Athalia Quinn

By greyyskiesss

Athalia Parker Quinn is a soft-hearted, bubbly 19 year old with an unsafe life. Levi Kingston is a grumpy... More

Authors note
1 - Lollipop
2 - Swingset
3 - Friend?
4 - Thunderstorm
5 - Raspberry
6 - Get In
7 - Party
8 - Mistake
9 - Hickey
10 - Forgiveness
12 - Movie
13 - Bobella
14 - Color
15 - Slow
16 - Aux
17 - Butterflies
18 - Goosologist
19 - Sunrise
20 - Mission
21 - Babysitting
22 - Boyfriend
23 - Trust
24 - Momma (Part 1)
25 - Dada (Part 2)
26 - Piggy
27 - Pancakes
28 - Nothing

11 - Apology

6.2K 129 46
By greyyskiesss

It's been a week and four days since I've last talked to Levi. He hasn't come into the diner, he hasn't texted me, nor have I texted him (that's right, I'm that strong), and I haven't seen him around anywhere.

I see those four guys more than I see him.

About every other day they come in, order vanilla milkshakes, call me names like 'gorgeous' and 'cutie' and 'pretty girl', then take off.

I pride myself on knowing their names.

River, Maxen, Nicolas, and Fisher.

River has blonde hair, he's the only blonde one of the group.

Maxen's hair is dark. He likes to act all big and tough. He calls me 'babe' sometimes.

I find Nicolas to be very funny. He has brown hair, like mine but darker. His eyes are also similar to mine, but his are more blue than green.

Fisher is the one who's face was all licked up by that girl at the party. He has 'strawberry blonde' hair. He gets upset if anyone describes him as a red head, or a leprechaun.

I would love to be a leprechaun. The cute green outfit, the freckles, the rosy cheeks, the luck, the gold; who wouldn't want to be one?

It's Wednesday, and it's rush hour at Dan's Diner.

The booths are filled, the counter where I usually work has not one empty seat, and Big D had to call Blake into work today. He also asked me to wait on tables, but since I apparently suck at that, according to Frannie, I just have to deliver the food and prepare anything behind the bar.

Blake touches my shoulder as he passes my back to grab the chocolate drizzle. He's cute, but I would never go for him. First of all, I'm pretty sure he's a crackhead and does drugs in alley's. Second of all, well, there is no second of all but I thought that there would be one.

"Table Three," I direct him, handing him two strawberry shakes. He hurries off, winking at me with a "You got it, hot stuff."

Oh yeah, that's my second of all. He says weird things to me.

There was one night where it was just us two, and he kept asking me if I was free any day of the week. I'd told him no many times, because I was selfishly scared about what my mom would do if she found out. He's stopped asking, but he still has that look in his eye whenever he looks at me.

He touches my hip as he passes again, grabbing napkins.

Lookie there, I have a third of all.

Third of all, he makes me uncomfortable.

I pull down my pink plaid skirt, thankful to have black tights on underneath. At least I'm not entirely bare.

Through the opening in the wall behind me, the chef calls for me to give a burger and fries along with chicken fingers and tater-tots to Table Seven. I grab it off the ledge, ringing the tiny bell for good measure, and hurry out to the tables when the chefs look at me with annoyed faces.

"Here you are!" I exclaim, setting their trays down then rushing back to grab another basket, this time filled with curly fries.

For the next thirty minutes or so, I'm speed-walking all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've given the wrong food to a few tables, but oh well. Food is food, and Dan's Diner is delicious so whatever you get is amazeballs.

Oh no.

What if I gave someone fries who is allergic to fries.

I've done it. I've killed someone.

"Three shakes to Table Nine," Frannie knocks on the counter to get my attention, telling me her table's order from memory. "Two vanilla with whipped cream and cherries, one with strawberry drizzle and the other with chocolate drizzle; one mint shake with no toppings."

She's off to her next customers instantly.

How does she memorize all that? Especially with all the other orders she's taken. She's definitely supernatural.

