𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐍 (2)...

By Lupins_Boy1710

- in which 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐅𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐎𝐑 𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐇, protégé to Professor Minerva McGonagall, starts her care... More

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐍 - precis
GOBLET OF FIRE
𝐈. 𝐀 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞
𝐈𝐈. 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫
𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐞
𝐈𝐕. 𝐁𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞𝐬
𝐕𝐈. 𝐀 𝐓𝐫𝐢-𝐖𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐢𝐨𝐧
𝐕𝐈𝐈. 𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐝
𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐖𝐞 𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐬
𝐈𝐗. 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰
𝐗. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐘𝐮𝐥𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐥𝐥'𝐬 𝐁𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬
𝐗𝐈. 𝐓𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧
𝐗𝐈𝐈. 𝐎𝐥𝐝 𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬

𝐕. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐎𝐟 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐂𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭

944 27 18
By Lupins_Boy1710

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"... Professor? Professor Finch? Edith?"

Edith blinked, eyes darting over to where Hermione stood beside her, a hand on her shoulder and a worried frown on her face.

"Hermione! Sorry, I think I spaced out for a bit." Edith smiled slightly, blinking away the dull headache behind her eyes, rolling her shoulders and straightening out her jacket.

Hermione, however, didn't seem overly convinced. "I've been calling your name for the last two minutes. The class is starting, are you sure you're alright? You looked... really out of it."

Edith looked around, seeing an empty hallway. They stood outside the door to McGonagall's classroom, standing just outside the ajar door.

"It's the nerves. I didn't get that much sleep last night. I've... been worrying about the tournament, actually." Edith shook her head. "Nevermind that, come on. Let's not keep Minerva waiting any longer, hm?" The woman placed an arm on her shoulder, smiling at her before they walked into the classroom.

Hermione smiled back, but it was forced. She'd always had a tendency to worry about the people around her more than herself, or so her dad had said once.

"Ah, Miss Granger, Professor Finch. Nice of you to finally join us. Miss Granger, take your seat please." McGonagall watched them over her spectacles, but Edith shrugged apologetically, letting her arm fall from Hermione's back as she nodded, quickly finding a seat beside Harry and Ron.

Edith moved to the Professor's desk, taking her wand out and holding it between her palms, settling in as McGonagall began her lesson.

"Today, we will begin with the Colour Changing Charm. To follow along with Professor Finch's explanation, would all of you please turn to page ninety-five in your textbook." McGonagall requested, taking a seat and picking up a quill, beginning to scribble on a piece of parchment she was working on.

Edith pushed off of the desk, coming to stand at the front of the rows and rows of desks, watching as the fourth years flicked through their books, eventually, they found the desired page, holding it open and looking back up at the Professor, who now had a petite, ivory owl on her arm.

The girl swallowed, clearing her throat. "The incantation for this charm is quite simple. Colovaria. Be sure to emphasis the 'ree' sound near the end of the word. The good thing about this spell, is that the name is extremely close to what the spell actually affects. The 'colour' of something."

The class were silent, and someone coughed. Rhea trilled to herself. Edith's eyes flickered over to the trio, who were urging her on with small gestures and reassuring smiles.

Edith continued, pushing through the awkwardness she felt. Teaching in front of just McGonagall or a first year class was easier than teaching in front of an older class by herself. Were they bored? What if they didn't listen to her? Would McGonagall think her incompetent?

No, she just had to keep talking, the more fun she made the lesson, the more they would want to come back. The more they would respect the brilliant subject she had devoted her education to.

Edith wished she had asked Remus how he made it look so easy, but that was a subject for her next letter.

"Uh... well, what's fascinating to me, is that the spell doesn't need any actual word accompanying the incantation to change what it does. Turning this sweet owl luminous green requires the same incantation than if I wanted to make it a shade of purple. Like this,"

Edith raised her wand, spreading out her arm. Rhea perched on her elbow, twitching her wings calmly as the tip of Edith's wand rested on her head.

"Colovaria."

Rhea's cream feathers shifted to a bright red, but the animal showed no inclination of actually knowing what was happening.

"There. And to change her back, so poor Rhea doesn't scare the life out of the rest of the owls in the Owlery, we use 'Reparifarge'." With her words, Edith tapped Rhea once again, and the vibrant colour drained from her feathers, the original shade returning.

Some students clapped, other muttered amongst themselves.

