π‹π¨π―πž 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 πƒπ’πžπ¬

By ashtara2012

𝑨𝒏𝒅 π’˜π’‰π’†π’ π’˜π’† π’Œπ’Šπ’”π’”, 𝑳𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’π’“π’π’… π’…π’Šπ’”π’‚π’‘π’‘π’†π’‚π’“. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 π’˜π’‰π’†π’ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒄�... More

DEDICATION
PART I: A Distant Dream
AESTHETICS
PROLOGUE: Broken Promises and Empty Apologies
Chapter 1: The Beginning Of A Fairytale
Chapter 2: What is Love?
Chapter 3: Hope Against Hope
Chapter 4: Dance of Passion
Chapter 5: Tale of Heartbreak
Chapter 6: A Fortress of Lies
Chapter 7: The Devastating Aftermath
Chapter 8a: La Familia
Chapter 9: He's Worth It
Chapter 10a: Colours of Love
Chapter 10b: Longing
Chapter 11: Love Destroys
Chapter 12: To Love and be Loved
Chapter 13: Language of Flowers

Chapter 8b: La Familia

1.6K 118 104
By ashtara2012

Glossary:

Dadi- Paternal Grandmother

Dadu- Paternal Grandfather

Chachu- Paternal Uncle

Chachi- Paternal Aunt in Law

Bua- Paternal Aunt

Mamu- Maternal Uncle

Mami- Maternal Aunt in law

Bhabhi: Elder brother's wife

*********

"Every family has it's cracks. Some are just better at concealing it with outwardly glamour."

The wrought iron gate opened with minimal creak, giving way to two luxurious black cars; one Lexus SUV followed by a Bentley sedan making their way onto the gravelled pathway of the mansion grounds bordered by pruned shrubs and trees.

The two cars rounded the circular driveway with a white stoned water fountain located in the center and stopped at the foot of the marble stairs leading up to the front porch of the sprawling mansion in off white, supported by spiral columns.

Dhruv Raichand stepped out of the driver's seat and went over to open the back door to the left side of the car and helped out his mother who was sitting beside his wife Vedika.

Taking her son's hand, Gauri Raichand exited the car and after giving him a pat made her way towards a tall but stoic man who was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for her. Her husband. Always so silent. But she could sense his approval in the way his lips stretched into a ghost smile while watching her re arrange her crème silk Saree.

"Have I told you that you look delightful today?"

Gauri Raichand let out a laugh and placed her hand on her husband's coat covered chest. "Umar ka lihaz karein, Raichand Sahab. You are almost seventy. Let the youngsters do the flirting."

They had been married for almost five decades yet she still felt like a newlywed whenever her usually stern and serious husband praised her.

Viren Raichand smirked. "Just complimenting you, my dear."

He placed his hand on the small of his wife's back as she shook her head and smiled, the wrinkles at the corner of her lips showing while they waited for their children to gather around.

From the black sedan exited a family of three. Ishani skipped ahead of her parents to stand alongside Sameer while the last of the Raichand, took her time to saunter towards the door with her husband on tow.

They were ushered in by the butler and directed towards the hall where Kabir waited with his three children to welcome his family. He was delighted to have everyone together, especially his sister whom he hadn't seen in a year.

Kabir hugged his siblings, Tanvi and Dhruv.

"How are you, Lilliput?"

"Bhai!" She whined but did not move back. She glanced at Dhruv who huddled close.

Three Raichand siblings together. It had been far too long.

Kabir then shook hands with his brother in law.

"Kabir."

"Siddharth."

Their clipped responses surprised everyone except Tanvi.

They weren't particularly chummy but there had always been a level of respect on both sides and mutual regard.

But now, Kabir couldn't move back fast enough and even Siddharth didn't seem to mind and looked at him with cold indifference which only aggravated Kabir more.

Gauri sensed the conflict and swooped in, taking her eldest in her arms. "There you are."

"Hello, Ma." Kabir gave her a customary kiss on both cheeks before stepping back.

"It's been far too long. You've forgotten your poor mother," She complained in like the typical Indian mother than she was.

"I just came by a few days ago."

"For five minutes," Gauri replied and pressed her lips.

"Don't start now, Gauri. He is a busy man with his own family." Viren clapped on his back.

