, "She said bad people tried to use it, so the Sages sealed it away."

"That is indeed part of the tale," said the Great Deku Tree. "The Sages did lock the ancient relic away in a place known as the Sacred Realm. There is only one entrance into this sanctuary, protected by four keys. One of those keys was entrusted to me, and it was for this that I was cursed. The sorcerer from the desert does not know the emerald is in the Forest Temple. Nor that I set wards to stop him from entering. Those wards will fail soon. I must entrust you with the emerald's care. It holds the essence of a soul long lost, and his power still runs through it. Take it to a place called Hyrule Castle. Navi can guide you."

"I can leave the forest?" Link asked. Navi shifted uncomfortably on his shoulder, her silent tears mirroring the grief etched on Link's face. "I thought a Kokiri couldn't leave," he continued, his words faltering, "except to visit the other groves."

"They can, but the wards that protect this realm only stretch as far as the borders of the woods. If a Kokiri ventured beyond these wards in their present form, they would not survive for long. Years ago, one Kokiri left the forest, but he was unprepared for what he faced. Though I sent the forest guardians to retrieve him, it was too late."

Link glanced at Navi, but she avoided his eyes.

"Once you get to Castletown, find Princess Zelda," the Great Deku Tree continued. "Tell her to warn the ones who hold the other stones. They too will be in peril."

The bond between his mind and that of the Great Deku Tree began to weaken. Alarmed, Link tried to cling to that tenuous connection, but it was like holding onto a fading dream.

No!

"Please, don't go..." Link leapt up and laid a hand on the Great Deku Tree's trunk, feeling the thrum of magic deep within, even as it ebbed away beneath his fingers.

"Find Princess Zelda," the Great Deku Tree's voice was as soft as the rustling wind. "You must not let the Desert Man lay his hands on the other Spiritual Stones... Warn the others who guard them."

The frayed threads of the Great Deku Tree's life force began to unravel, his presence drifting away like dandelion fluff scattered by a breeze.

And just like that, the tenuous link between their minds broke, and the Great Father of the Kokiri was gone.

"Wait!" Link cried.

Silence answered him.

Within a heartbeat and with a speed that defied nature, the Great Deku Tree's vibrant bark transformed, turning from a healthy brown to a sickly ashen grey. Lush leaves of brilliant green withered, twisting and contorting like paper before a flame, their skeletal forms clawing at a sun they could no longer see. A low, guttural groan emerged from the tree's depths, a tremor vibrating through the very bones of the forest. The breeze, once alive with the sweet whispers of the forest, now carried the mournful lament of the dying giant.

Transfixed by this spectacle, Link couldn't restrain the tide of emotion, and he broke into sobs, his tears splashing upon the gnarled root he still clutched. He wasn't sure how long he cried, but by the time his tears were spent, the setting sun cast long shadows across the forest floor, heralding the approach of nightfall.

"Link?"

Navi's soft and hesitant voice broke through Link's consuming grief. He had almost forgotten she was there.

"You heard what he said," Navi said softly. "We should go."

Link nodded slowly, his eyes lingering on the lifeless form of the Great Deku Tree as he took a deep breath.

"I'll keep the others safe," he vowed to the silent guardian.

A sudden rustling from the path behind startled Link, followed by slow and almost hesitant footsteps.

Mido, he thought, his heart sinking. He was the last Kokiri Link wanted to see right now. He'd almost be happier facing the Gohma again.

Bracing himself for the inevitable confrontation, he turned around. To his surprise, it was not Mido who stood before him, but Saria.

Her eyes, once brimming with youthful energy, were now red and swollen. She stared at the Great Deku Tree, her expression mixed with disbelief and despair.

"It's true, then?" she asked, her voice barely more than a whisper above the rustling leaves. "I thought... I didn't want to believe it."

Without a word, Saria wrapped her arms around Link in a comforting embrace. For a moment, they stood together, sharing a grief that transcended words.

