Card of Heart

By CourtesyTrefflin

After escaping Death Watch, Ahsoka Tano and Lux Bonteri confess their growing feelings for one another. As Ah... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Deception
Chapter 2 - Reunion
Chapter 3 - Front Runners
Chapter 4 - Coruscant
Chapter 5 - The Wrong Jedi
Chapter 6 - Outside the Order
Chapter 8 - Returning Home
Chapter 9 - Disorder
Chapter 10 - Revenge of the Sith
Chapter 11 - Order 66
Chapter 12 - Rescue
Chapter 13 - The Inquisitors
Chapter 14 - A Hint Of Hope
Chapter 15 - Tatooine
Chapter 16 - Together

Chapter 7 - Clovis

145 2 8
By CourtesyTrefflin

Author's Note: Ahsoka is amazing. :)

WARNING: Mentions of sexual harassment (forcing a kiss on someone), and references to rape/non-con (which did not actually happen, or if it did, no one knows).

~ Amina Gila

It's been a little over a month since she left the Order, and Ahsoka is proud to say that she has finally succeeded in finding some semblance of a life. She's sitting on the couch looking through some documents that Padme had asked her to go through, when Anakin arrives. "Did you hear what happened?" he asks, dropping down beside her with a sigh.

"What?" Ahsoka asks with a frown.

"Apparently, Padme's been arrested on Scipio."

"What?!" she yelps.

"I don't know how it happened," he tells her, rubbing his face tiredly, "But it was under charges of espionage. I didn't hear all the details, but it sounds like she was doing something in the vaults where she shouldn't have been, and around the same time there was an explosion that caused a power outage. Teckla was found dead near the area of the incident."

Wait, Teckla's dead?! Ahsoka didn't know her well, but she'd seen her after leaving the Order since she worked for Padme.

Just what has Padme gotten herself into now?! She was supposed to be going on a diplomatic mission to Scipio on behest of the Chancellor. How did that end with her getting accused of espionage? Knowing the things Padme does sometimes, Ahsoka gets the feeling she was probably trying to do some sort of investigation or something that the Muuns clearly didn't appreciate.

"Do we know where she is?" Ahsoka queries.

"Yeah," Anakin confirms, "I offered to go bail her out."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

***

"Maybe try not to get arrested again," Ahsoka chirps as she and Anakin are shown to the prison cell. Padme is lying on her side on a padded bench next to the wall. She immediately sits up as they enter. Ahsoka is silently relieved to see that at least Padme is alright, even if she's been in prison for a while now.

"What exactly is going on here?" Anakin queries, something akin to anger in his tone.

"Ani, Ahsoka, I'm so glad to see both of you," Padme greets.

"I guess I'm not only useful for fighting wars after all," he quips, crossing the room and taking a seat next to her.

Padme ignores the comment and instead wearily asks, "How long have I been in here?"

"A few days. And I'd really like to know what you were doing that got you arrested in the first place," Ahsoka tells her, raising an eye marking.

"They say Teckla is dead. Is it true?"

Anakin sighs. "Yes. She was found shot at the bombsite."

"By who?" Padme asks, looking stricken.

"No one knows. They say she sabotaged the power grid. What happened?"

Padme looks down and pauses. "You have to get me out of here. Clovis –"

Anakin stands abruptly, expression darkening slightly. "What exactly does Clovis have to do with this?"

"Wait, wasn't he the Senator who nearly killed you?" Ahsoka objects, frowning at Padme. Back before the second battle of Geonosis, she remembers hearing something about how Padme and Anakin were able to find the plans for the factory when they were on some mission with Clovis. And Padme had nearly died from poisoning.

"It's more complicated than that," Padme replies, "But I can't explain everything here."

"How could you ever put your trust in a man like Clovis after what he did?" Anakin demands. From how upset he seems, Ahsoka is pretty sure something more happened here than she didn't hear about, because Anakin never gets upset for no reason.

"It's for the Republic, Anakin!" Padme exclaims, "Something is very wrong with the banks."

"Why is that when Clovis is around, your excuse is always that you're doing it for the Republic?!"

"Look, I don't know what's going on here," Ahsoka cuts in, "And I don't think we should talk about it here, but I don't think trusting Clovis is a good idea."

"We can talk about it outside," Padme suggests.

***

Leaving Scipio went about as smoothly as Ahsoka was expecting. After getting the corruption files Padme needed, they were chased down by a bounty hunter and the only one who could do anything of use was Anakin, since she didn't have her lightsabers. They'd finally managed to escape him when Ahsoka threw the bounty hunter back with the Force, allowing them enough time to get to the ship. It reminded her again of how much she misses fighting sometimes... and also why she's not ready to go back to the Order either.

