The Light Of His Life

By katiehelmsway

What if Damon Salvatore was engaged when he was a human? Before he was turned into a vampire by Katherine Pie... More

Author's Note
ACT I
CAST
HISTORY REPEATING
THE TURNING POINT
BLOODLINES
UNPLEASANTVILLE
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
FOOL ME ONCE
FLASHBACK: SIF COMES TO MYSTIC FALLS
A FEW GOOD MEN
THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
UNDER CONTROL
MISS MYSTIC FALLS
BLOODLINES
ISOBEL
THE FOUNDER'S DAY
SEASON 2 CAST
THE RETURN

BRAND NEW WORLD

705 22 6
By katiehelmsway

the next day, sif was getting ready to go to the lockwood mansion with damon. standing in front of the mirror, she gazed into her reflection. closing her eyes in concentration, she tugged at her powers. purple mist swirled and formed a dark cloud on the mirror.

eyeballs frantically moving behind her eyelids, she tried to pinpoint a location. somewhere she could find her brother. passing through all the new places she had searched on the internet, she looked for her brother. the dark cloud grew bigger and bigger, overwhelmed with unused energy. her fist clenched and her shoulders tensed. her eyebrows furrows as her lips frowned. her breathing grew heavier as she pulled at more magic. magic that had to place to go.

her body started shivering as she frantically searched for even a clue of where her brother could be. alas! before she could find anything, a hand rested on her shoulder, startling her and jolting her back to reality. her eyes snapped open as she turned to find damon standing with a concerned look on his face.

"you okay? you looked like you were about to have a seizure," damon said, solicitude leeching to his tone. sif took a deep breath to calm her down, and spoke, "i'm alright. i was just trying to find my brother. maybe he forgot the comet was suppose to happen this year and just needs me to reach out." she knew she was only trying to convince herself and justify her brother not approaching her. after all, elijah never forgot anything, he knew about the comet and if he hadn't come yet, there must be a reason.

damon looked at her with hooded sympathy. he knew she had been trying to find him for a while now. "did you find anything?" sif solemnly shook her head, unable to speak due to the lump in her throat. damon noticed the tears accumulating in her eyes and pulled her to his chest. she tightly hugged him back and burrowed her head in her neck. her muffled voice stammered, "why hasn't he arrived yet?"

damon gently rubbed her back as he tried to console her, "i don't know, honey. maybe he's just trying to clear everything on his plate so when he comes, he can stay without any interruptions." they both doubted it but sif nodded weakly, accepting the answer for the moment. the couple staying in each other's embrace for a while, taking comfort in the other's presence.

not wanting to be late, damon and sif reached the lockwood mansion a while later and sat in the living room with carol. even though her husband just died three days ago, carol lockwood was very put together, not wanting anyone to see her grieve. taking over her husbands duties, she asked, "so i understand john gilbert has left town. have they found the vampire that attacked him?"

damon and sif looked at each other and faced the lockwood matriarch, "well, the sheriff has asked us to take the lead on that and i promise you we will get to the bottom of it." thanks to her husbands friendship with the sheriff and their somewhat white lie, everyone who mattered trusted her. sif was officially a part of the council.

carol nodded, "which brings me to my next subject. with richard gone, i'll be acting as interim mayor until the elections and i'm going to need someone to spearhead out the council. i'd like that person to be you, damon." damon smirked internally, but kept the facade of concern up and said, "whatever you need carol. as a founding family member it's something that's very close to me so i would be honored to help keep this town safe from vampires."

sif chose not to gave any opinion in the matter, not wanting carol to have any reason to doubt her. she also had no will to engage in conversation, her mood still sour from that morning. damon squeezed her hand, silently sending support.

mason and tyler entered the house. upon noticing them, carol got up and closed the door of the living room. damon appeared concerned and asked, "is it safe to talk?" carol waved his worry away, "it's my brother-in-law, mason. he's still visiting. i just don't want him to hear us. he didn't want any part of the council when he lived here and i see no reason to bring him into it now." damon nodded.

