The Curse Of The Alpha

By Midika

"So you're a virgin, then." He says it so blatantly it rattles me to the core. "No! I mean, would it matter i... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42

9

5.6K 238 10
By Midika

Word Count: 1357

~Meara

I stare at the food before me, arms folded over my chest.

"You can eat, you know," Carran exclaims, piling his plate full of breakfast foods right in front of me.

I have been subjected to a night here against my will. At this point I'm so desperate to get out of here that I will hear this man out. He clearly won't let me go otherwise.

"I'm ready to go home," I grumble, pushing the plate away.

Thankfully I told Sire I needed the day, so hopefully he hasn't noticed my absence. Knowing he is out there, capable of being chaotic and unpredictable while I'm gone makes me want to get out of here even more.

"Home as in your cabin, or home with him?" Carran questions.

"I don't like that you know where I live," I tell him sharply. He is my Alpha, and such a tone would usually be severely frowned upon, but I think this situation warrants it.

Carran leans forward. "Where is Sire staying?"

"I don't know. I'm not your spy anyways," I bite back.

Carran's lack of magic is widely documented, so he wouldn't be able to remove the glamour if he knew there was one in the first place.

It's not magic that would make Carran dangerous, but his power and influence over such a large number of people.

"We got off on the wrong foot, didn't we?" He paints on that fake smile that I imagine has fooled many people before.

"You drugged me," I growl. "I wouldn't say that has given me the best opinion of you."

"I apologise. Now, eat some breakfast. You can go afterwards." He motions down to my plate.

My stomach grows looking at all the food that his staff has laid out for us. It's so beautifully prepared and it would be a waste to let it all sit here like this...

"Fine," I concede, deciding on some pastries and fruit.

"I would like you to take a look at something, if that is alright?" He asks as he stands.

I nod mutely, now more invested in the food than anything he has to say. He steps from the room for a moment, and if there were no guards, I would probably use this chance to make a run for it.

He returns a small painting in his hand that he places in front of me.

"This is Sire with the Alpha at the time," he tells me, pointing at each figure depicted in the painting in turn.

I frown, looking closer. There is Sire, with his dark hair and tattoo's. Beside him stands a man I recognise as the founding Alpha. He's only called that because he absorbed Sire's old Pack once he was cursed.

"They were painted in the same portrait?" I look up at him, bewildered. From what I understand, they were enemies.

"They were friends, in their youth," Carran clarifies

"Really?"

Sire didn't mention that, although I suppose him and I haven't discussed much at all. I'm not entirely certain I want to know too much about him at risk of becoming attached...

"Yes. The two Pack's lived in harmony for a long time. Both shared resources, and people could visit between them with no issue," Carran tells me, falling into a chair right near me.

"What changed?" I ask softly.

"My ancestor at the time claims in his old diary that he was betrayed by Sire."

I stare down at the painting. Sire isn't smiling, which isn't a surprise. He seems to only show emotions rarely, and although he apparently was in the presence of a friend, he doesn't look that pleased.

"How so?"

Carran sighs. "He seduced his lover away from him."

"Oh..."

I wrap my arms around myself. I don't like the sound of that.

Sire may be very old, but he hasn't lived those centuries that have passed. He's emerged from the tomb in the same state he was when he reigned as Alpha and was apparently a terrible person.

I may not trust Carran, but Sire is so intent on seducing me...it's not a leap to assume he would seduce his enemies lover to cause him harm.

"Sire was the bolder, more attractive male. However my many greats grandfather talks about being jealous of him for a long time. When Sire seduced his mate one night, he swore revenge," Carran says, scowling down at the depiction of my mate.

"What was the revenge?"

"He swore he would either do the same to his future mate, or he would kill them." Carran's eyes darken for a second but he blinks it away.

I gasp, resting my hand over my chest. I'm glad this Alpha is very dead and cannot hurt me, but the thought is still frightening.

"That means he would kill me?"

Carran smiles tightly, although something haunts his eyes. He knows so much about this old story it feels as though he is has spent his life preparing for Sire to rise. Maybe every Alpha has had to train in the past.

"He's very dead," Carran assures me, although it doesn't soothe the strange feeling twisting in my stomach.

What is that?

"Right..." I shake it off, trying not to think about the conclusion my mind is drawing me towards.

What if Carran wants to do as his relative swore to? It's a haunting, but possible outcome.

"My point is, Sire was never trustworthy. Sure, my grandfather was a bit dramatic in his declaration, but it was Sire who broke the trust first," Carran says, turning the portrait to face him.

I narrow my eyes. This conversation is turning and I don't like it.

"That's one perspective," I growl.

"What occurred after was brutal and deadly. Far greater travesties went down between them, I assure you," he exclaims darkly, shuddering as if recalling the history offends him.

I shake my head at him. "I want to go home now."

Carran leans over, resting his hand over mind. I freeze at the contact, although I resist the urge to yank my hand away.

"Any time Sire makes you uncomfortable, you are very welcome here," he tells me lowly, a slow smile touching his mouth.

I frown, drawing my hand away. "Thank you, I guess."

Carran does allow me to leave his home to head back to my own apartment. I have to cross over the main city to get back to mine, which eats up a good portion of the day. By the time I return, I'm exhausted.

For the rest of the afternoon I try my hardest to relax, although everything that Carran revealed to me has perverted my way of thinking.

He may be lying to me, but what if he isn't?

Sire knocks on my door right as twilight stretches out across the land.

He immediately grabs both of my shoulders. "Thank the Angel's, you're here..."

"I was out with my friend," I tell him smoothly. I was planning out my excuse knowing Sire would have felt my absence. I just hope he hasn't done anything brash while I've been awol.

He frowns. "All night?"

"Yes. I usually do," I exclaim dismissively, wandering back into my living room. He follows me, dropping his head beneath the low arches.

"Come back to my house tonight." His voice is tight, strained.

"Only if you will be truthful with me about what I have to ask," I barter steadily. Carran wants me to send him back into the earth, and if Sire is dangerous, I may be willing to help him out.

Even if Sire is my mate...

"Of course. I would never lie to you," he breathes.

I just shrug. "I hope not."

"Come on, let me get you out of here." He holds his hand out to me.

Exhaling slowly, I slide my hand into his. I just hope I'm not going to regret this.

🤎••🤎

Hey guys! Thank you so much for reading (: I hope you all enjoy this story, and if you want to read ten chapters ahead you can on Radish!

Thanks for reading (:

~Midika 💜🐼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 106 18
I'm an angel and my story starts when I find my self alone in a forest, I can't remember anything about my past. For years I've fended for myself unt...
1.8K 46 28
"I despise you so fucking much that I want you to be sent off to the other side of the world, Athena." He takes his last step, his front pressing aga...
470K 23.3K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
2.3M 54.1K 34
"Please," I begged pulling on the man's arm that was wrapped around my torso, pressing me to him. I wanted nothing more then to be freed of his grasp...