The Secluding of Eve

By angelheaven101

What would you do if someone offered you the chance to be a spy? That would mean leaving your family, friends... More

Prolouge
Ch. 1-Bond Prep
Ch. 2-Friends
Ch. 3-Enemies
Ch. 4-Flowers
Ch. 5-Ms. Kimi
Ch. 6-Frost551
Ch. 7- Cage3219
Ch. 8-Before j45t990
Ch. 9-j45t990
Ch. 10-Harvey
Ch. 11-Fight
Ch. 12 Recovery
Ch. 13-Jared
Ch. 14-Goodbye Daddy
Ch. 15-Mrs. Moore
Ch.16-CPR
Ch. 17-Returns
Ch. 18-plans
Ch. 20-Eve
Ch. 21-Green light
Ch. 22-Scrapbooks

Ch. 19-Ball

1.9K 26 8
By angelheaven101

  “Ready,” Harvey asks. I nod while handing Harvey my dress. Please be careful with it, Harvey. I never knew a dress could cost so much.

  “Of course she is. We spent the whole day shopping. I’m not letting that hard work go to waste,” Jinx says from behind me. She’s right. Things have been pretty calm recently, and tonight is the night of the ball. I’m nervous as heck because I have things on a very tight schedule. Oh please let things go as they are planned.

  “You look sick. Are you okay,” Kain asks me. Get a grip Eve.

  “Yeah. Headache is all that is,” I lie easily. It’s not that far from the truth. Harvey takes my hand and I smile up at him. Things have been really close between us. We are still only friends, I’ve made that pretty clear with my behavior and Harvey respects that.

     At least I hope Harvey respects that. There’s always disappointment in his eyes when I push him away but what can I do? I’m a spy and this is my mission. Speaking of this mission, news came in that Christina’s cousin mysteriously was food poisoned. We don’t know by who but this is the same cousin who was planning to spend the whole night with Christina. Apparently the cousin is very clingy and Christina was very close to her. That’s the only news I’ve heard from Bond and I heard that from Ranger. Overall, everyone on the mission has been warned to stay on our toes.

  “The traffic around this time of year never surprises me,” James says while driving. In front of me is an endless line of cars and when I look back, there’s an even longer line. I can faintly hear the sound of helicopters in the air trying to leave. I would never be caught dead in a school like this, but here I am. All week I’ve heard nothing but talk about the latest fashions and parties. The boys are just as bad as the girls are but their priorities are a little different.

  “What never surprises me are the blondes who worry about who will dance with them,” Jinx says while looking at her nails that are painted dark blue. The color matches the dress she has to wear tonight. My nails are yellow just like my dress. Jinx and I will do our hair and makeup when we arrive at the castle.

     I sigh because I feel really spoiled. Is this what people mean by having cash to burn but nothing to go up in flames? I have money coming out of my ears and I’m surrounded by others with a never ending supply of it so why do I feel so strange? Am I getting soft? That can’t be it. I trained at four in the morning just so I wouldn’t be caught off guard tonight.

     I don’t have any weapons on me of course but there’s nothing better than a good old fashioned fist fight. I was even able to practice with Riley this morning. This was before I did my nails and took a long bath. I can’t raise suspicion to myself. I catch Harvey looking at me so I give him a quick grin before giggling.

  “I guess you don’t have to worry about that. Lucky you, right,” Kain asks.

  “Are you implying that no one will dance with me,” Jinx asks. Harvey chuckles and I nudge Kain. He shouldn’t get on Jinx’s nerves today. They’re a little weirder than normal and I’ve been trying to figure out that cause.

  “It was only a question,” Kain says with a smirk.

    Jinx rolls her eyes before saying, “I don’t know why I put up with you. You can never just be civilized. You need to evolve.”

   Kain grunts before kissing Jinx’s cheek and saying, “You woman. Me man.” Jinx turns red quickly and Harvey and I burst out into laughter.

   “Shut up! I’m going to disown all of you,” Jinx threatens with a smirk on her lips. 

   “Yes ma’am,” Kain says and that send us through another round of laughter. After our laughter finally calms down, James clears his throat.

  “Jinx your mother wanted to tell you that during the party there will be a surprise for all three of you. Ms. Ember, Mrs. Moore has a small bag from her exclusive collection for you in the trunk,” James says.

