The Spider and the Butterfly

By B17E0F87

In the 1930s, an injured butterfly befriends a surly, mysterious spider for protection against an evil mantis... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
CHAPTER Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Epilogue
Behind The Scenes

Chapter Seventeen

46 3 2
By B17E0F87

The following night, the citizens of Ridpath tended to the injured and celebrated their victory over the yellowjackets.

Mayor Phillip, who had no long-lasting injuries, announced a formal apology to Fang. He even went so far as to call him a hero. They prepared a banquet of mealworms and beetles for the wolf spider, who hungrily gobbled up bowl after bowl.

There was music and dancing. A pair of Harlequin bugs sung onstage while the band swinged and jived. Many of the insects no longer seemed to fear Fang, and had adorned him in silver bracelets and threw a purple cape around him.

Daisy sat nearby, drinking out of the roses she had been provided with. She had a lot to think about...and so little time to act. Everyone was expecting her to migrate in a few minutes with a group of stragglers. But...she needed to say what needed to be said to Fang.

"Fang?" Daisy whispered.

The spider looked down at her. "Yeah, Daisy?"

The butterfly blushed. Calming herself, she said, "I need to talk to you...alone."

Fang paused for a moment before rising from his seat and patting his mouth with a napkin. "Ok, then. Lead the way, I guess."

The two of them walked into the field they had been in the night previous. All of the surrounding grass had by now faded to a dull brown in color. Daisy's heart hammered in her chest: was she actually going to do this? She...she had to.

"It's beautiful out here, isn't it?" Fang asked. "The sights, the sounds..." He smiled, making Daisy squirm even more. "So, what did you want to say, Daisy?"

Trying not to tremble, the butterfly took a deep breath. Then she said, "Fang...it's about Rogue. I...I can't leave."

The spider looked around. "Where is that blunderbuss, anyway? Is he trying to have at you next?"

"No, Fang..." Daisy tried again. "He's dead. That's not what I-"

A few butterflies raced past,whooping and hollering as they went. "Hey, Daisy!" they yelled. "C'mon! We're about to go!" They laughed and leapt up into the air, spreading their wings.

Fang's countenance became sober as he turned back to Daisy. "Oh..." he murmured. "I, uh...I guess it's time, huh?"

Daisy faltered, then sighed. "Yeah...I suppose it is. But...I'll come back. Three months isn't very long, right?"

"Yeah," Fang said. His attempt to give Daisy a reassuring smile broke her heart. There was a deep-rooted sadness in his eyes that devastated her. "We'll see each other again in no time. It's not goodbye. It's...it's more like...see you later."

The butterfly gave the spider a big hug. "You've helped me so many times...I'm glad that I could finally help you tonight. Everyone likes you, now."

Fang hugged back. "I...I'm glad I was there for you, Daisy. I feel like a new spider."

Daisy laughed. Then they realized how long they were standing there hugging and slowly let one another go. "I'll see you around, wolf spider."

"I'll see you around too, little butterfly..." Fang replied softly.

They stared a little longer before Daisy took off into the sky after the other butterflies. After they were some distance out, she cast a look behind her. The insects of Ridpath were all waving and shouting their farewells. Sage was standing on Morales' shoulders, much to the protest of said cricket, and Dr. Musca threw confetti alongside Periwinkle.

Fang just stood there, gazing up into the sky. A painful lump formed in his throat, and he could hold back the tears no longer. "Bye, Daisy..." he whispered. With a groan, the spider turned around and strolled into Ridpath's bar area.

Daisy, although she didn't see or hear it, stopped in her tracks. "No..." she said, determined. "No." She whirled around and flew quickly back to the town. She had to know...Fang had to know, too. No more pretending her feelings away. She understood, at last, what she felt for the spider that had sacrificed so much for her.

                         **********

Although the crowd was pretty confused about Daisy's immediate return, they didn't question it. Or at least, she didn't slow down to talk to anyone. The butterfly looked in each and every building for Fang until she finally reached the bar.

The spider wasn't too hard to find. He was sitting on a stool up front, sipping away at some cocktail the bartender had given him. Daisy was startled to hear him whimpering and crying. She had never heard him cry before. A few of her own tears poured out.

"She's so far from me now," Fang was saying to himself. "But it was wrong of me to think I could keep her here. Like I owned her. But I don't. I want only the best for her. I want her to be happy and free, and...live the best life she possibly can. And...forget about an awful creature like me." He lifted the cocktail and drank it all in one gulp.

"Fang?" Daisy asked.

Fang whirled in her direction. "Daisy?!" he gasped, bewildered. "W...what are you doing here?"

Everyone in the bar turned to watch the butterfly approach the spider.

"Fang, I need to know something..." she said. "Did you mean what you said when you told Rogue that you loved me with all your strength? Is...is it true?"

The spider blushed. He looked around wildly, opening his mouth, then shutting it. Looking back at Daisy, he sighed. "It's true," he confessed. Fang closed his eyes in defeat. "You got me, ok? I do love you, Daisy. With all my strength...and all my heart. And...I'm sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable and weird. If you never want to talk to me again-"

Daisy ran up and jumped into Fang's arms. "Oh, Fang..." she cried, nuzzling her head into his chest. "I love you too! I love you so much!" Tears of joy in both of their eyes, the spider and the butterfly kissed. Their hearts pounded together as they embraced each other. The insects around them clapped.

"Now I've truly seen everything," the bartender muttered, shaking his head.

"About time, you two!" Sage heckled from the doorway. Morales shot him a look.

Fang, longingly staring at Daisy, asked, "Will you marry me? Spiders don't usually mate for life, but...for you, I'd be willing to make an exception." He looked so bashful.

"Yes, Fang..." Daisy laughed. "Yes..."

