How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~

1.2K 59 7
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 2:

Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker

~~**~~

I hid behind one of the shelves in the library as I spied on Archer Hastings.

I hadn't even known he existed before the mechanic mentioned his name.

Today was officially the third day I had followed him around school aimlessly without mustering up the courage to talk to him. From what I'd gathered, Archer didn't talk to anyone in school, he spent his lunch break in the library where he studied and ate his food in silence. 

Like he was doing right now. 

I watched as he took a huge bite from his apple and chewed slowly.

He normally had his air-pods fitted into his ears and he wore big oversized hoodies with the hood drawn over his head.

I knew I was borderlining on creepy stalkerish behavior now but I couldn't help it, just the thought of asking someone, particularly a stranger for a favor made me so uneasy that I felt like throwing up.

Come on Fallon. Woman up.

You need to stop being a coward.

I nervously adjusted the pink and black polka-dot bow I'd worn in my hair today for good luck.

I peeped at Archer again. He was wearing a maroon hoodie today, with the hood drawn so far over his head that I could barely make out his face.

The sound of my phone's ring tone had me nearly jumping in panic. I hastily answered the call and practically ran to the other end of the library where Archer wouldn't be able to see me.

I checked the caller ID and sighed. "Have I ever told you that you have awful timing?" I whisper yelled into my phone. "I almost got caught because of you."

Peyton's musical laugh answered from the other end. "I'm guessing you're still stalking that mechanic boy?" I could practically see her rolling her eyes. "Just go and talk to him."

"I'm not stalking him," I said defensively. "I just need to figure out a strategy before I can approach him." I sniffed.

Peyton sighed dramatically. "Then you can figure that strategy out while having lunch with me. This is the third day you're bailing on me during lunch break. You're officially dishonoring the best-friend code."

I shook my head and her antics and smiled. But I realized that she did have a valid point, there was no use in being here till I had a foolproof plan on how to approach Archer so I might as well salvage what was left of our lunch break and think about my next move.

"Okay fine. I'll be there in a second. Grab a turkey sandwich for me, will you?" I told Peyton as I ended the call and started walking towards the double doors.

I was lost in thought so I wasn't looking at where I was going. I ended up running headfirst into the wall. "Ouch!" I yelped, my hand flying to my burning nose. But when I finally raised my eyes to look up I realized that it wasn't the wall I had collided with, but a guy.

And not just any guy,

Archer Hastings.

"I'm sorry I wasn't looking," I said quickly and smiled awkwardly.

He just eyed me in silence. I watched as he took me in from head to toe. His eyebrows raised a tiny fraction in amusement at my appearance.

I wasn't surprised at his reaction. Usually, people were much less subtle about it.

From my bright ginger-colored hair and freckled face to my neon pink, knee-length dress, and purple leggings, I was sure that I was a sight to behold.

I always wore what I liked; bright flashy colors, bows, ribbons, silly hats, and anything with sequins on it.

I didn't care about the incredulous looks people gave me. I never felt self-conscious about being myself.

I gave Archer my brightest smile. "You're Archer Hastings, right?"

For a moment he was silent as he continued to study me. After what seemed like an eternity he finally spoke.

"I am." He answered. His voice was low and a little gravelly.

Now that we were up close I noticed how tall he really was. I barely even reached his shoulders and I was almost five foot six, which wasn't exactly short but I still had to tilt my head back to meet his gaze.

His hood had fallen back and his entire face was visible for once. He had a nice tan, his cheekbones jutted out at sharp angles and his nose was slightly crooked. His hair was dark brown and messy like he hadn't brushed it in days, and it flopped over his eyes, almost hiding them.

When my eyes met his, my breath hitched a little. His eyes were a dark shade of green at the borders which melded into a lighter green in the middle and then there was a ring of golden brown around his pupils.

"You have really beautiful eyes." I blurted before I could stop myself.

His head reared back in shock and I could feel the blood rushing to my face as my cheeks heated in embarrassment.

I wanted to slap myself.

Why on earth had I said that?

Oh my God, he's going to think I'm insane.

He took a step back so there was more distance between us before he finally spoke again. "Look. . ." his voice trailed off as he looked at me questioningly.

"Fallon. Fallon Chambers." I offered him my name with another small smile.

"Yes, look Fallon. I don't know why you've been following me around and watching me for the past three days but this needs to stop." He exhaled slowly before speaking again. "Frankly it's starting to get a little creepy." His voice was flat and cold, completely devoid of emotion.

I wanted to curl up into a little ball and die but I kept reminding myself how much I needed this.

How much I needed him.

So instead I straightened my shoulders and made sure my voice didn't waver. "I'm so sorry about that," I told him honestly. "I swear I'm not a creep and there's a perfectly reasonable explanation behind all of this."

He gave me a wary look. "Do you have a crush on me or something? If that's the case then I'm sorry but I'm not interested."

I could practically feel the color draining from my face in mortification.

This is slowly turning into my worst nightmare.

"No!" I quickly blurted out. "I can see why you would draw that conclusion but I swear that's not the case."

He looked at me, his expression still unnervingly blank. "Then please explain."

I took a deep breath before speaking. "I need your help with something." I finally managed to say.

His expression became guarded. "What do you need my help with?"

"My car," I answered quickly as I fished my phone out of my bag again. I scrolled through my gallery till I found the picture I was searching for. I held my phone up in front of him.

His eyes zeroed in on the picture. I could see the spark of interest in his eyes.

"1965 Ford Mustang, convertible." He murmured after a while.

I nodded eagerly.

"What's wrong with her?" He asked finally as his gaze turned to me.

I shifted from foot to foot nervously.

"Everything," I told him with a sheepish look before going into detail about the parts that needed to be fixed and the parts that needed to be replaced completely.

"So you want me to fix your car?" He questioned.

"Yes." I nodded eagerly.

He regarded me for a moment before answering in his same flat voice.

"No."

My smile faltered.

"I'll pay you," I added quickly but his expression didn't change.

I quickly tore a page out of my notebook and jotted down the same amount I'd given the mechanic earlier and practically shoved the piece of paper in his face.

His eyes languidly moved from my face to the piece of paper and then back to my face.

"This won't even cover the price of the parts that need to be replaced." He said pointedly. "You expect me to put days maybe weeks of manual labor into fixing this car for free?"

His words sounded harsh.

I could feel my heart sink.

"I'm sorry but this is all the money I can offer you." I gave him a hopeful smile. "Maybe I can compensate some other way. I can cook, and clean, I could do your laundry for the next month, or maybe I could do your homework or make your assignments?" I urged.

Anything to get out of here.

I would do anything if it meant I had a chance to start fresh.

"Just tell me what you need me to do and I'll do it," I told him with determination.

Archer's expression morphed into one of revulsion.

"I don't need anything from you." He said slowly.

He looked at me for a moment, his expression dark, eyes penetrating.

Then he turned and walked away without a second glance.

~~**~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 1.3K 58
Alison moved to a new town as her father got a new job, simultaneously, she decided to hide her dark past, starting a new chapter of her complicated...
4.8K 285 38
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚...
Luna By anya jayvyn

Teen Fiction

7.5M 328K 47
A bullied girl meets the popular new student. ***** "Still saying that you're perfectly okay?" Max whispers. I'm surprised to hear that his voice is...
REMINISCENT By

Teen Fiction

572 2 38
CHAPTERS EDITED☑️ "Do i remember?" I stare back confused "Do you remember..." she starts then looks down contemplating whether she should continue or...