Without another word, Saria threw her arms around Link in a comforting embrace. For a time, they stood there, enveloped in a shared grief that words alone could not express.

"I tried to save him," Link choked out, his voice trembling. "I tried, Saria, but I failed."

Saria pulled back. Her eyes held no accusation, only empathy, letting him know she understood his pain.

"You mustn't think that way, Link," she said firmly. "You didn't fail. You stopped the curse from spreading, and that's what he wanted."

Despite her reassurance, Link still felt a pang of guilt. He had promised the Great Deku Tree he would protect the forest, yet he had failed to save its guardian.

Sensing his inner conflict, Saria reached into her tunic pocket and withdrew a large emerald encased in a golden wreath. She placed it gently in Link's hands, its warmth radiating against his palm.

"The Kokiri Emerald?" he asked in surprise.

"Yes," Saria confirmed.

So, this was the reason the Great Deku Tree died, Link thought as he held the precious emerald.

"Keep them safe."

I promise, Link thought, clutching the Emerald tightly. I promise, Great Father.

With the words of the Great Deku Tree's final wish echoing in his mind, Link knew he could no longer remain in the forest. He would have to leave before the Desert Man returned to claim his prize.

Link carefully placed the Emerald in his satchel and followed Saria's gaze. She stared blankly at the Great Deku Tree, her eyes clouded with grief.

"I always knew you would leave the forest one day," Saria murmured, lowering her head. "I thought maybe you wouldn't have to... but..."

Her words trailed off.

"Did the Great Deku Tree tell you?" Link asked.

Saria nodded, straightening. "He did," she admitted.

"What about Mido?" Link asked, unable to hide the apprehension provoked by the boy's name. "Does he know I can leave?"

"No," Saria replied, a faint glimmer of unease in her eyes. "He believes you are under the Great Deku Tree's protection, as we all are. I'm sorry, Link. I really wanted to tell you, and I can explain it all later, but now isn't the time. You're hurt and exhausted, and you need to rest."

Link tried to suppress the grimace that threatened to betray the pain in his leg. "I'm not hurt," he insisted. "Really, I'm fine."

Despite feeling hurt that Saria knew more than she had let on, Link knew now wasn't the time for anger, not while standing before the lifeless form of the Great Deku Tree.

"I'm glad," she said with a sad smile. "I have something else for you."

Reaching into her other pocket, Saria produced a wooden ocarina, identical to the beige one she always carried, except for the intricate carving of a little fairy adorning its side. She held it out to him, and Link accepted it, gently brushing his fingers across its smooth surface.

"Thanks, Saria," he said, a smile finally touching his lips. "Maybe I can put some of that practice you gave me to use and not sound like a strangled bird."

Saria chuckled ruefully. "You never sounded like a strangled bird."

Though Link had never been particularly adept at learning an instrument, Saria's patience and encouragement had seen him improve significantly.

"The Great Deku Tree infused the ocarina with Earth magic," she continued, prompting Link to look at her with a puzzled frown.

"Earth magic?" he blurted out, perplexed. He was intimately familiar with the seven elements, Earth being foremost among them. They coursed through Hyrule like the lifeblood of the Golden Goddesses, an essence as vibrant as sunlight and as vital as air itself. But associating it with the ocarina was beyond his understanding.

"I'll show you, but not now," Saria said, her smile lingering despite the sorrow in her eyes. "You need to rest, or you won't make it far." She gently took his arm, guiding him towards the path leading out of the meadow. "Come on, I'll ensure Mido doesn't trouble you."

"Thanks," Link replied, grateful for her support.

He allowed Saria to lead the way. A solemn silence enveloped the once vibrant meadow, broken only by their footsteps and the soft crunch of freshly fallen leaves. They paused as they reached the clearing's edge, realising Navi and Fora were no longer with them. The two fairies still hovered in front of the lifeless tree, their expressions unreadable from this distance. Link called to them, and Fora quickly zipped towards Saria's shoulder. Navi, however, remained still, gazing silently at the face carved into the tree trunk—a face beholding a world it could no longer see.