I don't even think I can memorize an order of fries with ketchup. I'd end up bringing them mustard.

I quickly start on the first shake, tongue poking out so I can focus. Vanilla, whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, cherry on top. I slide the glass to the side and work on the second shake. Vanilla, whipped cream, strawberry drizzle, cherry on top. That glass gets slid into the former while I start the last shake, which doesn't take me long since it is just mint.

I stab striped straws into each right when Frannie arrives to take them to her table. She checks it over before grabbing it, just in case I messed something up. To my surprise, she deems it good and is off.

Phew! I can't believe I got that all right.

Silverware clinks all around me while I work on getting through rush hour. It's almost seven, which means that the busyness should die down pretty soon. Still, there's only about two open tables.

Frannie comes up to the bar again, blowing a short strand of hair out of her face. "I'm not dealing with the bullshit at Table One, the Karen's are out of control. You got this one, babe." She moves behind the counter, already asking a seated woman what she'd like to order.

Okay. I got this. Be nice, and the Karen's will be nice.

I make my way to Table One to find three older woman with short haircuts and jewelry galore. "Welcome to Dan's Diner! I'm Athalia and I will be your server tonight—"

"Finally," one of them mumbles. She says to me, "You know, we've been waiting here for—" she checks the silver watch on her wrist, all but fuming, "—nearly eight minutes now without even being asked what we'd like to drink."

"I'm sorry about that, miss," I smile at her. "What would you like to drink?"

"We would all like sparkling water," the same woman orders for the rest of them.

Oh, boy. She's not gonna like this.

"I apologize," i start, "but we don't have sparkling water here."

"Like hell you don't," a different one snaps. She wears fat pearl earrings, and she sneers at me. "I'm sure you'll find some in the back."

"Actually, miss, whatever we have in the back can be found on the menu. If you don't see sparkling water on the menu, then I'm afraid you cannot order it."

The third woman leans over, loudly whispering, "What a bitch."

I pretend not to hear that. "Okay, I'll be back with waters."

I shuffle through tables and back to the counter, where I let out a breathe. Holy Hannah, I did not think I would be able to survive that one.

Frannie passes me and smiles at me gratefully before heading into the kitchen. Yeah, she's lucky I handled that so well. Dan's Diner is bound to get the best employee ratings ever 'cause of me!

I wipe down the mess on the counter, working around Blake who prepares a Cookies and Cream shake, which, let's face it already, is just Oreos and ice cream.

The chef calls through the window again for me to give Table Six their fries. When I turn back around, I'm met with a familiar face from behind the bar, and my heart skips a beat.

Stupid organ.

His dark hair is messy, yet somehow in place. His jaw is set, and those pretty eyes of his are on my face, glaring yet...not? Levi runs his tattooed hand through his hair.

Gosh dang, it looks so soft.

It felt so soft. I nearly forgot that my hands had once been tangled in his hair, pulling him closer to me even though we were basically as close as we could possibly get.

This was a mistake.

I tear my eyes away from him, focusing on Table Six and their fries. Can't make 'em wait for their fries. They're salty, crunchy, and so yummy. I'd be a devil if I didn't deliver the fries to them.

I know that he's following me. I know that he's having trouble getting his huge muscles through all the people. I'm slightly amused at that. Hehe.

I feel untouchable.

Woah, is this what power feels like?

Placing the fries down at Table Six, I notice that their glasses are empty. I remember one of them had apple juice, as it was a little kid, and the other was a Diet Coke. I decide to refill them just to keep myself busy, no extra charge.

When I turn, I find Levi practically on my back. I just about knock into that broad chest of his. I lift my eyes up to his. "Excuse me," I say sweetly, attempting to get through.

He blocks my path. "I need to talk to you."

"No," I say matter-of-factly. "You don't."

This time when I barge past him, he lets me. But that doesn't stop him from following after me again.

"Alia," I hear him say.

When I don't respond, moving behind the bar to refill the cups in my hand, Levi calls for me again, his voice all low and scary, "Athalia."