Edith let Rhea hop off her arm and sit on a metal perch off to the side again before turning back to the class.

"Colovaria's been used to alter hair colours, flags, eyebrows, fabrics, paint, decorations, animals, clothing, plants like flowers and grass and much, much more. But be careful, while changing the colour of something seems harmless, you should really always think about why you're doing what you're doing. A lot of witches and wizards use the spell to disguise themselves, much in the same way that metamorphmagus' do." Edith clapped her hands, her face brightening. A dove of confidence seemed to rise from her chest, and her shoulders relaxed.

"Now, I'd like you all to find a partner, and practice the spell on eachother. Your goal is to change the other person's hair colour to a single shade. And don't worry, none of you will be leaving with a head full of green hair, myself and Professor McGonagall will be sure to change back any... unflattering shades you might be subjected to. Now, find a partner please."

After a second or so of silence, the class divided into groups, and Edith walked around the room, correcting a few stances here, and recommending another pronunciation there as she went.

She bit back a smile as Hermione waved her wand, and Seamus' hair lit up in a beacon of colour. The boy yelped, dragging his hands through the orange strands with wide eyes.

"Fantastic, Hermione! Five points to Gryffindor."

Edith floated around the room, smiling to herself as she watched the attempts.

"Dean, aim for Padma's hair, not her eyebrows."

"Neville, it's okay, you don't have to apologise to her for casting the spell. It's a very good result, five points to Gryffindor. Now Hannah, you try to change Neville's hair colour."

"Ron, pick a colour and stick with it please."

"Well done, Draco. Five points to Slytherin. Lilac hair suits you, Miss Parkinson."

"Harry, try to be more firm with the movement, be confident in what you're casting." Edith stopped beside the boy, who had his wand aimed at Ron's hair.

"Make it blue, give us something to laugh at." Edith muttered, standing behind him with both hands on his shoulders.

Harry grinned, waving his wand again. "Colovaria!"

Ron's long, ginger locks changed colour like a breeze of wind flew past, and his hair gleamed in a bright blue.

Hermione burst out laughing from a little ways away, and Edith could've sworn that McGonagall smiled to herself as she continued to write.

"Good man." Edith said proudly, squeezed the boy's shoulders and giving him a quick hug before she pulled away, strolling over to another group of practicing students.

Harry watched her go, lowering his wand. He grinned.

For a moment, he had seen Professor Lupin in her place. From the praise, her proud expression, kind eyes and her fun twist on a lesson, it was clear to see the similarities between the two.

He could see why they had gravitated towards one another. Truthfully, when the Weasley's had sat down at the table the night after the Quidditch World Cup, he wasn't overly surprised when their relationship came to light.

Edith was happy, and that was all that Harry had ever wanted to see.

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"So, what actually is 'Arcanic Theory'? Is it just another way of saying History of Magic?" Edith asked, hands tucked away in her pockets as she and the Romanian Professor strolled across the grounds.

"No, because then ve vould just call it 'History of Magic', voukd ve not?" Daria retorted, a dark brow raised.

Edith shook her head. "I had a feeling you would. I'm just trying to understand. We had heard of other Wizarding schools across the world, but I've never been here when there's been a visit."

Daria let out a laugh, it was light, and oddly enchanting in a way.

"I understand, Miss Finch. You are curious, that's good. I like curiosity." Daria took a breath, letting the air rush from her lungs in an exhale before she began to speak. Edith hung to her words, a small web of interest connecting the women.

"Arcanic Theory is much more than reading the vords behind the pages of an incantation. A spell, and any spell for that matter, does not need full understanding to be cast. So long as the incantation is correct, as vell as the vand movement, the spell can be casted. But understanding of the vords behind it can be a tool just as strong." The woman gestured to the wand strapped to her thigh. "There is magic in every inch of this universe. In the air, the sea, the bones of our bodies, the atoms in our lungs, the blood in our veins, the venom of a rattlesnake.... magic lives everyvhere, Miss Finch. Even in muggles."

"Even though they can't... use it?"

"Yes." Daria nodded eagerly, slipping her hands from her trousers to gesture along with her words.

"Going back to spells, there are many branches of magic that have died out, shriveled away into obscurity due to suppression and certain laws. But vhile the spells themselves have been outlawed, the 'Theory' remains. That is vhat I teach and investigate. That is my passion. Digging through a dilapidated mage's tower for three days and cutting my palms into pieces isn't excatly vhat I get paid for, but the adrenaline that strikes me vhen I stumble upon a tome thought lost, or a scroll believed to be destroyed is like none other I have yet to experience! I suppose you could call me a collector of old magic."

