Soul Bound

Por H_Hobbs

Book 1 || Soul Bound series || WILL BE DELETED IN JULY. CHECK OUT THE NEW VERSION ON MY PAGE! When Eva Greene... Más

⚠️DELETION NOTICE⚠️
Map
Author's notes
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 5

1K 71 6
Por H_Hobbs

It had been a couple of days since we had started to rebuild Brar. Dad was working overtime with Hiron and the wagon, travelling to Riverwood and back with supplies. He should be returning from his second trip later today. In anticipation of his return, I wanted to go hunting, bring something big back to uplift everyone's spirits.

Erika glared at me while I twisted my hair into a knot at the base of my neck. I returned the favour. Like I was going to let a six year old be the judge of me. I couldn't stay cooped up in this broken house any longer. While I lay in bed "recovering from my wounds," everyone out there was working dawn to dusk to put the village back in order. I wanted to do my part. I wasn't a weaver or a farmer and certainly not a builder--but I could hunt. That was my thing. I wouldn't let anyone take that away from me. 

"Mom says you're not allowed to hunt until you feel better," Erika reminded me, still giving me that disapproving look. Her fair hair fell over her eyes and she frantically brushed it aside, trying to keep her scolding demeanor. But she had lost. She just looked like an adorable little kid. To make matters worse, I ruffled her head.

"I'll be fine, kiddo."

Before I could leave the room with my bow, Erika screamed for Mom, ratting me out in one big breath. I froze in the middle of the hallway, taking in a deep, slow breath, fighting all urges to chase my little sister around the house like a banshee for ruining my escape plans. Chasing her would only get me into more trouble. 

Mom was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. She batted her flour-ridden apron, standing tall as she did so. "Eva, you're unwell, you can't go out in your condition. Go back to the bedroom."

You mean the bedroom all four of us have been sharing? No thanks. It was way too small for four people, especially when one of them was a six year old who didn't understand the concept of privacy.

Rolling my eyes, I lifted my shirt for what felt like the hundredth time, exposing my scars. That was all they were now--scars. I was completely fine thanks to the mysterious dragon, but no one seemed to believe me; they thought I was "toughing out" my injuries. To be fair to them, that was a definitely something I had done in the past. Just not this time. "Mom, I really am okay. I want to do my part for the village. I can't do that in bed."

She came over, a sadness in her eyes, and touched my cheek lightly; her hands were warm from kneading. I smiled at her to ease her worry. She returned my smile half-heartedly; there were creases in her eyes that weren't there before the storm. Her brown eyes, usually a brilliant shade of toffee and filled with spirit, seemed darker in the lighting, more troubled. I grew up hearing stories of my wayward mother, who redefined what it meant to be a woman in Brar. She never let a man tell her what to do, refused an arranged marriage to be with my father, and encouraged me to join Jacob in his sparring lessons with Dad. I loved her, admired her. Seeing her like this. . .

She'd thought she'd lost you and Erika that night. Of course she's worried. The little voice inside my head was right, of course. She must have spent the better part of the night thinking we wouldn't be coming back.

I threw my arms around her. "I'll be careful." That was all I could give her. It wouldn't be right to promise her I'd be fine out there, I did intend on going off the path, after all, but I could promise her that I'd do my best to be cautious and look after myself.

She squeezed me tight then held me at an arm's length away. "I wanted to keep you home a little longer, but I know you wouldn't stay put for long--you're my child, after all." She chucked my chin with a small smile. "Bring something big home for your father to cook up." 

"I will. I love you."

"I love you too, Evangeline."

I grimaced at the use of my full name. She usually used it when I was in trouble, but today it was a term of endearment. That didn't make me like the name any more, though. 

Slipping past her, I swiped a piece of bread for breakfast then made my way over to my trail on the outskirts of town. This hunt would take longer than usual without Hiron to help me, so instead of following the big boulder up the mountain to reach the waterfall I liked to hunt, I turned right, following the much less ridden path. I'd been working on this trail for a while now, searching for the best location to set up traps. Today, however, I was going to try something different. Instead of going straight for the hunt, I was going to take my time. After seeing the world from above, I wanted to imagine where in the forest I was. How close was I to Mount Ascona? Or was I heading towards one of the other many mountains Grayson had named? What would the land look like if there was no forest obscuring my vision? I wanted to appreciate my surroundings more than ever. The scent of pollen in the air, the sounds of leaves and pine needles brushing against one another, the sunlight beaming through the canopy, lighting my path through the forest.

