The Woman at The End of The W...

By VRLove7

Vanessa Taylor, a sassy blue haired, tattooed cosmetologist with a mouth of a sailor was born and raised in O... More

authors note
prologue.
new message.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twentyone.
twentytwo.
twentythree.
twentyfour.
twentyfive.
twentysix.
twentyseven.
twentyeight.
twentynine.
thirty.
thirtyone.
thirtytwo.
intermission.
thirtythree.
thirtyfour.
thirtyfive.
thirtysix.
thirtyseven.
thirtyeight.
thirtynine.
forty.
fortyone.
fortytwo.
fortythree.
fortyfour.
fortyfive.
fortysix.
fortyseven.
fortyeight.
fortynine.
fifty.
fiftyone.
fiftytwo.
fiftythree.
fiftyfour.
fiftyfive.
fiftysix.
fiftyseven.
fiftyeight.
fiftynine.
sixty.
sixtyone.
sixtytwo.
sixtythree.
sixtyfour.
intermission 2.0
sixtyfive.
sixtysix.
sixtyseven.
sixtyeight.
sixtynine.
seventy.
seventyone.
seventytwo.
seventythree.
seventyfour.
seventyfive.
seventysix.
seventyseven.
seventyeight.
seventynine.
eighty.
eightyone.
eightytwo.
eightythree
eightyfour.
eightyfive.
eightysix.
eightyseven.
eightynine.
ninety.
ninetyone.
ninetytwo.
ninetythree.
ninetyfour.
ninetyfive.
ninetysix.
ninetyseven.
ninetyeight.
ninetynine.
intermission 3.0
onehundred.
onehundredone.
onehundredtwo.
onehundredthree.
onehundredfour.
onehundredfive.
onehundredsix.
onehundredseven.
onehundredeight.
onehundrednine.

eightyeight.

319 9 2
By VRLove7

"Eugene, are you in there?" Aaron's shout bounces off the walls inside the barn, though it's lost in the chaos of the storm.

We spent the last several hours canvassing the area, searching for the barn Rosita had described to Jesus and Aaron. Now inside the barn, I peer out the window, keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary, while the three in my company search for Eugene, feeling a knot grow inside my stomach. Something big is about to happen. I tap my fingers on the wood, trying to fight the anxiety from eating me alive. I haven't slept in over twenty four hours; I'm exhausted. But something tells me that my night is far from over.

"Affirmative." I let out a sigh of relief at the faint sound of Eugene's voice. Thank fucking god.

I raise my hand, gesturing for everyone to shut up. After I replay the tone over and over in my mind, I point to the hay. I race over, clearing with the hay with Jesus and Aaron at my side; after several long minutes, a hatch is revealed. Aaron and I grip the wood, pulling it up; a shivering, trembling Eugene glances in our direction; a small spark of hope in his eyes.

"Give me your hand, mullet man," I demand albeit lighthearted, trying to soothe the fear that's very obviously eating away at him. What the hell happened to him and Rosita?

Eugene sputters, eyes searching my masked face, "Vanessa?" It's very rare to render our real life Sheldon Cooper speechless, but I think I've done just that. "But, you've been pronounced deceased..." Okay, that moment didn't last very long.

"Yes, it's me, I had to come save my favorite genius when I heard he was in danger." I tease, feeling his fingers wrap around my arm after passing off his weapons to Jesus. Aaron grabs his clothes, helping him return to ground level. "Let's get you out of here, and take you home."

"Yes, ma'am," Eugene offers, eyes wide with fear.

He comes to sit beside me, taking a moment to rest. I quickly scrutinize him, growing worried the more I take in every small fear induced tick. This isn't the cowardly Eugene I knew; this is telling me that he is clearly fucking traumatized. I have a thousand questions racing through my mind; but the biggest one is what the hell fucking happened? It's not hard to throw our genius off his game, but Rosita? Something fucking big happened.

"No. We have to get out of here." Eugene panics, dragging me out of my inner monologue. "The herd that followed us here is on its way back."

"I saw their tracks. They're gone." Daryl shakes his head; but I snap my neck in Eugene's direction, feeling the unease dance across my flesh.