"Come on, Navi," Link urged gently.

Navi finally detached herself from the tree and fluttered towards Link, settling on his shoulder.

"I'll be okay," she assured him, though Link knew she was trying to be brave, just as he was. It would be a long time before either of them truly recovered, and the future remained uncertain.

With that, they left the meadow, the once vibrant vegetation surrounding the glen now withered and lifeless, leaving behind a mass of twisted branches, stems, and thorns. The trek out of the forest seemed to take longer than before, but it wasn't fatigue that burdened Link's steps. Instead, it was the weight of loss and his growing uncertainty about what lay ahead. He didn't notice that there were three fairies following him—Mori had joined her two companions in hushed conversation, their whispers carried away by the wind.

Mido stood at the path's end, pacing restlessly and casting anxious glances towards the meadow. As Saria and Link approached, relief washed over his face.

"Saria, what happened?" he asked anxiously before noticing Link's battered and bloodied appearance.

For a moment, Mido seemed too stunned for words.

"You stopped the curse, right?" Mido asked, the usual smug confidence absent from his voice. He looked to Saria for confirmation, but the surrounding fairies, including Navi, averted their gazes.

Saria removed her hand from Link's shoulder, her eyes meeting his in an unspoken plea for patience, and then she touched Mido's arm. He flinched at her unexpected touch, his anxiety heightened by the sombre atmosphere.

"What's wrong?" Mido demanded, his fear palpable. "Why are you all looking at me like that?"

Exhausted and reeling from the Great Deku Tree's passing, Link offered no response. A voice inside him urged him to leave and let Saria break the news, but he remained rooted to the spot, torn between emotions.

Saria sighed heavily, her voice barely above a whisper. "I'm sorry, Mido. Link stopped the parasites, but it wasn't enough. The Great Deku Tree didn't survive. The chill earlier was a sign of his passing."

Saria removed her hand from Link's shoulder. Her eyes met his in an unspoken command to let her handle the situation, and then she placed her hand on Mido's arm. He flinched at the unexpected touch, his anxiety heightened by the sombre atmosphere.

"What's wrong?" Mido demanded, his voice tinged with fear. "Why are you all looking at me like that?"

Exhausted and still reeling from the Great Deku Tree's passing, Link offered no reply. A voice in his head urged him to leave and let Saria break the news, but he remained rooted to the spot, torn between emotions. Saria shouldn't have to face this alone, but what could he possibly say?

Saria heaved a sigh, her voice barely a whisper as she spoke. "I'm sorry, Mido. Link stopped the parasites from spreading, but it wasn't enough. The Great Deku Tree didn't make it. The chill you felt earlier was a sign of his passing."

Mido's face paled. "You... what?" he stammered. "How... but..."

Mido's eyes narrowed, suspicion and judgement mingling with anger as they settled on Link.

"Link, leave. Now!" Navi hissed urgently.

"You were supposed to save him!" Mido exclaimed, his voice seething with fury. "What did you do? What did you do?"

Link remained silent, aware that no words could alleviate the situation. In the silence that followed, Mido's face flushed with rage as he reached his own conclusion. "You killed him, didn't you?"

"Mido, that's impossible, and you know it!" Saria broke in, her firm tone tinged with desperation. "Let Link be, and we can talk about this."

"How could you let this happen?" Mido retorted, turning on her. "I warned you he was different!"

Link's anger, a fiery serpent coiling within, lashed out. "It was too late for the Great Deku Tree!" he shouted, ignoring Saria's stern look. "I tried! So don't blame me, and don't blame Saria!"

He should have stopped there, but torn between anger and grief, Link couldn't restrain himself.

"What did you do?" Link spat. "You just ran away. You're a coward, Mido! A coward!"

"What did you call me?" Mido spat, his face darkening.

"Enough, both of you!" Saria said in a voice that warned she was reaching her limit. She stepped between them, grabbing Link's arm. "Link, go now. Mido, we need to talk."