"That sounds incredible..." Edith marvelled above the ambling breeze. "Have you ever found any old magic on Transfiguration?"

"Oh yes, a fair share, actually. But their methods vere... dark, for lack of a better term. Rituals and ceremonies of old, tapping into Dark Arts that vere bleak, even against today's standards. Not to mention the Blood Magic."

Edith's steps paused, and Daria stopped in her place as well, as if expecting the girl's reaction.

"Blood Magic..?" Edith uttered the words quietly, as if a hoard of Aurors would apparate around them for even breathing the term aloud.

Daria nodded grimly, slowly tapping the wand against her thigh.

"... A power like that is only granted vith understanding, and clear intent. Preferably for the better-hearted of us."

"Are you saying that you know how to cast it? Do you teach it... at Durmstrang?" Edith spoke hesitantly, quietly. Like a deer stumbling across a wolf in a clearing.

... But Edith Finch never had been afraid of wolves.

No, it was a deer staring down a vulture.

Daria's eyes widened, and she wore a stern look in her eyes as she faced the other woman, her boots crunching the grass as she turned.

"No, I vould never allow such crafts to be taught to my children, this ability comes vith trust, a bold heart, and years of investigation and education." Daria paused, glancing down for a moment. "...But I vill not lie to you. I'm knowledgeable of the subject. I can cast such things. But I do so only in controlled, secure environments vith my trusted peers and seniors. I am a practical scholar, Miss Finch. Not a monster."

Edith breathed, and the air slipped from her throat slowly. She nodded, staring into the ice blue eyes of the woman standing across from her.

"I believe you."

Daria's entire posture seemed to slacken with something like relief. And a smile slipped through the cold expression. "Thank you... you have a bold heart."

"I've been called worse." Edith mused, a smile showing as Daria laughed.

"Come," Daria requested, holding out her arm formally. "I vas speaking to Professor Flitvick last night, and he mentioned something about the 'Training Grounds'? Can you show me them?"

Edith grinned. "I'd love to."

The Deer linked her arm with the Vulture, and they strolled in the direction of the Training Grounds.

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"This space is beautiful!" Daria beamed, standing on a pale rock, holding her arms out to her sides, the ends of her jacket billowed in the wind.

Edith watched through a smile, her arms crossed as she watched the Professor look around the grounds with a similar expression to that of a Golden Retriever in a park.

Daria turned back around in place, nearly falling off the steep rock she stood on. "There is so much green! And the air! It's... varm! In September! I may move here." Daria thought aloud, grinning at the expression she was receiving from the girl.

"Is it really just snowy ground you see when you look out the window to your office?"

Professor Visan shrugged, nodding. "Pretty much. The cold keeps me centered, alert. But even a vatchdog must rest eventually. I am no different. Do your students duel here?"

"Some do. We have a few duelling clubs, some for individual houses, and one for the entire school. Professor Flitwick leads it, seeing as he's a champion dueler."

"Yes, the small man mentioned that. He is nice, but clever. Holding onto his cards until he is sure that it is safe to show them. A smart man indeed."

"That's Professor Flitwick for you." Edith commented. "He taught my brother. And he came to the funeral when... when Lewis passed."

Daria caught the hitch in her words, and Edith's smile faltered, if only for a moment.

The Romanian watched as she crossed her arms tighter, shifting her weight to another leg as she continued.

"They all did, every Head of House and Dumbledore too. It didn't mean much then, but it does now. He would've liked knowing he was cared for by them." Edith let out a breath, her eyes trailed the horizon. "...He loved this place."

"As do you." Daria's voice was quiet, cutting through the somber air.

Edith swallowed, and nodded. "A lot. It's home."

"Just as Durmstrang is to me. I entered it's doors as a student, and I returned as a Professor. It's principles, it's standards, the cold, the companionship between students, the stone murals carved into the valls, all has my heart and more."

"The school sounds beautiful."

"It is. Maybe you vill be able to see it one day... maybe I could take you. To see the vonders of the Durmstrang Institute for Magical Learning."

"It won't be as good as Hogwarts, but you're welcome to try and change my mind."

"Challenge accepted, Miss Finch."

