A Bad Start - A Story By Fari...

By Ladyfaree

'No, it can't be. It really is a joke, right?' Shazia asked under her breath, looking at the other women for... More

Chapter 1 - A Bad Start
Chapter 2 - The Promise
Chapter 3 - The News
Chapter 4 - The Flashback
Chapter 5 - Pearls Bistro
Chapter 6 - Husna
Chapter 7 - The Confession
Chapter 8 - The El-Muneer Story
Chapter 9 - From Tanko To El-Muneer
Chapter 10 - The Portrait
Chapter 11 - Goodbye!
Chapter 12 - Shazia Meets Amir
Chapter 13 - Crash!
Chapter 14 - Cairo
Chapter 15 - Oh Adila!!
Chapter 16 - Mrs. N
Chapter 17 - The Abduction!
Chapter 18 - Shaleed Or Khazia??
Chapter 19 - Fate
Chapter 20 - Amir And Shazia
Chapter 21 - Mujaheed!!
Chapter 22 - Life
Chapter 23 - Shazia El-Muneer!!
Chapter 24 - The Appointment
Chapter 25 - Mr. And Mrs. Aadeel
Chapter 26 - PayBack..
Chapter 27 - Fahad El-Muneer
Chapter 28 - Forgiveness
Chapter 30 - Decency!
Chapter 31 - Marital Bliss
Writer's Note 💜

Chapter 29 - The Mask Party

42 13 25
By Ladyfaree

Shazia reluctantly entered the elevator and went back to her room carrying her paper bag. She was missing him already. 

She kept the bag on a sofa in the room. 'O Allah! I really love Aadeel. Thank you for this wonderful gift of Aadeel'. She screamed as she jumped onto her bed. 

'Please don't break me'. Laura commented. 

'Umm Mujaheed!!'. Shazia hugged her excitedly. 'Sorry I didn't see you there. I really missed you. When did you get here?' 

'When you were busy cuddling your husband in the presence of his friends'. Laura teased. 'Missed me? I am sure you didn't even remember you. All you think about these days is Aadeel'. She laughed. 

'Wait! You saw us?'. Shazia asked with eyes wide open. 'Who else saw us?' 

'Abby and Ummy'. 

'Oh my God! What would they think? What will they say?'. Shazia was unhappy. 

'Shazee chill please! I am kidding, I was the only one. I saw his car outside when I came so I knew you were together and I decided to go greet him'. 

'Thank God!' She breathed a sigh of relief. 

'Even if they saw you in that position, they wouldn't say anything. He's your husband after all'. Laura burst out laughing mischievously. 

'I don't trust this laughter'. She pouted. 'So did Abby and Ummy see me or not please?' Laura kept laughing hard remembering the scene. 'Laura!!!' 

'I promise you they didn't. I went there alone'. 

'Thank God!'. Shazia sighed, jokingly throwing pillows at Laura for such a huge joke. 

'Chill! You know I am pregnant'. 

'SubhanAllah! You are? I am sorry I didn't know'. 

'Well I am not! If I was, you'd be the first person to know'. She paused. 'But how else will I get you to stop throwing pillows at me?' Laura ran into the bathroom laughing. 

'Laura will never change!' Shazia said to herself laughing. She remembered Aadeel and she longed to hear his voice. 'I won't call him while he's driving. I'll just patiently wait, I know he'll call me when he's safely at home God willing'. She thought, smiling to herself for no reason. Then she remembered the paper bag, took it and brought out the contents. Shazia was awestruck. 

Laura came out of the room to meet a dumbfounded Shazia. 'What are you staring at?' She asked her. 

'The gifts Ahyaan brought from his trip'. 

'Aww, so nice of him'. 

'You don't understand Laura, this is too much'.

'Nothing is too much for his wife'. 

'10 designer Abayas, a custom iPhone 12 Pro Max, Tom Ford Santal Blush and Bitter Peach perfumes and a Rolex Oyster Perpetual DateJust wristwatch. This wristwatch is far more expensive than mine. Everose gold and diamonds model Laura, we are talking millions of naira'. That was when Laura understood what she meant. 

'I didn't know he was this wealthy'. Laura commented. 

'Me neither. But that's not the point. Even for a wealthy man, this is still too much'. Just then, Shazia's phone began ringing. After realizing it was a FaceTime call, she instantly began blushing. 

