Star-gazing: Eric Coulter

Von Soph1873

With Erudite and Dauntless now taking more alarming measures to keep Divergents out of Chicago, it's a race a... Mehr

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 4

1K 15 3
Von Soph1873

TW: swearing, violence, heavy drinking

Song: I need you
Artist: M83

Layla's pov:
"Look who is still alive!" Shauna examined, as I entered the cafeteria and sat in the middle of their bench (between her and Zeke). I laughed at her statement and thanked her for helping me out yesterday. She truly was an amazing friend.
"Hey man..." I started, turning to my other side where Zeke was trying to hold back a hysterical laughing fit. I whacked his shoulder lightly, "You know what? Just shut up."
Suddenly, Zeke started laughing since my outburst. Four leaned over the table, "What's he laughing about?" He smiled, confused as ever at Zeke and I's antics. "What've they done now?"
Sending Zeke a glare, I told Four and the rest of the group. "Nothing." Still making sure my friend didn't say a word, "Nothing has happened."
"Liar." He muttered, carrying on laughing.
"Zip it Zeke, or you'll end up at the bottom of the chasm." I threatened.
"Surely it can't be that bad..." Shauna said.
"It can be." Zeke stopped laughing and pouted, I smacked his shoulder again.
"It's normal." I interrupted, "Everyone here does it, I don't see why it's such a big problem."
Zeke shared a face that showed half amusement and half disgust, "It's just not what I want to hear when I'm trying to sleep after coming back from back-to-back shifts!"
I saw Four smirk from the corner of my peripheral vision, "Wait did Zeke walk in on you and Eric?" He fake gagged, I shook my head as I looked away in embarrassment.
"No, it was worse." Zeke strained his voice, acting as if it traumatised him. He started to whisper as I caught Eric's eye from his perch on his leaders table with Max. "The walls are thin!"
"No!" Shauna shouted a bit too loud -I put my head in my hands at their antics- before she lowered her voice again, "Not the walls!"
"You are so dramatic." I sighed, glancing over at Tori, "What now?"
A smirk appeared on her face, "Don't worry I can sympathise with you Zeke. I've heard the two of the go at it before and it's not pretty." I fake gagged.
"Can we please stop talking about my sex life now." I shook my head, everyone became extremely quiet in a number of seconds.
"Incoming." I turned my head to see if they were nervous about Eric (which they usually weren't) but it wasn't, it was a couple of the initiates walking up to our table. I recognised one of them as Zeke's little brother, Uriah.
"Hello, big brother." He said, standing in front of our bench. Zeke rolled his eyes, "Ezekiel-"
"It's Zeke, you know that." Zeke cut in through his sentence, clear tension was rising surprisingly quickly. I glanced at the other initiates behind him: Christina, Tris and a girl called Lynn stood there. This was taking way too long for my liking, "what is it Uriah, spit it out we don't have all day." I edged for him to speak up. The young adult then turned back to his older brother and asked, "You know that party you're hosting next month...?" Four rolled his eyes.
"Do you mean the one that initiates are forbidden to go to, Uriah?" Zeke chuckled, knowing exactly what his brother was like. "None of the initiates will be attending, that includes all of you as well." Tori explained, pointing at the other initiates behind Uriah.
"Surely you could-"
"No." Zeke interrupted again.
I decided to butt in this time, "All of leadership will be there, and if any of them see an initiate it won't be pretty. Especially if Eric catches you." I mumbled the last part- but loud enough for the teens to hear me.
"Never mind then." Uriah stated, pushing his friends away from us and down the corridor presumably down to the training room. I also needed to be there soon. But before I could leave, a pair of large hands trapped me in my seat. One hand either side of my body. A hot breath found its' way to my neck, allowing the tiny hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end. "Eric..." I heavily breathed, leaning my head backwards onto his broad shoulder.
"I need you in the training room in five, if you're helping Four and I today. Are you up for that, princess?" I nodded, my team would probably present themselves in the training room at some point in the day; meaning I could set up a meeting with them all then. We needed to discuss everything, including setting off tomorrow... I hadn't told Eric yet, or anyone that I was close with. Only Tori knew, because she walked in on me on the phone with Max earlier this morning.
"I'll come and help." I smiled, standing up as Eric's presence left.
Shauna was staring up at me in awe, "Take a picture it lasts longer." I chuckled, wondering what she was looking at that intensely.
"Sorry, you and Eric have the sweetest names for each other." She beamed, I turned to Zeke who hadn't been paying attention to Shauna and I's previous conversation. I laughed.
"I think your girl wants more, good luck mate." I patted him on the back, before leaving the cafeteria with Four- Eric long gone (after walking off a while ago).