I've walked through this forest for years but never once stopped to truly see it. It was beautiful, peaceful. I could feel the energy--the life--of the forest in my bones. It was like I'd discovered a new part of myself. I felt so at ease here. It didn't matter where the forest was taking me, I just followed the feeling--as though I was attached to a tether--along the lightly trodden trail.

Eventually it led me to a creek at the bottom of a ravine. I stopped for a moment. This place seemed eerily familiar. . .

When I turned to see further upstream, I realised I had been here before, that I wasn't too far from where the mountain lion had attacked Erika and I the other night. A daunting chill ran down my spine. The lion was dead, sure, but who was to say another mountain lion hadn't claimed this uncontested territory as their own since then?

I drew my knife. I was beginning to think that there was something more to the feeling that brought me here. I definitely wouldn't come back here willingly. Just thinking about that night put all my senses on high alert; the hair on my arms stood on end. 

Yet, despite the danger that might be lurking in the bushes, I felt inclined to follow the tether further up the creek. It was impossible to ignore, like an itch; the more I resisted, the worse it got.

Steeling my nerves, I ventured upstream until I reached the base of a waterfall. The waterfall. It was more beautiful today than it had been the other night. The trees gave way, as if the forest was opening its arms wide for me, welcoming me to this little slice of haven. With the cascade not nearly as powerful as it had during the storm, birds had gathered around the base and showered under the soft trickle. The cave entrance stood out from behind the waterfall as clear as day, but unlike the rest of the clearing, it seemed dark and bleak, a shadow of a memory I'd rather forget. 

If I had things my way, I wouldn't have come here. I didn't want to come to the place I'd died and I certainly didn't want to see him. He might have saved my life, but now he symbolized a future I couldn't have. One I had graciously declined. 

I should leave. He probably wanted to see me even less than I wanted to see him. If he was still here. If what Grayson said was true, Arkon would most likely want to remain hidden. After we discovered him, he'd have to find a new place to live, one where no wandering humans could stumble into him.

Letting out an exasperated puff of air from my lungs, I sat on a boulder sitting precariously at the edge of the pool and let the many questions I had buzzing through my mind float away, down the stream. There was no point in wondering about Arkon. I'd chosen to stay here in the valley.

There were so many ripples in the water, I almost didn't make out the schools of large fish swimming in circles at my feet. They were perfectly blended with the colours of the grimy pebbles. After watching them carry on their ordinary lives, I remembered the reason I'd gone on my excursion to begin with. "Well, I might as well bring something home."

I hopped off the boulder and scanned the forest floor for the straightest stick I could find then attached an arrow to it, fashioning a spear. I didn't have much experience with fishing this way. Even when I fished with a rod, I wasn't very good at it. Hunting land animals was much easier, in my opinion; though some of the other hunters would disagree. They couldn't hold much over me, but actually being able to catch a fish was definitely one of them.

I slipped out of my boots and socks and rolled my pants up to my knees then waded slowly into the water. The first challenge was getting over the cold! After hiking all morning in the summer sun, I'd expected the water to warm up at least a little bit. The shock made my movements jittery at first, and the fish scattered to the other end of the pool. Once I got over the frigid temperatures and found a spot I could stand still in, the fish soon forgot I was with them and grew comfortable around me. Now it was a waiting game. They just had to get a little bit closer. . . 

I thrust the spear--and missed. Again and again.

They scattered.

I groaned, kicking water up in my frustration. "Just get on the spear, you stupid fish!"

A low, deep chuckle emanated from the cave. I was so startled, in the middle of spearing for another fish, I lost my balance and slipped on the rocks and fell on my butt. The black dragon emerged from the cave, stretching his wings, almost engulfing the entire clearing. In a sparkly display of a dragon's true majestic nature, his body shook, dispersing the water clinging to his scales. Fully dried, he tucked his wings behind his back and sat on the shore, crystal blue eyes set on me. "There are better ways to hunt, human." His voice was thick and gravelly, yet it held an unpracticed sardonic tone, like this was the first time in ages since he'd taken a jab at someone.

All I could do was gape like a fool. Here was a magnificent creature before me--making fun of my fishing ventures. It was almost as surreal as him saving my life.