Gauri narrowed her eyes, shifting them across the room, noticing the absence of his daughter in law for the first time. "Where is Adira?" she asked.

"She was just here-" Kabir looked around the room before spotting her. "Oh, there she is. Adira come."

Adira walked towards them.

"Have you been too busy to even greet us at the door?" Gauri sniffed.

"No Ma." She smiled pleasingly. "I was making the last minute preparations in the kitchen."

Meera was watching the entire scene unfold from the side, waiting for her turn. Her brother had already made his way towards his favourite Bua.

Alvira tugged at her hand.

"What?"

"It begins," she whispered, suppressing her giggle before prancing away to meet Vedika Chachi and Dhruv Chachu.

Meera rolled her eyes.

Her eyes flickered across the room to Ishani who was talking to Kabir.

"Why Meera, you don't look happy to see us."

She turned her head towards her grandmother, who was hugging Alvira but looking at her with squinted eyes.

Tanvi took this chance to acknowledge her the first time this evening.

"Look at her frown. Maybe we interrupted her plans for the evening."

This caught her mother's attention who frowned and gestured Meera to speak up.

"It's nothing like that Dadi." She said, plodding towards her grandmother and bent down to touch her feet

Gauri gave a satisfied nod.

It was her grandfather who came to her rescue.

"Oh, you both. Stop pulling her leg," Viren chuckled good naturedly

Meera eagerly rushed towards him.

"Don't mind them," he whispered.

Meera nodded

She bent down to take his blessings but as usual he didn't let her. Instead he pulled her in his arms and kissed her head.

"I was wondering when Meeru would come to greet her old Grandpa. You used to be the first one to come greet me at the door."

Meera chuckled. She loved her Dadu. "You're far from old."

"Yes, yes," Viren scoffed playfully. "I am as young as those actors you girls admire so much. What are their names? Karan? Varun? Such strange names." He shook his head.

Meera laughed, guiding him towards the couch. "I'll tell you all about them."

Viren let his granddaughter guide him towards the couch.

He loved talking to her and see the childish excitement in her eyes. Just like her mother.

He probably shouldn't have favourites and if anybody asked him he won't admit to it but he always had a soft spot for Meera since the day she came into their lives.

Snacks and drinks were served in the living room. Everyone was gathered around. Gauri Raichand was showering her favourite grand-daughter with gifts that she brought. She had already given Meera hers so nobody could complain about partiality.

Beside her, Sameer sat gobbling down the snacks.

Ayaansh was still conversing with his Bua about God knew what. From the concerned looks Adira was casting them, she wasn't glad about that.

Adira had spent very little time with her sister in law. The ice between them had only thickened over the years and everybody was aware of it. And after her last comment, Meera too had steered clear.

The men were in their own group, holding a glass of wine in hand, talking about business. Although from the looks of it, Kabir was only ever speaking to his brother. Siddharth and Kabir weren't seeing eye to eye tonight.

Vedika had taken this time to corner Adira, very eager to share details about her latest vacation.

"We have been together since college and he still forgets the date. Can you believe it?" Vedika huffed.

Adira laughed, placing the plates on the table and arranging the silverware.

"It happens."

From the other side on the sofa, Gauri, having heard the conversation between her daughter in laws, remarked, "Now, Vedika. You are excited enough for the both of you."

"Someone has to be, mummy. If I wait for your son then all my birthdays and anniversaries will come and go."

Gauri laughed at the comment.

Adira couldn't help but gawk. If it had been her making the statement, the reaction from her mother in law would've been drastically different.

"I tried feeding him almonds as a child but he was the most stubborn," Gauri tsked. "My Kabir was very obedient."

"Done complaining about me?" Dhruv sauntered in from the other side of the room after hearing his name. "I sometimes envy you, Bhai. You don't have to deal with this everyday."

Kabir chuckled, offering his sympathies while their mother snorted, and moved towards his wife.

Vedika wiggled her finger at him. "You'll have to deal with much more if you forget our anniversary one more time. There will be hell to pay."

"I think I already paid like hell," Dhruv snorted. "The trip I planned to Venice wasn't enough, she had to buy out every boutique in the city."

"Good for you," Gauri joked.

Dhruv gaped.

"Ma!"

