Different

بواسطة idksomethingnotlame

Claire Lupin has always been different. It was an almost inexplicable difference, but it was always there. An... المزيد

prologue
dementors
hippogriffs
potions
tea
falling
fights
stories
explanations
christmas
traitor
dungbombs
slaps
shrieking shack
understanding
lyall
birthdays
premonitions
light
reunions
voices
professor moody
dreams
waking up
goblets
panic attacks
intrusive thoughts (!)
duels
Visits
Curses
partnerships
dances
Black Lake
graveyards (!)
breakups
midnight runs
bleeding eyes
presents
birthdays
invisible
quidditch
concussions
breakouts
fights
snakes
christmas
found
hallways
mother dearest
brothers
suffering
vows
home
amortentia
revelations
necklace
threats
fear
safe house
found you
fixing wardrobes
potions
concussions
mother's love
chocolate
constellations
parties
Astronomy Tower
hospital wing
tension
packing
heightened emotions
legal age
family quidditch
blood loss
weddings

poetry

140 10 4
بواسطة idksomethingnotlame

Daphne didn't have a funeral. The Daily Prophet didn't mention her death. It was like nothing had happened to her.

But Daphne Greengrass was dead even if no one would acknowledge it.

Harry went to stay with the Weasleys. Claire didn't respond to his letters. In fact, the only person she responded to was Hermione. The girl had been the first to know what happened after that night. Hermione had stayed with the family since then, both girls too depressed to get out of bed most days. Claire didn't ask questions about their relationship, just letting Hermione cry on her shoulder.

Anytime she closed her eyes, Claire could see Daphne's dead eyes staring right at her, her screams in her ears.

Sirius had left on his mission, although he had begged to stay. Dumbledore told him it wasn't possible, so the man had to leave his family when they needed him the most.

Claire had been so angry that morning. She had woken up from her vision sobbing in Remus' arms while the others looked at her with worry clear on their faces. She had scrambled out of her father's arms, making it outside and far enough into the woods until she could explode. She could feel the power ricocheting off of her, snapping the trees in half until she was left kneeling in a clearing, the forest silent.

She thought that it would make her feel better, but it was just a reminder that she could have saved Daphne.

That Daphne died because of her.

Remus was treating her like a child, but she didn't mind. He brought her breakfast in bed, reminded her to shower, and made sure she was actually eating. He didn't judge her when she threw the only letter that Draco could send her right into the fireplace, and he didn't say anything when Harry and Ron came over to see the girls and she barely responded to any of their questions, just sitting there and staring out the window.

Daphne had loved wildflowers. Claire and Hermione were the only two people to know that Daphne had a tattoo on her ribs that she had gotten in muggle London. Looking outside at the flowers everyday was a stab in the heart. Luna was running around and jumping through the flowers, meowing happily to let her owner know that they were just flowers. They wouldn't hurt her.

"We can cut them down."

Claire jumped and then shuffled over to give Regulus space to sit next to her. She pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her head on them. Hermione had gone with Remus, Harry and the Weasley family to get school supplies, but Remus thought it would be better for Claire to stay home. She hadn't washed her hair in almost a month, so he was probably right.

"She had a tattoo. Of wildflowers. She loved them because they were wild and free, not held back by anything. I told her not to get it, that she was crazy but she did anyways."

"She seems like she was just as wild and free," Regulus guessed. Claire grinned a little and nodded, pushing her hair back when it blew into her face, cringing at all the knots. Luna jumped up next to her, curling up and falling asleep while Claire absentmindedly started to pet her.

"I just don't understand. Why did they kill her? I hadn't even talked to her all summer, she's never been to where I've lived. She was innocent," Claire croaked out.

"The Dark Lord is violent and unpredictable. From what you've said, Daphne fought back against her mother and the Death Eaters. He would have killed her one way or another, but he was putting on a show," Regulus explained, a bitterness deep in his voice. His leg had started bouncing and he kept looking at the ground.

"A show for who?" Claire questioned.

"You."

Claire bit her lip and nodded. Voldemort would know that something that big would cause a vision.

"He was warning Draco and the others," Claire guessed. Regulus nodded, his jaw tense.

"When I was seventeen and fresh out of Hogwarts, I was eager to fully join the Death Eaters. But I couldn't stand most of them, and their reasons just didn't make sense. So I started researching and I decided that I wanted to make a change. I never fully agreed with the Death Eaters, and years of massacres with no cause or success were weighing me down."

