Scars

By bismuthisbestgoat

Scars don't go away. There's always a trace. Whether that applies to WWII, or the pain of betrayal. Six years... More

Prologue (After WWI)
(1933-1939) The Rise of Reich and the Road to War
(1939) The Inevitable Happens
(1940) Invasions, Love, and Bonding Time
(1941) Awakening Two Sleeping Giants
(1942) Open Your Eyes
(1943) Breakthroughs and Revelations
(1944: Part 1) Allies
[1944 (Part 2) - 1945] The Final Performance of Third Reich (ft. Imperial Japan)

(1945...and a glimpse to the future) A New World

540 16 124
By bismuthisbestgoat

Ah, here's the grand finale to this story. It's been fun, but all good things come to an end eventually.

May 8, 1945

Europe

Most of the fighting in Europe had ceased.

For all intents and purposes, the war was over.

And citizens in every affected country were out in the streets, cheering. The Allies were among them, relieved and happy.

Britain and France were waltzing out in the open. America and Australia held a drinking contest, with Canada and New Zealand keeping watch to make sure they didn't do anything stupid. Fascist watched his son mingle among his new friends, with a bittersweet look. Poland took to the skies, not caring if anyone saw. (Since most people were drunk, if anyone happened to spot him, it would be dismissed as a hallucination at best.) Romania and Bulgaria were just chatting. Hungary and Czechoslovakia were helping Austria move around. Anyone who wasn't present was in their own country.

Austria's coloring was restored, and the cracks were gone. Britain, France, and America had given him back his connection. While the three countries would still occupy his territory, they had promised to let him go once he got back on his feet.

Still, having spent so long with his life slowly slipping away, he was still regaining his strength and needed assistance to walk. He also got tired often, as he asked his siblings, "Can I sit down? You go hang out with your friends. I'll be fine, I promise."

Having nearly lost their brother, Czechoslovakia and Hungary acted as if he were fragile as glass and relucantly left him on his own. Austria simply witnessed the celebrations with a forlorn look.

"You okay?" Fascist, who was sitting next to him, asked.

"Not really," Austria admitted. "I'm as happy as everyone else that the war's over. It's just Reich."

"I'm not sad at all that he's dead," Fascist said. "But I'm not happy either. When Reich shot himself right in front of us...I was more concerned that my son had to see it. I was also angry that he did it with his child witnessing it. It wasn't until later that it really hit me. As much as I hate to admit it, Reich was once my friend. Combine that with my later experiences and now, I just feel numb."

"I'm numb as well," Austria stated. "And I hate it, because I should feel sad. He was my cousin that unfortunately lost his way. Czechy and Hungary are glad, but I can't bring myself to feel any joy that he died. I keep thinking, it didn't have to be this way."

"No it didn't," Fascist agreed. "But that type of thinking does you no good, Austria. All you can do is accept that it happened, and move on."

Fascist sighed, watching as Italy laughed at a joke America had made. "Just as I've accepted my choices. I wish I didn't have to force Italia into countryhood prematurely. But Reich made his threat, and it was the only way I could think of to save him. Maybe I should've tackled Reich instead. But I can't think of what if. Because those possibilities are no longer viable. I need to focus on the present. Like preparing Italia for his responsibilities in the future."

Fascist's shield appeared on his flag. "I'm taking some of the weight off his shoulders. But someday very soon, I'll hand full control over to him."

"Some advice," Austria stared him straight in the eyes. "It will be tempting to hold on. Just to spend some more time with your son. But don't. Dying is not a pleasant experience in itself, but it's even worse to watch your loved ones break down. I held on because of my circumstances. You, on the other hand, don't have a reason to hang around. Maybe a few days is okay, just to make sure Italy is settled. Then let go. Don't make your son watch you suffer."

"Alright," Fascist nodded. "I'll try."

June 5, 1945

Britain

East and West Germany sat side-by-side. Ukraine, Kat, and Belarus had agreed to watch over them until their circumstances could be decided.

East hugged a black eagle plushie. "What's that you got there?" Belarus asked.

"Mein vater gave him to me," he explained. "His name is Frederick."

"He looks soft," Ukraine noted.