I best listen to him. But I don't. Can't keep Table Six waiting on their free refills, which I'm not supposed to give out.

Levi starts to walk behind the counter. Hey, employees only, bud!

"Ah-ah-ah," I stop him. "That's illegal."

I don't know if it actually is. But it should be.

About to leave from my safety behind the bar, Blake passes by me. He notes Levi, and his hand falls on my hip for a little too long. I watch Levi's jaw tick.

"Hands off, fucker," he warns, glaring at Blake.

I roll my eyes, albeit thankful that Blake was no longer touching me. I move past Levi, swiping a tray of food off the ledge from the kitchen to drop off at Table Eight.

He, once again, follows me around the diner. He's at my shoulder when I drop off the refills. He's at my shoulder when I give Table Eight their tray. He trails me like a lost puppy, saying my name at least fifteen times.

"Athalia," he says again, growing very annoyed. "Fucking talk to me, Athalia."

I turn around to face him. I have to crane my neck to look him in the eyes. "I don't want to be another one of your mistakes," I tell him honestly, harshly.

Frannie, evidently overhearing what I said, high-fives me as I pass her. I don't turn to see the glare Levi no doubt gives her, but I do see the one that she returns to him.

I stop three feet behind the counter, so that I'm in reach of him, but he can't get me without committing the crime of going behind the bar. Ha, in your face, Levi!

Gorgeous face, I shouldn't add.

His eyes are narrowed at me. "Let me talk to you."

I hand him three glasses of water that I forgot to give to the Karen table. Oops, that certainly won't go well.

He takes them, confused. "Table One," is all I say before I move further back inside the safe space of the bar.

He stares at me for a minute with a You've got to be f(bad word)ing kidding me.

I shrug. "You want to talk to me, then go give Table One their waters."

A part of me feels bad for the way I'm acting towards him. But, in my defense, he's the butthole for telling me I'm a mistake, and I'm only helping his words remain true. I'll expect a Thank you so much, Athalia, you're the most amazing person alive and definitely not a mistake card soon.

Begrudgingly, Levi goes off to give the Karen's their glasses. Oh man, I am so excited to see this!

Noticing that Frannie is near me, I grab onto her sleeve and pull her towards me so she has a view of Levi approaching the Karen's.

"Hell yeah," she grins.

The Karen with those fat earrings has her mouth open before Levi can set down the drinks. He all but tosses them onto the table.

That is not server etiquette, Mr. Pretty.

He starts walking away, but the Big-Earring Lady erupts out of her seat, stopping him in her tracks. I can sense his glare, even from this far away.

"You take ten minutes to give us our mother-freaking drinks," she yells, "which aren't bubbly, and now you refuse to take our order?! What in the hell kind of service is this?!"

Levi stands there dumbly. I see his shoulders shrug. Aw, now I feel bad that I set him up for that.

I rush over to him, slipping past all the people who are now focused on the angry Karen. I take hold of his arm, smiling kindly at the Karen. "We are so sorry, he's new. I think he's getting fired soon, so you don't have to worry about him anymore. In fact," I look up at Levi, who's glancing down at me with amusement, his lip quirking up in a tiny smile, "I think I should bring him to the manager right now!"

"You better, young lady," Karen states. She sits back down, apparently forgetting that her and her friends still haven't gotten their order taken.

"Get you're fuckin' sparkly waters at the gas station 'cross the street," Levi grumbles at them.

After flicking his shoulder, I bring Mr Pretty to the employees room so we don't have to listen to the Karen's female dog fit.

Shutting the door behind us in attempt to muffle the loud noises of the busy diner. My arms cross as I wait for him to talk. "Well?"

He takes a step closer to me, backing me against the door. My breath gets caught in my throat as he gently takes a strand of my hair and begins to play with it.

Aw.

No, I'm not happy with him.

I don't make him stop, though.

"I'm—fuck," he doesn't meet my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"For?" I ask, knowing exactly what for.

"For saying that it was a mistake," he admits. "It wasn't, Alia, it wasn't at all."

