𝙷𝚒𝚜 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝, 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙵𝚞�...

By Megan_Idek

A young baker named Y/n L/n, cheery and bright even when she's barely making a living for herself An older m... More

welcome!
chapter one
chapter two
chapter Three
Chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight

chapter four

1.3K 35 15
By Megan_Idek

╔.★. .═════════════╗

Chapter four: Ghost of
Christmas yet to come

╚ ═════════════. .★.╝

“We are no longer in the present. This is the future. This is what is yet to come.”

Everything slowed back down to its normal speed, Scrooge looked up at the new ghost in front of him who did not say a word, just stared at Scrooge,  “Are you still in there, giant? The fellow in the green robes? Liked life and so forth?” He hummed in thought. 

“No. You are something else entirely.” I answered, looking up at the ghost.

Scrooge stared at the new ghost, standing up, he cleared his throat, “You don't speak?” Silence… I wished it would, “ Your colleagues were rather fond of speaking. More than I would have liked… So you are the one that will show me what awaits if I do not change my ways?” He asked, no response,  “Yes? So I should change, should I?”

The only thing that could be seen behind the cloak was searing red eyes, the ghost continued to stare at Scrooge without so much as batting an eye at me. The only thing that could be seen behind the cloak was searing red eyes, the ghost continued to stare at Scrooge without so much as batting an eye at me.“Why? Tell me.” He began again,  “I live my life as well as I can. I have my faults, but who does not, truly?” Scrooge paced up and down, “Are all others I've been shown this night without blame? Am I the only one with the power to change my life? To change the lives of others?” Scrooge’s voice began to rise into a yell, “Tell me!”

Scrooge sighed, knowing he would not get an answer, “Oh, very well. Lead on. Show me what bleak future my wickedness has wrought. And, yes, nobody can see
or hear me, I know.” He muttered. 

The ghost raised his bony hand and pointed in the direction of Scrooge’s shop, I looked over and saw crowds gathering around, “Ladies and gentlemen!” A voice shouted, a voice you recognized to be Tom Jenkins, the toy shop owner.

Scrooge raised an eyebrow, “I know that fellow. Jenkins. Owes me Twenty five... No, fifty pounds.”

I gasped, “Fifty pounds?! How on earth did he get into so much debt?”

“I gave him two extra days for a debt, my generosity had to come with a cost.” Scrooge shrugged when he explained his thought process as we walked over to the crowds. “I must say he looks uncommonly happy for a man so deep in debt..”  

“We are gathered here as a group,” Tom Jenkins announced, “United by a common bond. Namely, our feelings of gratitude to Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge!” 

Scrooge stepped closer,  “How could a man in debt show so much gratitude?” he looked around at the crowd, “Now I think of it, most of these people in this rabble owe me money.” 

Everyone began to cheer, singing and dancing. I placed my finger on my chin, “What did you do for such applause? Most certainly didn't forget about all their debts… that's out of character for you.” I hummed. “Yet you let me out of a debt…” A smirked slightly.

Scrooge scoffed, “That was… different.” He turned around to face the ghost, “You are showing me What will happen if I do not change? I did not change, yet I am celebrated. And rightly so. These creatures have finally come to their senses. That's it. Ha!” Scrooge laughed.

I heard a muffled crying along the side of the crowd, I looked over, and there stood me, crying next to a wagon. Next to me stood Harry who was comforting me. I walked over slightly, “Hey, hey, it's okay Y/n.” Harry hushed me who was now crying on his shoulder, “I never knew you felt this way about that old man.” 

I wiped the tears off my face, “I’m sorry, Harry. I… I just thought I could have helped him.” another tear fell down my face, “Before it was too late.” 

“You did more than enough.” Harry insisted, “He just refused to accept it.” 

I walked back over to Scrooge, a feeling in my chest that something wasn't alright. “Sir, I-” 

“Isn't it wonderful!” Scrooge interrupted, “They're cheering for me!” 

“No, it's something much weirder.” I pointed to future me out with Harry.

“I say that is strange.” Scrooge commented, “What aren't you cheering me on like the rest are doing?” 

“I have no idea, Sir.” I hummed in thought,

Scrooge chose to ignore it as he followed the rest of the town, enjoying all the praise he was getting. I followed, the feeling getting worse as I walked. Scrooge was definitely not a popular chap with the London folks, and it seemed to be only me crying while everyone cheered with joy… Could it possibly be Mr. Scrooge had pass-  No, that's horrendous to think! Could they really sink that low?

 After a short walk, We landed in a place that may have confirmed my thoughts, the cemetery. “Sir…” I pointed again to my future self who was walking into the cemetery and along a path. “We need to follow.” 

The rest of the town departed as the wagon went past the gates in the cemetery, I gently grabbed Scrooge’s arm as we followed future me up to a tiny Cross. By the time you got there, Scrooge’s cocky smile soon turned to fear and dread. 

Bob…

He was kneeling at the grave with his daughter Katherine. He lit a candle and placed some flowers down, trying to keep himself together. Future me walked over to the grave, eyes red and puffy, “I’m sorry I couldn't come sooner, I was saying my goodbye to him.” 

Bob stood up, he stumbled over, and wrapped his arms around me. He completely broke down on my shoulder, I gently rubbed his back, comforting him. “My little boy… Gone.” He bawled into the future me’s shoulder.

