The Adopted Cullen

By GLH_Herondale

Dr. Cullen gets a phone call one day. There is a baby girl who is put up for adoption, but she's premature. T... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Help Me!!!!
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Important
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Advice
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
TWILIGHT
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
NEW MOON
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
ECLIPSE
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Update
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
BREAKING DAWN
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 74
Chapter 75

Chapter 73

1.1K 33 7
By GLH_Herondale

The next morning, I wake up to Seth gently poking my cheek. Peering my eyes open, Seth grins brightly.

"Hey, beautiful. I'm fixing to go downstairs to get some breakfast. Want to come join me? Everyone is waiting for you. I think they pulled out some games or something for us to do today."

I give Seth a small nod, fire scorching my throat so much, that I am too afraid to speak. I'm feeling worse and worse as the hours go by. I've lost at least twenty pounds in the past day. A while ago, I would have loved this. Eat whatever you want, and lose twenty in a day. Not now. No one is telling me what's happening, but I know.

I'm not drinking blood like I'm supposed to. Not only that, but I'm always tired and cold. I'm dizzy at the slightest movements, and am so weak I can't stand. I'm losing my own blood, because I'm not drinking any.

It's scary, but I'm not going to drink blood, animal or not. Maybe Dad can give me a transfusion in I need it. If not, then I'm going to keep holding on. At this rate, I'm not sure how much longer I'll have to last. It's bad to think this way, and I'm going to really miss everyone. My family, Seth, the pack and Emily. But I'm not going to go against something I think is wrong just to keep myself alive. I would live in regret.

Seth lifts me into his arms and carries me out of the room as Willow trails behind us. Seth heads towards the kitchen, but I really just want to lay on the couch and sleep. It's not like I can tell him anyways.

Edward suddenly flashes into the room and stops us, giving me a smile that I try to return, but I know I just grimaced.

"Come on, I'll take you to the living room. Then you can tell me how you're feeling, ok?" I nod thankfully as Edward takes me from Seth and places me beside him and the rest of my siblings on the couch.

I feel Jasper throw a blanket around me and I hold it close as I shiver slightly.

"What hurts?" Edward asks softly as he holds my hand. I turn to face him. Honestly? Everything. I think with a small chuckle, but no emotion showing on my face.

Edward smiles and nods for me to continue. My throat is...

"On fire? Yeah, we understand," Edward says with a small, sympathetic smile.

"Edward, this is worse for her," Jasper says, bringing everyone's attention to him. "Our thirst is pain for our vampire selves. This thirst hurts Grace's vampire and human part."

Jasper turns to me and gives me the best smile he can. "I'm going to try to soothe the pain, ok? Tell Edward if it helps."

I nod and Jasper holds my hand as he concentrates. I hopefully stare back at him, and after a little bit, I feel the pain in my throat lessen.

It's working. Not enough to have Jazz lose his energy for, but it helped.

"What are we doing?" Seth asks as he sits down in front of me, pressing his back against my legs to keep me warm, as he shoves food into his mouth.

"Trying to see if Jasper can lessen Grace's thirst. She says it's not enough to worry about, Jazz."

I give Jasper a small smile and he kisses my cheek in return. I turn to Edward and think, I'm not really hungry for blood, am I? I don't want it, so how come you said it's thirst?

"It's not, Grace. That's just what happens when we're thirsty. We have immense pain in our throats. Like white, hot, branding irons being shoved down our throats. That's what you feel, right?"

I nod quickly before grabbing my head and closing my eyes as the world starts spinning. I hate vertigo.

Seth rubs my leg soothingly and I take a deep breath before slowly opening my eyes. I see everyone watching me worriedly and I close my eyes again. Stop looking at me like that.

Edward repeats my message before hugging me closer to his side and kissing the top of my head. "Would you like to try and eat something while we finish the movie you and Seth started?"

I nod as Seth taps my foot, and I bring my attention towards him. He pouts up at me. "Cowboy isn't stealing my seat is he?"

I pout back at him before turning to Jasper who grins at me. "No, I won't steal your seat Seth. Me and Alice are going hunting anyways." He turns to me and kisses my head, "We'll be back darlin'. Try to eat something, ok?"