Saria nudged him away from Mido, and Link, finally heeding Navi's frantic pleas, started walking away.

"Wait!" Mido shouted. "Don't just walk away. I want answers!"

Link didn't see Mido push Saria aside, causing her to stumble and cry out. The roar in his ears drowned out everything. He didn't see Saria fall. Suddenly, he felt Mido grip his arm like a vice, hard and painful. Link spun around, knocked Mido's arm aside, and shoved him back.

"Leave me alone!" he roared. Beyond them, Saria got to her feet.

"I want answers first!" Mido shouted. "What did you do?"

"Mido, that's enough." Saria's voice was stern as she tried to intervene, and it was clear to both she was getting frustrated. "We need to talk about this, but right now-"

"Stay out of this," Mido snapped, facing her. "I want to know what he did!"

Aware of Navi tugging at his collar, Link turned and continued to walk away, leaving Mido and Saria to argue. He'd barely gotten several steps when Mido's words caught his attention.

"I warned you, Saria! I told you there was something different about him. Something dangerous! Nothing good ever comes of strangers in the woods. I told you! Nothing!"

His words were met with a shocked silence, but before Link could even process what Mido was talking about, he heard heavy footsteps approaching.

"I haven't finished with you, murderer!"

Freak.

Coward.

Wimp.

Murderer.

As the bitter memory of Mido's taunts rushed into the forefront of his mind, Link's anger betrayed him, and the fire in his belly roared. He turned on his heels, ears ringing, saw Mido reaching for him, and swung his fist straight into Mido's face. It was a solid punch, his blow striking Mido's nose with a crunch. He knew a moment of regret as Mido recoiled, blood dripping onto his tunic. Then, before Link could seize his chance to flee, rage flashed across Mido's eyes, and the boy was on top of him, fists hammering at him.

Link stepped to the side with his arms crossed over his head to shield him from the blows. He kicked Mido's legs, hoping to topple him over. Mido grabbed him as he fell, pulling Link down until they rolled on the ground, clawing, punching, snarling. Mido's blows were wild and unfocused. Link was used to defending himself, so his efforts were more precise and practised. He came out of the brawl and quickly leapt to his feet.

"Link, stop it right now!" Saria yelled. "Mido, that's enough. Mido! Stop!"

Link turned to obey Saria's order, but before he could, Mido slammed his boot into Link's wounded leg. The younger boy cried out in pain, his already throbbing leg now a source of excruciating agony. Drawn by the commotion, a few Kokiri hesitantly approached. They didn't move to break up the fight, though several exchanged glances, wondering who should step in. Mido jumped towards Link, still in a grief-stricken rage, but he was too slow. Anticipating the attack, Link sidestepped Mido's lunge, allowing the boy's momentum to carry him forward.

Link's fury abruptly gave way to chilling horror, his breath catching in his throat.

"Oh no," he whispered, trembling. "What have I done?"

The world around him seemed to spin.

"Mido?" he gasped. The boy remained motionless.

Saria rushed to Mido's side, her gentle hands trembling as she checked for signs of life.

For a terrifying moment, Link feared the worst. It took him a moment to see Mori was still hovering above her fallen companion, her eyes fixed on Link with a mixture of anger and disappointment.

Link knew he must still be alive, or Mori would've collapsed by now.

"Saria, I... I didn't mean to go that far," he stammered, feeling sick.

Saria remained silent, her attention focused on Mido.

Mido's eyes fluttered open to Link's immense relief, a faint groan escaping his lips.

"What's going on here?" Forenz's voice cut through the tense silence, his words carrying a tone of authority. Clammy and shaking, Link thought he was about to be sick.

Forenz pushed through the gathered Kokiri, who parted easily to let him pass. His eyes fell upon the scene before him, his expression hardening with disappointment. Fado, Mido's closest friend, followed behind Forenz. Her eyes widened in horror as she discovered the source of the commotion, and she rushed to Mido's side with an anguished cry.