His head tilted slightly, examining me more closely. "Do not tell me you are so primitive you cannot speak." There was definitely disappointment riding his tone. "The younger human with you earlier was more verbal than you."

I cleared my throat. "No, I, uh, I can talk, I'm just. . . stunned." Wow. I was really blowing this first impression out of the water, wasn't I? I didn't know what was wrong with me. It wasn't like this was my first time talking to a dragon. 

Maybe it wasn't the act itself that I struggled with, but more of the implications. The fact we were talking meant that I had actually died in a storm. Meant that the scars he'd given me did, indeed, connect us in some way. Made the sting of declining Grayson's offer hit me harder. 

"Why?" the dragon asked, a puzzled look pulling at the scales around his eyes and jowls. "You knew I was here. Is that not why you came?" He readjusted, laying down, his tail slipping into the water; his scales blended with the pebbles as seamlessly as the fishes' scales had. No wonder I didn't know he was here. He could have pretended not to be here the entire time and I wouldn't have known.

"To be honest, it wasn't my intention to come here. . . it just kinda happened."

"Hmm." He pondered a moment, swirling his talons around a rock I considered to be big but was dwarfed by him. His eyes wandered from me, to the water, to the forest, then back to me, seemingly deciding something. "What is your name, human?"

"Eva. Eva Greene. Are you Arkon?"

His eyes were suddenly sad. "I have not heard that name for almost a century, but yes, I am Arkon, thirteenth son of Dracon."

"He was the dragon king, right? I'm sorry for your loss." 

His wings reflexively fluttered behind him. He lowered his head, eyes shadowed by old memories. "You humans tell your history well."

"I'm sure in other parts of the Aboria they do, but my education in Brar is limited by Lord Myers' library and what my parents taught me. Grayson told me about your history the other day." I realised he didn't know--and might not even care--who Grayson was. "He's a Dragon Knight, like my brother."

He sat a little straighter, suddenly wary of me; his tail flickered in the water, the same way Misses Flynn's cat did when it was agitated. "That is why you are unafraid of me. You are familiar with dragons."

"Sure." Familiar was a bit of a stretch, but I guess I have encountered dragons more than the average human. I was certainly more comfortable around them than most. Even some members of my village were still afraid of Aries--and she was as harmless as a butterfly!

"So, is that why you are here, human? Did the Knight tell you to do this? To bring me to their base?" I didn't blame him for being defensive. What could you expect from a dragon that had his back stabbed by humans?

"No!" I insisted, holding my hands up in good faith. "I told you. I don't know what I'm doing here. I was following a trail then I had this feeling. . . I followed it and it brought me here. I thought you had already left. I'm not here to force anything on you."

He considered it.

"Good. Now get out of the water."

I was so caught up in my awe that I forgot I was sitting wasit-deep in water. Feeling stupid, I climbed atop the big boulder, hoping the mid-day sun would dry me off quickly.

Arkon dipped his talon in the water. The scales on his chest began to glow, spine glistening with lightning. The air filled with static for all but a second before the lightning building up in his chest shot through his body, down his leg and out of his talon, striking three of the many fish swimming around. I would have thought they'd all be zapped, but there would always be a part of magic I would never understand.

The three fish floated to the surface, and I quickly gathered them into my leather pouch before they washed downstream.

"You're right: there are better ways to fish. You'll have to show me that trick some time," I joked. Once I got over the wow-factor, he was easy to talk to, like I had hiked to this very spot and chatted with him every day since I could walk.

"One day you will know all of my tricks."

I stared at him, trying to figure out if he was being sarcastic or not. He must have been, because there was only so much my non-magical body could do, and I was pretty sure zapping fish with lightning was not one of them.

He said nothing.

"Are you serious?"

"You have much to learn, little one. We are Bound, after all, there is more to it than sharing a soul. Surely your Knight friend told you?"

"No, not really," I muttered, remembering I'd shut down anything Grayson tried to say to me. Maybe I should have waited for him to tell me what made being Bound to a dragon so damn special before shutting him up. "So, uh, what does it mean to be Bound? Other than sharing a soul?"

Arkon tilted his head, seemingly caught off guard by my question. "Well, I am not entirely sure of the logistics-"

I stopped him right there. "Wait. You Bonded with me not really knowing what would happen to me? To us? Why did you even save my life? You didn't have to." I was shocked such a supposedly-wise being would do something without thinking it through or even understanding fully what being Bound entailed.