'Lover girl'. Laura teased. Shazia gave Laura a tongue out before picking up the call. 

'Assalamu alaikum. Good afternoon Ahyaan'. 

'Wa alaikumussalam. Noorie, how are you?' 

'I am fine, alhamdu lilLah. Hope you arrived home safely' 

They spoke for a while before she complained about the gifts. 

'Ahyaan, JazakAllah khairan (May Allah SWT reward  you with goodness) for the gifts. It's not like I don't appreciate them, but these things are too much please'. 

'Nothing is too much for my wife. And please Noorie, you don't have to thank me for anything, I am your husband, it's my responsibility to take good care of you'. Shazia blushed and she looked so beautiful he wished she was by his side. 'I'll be sending our drivers with the lefe tomorrow after Asr In Shaa Allah'. He informed her. 

'But I thought Abby said lefe shouldn't be done'. 

'Ohh sorry, this isn't lefe. It's a gift from me to my queen'. 

Shazia had no choice but to give in. 'Okay, may Allah SWT spare our lives till then. Thank you so mu…'. 

'Noorie!' He called and she stopped her sentence halfway, bursting into fits of laughter. They talked for a while before bidding each other goodbye. 

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Aadeel's Residence - 8th March, 2021. 

'Thank you so much for today'. Aadeel wholeheartedly thanked his friends. 

'It's nothing, I'm just glad everything has been sorted out. At least now we can attend the celebrations in peace'. Khaleed informed him, sighing. 

'Same'. Naeem affirmed. 'May Allah SWT bless the union'. 

'Aamiin aamiin'. Aadeel and Khaleed chorused.

'I just can't wait for the wedding reception. I'm already picturing Gentle the groom!'. Khaleed paused. 'Who would have thought Aadeel will ever fall in love?? But there this guy was, shamelessly cuddling his wife in our presence'. He teased and the friends laughed. 

'I'm also finding it hard to believe that myself. It all happened so fast! And I'm really sorry I did that in your presence, it sincerely wasn't intentional'.

'Don't mind Khaleed please, he very well knows you got carried away'. Naeem told Aadeel. 'Besides, can you blame him? He was away from her for 10 days'. He reminded Khaleed. 

The friends continued talking about the wedding plans before Khaleed brought up another issue. 

'Hope things have settled between you and Husnah'.  

'Hmm, I'm praying over it'. Naeem facepalmed. 

'Why don't you discuss it with her? Apologise if you must and resolve issues? Communication is key in every successful relationship'. Aadeel reminded him. 

'She doesn't even listen to me. And the only way she communicates with me is through messages. It's really childish!!'. Naeem sounded really frustrated. 'I can't even complain to Umma about it, she'll definitely take sides again. Besides, I wouldn't want to be involving 3rd parties in my marital affairs. I'll just give her time, things will eventually get sorted out God willing. But I sincerely hope I don't lose my patience before then'.

'It shall be well In Shaa Allah' Aadeel assured him. 

'Thank you both, for always being there. Sometimes I feel I don't deserve your friendship'. Naeem was being honest. 

'Stop that please!!'. Aadeel reprimanded and Khaleed laughed hard.

The friends talked for a while before Naeem checked his wristwatch. 

'I should get going, I want to pray Magrib at home'. 

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Naeem's Residence - 8th March, 2021

Even though Husnah doesn't talk to her husband, she misses him whenever he's not at home and as usual, she kept staring at the wall clock as she set the table. She perfumed the house before going back to her room to have her bath. 

Husnah came back to Naeem's parlour dressed in a short navy blue evening sheath gown, with a long slit. 'What's keeping this guy? It's almost 6:30pm'. She wondered. Just then, he honked at the gate and she sighed. She quickly ran back to her parlour, sat at a prominent position, crossed her legs and started pressing her phone. 

'Assalamu alaikum'. Naeem voiced, as he breathed the soothing scent of the incense  deeply. He sighed before walking to her parlour. 'Assalamu alaikum'. He greeted again. 

'Wa alaikumussalam. Welcome back'. She replied with a text message. Naeem stood for minutes staring at her as if trying to figure out something about her body and she began feeling uncomfortable. He opened his mouth to talk but nothing came out so he just shook his head, turned and left. 