East simply nodded. All his life, he had been raised on his father's beliefs. He wasn't sure what to think now that the supposedly evil countries were the ones helping him. West had an easier time accepting his new reality. After all, he was the more open-minded twin.

Then Britain, America, France, and Soviet came into the room. "We've come to a decision," Britain announced, although he didn't sound happy about that.

"Germany's been split into two," France said. "Britain, America, and I are occupying the western half. Soviet has the east."

America had a very conflicted look. "For what I'm about to tell you, I'm sorry. I tried for a better alternative. I really did. But this is the best I could do."

He exhaled. "West, you're going to stay with my mom and dad. East, you'll live with Soviet."

"Was!" West cried. He clutched his brother. "But I don't wanna leave East!"

"I know. I'm sorry," America said sadly. "But I did get Soviet to agree to visits. As long as I don't spread 'capitalist propaganda'."

Both the German geminis hugged each other tightly, not wanting to let go. "It's better than being separated forever," West muttered.

"Ich weiss," (I know.) East sniffed.

They reluctantly moved away. "Hey, that means you'll be our little brother," Kat tried to comfort.

East slowly approached his new parental figure, trying not to be afraid. Soviet bent down. "It's okay. I'll teach you the right way to rule."

All the capitalist countries in the room winced, watching as Soviet left with his children. West's lip trembled, causing France to give him a hug.

"I know. It's not fair. But it's the way things have to be. Maybe, I can't promise this, but maybe, Soviet will let your brother go someday. And you can be with him as much as you'd like."

West started to cry into his new mother's chest. Britain and America exchanged looks and went to join the embrace.

June 26, 1945

San Francisco, California, United States

Many countries were present, gathered in a circle.

All the necessary paperwork was in and it was time for the birth of the UN.

Shutting their eyes, glows began to emit from the representatives. It came from the symbols on the flags.

The countries present were: America, Argentina, Australia, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Britain, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Liberia, Luxembourg, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, the Phillippines, Poland, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Soviet, Syria, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela, and Yugoslavia.

Stars, shields, suns, moons, and so many other emblems burned with intensity. Soon, little specks of light floated off the countries and combined into a sphere up in the air. From the sphere, a body grew, including a pair of wings. The essence solidified and with a burst, the light exploded off, revealing a new representative.

The flag was blue, with a white map of the world, from the North Pole's perspective. Latitude and longitude lines covered the continents. A wreath made of olive branches surrounded the image. It was impossible to tell whether the organization was male or female.

The newcomer slowly looked up at all the countries in the room. Canada came forward with a friendly smile. "Hello, my name is Canada. Who are you?"

"The United Nations," the organization answered. They had a somewhat adrogynous voice. "From what I understand, you've just come out of a huge war and are looking to prevent more."

"Yes," America said. "But the war's not over yet. There's still some loose ends we have to tie up. Plus, one of the enemies is still at large."

"It'll take at least two more years to break into her land!" Australia exclaimed.

"Plus, when we told her Reich was dead, she just laughed it off and said she's now free to take over the world!" New Zealand said. "So we're dealing with an insane imperialist who won't quit and thinks surrender is below her."

China growled. "She was insane long before this conflict. If we want to take her down, it'll take some pretty hefty firepower."

America's eyes darted.

Suddenly the door opened, and New York appeared. "Hi, sorry to interrupt, but there's someone here who's waited a long time for this moment."

A winged country, white with blue borders on the top and bottom, slowly revealed himself. The Middle Eastern countries in the room gasped with recognition.

"Israel?!" Egypt exclaimed.

"W-W-We thought you were gone!" Lebanon sputtered.

"Where do you think I've gone off to?" Israel asked rhetorically.

America rubbed his eyes, then he looked again. "I thought I sensed something...New York, did you know?"

"I did," New York answered. "I would've shown him right away, but he asked to be hidden until the time was right."

"And how long ago did he come here?"

"I think about 1910."

America's eyes bulged. He then dragged his hand across his forehead. "Okay, don't freak out. If he intended to harm me, he would've done so already."

Israel came up to him. "I'm the State of Israel. I believe that Jews across the world, after all that's transpired, want somewhere where they can feel safe from the hate. I want to be that haven."

"But where will they settle?" Poland called out.

"Hopefully my sister's willing to share."

