Ascension - Book Eight - Man...

By EeveeAndras

Ending a war doesn't often mean immediate peace for there are always those who wish for things to return to t... More

Author's Notes
Chapter 1 (New)
Chapter 2 (new)
Chapter 3 (new)
Chapter 4 (new)
Chapter 5 (new)
Chapter 6 ( M) (new)
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 (M)
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 ( M)
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20 ( M)
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 ( M)
Chapter 36
Chapter 37 (M)
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46 (M)
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53 (M)
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57 (M)
Chapter 58 (M)
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66 (M)
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72 (TW)
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78 (M)
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93 (M)
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97 (M)
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100 (M)
Chapter 101 (M)
Chapter 102
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106 (M )
Chapter 107
Chapter 108 (M)
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115 (M)
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120 (M)
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130 (M)
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138 (M)
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146 (M)
Chapter 147 (M)
Chapter 148 (End)
End and QA
Extra - The Mechanic (M)
Extra - Your turn (M)
Extra- Christmas
Extra- Easter Dinner (M)

Chapter 103

107 15 4
By EeveeAndras

Even in my heightened state, wanting to get to Verando, I could tell there was a shift. A part of him that didn't belong there, the size of the wolf was larger than I'd ever seen Alpha, it was one of the things I first noticed about him in the ranking battles when compared to the other wolves. 

Verando had never been the largest, he was built more for speed yet the shoulder hindering him had forced him to adapt. Alpha was slimmer in build, a more plush coat, once Tonic had discussed with me that wolves were more adapted to 'regions', and Verando's coat would indicate he was a more 'tundra' type. Yet, the substance he held never supported that until now. 

Bulkier, more muscled, heavier, the black covered half of his face as if paint had been thrown into his pelt. The black eyes dabbed with icy blue pupils, focused on Tyr. 

"Finally found yourself a vessel. These fools were so focused on Kestrel, Caspian... when the truth of a third option was right in their faces. Greed and Hate. The one who hates makes an interesting host with those other pieces of Whitewind in there." Allowing the staff to stay planted in the ground, he wields his sword, adjusting his stance as the wolf growls low in his chest. 

"Can't even talk. It's impressive that a mortal could hold back the end of the world by will alone." Tilting his head, he takes slow careful steps as he attempts to circle the lycan, only to be met with the pointed stamp of the clenched paws. The god would not be allowed to pass, a simple bark showed his intention, Tyr scoffs at the response. 

The black inky substances leaks and drips from the slices in his throat by the strigoi chain, staining the snow beneath him.  I push past Tiberius but acknowledge that the last time I was near Fenrir he tried to kill me. If I was wrong... I don't think I'd survive a second thrashing, the truth was that none of us would. 

I can't get to him before the god makes a move, sailing across the snow in a billow of fresh pack. The wolf meets him head-on, the sword hits flesh and yet it's as if it had been met with iron. A clang off his shoulder blade as the long fangs nearly sink into the man's leg. Tyr kicks him away, the impact sending him slamming into the snow with an explosion of earth and material. 

"Are you satisfied?" He shouts over his shoulder, scowling as the wolf appears out of the crater, jumping ontop of him only for him to kick the beast into the air. I'm impressed by the fighting style, how long had it been since I'd really seen my husband in action? The way he controls himself through the air, using the impact to right his body and catch the ground on the landing. Tyr meets him, head on with the sword, Tiberius must feel some sort of loyalty to me for he's standing right at my side with the most horrified look on his face. 

To him, it would be the end of days, to me, it was watching someone attempt to murder the man I love. 

"Drop your weapon and he will stop!" I shout. 

"More lies. More false hope. You mortals can not open your eyes to what is in front of you. A Demon. A god created to end this plain, are you truly so selfish?" Tyr shouts over the snarl of the wolf as he smacks him across the muzzle with the butt of the sword. Verando paws at his nose, kicking out with his hind leg to send the man sailing across the street. 

Panting, blood seeping from between his teeth, I freeze as the black gaze rolls to lock on me and the Siren. 

"Tiberius get out of here," I demand the man beside me. 

"He will devour you, Nic. If we stick together we might be able to at least lure him away." The fear, the undeniable fear. Could I truly blame them for acting against us when they seemed to believe we were willing to let this creature loose? Nobody knew Verando as I did, nobody had seen the force of nature that was Alpha as I had. 

Turning to face us, the wolf bares his fangs with a bark, ears pinned back against his skull. It was the first moment I'd questioned it, the first moment there lacked intelligence behind the matte gaze. 

He looked like a beast, a monster.

"Randy." I attempt as the steps gain momentum, he reminded me of the infected wolves, nearly rabid with desire. 

Tiberius grips my arm. "Nic, I'm not going to let him hurt you. I can't. We need a plan."

"This is my plan. Alpha-"

The beast lunges for me, it's a sight I recognize, he was going to shred me, for he was infected in a sense. Consumed by the creature lurking beneath, overwhelmed by a blood lust that he couldn't fight against, while we could keep Fenrir suppressed from exposing himself entirely could we stop his influence? 