Link braced himself for Fado's inevitable outburst. He knew she would blame him, and he couldn't deny his responsibility.

"It wasn't his fault," Mori stepped in, raising her voice so those nearest could hear.

Link didn't look at Mori, though he was grateful for her defence. Instead, his gaze remained fixed on Saria.

He desperately sought reassurance from her, a sign that she didn't blame him.

"He's going to be okay, isn't he?" Link asked.

"Link, what happened?" Forenz said at last. Link nearly winced at the disappointment in those words. He couldn't help but think how much easier it would be if Forenz had just shouted at him instead.

"You have to believe me," Link pleaded, the words catching in his throat. He could feel the bile creeping up his throat, and he tried to swallow. "It's just..." He trailed off, unable to utter the truth he yearned to deny.

Sensing his struggle, Navi took charge. "The Great Deku Tree is dead," she announced for all to hear. "Mido thought Link was responsible. He's not."

A stunned silence descended upon the gathering of Kokiri as the news spread like wildfire. Their shocked expressions were more than Link could bear. One girl whimpered, another sobbed, and their friend moved forward to comfort them.. Others murmured to each other, exchanging hushed words with Saria that Link couldn't decipher through the pounding in his ears. Then, without another word, some of those Kokiri dispersed, heading towards the Great Deku Tree's meadow.

"He can't be," Forenz exclaimed. "Look-" he stammered in an unusual display of hesitation. Link, you've obviously had a nasty shock. Did something attack you? Was it more of those creatures?"

"What creatures?" someone demanded.

Link lacked the words or strength to tell Forenz that he wasn't making things up and that the acrid taste of sick was getting stronger.

"It's true, Forenz," Saria confirmed solemnly. "I was there..."

"Then you saw what happened?" Forenz asked, his eyes darting towards the Great Deku Tree's meadow as if hoping the group of Kokiri who'd just left would return and explain that this was all a terrible misunderstanding, that something had attacked Link and he was not in his right mind.

"I will explain later." It was clear to all that Saria would elaborate no further. "Forenz, help me get Mido to my house. Fado, come with me."

The remaining Kokiri watched Link as he stood there, staring at him with fear and suspicion. Even their fairies watched him. Nobody spoke, and the silence was deafening. At that moment, Link felt as though the entire forest was judging him for what he'd done to Mido and for failing to save the Great Deku Tree. Despite being surrounded by the Kokiri he'd grown up with, he felt utterly alone.

"It wasn't me," Link pleaded, desperately trying to find his voice, trying to find someone who would meet his eyes and not judge him as the others did. "You have to believe me. It wasn't me!"

Silence.

Nobody met his eyes. He searched for a friendly face but found none. Forenz and Saria were busy helping Mido, lifting him with utmost care. "Link, go home, now. I'll meet you there," Saria ordered, her voice devoid of its usual warmth.

"Navi, see that he gets some rest." "Listen to her, Link," Navi urged him. "Come on. There's nothing more we can do here." "But, Saria," Link implored, tears stinging his eyes. "I didn't mean it." "Go, Link!" Saria said sternly.

"Listen to her, Link," Navi urged him. "Come on. There's nothing more we can do here."

"But, Saria," Link implored, tears stinging his eyes. "I didn't mean it."

"Go, Link!" Saria said sternly.

Fado, eyes burning with anger, threw a venomous look towards Link, a gesture Saria didn't notice. Link didn't retaliate, knowing full well he deserved it.

Some of the Kokiri looked at him then, their eyes filled with fear and accusation. Unable to bear it any longer, Link stumbled forward, pushing through the gathered throng. The Kokiri parted like leaves scattering in the wind. He broke into a run before they could see the tears that traced his dirt-smeared face. Behind him, an outburst of questions erupted, directed at Saria and Forenz. At an order from the two, some of the older Kokiri moved forward to help keep the younger ones calm.