  “Thank you,” I say. I get a purse? Awesome. What can I fill it with?

  “What’s my surprise? I hate Mrs. Moore’s surprises. They’re never delightful,” Harvey says.

     James shrugs before saying, “I’m sorry. I don’t know.”

      I pat Harvey’s leg before saying, “If only you were a girl and she didn’t know you well. You could’ve had a special…exceptional…professional….what is the word James?” I ask.

   “Exclusive,” he says. Oh yes.

   “Exclusive handbag,” I say with a grin. I feel so…upper class with my big words.

    Harvey laughs before saying, “No thank you. I don’t want to fight anyone for making fun of my handbag.”

  “Oh for tea’s sake just call it a purse,” Jinx says. Ouch. Ruin all my fun why don’t ya Jinx. The rest of the two hour drive is filled with mindless chatter. It’s actually nice to have things in common with other people. Maybe I’m relaxing into this role too well.

  Harvey touches my shoulder while snapping me out of my thoughts before saying, “You seem tense. Something wrong?” I shake my head no and Kain groans.

  “Yes there is. Tell us,” Kain says. Oh crap. What did I let slip? Let’s see what I can come up with. I look up at Harvey and his eyes soften.

  “Unless it’s something too personal,” Harvey adds.

    Jinx answers for me by saying, “Nothing is too personal. I live for these moments.”

  “Who doesn’t know that,” Kain asks. I’ve got it!

  “This is the first ball I’ve gone to since I was a little girl. I mean really little. I went to one in the past but I was only five. I still had that ‘aww you’re such a sweetheart’ vibe,” I explain. That sounds believable, right? It’s so hard trying to be like these rich kids. Their lives are so…exclusive.

    Kain groans before saying, “Lucky. I always had to go some place with my parents. Right Harv?”

    Harvey nods in agreement before saying, “I think there was only one party that I didn’t go with you to. I had the pox, remember?”

     Kain nods before Jinx says, “I went with you guys until I turned eleven and my mother said I was out of control. Bloody wench.”

    “Yeah you were the life of the party. If there was a scandal, you were always in the middle of it,” Kain says with a smirk.

  “Naturally,” Jinx says before flipping her hair back and sending the four of us into another round of laughter. It feels so good to laugh.

  “We’re here,” James says as we pull up to a huge dark brown brick castle. It has to be big enough to fit five armies and I’m talking about the big ones. Surrounding the castle are rows of trees and benches Two guys run to open our doors and I get out after Caleb.

  “Wow,” I say automatically as I look at the large Dark brown castle. I still can’t get over how princess-like this place is.

  “This is just Christina’s party castle,” Kain whispers to me. Oh my goodness!

   Jinx rolls her eyes before saying, “My leather factory is twice this size. She’s just a show off.”

  “Catty much?” Harvey asks while grabbing my dress out of an attendant’s hand.

    Kain does the same for Jinx’s dress before saying, “You don’t know this girl. She will kill you if there’s a fingerprint. Consider your life saved.” The poor guy stares at us in confusion before saying a simple yes sir. I look at the guy and give him a weak smile. I could easily be in his position. I wouldn’t want someone to be snobby to me.

  “Thank you,” I say while walking away.

  “No prob miss,” I hear the guy say faintly. Ah miss. I like that word. As the four of us walk up the steps, I see Christina greeting her guests. This must seem so amazing for her. She has who I assume to be her father and mother in suits standing next to her while greeting guest. Where’s Scarlett? That’s a little suspicious.

  “Hello Kain, Ember, Jenna, and Harvey,” Christina says with a bright smile that I return. Christina has light make up and her hair in a loose ponytail but she still looks like a model. I know that Harvey went to visit her while she was sick but I had to follow Harvey to figure that out.

  “You look lovely Christina,” Kain says before kissing Christina’s hand. No wonder Mrs. Moore loves him.

  “Hello Mr. Brown,” Jinx says while letting Mr. Brown kiss her hand. It’s clear on Jinx’s face that she would’ve rather shook his hand.

  “Hello dear. Is everything well with you? Your mother said…ah what does that matter. You seem perfectly fine,” he says. I wonder what Mrs. Moore told these people.

  “I feel like such a celebrity,” Jinx says sarcastically but with a smile on her face.

  “I hope everyone feels that way tonight. I hope you and all of your friends have a wonderful time,” Mrs. Brown says with a bright smile. She looks just like Christina. Mr. Brown looks more like Scarlett. There’s just something about how he carries himself that reminds me of Scarlett.

  “I can guarantee that Mrs. Brown,” Harvey says while making his presence known. Mr. and Mrs. Brown look Harvey over before putting on an obviously fake smile.

  “So glad you made it too Mr. Turner. You’re tall just like your father,” Mrs. Brown says.  

    Harvey simply nods before Christina asks, “Harvey will you save me a dance? You always have something funny to say.” By the way Christina is staring at Harvey, he has very little choice.

     Harvey glances at me before saying, “Of course.” I look up at Christina and although she has a bright, fake smile on her face, I can see disappointment, maybe even pain, in her eyes. What did she expect Harvey to say? He’s made it pretty clear to the world that he wishes Christina would leave him alone.

  “Thank you. Others are inside to assist you,” Christiana says. I smile politely at Christina before walking past her. I’m glad that’s over.

  “She’s not going to take no for an answer,” Kain says.

    Harvey just shrugs before saying, “I already did.”

  “No you said perhaps. As amusing as watching her cry would be, don’t do it,” Jinx says. If I didn’t know any better I would almost think that Jinx cares about Christina. Oh well. As my heels, yes heels, clank against the marble floor, I’m looking around in awe.

   I see a lot of men and women dressed in servant uniforms ready to assets the guests. I see kids like me, or who I’m pretending to be, on groups like my own. Of course they don’t seem as amazed over the scale of this place like I do. I really should stop looking at everything like it’s the coolest thing since sliced bread. I just can’t help it.

  “Come on I want a good spot to change on,” Jinx says while grabbing my hand.

    Harvey hands me my dress before saying,” Your first dance will be with me tonight.” Since I have no choice I nod and walk away. Great. My first dancing disaster well be with Harvey. Kain kisses Jinx’s hand before Jinx and I walk away.

  “These hallways are so big. It’s like a bloody maze,” Jinx says. I giggle while taking in my surroundings. Maybe the library is down this hall. Maybe I can ask Jinx. How can I word this?

   “All of this space is just. For partying?”I ask.

  “No… there’s a pool, spa, and library here along with kitchens, bathrooms, and bedrooms,” Jinx says. Kitchens? Who needs more than one kitchen?

  “That sounds awesome. In this place the library has to be huge, right?” I ask.Jinx laughs before walking into a small room. Is this the library? It’s pretty small. No wonder we’re meeting in here.

  “Yeah, real big,” she says sarcastically.

    I giggle before saying, “Be nice. We’re here to party after all.” Well Jinx is. I’m here to protect.

  “You’re right. Let’s go,” Jinx says and we head to our dressing room. As I walk into the crowded room, I hear Lexie shriek in excitement.

  “It’s gorgeous! Who gave that to you,” a girl asks. What’s going on?

  “Must’ve been Zayne. We’ve gotten really close,” Lexie says while putting on the diamond necklace. It really is pretty, but why would Zayne give a gift like that now? Based on the troubling look in Lexie’s eyes, I can tell that she’s thinking the same question.

  “I don’t even want to think about how she got those,” Jinx says before walking to the back and away from the drama. I follow and notice that a few girls are already dressed. Some of them look like a million bucks and that’s probably just the price of the dress. Jinx takes a seat before pulling one next to her.

  “Sit. I’ve got to talk to you,” Jinx says. I see her eyes soften and almost recognize sadness. Alright. It’s a good thing that I’ve gotten better at the listening thing. I sit down and Jinx sighs.

  “You won’t believe what Kain told me. He says he knows,” she says. Knows what? Based on the look in Jinx’s eyes, I can figure it out.

  “What did he say? Are you going to marry Kain,” I ask and Jinx puts a hand over my mouth.

  “Don’t say that! Whatever I get, some other girl goes after and I do not want that,” Jinx says. As if to prove her point, I notice a few girls looking our way. I give the girls a small wave and they turn around. Rude much? Jinx finally calms down enough to move her hand and I shrug.

  “Well Kain has to have some self control. Everything can’t be left up to you,” I say simply.

  “I know what you’re saying but…it’s hard. Kain’s like a puppy, you know? I’ve fed it, gave it a home, and don’t want anything or anyone getting near him. For him to say that he knows but not do anything about it…that hurts,” Jinx says while tearing up. Oh no.

  “What did he say exactly,” I ask while handing her a tissue from a table next to me.

  “He said that he knows I’m hiding a secret and that my mom told him about the details. He wouldn’t tell me what he knows until I tell him what I know. Why would he put me through much confusion,” Jinx asks. Kain you’re an idiot.

  “I think he’s just bluffing, messing with your mind. If I were you, I would pretend like Kain never said anything,” I say.

    Jinx laughs lightly before saying, “That’s easy for you to say. Harvey was always easier to read.”

   “What are you talking about,” I ask while slightly embarrassed. I know Harvey likes me but she didn’t have to say it like that. Before Jinx can say something, someone stands in front of us.

  “You girls should start getting dressed. The ball starts in an hour,” Scarlett says. I nod but am secretly looking her over. There are dark circles under her eyes and based on my time with Lita, a few cut marks on her arms. Poor Lita. I hope things are better with her in America. I made Piper promise to take care of her. What’s going on with Scarlett?

 “We’ll start. Thanks,” Jinx says. Scarlett seems surprised that Jinx is polite. I’m even surprised that she’s polite. Jinx stands up while wiping away tears before glaring at Scarlett.

  “I answered you now scram,” Jinx says. Now things are back to normal. Scarlett walks away with an eye roll and I giggle. I have four hours until I can either make or break this mission. Alexi please be useful for something.

**********************

  “No! This is enough!” I exclaim. A few maids step back and I sigh in relief. If I’m touched by another stranger I will rip their fingers from their hands. I just feel like a teased dog that’s ready to kill. Jinx is in the chair next to me and cursing.

  “Are you trying to rip all of my bloody hair? Do better,” Jinx demands. The maid has about a brush full of Jinx’s hair and the maid is crying. Poor thing. Jinx has been nothing short of unpleasant and I think that’s because she’s nervous about seeing Kain.

   “I’m so sorry miss. I’m just under a lot of pressure. I’ll be done in a second,” she says while picking up the hairspray. I look in the mirror and have to admit that I look gorgeous. It’s just so much more than I’m used to.

   My skin looks like its glowing and my lips are a deep red. My cheeks are lightly touched with blush and I have a smoky eye shadow. My hair is in a nice French twist with two loose curls on the side of my face. I look beautiful but I have a feeling CeeCee would have a fit if she knew she couldn’t do my makeup. I stand up and carefully walk to the full length mirror.

    I gasp at the sight. Is this really me? I’m wearing a yellow, strapless ball gown. The bodice is tight but makes me look like I have an amazing figure. I turn to the side and admire the slanted tiers on my skirt. I touch my pearl string necklace and make sure I have both tear drop pearl earrings in.

  “Don’t we look great?! It only took us two hours to get this way,” Jinx says with excitement in her eyes. Jinx’s hair is in loose spiral curls all over and her makeup is lighter than mine. Jinx bends over in her blue and black ball gown.

   Her dress has a sweetheart neckline but the top of the bust is black. Black lace in a somewhat circular formation falls around the front of the bodice. Underneath the lace and the skirt of the dress is a beautiful blue fabric. Small beads of black cover the skirt and it’s a really breath taking dress.

  “We look amazing. Ready to go out there,” I ask while grabbing my card. It has a bit of information on it but I’m not sure what it’s used for.

    Jinx nods and the two of us quickly thank the maids who were helping us before running out of the room. Well we’re running as fast as we can while in heels. Let me just say that heels are not comfy. I’d take my boots any day. When we reach a large pair of double doors, Jinx and I are breathing hard.

  “Running wasn’t…the smartest idea,” I say. Jinx nods in agreement before standing up straight.