"Poor Zeke..." Four started. I quickly pushed him, playfully, into the rough wall. He begun laughing again, putting his hands up in surrender.
"Quit it, the lot of you." I sternly told him off, whilst he attempted not to let out a laugh at any given time. His smile had doubled in size since the cafeteria incident, it was easier to talk to him when we were alone. "I'm serious Four."

An initiate sprinted down the corridor, knocking into me, on their way to the training room. I mentally cursed, "Hey! Watch it." I shouted after the boy- who was clearly running late for something. Four and I strolled around the corner as Eric Leander against the door frame, waiting for us. He nodded before we followed him inside, for more training.

"Initiates!" Four yelled rather suddenly, almost making me flinch- because of how close he was to my ear. "Go to your assigned training mats and continue training for your fights next week!"
"They'll need it." I mumbled, walking over to Eric at the scoring board. "Can I help with the fights?" He nodded and held his tablet in between the two of us. I read from what he'd already done: first jumper and last jumper, strongest and weakest, most likely to get first and most likely to become factionless. "You're getting better every year." I smiled, leaning into his side.
"Max says otherwise." He grumbled, placing his electronic onto the table beside the board.
"How so?" I asked him, he sighed deeply. He was irritated. I could tell whenever he got like this: 'Max says this' 'Max says that'. It would only take one very small thing to make him snap-
"Fuck off man, actually do something. You're pissing me the fuck off!" One of the initiates yelled at another whom they were fighting with. Both Eric and I's heads snapped towards the direction of the sound. An initiate who I think was named 'Peter' was standing above another former Candor. I glanced over towards Eric, his arms were crossed and his eyes were darkened and almost... evil?
"Initiate." He snapped, swiftly moving across the training arena towards the guy. "Follow me." He told him. As they exited the room, I sighed and shook my head- I walked over to Four who was helping the Peter's victim. "Go to the infirmary." Four told the boy, helping him to his feet. I smiled as he was sent on his way.
"Where has Eric taken Peter?" I shrugged as Four rolled his eyes.
"Can you cover me for a bit? I just need to sort something out." I asked my friend, he agreed with me and went back to helping the initiates.

Upon exiting, I grabbed my tablet and emailed my team to meet in my office in five minutes. I ran down the grotty hallways and up the flight of stairs towards my office. "Hey. Boss!" Zigzag yelled, catching up with me, "Where'd you go yesterday, we thought you had bailed!" I chuckled and unlocked the doors.
"As if, I just had to catch up on some work. I'd never leave you guys on something like this!" I told him, sitting in front of my desk as he sat opposite me, "Are the others coming?" He nodded.
"They're saying their goodbyes." I sighed- knowing Eric was going to be pissed when he found out I was going to leave tonight. I looked to the floor, "Right, have you all packed and ready?" He nodded, showing me his large black backpack that hung on his shoulder. "Good, erm." I paused, this mission was going to be hard on all of us. "We'll have to stop down at weapons." I informed my teammate.
"Boss, we will be fine." He reassured me.
I nodded, "I know, I just have a bad feeling on this one."
"What type of feeling?" He asked, looking truly curious. I sighed; tapping my fingers on the smooth wooden desk.
"I don't know..." he looked at me with pity. I knew the look, it was as if to say I was going mental.

