The McCloud House

By zdforrest

Liinken, an 11-year-old wandering magician, has been on his own for as long as he could remember. His parents... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6

Chapter 5

44 1 0
By zdforrest

"Your son is gifted. More gifted than I could ever imagine."

Four-year old Liinken was listening to his parents' conversation in the other room, hiding behind the door frame leading to the other room. This tall man in ornate, flowing purple robes with a long white beard had called upon his parents. His father had addressed him as "Master", so Liinken deduced that he was a magician of great prestige, but he had never seen him before. The man had sharp features, with a long, pointed nose and cold, piercing blue eyes. He made Liinken uneasy, and did not want to be near him, but his curiosity would not allow him to miss the conversation between this man and his parents, so he kept out of sight.

"Thank you, master," said his father proudly. "Yea, Liinken has shown great prowess in his abilities. He has already read most of the books in the library, and beseeches us to buy him more each day. Truely, he will be most welcome at the Magicians' Academy."

"Yea, I do believe he will be," said the Master. "But prithee, I must ask thee to reconsider that decision."

"I beg thine pardon?" Said Liinken's mother. "But the Magician's Academy is already aware of him, and the Headmaster is most eager to -"

"His talents will be wasted there," the master interrupted impatiently. "Perhaps he will learn to be a good magician, one that is admired and respected by the licentious nobility, but he is destined for more than that."

"What art thou saying?" Asked his father, tilting his head in confusion.

"I pray, allow me to teach the boy," said the master. "Let him come learn at my home in Skhar Tower. He will receive the best tutelage, so much so that he will surpass the....pretenders at the Academy."

His parents were silent for a moment. "Pray, tell me," Liinken's father said, breaking the silence. "Were ye not once upon the Council of Masters at the Academy."

The man paused. "I was," he affirmed.

"And if my memory serves me," Liinken's father continued. "Ye were cast out for thine thoughts on the Dead Arts, as well as the Legends of the Dracokin?"

"They are not legends," said the man defensively. "And the Council were foolish and short-sighted."

"Nevertheless, Liinken is my son," said his father. "The boy will go to the Academy, where I am sure that he will receive the best education that can be offered."

"Be reasonable, sir-"

"Nay," said Liinken's father firmly. "I believe we have entertained thine prattle long enough. Ye may take thine leave."

The man cast a venomous look at Liinken's parents before standing. "Fare thee well," he said before bowing. As he turned, he looked towards the direction where Liinken was hiding, and for a brief moment, their eyes met. Liinken felt as if he had turned to stone at the man's gaze, fear creeping from his bowels into his heart. The man said nothing, but turned on his heel and left, but the feeling of dread and fear remained with Liinken.

Something told him that he would be seeing that man again.

Liinken's head felt as if it was splitting open. He groaned groggily as he began to stir. The world around him was shaking, and he could hear the sound of voices around him. As he began to come to his senses, he realized that he was in a covered wagon, surrounded by various boxes, barrels and other supplies. He had a blanket over him and a cool cloth on his forehead, with his head resting upon something soft and warm.

"Oh, thank the gods, ye are awake!"

Liinken looked up to see that he wasn't alone. Lorrea was looking down at him, his head resting in her lap. Her eyes were red and puffy, as if she had been crying, but she was smiling happily at him as he rose.

"Lorrea?" He said, looking around. "Where am I?"

"Peace, Liinken," said Lorrea, taking the cloth from his forehead and rinsing it in a bucket of water. She began to dab and gently scrub his face. "We were so frightened when we saw thee collapse, we feared ye had injured thineself."

Realization dawned on Liinken. "The Inn!" He said in horror. He remembered the attack from the undead monsters, how the inn that provided his host family both their shelter and livelihood had burned to the ground, and the family who had sheltered and fed him had almost lost their lives.

"Liinken..." Lorrea began.

"It's all my fault," said Liinken in despair. "Please, my lady, forgive me."

"Liinken," said Lorrea, giving the poor boy a hug. "Ye are not to blame for what happened. We may have lost our home, but we were more concerned for thee. When ye collapsed we feared the worst. I...I was afraid that ye-"

"Liinken's awake!"