Regulus was trying to hide the shake in his voice, but Claire knew the signs. She saw his leg twitching, the way he couldn't make eye contact, and how he kept picking at his nails.

"I had a girlfriend, Catherine Avery. I started telling her my ideas, and suggesting that we run away. But she made the mistake of writing everything down about her plans to escape. The night that she died was the night I went to that cave. The night that I drowned."

"You don't have to tell me this," Claire assured him. He looked at her for the first time, giving her a small grin that turned into a grimace and then shaking his head.

"I knew that she was dead and I would be too if I didn't run. I knew about the Horcrux and I knew where he had hidden it thanks to Kreacher. I was planning on giving the information to Sirius and then running far away with Catherine, but the Dark Lord took that away from me. The worst part is that I died for nothing and people will never know the truth."

"Reggie," Claire started but he just cleared his throat and shrugged.

"When I came back to life I tried to forget Catherine. But I didn't know how I could live in a world where everyone thought I was evil and she was gone. But then I got the family that I always dreamed of, and the pain is bearable now," Regulus concluded. His eyes were dark and clouded with tears, but he refused to cry. "You'll never forget Daphne, but one day you'll wake up and the pain won't bear down on your chest quite as hard. And the next day it'll be even better. But for that to happen, you have to know that it was not your fault. It was that dickheads fault, and he'll pay for it one day. But until then, you have to be strong."

"I'm trying. But these thoughts are filling my head everyday and they won't leave," Claire admitted.

"I first tried when I was thirteen," Regulus admitted. Claire looked at him with wide eyes but he looked almost peaceful. "I tried again when I was sixteen. But every time that I got close to Death, I just got scared. When I died, I was terrified like I've never been before. I know that you've fought those thoughts before, and you will have to keep fighting them. But as someone who died, it's easier being alive. Much easier."

Regulus never talked about being dead. He would ignore someone if they asked him anything, so Claire was surprised that he gave her that little bit of advice.

A quiet knock shocked them, making them jump and turn to see Remus standing there. He gave them a kind smile, which was the first time he had done that to Regulus. The two men shared a knowing nod before Regulus stood up, ruffling Claire's hair before he left. Remus took his place, pulling Claire closer to him until she was resting on his chest. Remus shooed away the cat and let her play in the field.

"Hermione decided to stay with the Weasleys until Hogwarts started," Remus said quietly.

"She told me this morning," Claire informed him.

"How are you?"

"I miss Sirius," Claire admitted. Remus sighed and she could feel him shudder a little. She knew the feeling well because she had felt it all summer. There was an uneasiness and she would sometimes feel a strong burst of emotion or pain that didn't belong to her. She knew that Remus felt the same way. "They're not winning, are they?"

"Sirius is fine," Remus assured his daughter.

"How's Harry?" Claire asked.

"He's worried about you," Remus answered. "I assured him you're fine, but he tends to worry, especially after you destroyed half a forest because your best friend died. He saw your Malfoy at the store too when we were getting new robes, and they always makes him upset."

"What happened?"

"Well, Malfoy was extra kind to me, for some odd reason," Remus said teasingly. Claire blushed and hid her grin in his side. "But Madam Rosmerta touched his left sleeve and he went off. Harry confronted him and asked about Daphne, which made Malfoy freeze. He mumbled an apology and then left with his mum."

"He's not a Death Eater," Claire insisted, but she wasn't sure who she was trying to convince.

Draco Malfoy was a Death Eater and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

————————-

The three Slytherins looked horrible. All three boys looked like they hadn't slept all summer, their eyes dark and their cheeks sunken. They stared down at the ground as they walked, making students and parents alike move out of their way. Their parents had left already, but there were eyes watching them, which is why they didn't look at Claire as they passed.

The girl couldn't look at them either. All she could see was the look on their faces as they watched Daphne get murdered.

"It's not right."

Claire looked over at Hermione and frowned. The Gryffindor has puffy, red eyes that made her look small. Ron gave her a comforting smile but Hermione couldn't reciprocate it.

"What's not right, sweetie?" Mrs. Weasley asked kindly.

"They're just walking around like they didn't kill her," Hermione choked out. The elder Death Eaters were all eyeing Claire and Harry, but they had basically the whole Order surrounding them. Sirius was yet to return, and they hadn't even gotten a letter. Remus looked exhausted, and he kept glancing around with anxiety clear on his face.

"You guys don't know anything," Remus reminded them.

"We know," Harry assured him. Remus nodded and then instructed everyone to say goodbye. Claire hurried through her goodbyes and then rushed onto the train.

