Charming by Haig Moses (1st D...

By theauthorthatcould

❝ I know two things: you're no prince charming and I'm not in distress. ❞ When Harriet Wright-Cooper follows... More

Copyright & Disclaimer
Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Index

Chapter Thirty-Seven

1 0 0
By theauthorthatcould

NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

The conservatory was a mansion of glass. Inside was filled with people and plants that I was sure would be the only beings to hold my secrets for eternity. As I walked through the trees and plants I could feel people watching me. When I was waiting for Louis there had been so many phones pointed in my direction I just knew about a million different videos had been posted of me thus my introduction to social media began. The chattered continued until I saw him again.

    Gideon smiled at me from a nook in the conservatory and set his book down. "Look who I find wandering the aisle like a sappy poet in love," he gleams. "Why the long face."

    I shrugged unable to put into words that the guy I had traveled thousands of miles for had publicly ignored me and I'd just seen my father for the first time in sixteen years. So, instead I settled with a simple, I'm fine and found my place beside him.

    "You are so far from fine it's ridiculous," he shot. "I know I'm practically a stranger and you owe me no explanation, but I found sometimes it's easier to talk to a stranger. We have a more object view of things."

    I chuckled and looked down at my hands as the words began to fall out of my mouth. I spoke of my mother and getting into Harvard. I told him about Kappa and everything that I'd done in there. I told him about the missing girls and my dreams and nightmares. I even divulged into the parts about Alexander and Louis, my adoptive parents lying to me and everything about Elliot, Tatiana and Inez and Prathana. I talked until I had nothing left inside of me and my entire life's story was sitting in front of us rusted and bear for the taking. When I finished I was slightly out of breath and even more than that terrified of the judgement that would be coming my way. My eyes darted down to my hands and I took a breath.

    Gideon's feet shuffled before he finally said. "Wow."

    "That's all you have to say?" I snapped looking up. "After all of that, the only thing you have to say is—"

    "You want to go get a drink?" he cut me off.

    My mouth fishtailed. "What?"

    Gideon smiled. "Do you want to get a drink?" he repeated. "It really seems like you need one and honestly I'm tired of studying." Still unable to find my words Gideon said once more, "Okay, well why don't you think about it, but there's a bar right across the street from here. If you're interested meet me there and I'll be happy to tell you my thoughts about your dilemma and you can pick my brain for some other things if you'd like."

    Packing up his things Gideon disappeared beyond the plants.

    I took a moment to myself. Softly smiling and for a moment I thought maybe this is what I needed to come to England for to break free from Louis. To get closure. Maybe I wasn't supposed to be with him, but get over him.

    Swallowing, I'd made up my mind, Squaring my shoulders I looked around and noticed how empty the conservatory had become and quiet. "Gideon?" I called out as I heard nearing footsteps. Walking over to the place he disappeared. "Gideon are you—"

    "Who's Gideon?" My body froze as I turned the corner and saw Louis standing there before me.

    His eyes were lightened and there was a smile playing on his face as he watched me intensely. "You're here."

    "You're here," he smiled taking a step closer to me. "What are you doing here?"

    "I came to see you."

    Louis looked down, his lips pursing. "What for?"

    My mouth opened and closed and my mind  tried to find the words to fill his silence. "Because."

    "Because..."

    "Because, I wanted to see you."

    He exhaled. "But did you come here... What did you come here for Harriet?" he asked. "Is this a goodbye or is it... Are we okay?"

    I stood before him and exhaled. "I don't know."

    He breathed out a hiss. "Harriet."

    "I came here because I want to know you," I said taking a hold of his arm. "I wanted to know this you and I want—I want to try."

    His smile reappeared and he took a step closer to me. "You want to try?" I nodded and smiled finally ripping across my face as he took me in his arms and giving him the permission his eyes yearned for Louis kissed me solidly and passionately. If it hadn't been for his own self control I would've stayed in this moment forever. The past and the future forgotten and with only me in his arms.

    When Louis pulled away from me his lips were raw and my hand was entwined in his as he pulled me through the conservatory. "Where are we going?"

    "You'll see," he called back to me as we left the glass mansion and into a black town car.