The Siren holds his ground, I suppose he intended to die with me. I can only flinch from the blood splatter as the sword plunges through the wolf's back, pinning him to the ground with the tip of the blade. Tyr pants, bloodied, battered from the impact, but no worse for wear. His boot lands on the wolf's muzzle, slamming his head to the ground as he fights to free himself from the sword. 

"Cut yourself in half, mutt." He spits, scowling before turning his attention to me. "I ask again. Satisfied?" 

"It's not fair." It's the only words that come out as Verando struggles to get free. "He was fine. He was... dealing."

"Until he wasn't." Tyr gestures to the mottled beast. "He's darkening, how many times do I have to insist upon this lot that there are consequences for this path? We can not allow Fenrir to have such close access to the unicorn. Some dogs are best put down."

"Fenrir can't be killed," Tiberius interjects. 

The god frowns, "I would take him to the underworld myself. It's a trip I probably won't return from but that is what a god does for those who serve him. I did this, to Fenrir, because I love mortals much as they continue to destroy everything I am."

With a shaky breath, I drop to my knees in front of him. Those eyes never leave me, the light blue glimmering pupils in the sea of black, even struggling against a god and impaled. Was he looking at me because he loved me or because he thirsted for my blood? The spread of the red and black liquid nearly touches my knees, staining the snow. 

It couldn't end like this, I couldn't allow him to take Verando. "You and Fenrir were friends. Just like Verando and Caspian."

Unimpressed, Tyr mulls over entertaining my question. "It was more than a friendship. I was the only one he trusted when I betrayed him." His words make the wolf fight against him, he struggles to keep him pinned but it would seem the seal and the chain had done something to limit his power. In Caspian's body, the beast was unhinged, it would seem that Verando's limitations were his own. 

"Because of what he... would.. do?"

With hesitation, he shakes his head. "He promised to do, his lineage could not be trusted, can not be trusted. He is the son of Loki, he is the producer of those who chase the sun in an eternal dance. Terrorizing gods and mortals alike, there are plenty of crimes for you to pick from. Allowing a god such as this to walk this earth is starting to create a stir in the other realms. We are uncertain of what we are up against... but what is coming is not good."

Other realms? 

Tiberius flinches, "Like other regions? Other gods?"

Tyr grits his teeth, struggling to keep the wolf pinned. "Anubus has been seen in the dead lands, with monsters-" Forcing the sword deeper, the wolf yelps, "This is creating a portal, an opening to all other gods that earth is open for mischief. There is an unspoken rule that we do not interfere."

"But you already have!" I shout back. 

"And look what's happened!" Tyr snarls, Verando forces himself up onto his paws, seemingly infuriated by the way the man spoke to me. Struggling to force him back down, he moves his foot to stand behind the creature's head, shoving his heel into the chain. "You think this is your husband? You think there is any humanity left in this creature?"

"I know there is." My words are final, absolute. "If you would stop meddling, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. We have sealed Fenrir away, he can't get out-"

"And this is the best time to imprison him." Tyr seethes, only to shake his head in disgust. "You can wager the same way I did. Slice your palm, and put your hand in the mouth of the beast. When he bites it off, when he attempts to consume you, I will take him to the underworld after I'm kind enough to cut your tether to this husk."

Those words cut me to the quick. A wager, Tiberius always said gods loved to wager but was I willing to bet such high stakes? The fangs bared at me, thrashing against the boot, it'd be easy if he were calm. What choice did I have? If I said no, surely he would take him anyways, and my ability to fight a god... I shudder to consider the damage I would take. Our front lawn was already destroyed, at least this option he was willing to leave me to my children. 

I feel a single tear slip down my cheek, I had to think of them, too. How could I leave them? 

"Please, Nic. Don't sacrifice a hand. Look at him. I beg of you." Tiberius pleads. 

"You're running out of time. I've got a twenty year walk ahead of me." Tyr glowers at the both of us. "Decide." Stomping on the chain, the wolf barks back in a short yelp of pain. I clench my hand tightly, remembering his recent obsession with my blood.

Holding out my hand to Tiberius, the Siren can only shudder as he drags a finger nail over my skin to slice the palm open. Those black eyes lock on my skin, body quivering, it was as if the scent of it had distracted him from the sword impaling his body. "I'll take that wager."

"A foolish mistake. Proceed so I can be done with this."

Clenching my hand, I meet the wolf's gaze, a predator locked onto his prey. "Randy. I know you're in there because you've tried so hard not to hurt anyone. I know that Fenrir is trying to get to the surface but he can't, the seal is working... the chain is working... you just have to-" Have to what? 

Try harder? Believe? Continue to be inhuman? 

"Let Alpha help you if you must." I plead, there was no force of nature stronger than that beast. "Alpha. I need you. Please." I let my own wolf come forward, though I hold it just under the surface, I can only hope the scent blocks out the one of my fresh blood. 

Slowly spreading my fingers, I carefully extend my hand towards his muzzle, eyes locked with the matte vision staring back at me. The quivering upper lip of a building snarl, the way he almost recoiled as if he didn't want me to touch him, and yet he was enticed to allow the passage if only to get a taste. 