Link didn't watch them or turn back to see what was happening. He didn't run back to the sanctuary of his home. Fleeing as fast as his legs could carry him, he ran past his treehouse, the limbs of low-hanging branches whipping against his face. Roots and vines snatched at his boots, making him stumble, but he kept running, sweat mingling with the tears that blurred his vision.

When Link finally stumbled to a halt by the gnarled roots of a wide tree, he wasn't sure how long had passed since he'd fled the village. His limbs trembled uncontrollably, and his breathing raggedly. His legs gave out beneath him, and before he knew what was happening, the world became a swirling blur of noise and colours. Distantly, he heard Navi's frantic cry, and then the forest floor rushed up to meet him.

The next thing Link heard was Navi's concerned voice, her form shimmering blue against the dazzling canopy above. His mind was completely exhausted, his senses deadened by fatigue and the overwhelming emotions of the day. He lay there, staring listlessly at the violet sky, his thoughts drifting aimlessly.

At some point, Navi disappeared, and when she returned, several Kokiri accompanied her. Too exhausted and worn out, Link couldn't tell whether they were looking at him with fear or concern. They hovered around him, their voices a distant murmur.

His perception of the world became a blur of shapes and colours as he drifted in and out of consciousness. Dimly, he realised he was being carried. Eventually, they took him into the little lift that brought supplies up to his home and finally placed him on his small bed.

Link's memory failed him after that, and night had fallen when he finally regained consciousness. Someone had changed his tunic and cleaned his wounds. He was no longer covered in grime or gore. His memory returned slowly, and he vaguely remembered the chaotic events of the day—everything from Navi's arrival to the Great Deku Tree's plight and demise, as well as the fight with Mido.

As somebody sitting near the bed stirred, Link finally noticed Saria, her eyes red-rimmed and tired. Despite this, she still offered him a sad, reassuring smile.

"I thought you'd sleep until the morning," she said.

"Is Mido-" Link started to ask in a croaky voice.

"He'll be okay," Saria finished for him. "I gave him a sleeping draught. A headache will be the worst thing he has."

"I didn't mean to hurt him like that," Link confessed, regretting the memory. "You believe me, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Saria said, gently stroking the bangs off his damp forehead. "You're my friend, Link. I would never believe that you would intentionally hurt anyone."

"What about the others?" Link asked, his voice filled with uncertainty.

"I don't think it's sunk in yet," Saria admitted sadly. "I told them what happened, and some saw for themselves. Navi and I both said you were trying to help the Great Deku Tree."

"Do they think I did it?" Link asked, his voice trembling.

Saria shook her head, her voice hushed. "Of course not."

Link didn't completely believe her. He couldn't shake the feeling that some of the Kokiri still thought he was behind the day's terrible events.

"What did Mido mean by 'there was something odd' about me?" Link recalled, unable to banish the bitter memory. "That nothing good ever came from strangers in the woods?"

Saria's mouth twitched in a brief flicker of pain. "He didn't mean it. Grief and anger can make people say stupid things."

That did little to reassure Link; the words had struck a deep chord within him, reminding him of all those times he had wondered why he didn't have a fairy.

"Sa... will I turn into a skull kid now?" Link asked hesitantly.

"What?" Saria seemed startled by the question.

"Brynn told me that when some Kokiri do bad things, they turn into skull kids," Link explained, unable to hide his fear.

"I doubt he was being serious," Saria said with a faint hint of a laugh. "Brynn's always saying silly things. You should know that."

Link was too tired to argue, his eyelids drooping heavily. He mumbled an incoherent reply, and then the last hazy threads of consciousness dragged him towards sleep. He could hear the soft notes of Saria's ocarina as she played a soothing melody. It was a lullaby to chase away the terrors of the night, just like she used to do, bringing comfort and peace to his troubled soul.

~ 0 ~

Link slowly opened his eyes to the dim, predawn light filtering through his hut's small window. As he gazed up at the dark wooden ceiling, the previous day's events crashed back upon him, weighing heavily on his mind. It should have been the happiest day of his life. Instead, it had transformed into a nightmare, a day of loss and despair.