the two continue conversation while sif discreetly listens in the other lockwood's conversation. mason and tyler talked about mindless things for a few minutes before mason got to the thing she actually cared about, "so all this anger and aggression you're talking about, you notice a difference when you exercise?" tyler scoffed, "dude, i play three varsity sports. i work out four times a week and run three. i'm gonna say no." mason continued to press, feigning curiosity, "do you have episodes? what happens exactly?"

tyler sighed, "starts out normal, i get angry typically over nothing. i'm an angry guy. i know it just amplifies and i just go off." she could practically feel mason interest as he said, "you black out?" tyler, still oblivious, replied, "yeah, it's like i go blind with rage." she wonders if mason doesn't want to be discreet anymore as he asked, "is there a pattern? like once a month, only at night?" she had to force herself to not roll her eyes as tyler obliviously replied, "all i know is i lose myself, you know? for that time i become something else and i hate it."

the two move on to some other topic just as damon and carol are wrapping their conversation. the two bid their goodbyes and left the house. once they get in the car, damon turned to his fiancee and asked, "so what do you think? tyler's a werewolf too?"

"well, i don't believe tyler has broken the curse yet. he surely has the gene, they explain the anger issues. however, he remains unaware of the supernatural." damon nodded and they spent the rest of the ride in silence. sif couldn't stop thinking about her brother. she wished for him to arrive as soon as he could, but she couldn't help bu think something was holing him back. there had to be a reason why he would cloak himself so properly even she couldn't penetrate. she knew henry must be with him too, she couldn't track him either.

reaching the boarding house, the two settled in the library. sif picked books for them while damon poured a blood bag in glasses. stefan chose the moment to arrive. damon smirked and gestured the glass to his brother, "care for one?" stefan smiled sarcastically and shook his head, "no, thank you. i'm not hungry, just ate."

damon took that as an opportunity to tease his brother, "aren't you worried that one day, all the forest animals are gonna band together and fight back? i mean, surely they talk." stefan chuckled, "i'm just happy that's a blood bag and not a sorority girl supplying your dinner." sif walked over to the couch with a copy of wuthering heights and emma in her hand and passed one to damon while taking her glass of blood. looking over at her brother-in-law, she said, "we were going to have one, but laziness really is a disease."

stefan looked down, annoyed and changed the topic, "have you heard from katherine?" the couple shared a look, silently contemplating whether they should tell or not. deciding against it, they changed the topic. damon looked at stefan, "i think the lockwoods have a family secret because the gilbert device affected them but vervain didn't so they're not vampires, they're something else." the two already knew they were werewolves but not wanting to show their cards, they decided not to tell.

stefan looked at his brother with raised eyebrows, "is this your new obsession?" sif cut in the brothers conversation, "if you'd rather have some unknown species running rampant upon our town, fine. we'll drop it." stefan refrained from speaking more on the topic and went back to the previous one, "we haven't seen the last of katherine, you do know that right? we have no idea what she's up to." damon looked almost offended at how stefan underestimated him, "sure we do. she came back to profess her undying eternal love for you so i'm gonna let you deal with her because i would much rather have my fun by pranking her when she comes back."

stefan sighed heavily and shook his head at his companions childlike behaviour. sif chuckled into her glass as damon settled beside her. "come on, i wanna finish a few chapter before the carnival." and with that, the two settled down for a quiet evening before the stormy night.

⟪⁌‖↤∾∳∾↦‖⁍⟫

later that evening, at the carnival, damon and sif were strolling around. a stuffed bunny was tucked safely in sif's arms and she was the sense of normalcy that washed upon them. it was a feeling she could live with. on hindsight, that should have been her first clue to deduce that it was feeling that wouldn't last long.

damon spotted jeremy at a popcorn stand and dragged her towards his next victim. "jeremy, it's so good to see you!" damon exclaimed with false cheer. jeremy looked over at them and rolled his eyes, "aren't you a little old for a high school carnival?" damon smirked, inviting the sarcasm, "a hundred and fifty years too old." reaching out, he took some of jeremy's popcorn and put it in his mouth.

still new to the paranormal world, jeremy sassed back, "you're pretty funny cracking jokes when i could i don't know...blow the whole lid off this thing by telling someone what you really are." miffed by the threat, damon narrowed his eyes and dragged him away from the crowd. sif rolled her eyes and sighed, following the two.

jeremy, having grown brave and stupid showed off his gilbert ring, trying to say he couldn't be harmed. sif, already tired with imbecile, facepalms as damon choked the boy from behind with an arm under his chin. damon gave his own threat, "this is what we're not gonna do: we're not gonna walk around like we are invincible when it's this easy for me to end you," having proven his point, he released the younger gilbert, "if you want to tell people what i really am go ahead and try."

damon help up jeremy's ring from when he had stolen it, "i will shove this ring so far up your ass, you'll really have something to choke on." he flicked the ring at jeremy's face and grabbed his fiancee's hand before leaving.