    As soon as we get inside his lips were on mine again. Tiny trickles of laughter spilling from my lips as his whispered love notes against my skin. Things like 'don't ever leave me again' and 'do you know how much I missed you'. I kissed him back allowing myself to follow the advice given to me of letting go.

    When the car stopped, Louis released me with hungry eyes and whispered. "Don't move, I'll be right back."

    Nodding the car door opened and Louis stepped out straightening himself. I watched from the tinted windows as he greeted the crowd shook hands with the people standing in front of a covered statue before he pulled a string shook more hands and was back inside the car.

    The driver drove us through London until we were pulling up to Kensington Palace, my face growing a little red as the memory from my last visit here. "Welcome to my home," Louis whispered in my ear as we drove through the black iron gates and pulled into a car ride.

    The door was opened and we stepped out, Louis pulled me through the palace with a haste that only made me laugh and run out of breathe. "Keep up," he grinned pulling me to him as we climbed the stairs and kissed me once again as we ascended. Though when we reached the top someone cleared their throat and Louis and I almost toppled down as a man with a thick mustache and black suit stared down at us. "Albert, do I need to get you a little bell or something."

    "That would seem unnecessary sir," he stiff man said eyes watching from me to Louis, then back to me. "Your mother would like a word with you... immediately and privately."

    Louis looked back at me and took my hand in his with a newfound vision. "Alright," he said once again pulling me through the halls. My eyes tried to take everything in, but there was so much happening in a short span of time I could barely wrap my mind around the fact that I was her much less with Louis.

    "Louis," I called. "I can wait somewhere if you want."

    "That's ridiculous. This is a good a time as any for you to meet mother," he smiled back at me. "You know how to curtsy right?"

    My mouth fishtailed because no. No I didn't know anything about curtsying or addressing royalty. I already had a feeling that calling a prince by his first name was a big no-no in royalty already. The only knowledge I had was from Disney films and I was already debating how accurate those were in preparing anyone for meeting real royalty.

    Louis stopped at a large white double door and turned back to me cupping my face in his hands and kissing me again. "Hey, don't be nervous. She'll love you."

    With nothing else to do, I nodded as Louis opened the doors and walked right in with me behind him. The room was large and grand like the rest of the palace and settled in a like hues of blues and off whites. Then seated at the large white desk was a woman, slim and firm. She seemed to hold no happiness in her face, but her brilliant green eyes told me it was her son I was standing beside who she had fixed her face for. "Mother, this," he took my hand and pulled me forward. "Is Harriet Wright-Cooper. Harriet, this is my mother, Lady Caroline, Duchess of Oxford."

    I smiled and fumbled into a half curtsy half bow mix that I knew immediately was completely wrong. "It's a pleasure to meet you," I said, but it seemed my voice was lost to the wind.

    The woman stood from her desk, heels clicking against the polished wooden floor as she neared us before watching me and ironing on a smile. "Please, don't ever do that again," he said then turning to her son. "Now if you don't mind I'd like to have a word with my son."

    My throat tight, I knew words wouldn't come out of my mouth so I nodded the best I could before slipping my hand from Louis and exiting the office. The doors closed behind me and I leaned against the wall to catch my breath. "It's not always like that," I looked up to see a many watching me from across the hall. He was tall and lean, much like Louis he held a sense of importance, however while Louis' was more inviting. I had the feeling that much like Louis' mother, he thought I was below him. "Prince Edward of Wales."

    I nodded. "Harriet Wright-Cooper."

    "I know who you are," he said taking a step closer to me. "We all know who you are." After a pause, a smile ripped across his face and he curtsied to me as if to show me the proper way it was supposed to be done. "I'll see you around Miss Cooper."

    Swallowing, I watched as Edward disappeared down the corridor as Louis exited his mother's office. The feeling around him bit heavier as he neared me. "Is everything alright."

    He kissed me again and when he pulled away he seemed light. "It is now," he said. "So, what should we do first?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 64.6K 59
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
1.4M 34.1K 46
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
1.4M 125K 44
✫ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐆𝐞𝐧'𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐚 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎ She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful...