𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐬 𝐟𝐥𝐲 | q. fabr...

By mayasbitxh

in which the sassy younger hummel and the perfect cheerleader find love in a way they never thought they woul... More

cast
Pilot
Showmance
Acafellas
Preggers
The Rhodes Not Taken
Vitamin D
Throwdown
Mash-Up
Wheels
Ballad
Mattresses
Sectionals
The Power Of Madonna
Home
Bad Reputation
Theatricality
Journey To Regionals
season two cast
Audition
Britney/Brittany
Grilled Cheesus
Duets
Never Been Kissed
The Substitute
Furt
Special Education
The Sue Sylvester Shuffle
Silly Love Songs
Comeback
Blame It On The Alcohol
Sexy
Original Song
Born This Way
Rumors
Prom Queen
New York
season three cast
The Purple Piano Project
I Am Unicorn
Asian F
Pot O Gold
The First Time
Mash Off
I Kissed A Girl
Hold On To Sixteen
What If...?
Michael
Heart
On My Way
Big Brother
Dance With Somebody
Choke
Prom-asaurus
Nationals
Goodbye
season four cast
Britney 2.0
Makeover
The Break Up
The Role You Were Born To Play
Gleathers
Dynamic Duets
Thanksgiving
Swan Song
Sadie Hawkins
Diva
I Do
Girls (and Boys) on Film
Guilty Pleasures
Shooting Star
Loss of Innocence
All or Nothing
season 5a cast
Love, Love, Love
Tina in the Sky with Diamonds
A Katy or a Gaga
Trio
City of Angels
100
New Directions
season 5b cast
Welcome To New York
Family Dynamic
Bash
Get It Right
You Are In Love
Opening Night
The Back-Up Plan
Old Dog, New Tricks
The Untitled Rachel Berry Project
season six cast
Homecoming
Jagged Little Tapestry
A Wedding
Dreams Come True
thank you

The New Rachel

1.6K 67 39
By mayasbitxh

Adalynn Hummel walked into William McKinley High School on the first day of senior year feeling like she was on top of the world. She wasn't going to lie, the first few weeks of summer break were hard with Quinn moving and Finn joining the army a month later, but life couldn't be any better.

The New Directions had one nationals, skyrocketing their popularity. Adalynn's mental health had improved after spending the summer in and out of therapy sessions - and she was a little embarrassed to admit she was actually going to miss them.

"Miss Hummel!"

"Go away, Jacob," Adalynn bit, sending the gossip blogger a glare over her shoulder as she approached her locker.

"I have a few questions," Jacob said, holding the microphone out to her.

"Make it quick," the brunette said as she put her belongings away.

"Is it true that a week after Quinn left you behind to go to New Haven, a certain brunette slid into your Insta DMs and asked you if you wanted to... 'hang.'"

Adalynn clenched her jaw and slammed her locker shut before turning to stare at Jacob, shooting daggers into his skull.

"A little birdie told me that Marjorie is just like the saying, 'Sweet on the streets, sexy in the sheets,'" Jacob smirked.

"I'm not cheating on my girlfriend with that thing," Adalynn snapped before turning on her heal and storming down the hall.

As Jacob made a move to follow her, he spotted Tina Cohen-Chang and decided to bother her instead.

"Miss Cohen-Chang, what are you thinking at this very moment?" the Jewish boy asked as he shoved a microphone in the brunette's face.

"I never thought I'd have a freshman for a personal assistant," Tina grumbled as she turned to Dottie. "This isn't organic," she scoffed, throwing the banana she handed her down to the ground.

"Um... okay, uh, is it true that you broke up with Mike Chang a week after tattooing 'Mike Chang 4ever' on your hip because the long distance thing was too hard?" Jacob asked as he followed Tina down the hall.

"Um, yeah," Tina sighed, turning to face Jacob. "I still love him, and we're still friends, and I changed the tattoo to 'Make Change 4ever.' Change is good."

Tina walked away from Jacob and headed to the choir room. As soon as she walked in, Adalynn and Bailey jumped up from where they were sitting on the floor with the twins and went to hug her.

"Titi!" Maya exclaimed as she stood up and ran over to her.

"Hi, sweetie!" Tina smiled, bending down to pick the older twin up after sharing a quick hug with her best friends. "Did you have a good summer?"

"Yeah."

"Titi, look," Ava said, pointing to where Julian was sitting at the piano. "Daddy here."

"What's Julian doing here?" Tina asked.

"Apparently he's interning for Mr. Pedo or something," Adalynn shrugged as she picked up Ava. "We don't like him, do we, Little Ada?"

"No Shoe," Ava whined, hiding her face in Adalynn's chest. "Me no like Shoe."

"Yeah, I don't like him either," Adalynn chuckled, placing a kiss to the younger twin's cheek.

"Face it," Jacob said as he came into the choir room and approached the group of teens. "Rachel Berry was the group's undisputed star, so, really, the only question is, which one of you is the new Rachel?"

Adalynn smiled and tossed her hair over her shoulder.

"I am," she beamed, frowning when Blaine and Brittany said it at the same time as her.