Lorrea and Liinken looked up to see the younger Lynne McCloud peering into the back of the wagon, her eyes brimming with happiness. Soon the wagon came to a stop, and the canvas flaps flew open to reveal the entire McCloud family staring and chattering happily as he and Lorrea made their way out.

"Thank the gods, we feared you would never awaken," said Reitha, holding a laughing Lillian in her arms.

"How fare thee, my lad?" Said Lynne the Elder, helping Liinken down from the wagon.

"I am well," said Liinken. He was soon surrounded by the McCloud daughters, all who were embracing him. "Where are we?"

"We are on the main road," said Lynne the Elder. "We are going to the Capital."

"The Capital?" Asked Liinken, surprised. "I do not understand."

"Isn't it obvious?" Said Lunara. "We are here to help ye through thy quest."

"But why?" Asked Liinken.

"There will be time for that later," said Reitha. "It is getting late, we must make camp."

Liinken was surprised as he saw the sun was setting in the West. "How long have I slept?" He asked.

"Two days," said Lorrea.

"Come, family," said Lynne the Elder. "Here is a good place. We will make camp and I will prepare a stew."

The family quickly got to work as they set up camp for the night. Several tents were erected by Lanalei, Lunarra, and Lynne the Younger, while the wagon and horses were taken care of by Lorrea and Reitha. Loela began preparing the bedrolls for each of the tents, making them look quite comfortable, while Luanna, Liselle, and Lynne the Elder prepared a fire and the meal for the evening. Liinken wanted to help, but he was gently pushed back into his seat by Leniera, who insisted that he rest himself while she tended to his needs. Soon, the sun had set, the delightful smell of stew wafted through the air, and the family were chatting and laughing happily by the fire. Only Liinken was silent among them, picking thoughtfully at his bowl of stew.

"What ails thee, Liinken?" Asked Lucielle, getting the others' attention.

"I am well," said Liinken quietly, averting her eyes.

"Ye are not," said Lucielle. "A dark cloud surrounds thee, I can sense it."

Liinken said nothing until he felt a warm pair of arms wrap around him. He looked up to see Leniera embracing him, a concerned look on her face. "Tell us what is wrong, Liinken," she said. "We wish to help thee."

"But why?" asked Liinken. The family looked confused at his question, not answering. "Why do ye wish to help me?" Liinken continued. "I have brought ruin upon thine house...I caused the destruction of your home....yet ye still bring me to the Capital....I was afraid that ye would hate me."

"Hate thee?" Asked Luanna, stunned. "Why would we hate thee?"

"It...it has happened before," said Liinken, tears welling in his eyes. There have been many times since he had first begun to wander on his own, since his parents' deaths, that he was taken in by a family only to have them cast him out and revile him as a demon or devil for his abilities. While applauded by the aristocracy, magic was often viewed as something to fear by the peasantry. Liinken was extraordinarily gifted, but it took years of practice for him to reach his current level of mastery. When he was younger, often his magic caused.....unfortunate accidents that lent him the ire of those around him. He was even driven out by an entire village after they deemed him to be cursed. The family exchanged sympathetic glances with each other before the father stood and approached Liinken, kneeling to his level and placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Lad," he said gently. "We do not hate thee. Quite the contrary. We were all so worried when ye didn't wake from your battle, we feared the worst."

"Ye have done so much for us since ye have come into our lives," said Reitha. "We would be honored to help see thine quest through to the end."

Liinken felt his heart swell with their words. He had always been distrustful of those around him, and always tried to keep himself at a distance with others. It had kept him alive thus far, after all. However, something felt different with this family. He felt his fears and his sadness slowly begin to drift away when he was around them, and felt as if he could truly be himself around them. This was a feeling hadn't felt since far longer than he could remember.

"I thank thee," said Liinken, bowing his head and smiling. "I will find a way to repay this debt. I swear it."

"There is no debt to repay, my lad," said Lynne the Elder. "Ye saved my family's life. Ye saved my life, twice, and that is a debt I can never repay. We lost our home, yes, but what matters to us is that we are all safe, including you."

"Ye were incredible against those monsters!" Said the younger Lynne excitedly. "I knew ye were more powerful than ye pretended to be. I have never seen anything like it!"

"Speaking of," said Liselle. "I have been wanting to inquire of you since we left the inn. What....what were those things?"