I nod, then Alice and Jasper rush out of the room. Emmett and Rose soon follow with another order for me to eat some food and drink some water.

Seth hops up beside me and I shiver again as I curl into his side, still holding Edward's hand. Seth hugs me close and plays with my hair soothingly.

"Emily was going to come by and bring us food. Do you want me to call her and tell her to come another day?"

I close my eyes tightly as I try to think everything through. I won't be able to talk, and I probably won't be able to eat, so her coming here would be useless. But, then again, this may be the last time I see her, or I eat her food. I don't want to make her upset, but I'm too selfish not to want to see her again.

Knowing my answer, I shake my head and swallow back as much fire as I can, talking as loudly as I can, "I...want her..." I break off with a gasp as I feel my throat, and stomach, protest.

I dry heave over the side of the couch, but with nothing in my system, all I end up doing is coughing.

Edward quickly pulls my hair back as Seth holds me tightly, making sure I don't fall over. I take a deep breath through my nose before slowly sitting up. My eyes widen quickly when Emily and Leah stare at me with wide eyes.

My lips quiver slightly, not wanting them to see me look like this, and I assume Seth and Edward understand immediately. Seth quickly kisses my head before jumping up.

"Hey, Em, Leah. I thought you'd be later," he says as he gently steers both of them away into the kitchen. Edward gently lifts me up and kisses my forehead.

"Esme is on her way. She's going to help you get ready for today, maybe it'll make you feel better. Ok?"

I nod and Edward gives me an encouraging smile as Mom speeds into the room. She gives me the sweet, soft, motherly smile she always does.

"Let's get you ready for the day, my bright, beautiful flower." I nod and she quickly takes me upstairs.

Seth's POV

Grace's eyes widen, like mine, when we see Emily and Leah standing in the doorway. What are they doing here so early?

Grace's lips quiver, showing she's about to cry and I quickly get up. "Hey, Em, Leah, I thought you'd be later," I say as I rush them into the kitchen as Esme speeds out.

I let out a small breath as I hear Grace get into the shower before turning to the girls in front of me. Leah has a hard, unreadable expression on her face while Emily's eyes are shining with unshed tears.

"We were only gone a few hours," her voice cracks as she holds back her tears. I let out a sigh and sit down in the closet chair.

"She got worse over night," I whisper quietly. I can't break down. Grace will notice, and she can't know how much this is killing me. How much she I killing me.

I clear my throat quickly before looking up and forcing a positive look on my face. "I thought you were coming closer to lunch?"

Emily swipes at her eyes before nodding. "I know I did, but I need to come here to cook lunch. I'm not quite sure..." She pauses and looks around, making sure Grace isn't near before deciding on saying, "How long I need to cook the steaks. I thought Esme would like to help since she's got a better knowledge about these things."

I nod and Leah says, "And I thought I could just come over and see my favorite red head. I thought we could just relax and talk, maybe I can change her mind."

I shake my head, just as Edward comes in. "She can't talk. The venom is destroying her throat because she refuses to drink blood."

Leah's frown hardens before she storms out of the house. I sigh loudly and Emily forces a smile onto her face. "Well, then I guess I better get to cooking."

Grace's POV

Mama helps me get dressed, and quickly dries and fixes my hair. I give her a tiny smile through the mirror before quickly looking down as tears fill my eyes. I hear my Mom sigh quietly before hugging me from behind. I look up at her, and she smiles back at my reflection.

"You, are my brave, strong, loving baby girl. Don't worry. We're going to get through this. Keep your smile. Don't let it leave you, my beautiful daughter."

I nod as a tear slips down my face. She quickly wipes it and kisses my cheek before lifting me up and carrying me down the stairs. We reach the stairs, and I see Edward, Seth, and Emily whispering quietly. It's no use trying to hear with my vampire hearing. I'm too weak to even try.

Their heads quickly turn our way as Mom clears her throat, and Seth bounces over with a wide smile, one that makes my eyes lighten, even just a little bit.

"There you are! I was wondering when you'd be back! We have to finish Harry Potter!"