Now, Ahsoka's pacing back and forth outside the Chancellor's office, waiting for the meeting to finish. She doesn't understand all the politics – even after working with Padme this long – but if Anakin doesn't trust Clovis' intentions, she doesn't think she does either. She may have worked with an ex-Separatist once, but that was completely different.

Finally, the doors opens, and she immediately moves off to the side into the shadows as several Jedi Council members pass by, along with a bunch of other Senators. The one thing she really doesn't like about being at the Senate all the time is that she'll often run into them. It's just a glaring reminder of what they did to her, how they turned their backs on her when she needed them the most.

Near the exit to the room, Anakin catches Padme's arm before she can walk off. And Ahsoka is pretty sure she's about to witness another one of her "parent's" arguments. And she's right.

"Why did you accept?" Anakin demands.

"Why would I not?" Padme retorts.

"I don't want you working with Clovis."

"You don't want me working with him?" she repeats incredulously.

"A serpent can shed its skin, but it's still a serpent," Anakin retorts. That, Ahsoka definitely agrees with. Clovis betrayed the Republic for the Separatists, for his own money. There's no reason to think he's up to anything better now. She might know people can change, but she knows better than anyone how it feels to have a best friend who betrays you for themself.

"Well, you're just going to have to trust my judgment here."

"Clovis is dangerous, Padme. You almost ended up dead. And he got you arrested."

"The Chancellor has asked me to do this, Anakin."

"But I am asking you to say no, as your husband." It's weird to hear him saying that out loud.

"We've already been over this. I'm not foolish enough to allow myself to be deceived twice, Anakin. My sole intentions are to defend the Republic."

Right on cue, Ahsoka sees Clovis walk around the corner. She narrows her eyes at him, moving to step between him, and Anakin and Padme. "We have company," Ahsoka interrupts, folding her arms.

Both of them look up sharply, Anakin's eyes narrowing as he sees Clovis standing there. "Excuse the interruption," Clovis says smoothly, "Shall we begin?"

"Yes, of course," Padme replies, hurrying off down the hall.

Ahsoka doesn't miss the stung look on Anakin's face as he watches them leaving. "This is stupid," she declares flatly. "We can't trust him."

"I know," Anakin sighs, "But she won't listen."

"I'll be there," Ahsoka assures. "If Clovis tries something, I'll stop him." She'll do the best she can, at least. "Padme will be on her guard though. I'm sure of it."

Anakin makes a sound of agreement, though the look on his face makes him look far older than he is. He doesn't look like he's twenty-two in moments like these. "I'm worried about her, Snips."

"Yeah, me too," she says softly, "But we'll be there." She'll be fine, or so Ahsoka has to believe.

***

With Anakin having returned to the Temple, and Padme busy with Clovis, Ahsoka finally finds the opportunity to go see Lux. They haven't had much time for a while now.

"How is everything?" Lux queries as Ahsoka takes a seat next to him. They won't have long before his next meeting, so they'll have to make the most of the time they do have. "You seem a little... upset."

Ahsoka huffs. "It's about Padme," she admits, "I'm worried about her." More like Anakin is worried about her, but she can't really say that. Lux might be the closest friend she's ever had, but this isn't something she can tell anyone, even if she badly wants to.

"Why?" Lux wonders with a frown.

"I'm assuming you've at least heard about the issues with the Banking Clan?" Ahsoka queries, and he nods. "Well, Clovis is a known traitor to the Republic, and I'm worried about Padme working so closely with him."

"Well," says Lux, smiling faintly, "You know people can change their minds about things like that."

"I know," the Togruta concedes, "But call it... a feeling." She trusts Anakin's judgment in this. And frankly, seeing Clovis around Padme makes her decidedly squirmish, though she can't really pinpoint a reason why.

"Did you talk to her about it?"

No, but Anakin did. She can't really say that, though. "I... mentioned it," Ahsoka says finally, because that at least, is true.

"You can tell her your concerns," Lux advises, "I know she's never been particularly concerned with her safety, so for now, you might want to... keep a close eye on him."

"Yes," Ahsoka agrees with a sigh, "I probably should. I ought to head back home now."

It's still jarring, sometimes, to call anywhere other than the Temple home. Or anywhere home at all really because she never exactly addressed the Temple like that, even if that's undoubtedly what it was.

With a final goodbye to Lux, Ahsoka slips out of his office, heading back for Padme's apartment. Hopefully Padme won't mind her barging in, but she's not planning to stand in the corner and snoop on the conversation between her and Clovis anyway. She'll just keep watch for a distance.

Opening the door to the apartment, the Togruta steps inside, freezing in her tracks at the sight in front of her.

"Clovis, no!" Padme is saying, even as the other man ignores and seems very intent on –-

That's all it takes to make her totally explode. He would seriously

It reminds her suddenly, of back on Zygerria, when that Zygerrian had been... looking at her. She could sense what he wanted through the Force, and – it's not different than what Clovis is doing now.