A wave of sadness washed over him, and he realised his eyes were damp again. His lower lip throbbed from the relentless chewing he'd unconsciously subjected it to. Turning onto his side, he lay numb, the steady beat of his heart echoing the turmoil within him.

He clenched his fist around the pillow, the urge to lash out at something gnawing at him. Then, like the distant echo of a song carried on the breeze, a faint sound reached his ears. He blinked, sensing something brush against his mind, a familiar, otherworldly presence. It reminded him of the strange power emanating from the Kokiri Emerald, and the distant melody evoked the forest nymphs of Saria's stories.

As quickly as it had appeared, the sensation vanished, leaving Link keenly aware of the silence that engulfed him. Unlike the usual symphony of birdsong, croaking frogs, and chirping crickets, the forest was eerily still. Even the gentle clatter of the wind chimes in the canopy above was absent.

Link's gaze fell upon the dark shape of his bag beside the bed. Again, he could sense that faint, almost inaudible hum. Reaching into the bag, he rummaged through its contents until his fingers brushed against the warm, smooth surface of the Kokiri Emerald. As he held it in his hands, he felt an ancient presence brushing against his mind as if a fragment of the Great Deku Tree lingered within the stone.

"Hello?" he whispered, feeling foolish. He recalled the Great Deku Tree's words about an ancient spirit dwelling within the emerald, and for a fleeting moment, he wondered if it could respond.

Silence.

"Stupid," he muttered to himself. "Talking to rocks and hoping they'll talk back."

"Link?" Navi called from somewhere close by. "What are you doing?"

Navi emerged from the folds of a clean green hat on the table. Her eyes were still red and swollen, a testament to her restless night.

"Nothing," Link lied, quickly tucking the emerald back into his bag.

Navi seemed to sense his deception but chose not to comment. "I was going to wake you if you didn't wake up soon. It will be light before long."

"How long was I asleep?" Link asked.

"A while," Navi replied. "Saria made sure the Kokiri didn't disturb you."

"Thanks," Link murmured, grateful for that small measure of peace.

He hesitated for a moment longer, reluctance filling his heart. Leaving his home didn't just mean abandoning the familiar comfort of his surroundings; it also meant facing the judgement of his fellow Kokiri. Despite Saria's reassurances, he was certain that Mido would spread his version of the events, painting Link as the one responsible for the Great Deku Tree's death.

Pushing aside these unsettling thoughts, Link began preparing for his departure. After eating a simple breakfast of fruit, he donned his gear and stepped out into the cool morning air. He descended the ladder, his feet sinking into the dew-damp grass, and cast one last lingering look at his home.

"Will I ever see it again?" he wondered, a pang of doubt tugging at his heartstrings.

"C'mon, Link," Navi whispered, urging him forward.

No one saw them leave, save for the odd bird and a fairy that neither Link nor Navi noticed.

The forest was silent, and all Link could hear was the steady thumping of his heart. When he reached the edge of the village, Link felt strangely relieved.

If anyone saw him, they didn't call out.

~ 0 ~

Link stood at the edge of the Lost Woods, his heart heavy with anticipation and fear. The wooden bridge before him marked the boundary of his home, leading to the vast, unknown world beyond. He took a deep breath, the cool morning air filling his lungs, and stepped onto the bridge.

As soon as his foot touched the wooden slats, the distinct crunch of boots on leaf litter echoed behind him.

"Link?"

Saria's voice pierced the stillness of the forest. He closed his eyes, shoulders slumping with a heavy sigh. He had hoped to leave without saying goodbye, to escape the weight of her sorrowful gaze, but it seemed fate had other plans.

Opening his eyes, he turned to face Saria, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"Fora told me she saw you leaving," she said. "I just wanted to say goodbye and wish you luck."

Link's heart ached, the thought of leaving her behind almost unbearable.