"You guys ready?!" I whispered, we all ran through the compound trying to avoid lingering eyes, "The train is passing in three minutes." I told my team, as we sprinted out into the free air of Chicago. It was cold due to it being evening and the atmosphere was a midnight blue. Feeling the wind brush through my high-ponytail as we waited beside the tracks (now outside the compound). I still hadn't said goodbye to Eric and I didn't plan on doing so. It did truly break my heart to do so, but I knew I couldn't tell him when I had to leave because he wouldn't authorise it and start mouthing off to Max.

The train screeched around the tight corner on the rusty, old, metal tracks as we started to run alongside it. I gave my home at Dauntless one final glance, before we clambered onto the train and made our getaway into the darkness of the light.
I love you Eric...

Eric Coulter's pov:

I stormed into Max's office in the middle of his meeting with Erudite. He looked startled at first, but soon looked as if he realised what I was furious about. "Where the fuck is she, Max?!" I yelled, scaring other members of the council.
"Eric will you calm down." Max whisper-shouted at me, "You'll end up making a fool of yourself. Excuse me guests I will be just a moment." He said, following me out of his office.
"So?" I asked, crossing my arms against my chest, "Where is my wife?" Raising my voice again, just for Max to shut me up and leave me speechless.
"She left, Eric." I felt my eyes go wide. She left?
"What the fuck do you mean she left? She had five days! Five!" I repeated myself.
"Stop shouting. Go and get yourself a drink to clear your head before you come back here and start yelling at me."
I gave up and left his office (moments later) still raging with anger.

I punched the wall, causing my knuckles to drain a red liquid and stain the wall. Luckily, it was in one of the darker corridors so it was barely visible- or that's what I thought anyways.
"Dude, you ok?" An all too familiar voice gasped behind me.
"I'm fine, Dylan." I groaned, hiding my fist behind my back. I heard him sigh and his facial expression dropped instantly when he saw the look on my face- after I had turned around. "Oh... who told, man?" He asked, dragging out each of his words. I felt rage overcome me.
"You knew?!" I yelled at him, pushing him against the stone wall and holding him up there. "You knew she was leaving and didn't tell me, Dylan what the fuck, man?" He let me take my anger out on him, I didn't know why but he had always done so. Even back in Erudite.
I let him go and he dropped onto the floor, "My apartment for drinks?" He smirked and nodded, before following me back up to Layla and I's home.

"Eric this place is a mess." Dylan stated jokingly, "Seriously man, how do you two keep your apartment this organised. Mine looks like a teenage boys."
I smirked at him and grabbed a bottle of whiskey from the cabinet, "You are a teenage boy. We're eighteen, we are basically teenagers just with huge responsibilities." I mumbled.
"Damn bro, you getting deep stuff." He laughed, I rolled my eyes and threw him a cylindrical glass. Pouring him a glass of the dark liquor, I sat beside him: kicking my shoes off and throwing them into the corner. Dylan was probably the only reason I hadn't gone off the rails whenever Layla was sent away on her 'missions' by our leader. I sighed and knocked back the booze, and poured myself another glass. "Easy there tiger." Dylan laughed, he was such a lightweight.

The next morning, I woke up groaning with a headache whilst the sunlight flooded into the room. "Fuck me." I groaned again, rubbing my eyes -remembering that Layla's was still away and wasn't going to be back for a long time...

Weeks later, I was still missing her: drinking every night (with or without Dylan), smoking joints, and just being stupid with my life. I really was a wreck without her, without my wife. It did make me wonder how I ever lived without her. Then I felt myself pass out from the high doses of alcohol. I love you, Layla...

Layla's pov:

As we camouflaged in the hill of emerald-green grass, we were lying down on our fronts, guns on their stands and our fingers on their triggers. Waiting for something to happen, waiting for someone to come out, waiting for something to happen. "Anything?" I called out on our radios, but all I got back was the crackling. I turned to face Harry, "Can you fix it, Harry?" I asked him, he shook his head.
"I've been trying to for the last twenty minutes, boss. It's not working, there's a signal blocker." I felt my face drop. Something was wrong, all of this was wrong, from the moment we arrived and set up base...