My anger slowly fades away at how cute he is, at how good his apology was when clearly he doesn't apologize often. "Then why did you say that?"

"Because," he finally looks at me, "I didn't—I don't want to hurt you."

I think this is the most he's ever said to me. He must be sorry, then.

"Okay," I say.

"Okay?" He asks.

"I forgive you." I take his hand off my hair so that he's not touching me. I make him take about two steps back. "But we're going to have to start over, because you did hurt me."

He doesn't know what I'm saying, because his eyebrows are pulled together in confusion.

"Hello, sir, I'm Athalia!" I greet, holding out my hand for him to shake it.

Slowly, he does. But he shakes his head at my name.

I roll my eyes, and try again. "Hello, sir, I'm Alia!"

He approves with a little smirk.

I ask, "What's your name?"

He makes a face that tells me he thinks that this is the stupidest thing ever. But I glare at him, and apparently that makes him play along.

"Levi."

"Nice to meet you, Levi Kingston," I say as straight-faced as I can, but I giggle a little when his eyebrows shoot up like Oh? at his last name.

"A fucking pleasure," he says, raising my hand to his lips.

I bite the inside of my cheek when his lips brush against my knuckles, cheeks reddening. "No cursing," I say softly, still feeling his light kiss even after he's pulled away.

He smirks at me.

"Okay, well," I begin, flustered at his attractive smile, "I work here, so I have to get back to it, but I'll see you around, yeah?"

He shakes his head at the ridiculous game we are playing, but I don't think it's ridiculous. I think it's very not dumb-butt of me at all.

Levi reaches past me to open the door for me.

I put a hand on my heart. "Aw, thank you. But ladies first."

I motion for him to go through.

Well, would you look at that! His world-famous glare has returned.

His glare zeros in on my cheek, where a faint scar lays. He lifts his hand to brush his thumb over it, carefully, softly. "The fuck is this?"

"My bad-butt scar," I say. Duh. "You like?"

He doesn't smile, continuing to glare at it like it'll go away. "Why do you have a scar, Alia?"

"Funny story." He gives me a look that suggests it's probably not funny, but I continue anyway. "Y'know when walls have sharp corners? Well I tripped, and scraped my cheek on that gosh dang sharp corner. I stubbed my toe, too."

He makes an unsurprised face.

I poke his shoulder, just like old times, then hop back into the busyness of Dan's Diner, glad to have the subject off my scar. Only it's not nearly as busy at before. The Karen's are gone, and only about two tables of customers remain.

I force Levi to help me clean, allowing him behind the counter to wipe down the messes I've made after a lot of convincing.

Not for him to come behind the counter, but for me to let him. It took me about five minutes to debate whether or not I should.

When he gives my arm a quick brush of his fingers whenever he passes, I figure I've made the right choice.

Authors note

Please ignore the INSANE amount of times i used the word "behind" in this chapter ;D

It's currently 1 in the morning. I have to get up at 3 to go to the airport. Am I still gonna start another chapter? Duh

Edit: After noticing comments saying this chapter is alike the story Lilah, I read the part in Lilah and agree it does seem like I've copied it, so I rewrote this chapter a little. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! 

And I did not know that Grey's last name was also Kingston, lol, that is COMPLETELY coincidental. 

Forgive, but never forget.

If you enjoy, please vote and follow.

Thank you for reading<3

Word count: 3040

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 7 17
Emma had the normal life. She has planned everything that happened in her 17 years of life. On the first day of her college, she does not expect to r...
527K 27.6K 35
Legit "For Chase, somewhere between fighting back and giving up, along came Levi." WARNING: Loads of swearing. Not edited. Copyright by Namukotak.
130 3 9
Alex[18m] is your typical average highschooler; hangs out with friends does schoolwork and has a job. Tony [22m] Is your average 22-year-old, fresh o...
353K 8.8K 62
She's rich, the perfect student, and graduating early. He's a heathen, a heartbreaker, and well he may never graduate... These all might be true, but...