"I don't know how long your journey beyond the forest will take," Saria continued, her voice gaining strength, "but I'll be here if you need me. I'll be praying for you."

Link fought back the tears that threatened to spill over. "I'll be back... as soon as I give the stone to Zelda."

"I know, but I feel things are changing, Link," Saria said. "Not just because Father is gone. We don't know how long your journey will take... just..." She glanced at Navi, her eyes filled with unspoken emotions. "Look after each other, okay?"

Saria stepped forward, and they embraced. Her warmth soothed his troubled soul, a comforting reminder of the love and support he would leave behind.

"You're a good person, Link," she whispered. "Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Link swallowed hard, unable to find the words to express his gratitude.

"Take good care of the ocarina I gave you, won't you?" Saria asked, pulling away from the embrace. "I expect you to practise and be as good as me when you return."

"I will," Link said, his voice thick with emotion.

"When you come back, find me in the meadow," Saria said. "It's our little place, and no one will disturb us."

The Sacred Forest Meadow, nestled outside the Forest Temple, was their secret sanctuary, where they could escape the watchful eyes of the other Kokiri.

"I would like that," Link said.

They stood silently for a moment, the only sound of the gentle gurgling of the stream below. Link knew this was the time to leave, but his heart couldn't bear to say goodbye.

"I've always dreamed of going on an adventure," he said, looking far off into the trees. "Like one of the Great Deku Tree's stories. Now I'm on one..."

His voice trailed off, uncertainty churning within him. The recent tragedy had stifled the thrill of exploring the unknown, leaving him numb and unsure of his feelings.

"You'll be fine. I'm sure Navi will take good care of you," Saria said, stepping away from him. "Go on. You better get moving."

"Saria..." Link said hoarsely, his voice catching in his throat. "I..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Saria's voice cut through his hesitation. "Go, Link."

With a heavy heart, Link turned and ran across the bridge, not daring to look back. It took all his will not to burst into a fresh wave of tears, his heart aching with the weight of their farewell. Reaching the end of the bridge, he broke into a run and fled, not looking back.

~ 0 ~

On and on he ran, stumbling over the intertwining roots of trees as he sprinted beneath their branches. By the time he stopped running, gasping for breath, he realised the woods were more sparse, and dapples of sunlight broke through the thin canopy, enticing him to venture on.

"We must be close to the edge of the forest now," Navi finally broke her silence.

Link acknowledged her statement with an abrupt nod, determined to keep going.

"You okay, Link?" Navi asked hesitantly. He could hear the worry in her voice. "Do you need to rest for a bit?"

Link stopped walking and shook his head. "No, I'm okay."

Navi didn't look convinced. The sun had risen, and a cool breeze rustled through the leaves, carrying the scent of pine needles and damp earth with it. Beyond the forest, a vast expanse of rolling hills unfolded, a panorama of green grass dotted with rocky outcrops.

Navi followed Link as he stopped at the edge of the trees, staring out across the open landscape, unable to contain his surprise. He had always refrained from venturing to the edge of the woods, aware that it was forbidden.

"Why are there so few trees?" Link asked, his eyes fixed on the vast expanse of grassland.

"Not everywhere has as many trees as home," Navi replied as Link continued to gaze at this new and entirely alien world.

The lack of trees, the openness of the landscape, and the absence of the familiar shelter of the forest were all disorienting.

Drawing a deep breath, Link pressed on, stepping into an unfamiliar realm far from the sanctuary of his woodland home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.6K 825 30
You are a Guardian Spirit of the Lost Woods that takes on the form of a kitsune. You have spent countless centuries protecting the Sacred Forest Me...
459K 15K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...
377 37 30
Four children from Suburban Chicago, Illinois are transported to the land of Hyrule, a magical country beyond their imagination. In Hyrule, kings and...
11.1K 296 45
On a journey to save his sister, a boy is caught in a struggle older than the great sea. ====== One thousand years ago, the greatest hero of all Time...