"... Call me Edith."

Visan smiled. "Call me Daria." She replied, leaping off the rock and curtsying again, holding her arm out in the girl's direction.

Edith took it, and the two strolled on once more, nearing the centre of the Training Grounds.

"Edith, humour me. The pack on your belt, vhat is it? I doubt it is your vand, but if so, I'd very much like a conversation with your vand-maker." Daria mused, glancing down to the girl's waist, taking a short and considering glance at the pack.

"Ah, they're tarot cards. Muggles use them for insight and guidance. The ones who are willing to listen, anyway." Edith replied, her mind throwing back to a similar conversation she had with Remus, near the beginning of their story.

She missed him, but it was September and Edith wished that Christmas would come quicker so she could return to the Burrow for a day or so, hopefully visiting the man at the same time.

Something behind Daria's eyes seemed to sharpen, and her face wore a calm stare. "They're enchanted, aren't they?"

"... How did you-"

"I can feel their power, like a hand reaching out. It's an old spell, certainly. Almost like a giant veb of conjoined spells, each flowing through the next."

"I thought I was the only one who could feel that."

"Oh, make no mistake, I can feel your power as vell. It echoes from you, commanding and bold. Such power feels exciting, no?" Daria tilted her head.

"I wouldn't know. I've used them for defensive acts before, but I don't really know what they can do. Not properly."

"Ah haha, I hear an opportunity vandering this way!" Daria sung, slipping her arm out of Edith's, jogging a few paces away and staring her down with a broad grin.

"An opportunity?"

"Duel me!"

"Sorry?" Edith blinked.

"Duel me!" Daria repeated again, holding out her arms, the oddly shaped handle of her wand hanging off her wrist with a lazy grip.

"Why would I do that?"

"It is obvious, no? I vish to remain at my best, how else am I to help oversee the tournament? I am a strong duelist, and a good opponent for you to learn vhat your cards can do!"

Edith let out a small sigh, struggling to find a proper reply. "Well... I don't want to hurt you. The cards are unpredictable."

Daria barked a laugh. "Dear Edith, you vill not hurt me. Come on! It vill be a learning experience. How vill you ever uncover their true potential? Not to mention, your own! Powerful magic should be used by those in the light, vouldn't you agree?"

"I guess so, but-"

"Exactly! Come, duel me." Daria rolled up her sleeves, hiking them to her elbows. Several enchanted tattoos wound up and down her arms, slinking dragon heads that breathed slow, dark red inky fog swirled her forearms.

Edith was entranced by them.

"Careful, Miss Finch." Daria chided through a slim grin. "Too much staring and you vill lose the duel. Unless... the hand-picked Professor does not vish to prove herself to a eager traveller?"

Edith's brows furrowed, and she stepped forward, rolling up her own thinner sleeves, the ends of her shirt was bundled up at her elbows, the beige vest she wore shifted as her stance changed. She reached for her wand...

"Ah, ah! Cards only, please."

Edith opened her mouth to protest through a half-smile, but Daria wouldn't budge.

"Mm-mm, no. I vill use my vand, and be the defence. You and your cards vill be the offence. Attack me, Edith, and I vill occasionally defend myself. Show me vhat you can do!" Daria smiled, squaring her hips and pointing her wand in the girl's direction, a bright look on her eye.

Edith's hand wandered away from her wand, and instead rested on the pack of cards she held so dear. After seeing her last hesitant glance, Daria nodded in encouragement, prompting the girl to wave a hand, and one by one, the cards flew from the pack, and even number finding each wrist.

The sheer amount of cards made them stack around her forearms like rotation towers, steadily wider circles of cards formed as space was taken up on the level below.

In summer, she had stood in these very grounds and dueled both McGonagall and Flitwick multiple times. There was a defensive aspect that Professor's needed to know in order to protect the Castle, should any harm befall her walls.

But even then, in those duels, she had her wand in one hand, and a handful of cards spiralling the other. Never had she used them all like this.

Edith wasn't sure if it was the current situation or the previous conversation of old magic and it's breathtaking power that prompted the feeling, but a surge of something reached her mind.

She felt powerful.

"Alright. Who moves first?" With a newfound confidence, Edith asked through a growing smile.

A similar expression graced the other Professor's face, but her eyes were still set in a calculating and expectant way.

"Let's stick to the conditions. Attack me."