"why do the gilberts have the annoying habit of thinking they are invincible just because stefan likes them?" sif wondered out loud. damon shrugged, staring at the wrestling area, "i don't know. but check that out, another family of idiots. the lockwoods."

sif looked over and smirked, her interest peaked. the two went over to the area and watched as tyler came forward to participate. they were looking at tyler who is arm wrestling in a competition when stefan came and stood beside them.

"you're lurking," he said, observing the match. not taking his eyes of the match, damon replied, "i''m observing." stefan scoffed, "more like obsessing."

the three watched as tyler won the match with little difficulty. damon and sif looked at each other, both thinking how his displaying strength was another clue of his werewolf-ness. damon smirked and said, wanting to mess with stefan, "he's got strength." stefan still believing that they were clueless, sassed, "he's a triple letter varsity athlete, of course he has strength. you're reaching."

mason took on the challenge of beating his nephew, certain he would win. damon mockingly commentated the uncle's entry and stefan watched with shock as the uncle beat the nephew. tyler admitted defeat and announced, "okay, he's the champ, who wants to go next?" damon raises stefan's hand as he and sif say concurrently, "stefan wants to go." embarrassed by the sudden attention, stefan coughed and nodded, "yeah, sure, i'll...give it a shot." he joined mason as the engaged couple cheer him on. the two contenders started wrestling, both putting in hard pressure. more frown lines appeared on stefan's forehead as mason beat him. resigned stefan rejoined damon and sif.

damon, with a concealed amusement and little anger, hit his brother's shoulder and said, "you didn't put in any effort at all." worry in his tone, stefan replied, "yeah, actually i did." damon tried to act surprised but before he could utter a single word, sif rolled her eyes in exasperation and sighed loudly, catching the brother's attention, "i'm sorry, but this is getting hard to watch. damon i let you have your fun with this, but i can't take it anymore," turning to stefan, she said, "stefan, of course, he won. you are a pathetic excuse of a vampire, no offence, drinking only animal blood and no human blood. plus he is clearly a werewolf, even a blind man could see it."

stefan blinked at the impulsive outburst. he processed everything said and shook his head, "no, no. werewolf's don't exist. he can't be one." sif, and even damon, stared the younger vampire with disbelief, "and just when i think you can't get any more pathetic. you're a vampire, bonnie is a witch and you draw the line at werewolves. all the cliches have to go together, don't you think?"

stefan, still in denial, retorted, "even if werewolves did exist, you have no proof mason lockwood is one." damon turned his head and noticed a kid repairing something. he called the kid over and stefan frantically asked, "what? what are you up to?" "demonstrating." the kid walked over and damon started to compel him, "i need you to pick a fight with someone, a kid named tyler lockwood," stefan continued to get his brother to stop, he was ignored, "get him mad, don't back down no matter what he does, okay?" carter leaves to go find tyler and stefan looked at damon with disappointment, "you do realize someone is going to get hurt right?" damon shook his head, "no, someone is going to get mad, as in rage." stefan asked what that would accomplish and sif replied that it would prove that the lockwoods are 'a bunch of stinking wet mutts'.

after proving to stefan that they were right--as always, damon and sif were strolling around when sif noticed another presence in the hallway. she stopped and turned around, seeing caroline. damon too looked back and said, "hey blondie, they let you out?" caroline stared at him in disgust, "i remember." sif furrowed her brows and looked at her fiance. damon shrugged and turned to caroline, "what do you remember?"