Seth picks me up, and I kola hug him, loving his warmth as it stills my shivers. I feel him gently press down my hair before giving my head a kiss.

I let out a small, content sigh as I hug him even tighter. We sit down on the couch together, me still in his lap, my head tucked into his neck, as he turns on the TV and starts back Harry Potter.

A small, baby bark rings through the air and I quickly sit up, my vision spinning.

"Shh, shh. Easy," Seth mumbles as he gently holds the back of my head. My wild eyes sweep across the room as I try to find my puppy.

"Willow! In here!" Edward calls as he sits beside us. As soon as the words leave Edward's mouth, I hear her bark again and paws thud against the ground.

She starts barking like crazy and next thing I know, she's jumping, trying to land beside me on the couch. Edward swiftly catches her so she doesn't fall. Seth sits me sideways on his lap so I can hold Willow, and Edward places her on my lap.

Willow happily barks and starts licking my face. Despite the pain of her weight, I let a real, though painful, smile fill my face as I hug her close to me. She lays her head on my shoulder and licks my neck.

"We thought you might like to see your puppy," Rose says with a small smile as the rest of my siblings come into the room. I give them a smile and a small, slow nod. They all fill in around us and start watching Harry Potter, Emmet letting out a few funny comments here and there.

I sniffle as I hold back my tears, hugging Willow closer to me as I tuck my face back into Seth's neck. Seth lets out a small, shuddering breath as hugs me closer and kisses my head. He's trying so hard to be happy for me.

I take a deep, weakened breath before whispering, "I... love you..." Seth hugs me tighter, quietly shushing me.

"I know, Gracie. I love you too. No matter what."

Leah strolls into the room a few minutes later with a milkshake and tub of ice cream in her hand. "Eat this," she says as she thrusts the cup my way. I scrunch my nose up slightly, but the glare she gives me tells me I need to drink the milkshake or she'll kill me herself.

Seth holds the cup and I take a small sip before swallowing. Not ten seconds later I gag, emptying my stomach into the pail Edward quickly holds out for me.

Leah sighs sadly, "It was worth a try. I'm going to put this in the freezer for when you feel better." She takes the ice cream to the kitchen and Seth starts drinking my shake when I shove it towards him and Alice and Rose take me upstairs to clean up.

After I come back down and our movie finishes. the next is put on, and Dad comes in around 1 o'clock.

"Hello, kitten," he says as he comes over and kisses my head. "Any better? Or worse?"

I glance over at Edward and he flashes me a smile before translating, "Not better, slowly worse." Dad nods before sending me a comforting smile. "Well, Emily is finished with lunch for you, Seth, and Leah. I bet it will make you feel better in no time. Shall we go into the kitchen?"

I nod and Edward gently places a sleeping Willow on the couch as Seth carries me into the kitchen. The wonderful smell of steak fills the air, and my stomach rumbles loudly.

Seth chuckles before sitting down, refusing to let me sit by myself. I quickly scan the table before turning to Edward.

Where is Leah? She never said goodbye.

"Leah went out for a moment. She'll be back soon, Princess." I nod before turning to Emily who has a wide, forced smile on her face.

"I made steak! You don't have to eat it if you don't like it, just try one tiny bite, ok?"

I nod as Seth cuts up a small piece before handing me the fork.

Edward's POV

We all hold our breath as Grace's arm shakes as she lifts the fork up to her mouth. As soon as she bites down, a collective intake of air sounds around me.

This could be the answer we're searching for. This could be what saves Gracelyn.

Grace slowly chews the under cooked meat, and her lips tilt downwards. I quickly dive into her thoughts.

This is the worst food Emily has ever cooked! It's so disgusting! And way too salty, with some metally seasoning. Gross! Wait... My throat isn't hurting as much. Dad was right! Emily's comfort food worked! But it's so gross. I'm gonna throw up if I eat any more. I can't tell her that though. Maybe... Edward! Can you tell Emily it was so good, but I'm just too full?