"What I know," he went on with stern, sharp eyes on me, "is that we share certain abilities and senses. For example, I can sense your presence now and as you wandered the forest this morning. I can feel that you are at ease with me here and your frustration when you couldn't catch the fish earlier. You should be able to sense me too. Perhaps that is why you came here. You were drawn to me."

I thought about my walk here. I did feel drawn, but I also felt connected to the forest. "Is that why I can feel the forest, 'cause you can?"

He seemed to smile. "Yes. This is an ordinary sensation for me, and I believe it is a permanent sense for you as well now. I wonder. . ." Without warning, he stood up and reached out for me. I staggered back, suddenly alarmed; he was faster and tapped the tip of his claw on my chest. It was a gentle touch, but I still almost fell back into the water. 

A second later, a surge of energy hit my chest then went straight to my head. Suddenly, anything that gave off heat was highlighted in red; the fish, Arkon, my hand, the many, many creatures of the forest--the trees!

"Holy fuck! There's a griffin! We have to get out of here!" That was one monster I was not equipped to fight. 

Arkon did nothing, save take his talon away from me. Red silhouettes were still visible, but they were more faint, and only the creatures nearby were highlighted. The griffin wasn't one of them. My panic subsided. It wasn't as close as it had appeared. Thank the Gods.

"Even if the griffin was closer, it wouldn't dare go near us," Arkon told me confidently, as if he knew what I had been thinking. "Besides, I'd fry it before it would even think about attacking you."

"Good to know," I gasped, still trying to wrap my head around this sense. This must be what a dragon's vision looked like. I couldn't stop staring at the red fish swimming in circles in the pool beside me; they would be so much easier to catch if I tried to spear them again. "What did you do? I couldn't see like this a few minutes ago."

"I transferred some of my magic--a very small amount--to you to awaken this ability. With concentration, I am sure you can borrow more of my magic without touching me to do other things I can do with ease. Of course, I do not know of your limits, but we can learn together, if you wish."

I sat down again. "I'm good for now." I didn't think he understood what it felt like to be magicless then to suddenly have magic. It was a lot to take in. This whole situation almost made me feel sick. It didn't feel natural and I needed time to adjust.

"This was too much, was it not?" The dragon was concerned, watching me as I held my head in my hands. "I only thought it'd help you return home safely, now that you can see your predators. It baffles me how you have survived the forest as long as you have. There is a reason humans stick to the path."

"I'm fully aware of that," I muttered, taking deep breaths to push the nausea away.

"Yet you still leave the trails," he replied thoughtfully. "I admire your tenacity. Against all odds, you navigated your way through the dark forest and protected your sister in a dangerous storm, surrounded by predators. Not only that, you were dying and you still got your sister to safety. I have not heard of a human with such resilience. I think that is why I Bonded with you. You are strong-willed with a pure heart."

I smiled at the compliment. It was honestly the nicest thing anyone had said about me, and he made it seem like the most obvious thing in the world. "Thanks."

I stood to move into the sun again, as the trees had started casting shadows over my spot. Then I realised that I had a long walk back home, and if I wanted to get home before dark, I had to leave now. "Listen, this has been really nice, but I have to go."

"I know," he said, watching the sun move ever so slowly. "I would take you home, but your brother was right: the less people who know about me, the better."

I paused in the middle of putting my boots on. "How-?"

"We can also share strong memories or experiences. Your brother's words have been circling your mind ever since he uttered them. Do not worry, human, I will neither invade your privacy when I can help it or let harm befall you."

"Good." The last thing I wanted was to have every thought I had heard by somebody else--no matter who it was. They were personal. Mine. "Okay, well, I'll see you around, I guess."

"Safe travels, human."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.7K 391 55
"I love you," he said, but I couldn't return those words back...not yet".-Rose _*_ As Rose chooses to...
81K 6.1K 45
One mistake changes Hannah's life forever, exiling her from her realm and isolating her from the man who loves her. Now, Hannah must find a way to re...
2.5M 144K 50
"As soon as you believe you are a monster is when you become one." After many years of war, the kingdom of Edria is finally in an era of peace--peace...
54.9K 2.6K 30
《Paperback available on Amazon》 Book 1 || Adventures of Wala series || Kali Dracino is a born-and-raised dragon tamer. There hasn't been a single dra...