"What?" She shrugged innocently. "The dresses she brought me were exquisite."

Adira's heart lurched with something akin to regret.

Watching the stern matriarch of the the family joking with her children and her daughter in law was not rare. Once Adira was too, privy to this side of hers. Not anymore.

"You know you'd do the same if Kabir Bhai ever forgot your anniversary," Vedika said.

Adira scoffed, "If I start shopping every time he forgets our important dates, I'll have had bought the entire state of Maharashtra by now."

Gauri snipped, "He has many things going on in his head to remember every trivial thing."

Adira held back a retort about how she too had a very busy job. But her husband was there to soothe the sting.

"I have a sensible wife." Kabir smiled but firmly and rubbed her back.

Gauri pursed her lips.

Even Vedika looked taken aback. But she recovered soon enough with an awkward laugh and rambled on excitedly.

"But seriously, the trip was awesome. It's like our third time to Venice but the city never seizes to amaze me. We stayed at Radisson, of course. But Dhruv had to book only the most expensive room there was."

Kabir raised an eyebrow at his brother who scratched his neck sheepishly.

Adira smiled and nodded along. Vedika had a habit of showing off. The family found it more amusing than harmful since she was often unaware of the fact.

"Oh, Di it was gorgeous," Vedika gushed. "Makes this room pale in comparison. And with it just being the two of us-- again thank you Mummy for taking of Sameer-- it was quite romantic." She tugged Adira's arm. "You should definitely go there sometime."

Adira nodded in agreement. "We'll see."

Dhruv agreed. "You definitely should."

"We'll take care of the kids," Vedika said. "Husband and wife need their time too, you know?"

"Your Bhai hardly has any time these days. We haven't been on a vacation for ages." Adira rolled her eyes playfully.

Kabir raised his eyebrow, looking offended. "Hey! I take you to plenty of places."

"Yeah, for business trips."

Kabir got a challenging glint in his eyes that Adira found too sexy. "Fine. Pick a place. We'll go this summer."

"Yay!" Both sister in laws clapped their hands excitedly.

"My Kabir is very hardworking. Just like his father," Gauri praised. "You should be proud of your husband for managing such a huge company."

Adira was taken aback at the harshness.

"I am," she replied defensively.

"Raichand Industries was going through such a hard time when Kabir took over. But look at it now. The biggest company in not only India but in the whole of Asia. Third most profitable in the world. It wouldn't have been possible without him," Gauri concluded, proudly.

Nobody saw the stony look in Dhruv's eyes or the way he clenched his hands, except for his wife who slid her palm in his and gave it a squeeze.

His jolly mood was ruined.

"Agreed," Viren said. "But Kabir, you'll always have work to do but it is very important to balance your professional and personal life. You should've learnt it by now. Do not neglect your family."

Kabir looked apologetically. "I don't Dad."

"Meera told me you missed her dance," Viren reprimanded.

Kabir glanced across the room and saw his daughter with her cousins. She looked away when she saw him.

He had something to make for to both his girls.

"Don't give him a hard time, Viren," his mother said. "He is just like you. When we were young, you used to spend every day in his office, working rigorously to make ends meet but I never said a word about it."

"Because, my dear, I never gave you an opportunity too. I always made time for you regardless."

His father gave him a pointed look and Kabir sighed. "Understood, Dad."

"Good."

He leaned closer to his wife and whispered, "I am sorry."

"It's fine," his wife replied. She always understood him. "But I'm still angry at you for today though."

That's fine. Kabir smirked. He'll get her to forgive him tonight.

*************

Meera had finished helping her mother in the kitchen and had just sat down when two people cornered her on both sides. She narrowed her eyes at both their grinning faces already having an inkling.

Ishani grabbed her hand, "Spill."

Meera narrowed her eyes accusingly towards Sameer. "You can't keep anything to you, can you?"

"And I didn't even have to threaten him," Ishani replied smugly.

At least Sameer looked sheepish.

"Unique nail polish," Meera commented staring at Ishani's nails painted in blue gradient with sparkles.

"Isn't it? Alvira said the same." Ishani gushed immediately forgetting the topic at hand.

Meera bit back a smile. Get Ishani to talk about nail art and she'll forget everything else.

"I hope you wouldn't give Alvira another bottle," she said. "Her dressing table is overflowing with nail paints."