Liinken's smile faltered. "A nightmarish creature born from the darkest of magics," he said darkly. "They are the undead, the rotting bodies of poor souls forcibly risen from their peace and enthralled to the will of their master: a Necromancer."

The family gasped in shock. "But....that's just a myth," said Luanna. "A bedtime story to frighten children."

"They are real," said Lucielle, shocking the rest of the family. "Communication with the dead is a sacred practice, but Necromancers perverted this practice, compelling the dead to rise in horrific slavery."

"How do ye know this, daughter?" Asked Lynne the Elder.

The family awaited Lucielle's answer, but she grew silent. Liinken's eyes narrowed as he considered her. There was something odd about the way she spoke about the subject. She was addressing it reverently, as if it was of great importance to her. Of course, she was right, communication with the dead was a sacred practice, this was common knowledge, but her knowledge of Necromancy seemed to go deeper than the surface area. He was roused from his thoughts when he heard Loela ask a question. "But prithee, what is a Necromancer? I have never heard of them."

"Until now, I thought they were only legends," said Reitha.

"At one time, they were," said Liinken. "Necromancy is a forbidden magic that has been lost to time, or so we have been told. In the Great Purge of the Second Age of Kings, the Knights of the Hammer Guard and the Council of Masters came together, where they killed or captured every last practitioner and destroyed all of their works. Every spellbook and every scroll was cast into the fire. For five thousand years it was believed the practice was lost to time, until seven years ago."

"What happened then?" Asked Lorrea.

Liinken paused. He was hesitant to say any more than this, as he had shut his heart long ago, severing his trust in others completely. But this family had sacrificed so much for him, cared for him when he was ailing, and were walking headlong into danger, all for his sake. He had to tell them what they were getting into by traveling with him. He owed them that much.

"These monsters were the same that killed my parents," said Liinken, his voice cracking slightly. The family looked at the boy in shock. Leniera held him tighter as he began to tremble, tears streaming down his cheeks. "It is the very reason I travel to the Capital."

"Why?" Asked Lorrea.

"Because the man who set these monsters upon my family will be there," said Liinken. "I know he will be there. And even if he is not, at least I can have a clue as to where he may be hiding."

"Who is he?" Asked Lynne the Younger.

"I know not his name," said Liinken. "All I know is that he hails from Skhar Tower."

"Skhar Tower?" Asked Reitha. "That accursed place has been abandoned for years."

"Aye," said Liinken. "I managed to find it last month after years of searching, only to find it in ruins. My only hope of finding this man is the Census."

"And what will you do once you find him?" Asked Lorrea.

Liinken didn't answer right away. "I will avenge my parent's deaths, and rid the world of his evil," he said finally. "Or I will perish in the attempt."

The family grew silent. They atmosphere grew heavy

"Then we will get you there," said Lynne the Elder.

"But I cannot ask you to risk your lives," said Liinken. "Ye have done too much for me already."

"We may not be magicians, or warriors," Lunara began.

"Speak for thyself, minstrel," said Lynne the Younger crossly.

"But there must be ways that we can help ye, and we will see that we do," Lunara finished after shooting a glare at the younger Lynne. "Right?" She added to the family.

"Aye!" They all shouted at once.

Liinken was overwhelmed. He had never known such kindness before. "It is late, family," said Lynn Sr. "Let us retire to our beds, as we have far to travel in the morning." The McClouds finished their meals and did as they were instructed. Some of the siblings shared tents, and Liinken was given one to himself. As time passed, he still lay awake on his bedroll, pondering recent events. A lifetime of hardship had led him to find difficulty in trusting others. Despite the loneliness he felt, he found safety in solitude.

But this family was....different. They had given so much to him when he had nothing to give. They risked their lives to bring him this far, and held no ill will towards him despite the destruction of their home and all their possessions. He felt such remorse for bringing such hardship upon his kind hosts. For many years during his travels, he was often regarded as a curse or a plague because of his abilities, and the hardships that would befall those close to him. He began to fear for the safety of this family, and wondered if he really was cursed after all.