"One problem," Britain pointed out. "If I'm correct about whom you're referring to, all the surrounding countries will think you're imposing your will and get violent."

"Well, I'm not," Israel turned to the Middle Eastern countries. "I assure you that I have no intention of taking more than I will get."

They looked at him doubtfully. "Palestine's mentioned me?" Israel asked Britain.

"Only when she's angry. Never by name, though."

"Ah," the Jewish country looked hopeful. "Do you think you can make it happen? I'm already forming ideas on what my government will look like."

"It will take a few years, but yeah, I think you'll be a great country, Israel," America smiled.

July 1, 1945

Japan

Japan was reaching her limit.

Her mother's allies were gone, she was running out of supplies, she was losing territory at a rapid pace, and she still insisted she wouldn't lose.

It was honestly aggravating.

Something had to give.

"So what if Reich is dead? Too bad for him," Imperial sniffed. "I'm the last member standing, which just proves I'm superior."

Japan picked at her food. Imperial liked to talk about random topics during dinnertime, and they were mostly about the war. Taking things out of context and reframing them to feed her ego.

By this point, Japan just wanted to rip her ears off. Why did she have to be blessed with cat-level hearing? It didn't help that Imperial often got into graphic details when describing her exploits.

"Australia just landed troops. When will that continent learn, it's no use? Trying to pretend he's as strong as his annoying brother? At least New Zealand isn't so talkative. Ah well, I'll take care of him, like I always do."

Japan's ears flicked up. "They don't want your authority," she muttered.

"What was that?" Imperial asked.

Japan froze. Oh right, her mother had super hearing as well. But as she stared her in the eyes, she didn't feel afraid. Instead, power flowed through her veins, giving her the courage to finally take a stand.

"Enough is enough!" she screamed. "They don't want your authority! Why don't you get that?! That's why Australia keeps fighting! And New Zealand! And..." she released a breath. "And China."

Imperial narrowed her eyes. "That bitch keeps fighting because she's too stupid to realize when she's lost."

"No! She fights because she doesn't want you to take her over!"

"What has gotten into you, Japan? Did you hit your head or something?"

Japan felt anger bubbling on the inside, begging to be released. "You were the one who shielded me from your dark half, Mom! You placed a veil over my eyes and let me believe that you were my sweet, loving mother. But now I know the parts you tried to conceal. It took a fateful encounter, and some snooping in your office, but I know everything now! You're a sociopathic warmonger who loves blood and craves control. You don't care how many people die as long as you get the desired outcome! Even if it's our own people! You're even outright encouraging them to kill themselves! Does kamikaze sound familiar?! I'm not a country yet and even I know that's not how a country should rule!"

Imperial's face was scrunched up. "I don't like the way you're speaking to your mother, young lady."

"Well too bad! Because I don't care anymore what you think! You're leading us to destruction, can't you see?! The Allies will do anything to make you surrender! What will it take to make you fold?!"

Japan was breathing heavily. "I want this war over. But the only way that's gonna happen is if you surrender. I'm not talking to you until it does."

Japan jumped up and left the scene.

July 22, 1945

Potsdam, Germany

Britain, America, and Soviet were in Day Seven of their conference.

They'd been discussing a lot of post-war topics. What was to happen to the former occupied countries, putting criminals on trial, the like. But America had something in mind.

"Dad," America started. "It's clear that Imperial isn't going to surrender. And I don't want to have to kill a lot of people in order to force our way in. So...I think we need to give her an ultimatum."

"What are you thinking? What will be dire enough to make her submit?" Britain cocked his head.

"I think it's time to pull the bomb card."

Britain's eyes widened, as did Soviet's. "Are you sure? I know how much you don't wish to unleash them."

"And I'm still hoping to avoid that. I know Imperial doesn't seem to care a lot about her people...but maybe it's enough? Maybe the threat can make her back down?"

"It's worth a shot," Britain muttered. "But you realize that if she doesn't, you'll have to follow through."

"I know."

Soviet stood up. "You know, you didn't do a good job of hiding your plans from me. My spies told me everything."

"What?!" America exclaimed. "You were spying on me?"

"Don't act like you didn't do the same. Frankly, I'm offended that you didn't trust me with the information. And after all that talk about trust, too!"