A blood-curdling scream, cocked both of our heads towards the other locations of our team. "Shit, we have to move now!" I whispered to Harry. He stopped me by putting his hand out.
"Stop, this is a trap. It has to be." "Stay down." He told me, I clicked the trigger of my gun as factionless men and women begun swarming out of their 'secret' entrance and towards us. "If we don't leave now they'll get us, we're outnumbered, Harry!" I shouted, collecting gun as he followed me. "Hurry up!"
In the distance I see Zigzag, Zak and Hassan, all running in the same direction as us- trying to escape. This wasn't right, the factionless couldn't have known we were coming, they couldn't have been this prepared- and with this many weapons.
"Where are the others?!" Harry yelled, panting as we carried on running. I looked around, gasping when I saw some members of our team kneeling down, hands above their heads while groups of factionless swarm around them. "We have to go back for them." I shook my head as we carried on running in the direction of somewhere other than here.
"Try again, call Dauntless for help. We need evac out if here." I sternly told the man.

I glance over to the three who were running, we were now running together as a group. Hassan had been shot in the stomach- Harry and Zigzag were now carrying him. Quickly, we hurried to an open bit of land where there was nothing. "Something isn't right, boss." Hassan groaned, as I wrapped his wound.
"I know, they have stopped following us." I sighed, glancing around the empty surroundings. He was right, something was off.

I paced around, "Any look with the backup?" Harry nodded.
"Backup is on their way, they'll be about an hour." Great.
I continued pacing around and started to walk in another direction, just thinking. "Guys, what are we going to do abou-"
BANG!

I feel myself scream in pain as an IED billows up beneath me. Smoke clouds my vision and I suddenly can't see my team (or the ones that were left anyway). "Harry? Zigzag?" I croak our, trying to sit up but falling back as I see the state the my leg is in. "Fuck!" I cry out again. My leg is all mangled and looks as if someone put it through a wringer, blood is all over my clothes and trouser leg. This was it. I thought to myself. This was it. This was where I was going to die. In pain and alone.
"Help!" I screamed, coughing up my last ration meal. "Please." I croaked out again, seeing a factionless man tower over me. He smirked and laughed mockingly as I lay underneath him, "Where's my team?" I yelled at him, with all the power that was left in my body.
He laughed at me again, "Dauntless are so weak. Why would the council send you on this mission. The weakest leader to ever run dauntless, you're such a failure."
Usually I would fight back, but with the amount of blood I had lost, I could feel the darkness overcome me and take me away. "I'm sorry Eric Coulter. I'll love you forever." Those were the final words I remember saying, before Harry woke me up and told me we were going to make it. He leant me against him, one arm over my shoulder holding me up, "We're going to make it, boss." I heard his voice ring, as a Dauntless vehicle pulled up and many soldiers hopped out, some of which I recognise as Eric's team but there was no Eric.

My vision faltered and I felt myself once again collapse, but this time into the safety of Harry's arms. "We need the infirmary ready when we arrive back at Dauntless, three down. I repeat three down!"

Another sharp cry erupts my lips before I'm out cold...

"We're loosing her!"

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

34.2K 912 26
╔ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╗ ║ Book Two ║ ║ of ║ ║ Three ║ ╚ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╝ Her brother is in Dauntless. Her friends h...
153K 3.1K 53
Tris has just finished her initiation. She's having a hard time getting used to all the dauntless. But mostly, having a hard time in her new relation...
313K 6.6K 42
❝ I knew, from that moment on, that nobody could ever confess, they love me, without the splintered thought of you running through my mind. Consciou...
332K 7.1K 81
Venus Eaton is desperate to escape the abuse of her previous faction although she is unaware and unprepared of the ordeals of Dauntless initiation. S...