Daria's request was so casual, it unnerved the girl slightly.

But Edith took a breath, straightening up and quickly slashing an arm in the woman's direction.

Ironically, Flitwick had been the fastest out of the three back in summer to counter a spell, with McGonagall's calculating motions coming in just behind him.

Daria's speed nearly put the man to shame, and he wasn't even here to witness it.

A eccentric bolt of gold thrusted out from Edith's wrist, careering towards the woman.

Calmly, she sidestepped, the tip of her wand catching the back end of the blast, gracefully turning around to launch it back towards the girl.

Edith's eyes widened, and her arms flew up in front of her face.

A shield of gold with wisps of silver bloomed to life, and the redirected blast crashed off it with a ringing sound, dissolving into the air.

Slowly, Edith lowered her arms, staring at them in surprise. The shield blinked away.

Daria smirked from across the grounds, gesturing towards herself with a smugness in her eyes.

Edith's jaw tightened.

She wanted a fight?

She would get one.

Edith's arms gleamed as she plunged both of them into the ground, the soil below cracking with gold light. She brought her arms back up in a outwards wave motion, and the ground below developed a wave like that of the sea, rumbling loudly as it crawled across the ground at breakneck speeds towards the Romanian.

Professor Visan watched with interest, twirling her wand through a finger and stabbing it into the earth below.

A wave of purple rocketed up from the earth, and met the gold blast head on. They demolished each other with a flicker of light, and the ground settled.

Edith took a shaky breath, standing again.

Daria's eyes gleamed in the same shade of purple that shook the earth, yanking her wand from the ground with a firm grip. She twirled it in her fingers, winking.

A short laugh left the girl. Duelling with Minerva or Flitwick was enjoyable in a sense, but had always been more of a test than duelling for fun.

She was enjoying herself.

"Oh, ho ho! The Spitfire has a flame burning inside after all!!"

"You're countering everything I do." Edith observed.

"Then do something I can not predict!" The words themselves sounded slightly harsh, but Edith could hear the meaning behind them. 'Impress me!', they begged.

Daria was nimble, there was no doubt about that. But if Edith could find a way to stop her from side-stepping out of the way to counter an attack, it might be the key to winning, or at least, the key to putting herself on even ground with the woman.

Edith's arms twisted in patterns, as if commanding a storm from the bow of a ship, her eyes gleamed as power touched every inch of her.

Daria watched warily, unable to see any real threat ahead of her.

But light spat from above her, small sparks of silver clattering to the ground.

Daria glanced up, her eyes widening as she took in the sight above her.

Runes and golden clouds spiralled above her, spitting silver lightning. The clouds rumbled, and Daria moved with instinct, rolling out of the way as a bolt crashed into the ground, narrowly avoiding the ends of her jacket.

Daria deflected the next blast that had followed her, focusing on keeping herself moving and aware with her eyes to the sky.

She danced in place, skipping and twirling to a music that only she could feel. With each deflected blast, she could feel the attack becoming weaker, and she bit back a grin. Finch would have to do better than that.

She slashed upwards at the cloud, her purple arch shattering the fabricated clouds above and the sky cleared.

She looked over at Edith for a reaction, but only found her smiling.

A warm sensation had enveloped her ankles, and Daria glanced down, gasping at the sight of gold roots encasing her feet to the ground, her soles heavier than cement.

Instantly, she viciously casted the ground, wriggling in place to free herself from the roots.

A ringing directed her attention, and the woman bent backwards, a dull ache bloomed in her back at the sheer speed of the movement.

The world seemed to pass in milliseconds as the first blast fired past her, the reflection lighting up her eyes.

Daria stood again, swapping her wand hand and forgetting the situation she was in, focusing entirely on the girl ahead of her.

Edith was ruthless, sending blast after blast with each swing of her arms. She advanced on the woman, the direction of her attacks swirling around her own body before firing towards the Professor.

Daria's eyes gleamed with a signature colour of purple, and a dozen ravens sprouted from the tip of her wand, cawing in an echo between each other, flapping quickly and each soaring towards Edith, who was stopped in her tracks.

Edith forgot Daria's presence, instead focusing on fighting of the spectral birds that were crashing into her before taking off again.

She took a few steps back, releasing a shock wave that surged outwards, shattering all of the creatures in one foul swoop.

Edith let out a breath, but the Tower gleamed in her head and she leapt out of the way, narrowly avoiding a whipping lash from a new purple rope that had flew from Daria's wand.