Some 10 minutes later, Naeem came down dressed in a jallabiya and headed to the Mosque. 

He returned from the mosque some minutes after 8 extremely hungry but was too angry to eat her food so he drank Yoghurt from the fridge and went to bed without saying a word to Husnah. He was getting fed up with her childish attitude. 

Husnah waited hours hoping he'd come back and eat but he didn't so she cleared the table in tears. She cried herself to bed that night remembering all the effort she put into making what she made for dinner. 

The next day, she refused to make breakfast and Naeem didn't bother - He actually wasn't expecting it. He had breakfast at the office and later returned home late. 

They however reconciled the next morning - She made breakfast, and he ate!  

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

El-Muneer Residence - 9th March, 2021.

Only few family and friends were invited over for the 'tarbon lefe'. There were not more than 20 ladies in the family living room. Coincidentally, Shazia's maternal relatives arrived earlier that day for the wedding celebration which was less than 10 days away. This time, even Aunt Zahra, Anisa and Ali came along. 

Trays of finger foods ranging from samosas, spring rolls, chicken pies, mini pizzas, cakes slices, puff-puff, burgers, club sandwiches, mini lasagna, beef and chicken kebab etc., drinks and chafing dishes containing varieties of traditional and intercontinental delicacies were neatly arranged on the dining table. Everything was made by the El-Muneer Chefs.

Hajiya Naima exchanged pleasantries with the guests, gave Hajiya Huda the gratuity and left for her section. 

Shazia, Zulaiha, Anisa, Laura, Najma and Dalila were in Shazia's section gisting.

'I am super excited about the mask party, I've never attended one'. Najma screamed. 

'Same here. I just can't wait! Like I'm literally counting down to it….' Dalila added.

'Thank God I'm not the only one'. Laura laughed. 

'9 days to go'. The girls chorused avidly. 

At exactly 4:15pm, 2 hilux cars parked and Laura who was peeping through the window shrieked with delight. 'They are here! They are here!' She danced.

'Quick! Let's go or we will miss the fun part'. Najma warned, pulling Anisa from the bed. 

'Bye Shazee. See you later'. Laura teased. 

'Miss us, okay?' Najma stuck her tongue out. Shazia rolled her eyes laughing. The girls ran down the stairs chanting excitedly. 

The escorts helped the drivers take the boxes into the house. 20 boxes and 5 baskets were neatly arranged in the family living room and the girls kept 'awwwning'. Hajiya Huda gave the drivers 2 bundles of ₦1000 notes each and they left happily, thanking the family and praying for the couple. She ordered the girls to open the boxes. 

'Awww! This is so beautiful'. Laura commented, raising a set of 'Forget-Me-Not Pink Sapphire and Diamond Drop Earrings' by Harry Winston.

'The ring is even more beautiful'. Dalila raised the Forget-Me-Not Pink Sapphire and Diamond Ring, admiring it. 

'If we keep spending this much time admiring everything, don't you think we will sleep here considering it's been more than 15 minutes but we are still not done with 2 boxes yet?' Hajiya Huda teased, smilingly. 

'Sorry mummy'. Dalila pulled her ears laughing. 

An hour and half later, the guests were done seeing the contents of the boxes and baskets. 

'This is amazing, may Allah SWT bless the marriage and protect the couple from the evil eye'. Hajiya Naja'atu prayed. 

'Aamiin aamiin'. Everyone chorused.

The guests ate  before bidding Hajiya Naima goodbye. She thanked them wholeheartedly and they all left. 

*****

Later that Day

The El-Muneer family members checked out the lefe together. Shy Shazia had to be forced by Fahad to see it along with her family. 

'I don't even know why Aadeel went ahead to do the lefe. I specifically told Alhaji Ahmad we don't need anything, everything should be done when Shazia goes to her husband's house. And this is even too much!' Alhaji El-Muneer complained. 'I think it should be returned to them'. Alhaji El-Muneer advised. 

'Yes Abby, I also think so'. Fahad seconded. 

'No, this is not how it is done'. Hajiya Naima informed them. 'Taking it back might be misunderstood. The best thing is for Shazia to talk to Aadeel about it. Perhaps he might agree to take some back or at least keep them till she's in his house'.

'Ummy, he will not accept them back. He said it's a gift from him to me, not lefe. He doesn't even let me thank him'. Shazia shyly replied. 'And If I complain about them, he will not be happy'. 