I looked at the grave, my heart shattered once I saw the tiny crutch, “Tim…” I gasped.

“He died…” Scrooge choked, tears falling down his face rapidly, “No, no, no, no!” more tears fell down his face, “They couldn't pay for it…”

Scrooge continued to watch through his blurred eyes. Bob let go of my shoulder and knelt back down  to speak to his child,  “I must go now, my little man.” He sobbed, “I promised your mother I'd help with Christmas dinner, but…” Bob sniffed trying not to cry again,  “I'll come and see you again tomorrow. Same time, all right? He broke down sobbing on his son’s grave, “I promise I'll be back tomorrow to see you… I promise.”  

I  continued to watch as future me, Bob and little Katherine walked away, I looked over to Scrooge, who was a broken mess. Tears fell down my face too as I fell on my knees next to Tim's grave, my mind kept rewinding the conversation I had with him in my bakery, ‘L/n’s and Cratchit’s, I can see it now.’ 

Scrooge knelt down beside me, “I could've done more… I could've done something.” he sighed, “Poor Tiny Tim..” Scrooge looked down, he sighed, “Friend, you have shown me a Christmas yet to come that mixes great joy with greater sorrow. Tell me, is this what will be, or what may be?” He asked,  “If I were to change, would all this still come to pass?”

I turned around when I heard some men chuckling while singing songs as they walked happily.  The cart from before was being brought up a hill.  We stood up carefully from our knees and made our way over. As we climbed the snowy hill, Scrooge grabbed my arm, sniffling.

 Two men shoved a coffin into the hole, no respect given at all, the priest sighed, “Gentlemen, please.”

“Sorry, Father. But you reap what you sow.” Jenkins faked an apology. “Is that not what your Good Book says?” He smiled happily throwing his debt into the grave, “I wouldn't hang about for any mourners. Nobody's sorry to see this one go.  Nobody who doesn't walk on all fours anyway.”

We looked down, there sat poor Prudence who sat with her head down, next to her owner's tombstone, Scrooge’s grip tightened on my arm once he realised whose grave this was. His very own… He fell to his knees in shock,  “Scrooge…” a voice spoke.

Everything around us turned to dust, leaving me, Prudence and Scrooge alone with the ghost and his grave. Just then a blue flash grew from the ground, wrapped in chains with gold coins for eyes. It was the ghost of Scrooge… I gasped, looking at what was to come to him if he did not change tonight. 

The world around us began to freeze over, Scrooge cowered in fright when the ghost of yet to come began to move towards him, “Spare me…” 

Scrooge and I began to back away, “Let me return. I will NOT become this man whose death is the cause of such celebration.” He spoke with great determination,  “Why show me this if I am past all hope?! Am I? Truly?” Scrooge asked.

Yet the ghost said nothing and carried on moving forward, towards Scrooge’s grave, He looked down at the hole which was a few inches away from him, He whimpered in fear,  “If... If I am beyond salvation, then so be it! But, please, the boy need not die.” Scrooge begged,  Not when I have it in my power to help him. I beg of you, spare me for this reason, if nothing more!” The third hour struck… Scrooge had never pleaded so passionately for anything before in his life.

“Stop!” I begged, “I beg you to see him through.” 

“Y/n,” Scrooge softly said, “My dear, it warms my heart that you care for my foolish self. But I ask you to move.” I look at him with tears brimming in my eyes and step aside next to Prudence.

“I swear to honor Christmas in my heart and keep it there the whole year through. I will learn from the past, live only in the present, and strive for a better future.” Scrooge said strongly,  “For all!” Chains grew out from the ground where future Scrooge's body lay, they wrapped around Scrooge and began to pull him closer,  “Tell me I may yet strike the writing from the boy's cross!” He pleaded,  grunting as the chains pulled him harder and harder,  “Tell me I may yet break this chain! Please!”

“Ebenezer!” I screamed, Grabbing hold of him.

The spirit disappeared into thin air, Scrooge yelled as the chains pulled once more dragging him into his grave. I kept a tight hold of him,  as the chains pulled even harder, Scrooge looked down, “Let go.” He spoke softly. 

I refused, looking away from Scrooge, “No! I can't let you go…” 

“Y/n, look at me.” He spoke sternly, “If you love me, let me go.” He whispered. 

A tear fell from my face and into the void, “I do, Ebenezer. I always will.” My hand slipped as the chains pulled even harder. The last thing I heard was Scrooge yelling as he fell into the abyss. “EBENEZER!” I shrieked. Before I could react any further the rest of the scene disappeared. Including me.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Ah, it's fluff ahead from here!

Should I continue this book after the next chapter? Perhaps one-shots of their life after? Let me know if you're interested!

So for now, cya later!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 410 32
Book Two 1/2!! Scrooge x reader/OC - (female pronouns) Scrooge's life has been one wild ride but one person that has keep him sane, ___(Y/N)___. One...
2.9K 120 7
Yay! This is about Drew now! Another short fanfic made by yours truly- even though i have other things to do... :3 Synopsis: Drew did not like Christ...
430 33 18
𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓻 ɴᴏᴠᴇʟʟᴀ (+18) Through all the hardships they had to face, there was something that never wavered; their friendship. Lex, a sup...
519K 15.9K 59
AN OPPOSITES ATTRACT ROMANCE WITH BITE! **** 'Do you feel that? That's the sound of an alive heart. I don't know what it is about you, Candice, but s...