"What spell is that!?"

"An incantation not of your language! If you beat me, I vill teach it to you!" Daria (now a free woman) promised, swinging her arm again, the rope following her actions.

Edith backed away, occasionally bringing up a small shield to deflect a hit heading her way.

Now it was Daria's turn to advance on her opponent, drawing Edith further away from the earthy ground in favour of the stones and harder ground beneath them.

"Go Professor Finch!"

"Come on, Edith!!"

"Woo! Professor Visan!!"

Edith dared a glance to the wall of the Training Grounds tower, where a collection of students had began to gather. She saw some first years, stars in their eyes at such a raw show of magic, some older years, and a small trio of heads with ginger, brown and black hair. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny watched with bated breaths as they fought, with Fred and George hollering behind them at the same time, of course.

"Thrash her, Edith!!!"

Edith barked a laugh, deflecting another blast.

"My brothers want me to put you on your ass!"

"You're more than velcome to try!!" Daria retorted, a broad grin etched into her face as both of their attacks became faster, adrenaline pumping through each of them.

Edith was pushed back by another slash, but envisioned doves painted in gold. The cards shone, and a flock of said birds rang into existence, flying at an impossible speed towards the woman. Daria let the purple whip she commanded fall for a moment, working on shattering the pestering birds. A fitting taste of her own medicine, as Viktor would have said.

Edith took the opportunity of a distraction to push back, steadily moving towards the woman, and in turn, pushing them both in the direction of the now growing crowd.

Daria went almost willingly, but a sudden change in her demeanor had Edith stunned.

Professor Visan switched from defensive attacks to completely offensive within a heartbeat, and began summoning another flock of violet ravens, firing them towards her like a barrage of arrows from the otherside of a war ground.

Edith furrowed her brows, and with one motion of her arms, the ground below her trembled as giant pillars of gold and silver shot up from the earth, shattering whatever raven dared to fly close enough.

Their forms smashed like glass, and the sound rang through Edith's head. The gold inside her pupil took over both full eyes, beacons of light within a wispy purple fog.

Edith didn't waste a second when the ravens were destroyed, launching herself forward with a gold trail following her legs, scorching the grass below.

Edith came the closest to Daria that she had been since the beginning of the fight, and slashed an arm towards the unsuspecting Professor.

Her legs were swept back with the force of the attack, and she was just able to raise her wand to stop the impact, but still she fell backwards, landing on the ground with a pained exhale. Her wand flew from her grip, falling at her feet.

She could hear Edith backing away, and Daria smiled, pulling her head up from the ground, opening her mouth to let a genuinely impressed remark leave her mouth, but the words died in her throat at the sight in front of her.

The students a little aways from them had a similar reaction.

Edith couldn't breathe, her head hung forward in pitiful gasps that left her throat.

Something wrenched her head up, and a fire burned within her, a fire of hate that wasn't hers. She stared down the woman on the floor with a glare hot enough to set the ground alight.

The cards spiralled faster, and Edith took slow steps in the woman's direction.

Daria laughed, pushing down the fear that began to creep up her throat. "You've beat me! Vell done!"

Edith's glare didn't waver. Gold fog seeped from the sides of her mouth like smoke from dragonfire, lingering with the new trails that were streaming from her eyes.

"Edith?" Daria called, the smile slipping from her face.

Edith's head twitched, but she kept striding towards her, in the direction of the students behind the Romanian woman.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Fred and George all straightened at the sight, a familiar worry emerging from their hearts, polluting the thoughts in their heads.

"Spitfire? You've beaten me, stand down." Daria shifted, kneeling through wary eyes.

With a deep hum that echoed through the grounds, some of the gleaming cards left her wrists, collecting in a giant circle behind her.

They shone with a light that built in intensity with each moment that passed.

Each card trembled as a beam left the card's golden faces, collecting into a warping sphere of power right in front of Edith. She raised a trembling hand, and Daria seriously expected her body to fall if the cards hadn't been supporting her.

Edith turned slightly, her wayward aim and trembling fingers directing the steadily growing sphere in a space between Daria and the students.

The pupils gasped, clinging onto each other and some launched themselves out of the way with fright. Harry clutched Ron and Hermione's hands, feeling them shake along with him. Fred and George held Ginny between them.