'I think the best option is to discuss it with his mother'. Alhaji El-Muneer told Hajiya Naima. 

'Okay, let me try that'. 

Hajiya Naima dialled Hajiya Batool's line and after some seconds she picked up. Pleasantries were exchanged and they asked after each other's family. 

'The things are so beautiful, Ma Shaa Allah. May Allah SWT bless you abundantly'. Hajiya Naima prayed.

'Aamiin aamiin. And you too'. Hajiya Batool responded. 

'But don't you think these things are too much?' 

'Nothing is too much for my daughter'. Hajiya Batool affirmed. 'My only wish is for Allah SWT to bless, guide and protect them and to spare our lives to see our grandchildren'. The women talked for a while before hanging up. The El-Muneers had no option but to accept the 'gift' that way.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Naeem's Residence -  11th March, 2021

'If you don't mind, I'd like to invite Aadeel and Khaleed over for lunch please'. Naeem informed Husnah who was watching TV in her parlour. 

'It's okay. They can come over'. She replied in a message. 

'Thank you'. He uttered. 'What do you need?' He asked. 

'I'll send you a list'. She messaged. 

'Okay, I'll be waiting'. He said, shaking his head. 'Isn't she tired of this attitude?' He thought, walking away. He sent an invitation to his friends before stepping out to get the groceries. 

Naeem got everything on the list and headed back home. 

Husnah was already in the kitchen by the time he arrived. He sorted out everything on the kitchen island and asked if she needed help. She shook her head indicating 'no' and he left. 

2 hours later, the table was all set and the nice scent of vanilla and raspberry rose incense filled the air.

Naeem returned from the Mosque with his friends and he called Husnah. 

'Assalamu alaikum'. Husnah greeted them as she walked down the stairs.

'Wa alaikumussalam our bride'. Khaleed teased and Husnah covered her face shyly. 

'Good afternoon'. She further greeted. 

'How have you been?' Aadeel asked. 

'Fine, alhamdu lilLah'. She responded. 

'Hope you're taking good care of our friend'. Khaleed inquired. 

Husnah stole a glance at Naeem before looking down. 'I am trying my best'. Naeem looked at her intently. 

'Good. May Allah SWT continue to grant us ease in all our affairs'. Aadeel prayed. 

'Aamiin aamiin'. They all chorused.

'Food is on the table. Please feel at home'. She voiced. She bid them farewell and went to her parlour. Naeem kept looking at her till she disappeared.

'Don't worry, it shall be well soon God willing. Just be patient, this is a test and you'll pass it In Shaa Allah'. Aadeel who noticed how Naeem was admiringly looking at his wife comforted him. Naeem nodded then led his friends to the dining table. The friends kept complimenting Husnah's food as they ate and Naeem was glad. 

The trio went back to the parlour and continued gisting. They later thanked Husnah for the meal and left. Naeem wholeheartedly thanked his wife for the hospitality. 

'It's nothing'. She replied in a message as usual. 

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Aadeel's Residence - 12th March, 2021.

Aadeel informed Shazia that he was coming to pick her and Laura up in the evening so they could go see their residence and Shazia informed Laura who was all excited about it. 

As promised, Aadeel picked them up at 4:30pm. It was a 7 minutes drive to the house. 

Aadeel's residence is situated in his father's compound at Kinshasa Road. It is a 2 storey building with two entrances, one through the main mansion and the other from the road. It is exactly the same plan as Amir's with minor differences, being that Aadeel's house is made of marble, dark wood and also glass. 

'This is beautiful'. Laura shrieked, pointing at Shazia's portrait in Aadeel's parlour.

'I absolutely love it'. Shazia added. 

'It's a gift from Naeem, he painted it himself'. Aadeel informed them. There was no need to add additional information, they already knew it must have been when he was in love with Shazia. 

Shazia felt like she was having a déjà vu as they walked round the house and her head kept spinning. 'No, this isn't like Amir's house, I am only hallucinating'. She kept telling herself. 

'This is my best part of the house'. Aadeel told the girls as they walked to the large magnificent garden.

'It's extremely beautiful'. Laura complimented. Shazia nodded in agreement. 

At the Garden, there's a Grey half cone Garden Day Bed With Footstool and Coffee Table so the couple sat there. Laura sat on a solo lounger.