"No, it's not. It's already been through here twice. It's looking for me. We have to get away before it comes back. This wasn't a normal herd." Eugene growing in alarm, trembling in terror.

"What do you mean?" I question carefully.

Eugene faces me, swallowing hard, "when... When they passed us by, we could hear them. They were... They were whispering to each other."

"You mean they were talking?" Aaron inquires.

"Shit." I swear under my breath, interrupting Eugene from answering Aaron's loaded question. I send an apologetic look in his direction. "When Rosita called me on the radio she said something about hearing them talk and that I needed to get to Hilltop to warn you guys. But, she didn't sound like herself. That's why we came running." I glance up, locking my gaze with Aaron, Jesus, and Daryl. "She was more terrified than I ever heard her." Dog barks in warning, startling the man next to me. I stand up, glancing out the window, staying out of sight of whoever or whatever is concerning the canine, feeling the pit in my stomach grow wider. Eugene's quiet wails dance on the air around me. I pull my swords out of its sheath, returning my concerned gaze to Daryl at the sight of the walkers advancing on the barn.

"There's no way that's the same herd." Daryl's gruff tone filled with disbelief.

Aaron groans, "they got us cut off." Jesus and Aaron help Eugene stand, with Daryl clearing a path ahead of them.  I spin the swords in my hands, taking up the rear like old times. I came here to bring him home, I'll be damned if he goes down over this herd that just won't leave the poor man alone.

We quickly put as much distance between ourselves and the herd hunting us down like prey. Now finding ourselves at a crossroads, I peer up at the sky; storm billowing and crashing around us - it's like Mother Nature herself is telling us to get out of here as fast as we can. This night is far from over.

I close my eyes for a moment; of course as soon as I return to the fold, everything hits the fucking wall. Maybe I'm fucking cursed. However, I hope this is a one time thing; but I can't make myself and soul believe it.

I crack my eyes open at the sound of the raised voices around me, dragging me back to the current problem. "It doesn't make any sense." Jesus shakes his head, "they shouldn't have doubled back like that, and they definitely shouldn't have followed us all the way to the barn."

"I do have a theory to posit. The walkers are evolving." Eugene breaths out.

"Oh, that's bullshit." Daryl snarls.

"Now hold on Daryl; it's a sound theory." I raise my hand, giving him my full attention for the first time. He takes a step back, watching me carefully, caught off guard by my actions. "I had a similar thought when we saw the herd for the first time. Crazier things have happened; you know, like the dead walking around. We've been evolving for thousands of years for survival; why wouldn't they?"

"They're dead, they're not evolving." Jesus points out, trying to make sense of our current situation.

"Thank you, Vanessa." Eugene offers, facing Jesus and Daryl, "being dead hasn't exactly stopped them from perambulating ad infinitum, though, has it? They're not dead in any sense that makes sense. It takes an impact to the cranium to stop them, which means the brain is alive, degraded as it may be. And if it's alive, it can change. Maybe even start to remember things, too, like how to talk."

Daryl cocks his head "what?" I chuckle at his reaction. No one has ever accused me to being serious in dire moments. It helps break the tension while everyone else is losing their shit. At least that part of me hasn't changed.

"It's not any crazier than the dead being alive in the first place. If they can learn to talk, maybe they can learn strategy and how to hunt." Jesus finally seeing what Eugene was trying to say.

Aaron chooses that moment to barrel out of the woods, meeting the rest of us at the crossroads. "They're right on our asses. We've gotta get to the horses fast."

Eugene panics, returning to wailing, "you have to leave me behind. I'm slowing you down and tiring you out. Every time we stop, the dead get closer."

"No," I snarl, rounding on him, red beginning to dance into my vision. I feel the person I became and buried after Owen stir at the anger setting my soul and flesh ablaze. Swords still tight within my grasp.  "I came out of hiding to drag your ass back. We're not going home without you."

"You don't have a choice." Eugene argues.

I raise my chin, staring down the bullet maker. "Actually, I did, and I made it. Now, stop your whining; find those fucking balls of steel you must have and let's fucking go!"