(Sometimes, she still wonders if there's anything to how Anakin was acting afterwards, too. He hadn't seemed capable of being touched by anyone immediately, and she'd never seen him so... closed off, before.)

And now – "Get away from her, you sleemo!" Ahsoka snarls.

Both of them jump, heads swiveling to the door.

Ahsoka suddenly becomes abruptly aware of someone else approaching behind her. Anakin.

But she's too angry to pay attention right now as she lunges at Clovis. "Ahsoka, stop!" yells Padme, sounding horrified and outraged at once, even as the Togruta punches a very startled and caught off guard Clovis in the face.

It all makes sense now, why Anakin didn't want someone like this around Padme. Of course, he didn't!

The last time she beat someone up out of anger was... a long time ago, but right now she could care less.

Clovis seems way too caught off guard to even respond – not that she gives him the chance to anyway. She punches him again, and he finally reacts to block her next blow. She hits him again, and then kicks him, throwing him off balance. He lands very unceremoniously on the floor.

Padme grabs her arm, yanking her a step back. "Ahsoka, that's enough!" she exclaims.

Ahsoka glares at her. "I saw what he was doing," she snaps, before she can launch into a lecture.

"I had it handled," Padme retorts, and Ahsoka gives her a dubious look.

Frankly, she doesn't care if Padme was capable of handling that on her own. The thought that someone would even think of... approaching her mother like that makes her want to beat up Clovis all over again.

Speaking of him... the Senator is slowly standing up, straightening his clothes and looking decidedly irritated over his undoubtedly very wounded pride.

"You said she was your daughter?" Clovis asks, looking to Padme.

Ahsoka bares her fangs at him. "Yes," she spits, "And you'll keep your hands of my mother if you know what's good for you." She notices out of the corner of her eye that Anakin is standing off to the side with his arms crossed, looking most uncomfortable and very upset.

"Ahsoka," says Padme sharply.

"What?" she snaps back.

"We were in the middle of an important meeting, and –"

"Some meeting," she mumbles under her breath.

"I have some calls to make on my own. I will see you tomorrow, Padme," Clovis finally excuses himself, heading for the door.

"That behavior was completely inappropriate," Padme scolds, waiting until he's disappeared out the door before she looks back at her.

"His behavior was hardly appropriate either. Don't be unreasonable... mom," she retorts.

The Senator lets out a sigh of exasperation, but some of her anger seems to fade. (Did pulling the 'Mom' card just work?) "I know," Padme says, "But it wasn't what it seemed like. And I could have handled it... much more effectively and without a fight. Now, I need to deal with this... situation." She turns at that, stalking out of the room.

"I can see why you didn't want him around Padme," Ahsoka says flatly to Anakin as soon as they're alone.

"I really shouldn't encourage acts of violence," Anakin says dryly, "But... thank you."

"I'd gladly do it again," Ahsoka deadpans.

***

"Are you alright? What happened?" Ahsoka demands the moment Anakin and Padme get back to her apartment. Padme had left for Scipio for the deal with the Banking Clan, and the next thing Ahsoka knew, she was hearing about the Republic and Separatists invading, and Anakin was sent in order to get Padme out. And now she wishes more than anything that she would have been able to go too.

"I'm fine," Padme assures, though she's looking a little worn out.

"Clovis made a deal with the Separatists," Anakin explains.

"And now the Republic is going to take control of the Banking Clans," Padme explains. "Now that Clovis is... dead."

The Togruta blinks in surprise, "Clovis is dead?" Maybe she should care more than she does, but she does not like him one bit. "How did that happen?" What kind of chaos did they get into without her?

"Part of the building was hit by debris when the droids attacked," Padme explains, "Anakin was only able to save me." She doesn't sound happy, and it reminds Ahsoka again that yes, Clovis was her friend, even if he was very messed up. Of course, she's upset that he died. Ahsoka just isn't sure how to go about making her feel better.

But she does have another question. "So, if the Republic is in control of the banks, doesn't that mean the Separatists won't be able to get money from them anymore?" Maybe some good will come of this situation, after all.

"It does," Padme informs, "But the Trade Federation already has so many resources, I don't know how much of a difference it will make."

"We can hope," Ahsoka replies.

Padme has to leave after that to attend a Senate meeting, and Anakin and Ahsoka decide to tag along, talking quietly as they observe from a waiting balcony from which they can observe the proceedings.

"I'm going to be leaving for a mission in the Outer Rim," Anakin tells her, "I don't know when I'll be back, but it might not be for a while. The Separatists are mounting their attacks, and I'm needed on the front lines."

Of course, this would happen eventually. Anakin's only been on Coruscant this much recently because he was on leave for a short time after the whole framing incident. But now... He'll be going back to fighting like he was before, and she doesn't know when she'll see him again. She won't be there with him, won't know if he's alright or anything. She won't know about Rex and the boys, either. (She misses them.) "Be careful," Ahsoka orders, "Don't do anything stupid that you'd need me to pull you out of."

