nebula :: [malik]

By charismatize

"Zayn, the stars don't come out in a city that never sleeps." In which two people must help each other pass... More

nebula
[ p. :: nebula ]
[ i :: dark ]
[ ii :: alphabet ]
[ iii :: unlucky ]
[ iv :: portrait ]
[ v :: likes ]
[ vi :: lab ]
[ vii :: coffee ]
[ viii :: gazing ]
[ ix :: napkin ]
[ x :: party ]
[ xi :: drinking ]
[ xii :: sidekick ]
[ xiii :: constellations ]
[ xiv :: dating ]
[ xv :: bowling ]
[ xvi :: sunday ]
[ xvii :: sucking ]
[ xviii :: drinks ]
[ xix :: snapchat ]
[ xx :: third wheel ]
[ xxi :: single ]
[ xxii :: photography ]
[ xxiii :: friendship ]
[ xxiv :: bad boys ]
[ xxv :: matchmaker ]
[ xxvi :: weather ]
[ xxviii :: games ]
[ xxix :: honesty ]
[ xxx :: ¡failure! ]
[ xxxi :: birthdays ]
[ xxxii :: his ]
[ xxxiii :: parenthood ]
[ xxxiv :: sunday (pt.2) ]
[ xxxv :: monday funday ]
[ xxxvi :: myths ]
[ xxxvii :: tequila ]
[ xxxviii :: seeing/believing ]
[ xxxix :: bitches (pt. 1) ]
[ xl :: bitches (pt. 2) ]
[ xli :: transition ]
[ xlii :: cold ]
[ xliii :: peanut gallery ]
[ xliv :: confrontation ]
[ xlv :: cheers ]
[ xlvi :: scone ]
[ xlvii :: almost ]
[ xlviii :: keys ]
[ xliv :: escape ]
[ xlv :: soeur ]
[ xlvi :: bubbly ]
[ xlvii :: nebula ]
[ xlviii :: hungry ]
[ xlix :: pillow talk ]
[ l :: bowling ]
[ epilogue :: sunday (pt. 3) ]
[ epilogue (2.) :: full house ]

[ xxvii :: extra credit ]

3.2K 246 101
By charismatize

Can I lay by your side, next to you, you

And make sure you're alright

I'll take care of you

And I don't want to be here if I can't be with you tonight.

- "Lay Me Down" || Sam Smith

_________

"Due to inclement weather...

classes have been cancelled today..."

Anais wakes up to her phone and Soo and this message at 6 o'clock on Tuesday morning.

"Is this some type of extended vacation?" She asks, knocking loudly on Soo Joo's closed bedroom door.

"Jesus, Ana," she grumbles, her platinum hair a mess as she throws open the door. "What? Is there a fire?"

"A snowstorm, actually," and she shakes her phone. "School is like, actually cancelled."

Soo grins.

Then, she pouts. "Why'd you wake me up, though? I don't even have class this early, anyway."

"Yeah," adds Louis, and Anais' eyebrows raise because he is now standing next to Soo Joo, his hair tousled from apparent "sleep."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "It's really just too early for this Anais," he sighs. "Honestly."

Soo's cheeks tinge pink as Anais grins, obviously noting that Louis is also in their flat and he might have also slept over.

Anais decides to confront Soo about this later, because it is only six and even she doesn't have the energy to have this conversation.

She waves tiredly. "Just letting you know," she yawns. "I'm going back to bed."

___

If Zayn had to choose, his favorite thing about winter would be the break. It was that time at home, that time spent indoors with the people who mattered most that he loved. He loved the smell of his mom's cooking, or the sound of familiar voices. It was that feeling: that feeling of home. It was that amazing, warm feeling that came when you were surrounded by unconditional love.

But, break was over. It had come and gone and with it, first semester. It was February already, and he was looking forward to summer when he'd next be around his family.

But, it's funny, because lately, he'd felt more and more like he was on break. Sure, he had tests to take and essays to write and pieces to draw. Sure, he was in school, but lately, there had been someone who'd made him feel that feeling. There was someone who had, each time she was around him, made him feel that amazing, warm feeling that came when you were around family; when you were around the people who loved you.

And this feeling was eating him alive.

And he didn't exactly know what to do about it.

Zayn gets three texts from Anais around 2:30 that Tuesday afternoon. He's eating lunch with Niall in their kitchen having literally just woken up.

"Who's tha...? Niall asks, mouth full of his sandwich.

"Ana," Zayn replies simply. Of all his friends, Niall is probably the one who bothers him the least about Anais, and therefore, he minds the least telling him about all the time he spends with her.

Did you get that email?

The one from Cowell

About extra credit?

Yeah :) x he types back, because after he'd woken up (around noonish) he'd gotten a text from Louis explaining that he'd probably be home late and not to worry because he was with Soo.

Professor Cowell's email came next.

Want to do it?

Can I come over?

Zayn types back immediately.

Of course you can, he says, adding, You don't have to ask honestly, because she doesn't. She doesn't have to keep asking because he's always going to say 'yes.'

"Anais is coming over," he says, although Zayn is more than a bit disappointed to know that she's coming with the intent to do work. As in homework. As in their lab.

"Cool," Niall replies, patting Zayn's shoulder roughly as he makes his way past his mate at the table. He grins, "I'll stay out of your way, then."

___

"It's kind of a good thing we're doing this," says Anais as she sits beside Zayn at the kitchen table, "because um," she stares at him pointedly, "we still have a lab to finish, mister."

"Well," he begins, "we'd have finished if you know, you like, hadn't ditched me last week."

"Okay, buddy," she exclaims. "That wasn't my fault, y'know. I was being a good friend."

"By neglecting another?" He asks with a raised brow. "So, I'm not your first priority, then?"

Anais lets out a short laugh. "I didn't mean to neglect you," she says.

"Too late for an apology," he shrugs. "My feelings have already been affected, you know."

"I promise you'll be my first priority once we finish this," she sings, tapping the questions they had yet to answer.

"See, like, I feel like you're just saying that 'cause it sounds nice, now."

"I am," Anais grins. "I'll say anything you want to hear just so we can finish this. Wait," She holds up a hand, halting him from speaking. "Correction. I'll say mostly anything you want to hear, okay? I really should clarify."

He bites his lip, staring at her. He's trying really very hard not to smile, but it isn't exactly working.

And here comes that feeling.

That feeling he doesn't quite know what to do with.

"Fine," he shrugs. "I'll think about it," and he rises from his seat, leaving her at the table.

"Hey!" She exclaims, whirling around as she watches him retreat from the kitchen. "Where are you going?"

"I haven't heard what I need to hear, yet," he calls, smirking at her as she gasps at his table.

"Aww, c'mon, Zayn! I was joking, okay!"

He pokes out his bottom lip, shrugging.

"God, you suck as a partner, you know that?"

"See," he sighs with a shake of his head, "sounds like we're moving backwards, love. That's not making me want to work."

Anais falls back against her chair. "Oh my god," and she laughs, rubbing her fist against her eye. "No you are not serious!"

He sticks his head around the doorframe, peering cutely at her in the kitchen.

"Say it, then," he says. "It's just three words, y'know. Three words I need to hear and I'm yours. I'm all yours, Anais."

She throws up her hands. "Here are three words: Let's finish this," she says, counting upon her fingers. "How's that, huh?"

"Nope," he shakes his head. "Simply awful. Absolutely not," and he disappears, laughing down the hall.

Zayn returns with his Calc homework and his laptop.

Anais scoffs. "So you decide to do other homework to do, instead? That's all the way messed up."

"Would it be better if I wrote an essay for you, instead?" He asks, eyebrows raised. "We could trade, y'know, but, um," he pauses, "I don't really peg you as being great at math."

"Wow," Anais laughs. "First of all, I kick math's ass, and secondly, you are just not nice, today."

"I'm really very interested to see you kick math's ass."

"Sounds like you don't have much faith in me."

He pushes his textbook towards her. "Well?" He begins, hiding a laugh as he scratches his beard. "Go on, then."

"I've changed my mind," she says at once. "I can't help you unless you help me," she glares, "unless you do this lab."

He laughs aloud, now. "Right, Anais," he nods. "Right."

Anais ends up finishing most of her homework and the extra credit lounging upon Zayn's couch. She's had dinner by now and Niall has come and gone, since he's been half-asleep all day for a much needed 'personal health day' that he's been enjoying in the back of the apartment by himself.

Zayn now sits beneath her, drawing something for some class in one of his larger sketchbooks.

He looks up at her, staring as she bites her lower lip, fingers tapping against her face as she stares at the problems he really should be helping her with but really doesn't want to.

It's more fun not helping, anyway.

"M'thinking of getting a haircut," he says at once.

Her gaze is pointed at his, now. Her eyebrows pinch together. "Huh?"

"Yeah," he says, running his hand through his locks, "Been thinking about it for a while, now."

"Okay?" A slight grin plays upon her lips. "And you're telling me, because...?"

"'Cause I wanted you to know," he shrugs, "And I know how much you like my hair," he grins, "y'know, when you kiss me and all."

Anais laughs, and Zayn likes the fact that her eyes close as she leans against the pillows.

Here comes that feeling again.

Anais wags her pen at him. "You're extra bold today, you know that, right?"

"I'm giving you your daily dose of me, remember?" He grins, because he has been purposefully playing with her all day and it's kept him thoroughly amused.

Anais rolls her eyes. "Haven't I had enough, already?"

"Never," and he smiles with teeth, dimples popping beneath his eyes as he shakes his head.

Anais groans. "Honestly, fuck you for being so hot and cute at the same time because dammit, I just can't stay mad."

And Zayn opens his mouth to respond when Anais' eyes flicker above his head.

"Holy shit," she exclaims, clamoring to her feet. He stares at her, watching in surprise as she races towards the window adjacent his fire escape.

She plasters her face against the glass. "God," she frowns, tracing her finger along the clouded pane. "Look at all this ice."

"Whoa," Zayn travels across the room, standing beside her. "Fuck," he mutters, because there is a legitimate blizzard raging outside.

"Yeah," Anais says, nodding at him with wide eyes. She peers back outside. "Watch classes be cancelled tomorrow, too."

"You probably shouldn't leave, then," he says, and she whips her head back to face him.

"Leave here?"

He nods calmly, although internally his heart is pounding because he has no idea how Anais might take this. "I mean, like, you really shouldn't be going out in that," he says, nodding towards the storm. "And it's like, late now," he says, since it's almost 10:30. "And y'know, at this point it's like, dangerous, Anais. You're more than a few blocks from your flat."

She frowns although his argument is pretty strong. It's snowing heavily and it's freezing, let alone the wind. Its nearly blowing street lights off of their poles - from what she can see from the iced window.

"I don't have any clothes," she states.

He rolls his eyes. "It's really not like you can't wear some of mine."

"Oh," she folds her arms tightly against her chest. "Oh, I see how it is."

"What do you mean?"

"So, now you feel like being nice, huh?"

He laughs. "What? Wha' do you mean?"

"It's been hours, Zayn," she says. "Hours since I've been over, and-"

"And you haven't enjoyed yourself?" He teases. "'Cause I've enjoyed you, y'know."

"Not the point," she says, narrowing her eyes.

"What?" He grins. "I've been having fun, yeah? You haven't?"

"Zayn, stop playing. We've got Astronomy to do, remember?"

He places a quick kiss upon her nose. "Um, that's not my fault, remember?"

"Ha-! Right. Please, please tell me how that could possibly be?"