The three stared at each other as Tina and Bailey exchanged an uncomfortable look with Artie.

This was not a good way to start the year.

****

"Glee!" Mr. Schue exclaimed as he came into the room.

"Pedooo!" Ava yelled over the cheering.

"That's my girl," Adalynn chuckled, tickling the baby's stomach.

"We are coming off a national championship, but it's time to look forward," said Mr. Schue. "And thanks to Glee now being the coolest club in school. This shouldn't be a problem. Yes, we lost some big voices. But we still have some huge ones in here. I promise to do everything to replace the ones that we lost. Now, let's get down to business. First, give it up for New Direction's alum, Julian Hummel, who will be a peer mentor to you guys this year."

Everyone clapped as Julian smiled and waved at the class.

"Next, I'd like to introduce you to our newest member," Mr. Schue continued. "The MVP of last year's nationals, Wade 'Unique' Adams."

"That's a great haircut, Mercedes," Brittany smiled as Unique came into the room. "I thought you graduated."

"I wanted to be someplace where different was celebrated," said Unique.

"We are so excited to have you," Mr. Schue said as the club clapped dryly. "Guys, where's the love?"

"I think Wade is great, but the competition to be the new Rachel is already so intense," said Blaine. "The last thing we need is one more contender."

"The new Rachel?"

"Every glee club needs a star performer," said Adalynn. "Rachel was that, and now that she's gone, many of us want the job."

"Okay, we don't win with stars," said Mr. Schue. "We win as a team. One that supports new members. Now I don't want to hear any more of this 'new Rachel' stuff, okay? Have a seat, Wade."

Adalynn exchanged a look with Brittany beside her as Unique sat down in the empty seat next to Blaine.

"Make no mistake. Unique will be the new Rachel."

"We decide this on our own then, Thunderdome style," Blaine said as Adalynn and Brittany leaned forward. "Five o'clock in the auditorium."

****

That evening, Adalynn, Brittany, Blaine, Unique, and Artie all met in the auditorium. The five teenagers stood together on the stage, and Adalynn pursed her lips together, her usual annoyed expression plastered on her face.

"So here are the rules," she began. "We perform the song for Artie, he makes his choice, we go to Mr. Schue as a group and we tell him who the new lead soloist is."

"Though I am uncomfortable doing this behind Mr. Schue's back, I am a director," said Artie. "Therefore, I never pass up on an opportunity to judge people."

"What song are we singing?" Unique asked.

"What Rachel would sing if she were here," said Adalynn. "The song of the summer, Call Me Maybe. Does anyone need time to prepare?"

"I can sing any song, any time," said Unique. "Just press play and get back."

****

Adalynn layed on her bed, hugging Oreo close to her chest as he slept. She tapped her phone, which sat lifeless on the bed in front of her, and sighed sadly when she still had no new messages from Quinn.

I'm sure she's just busy.

Yeah, too busy for us.

No, Adalynn, don't go there.

She doesn't have time for us anymore.

Adalynn Emilia-

She's gonna forget about us.

"Please just shut up," Adalynn whispered, closing her eyes and shutting them tight to fight the tears. "Please, shut up, please."

She hugged the sleeping frenchie closer to her and kissed the top of his head.

She'll call soon.

She promised she would.

She'll call soon.

****

It was the day of Glee Club auditions, and Marjorie Montgomery stood backstage with her cousin as they waited for their names to be called.

She wasn't nervous. She doesn't get nervous. She knew for a fact that both she and Marley were going to nail their auditions.

"Marley Rose."

"Break a leg, little cuz," Jori said, hugging the younger girl before she went out on stage.

Marley took a deep breath before speaking into the microphone. "Hello, my name is Marley Rose, and I will be singing New York State Of Mind, written by Billy Joel."

Brad began to play the song on the piano, and Marley began singing. Her melodic voice impressed the Glee Club, and the twins stopped their quiet babbling to one another to listen.

The New Directions clapped as Marley finished, and she smiled before walking off stage.

"Now that's what I call star quality," Julian said as he wrote some notes down. "Alright, who's next?" he wondered aloud as he looked down at the audition sheet. "Marjorie Montgomery."

Marley smiled at her cousin as she went out on stage, her head held high as she stepped up to the mic with confidence.

"Hi, my name is Jori Montgomery, and I will be singing The Other Woman by Lana Del Rey."

Adalynn picked at the chipped black nail polish on her fingers to avoid Jori's gaze. Her hauntingly beautiful voice filled the entire auditorium, sending a chill down Bailey's spine.

"Oh, wooow," Maya breathed, eyes wide as the senior's voice echoed in her ears.

Ava grunted and turned to hide her head in Adalynn's chest. "Ada, no more," she whined.

"Shh, the song's almost over, sweetie," the brunette said as she held the baby close to her.

"Beautiful, Jori," Julian said into the mic as the song ended and everyone clapped. "We'll let you know."

****

The New Directions walked into the choir room where Kurt was coating the floor with sheet music.

"Kurt, what in heterosexual hell did you do to our floor?" Adalynn asked, furrowing her brows.