"She's right. It's not your call." Jesus stops next to me. I drag my focus to him, meeting his knowing eyes. Stay calm, Lilith. I nod, understanding the silent conversation between us. After helping me regain control over the anger, he returns his attention to Daryl and Aaron. "The numbers actually work for us. We can split up. You two get him back to the horses. Vanessa and I'll wait for the herd to get here, then we'll draw them off in the other direction. Then we'll ditch them and meet you back at the Hilltop."

"We're stronger together." Aaron shakes his head, eyes still peering between myself and Jesus.

"Nah, you ain't lettin' my wife be a sittin' duck. We just got her back." Daryl growls, baring his teeth at Jesus.

I gasp in disbelief, rounding on Daryl, narrowing my eyes, feeling the world spin from under my feet, scoffing. "Your wife?" I quietly sneer, "you're a fucking lunatic." I shake my head in frustration, opting to stand next to Eugene, turning my back on the redneck. Before he's out of my sight, I spot Daryl's mouth twitch and click at my sudden intense confrontation.

"Now isn't the time," Jesus warns. "That doesn't help us. Our only way out of this is to avoid a fight."

"No. If anyone stays, it's gonna be me." Daryl orders, tone filled with finality.

"Jesus, I'll stay with Daryl, even the playing field." I offer; surprised by my own willingness to stay behind with the man that left me to die. But it would be a smart play; nobody said the buddy system was stupid.

"Are you sure? Jesus asks carefully; I nod. "Okay, Go!" I observe for a moment as he and Aaron help Eugene stand, supporting his body between the two men. I close my eyes, hoping I'll see them again, soon. The bad feeling has returned, causing nausea to temporary blind me for a moment.

"Hell, we'll probably beat ya back." Daryl shouts,  "come here boy." He beckons to his canine companion. I spin on my heels, stalking after Daryl. I realize, it feels like the old times when we would take runs together at the prison. It's almost like we fell back into old times. Though, I'm still angry and broken. I don't regret my actions.

We wait for the herd from atop of a broken down trailer. We've descended into a tense, thick silence between us. I sit on my knees, fiddling my fingers anxiously. I straighten my torso as the herd finally stumbles into view; I swallow hard, knowing this group of walkers is something we haven't truly encountered before, but we're going to try and pull some old tricks in hopes it'll work.

Show time! Daryl lights the fire crackers, tossing them onto the ground.

POP!

POP!

POP!

I close my eyes, and covering my ears, rocking back and forth, trying to catch my breath as images of Owen overwhelm me, feeling my throat close on me. Not for the first time, my mind forces me to watch him kill my father over again. I'm forced to relive the beatings. For a moment, I'm thrust into the past.

A strong hand intertwines my finger with theirs, "Vanessa, I need ya to come back. Now isn't the time." Daryl's gruff voices drags me back to the here and now. I crack my eyes open, feeling tears paint my cheeks. His sad gaze meets mine as I attempt to slow my heartbeat.

"Sorry," I grumble, pulling away from him. I wipe the feel of his flesh against my gloved hand off on my pants. I drag my attention back to herd, observing as they veer away from the distractions of the fire crackers and dog's bark echoing on the air. "What the hell? Shit, they are after Jesus and Aaron!" I jump off the trailer, running after the dead.

"Vanessa!" He bellows after me. "Not this runnin' into shit blind, again."

I hear Daryl's foot falls follow me into the woods. I run along side the herd, staying out of their sight. Minutes later, I make it to the graveyard. I stumble, watching in horror as Jesus falls to the ground limp. NO! Without hesitating, I toss one of my throwing knives, observing it lodge in the walkers head. How the hell did a walker kill my friend without chowing down on him? What the fuck is going on? I swear I saw the corpse thrust a blade into his back, but I am currently sleep deprived. Can I really trust my own eyes? This has nothing to do with fucking evolution. One plus one shouldn't add up to three or four. I don't like what I'm seeing with my own eyes. I jump over the gate to the foggy graveyard, running through the head stones, dragging my swords from my back.

I spot Michonne fighting with two unknown female figures at her side. I ignore them, swinging my swords in a blind rage, allowing the monster to come out and play, taking every walker dumb enough to fall into my path.