  “We can do this. They just call your name, we walk down the staircase, and enter,” she says but I’m in shock. Why didn’t anyone tell me this? Jinx notices my shock before cursing. “I forgot you don’t remember this. Basically you walk down the stairs with your head high, but not to high so everyone can look up your nose, and once you reach the bottom, go to your right. I’m not sure why but that’s just what you do. Remember to hold the right side of your dress in your hand. Got that,” she asks. I shake my head no and Jinx laughs.

  “You’ll be fine. Let’s go,” Jinx says. She opens the double doors and the music softens. Jinx hands a card to the man and I watch him take a deep breath.

  “Ms. Jenna Eliza Anastasia Moore, daughter of Mr. Tyler Christopher Moore and Mrs. Elizabeth Margret Catherine Giles-Moore, also known as Jinx.” I don’t have to see Jinx’s face to know that she’s smiling and I watch her descend the staircase. A few people clap politely and the music dies down as I release my card. Why did they stop playing? When I look up, I notice that all eyes are on me. Did I do something wrong already?  

  “Ms. Emma Julianna Smith, daughter of Mr. Gregory L. Smith and Mrs. Annelle Delilah Smith.”

     I smile at the crowd before walking down the stairs one step at a time. I don’t want to trip. I scan the room and some of the girls’ noses are scrunched up. Does something smell or is something wrong with me? I resist the urge to give myself a whiff and finally reach the bottom.

  “May I,” someone asks to my right. I look over and see Harvey extending his hand. I take his hand and he smirks. I look around discreetly and notice that everyone is staring. Why?  

  “Curtsey,” Harvey whispers. Oh. How do I do that? I bend my knees quickly and Harvey brings m hand to his lips. A few people clap before the music begins.  I’m glad the pressure is off now. I look at my hand still in Harvey’s as he leads me somewhere.

  “Where are we going,” I ask. Harvey stops to put one arm around my waist.

     I pick the hem of my dress up with my free hand as Harvey says simply, “To dance.”

     I look at Harvey as if he’s lost his mind but notice that Harvey is very serious. He makes me move with him and it’s just a few simple steps. Harvey’s eyes never leave mine and I’m sure that I’m blushing. How can I not be? Harvey just has a certain something about him.

  “You were late,” Harvey says plainly. He doesn’t seem mad so why do I feel guilty?

   “I’m sorry,” I say as Harvey pulls me closer to him.

  “Don’t be. You look beautiful as I knew you would. The wait was worth it.” I blush at his words and look away. I notice that a group of girls are looking at me and Harvey and that bothers me. I can’t bring this much attention to myself.

  “Why are they staring,” I ask. What if I have a wedgie?

  “Because they want to be you, pet,” he says. When I look up, Harvey’s looking down at me with a smirk. I smile back at him before spotting Ranger dancing with someone to my right. Ranger and I lock eyes for what seems like a millisecond before we drift back into our roles, our assignments.

     I can see Lexie flirting with Zayne and often touching her necklace. I see Riley dancing with Ruby and Grace is standing in the back alone while scanning the room. Everyone’s accounted for so why do I feel so alone? Why do I feel like I can make or break this mission? Maybe it’s just because this is my first mission. Things will be better with time, right?

    I notice the dance is over when Harvey touches my cheek and says, “Want to dance again?”

    Before I can say yes or no, an older man and woman approach us. They look strong but timid at the same time. I assume that they’re husband and wife based on the rings on their left hand and the way the woman has her arm around the man’s arm.

     I notice Harvey stand up straight before the man clears his throat and says, “Nice surprise,  right son?”

********************************

Okay I had to make this chapter interesting somehow so I decided to keep writing till this point. Lol! It was going to end a while ago but I just wasn’t happy. I’m a little more pleased with this. I hope yall enjoy it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 580 19
Everything that Eve touches dies: people, dreams, relationships. If Eve comes near it, it comes to ruin. Life wasn't supposed to be this way though...
1.7K 52 15
What would you do when you wake up on your birthday to find your parents gone? Midnight didn't know how to react. Men came for her and she listened t...
1.1K 183 23
What would you do if you were married for 30 years and on your 30th wedding anniversary your husband up and leaves? He never gave you a reason as to...
594K 29.4K 68
ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴜᴄɪᴜs. ʟᴜᴄɪᴜs ᴀɴᴅ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ. Two inseparable best friends. A bond so beautiful that nothing could've broken them apart. But it all changed 𝘵�...