"I can't...we have to go to the meeting," Hermione sighed.

"I'll go find Neville and Luna," Harry said sadly. Claire handed him the cat Luna and let him take her to their compartment.

"I can't look at him. How am I supposed to get through a whole year of this?" Claire asked.

"I'll do shifts with Malfoy," Ron offered. "That git doesn't mess with my best friends like this."

Claire shocked herself by wrapping Ron into a hug. His face was a bright red when she pulled away, and she rolled her eyes.

"I don't think people will be giving Claire too many problems," Hermione teased. Claire furrowed her eyebrows and noticed how more boys were looking at her as she passed, one of them actually winking.

"What's happening?" Claire questioned.

"You grew into yourself over the summer," Hermione explained. "You might not feel it, but you look more confident. And you look hot."

Claire blushed and ignored her friend, sitting down in the meeting room and waiting for it to start. Draco came in right before it started, not looking at anyone. Claire tuned out all of what the Head Boy and Girl said because she was focused on ignoring the blond. She littered a response to Hermione about sitting with them once the meeting was over and tried to leave, but the door closed before she could make it out. Draco used his wand to lock the door, leaving the two of them alone.

Claire fully looked at the boy and could do nothing but frown. He was skinny and paler than usual, his eyes red and swollen.

"I have to tell you something," Draco said, his voice soft and comforting. A loud slam on the door shocked the two.

"Open it, Malfoy!" Ron yelled. Claire hesitated before nodding at the blond, who rolled his eyes but unlocked the door. Ron and Hermione looked concerned and tried to grab Claire.

"I need...I need to hear him out," Claire mumbled. Ron tried to argue but Hermione just shook her head, knowing that Claire wouldn't be leaving until she was able to talk with Draco. Ron scoffed but left, slamming the door shut.

"Overdramatic git," Draco scoffed.

"He knows that you were there that night," Claire said softly. Draco looked at her with wide eyes.

"You know?" Draco asked after a pause.

"I saw it as it happened. I saw you and Blaise and Theo. You were all there and watched her die."

Draco just nodded and looked at the ground, but she heard him start to sniffle.

"I've never seen anyone die in front of me before. I didn't even...Bellatrix woke me up and insisted I go downstairs. It had-had already started by the time I got down there. Mother was holding onto my wrist so I wouldn't interfere, but I couldn't watch. I don't...none of us are Death Eaters. It's just our parents."

"Show me your left wrist," Claire told him. He looked troubled and Claire repeated herself with more intensity. Draco slowly pulled his sleeve back to show that there was nothing on his left arm, not even a single trace of ink. Claire let out a sigh of relief.

"I would never willingly join them," Draco promised. "I would never. I've changed since first year. You've changed me."

"I know," Claire assured him. She picked at her nails and then cleared her throat. "Where is she?"

"They tried to leave her there as an example. But we took her and brought her to a field behind where Theo lives. We buried her there at night so no one would notice we were gone. We marked her grave and everything. I'll show you the first chance I get."

"I just can't believe she's gone," Claire said, fully breaking down and starting to sob. Draco hesitantly sat next to her, breathing out a sigh of relief when she leaned into his side. "I almost forgot this morning and I was looking for her on the platform. I just don't know how I'm supposed to live my life without her smile."

"She would want you to be happy still," Draco reminded her. "She was overwhelmingly optimistic. She would see the good in this."

"How can Death ever be for good?"

Draco didn't have an answer so he shuffled until he could reach his bag and pulled out a book. He started softly reading to her a book of poetry, all about loss and pain and love.

"What book is that?" Claire questioned.

"I wrote it actually," Draco said sheepishly. Claire gasped at him and he blushed. "I wrote it over the summer. I needed a way to express myself and what was happening around me. This way what worked best."

"What's your favorite?"

Draco flipped through until he got to the very end. The page was worn and had smears of ink.

"We are not born with our thorns. They grow because of the hands we've learned not to trust."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

21.9K 1.1K 15
𝗜𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗮 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗹, 𝗶𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗝𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗲 𝗣𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲...
10.6K 319 37
*** A girl with a scarred brain who wanted nothing more than her brothers to be safe. A boy with scarred skin who wanted nothing more than the girl t...
2.6K 103 28
He swore to himself that he'd never love anyone, he swore that to secure his sanity he'd never fall for anyone. It changes when he meets a mischievo...
1.3M 46.8K 53
Discontinued "How does it feel to be the daughter of such an influential celebrity?" "Influential? The man practically only came...