𝒜fterglow ୨୧ katniss everdeen

بواسطة lesfolklores

𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚐𝚕𝚘𝚠 | ❝ it's the things we love most that destroy us. ❞ ▌ 𝚒𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑, beatrice grey is i... المزيد

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐆𝐋𝐎𝐖
o. ─── playlist
˚ ༘ ೀ⋆ ACT ONE ─── catching fire
i. ( thrown back to the wolves )
iii. ( hope )
iv. ( making friends, i see )
v. ( a good team )
vi. ( the moon )
vii. ( the beginning of the end )
viii. ( lamb to the slaughter )
ix. ( the first day )
x. ( wreath of toxin )
xi. ( jealousy, jealousy )

ii. ( angel of death )

2.3K 153 38
بواسطة lesfolklores

[002]  angel of death
❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

BEATRICE DIDN'T KNOW how long she was sitting in the field of grain. Her eyes were closed and her fingers ran through the stalks as the wind blew through them. She cherished the moment of peace before she had to return to her life.

Just for a minute, she pretended going back into the arena wasn't her reality. She pretended she was a regular nineteen year old, with a regular job and a regular life. She wondered what her life would have been like if she had never been chosen for the games. Would she still be a grain plower? Would she have a girlfriend? Would she be happy?

Someone walking towards her is what pulled Beatrice out of her trance. She sighed before opening her eyes to see who the figure was; Vaughn. He sat down next to her, not saying anything, just taking her hand in his own. They both watched the sun fall and the moon rise. She hadn't realized silent tears were running down her face until now. If Vaughn noticed, he didn't say anything.

After a few minutes, he simply said, "I'm sorry." Beatrice's eyebrows furrowed, "What are you sorry for? It's not your fault, it's Snow's." She said with a scowl. "I know it's not my fault. I just wish I could take your place in the games. You don't deserve to go back in, you're just a kid." Beatrice let out a disbelieving laugh. She didn't feel like a kid. She feels like she's lived five lifetimes and God was just dragging out her misery.

"Come on, let's get you back to your sister. She's probably run herself mad looking for you." Vaughn states and drags her up from the ground. They made the short treck back to the victor's village. Vaughn led Beatrice through the front door of her house.

Maeve rounded the corner at the sound of the door opening and pulled her sister into a tight hug. Beatrice let out the sob she had been holding back. She felt like a child again, like when she cried in her sister's arms after their mother died. Maeve just held her in her arms and stroked her hair.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Bea." Maeve said, pulling back. She wiped the tears off of her little sister's face. It was no use though, sobs still wrecked through Beatrice's body. Maeve lead Beatrice upstairs and to her room. That night Maeve held Beatrice while they slept, just like they did when they were children. For all they knew, this would be the last time.

"Welcome, welcome to the seventy-fifth annual Hunger Games, District Nine." Venus Castillo said, the escort of their district. His voice was missing it's usual upbeat nature. Beatrice tuned out the summary he gave of the Hunger Games' history.

Beatrice was standing on the reaping stage, to the left of Venus. She was the only one on this side. She stared out into the distance, eyes unfocused. The crowd was downcast, feeling for the victors. Beatrice knew that if she found her sister in the crowd she would immediately break down crying. She did not want to seem weak, especially if she was one of the youngest victors. She needed allies.

"As you all know... ladies first." Venus said and gave a sorrowful glance to Beatrice. She just nodded her head. He reached into the bowl, which only held one slip of paper. Everyone in the district knew what name was written. "Beatrice Grey." The girl stepped forward next to Venus.

"Now for the gentlemen." Beatrice's hands were now shaking. Her fate was already decided before today, but she hadn't thought of the male victors at all. This made her feel a wave of guilt for her selfishness. Thatch was like a father to her. Beatrice's dad had passed away when she was young, leaving little to no memories of him in her mind. Thatch filled that void, giving her comfort on her hardest days. But on the other hand, Vaughn had taught her all she knew. He was the reason Beatrice survived the games. She had decided going into the games with either of them would be equally as horrifying.

"Thatch Norin." Venus called out. Beatrice finally let a tear slip, looking over and making eye contact with him. She quickly turned her head away and wiped the tear.

"I volunteer as tribute!" Vaughn's voice boomed out. Beatrice whipped her head back around so fast that she was surprised it didn't rip off. Thatch tried to stop Vaughn by gripping his hand, but Vaughn shook him off, making his way to Venus' other side.

"Now you two shake hands." Venus told the tributes. Beatrice stuck her hand out but Vaughn pulled her into a hug.

"I give you the tributes of the third quarter quell, Beatrice Grey a-and Vaughn Dalan." Venus said, his voice cracking.

Two peacekeepers came over and lead them towards the train. Beatrice's eyes widened, "No! I need to say goodbye! Maeve!" She struggled against the peacekeepers grasp, trying to fight her way to her sister. The peacekeeper hit her on the back of the head with his whip and she only saw darkness.

