The Princess's Guard ✔️

Per Midika

*Formerly His Desire* "You think you want me, but I don't think you could handle what I would do to you." His... Més

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
Epilogue

37

5.3K 195 23
Per Midika

Word Count: 1368

~Kiva

I stare at Ark's imposing boots as they pace back and forth in front of me.

"You're not concentrating," he points out.

My quivering arms give out from under me, my stomach falling flat against the polished wood floor.

"How can I?" I grumble.

"Is this about Caspian?"

"No, although I'm pretty sure I married a horrible man," I mutter tiredly, forcing myself up into a sitting position.

It's a miracle I'm still able to train. I've made a point not to mention it to Caspian. If he knew, he would tell me to stop, although I've been at my father's for a couple days while my recent husband has been away on a trip.

If Ark hasn't received such a highly regarded recommendation to remain as my personal guard from my father, I don't think he would still be employed.

Eventually Caspian will tire of appeasing my father, though.

Without Ark, I'll drown here.

"Has he said anything about the consummation?" Ark asks tightly, adjusting his gloves. I can hear the bite of anger in his voice, although he does well to reign it back.

"No. I slapped him pretty good, so that should be enough to scare him away for a bit. But he will be knocking on my door expecting...things, soon enough," I sigh.

The thought is painfully depressing, although it is impossible to forget. At some point I will have to face it.

"It's not to late-"

"Don't. I don't need to hear that now." He tried it at the wedding and he's going to try it until I'm smart enough to leave Caspian. The problem is it's basically impossible for me to get out of a marriage now.

He smiles a little. "Understood."

I scramble to my feet, rubbing my sweating palms down my thighs.

"I need to talk to Taven."

Ark turns away, but not before his eyes darken. "That's not a good idea."

I'm surprised Ark has hunted him down and killed him by now. He is working for the rebellion, and he is mated to me. Ark should be more angry than he seems to be, which suggests something else is going on.

"I have to learn more about him. And he needs to know I'm married," I say. Taven hasn't made any effort to reach out to me, which is probably due to my recent location change.

"He wants you dead," Ark growls.

"He doesn't..." I break off.

Ark wouldn't understand. I don't even really understand. I'm fairly certain that Taven doesn't want me dead, considering he has many chances to kill me. But there is a small part that sings to me, warning me that Taven may not be who I want him to be.

"You sound doubtful."

"He's just not who I thought he would be, you know?" I sigh, running a hand down my face.

He frowns. "You were expecting someone in particular?"

"You, obviously," I laugh a little, hating how screwed up this situation is. "He just doesn't look like what I thought, and I swear his body was different."

It must have been the veil of night that tricked me into seeing him differently. He just didn't seem like the kind of man to press me up against a tree like he did that night months ago.

"Did you touch him?"

"Not since seeing his face."

"Hmm."

Ark turns his attention to where he is polishing the blade of his dagger with a cloth. A frown is embedded deeply into his forehead as he considers something I'm not privy to.

That's the problem with him. He's still so secretive.

"I'm going to solve this. Tonight," I tell him pointedly, heading toward the door.

Night comes and I've decided I'm going to do all it takes to get in contact with Taven. He hasn't been lurking in the forest over the past few days that I've been here. Tonight is going to be my last chance to tell him everything.

I stare out my bedroom window, at the glossy snow and ominous forest. I see nothing out there.

My door opens behind me.

"Ark? It's the middle of the night," I note, twisting around to face him.

The door clicks shut and he strides into the room. He hasn't been in my room at night since my marriage. Having him in close proximity in the shadows seems deliciously sinful.

"I'm sorry for waking you," he murmurs lowly.

He looks different tonight. I don't know what it is, but his eyes seem darker, more intentionally. His expression is grave though, like he bears bad news.

"Something wrong?" I ask tentatively. I'm painfully aware that I'm fully dressed in clothing ready to traverse into the snow after my other mate. He doesn't seem to notice.

He approaches me, grabbing my hands. "Run away with me...Please."

My eyes widen.

"What?"

"We can leave all of this behind. Your father, the rebellion, we can leave it behind and start new elsewhere," he insists.

I blink. I've never seen Ark so passionate, so inflamed by desperation that it's as if his usual façade has dropped. I almost don't recognise him.

"You can't just ask me to do that," I breathe shakily.

"Please, Kiva. For your own safety." His voice is choked, anguished. The composed man I know so well has vanished, replaced by someone who is desperate for a mate he can't have.

"What? I'm fine here."

He grimaces. "You will be better with me, I promise."

By the way he forces the words out, I can tell he wants to say more, he just can't find the words. I let him clutch my hands tightly, but the moment he starts to pull me away with him, I'm ready to protest.

"You have dark secrets, Ark. How can I trust you? I hardly know you," I remind him.

"You can learn about me. I'll tell you everything as soon as we are out of this cursed place."

"What about Caspian?" My husband, the man who will be expecting me home soon. He would hunt us down if I chose to ran away now. I would never have the normal life I've always dreamed of.

Even if running away with him does sound tempting...

"Fuck him. And your father, and this life of yours," Ark snaps, an anger like I've never seen before suddenly reading up.

I want to shake his shoulders to get some sense into him. "Why can't you tell me now?"

"It's not safe. And there is no time." He glances over his shoulder, as if he expects someone to barge in and ruin this moment of him trying to convince me.

I look down at my hands, my skin turning red from where he grips me tightly. "You're scaring me, Ark..."

"You won't regret this, Kiva. You won't regret coming with me," he continues to press. Is he never going to relent?

A hideous sound of glass shattering from downstairs has a gasp catching in my throat.

"Are we having another break in?" I whisper, listening to the sounds of muffled shouting and feet running.

Immediately any overt emotion he was once expressing vanishes, the mask of a trained mercenary and personal guard falling upon him again.

"Come on, let's go." He takes my arm, leading me to the door.

I don't hesitate. There are many reasons not to trust Ark, but when it comes to my safety, I know I can put my life in his hands.

"Where?" I ask as he takes me into the dim hallway.

I can hear the sound of fighting coming from downstairs. I hope our guards can keep the rebels out, and I especially hope that any father can get to safety.

Taven better not be involved in this...

"I'm taking you to the safe spot across the river. We will be safe there," he assures me.

I swallow my fear, letting him lead me.

Something tells me this isn't just another invasion...everything is going to change.

💗••💓

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! and as always it is available 10 chapters ahead on Radish!

THE DARKEST TEMPTATION— OUT NOW ON WATTPAD!!

~Midika 💜🐼

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

1.2M 46.9K 31
Book 4 of The Alpha Series! Cannot be read as a standalone book! Highest rank: #1 in Werewolf genre on 06/11/2019! Amelia Reid and Ivan Romanov were...
1.1M 66.3K 52
**COMPLETED*** This is book 2 and can be read as a standalone but I recommend you read "Fated" first. Something caught my eye and when I looked up i...
501K 14.4K 51
*Mature Content Warning* I rest both my hands against the table. "I'll go on another date with you, if you tell me one thing about yourself that no...
1.2M 52.4K 32
Book 3 of The Alpha Series! Cannot be read as a standalone book! Ayla Romanov is a hybrid just like her father. Struggling to control the beasts tha...