I smirk, watching a walker try to brandish a knife in my direction. I dance around it, leaping off of a headstone backwards, twisting my body in midair, dragging my swords down, slicing the head from it's shoulders. I land on my knees effortlessly. Without glancing up, I thrust my blades upwards, hearing it break through flesh and blood. I lock eyes with Michonne as I pull my weapons out of the muscle and bones. The sound of the body lands with a thud next to me. I don't bother casting my attention on it.

I pant, dragging myself back to my feet; I peer around, relieved that we took out every walker that was an immediate threat. I pull my attention to Jesus' body, swallowing the sob that's hitching in my throat. I take three short strides, looking down at him, letting the anger grip its claws into my flesh.

Why him? He didn't deserve to die like this. I came back to save someone; I didn't come back to bury someone else. I'm so fucking sick of losing people. Aaron glances up at me, I nod sadly, unsure how to reassure the broken man. We shouldn't have fucking separated. We should've stayed together. If I wasn't so angry with Daryl, and partly Eugene, I would've realized that plan held several holes.

"Aye come here," I glance over, watching Daryl signal for myself and Michonne. Sighing, I stalk over, planting myself next to the darker woman, observing Daryl remove something on the back of the corpse's head. I cock my head, surveying as he slices the stitches, removing the flesh... revealing someone very recently dead. The fuck?

"These walkers," Michonne expresses, locking eyes with Daryl, "what are they?" That's a good fucking question. Her gaze finds me, narrowing her eyes. Right, I'm pretty much covered head to toe. She has no idea who I am. But that's another problem for another time.

Ignoring the ladder, I click my tongue against my teeth in thought. "So, they are humans... wearing masks?" That's absolutely disgusting and unhygienic.  What about the stench of the rot? My face sours at that conclusion. And to think, I thought Owen was fucked up. "What the hell did we just stumble into?" I breathe out.

"They're trapped."

"Circle round."

"Don't let them slip by"

"You die now."

Daryl's gaze meets mine as the whispers dance on the air around our group. I spin the swords in my hands, grinning. "Awe, looks like they want a round two. Come play, motherfuckers." I growl in the air. I gesture for the people around me, watching Aaron grapple with Jesus' body, "get out of here, I'll keep them at bay."

"Blue -"

I round on him, narrowing my eyes, "I said go," I snarl, interrupting the redneck. He swallows hard, growing rigid. I know it's the monster inside of me staring back at him; a side of me he has never met. A side that wasn't formed until Owen got his hands on me. I'm not the woman he married a long time ago. She's dead.

Michonne steps beside me, nodding, knowing gaze meeting mine, raising her katana. "I'll stay with her, go!" She waves them back before turning back to me, "welcome back, Vanessa."

We dance around each other for several minutes, cutting down the walkers and the humans that walk among them. I keep my eyes peeled for any of them holding blades. I swing over and over, feeling blood rain against my frame.

"Come on! Let's go!" Daryl calls out. I peer over my shoulder, relaxing at the sight of everyone on the other side of the gate. I return my attention to Michonne, gesturing for her to go first as I follow close behind. As my feet cross the threshold, Daryl locks the gate behind me. I narrow my eyes at the walkers, raising my chin. Something tells me this is the only the beginning of something big.

(A/N - enjoy the the double update. My gift to you all for the holiday season. I probably won't update until after the first of the new year, but get the tissues ready when I return. I have some big plans for Blue!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.1K 2.3K 52
it's a π—•π—Ÿπ—¨π—˜ π—ͺ𝗒π—₯π—Ÿπ—— without you, it's a π—•π—Ÿπ—¨π—˜ π—ͺ𝗒π—₯π—Ÿπ—— alone β—¦β€’β—¦ season 6 multiple ocs / love interests BOOK ONE *slow updates* β—¦β€’β—¦ WARNI...
191K 5.4K 49
Carol glanced back and her heart stopped when she saw the scars crisscrossing her back and her unevenly healed ribs making her torso lumped in a few...
240K 5.2K 96
(Currently under rewriting so certain parts of the story may not make sense.) "My name is Lydia Nicole Dixon I grew up in the state of Atlanta with m...
329 2 12
Amira never expected for the world to end, let alone for the dead to rise up and start eating people alive. How will she and her family navigate the...