"I didn't want those plans to end up in the wrong hands!"

"I'm your ally. And besides, I'm making my own bombs."

"Do you realize what these bombs are capable of, Soviet?" America gritted his teeth. "They can wipe out cities. There's a reason why they're an absolute last resort. If one country gets enough, they can destroy the world. So please, I know I can't stop you, but please use your bombs responsibly. Don't nuke one of your satellite states every time they protest."

"I don't need to. My army is enough," Soviet said smoothly.

"Maybe I should've told you," America admitted. "Then I wouldn't be such a hypocrite. But I wanted this kept secret. What happens if a country with little impulse control gets their hands on one?"

August 6, 1945

Japan

Imperial screamed.

It was an unholy sound ripping through her vocal chords. Pain like she'd never felt it coursing through her entire body.

Instinctively, she knew the source was from Hiroshima. That something had been dropped. She'd assumed the Allies would be too soft to carry through on their threat. And now, she had to face the consequences of underestimating them.

She felt like she was burning from the inside out, her skin beginning to tint red. Her legs grew weak and she collapsed. Blood gathered in her mouth and she spat it out.

"Mom?" Japan, having heard the noise, came into the room. She immediately jumped back and gasped. This was the vision she saw in her dreams...

"Mom! What's going on?!"

Imperial coughed out more residue. It was the atomic bomb, she'd been told that, but the pain addled her mind. "...I don't know. Something from the sky..."

The image of a giant bomb falling flashed through Japan's mind.

But wasn't a second one coming...?

She shook her head and said, "Come on, let's get you comfortable..."

Britain

Australia handed his brother another whiskey bottle. America had been trying to numb out the pain of his decision.

"I didn't want to, I didn't want to..." he kept rambling.

"I know," Australia sighed. "But the truth is, had we done this the hard way, we would've lost more people than those lost in the bombing."

"Are you scared of me?" America asked.

"No! Why?"

"I have a weapon capable of mass destruction. You saw what it did to Imperial."

"That's true. But I'm not scared. Because I know you'll never hurt me."

August 9, 1945

Japan

Imperial was still bedridden. Radiation burns covered her body and she was expelling blood. A fever ripped through her system.

Needless to say, she felt like she was in hell.

But illness or not, she wouldn't surrender! The Japanese were a strong people with the ability to shake off anything! This was no different.

Then her pain upped from "Inner Oven" to "Bathing in Lava".

It was worse. Much worse than the first time. She could sense the destruction, the screams of the dying, the sky lighting up.

Her skin felt like it was melting. She hurled up red with chunks in it. This was worse than hell.

But despite all that, Imperial was still a country. Since she was within her own land and the weapon was unleashed by humans, she would survive. Sure, she'd suffer from radiation sickness for a little while, but she would live.

Imperial knew at this point, the Allies meant business and they would keep dropping bombs until she folded. But her pride was still unbroken, it still wouldn't let her surrender.

"N-N-Never s-s-surrender..." she mumbled. Weakly she reached out and opened a drawer. In it was a knife.

Imperial had once said she'd rather die than surrender. And she meant every word of it.

She dragged the knife across her wrist and the vein opened, spilling blood. Then another slit, the other side.

The knife slipped out and clanged to the floor. Japan's cat senses picked it up and she went into Imperial's room. "Mom?!"

Japan began to tear up. Imperial had a satisfied smile, even as her life ebbed away. "You...won't...get...your...surrender."

"No no no!" Japan cried, horrified that her dream had come true.

With her remaining strength, Imperial turned to her daughter. "世界を征服する...日本."

And with that line, Imperial slumped down and stilled. Japan frantically shook her body, more and more streams coming out of her eyes. Then she sat down and cried.

Despite the note they'd left off on, the feline country still loved her mother. So she could not help but feel sorrow.

She also felt angry. Imperial had decided to kill herself rather than let go of her stupid pride. Leaving her daughter, herself, all alone, and their people abandoned.

Then she remembered the last part of the dream. The shadowy figure with different-colored eyes. If the rest of the dream was true, why not the ending?

She curled into a ball and awaited their arrival.

Britain

"How many countries has Imperial blocked?!" Australia exclaimed as his try failed.