"I'm organizing all the sheet music," Kurt said as Artie wheeled in. "Artie, go around it, not over it."

"MVP in the house," Unique announced as she came into the choir room in a dress, high heels, a wig, and a face full of make-up.

"I thought we agreed you'd only wear that stuff on stage," Joe frowned.

"Shut up, Joe," Bailey said, shooting the younger boy a look before turning to Unique and smiling. "You look awesome."

"Thanks, girl," Unique beamed, winking at the blonde.

"What's wrong with you guys?" Kurt asked. "This club is about diversity and acceptance. Or at least it used to be. And another thing, since when did everyone become so obsessed about who's the biggest star?"

"Since day one," Adalynn scoffed. "You and Rachel fought over solos for three years."

"No more stalling, Artie," said Blaine. "Who's the new Rachel?"

"Yeah, who is it?" Sugar asked.

"Tell us," Brittany said, crossing her arms.

"After meticulous deliberation and an online poll, the new Rachel is..." Artie said, pausing for dramatic effect. "Blaine."

"How?" Brittany scoffed.

"Adalynn, you were a close second," Artie added.

"I came in third?" Brittany asked.

"Let's not worry about third or fourth place."

"Why do you hate strong black women?" Unique asked.

"Guys, these young ladies gave hands down two of the best auditions I've ever seen," Mr. Schue said as he came into the choir room with Marley and Jori. "Let's give it up for our newest members, Marley Rose and Jori Montgomery."

"Marley, Jori, on behalf of all the New Directions, welcome," Blaine said as everyone clapped.

"Thank you," Marley smiled. "We're both really excited to be here."

"I really like your sweater," said Sugar. "Where'd you get it?"

"Um, J.Crew."

"Really?" Sugar asked, furrowing her brows.

"It was mine, and I gave it to her," Jori said, sensing her cousin's uncomfort.

"Alright, let's get started," Mr. Schue said, clapping his hands together.

****

Adalynn felt tears filling her eyes as the car pulled up to the airport. Kurt was moving to New York, and the last thing she wanted to do was say goodbye.

"Alright," said Burt. "As soon as you find a place to live I'll ship you the rest of your stuff. You've got enough cash from selling your car to get you through at least two weeks in a hotel. And the emergency credit card, which is only for what?"

"Emergencies," said Kurt. "Dad, this is silly. I don't have to be in New York to reapply for NYADA. So I can find a job that pays me the same as the Lima Bean but pay 10 times more in rent?"

"Because it's an adventure," Burt said, unbuckling his seat belt so he could face his son. "Look, all the great artists need a little struggle in their lives."

"Yeah, Kurt," said Adalynn. "Julia Roberts sold shoes in New York before she made it."

"Good enough for Pretty Woman, good enough for Kurt Hummel," said Burt.

Kurt sighed as he turned to look out the car window.

"Are you scared?" Adalynn asked.

"Terrified," Kurt admitted.

"New York is gonna be a breeze compared to Lima," said Burt. "Think about all the crap you've been putting up with the last couple years. You know the difference between this place and New York?"

"Decent bagels?"

"New York is filled with people like you. People who aren't afraid to be different. You're gonna feel at home there. If you're not scared, it just means you're not sticking your neck out far enough."

"You truly are the world's greatest dad," Kurt said with tears in his eyes.

"I know. It's written on the coffee mug you and Adalynn got me for Father's Day," said Burt. "Now get out of here. You're gonna miss your flight."

Kurt unbuckled his seat and gave Burt a hug. "I'm gonna miss you, Dad."

"You can always come back," he said as they pulled out of the hug. "But you won't," he added under his breath as Kurt got out of the car.

Adalynn sniffled as she got out of the car to hug her brother. He held her closely and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

"I'm gonna miss you so much, Kurtie," Adalynn said, her voice breaking.

"I'm gonna miss you too, Little Me," Kurt said as they pulled out of the hug and wiped a tear off her cheek. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," the younger girl sniffled. "Say hi to the illiterate diva for me."

"I will," Kurt chuckled.

The two siblings hugged one more time before Adalynn got into the passenger side door.

"I love you guys," Kurt said one final time.

"I love you too, Kurt," said Burt.

"I love you too, Kurtie," Adalynn sniffled, forcing a smile as her brother turned and walked away. Tears fell down her cheeks as she watched him leave. She always knew the day would come, but she never thought it would get here so fast.

Kurt stopped at the door of the airport and turned around. He smiled at his dad and sister and waved goodbye.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.9K 996 18
AU: Punk!Quinn and G!P Quinn with Cheerio!Rachel. Beginning Sophomore year at McKinley, Rachel has a very decent, normal life until she meets Quinn F...
34.9K 652 43
Quinn Fabray x Male OC
23.7K 1.3K 15
In where two girls hold a secret that comes back to bite them in the ass. Only to leave their hearts singing. Quinn Fabray x G!P OC Season 1-? I do...
7.3K 391 12
in which the quiet writer with the soft voice cares about the former cheerio who has never had anyone really care before. 2023 Best Quinn Fic Honorab...