He pondered if the family would be safer without him, if traveling with them would lead them to their demise. If he was smart, he would leave in the dead of night, make his way to the Census without them. He would be sparing them from more disaster, more hardship, and perhaps sparing their lives. He had no idea what would happen once he found the man who murdered his family. He could very well lose his life, and those close to him would be in danger. He had to leave them, for their own good.

But despite these thoughts, he couldn't bring himself to leave. Something was compelling him to stay, a feeling he hadn't experienced in many years....

He was broken from his thoughts as he heard the sound of footsteps. He shot up out of his bedroll, grabbing his staff and listening intently. The footsteps were growing quieter, more distant. He opened his tent to investigate, and saw that Lucielle was walking into the distance. Perhaps she was merely going to relieve herself, and he began to go back to bed when he heard the sound of crying. They were coming in the direction that Lucielle traveled. He left his tent and began following the sound, coming upon her sitting on a hill, her knees pulled to her chest and her head in her arms, sobbing.

"Lucielle?" Liinken said as he approached her. The young woman jumped, startled at her visiter's presence.

"Liinken!" She said, wiping her tears from her face.

"What ails thee?" Asked Liinken, sitting next to her.

"Tis nothing," said Lucielle, turning away. "I am sorry if I awoke ye."

"Ye did not," said Liinken. "But I know that ye are troubled, and I wish to help. Is it because of...what happened to thine home?"

"Nay," said Lucielle. "Well, partly. But there is more." She paused, sighing. Liinken placed his hand on hers, giving her an encouraging look. She took a deep breath and steadied herself before speaking again.

"I had a dream, a few nights before you came to the inn," she said. "In the dream, our home was burning, and my family were screaming, burning in the fire, but it did not consume them."

"Did ye tell thine kin about this?" Liinken asked.

"Nay," said Lucielle. "Alas, I believed it to only be a dream. Even if I did tell them, I feared my family would not believe me, as they have never believed me before. But the fear plagued me for days after that, and...." her voice cracked as she tried to steady herself. "...and our home burned to the ground. Maybe....maybe if I had told them, I could have prevented it."

Liinken felt immense guilt. This poor girl was punishing herself for what he did. He wondered how the family did not bring themselves to blame him for what happened. After all, it was he whose presence led the monster to their home, and it was his magic that destroyed the inn. But as he was ruminating, something stuck out in his mind.

"Pray, ye said that they would not have believed you because they haven't before," said Liinken. "Have ye had many dreams such as this?"

"Yes," said Lucielle.

"Have they all come true?"

"Nay," Lucielle replied. "But a few of them have."

Liinken pondered for a moment. "Ye spoke about speaking with the dead and ye have knowledge of Necromancy. How is this?"

Lucielle fell silent, but Liinken was undeterred. His eyes widened in realization. "Have ye spoken with the dead?" He asked.

Lucielle was still silent, only nodding in affirmation.

"How long have ye had this ability?" Asked Liinken.

"As long as I can remember," replied Lucielle. "My great-grandmother once appeared to me and explained that only a few women in our family possess this ability. I have never manifested any other magical abilities, and my control over this ability is tenuous at best."

"Ye are an Acolyte!" said Liinken excitedly.

"A what?"

"An Acolyte," Liinken repeated. "Magicians are born with innate magical ability, but we are not the only magic users. There are those who do not possess the gift of magic in its entirety, but are still able to use certain aspects of magic. With training and instruction, they are able to become powerful practitioners in that aspect of magic they are able to use. They cannot become Magicians as they are unable to wield magic completely, but they can become Acolytes. In many ways, Acolytes are far more skilled than many magicians as they grow and perfect their craft. It appears to me that ye be a Spirit-Walker."

Lucielle couldn't help but blush. She was unused to such attention, but she understood the implication of Liinken's words. Spirit-Walkers were among the most revered magical practitioners, as they had the ability to communicate with the dead and foresee aspects of the future. Many Spirit-Walkers became priests and priestesses of the Church of Light, with some of the most powerful practitioners becoming prophets of the gods. But she had always assumed that Spirit-Walkers were all Magicians. She had never considered that there may be Acolytes out there, and that they could be numbered among other Spirit-Walkers.