Ishani laughed. "She's as obsessed with them as me."

"Is it Mac?"

"Nah, it's Colorbar."

"What's the name?"

Sameer groaned from beside her, looking bored out of his mind. "Why do I get stuck between girls? I am going to see where Ayaansh Bhai is."

"He's with Bua," Meera replied.

"Anything is better than this."

He got up and left them behind.

Meera tittered. That'll teach him to keep his mouth shut the next time.

By that time, Ishani had caught on on what Meera had done.

She glared at her.

"You distracted me," Ishani pouted, pointing at her.

Meera grinned. "I know your weakness."

Ishani opened her mouth to retort but Vedika's arrival interrupted her.

Her chachi  came occupied Sameer's seat. She rubbed her hands together and looked at them with unbridled excitement. "What are we talking about?"

"Nothing." Meera quipped.

"Is it boys?" Vedika asked, mischievously, looking between them. "Sameer was telling me there is a French boy in your class."

"Logan," Ishani quipped and Meera cursed both her cousins for their blabber mouth.

"He has a name?" Vedika teased. "Are you two friends?"

"No."

"Yes."

Meera sent a withering glare towards Ishani.

"Oh, come on," Vedika whined like a little girl. "You can tell me. I'm the cool aunt."

Meera agreed.

But things with were a bit murky with Logan right now. She didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea. And the matter was now related to Dev too. If her Chachi probed more, she'd eventually find out about him. No one could find out about her and Dev. He was her most protected secret.

She was thinking of what to say to Vedika when her Chachu came to her rescue.

"Don't tell her anything," he warned, sliding in behind his wife. "She can't keep secrets for life."

"Hey!" Vedika gave him an offended look. I'm an excellent secret keeper."

Dhruv gave her a 'are you serious' looks.

"Now I know where Sameer gets it from," Ishani giggled.

Vedika huffed and glared at her husband. "Why are you here? It's girls only. Go. Shoo!" She waved her hand dismissively.

"What girl? You are forty."

Vedika gasped, indignantly. "How dare you!" She squinted her eyes "You are the oldie here. I ain't a day over thirty."

"Still old," he teased.

Vedika looked at the two girls who nodded in support.

"You don't look a day over twenty five Mami," Ishani said, chuckling and high fived with Vedika.

"Now, where were we?" Vedika asked them, ignoring her husband.

"We are going to have dinner,' Dhruv called out again. "Bhabhi has set the table. Come on."

"You Mamu/ Chachu has the worst timing ever," Vedika tsked, whispering loudly before getting up.

"I heard that."

"You were supposed to." She humphed and strolled past her husband saying, "Let's see how your young back fares on the couch tonight."

"That comment's gonna cost me," Dhruv muttered, shaking his head.

Meera giggled. She loved her Chachu- Chachi. Always bickering over silly things.

"Thanks."

Dhruv ruffled her head, smiling, "Anytime pumpkin," then followed after his wife.

Ishani took this opportunity to pull her aside and lifted her finger. "You miss 'I change the subject when I get uncomfortable.' We'll talk later."

Meera sighed.

It's going to be a long night.

****************

Everyone was at the dinner table. Kabir Raichand and Viren Raichand sat at the two heads, followed by their wives on their right. Meera was sitting between Alvira and Ishani, directly in front of her paternal aunt while Sameer chose to sit next to Ayaansh.

Her mother had already placed the dishes on the large thirteen seater table and served the first course. The only sound that was heard were the hushed whispers and the clinking of silverware. Until Gauri Raichand decided to break her silence.

She eyed the food critically before taking a bite of her naan and curry and grimaced. "Did you make the food, Adira?"

"Uh no, Ma. Our chef made it. Why, is there a problem?" Adira asked, concerned.

"You know I don't take much salt with my food."

Adira furrowed her brows, "Oh, I did mention it to him. He must've made a mistake."

From the other side, Tanvi snorted before passing a bowl to her mother. "Here mom. You can have this dal. It's quite bland."

Gauri did not look satisfied. "If I had to eat dinner made by some outsider, we could've just gone to a hotel."

"It's my fault, Ma," Kabir jumped in. "I informed her about this dinner at the last moment."