'Is there anything that needs to be changed?' Aadeel asked Shazia. 

'No, everything is perfect. I love it'. She assured him, shyly.

'I'm glad'. He responded, pecking her on both cheeks. 'Laura, how far with the wedding preparations?' 

'Everything is going perfectly, alhamdu lilLah. My only problem is the bride'. Laura paused, while rolling her eyes dramatically. 'She doesn't want to attend the events'. 

'Oh, I see'. Aadeel commented. 'Why doesn't my baby want to attend our wedding events?'. He directed the question at Shazia, who shyly looked away. 'She'll attend God willing, don't worry. Just continue planning the events'. He assured Laura who was excited. She knew Shazia would definitely attend now - she does anything that will make Aadeel happy as long as it's lawful. 

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

The Mask Party - 18th March, 2021

Pearl's Bistro was beautifully decorated with garlands, confetti balloons, party strobe lights, dimmers, signage and more. There was a huge customised photo backdrop decorated with balloons and also a fancy party banner with 'Welcome to Shazia's Mask Party' written on it. The tablescaping was done in an extremely elegant way. 

Shazia stepped out of the car fashionably dressed in a Chi-Ka Collection Silk Kimono Dusty Rose Floral Abaya with its matching head scarf. Her friends were all dressed in burgundy evening gowns. 

Just outside the venue, 2 bouncers handed party masks to every guest attending the party. Everyone's mask is dusty rose while the bride's is burgundy. 

Props were kept on a table and all girls made their choice. 'It's my day, girls' prop was given to Shazia to hold. 

'I want this'. Najma said, pointing at the 'I'm next' prop. 

'But you are not next, Najma. That should be for Dalila'. Zarah argued. 

'Who knows? Perhaps my luck might change'. Najma teased and the girls laughed. 

The party started in full swing and it was fun. Varieties of finger foods and mocktails were served. The girls danced and also played games like 'find the guest', 'whose memory?', 'dancing competition' etc. Adila was there, but because everyone had masks on, Shazia didn't know. 

It was later announced that the groom was coming into the venue and the girls were super excited. Aadeel came in with his best friends, immediately walked over to his wife and hugged her, pecking her on both cheeks. The girls 'awwwned' as they took snapshots of the couple. 

Photographs were taken with the couple and Adila walked over to take pictures with them last. 

'Hey. Congratulations'. She told Aadeel in a British accent as they hugged. 

'Who is this lady hugging Aadeel? Such guts!' Shazia felt jealous. 'But she must be a close relative for him to have hugged her'. She shrugged off the feeling knowing Aadeel won't just hug some random girl. 'One would have mistaken her voice for Adila's, without the accent'

Adila took off her mask for the photographs but Shazia, whose mask was also off, didn't notice.. In fact, none of Shazia's friends did as they were all busy doing one thing or the other. 

Shazia and Aadeel played 'the wedding shoe' game and it was really entertaining. Guests were amazed at how well they knew each other.

Wedding gifts were given to the couple, some friends gave speeches to celebrate them and later wedding souvenirs were shared. The event ended on a high note. 

End of Chapter 29.

Awww.. Please I also want a mask party 🥺🥺😂😂

Ha'ah!! Aadeel, why so romantic? Easy abeg, some of us are still single 😢😂😂

Husnah and her wahala, I want to flog that girl first then knock some sense into her head🚶🏽‍♀️🚶🏽‍♀️

So sorry I couldn't update on Friday. I travelled and I've been really busy.

But good news, we are rounding up Shazia's story soon In Shaa Allah..

Please like (by pressing the star button below), comment and share.

Thank you 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 503 28
Ayeza was a modern girl,a lawyer by profession,all bubbly,full of life without worries.Getting entangled into a mystery of puzzles wasn't on her list...
31.6K 1.4K 68
The tale of separation and reunion of two childhood friends who were destined to be together. ________________________________ It's a story of two ch...
13.6K 4.9K 43
Misfortune. Easy to pronounce yet difficult to face. * *blurb* "In the dim light of her room, amidst a storm of emotions, she shatters her glasses...
669K 25.7K 46
"I'm coming directly to the point. I'm not interested in this marriage. I'm only here because of the pressure from the elders. At the moment, I'm dat...