"I'll be careful," Anakin assures, "Stay safe. Both of you."

Ahsoka moves closer impulsively, wrapping her arms tightly around him. "I'll miss you," she whispers, because it's the truth. She's not ready for this, but in the end, it was her choice to leave. At least she's still in contact with him, if nothing else.

"We can call each other, from time to time," Anakin assures, "I did that with Padme too."

Ahsoka smiles faintly. "I know. I'll miss you, Skyguy."

"I'll miss you too. We all do."

***

It's been over a month since Anakin left, and there's still no signs of when he's going to be back. She really, really misses him, and this has been almost the longest they've been apart, but she knows he's doing good out there. It's probably the only thing keeping her sane. She's working on Senate work early in the morning when Padme steps into the room.

Ahsoka notices instantly that something about her adopted mother seems... off. Her emotions are radiating loudly into the Force despite her naturally relatively good shielding, which is saying something. She seems torn between excitement, nervousness, maybe a little fear, and a multitude of other emotions Ahsoka can't label. If she's trying to hide it, she's doing a very poor job at it.

"Is... something going on?" Ahsoka asks, once she's certain everyone else is out of earshot.

Padme blinks in surprise, then smiles in faint amusement. "Was it that obvious?"

"Clear enough," she replies, raising an eye marking. She has no idea what this could be, but now she's dying of curiosity.

"I... I'd make you wait until Anakin got back, but I don't know how long that's going to be."

"Wait for what?" she demands. What's going on here? And what could it be that has something to do with Anakin?

Padme walks closer, taking a seat next to her. "Ahsoka, I... I'm pregnant."

All gears in her mind promptly screech to a halt. What?! "I – I'm going to be an aunt?!" she asks, half-hysterically. What – how –

Padme laughs. "Yes, although seeing as you're also our child, you'll technically be their older sister."

Right. She's going to be an older sister. Anakin and Padme are going to have a child. And that... has so many implications she can hardly begin to think about right now. "You have perfect timing," Ahsoka deadpans.

Padme sighs. "I don't know what we're going to do. When the word gets out, Anakin is going to be thrown out of the Order, and it's going to cause a scandal in the Senate."

Ahsoka grimaces. She doesn't even know how to feel about this herself, much less give Padme any potential advice on what they could do. She's obviously never dealt with anything of such nature before, and she has absolutely no idea how to go about it. "Anakin has talked about leaving the Order before," she says, finally, "And I'm sure he'd want to, to raise his child."

Unless the child becomes a Jedi. She doesn't know if Anakin or Padme would want that, though. Personally, she really hopes not. She wouldn't wish that on them, not when they could have a family as good as this one.

"I know." That doesn't seem to have made Padme a whole lot happier about the situation. Considering that her own job and reputation is in jeopardy as well, that's not really a surprise.

"I don't know what we can do, but I'm sure we can figure something out," Ahsoka offers, finally, "Things will... work out."

Maybe. Hopefully. She doesn't know what more she can say beyond that.

But she doesn't want to get lost in worries right now. They're going to have a child. She'll be an older sister, an aunt. It's a mix of both, because she still sees Anakin more as a brother. Maybe. She never had a parent, so she assumes he took both roles. She can't believe this is happening.

Final Notes: If you want to join our Discord to receive updates or just hang out, here's the invite link, and please delete the spaces! :) discord . gg / nqSxuz2

You can find us on tumblr at @fanfictasia (which is our more serious blog which does have controversial posts on it; I won't be offended if you choose to block it, promise), and @disastertriowriting (which is our fun blog with crack posts or incorrect SW quotes; we also advertise our SW gift exchanges on there)

And! We have a YT channel for tributes! Please delete the spaces in the link. :D youtube . com / channel / UC_g1M5rSCxJUzQCRS29B6pA

Finally, if you're interested, you can submit a SW gift fic request via the following form (delete the spaces): forms . gle / rmXWtRomMMaULuPa6

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.3K 548 33
The war is over, the jedi were executed for treason, and then imperial times had begun. The only jedi left were Obi-Wan, Yoda, and of course Anakin's...
4.3K 116 20
Obi-Wan Kenobi is dead. Except he's not. And Anakin Skywalker doesn't know how to cope with the crushing betrayal. "He knows he shouldn't hurt himsel...
670 47 8
Civil war has ravaged the galaxy since countless Jedi escaped Operation Knightfall, because of a mysterious forewarning. As Vader raises Leia amidst...
30.8K 836 35
Book two of Ahsoka, Daughter of the Light. Ahsoka Tano has left the Jedi Order, after an incident where she was framed for bombing the Jedi Temple an...