Everyone watches my expression change from hopeful, to discouraged, to joyful, then back to distraught. Everyone's thoughts get thrown at me all at once, but I discreetly shake my head as I send what I hope to be a smile towards Grace as I say, "Grace said she loved it, but she is not feeling well at the moment and is extremely full. Perhaps you could go rest on the couch while Seth finishes up your food? Willow is wanting to cuddle."

She nods her head, her eyes lighting up slightly at the mention of her dog. Seth quickly takes her to the living room and plays Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire before making sure she's ok and sprinting back to the rest of us.

"Well?" He hisses quietly, everyone looking at me hopefully, yet curiously.

I sit down in Grace's discarded chair as I hold my head in my hands, venom tears stinging my eyes as I hide them from my family and friends.

"It helped. Not much, but enough that she felt a difference."

The room suddenly lifts, happiness filling the air before it drops as I let out a small, choked intake of breath.

"But she couldn't stand the taste. She said even if it helped, it tasted so bad she can't eat it."

I look up, venom in my eyes. "What do we do?" Everyone has the exact same expression as I do, all except Seth. His face is determined despite the tears.

"She eats it. It doesn't matter if she hates the taste. It helped. We tell her it's her taste buds, that since she's sick, she'll have to just eat whatever until she gets better. Then when she is better, she can eat whatever until she needs more blood."

I see the light bulb go off in everyone's head. Voices excitedly fill the air as plans begin to be made.

Grace's POV

I can't believe Emily actually made a bad meal. She's the best cook in the world! But that was the worst thing I've ever tasted. Like rotten tomatoes and dirty socks. But Emily's comfort food helps my throat.

I let out a small sigh, trying to get someone's attention so I can get a glass of water, but no one hears. I do, although, hear everyone talking loudly in the kitchen.

I take a deep breath before shoving myself off the couch, Willow worriedly pressing into my back to steady me. My lips twitch slightly as Willow helps me slowly, but surely, walk to the edge of the kitchen doorway.

It doesn't take long for me to listen in and understand what I just ate, and know exactly why my steak tasted raw.

Tears burn my vision and I gasp, "You...tricked... me."

Every head quickly turns my way to see me barely holding myself up with the door frame, and Willow pressing herself up against my feet to help hold me up.

"Gracelyn! Sit down!"

I let out a small cry as Seth runs at me and quickly grabs me, setting me down on the couch again. Seth tricked me. Daddy and Mama tricked me. Emily tricked me. They all did.

"Leave... me..alone," I croak as I hold my throat, thinking about what I just ate. I didn't even pay attention to the blood. The blood dripping from my plate. Blood. Blood. Blood.

"Grace, listen," Seth pleads sadly but I shake my head as tears slowly fall. He gently grabs my face and forces me to look at him as I sob. "I know you're upset. I'm sorry we didn't tell you, but listen. It's not human blood. This is the same thing you can get in a restaurant. It's animal. You love steak. It helped you. Grace, forget about the taste. It helped."

I shake my head again as all I can think about is the blood going down my throat. What if I drink blood all the time? I'll like it. I'll be a monster. What if I like it so much, that I hurt a human? That I hurt Seth or my puppy? Blood. Blood is bad. This is worse than I thought. My chest tightens as I cry harder, sobs leaving me as my throat burns more. Panic and hurt, blinding me as I continue to cry, my air waves closing tighter

and

tighter

and

tighter......

"Gracelyn Lee! Look at me now!" Seth shouts loudly, making my unsteady breathing slowly slightly and my wild gaze lock on to his. He still holds my face, but he starts trying to wipe the tears cascading down my face as I sob.

"It's just steak. It's the same thing everyone else eats. Grace, it helped you. You've got to eat it baby," he says, his voice cracking at the end as his eyes full to the brim with tears. "I can't lose you. I love you. Please, just eat it. Please, baby. It helped," he says before his tears spill over and he places his forehead on mine as he cries.

I don't wanna leave Seth. I want to make him happy. But I don't want to ever hurt him or anyone else. I sob again and Seth joins in before falling to his knees, grief stricken, his hands dropping from my face as he wraps his arms around my stomach and sobs into my chest. "Please, baby. Please," he cries and I sob again as I wrap my arms around him and cry into his hair.