caroline replied, lip rolled in disgust, "i remember how you manipulated me, you pushed me around, abused me, erased my memories, fed on me,"turning to sif, she continued, "how can you stay with him? or are just as bad?" sif stared at the girl as tears rolled up in her eyes, but couldn't speak a single proper word. sif started understanding the situation a bit better as damon, uncharacteristically scared, claimed that the blonde was crazy. caroline continued as if damon had never spoken, "memories have been coming back, in pieces." damon shook his head, worried, "you can't remember. it's impossible, i mean unless you're becoming a..."

his eyes widened as sif whispered, light as a feather, "you're a vampire." caroline smiled sadistically, "i have a message from katherine, she said "game on"." she was now in front of them and damon's protests for her to wait were ignored as she pushed him with strength. he slided backward and fell on the floor. caroline stared at two for a second longer before she vanished.

sif stared at the place where caroline was for another moment before she shook herself and helped damon up. "you compelled caroline? and still gave her your blood?" damon stared at incredulously, "wha-? you knew i "dated" her!" sif groaned, "yes, but i didn't think you would idiotic enough to feed on her, compel her, and still give her your blood! now she's a vampire and has all her memories back. i would've let the witch heal her."

damon scoffed, "yeah well, it didn't happen like that. so now let's fix this problem. let's go find my brother and his girlfriend." sif whined a why but damon gave her a look and they were on their way to find the others of the scooby gang. they found elena talking to a girl and approach her. elena looked at them and already knows something's wrong, "what happened? damon just replied, yeah, we need you to come with us right now." she reluctantly stopped what she was doing and followed the two.

they picked stefan up along the way and go to a classroom in the high school. after explaining the situation, damon and sif stared the younger couple. stefan shook his head, a little slow, "wait how did this happen?" damon sighed but repeated, "well, i fed her blood and katherine obviously killed her and a plus b equals..." elena asked the next stupid question, "but why?" "because katherine is a manipulative, nasty, little bitch," answered sif. stefan, with his furrowed eyebrows, interrogated, "and she said "game on"? i mean, what does that even mean?"

damon replied, "it means she's playing dirty. she wants us to know." elena questioned, "but why caroline?" sif shrugged, "because caroline already had blood in her? because of caroline's unfortunate history with damon? because she finally caught on how i favored caroline? to mess with us? just for fun? the list goes on and on." stefan worried, "caroline must be completely out of her mind, she doesn't even know what's happening to her."

damon at least had the decency to look sheepish as he answered, "oh i think she does. all of my compulsion from the past started wearing off the minute she was in transition." stefan widened his eyes, "we have to find her." damon nodded, "yep, and kill her." all three turned to look at him incredulously. "you're not gonna kill caroline," sif said. damon stared at her in shock, "oh come on. she knows who we are. she's officially a liability, and we've got to get rid of her. i thought you would agree."

stefan and sif simultaneously shook their heads as stefan said, "damon, absolutely not." damon looked at his brother with a raised eyebrow, "need i remind you of a tragic little story of a girl named vicki donovan? caroline, of all people, will not make it as a vampire. her mother is a vampire hunter. guys come on, we all know how this story's gonna end, just flip to the last chapter and..."

elena firmly said, "it's not an option damon." damon narrowed his eyes, "no? your silence is deafening, stefan. wait, wasn't there a school carnival the night you staked vicki? i never had a town where history repeats itself. you know i'm right." stefan stared at the floor for a moment, then shook his head, "we're not gonna kill her." he left at that and elena followed.

damon looked at sif, "it's the only way. you know i'm right." sif turned to him with a hint of disappointment on her face, "no it's not. do you remember the number of times you asked me to turn you, so we could be together forever? i always said sometime later because i thought of you to be the purest thing in the world and i didn't want to corrupt you by turning you into a vampire. i didn't think you would be able to survive, living like this. you would hate me after your first kill and i would hate myself for taking your innocence away. but you have such amazing control and you did even not have anyone to teach you. i underestimated you. don't underestimate her. for all you know, she might have better control than you, she ignored his offended face and continued, "just give her a chance." at damon's still reluctant face, she added a number of please's till he caved.

a smile stretched her face as she kissed him. she takes his hand and set off to find caroline to help her deal with her vampirism. the find caroline crying next to a dead body and rush over to her. she had blood all over her face and looked at them with a heartbroken expression on her face, "he's dead. i killed him. what's wrong with me?"

