Species Unknown [Book 2: Pisc...

Door fantasynote

*MERMAN ROMANCE* Moving from the warm beaches of Oahu to the rocky shores of Monterey, California was suppose... Meer

PROLOGUE
01. TO FORGET
02. SOMETHING FISHY
03. GHOSTS
04. SINK OR SWIM
05. SHADOW IN THE WATER
06. SPIRITS
07. SECOND CHANCE
08. THE CREATURE
09. A WARNING IN THE DARK
10. AN UNEXPECTED VISITOR
11. STUPID IDEAS
12. IMPENDING ARRIVAL
13. DR. RICHARD GRANT
14. CAUGHT
15. A FULL VIEW
16. CHECKMATE
17. THE RETURN
18. GOING UNDER
19. SACRIFICES
20. TO KEEP A PROMISE
21. FORMING A PLAN
22. METAHUMAN TRIALS
23. TAKING ACTION
24. PLAYING ALONG
25. BECOMING CLOSER
26. CASSIAN
27. PRETTY LIES
29. THE PLAN
30. THE ESCAPE (PART 1)
31. THE ESCAPE (PART 2)
32. THE ESCAPE (PART 3)
33. ALONE TOGETHER
34. WARM DESPITE THE COLD
EPILOGUE
BOOK 3: CANIS

28. TRUSTING THE ENEMY

2.8K 186 26
Door fantasynote

THE ROOM WAS small and dark, and I could barely make out that it seemed to be some kind of supply closet. After a few moments, the person who had grabbed me released their grip on my arm and I immediately made for the door.

However, they stepped in front of me before I could reach it.

"Wait! Please, I just want to talk." A familiar voice called out from the darkness. Just then, a small light illuminated between us and I saw the face of my captor.

My eyes widened before narrowing in suspicion.

It was Austin, holding his phone to create some light in the small supply closet. I had not been this close to him since the day we met on the beach all those nights ago. He was taller than I remember, his lanky frame towering over me as he looked down at me from behind the reflection of his glasses.

Regaining my composure, I crossed my arms across my chest, "Austin?! What is going on?" I snapped, displeased at being roughly dragged into some small dark room.

"Shhhh!" Austin silenced me, gesturing for me to be quiet, "There aren't any cameras over here, but you need to keep your voice down." He explained quickly.

I let out a breath, "Why am I here Austin." I said lowly, eyeing the door behind him.

Austin held his hands up in surrender, "Listen, I'm sorry about today but we needed that blood. Dr. Grant is considering terminating the subject, we are trying to find something worth studying to make him worth keeping." He explained, his voice sounding surprisingly sincere. I also noted the fact that he referred to Cassian as a "he" which many here avoid doing.

"Worth keeping?" I repeated curiously, my voice now devoid of the anger it had earlier. I was still skeptical, but I was also willing to hear him out.

Austin seemed to notice this shift and his shoulders relaxed as he explained, "Dr. Grant has given orders to terminate the subject." He said simply.

I froze. I opened my mouth a few times but found no words to voice my confusion and distress. Only after a few moments was I able to finally form a sentence, "But that doesn't make any sense, why would Dr. Grant spend so much time and effort trying to capture Cassian just to kill him?" I asked, still unbelieving.

"Cassian?" Austin said again, looking down at me.

"The subject's name, try using it." I responded dryly.

Austin nodded, looking at me for a moment. The moment stretched and the silence grew awkward between us. He just kept staring at me curiously behind his glasses, as if realizing something.

I tilted my head at him, "So...are you going to answer or not?"

Austin's eyes widened and he blinked a few times, "Oh right!" He began, adjusting his glasses to sit high on his nose, "Dr. Grant caught the s-...uh...Cassian, to clean up his mess. He wanted to be sure that there would be nothing that could be traced back to him. Cover everything up and try again." Austin finished.

"Try again?" I asked incredulously, "What does that mean?"

Austin cleared his throat, shifting under my gaze, "Well...you know Dr. Grant has other compounds with other... experiments." Austin alluded, and my blood went cold.

"Of course, so he wants to terminate Cassian and focus on these other subjects then right?" I added snidely.

Austin nodded, his dark hair falling in front of his face, "Something like that." He answered lamely.

I frowned, "But why not just let Cassian go then, how would anyone trace the creature back to Dr. Grant?" I asked curiously before adding, "I mean, I know Dr. Grant is an esteemed geneticist and people already have their suspicions, but there is no solid proof." I added, thinking about the letter I sent to the F.B.I. this morning with the photos of Dr. Grant's log.