"Open your mouth," I command the creature, feeling Tiberius's hand rest on my shoulder. 

"He must do it on his own." Tyr shouts, eyes sharp as the Siren retracts his body and steps back. 

Swallowing hard, I resist the urge to stroke him, to tell him it was alright no matter what happened. But, I had to believe that a god could contend with a god. Alpha was descended from a splinter of Whitewind, now almost fully reformed save for the fracture of Malka. If there was any vessel that could fight back, it would be this one. 

"You're a good boy," I whisper, keeping my tone gentle. "I know you keep us safe. Hang in there." 

As the jaws part, I say goodbye to my hand. While I had faith, a part of me needed to accept that the probability was high for failure. I was alright with that, I'd made my peace. Placing my fingers between the bold fangs, I can't help but notice the trembling rolling through my body. 

It's enough to make Tyr scoff. "Not looking so confident now."

I couldn't think about that, exhaling slowly, I know the blood from my palm is dripping onto his tongue. I note the flex of his jaw, the way his body seems to wish to ignite from the taste, shutting my eyes I can only wait for the verdict.

The tips of the ivory fangs touch my skin, threatening to snap shut, threatening to maim me as he'd promised that night in the barn. Yet, I feel the wet, flat tongue on my palm and when I open my eyes the gray wolf finishes a simple pass over my palm to seal the cut. The large headrests in the snow with a low whine, and rounded eyes returned to their state of solid blue. 

Silence falls over our small group, Verando's form changes as fast as it had before. Naked, on his stomach, with the sword plunged through his back and his face forced into the snow. Shivering from the fatigue, unable to even retort. I sigh in relief, feeling the emotion threatening to spill over as I meet the startled gaze of the god. "A deal's a deal." Tyr yanks the sword from his back as Verando flinches. 

I quickly crawl forward, helping Verando onto his hands and knees as I inspect the deep cuts and bruising around his neck from the chain. To my shock, it was healing faster than I could analyze it. 

The suspicion of the norse god makes me on edge, "It would appear your tricks have done just enough that Fenrir can not expose his full power. That does not mean you are not influenced by him, that you are not an incredible danger to everyone around you... including the unicorn."

Tiberius mimics the shock, white-faced, resting back into a seated position. The blame was strong, he was horrified, and he had almost killed his friend. "The trial has been passed." He manages, staring back at Tyr. "He passed, we can handle anything else."

"It does not change the fact that this being opens the pathway to other gods."

"If they're coming now, they're not going to stop coming just because Verando is gone. You aren't who you were, it's obvious by how you just got your ass kicked, you're going to need eyes on the ground."

Tiberius flinches at my words, shaking his head but I'd already committed to doing whatever it would take to keep my family whole. 

With a scowl, the god narrows his eyes, "Another deal? How many promises do you intend to break?"

It's enough to make me laugh, "As someone who's been over taken by evil, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. My husband's life would become an eternal hell if you put him in the underworld, not for it's location, but for the possession within him. Fenrir can't die, there for his vessel is trapped with him. If the time comes, I will take Fenrir to the underworld myself, but until that point you're going to need us. You said it yourself, there are few stronger than Fenrir."

While I was on the fence about if we could control the creature and what it would do to Verando to do so, our options became more and more limited with each passing second. With the man hardly holding consciousness in my arms, I couldn't allow the aged fellow to take him. Time and time again those green eyes scan us, he curses, running out of time with his own vessel. 

"You both have a foul habit of mingling with the all mighty, perhaps consider that it's unbecoming and bad for your health. Fenrir must remain under control, this will be the last time you see me for I'm sure allowing this to slip once again will excommunicate me from my position. But.. my love for mortals.. presses me to not damn a life to an eternity in a cage if it can be helped. Even if it's the end of the world in his palms, for now, it would appear your chain and your seal are working. "

This seems to hurt Tiberius more than any of us, while his lips part to ague, no sound comes out. It was Tyr or Verando, we both picked my warlord and the god seemed to understand that. 

"Thank my vessel for me, he's been beyond adequate."

With a flash of light, Landon drops to the ground, we were all spared once more. I couldn't help but think our connection to the unicorn was the only thing keeping us together, for if there were other gods walking this realm it would be too hard to pass up a child unicorn. 

Who better to defend that child, than me and the ender of the world? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.9K 3.3K 49
General Sevei is of the firm opinion that Nobles are shady and Alchemists even shadier. Noble Alchemists are the absolute worst. He is not looking fo...
203K 11.7K 44
Book One of the Alpha Series -- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS 'ALPHA'. Sometimes, the story isn't supposed to be about you. Sometimes, you are the weakest link...
13 1 18
The WAR *** Not the story you think it is! Or maybe expecting. It's just a mess of many words leading to nowhere. A very slow love story. Or two...
Spectrum By J. J. welch

Science Fiction

54 11 6
Everyone knows evil exists, but most people die before they witness it in its purest form. His home is a place of simplicity, order, a city without t...