"La dracu!" Daria spat, her knees leaving the ground a second after the beam was let go with a thrust of Edith's shaking hand.

Professor Visan snatched up her wand, skidding across the ground to where she kneeled in front of the beam that was about the size of a carriage in width, and with a grunt, she stabbed her wand into the ground, a wave of purple flying from her.

"Lörenith!" Daria's yell echoed through the grounds, nearly bringing the world to a standstill.

A shield the size of a pendulum emerged from the ground, racing up to cover its caster before shuddering at the impact of the beam.

Daria's arm ached and her muscles screamed, but she held fast, the stray ends of the beam being deflected onto the wall above the students, leaving dark lashes on the stone.

Finally, after what felt like hours, the pressure behind the beam slackened, and with a flicker, it shortened out.

Daria panted, taking a glance towards the still silent girl across from her before choosing to lower her shield. She looked behind her at the collection of stunned students, some of which trembled with fear.

"Are you all alright!?" She asked, louder than she had intended.

Fred gripped his brothers hand, nodding hesitantly. Harry did the same, and there were a few nods from the older students in the crowd.

"Edith!" Ron's shout of distress made Daria turn again, pushing herself into a stand and snatching her wand from the ground.

Edith stood like a rag doll, seemingly only kept standing by the sheer power that was radiating from her cards.

Blood had poured from both nostrils, probably when the blast was finally let go, drenching her mouth in a deep red.

Her eyes trembled in their sockets, shoulders twitching.

Daria was moving towards her before the cards around her dulled, falling to the ground, and there was a flurry of sound as the many others joined them on the grass.

Edith's body folded to the floor.

Daria reached her a moment after, immediately pulling the girl onto her lap and tapping the side of her cheek.

"Edith! Edith, can you hear me? Look at me, Spitfire. Come on."

"Edith!" Footsteps raced over from behind them, and a group consisting of Edith's closest family watched with worry.

"Granger, vill you please get another member of staff? I think I'll need another hand here-"

Suddenly, Edith's eyes cracked open and she coughed, twitching in place and sitting up, turning away from the group and retching onto the grass through shaking breaths.

Almost immediately, Daria's hand found her back, the other one gently pulling back the girl's hair.

"There, there... okkaayy go on, get it all out. Breathe, Edith. You're alright. Just breathe."

"I'm sorry, I... I couldn't stop myself, I was just- just watching it happen. The cards were moving me like a marionette. I'm so sorry, Daria." Edith hacked again, slumping back and wiping her bloody mouth off with her bare arm. It stained and itched her skin.

It ached.

Everything ached.

"I couldn't breathe. It was terrifying... I thought I was dead."

"You are not, thank Merlin for that." Daria paused, raising two fingers to press against her neck.

Edith waited, as did the others.

"Your heart is racing like it is in a marathon, much faster than is a healthy average. Slow breaths, Edith. Hold for a few seconds, and blow it out. Like a candle." Daria instructed, rubbing her shoulder.

Edith tried to do as she was told, but the shuddering of her chest didn't help the already difficult task of getting air.

"That was mental! Shit scary, but mental! Edith, you blasted a beam!" Fred ranted, waving his arms in the air. George was the slightly calmer side of his brother, kneeling down and bunching up his jumper sleeve in an attempt to clear more blood from her mouth.

"How are you?" He asked, softer than Fred. "What happened?"

"Exactly what I'd like to know, Weasley!" A voice barked gruffly from behind them, and Hermione pulled Ginny out of the way as Alastor Moody limped towards the group, a usual scowl gracing his face.

"Professor." Daria nodded towards the man, keeping a solid grip on Edith's shoulder.

She didn't get a reply.

Instead the man stopped beside them, cocking his head to the side as he took in the state of the girl.

"We had a duel." Edith breathed an explanation, ignoring the way her fingers burned as she pushed back her fringe.

"With a wrecking ball? Fairly certain even that level of hostility isn't in the Durmstrang curriculum, or am I wrong, Ms Visan?" Moody grumbled out, his mechanical eye darting away from Edith for a split second to hover on Harry before it flew back over.

Daria however, didn't appreciate the sarcasm.

"The girl is exhausted. And you are here making jokes?" She scoffed, a vicious sound. "It vas a duel to test the both of us, I offered a practice to learn certain abilities. Edith agreed. This vas not a fight, power can become out of hand." Daria paused, turning back to Edith, sweeping a small hair back with a calm smile. "But you don't need to fear it, ve can improve on it, together. I can teach you."