Well, proof besides that...I thought to myself.

Austin shifted uncomfortably, "Well...if Cassian was captured by someone, they could run DNA tests that would lead back to Dr. Grant."

I shook my head, not understanding, "How would that even be possible?"

Austin paused, "Y-you don't know?" He asked, his face looking at me with confusion before changing into shock and disbelief.

"Know what?!" I huffed, becoming frustrated with Austin's vague answers.

"Dr. Grant is the biological father of Cassian." Austin said plainly.

I blinked, not fully processing what he had said at first. However, with my next breath, the information sank in and my heart sank.

"What?!" I shouted, before covering my mouth to silence my outburst. 

My stomach churned as I fought back the urge to be sick right here in this supply closet.

Dr. Grant was Cassian's father?!

Despite my panic, Austin continued calmly, albeit slightly disturbed, "His experiments were not approved by the Board of Science, he had no other options for procurement of human DNA to create so many subjects without suspicion. Not to mention he believes his genes to be superior anyway." He added, rolling his eyes.

I was still too shocked to respond.

I mean, it made sense after what Austin said. But I still refused to believe it. How could someone as kind and empathetic as Cassian be related to such a cruel calculating monster like Dr. Grant? Perhaps he was more like his mother then?

His mother...I repeated internally. Who was that? I mean, I knew she was never around because he was raised in a test tube, but who was the donor? And did I even want to know?

I thought about it a moment...

After what I have just been told, no, I really didn't...I decided finally.

"I'm not sure where he got human eggs to fertilize, and I won't for the sake of my own mental health." I spoke finally. My voice was low and defeated.

"Trust me, you don't want to know." Austin noted, making a show of shivering in disgust.

I looked down at the floor, my head still spinning with everything I had just been told. I was disturbed, disgusted, and so much more.

I wondered if Cassian knew who his biological parents were...

I heard Austin suck in a breath, bringing me back to the present, "Look, I know you are working out a way to get him out of here." He whispered, leaning closer to me.

I stepped back, looking away, "I don't know what you're talking about, that's impossible." I lied.

Austin stepped aside, putting one hand on the doorknob before looking back at me, "You don't need to lie, I want to help you. I already contacted Noah and we are meeting tonight at his place. Be there." Austin said finally, opening the door and walking out quickly.

I stood there in silence as the door opened and shut as Austin took his leave. The room fell back into darkness as Austin left, taking his light with him.

He didn't wait for my response, but it would seem he didn't need to anyway, since he knew I would go.

With a breath, I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone. My screen illuminated the room once again and scrolling, I finally read the message from Noah.

9563 South Shore Lane

See you tonight.

It seemed that Noah had already made plans with Austin to meet tonight. But just to be sure, I sent Noah a quick text.

When were you going to tell me about Austin?

The reply wasn't long incoming.

Tonight, he wanted me to keep his identity a secret until the last possible moment, but he's with us, don't worry.

I let out a breath. I had no choice but to trust Noah fully on this. It was to late to work out another plan and I needed all the help I could get. Quickly, I typed back a reply.

Fine. See you soon.

With that message, I slipped my phone back in my pocket and made for the door. Listening to be sure nobody was nearby, I slipped out of the closet and made my way down the hall toward the elevator.

The ride up to the main floor was quick and I made it out to the parking lot in a matter of minutes. I noticed with surprise that the sun was just beginning to set as I made my way out. Time seemed to pass so quickly in the compound, and I realized with dread that time was running out.

Picking up my pace, I rushed over to my car. Once inside, I typed Noah's address into my GPS and turned on the engine.

Tonight we would finalize our plan and be done with C.R.O.S.S. laboratories and Dr. Grant forever.

Taking one last look at the compound, I turned my focus back ahead of me and floored the gas, taking off towards Noah's place.

It was going to be a long night.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

42.7K 2.6K 22
There's something lurking in the woods. Sent to investigate the rumors of human experimentation surrounding an esteemed genetics laboratory in the m...
72.7M 1.5M 119
*Story Contains Mature and Explicit Content* [COMPLETED] "Strangers in the dark can change your life in the light." "As I reach the front door I can'...
888 121 24
"If her head wasn't stuck under water she would have wailed and cried. Her body trembling. She had no sense of self. Hardly noticed that the water's...
431K 11.9K 35
"So?" He looked confused. "She's y- your-" I gulped. "My what Aurora?!" He exclaimed angrily. I jumped. "Don't raise your voice at me! She's your dau...