Lucielle knew that she was different from the rest of her siblings. They were all unique in their own ways, but with her, it was more so. She began to notice her abilities at a young age, when she began to see incorporeal visages appear in her home at various times. One such visage was an ancestor, their Great-Grandmother Harrietta, who watched over the family. She never told her family, as she never expected any of them to believe her. She was not particularly close with any of them. She found a kindred spirit in her Great-Grandmother, and would spend most of her time talking with her.

"I am sorry," Liinken said, breaking her from her thoughts.

"What have ye to be sorry of, Master Liinken?" Asked Lucielle.

"It is my fault thine home was destroyed," Liinken replied somberly. "It appears thine vision was a warning of my coming. I should have never trespassed on thine home. It is my fault–"

Liinken was interrupted when he was suddenly embraced by Lucielle. "Pray, do not say those things, Master Liinken," she said. "Ye saved us from a horrible fate. Those monsters may have come without thine presence, we don't know, but I believe that ye were destined to save us from such a fate."

"In what way?" Asked Liinken.

"There is more to the dream I did not tell thee," she replied, releasing him from her embrace. "My family continued to burn in agony until something happened: a white light burst from the darkness, and figure bathed in that light came forth, extinguishing the fire and saving us. I believe the dream foretold of you."

Liinken was stunned, feeling overwhelmed. For the first time since the event happened, the guilt of destroying their house had left him, if only slightly. If the gods had intended him to be there, to save this family, then maybe he wasn't cursed after all. He could feel his heart swell with joy at the thought.

"What are ye two doing up?"

Liinken and Luceille both jumped at the sound of the voice behind them. Lunara was standing in her nightskirt, rubbing her eyes tiredly. "Is anything amiss?"She asked before yawning.

Liinken looked at Lucielle, who gave him an imploring look he knew all too well. He didn't want him to tell her about her gifts, nor her dream that she had. "I was unable to sleep," Liinken said. "So I arose to keep watch over the camp. Lucielle was kind enough to accompany me."

Lunara looked between the two. "Very well," she said. "But ye should at least try to get some sleep. We have a long journey ahead of us tomorrow."

Lucielle nodded and stood, turning to Liinken. "I thank thee for our conversation, Master Mage."

Liinken bowed. "Prithy, miss, ye may address me as Liinken, if ye wish," he said.

"Very well....Liinken," said Lucielle before retiring to her tent.

Lunara watched her go to her tent before nudging Liinken slightly. "I believe she has taken a fancy to thee, eh, lad?" She said smugly. Liinken didn't say anything, lowering his head to hide his blushing face, before moving on to his tent as well.

A lone figure walked among the charred and burned field, approaching the rubble that was once the McCloud inn. It had burned to the ground, and the village folk had worked overnight to keep the fire from spreading to the neighboring farms and houses. After retrieving the bodies of those who had fallen to the monsters, the McCloud family had packed up what little possessions they still had and left in their wagon. The figure surveyed the damage, gripping his staff tightly.

"I'm too late," he said, cursing silently. "They've already taken the boy."

He looked at the charred remains of the undead skeletons beneath him. He recognized the sign of magic when he saw it. "The boy has gotten stronger," he said, stroking his beard in thought. He would have to be cautious. One wrong move could cost the boy his life, jeopardize the plan.

"Liinken, son of Farowmare," said the Man. "I will find thee."

A/N: Hello, everyone! Sorry it took so long to get this chapter out. I'm in the middle of a job transition, so it's made things rather difficult, as well as trying to finish my last course for my school term. Once things get settled down, I will be back with more chapters. Also, I have begun tentative work on the sequel to "TLH - Wild Card," and I will give you more updates on that soon. Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

547 1 6
Meet Lori, Leni, Luna, Lena, Luan, Lynn Jr, Lincoln, Lucy Lana, Lola, Lisa and Lily loud A family of 11 girls and 1 boy join them in this adventure a...
5.2K 72 38
Rita Loud and her daughters Lori,Leni,Luna,Luan,Lynn,Lucy,Lola,Lana and Lisa find their love within an 18 year old Shadow Blaze. All characters excep...
86.9K 939 13
Lincoln is tired of being pushed around and being abused by his family, and now, he is deemed bad luck, once again. He is bullied at school because o...
3.6K 81 39
This story is based on my We've Had Enough series. I recommend you read all three books to have an understanding of the characters. After getting kic...