This time, Moody scoffed.

"And after you've made such a good first impression, Visan. What a wonderful idea."

"You're velcome to butt out, Moodey." Daria replied sharply.

"Professors, please." Edith piped up, holding a palm to her head as George continued to wipe away the blood. His sleeve was ruined, but he paid no mind, helping Professor Visan loop an arm around the girl's waist and slowly lift her into a standing position.

"We should get you to the hospital wing, Edith, really." Harry chimed in, his chest twisting at the sight of the blood now staining her shirt's collar.

"A good idea, Potter. I can take her. The rest of you all have classes, I presume?" Moody glanced around the group, but none of them were actually brave enough to protest.

"I'll come along-" Daria began, only to be cut off.

"Not necessary, Visan. You have students to overlook, I'm sure."

"They can vait-"

Moody scoffed, loudly.

"Do you have a problem vith me, Professor? " Daria's eyes narrowed, her tone like venom as she glared at the older man, who glowered back.

"Daria, it's alright. You should check in with your students, we can catch up at the feast tonight." Edith's words did well to break through the anger in Daria's eyes, and her gaze softened, eyes flicking away from Moody to look at Edith for a moment before she backed down, still holding her shoulders up as she passed Edith fully to the twins, nodded to Hermione, Harry, Ron and Ginny before she strode out of the makeshift circle, marching past the small crowd of onlookers from the fight that began only a few minutes ago.

"Get to class please, all of you!" Her shout did well to disperse the bundle of students, who quickly picked up their bags and over-robes before splitting apart and walking off to the next class on their schedules.

"Go on, you lot. On you go. And change your jumper, Weasley." Moody flicked his head, visibly less tense now that the Romanian Professor was out of sight.

The trio, Ginny, and the twins looked between each other, clearly hesitant.

"Really, guys. Get to class. I'll see you later." Edith reassured them, biting back a sharp breath as she shifted away from Fred and George, standing on her own.

"... Are you sure you'll-"

"Come on. Granger, She won't shatter if the wind blows too hard. Now, get." Moody whistled sharply, glaring again.

The kids eventually collected their bags from the wall and went their separate ways, a few lingering glances being sent in Edith's direction as they went.

"Come on, Finch." Moody grunted, limping through a turn as he hiked back up the hill, watching over his shoulder as the girl retrieved her fallen cards with a wave of her hand.

She followed him as they entered the castle again, walking a bit behind.

"Any more of that old magic nonsense and your heart'll give out from the stress from those cards."

Edith blinked. "How did-"

"I did my homework. That and our mutual friend the Headmaster filled me in. Fascinating, frankly. Would be a shame to see them kill you."

Edith shifted, her eyes dropping.

"You really think they'd kill me?"

"Without a damn doubt. Saw that fight first hand, saw how they took over you, like someone snapping a piece of straw. Want my advice, kid? Keep them as a party trick, urgent situations only. There's been a fair few wizards in the past who've been controlled by magic, instead of doing the controlling themselves. All you'll do is dig yourself an early grave."

"But all magic can be understood, can't it? Anything can be learned, given enough time? Maybe Professor Visan had a point, maybe we could work on controlling it, connecting with it." Edith suggested quietly, turning another corner, but Moody laughed.

It was cold, and a strange mix between pity and sarcasm.

"You're too quick to trust, Finch. I've only just met you and I can see that. Keep Visan at arms length, Durmstrang is notorious for breeding the dark magic likes, got no reason to think the ones that teach are any better. She looks at those cards, at the powerhouse of your connection with them and she sees a goldmine. She's kind, Finch, but not stupid. McGonagall tells me you're the same." Moody paused, stopping outside the Hospital Wing doors.

"Make sure you keep it that way." Professor Moody gave her a gruff nod, and limped off down another hallway, leaving Edith alone with a weight on her mind, and an ache in her bones.

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 272 54
It's 2020, long after the Golden Trio left Hogwarts and a new generation of students is roaming the halls. Astrid Williams is just starting her 6th y...
785 78 27
"Can't you see, feel what you are doing to yourself?" the professor muttered. "It's just pain." The year is 1927 and young Grey Willow is about to s...
20.7K 839 25
𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 Eloise returns to Hogwarts for her second year and feels as if she's entered a par...