Emily's POV

After two hours of Seth and Grace's sobs, both fall asleep in the exact same position. Seth, on his knees in front of the couch as he holds on to Grace for dear life, face buried into her chest as his red, puffy face has tears flowing down his face even in his sleep. Grace, bent over Seth hugging his shoulders tightly as her face lays on his head.

Willow is curled up on the floor beside Seth, worriedly watching the pair as they cling to each other. The Cullen's left the room, dry sobbing as they hear the pair cry.

I quickly wipe my tears as make sure the two are still asleep before hurrying out to my car. My foot steps on the accelerator and I speed to La Push.

I swerve into the front yard before jumping out of the car and running up to the house. I slam open the front door, and everyone turns my way, eyes widening as they take in my state.

Rumpled clothes, shaking hands, red, puffy, face and tears streaming down my face.

"Emily! Baby, what happened?" Sam yells as he runs up to me, but I shove him as hard away from me as I let out a sob.

"Sit down right now Sam!" I scream as I point back to the couch he was just at. Sam's eyes widens even further before he slowly sits back down. The boys all start to stand up, but I scream, "No! All of you stay right here and listen to me for ten minutes!" As soon as they all sit down I stop sobbing and I just cry as I face them.

"I just went to visit the sickest girl I have ever seen. I saw her just yesterday, she had the biggest smile on her face, despite being hated on by her own family!"

Sam and the guy's faces harden. "Emily... Why in the world did you go over there! We have no idea what she's capable of..."

"Shut up, Sam!" I scream again, tears clouding my vision as I step closer to the group in front of me. "You have no idea what's going on! I went to her house yesterday and brought her muffins. She loved them! She ate the entire basket and left only one for Seth and Leah!"

"But how is that..."

"She's not even a true vampire!" I shout. "None of you listen! Carlisle tried to tell you! She can eat, sleep, cry, everything! She has a gift. She's the only vampire in the world to have the gift of humanity. She was such an amazing person, that not even death could take that from her!"

I quickly swipe at my tears, barely having time to register the horror written over everyone's faces before I start at it again.

"And now she's dying! She's not going to live another day because she refuses to drink blood! Her vampire self is killing her because she refuses to have even an ounce of blood in her system. Because every single one of you have told her for her entire life how much you hate vampires and how drinking blood is monstrous!"

My face hardens, my anger for my fiancee and his pack sky rocketing the more I speak.

"She would rather die, rather let the blood from her own body be drained from inside of her, than to go against you. Even after you tried to kill your own daughter, Sam. Your own sister and pack mate. Seth's imprint. Seth is over there right now, on his knees asleep after begging her for two hours straight just to eat the raw steak I fixed. Because even though the barest amount made her sick to her stomach, she already felt better. I just watched Seth and Grace cry uncontrollably for two hours straight because if she doesn't get better, she won't be here tomorrow. And it's all your fault."

The guy's eyes are red, and some are staring guiltily at the ground. I set my gaze to Sam, who's face is impassive until I say these next words. That's when he sheds a tear. The first tear I have seen from him besides when he didn't know I was watching the other day.

"I love you Sam. I love you so much. But I also love our daughter, and I'm going to spend her next few hours with her whether you decide to be the father you promised yourself you would be for her or not. But I'm not going just for Grace. I'm going for Seth too. Because we all know, as soon as Grace takes her final breath, so will Seth. And you will lose not only an imprint, but a pack member."

I take a deep, shakey breath before wiping my tears and exiting the house. I crank the car and drive back to the Cullen's. To my daughter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.3K 870 26
Trigger Warning: This book mentions abuse that might not be appropriate for all readers She never felt love or the warmth of a simple little hug, jus...
208K 4.7K 37
*COMPLETED*Ashley Cullen was just a baby when she and her birth parents were in a horrible car accident. Rosalie and Emmett Cullen happened to be by...
662K 18.9K 80
*Twilight series fanfiction* *Set after Breaking Dawn It has been a few months since the last encounter between the Cullens and the Volturi. Life has...
208K 4.3K 22
Melissa Marie Whitlock was born in Texas to an Annabelle Whitlock, in November of 1863. She was born right as her uncle was changed into a vampire, a...