Sif approached caroline like one would a wounded animal and tried to console her, "hey, hey it's okay. i can help you." desperation reeking in her voice, caroline said, her voice cracking, "you can?" sif nodded caroline softly asked what they were going to do. damon tried stepping near the two but as soon as caroline laid eyes on him, she freaked out, "please don't kill me! i don't want to die!"

sif widened her eyes and shook her head violently, "no, no, we're not going to kill you!" it broke her heart to look at caroline's terrified face. the poor girl didn't deserve to be caught in the crossfire. damon slowly neared the two with his hands raised in the universal surrender act, "caroline, we just want to help you, okay? you'll be fine." still slightly sceptical, caroline nodded warily. sif wrapped her arms around the young girl just as stefan came around pushed damon away from them.

damon explained how he wasn't going to kill the girl as elena moved to stand next to the girls and caroline looked at her with a panicked look, thinking elena was katherine, she exclaimed, "get away from me! you killed me!" elena frantically tried to explain how the one who killed her friend wasn't her, but katherine instead. however, plagued with the memory of her death, caroline had trouble believing it, "no, then why did she look like you?! and why, why did she do this to me?!"

elena looked at stefan and sif statind that they need to get caroline inside the nearest bathroom and try to calm her down. stefan nodded and led caroline away as sif approached damon. before anyone could move any further, bonnie arrived. she saw the blood on caroline's face and became horrified, "no, you're not. you can't be." she touched her friend and is horrified by the truth. caroline was a vampire.

caroline tried to get her attention but bonnie spotted the dead body first. caroline, seeing the look on bonnie's face, tries to explain but stefan and sif took caroline away from the area to the bathroom. he took some tissues to wipe the blood off her face. caroline and sif started washing away the blood too. "she hates me! bonnie hates me," caroline cried. stefan tried to console her, "no, no, she's just in shock, we all are." caroline looked at doubtfully, "and what about matt?" she started crying and sif spoke up, "hey, let's take one thing at one time, let's get this blood off first, come on."

caroline pushed their hands away, "i'm a murderer. i'm a monster." sif pulled her arms gently off her face and stefan spoke firmly, "look at me, your emotions are heightened right now. it's part of the transformation. it's completely normal. i promise you. okay?" caroline caught a glimpse of her face changing in the mirror and started to panic, "why does this keeping happening to my face?!"

sif answered, "hey it's completely normal. see, it happens to us too," she shows her own vampire face to demonstrate, "it's okay. you are a vampire now, and i know you know they exist, you have your memories back, right?" caroline calmed down slightly and nodded. stefan continued the explanation, "when you feel the blood rushing, you tell yourself that you're going to get through it, that you're strong enough. yes, yes, no matter how good it feels to give yourself over to it, you fight it off, you bury it. it's the only way you're gonna survive this thing." he changed his face to the vampire one and back to normal and urged caroline to try. she took a few breaths and her face returned to normal.

sif watched as stefan praised her, already knowing what she had to do. she couldn't let stefan turn caroline like him. caroline looked at the two and asked in a broken voice, "why did katherine do this to me?" sympathy coated stefan's face as he replied, "i don't know, i wish i did. hey, hey, i promise you i will not let anything happen to you. come here. come here." he embraced her, oblivious to sif's watchful eye.

she knew exactly why katherine did that. and she didn't like it one bit. she would make katherine pay for it. but at the moment, she squeezed caroline's hand, sending comfort and at caroline's small nod of reassurance, left the bathroom to check on her fiance.

she was met with a scene she didn't like one bit. she arrived at the area just as bonnie created a fire in an attempt to burn damon. damon screamed in agony and elena pleaded bonnie to stop but was ignored. looking at the scene, sif saw red. she lifted her arm and a purple force pushed bonnie away from damon, breaking her concentration. the fire coating damon vanished as bonnie fell to the ground.

sif sped towards bonnie and grasped her throat, pulling her off the ground and choking her. thick purple mist surrounded the two and blocked them from the outside. "how dare you?" sif's voice was cold and steely as she threatened the witch. she narrowed her eyes and titled her head, taking pleasure in the way bonnie choked and tried- and failing- to free herself.