"Still." Gauri sniffed. She had more to say but her husband didn't let her.

"Gauri, did Meera tell you she came first in the dance competition?" Viren interrupted.

Meera looked up as a deer caught in the headlight. She discreetly shook her head at her Dadu but he nudged his chin at her to speak up.

"No. She hardly sat with me for two minutes," her Dadi glanced at her with skewed eyes.

Meera shifted on her seat, uncomfortably.

"Dancing," Gauri scoffed. "Look at your brother. He topped his class and got into the most prestigious Engineering college in India. And I'm sure my beautiful Alvira will follow the suit and glorify our name. And what are you doing? Dancing. At least do something worthwhile."

"First let her make herself worthy of our name, mom. Then we'll talk about glorification."

Meera stiffened at Tanvi's callous jab, who was casually swirling her wine, her snake like eyes glimmering with sadistic amusement. Even Alvira looked up curiously. 

No one spoke up. 

Not even her parents. 

Her brother appeared conflicted. Ishani looked embarrassed at her mother's remark and glanced at her apologetically.

"Adira." Those calculative, slithering snake like eyes turned to her mother. Ayaansh jerked up. His eyes turned cold as he subtly shifted away from his beloved Bua. "You must be proud. Your daughter is heading the same way. It all starts with dancing, doesn't it?"

Meera saw her mother's hands ball up and her lips thinned. That's when her father finally broke his silence. "Tanvi." His voice had turned deeper, darker. His dark eyes held a warning. To not cross him. "Keep your opinions to yourself." 

Nobody talked ill of his wife.

Tanvi Agnighotri was many things, but not stupid. She heard it loud and clear. She was satisfied to get a reaction. But she was also a Raichand. She couldn't not have the last word.

"I was just saying," She shrugged, ignoring her husband's hand on her thighs, squeezing it tight.

He was seething. She liked it. "You've embarrassed yourself enough." 

Oh, but she had embarrassed him more. Two birds with one stone.

Adira all but abandoned her food, throwing her utensils down, as gracefully as she could in this situation and stood up, "Excuse me."

Viren shook his head, his eyes already finding his wife's who at least didn't look as smug as his daughter. If anything, Gauri looked almost remorseful.

**************

Kabir followed after his wife who was facing away from him, her hands gripping the kitchen counter tightly.

She looked downhearted, her plump red lips turning down and he couldn't bear to look at those beautiful, glittering Hazel eyes looking so glum. He slipped his hand around her waist and turned her towards him. His thumb caressed her forehead, trying to relax those creases marring her flawless skin.

Since the evening his mother had been after her. He had seen it but for the sake of the evening, had kept mum. But his sister had crossed the line. And he could see how her biting words had affected Adira.

"Don't think about it," he entreated her.

He hated seeing her sad. And he hated how everyone, especially his mother and sister couldn't leave the past behind. If it were up to him, he'd remove that incident and the years of unhappiness that had followed them like a grim from their memories, once and for all, so he'd never have to see that guilt and self-loathing in her eyes ever again. It killed him every time.

"But she is right," Adira glanced up with her sorrowful hazel eyes. "It started with a dance."

Kabir winced. He did not need a reminder.

"They'll never forget."

He wanted to refute her but they both knew the truth, however vague it was.

After what had happened in the past, his mother had held a long standing grudge towards Adira. Everyone had thought that along the years when she'd see how happy Adira made him and that they were in love, she'd let go of her anger. But his mother had never been able to come out of that incident. It had hurt her the most as she had seen it as an act of betrayal to her in person since she had been the one who had introduced Adira to Kabir and had wanted to get them married.

His sister, on the other hand, just liked to stir up trouble. He'd deal with her later.

For now, he just wordlessly drew his wife closer to him to console her, to reassure her that everything would be alright.

************

The evening was ruined.

Was anybody surprised? Meera wasn't.

She had lost her appetite after that debacle and had steered clear of her aunt and grandmother. Her mother had emerged out of the kitchen after a few minutes and had resumed her role as a hostess while her father had whisked away his sister to have a serious chat with her. Meera admired her mother's courage deeply. After years of suffering through the same thing, how her mother could still be in the same room as them and still be respectful was beyond her.

She had the urge to hug her and she did.

"You okay?"