The spider cradled her to his chest, purring loudly. Wow, is that sound coming from me? he wondered amusingly.

Before long, every bug in Ridpath heard the news and cheered. And bless their little souls, they took it upon themselves to plan for the wedding.

Some made a gorgeous dress for Daisy, while others made decorations and a cake. With winter just around the corner, they had to make this happen fairly soon.

Fang and Daisy got ready, too. Back in his den, the spider brushed his teeth and combed his fuzz. He didn't feel confusion and pain anymore. He felt alive. "She loves me, she loves me..." Fang murmured happily. He decided to make the den more suitable for his bride-to-be.

Meanwhile, in Ridpath, Daisy was trying on her new dress and putting ornaments in her hair. Little children ladybugs ran around her, giggling. They were the flowergirls. The butterfly was relieved that all of the tension she felt inside was almost gone now.

Within the span of a few days, everything was ready for the ceremony. Sage walked Daisy down the aisle to Fang and the justice of peace. The spider's eyes widened when he saw the butterfly in her new dress. It sparkled a dazzling indigo. "Whoa..." he said, blinking a few times. Fang was wearing a white top hat, golden gloves, and had a big red bow tie on.

The two of them gazed sweetly at each other the whole time. Daisy still felt a little nervous, but she knew with certainty that she had made the right choice. And after exchanging vows and rings, Daisy and Fang kissed once more.

After the wedding, everyone had a big party. Peaceful harpsichord music played (a welcome change from the chaotic stuff Fang frequented) in the background. The couple had their own table to sit at while food was being served. It was a most joyous ocassion, and definitely the best day of Daisy's life.

                           **********

Soon, all of the insects of Ridpath began to retire for the night, and started to retreat back to their homes. Sage and Morales lingered a while longer, along with Musca.

"Hey, Daisy..." Sage said. He gave her a big hug. "Congratulations. To both of you."

Daisy smiled. "Thanks, Sage. I guess we have to go hide in the ground now, huh?"

Musca nodded. "Yes, dear. I heard it's gonna snow tonight. The air is so bitingly cold as it is, but it'll get much worse once the snow falls. And you want to make sure you aren't caught out in it, else your wings may freeze. You got plenty of nectar back in the den, I presume?"

"Oh, yes..." Fang replied. "Jars upon jars worth of the stuff. She's not going hungry on my watch."

"Very good," the dragonfly said. "I wish both of you good luck, and goodnight. Hopefully, we may see each other again in spring, when the snow melts and the ground thaws." With a bow, Musca took his leave.

Morales spoke up. "By the way, Daisy...me and Sage have gotten jobs!"

Sage added, "Yeah! The Queen Ant hired us to be her royal servants! We'll get to do stuff like sweeping and dusting, and in return she'll give us all the food we want! We're not going hungry this winter!"

Fang wrapped his arms around Sage and Morales, grinning. "Way to go, you rascals..." he chuckled. "Cheating the system. Now that's how you defy nature!" They all laughed at this, with the spider ruffling their antennas. "Hey, thanks for not eating us, either!" Morales chirped.

"Don't push it," Fang muttered. Then he burst out laughing again. Turning to Daisy, he asked, "Ready to go home, my love?"

Daisy nodded, a blush rising to her cheeks. "Yes, Fang. I'm a little tired."

The spider winked at the other insects before lifting the butterfly up in his arms and taking off across the fields. Daisy squeaked in surprise, smiling at his playfulness. In a minute or so, they were at the den's entrance. "Look at that," Fang said. He pointed up at the sky.

Daisy looked up...and saw a wonderful sight that many butterflies never, ever saw. "Is that...snow?" she asked in awe.

"Yes, Daisy. Isn't it beautiful?" Fang grinned, nuzzling against her.

The snow drifted slowly to the earth, hypnotic and mesmerizing. Daisy felt her heart blossom with happiness. "I'm glad I stayed," she whispered.

Fang kissed her cheek. "Me too, sweetheart..." he purred. "Close your eyes. I have one more thing to show you."

Daisy closed her eyes as Fang took her by the hand and led her down into his den. He shut the door behind them. "Alright...you can look."

The butterfly opened her eyes and gasped. Above the fireplace was a big web in the shape of a heart, and outlining the heart were pretty Shasta daisies. In the center of the den was a bed of roses held together with more webs. "Fang..." she quivered, tearing up in adoration for her husband. "It's so beautiful..."

Fang settled into the bed, beaming. "Not as beautiful as you..." he said. "The Queen Bee helped me find some of those flowers. Kind of hard to find them in autumn, you know?"

Daisy crawled on top of the spider, cuddling him. "Thank you, Fang. This was the best day ever."

"It was," Fang agreed. "Soon, spring will return. And everything will be warm outside again. If there's anything else you want, I'm here, Daisy. I'll nurture and care for you, always..." He stroked her head.

The butterfly stared into the spider's eyes. "I want you," she murmured. Fang's face turned almost scarlet in color, making Daisy giggle. Then he replied, "As you wish, my love..."

A thousand "I Love You"s must have passed between them that night. Neither one of them felt cold inside the den, though by now the snow outside was piling up higher on the ground. It was the warmest winter they had ever experienced, and by the time it was midnight, Daisy was fast asleep in Fang's arms, listening to the sound of his strong heartbeat. They were smiling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 525 9
A fantasy tale about two wrongs who could never make it right.
52.6K 2.1K 33
Hosie neighbor au. (Bad at descriptions)
12.6K 255 19
|•°• 𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚: 𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴𝗲-𝘄𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗵𝘆 𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗲. :( 𝗡𝗼𝘁𝗲: 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗮𝗻𝗳𝗶𝗰 𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝘂𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗹𝘆 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴. 𝗬𝗼𝘂...