"i thought i told you to not mess with us. why don't you young, arrogant witches ever listen?" she questioned. "you chose to attack someone i care about and you just made yourself an enemy, girl. come near us again and i will rip your throat out before you could even think of a spell. and your bennet spellbooks or ancestors won't be able to help."

she tightened her hold for a minute, ignoring the sounds of elena pleading her to leave bonnie and damon to tell sif to stop. after a while, as bonnie's breaths started to become shallower, she dropped the witch uncaringly. the mist disappeared and elena ran to help a nearly passed out bonnie. sif approached damon and took his hand, dragging him away from the children.

"are you okay?" she questioned and damon chuckled and nodded, "yeah. that was so badass, i've never seen you use your powers like that before. sif shrugged, stating that a need for them never cam. the two walked in a comfortable silence, holding hands before sif said, "we need to help her come to terms with the vampirism," at damon's nod, she continued, "preferably before stefan. he will keep trying to coax her into hating her vampirism and turn her into another him. damon agreed and two made a plan to approach caroline the next day before stefan could.

⟪⁌‖↤∾∳∾↦‖⁍⟫

at the house, sif and damon were sitting next to each other, continuing their books with the bunny damon won next to her. they sensed jeremy behind them and looked up from their books. damon groaned, "what the hell are you doing here?" jeremy, almost disapprovingly said, "you don't lock your front door."

damon shrugged, getting up get himself a whiskey. he was about to drink when jeremy stopped him, "no i wouldn't...i laced it with vervain." damon narrowed his eyes, "and why would you do that?" jeremy showed the stake in his hands, "so i could stake you...with this." sif sighed, "do people never take a break from trying to kill us. i mean, surely after so much failure, they know that they won't be able to achieve their goal."

jeremy didn't say anything, just threw the stake on the floor. damon picked it up, "you came here to kill us?" jeremy shrugged, "elena and stefan said you two were dangerous and you compelled me. it's only fair." damon, knowing jeremy won't actually do it, asked, "what made you wisen up?"

jeremy looked at the ground, "my father hated vampires, my uncle too. they were absolute. they knew exactly what they stood for and i figure maybe i should too. i mean, stand for something. but killing you, what's that gonna do?" damon and sif shared a look before damon said, "look, i don't do the big brother thing very well. sorry, i don't have any milk and cookies to offer you." jeremy scoffed and called him a dick, moving to leaving.

sif gave damon a look and watched his face scrunch with annoyance and a little bit of anger. damon sighed and called, "wait. my father hated vampires too." jeremy looked genuinely surprised at the piece of knowledge, "he did?" damon nodded, "for the same reasons your dad did. only it was 1864. people knew how to whittle." he held up the roughly-whittled stake with disdain and jeremy chuckled.

damon asked if he made it himself and jeremy nodded, claiming that it's harder than it looks. damon then threw the stake back at him and said, "it's really not." though his face conveyed that he was only teasing and jeremy grin slightly. damon then proceeded to tell the boy to get of their house and come back with a better stake if he wanted a chance and jeremy laughed but left. sif smiled at the interaction. maybe there was someone who wasn't against damon. 

[A/N: I should stop making promises. I'm gonna stop now. I should put a disclaimer. VERY SLOW UPDATES TO BE EXPECTED PLEASE. But at least I did it. I completed the chapter, even if it took me so long. Hope you like it!]

words: 5002

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

-Katie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 129 29
The Unknown Salvatore is about this 17 year old girl, Addison, who moves to Mystic Falls to meet her father, Zach Salvatore. When see gets to Mystic...
2.3M 86.4K 84
◌¨̮͚ *. stefan salvatore comes to mystic falls with one thing in mind; elena gilbert. instead, he finds himself enamored with athena hunt, and realiz...
7.4K 188 14
In this story Elena never was sacrificed for a ritual for Klaus. Klaus' werewolf side was never dormant. When he came to town he was just trying to f...
2M 49.3K 34
❝Only three things are infinite: the universe, human stupidity, and my hate for Damon Salvatore; and I'm not even sure about the universe.❞ In 1864...