"I want you two to forget everything you know about the games. Last year was child's play. This year you're dealing with all experienced killers." Haymitch says, standing next to the television screen. He looked to Katniss and Peeta, who sat on the couch.

"What does that mean for us?" Peeta asks him.

"That means you're going to have to make some allies." Haymitch said, directing the statement towards Katniss. He knew she wasn't very good at making friends.

"Ok, I think that if we-" Peeta began.

"No." Katniss simply stated, cutting Peeta off. She gave Haymitch a look.

"Look, you two are new here. Most of the people have been friends for years." Haymitch explained, trying to convince Katniss.

"That just puts us higher on their kill list." Katniss reasoned.

"Do it your way, but I know these people. You go in alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you." Haymitch states.

"Katniss, come on." Peeta says, giving her a pleading look. Her gaze shifts between the two men.

"How can we even trust each other?" She asked.

"It's not about trust, it's about staying alive." Haymitch replied. He was now jumping into the reaped victors.

"District One, Cashmere and Gloss. Brother and sister. Won back to back games, Capitol favorites, lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." Haymitch said, giving them a warning. Katniss and Peeta gave each other a silent look.

"District Two, the other half of the career pack. Brutus and Enobaria." Haymitch pointed. The screen shows Enobaria baring her fangs.

"What's up with her teeth?" Katniss noticed they were filed, making them as sharp as knives.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out." Haymitch simply said.

"She dedicated, I'll give her that." Peeta said. Katniss shot him a look.

"District Three, Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters, but brilliant. And... weird, real tech savvy. He won by electrocuting six tributes in his games." Haymitch remarked.

"District Six, the Morphlings, masters of camouflage. Basically won their games by hiding, have been self-medicating ever since. I applaud, not a threat." Haymitch said.

The screen flashed and a bronze-haired man came on. "Finnick Odair, right?" Katniss asked, testing her memory.

"Yes, District Four. He won his games at age fourteen, youngest ever, extremely humble." Haymitch said with sarcasm dripping in his voice.

"You're kidding..." Katniss asked.

"Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's the Capitol darling, they love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled in combat, especially in water."

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta asked.

"Two, the older lady, her name is Mags. She volunteered for Annie. Mags was his mentor, basically raised him. If he's trying to protect her in any way, it exposes him."

"I doubt he'll protect her when it gets down to it, though." Katniss remarked a bit rudely.

Haymitch gave her a look, "Well, when it gets down to it, I hope she goes when she does. She's a nice lady." A guilty look crept onto Katniss' face and she hung her head.

"What about the other weakness?" Peeta asked, trying to change the subject.

"Ah, yes, District Nine." Haymitch switched the screen. A certain blonde appeared. She had a stone cold look on her face.

"Isn't that Beatrice Grey? She won a few years ago." Katniss asked, studying the girl. She had to admit, Beatrice was beautiful.

"Yes it is, the Angel of Death herself." Haymitch remarked with a smirk.

"Angel of Death? Why do they call her that?" Peeta asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Yes, Caesar made that up. He said that it was because she was beautiful but deadly. No one would have guessed she was going to win based on her timid look. In her games, Beatrice hid in the grain fields, her natural habitat, and snuck up on other tributes. She slit their throats when they weren't looking or stabbed them through the heart. She also set traps with poisonous snakes she was familiar with and killed that way too." Haymitch explained in detail.

Katniss and Peeta's eyes widened. They were silent for a few seconds. "How does she know Finnick, though?" Katniss asked.

"After she won her games, he took her under his wing. They've grown very close through the past couple years. She even visits District Four to see him and Mags sometimes." He explained to the teens.

Haymitch continued, "I highly advise that you either become allied with her or stay far away from her. She is extremely smart and dangerous, but also loyal. If you ally with her, she'll protect you. But if you don't, she won't hesitate to kill you."

"Any idea of how to approach her?" Katniss asked. Haymitch was slightly taken aback. Katniss made it very clear that she didn't want allies but he was happy that she changed her mind.

"Well, me and her go way back. We met at her victory party. Since she likes me, she'll like you two. She's a very kind girl though, very caring. I don't want to watch her go." Haymitch says sadly.

Katniss and Peeta exchange a look. They need to be allied with Beatrice Grey.

MIRA SPEAKS :: sorry this chapter is kinda shitty i rushed it... but we got some gay katniss content so that's good!

btw i also have a finnick book if u wanna check it out :))

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

45.3K 1.1K 22
❖ Book 2 of 3 ❖ 【 Slow burn fanfic 】 ║ Catching Fire Reimagined║ It's the year of the 75th Annual Hunger Games. Isla Dunne, victor of the 73rd Hunger...
148K 5.1K 19
"𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘥, 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘯" "𝘪 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘣𝘢𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘵" Hunger games F...
146K 5.2K 90
SUN | HUNGER GAMES | JOHANNA MASON "𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘪𝘯 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘶𝘱 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘐 𝘨𝘶𝘦𝘴�...
7.5K 202 21
↳ ❝ 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒 ... 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐌𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐁𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐒. ❞ The caverns of her dark soul w...