"Yes," her mother smiled her sweet smile. "And you?"

"Yes."

Meera never went back to the living room. Instead she took a seat on the bar stool enjoying watching her mother prepare the dessert for others. Ayaansh had already retreated back to his room, taking Sameer with him, not wanting his younger brother to get stuck between feuding adults. That left Ishani, who came inside the kitchen soon enough.

"You're my favourite Mami, You know," said Ishani while watching Adira with wide eyes.

Adira laughed, "I do. But you're not getting another scoop of ice cream." Ishani pouted. She was sensitive to cold and got cough if she had too much ice cream. "The brownies are kept in in that container, you can have that."

Ishani's eyes lit up. "You really are the best," she squealed before opening the container.

Adira left them be and returned back to the family room.

"I'm sorry about my mum. Sometimes she's just too much." Ishani looked guilty and Meera felt bad. She knew what it was like for your mother's actions to get reflected upon you. She placed a hand on top of Isha's and squeezed it.

"Thankfully your father stepped in."

"Only he can control her. But barely."

Meera had never really spent much time with Uncle Siddharth, just the bare minimum. Mainly because she never got along with her Bua. But she liked him. He was a silent observer and very straightforward, completely opposite to his wife who only knew how to twist her words. Ishani was his carbon copy and Meera was grateful for that.

When it was time for everyone to leave, Ishani begged her father to let her stay and he obliged.

Meera was happy to spend time with her cousin. Hearing that, even Sameer asked to stay and was allowed too.

Meera did not linger around to see off everyone. She just hugged her Chachu and Chachi and then went to her grandfather. She could never show her anger at him.

When he saw her coming, he extricated himself from his wife and met her alone. "I was wondering when my Meeru would come to see off her old grandpa."

Meera laughed, hugging her dear old grandpa. He pulled away and held her at arms length "You are just like your mother, you know?" Meera nodded.

Everyone told her that. They shared the same high cheekbones, fair skin and delicate features—except for her hair which was a shade darker and her eyes that were black instead of her mother's dazzling hazels.

"Not only her looks but I see her goodness in you. Don't let them snuff that out." He held her hand and said wistfully. "She had a difficult journey. Yours too is a tough one. A different one. But it a journey worth having. And you are brave enough to survive it."

With one last squeeze, her grandfather left her alone to mull over his words.

-------------------------------------------------------

I know it's late. Blame Wattpad for that🥲

Happy New Year my lovelies!! I hope this year brings you lots of joy and happiness❤️🎊🎉

I wouldn't say the previous year had been very kind on me but it had some silver linings. I published this book and got few but loyalty readers to whom I'll forever be grateful🥹

This year all I wish for is that my book gets the love and recognition it deserves. I know it's not the perfect or the best book out there. But it is the product of my hardwork and there's nothing I want more that for this book to succeed and reach heights🤞

Please vote and comment. It's just one click on the star. Please🙏

Next Update- 9/1/2023

Raichand Mansion ☝️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 21.9K 43
When Aarohi Singh loses everything in her life, metaphorically and literally, she finds herself turning to nowhere but her bestfriends house for shel...
26K 1.5K 19
𝔸 Κ³α΅’α΅α΅ƒβΏαΆœα΅‰, ʷʰᡉʳᡉ α΅ˆα΅‰Λ’β±Κ³α΅‰ ʷᡉᡃʳ˒ ᡗʰᡉ αΆœΛ‘α΅’α΅ƒα΅ α΅’αΆ  ᡐʸ˒ᡗᡉʳʸ, α΅ƒβΏα΅ˆ ᡖᡃ˒˒ⁱᡒⁿ ᡗʰʳⁱᡛᡉ˒ ⁱⁿ ᡗʰᡉ ᡃʳᡗ α΅’αΆ  Λ’α΅‰αΆœΚ³α΅‰α΅—Λ’. π•π•šπ•“π•™π•’π•§ ℝ𝕒π•₯𝕙𝕠𝕣𝕖 the formidable entreprene...
25.7K 1K 41
π€πšπ₯𝐒𝐲𝐚 I'd sworn off of love and men after the fiasco that was my last relationship. Until I spent one steamy and passionate night with a dark...
36.1K 3.2K 30
"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were." β™‘ "I saw this girl at the age of 13...