He shrugs as if the answer is simple; as if she's daft for not knowing."You haven't said what I need to hear, you know."

"Oh my god," Anais throws up her hands. "Are we still on that? I was seriously joking - Seriously."

"I took it quite literally, though."

"Apparently," she mutters. And she waves her hand around. "So what would that be?" She demands, "What do you want me to say, huh? And you're gonna have to be specific since I'm obviously not gonna get it without help."

He steps towards her. "It's really simple, honestly."

"Then, how come I've gone this whole day without being able to guess?"

He tugs on one of her loose curls. "Good question," he shrugs.

She swats his hand away. "Just say it, Zayn."

He steps closer.

And closer.

And Anais sighs as their chests touch but his hands don't snake around her waist like she wants them to.

She's about to speak when finally, he does.

He whispers, "Tell me you love me."

Anais chokes on air. "Tell you I what?"

"Tell me you love me, Anais," and a grin plays upon his lips at the sight of her doe-eyed, open-mouthed stare. He shrugs. "Simple, really."

"Why don't you tell me first?"

"Fine," he shrugs, and he shocks even himself with his boldness. "I love you."

Her word is a whisper. "What?"

"I love you," he says again, because it's so easy. It's so easy and so simple telling Anais how he feels about her, and it's just not even surprising at this point.

That feeling expands.

That feeling quickly fills the entirety of the space between his ribs.

"I love you, Anais. You're beautiful and cheeky and hilarious and you've got this way of making me feel good even when I don't. Like, I never feel like I can't say anything around you, y'know? I don't feel like I've got to be anyone else, like...Like, I feel like you genuinely like me for me and you um," he pauses, only to gage her reaction, "As cliche as this sounds, you like, make me feel like I'm home and honestly," he chuckles "there are really very few people who make me feel the way you can and-"

She cuts him off with a kiss.

It's a quick peck upon his lips, but Zayn's eyes widen instinctively.

When she pulls away, it is her words that keep him from pulling her back against his body.

"I love you, too," she replies, and that feeling grows at the sight of her smile. "I really, really love you, too."

He lifts his brows, as that feeling seems to settle, purring contently as it plays gleefully around his heart. "Oh yeah?"

Anais snakes her arms around his waist. She grins. "Yeah."

____

"Think I like those clothes better on you, honestly," Zayn says as Anais steps from his bathroom, wearing a pair of his sweats and a crewneck.

"Thanks," Anais replies, as she crawls into bed beside him. She places a quick kiss upon his cheek. "They're my boyfriend's."

"Yeah?" He grins, turning out the lights and sliding against her body. "What's his name, then?"

Anais sighs as Zayn places kisses upon the back of her neck.

"Zayn," she sighs.

His lips linger against her jaw. "Didn't quite catch that."

"My boyfriend?" She asks. "His name is Zayn."

He hums. "And you like him?"

"I do, actually," Anais nods. "I really kind of actually love him."

-~*~-

This chapter was fun to write.

Actually it's probably my favorite so far (besides 'Sunday.' maybe.)

Thank you guys so much for getting this story ranked and for voting and commenting and being so amazing and invested in this too. <3 <3<3

Literally can't say thank you enough.

Also, wrote a #leigharry oneshot so if you have time I would totally love you forever if you checked that out and gAve me feedback since I kind of want to delete it lol :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 193 33
The typical high school Harry fanfic! *ON HOLD* All Rights Reserved To @larryoverall
96.7K 3.7K 24
"not even in my wildest dreams." (disclaimer) i do not own liam and zayn. i am in no way implying that anything in this story happens in real life. i...
146K 1.5K 22
[Warning: Cliché Sheit] "How exactly can you help me Harry?" "Sex lessons." thank u for 100k!!!
81.6K 2.9K 24
DISCLAIMER: I wrote this when I was very young so read at your own risk • "I'll never understand why you want plastic girls that dont have anything t...