Torment | 18+ ✓

By rhianovak

Running from hell isnʼt easy. Especially when thereʼs someone dragging you back down into it. Belligerent, b... More

preface
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36 part I
36 part II
37
38
39
40 part I
40 part II
epilogue

26

143K 5.1K 2K
By rhianovak

I’M NERVOUS. I’m also pissed. Because if my suspicions are true, it means that Rune Volkov is a lying, two-timing piece of shit. It means that he holds no loyalty to anyone but himself.

After Luca, Torren and Rune disappear through the hallway, the ball continues after the brief intrusion. Around us, some people are still whispering about Rune’s appearance.

I’m not going to be here forever.

Yes, you are.

He knew. The whole time, Torren knew I was planning to run to Russia under Bratva protection. So he invited Rune. And made a public show of it.

My gaze trains on the hallway. I cling to the hope that maybe, just maybe Rune’s appearance has nothing to do with me. That he’s here for some other business.

Irritation and curiosity blooming in my chest, I’m about to storm down the hallway and find out myself, when someone grasps my arm, stopping me.

Papa. He shakes his head, his face wan.

“Freya,” he says, gently, like he knows I’m a ticking time bomb.

I pull out of his hold, turning an accusatory look his way. “What’s going on? You said Rune agreed, right? You said he needed something from you.”

Papa shifts uncomfortably. “He did.”

“And you gave him what he wanted?”

“I assured him I would.”

My brows knit as I gesture to the hallway. “So why is he in there having a meeting with Torren?”

He’s silent, a deep disappointment in his gaze.

“What were you feeding me this whole time, then?” I press. “False hope?”

My father shakes his head. “He was going to agree, lisenok. I swear to you, he was going to agree. I don’t know how the boy found out.”

“So what do you want me to do now?”

“Stay put,” my father says, holding out a hand. “I’ll take care of it.”

Before I can ask him about his cryptic answer, his phone rings. He flips it out of his pocket, heading away. Across the room, Ana passes me a worried look with Mama’s hand wrapped around her arm, rooting her to the spot.

Hushed sounds fill the air once again. Like he was summoned, Rune walks out of the hallway back into the ballroom, followed by Torren and a disgruntled Luca. Rune looks satisfied, Torren’s tie is loose, and Luca is sporting a bloody nose and black eye.

When Torren looks my way, there’s something electric in the air.

It sneaks into my veins.

This.

This is the feeling I was trying so hard to run from.

This confusing, all-consuming feeling. It doesn’t feel like I’m fighting him anymore. It feels like I’m fighting myself.

Torren walks past me, and on impulse, I reach out, placing a hand on his arm.

He stops, turning to glare at me. I glare back, dropping my hand.

“What was Rune doing here?” I ask him.

His stare is angry and heavy on my face. “I had a business proposal for him.”

“What proposal?”

He scowls.

“You know damn well what proposal. You think you can run around, scheming behind my back, and I wouldn’t find out?” His eyes turn to accusing slits. “What were you planning on doing, little Morozov? Running away to Russia?”

I clench my jaw as my heart sinks in my chest. “Yes.”

At this, anger ripples through his features. “There isn’t an ounce of blood I won’t shed to get back what’s mine.”

“Russia is a big country.”

“I’d tear it apart to find you.”

My heart flips in my chest, but before I can muster up a reply, Luca is pulling him to the side to discuss something.

In the meantime, Rune Volkov walks over to me. Even in my heels, he towers over me. He has a handsome face, faint stubble.

People around us keep sneaking glances his way, but either Rune doesnʼt notice, or heʼs an expert at ignoring it.

Thereʼs a palpable sense of fear in the air, too. His reputation precedes him. He accomplished something only few  can — rising through the ranks from a mere enforcer to eventually rule the men who once owned him.

And although I hold some respect for him, I hold no fear.

“Did you say yes to whatever he offered you?” I ask, narrowing my eyes up at him.

The corner of his mouth lifts. “Nice to meet you, too, Miss Morozov.”

“Did you?” I press.

“It was only business. I never meant any harm,” he says, “I hope to make your acquaintance, sometime in the future.”

I scoff, indignant.

Rune tilts his head, amusement swimming in his silver gaze. “If you ever find yourself in need of protection, the offer remains.”

He waits a few seconds for my reply, but I say nothing. As he turns to leave, it hits me.

Itʼs over.

I no longer have a backup option.

Running away without legitimate protection is useless. Rune was the only safe way out.

But if it’s over, and I no longer have the option of leaving to Russia, why don’t I feel angrier? Why can I only think about the good things I’d be leaving behind, like my friends, and Ana and Giulia? Why do I feel . . . relieved?

If there’s another way, a way for me to get out of the marriage without having to leave my life in New York behind, I wouldn’t hesitate to take it.

Torren lifts his head from his conversation with Luca to glare at Rune’s back as he leaves. He takes a step toward me, then stops. His phone is ringing, I quickly realize. Torren lifts it to his ear, and whatever comes from the other end drains the blood from his face.

I frown, walking over to him instead. Luca notices that something’s wrong, too, because he moves closer to his cousin before asking, “What happened?”

“He’s dead,” Torren says, his voice low, “My father is dead.”

❖ ❖ ❖

authorʼs note:

this chapter is really short so I decided to do a double update.

make sure you follow me here on wattpad to get immediately notified as soon as i update — rhianovak

you can search “torren and freya” on spotify for the book playlist.

scroll for the next chapter >>>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.9K 293 6
"Your eyes are so beautiful, mia cara. I'll like you to keep them open as I take what's mine."- Zaviero De Santis, The Sinner. *** Zaviero They call...
388K 10.5K 36
There's a thin line between good and evil. Good. Azalea Blanc in one word. Although she is constantly surrounded by crime, she never lets it alters h...
5.9M 284K 97
When Nelle Wychthorn was forced to sign herself away in marriage, she should have read the contract's fine print. Because she signs not with ink, but...
204K 4.6K 42
"You will tell me everything I want to know beautiful," He whispered and bit the soft flesh near my neck. "Go fuck yourself," I said in a breathy vo...