They were trying to get to Imperial's country after the fall of the second bomb. But it seemed she'd cut off pretty much every member of the Allies from connecting.

America was hugging himself, accompanied by Canada and New Zealand. He wasn't happy that he had to drop another one. He kept telling himself that he had no choice, but it wasn't very effective.

"Let me try," he sighed, even though he knew he was the last country Imperial would want on her land. The forty-eight stars on his flag glowed, and, much to everyone's shock, succeeded.

"How's that possible?!" New Zealand inquired.

"I don't know," America shrugged. "All I know is that briefly, I felt her blocking me, but then suddenly, she was gone."

Canada tried and he opened one too. "Huh. Seems like she took off the restrictions."

"Well, let's go," Australia beckoned.

The four siblings entered through the portal. The country dimension was intact, because all the damage happened in the human world.

America was silent as they searched for the Asian empire. "This must be her house," New Zealand noticed.

"Then let's find her," Canada pushed through the unlocked doors and they spread out.

America heard some faint crying and he followed the sound. Slowly, he cracked the door open and his eyes widened.

Imperial, her wrists sliced, was lying down on a bed, not moving. And curled up on the floor was a little country, the source of the crying.

The cat ears and tail were a dead giveaway on who the child belonged to. And it made America feel even more guilty.

The little one's ears twitched, detecting his presence. "Go ahead. Do what you wish with me. At least this time, I'll get to find out."

The red, white, and blue nation decided to find out what she meant later and came closer. "It's okay. I won't hurt you. At least not more than I already have."

The child looked up, revealing a girl of eleven years. A red dot in the middle of her white flag. She stared at him with teary eyes filled with recognition. "You're the figure from my dream."

"I'm the United States of America. But you can just call me America."

"You're...responsible for the bombs, right?"

"Yes! It was me! And I'm sorry!" America's voice broke. "I developed the bombs in case a situation like this occured, but I didn't think I'd actually have to use them! Now there's pain, destruction, and death...and I'm the cause of it."

America had tears in his eyes. "I know it doesn't take back all the damage I caused, but know that I'm deeply sorry. And I want to help your country rebuild. I was hoping to talk to your mother, but it looks like it's too late for that."

Japan's lip trembled. "I don't blame you. I begged her to surrender, but she wouldn't. I was afraid something terrible would happen! And now, she's left me and our people alone!" Fresh sobs tumbled out of the poor girl's mouth.

"I always knew pride would come before a fall," America paraphrased. "I don't know how many times I told Imperial her pride would bite her in the ass. And when it did, she committed suicide. The coward's way out. So much for being superior."

America got down on his knees. "Can I...hug you?"

He was met with the little country practically throwing herself at him. She wept out all her emotions, her grief, her anger, her sorrow. Slowly, her sobs turned into hiccups, and then silence.

America lifted up the girl, now snoring, having cried herself to sleep. "Come on. Let's get you out of here."

"Ame! Where are you?!" New Zealand's voice called.

"I'm coming!" Securing Japan against his chest, America left the room.

September 6, 1945

Britain

Japan sat down in a chair, kicking her legs lightly. Italy stood behind her for support.

She'd been delighted to see him again, and congratulated him on winning the war. Italy had laughed and explained that he was hardly the only country that beat Reich. But he'd take it anyway.

She'd been staying at Britain's until who took custody of her could be decided. There, she'd also been reunited with West. He'd been mopey without his twin, but she was able to cheer him up.

Today, she'd been told that someone had finally taken her in and now, she was waiting for them to pick her up.

"You nervous?" Italy asked.

"I just wish I could stay with you."

"As much as I like the idea of you being my little sister, my dad and I can't handle another person while we're cleaning up Italy."

Italy then assured, "But hey! Wherever you go, I'll visit. You can still be my sister in spirit."

Japan smiled and said, "That sounds nice, Italy-kun."

Britain then appeared at the doorway. "Japan, your guardian has arrived."

After him, was America. "Hey, Japan."

"You're the one adopting me?" Japan asked.

"Yes," America kneeled down so they were at eye level. "Maybe I am just trying to clear my guilty conscience by raising you to be a good and prosperous country, but listen: I am not trying to replace your mother. I'm simply filling in until you're old enough to handle yourself. I'm also the closest country near you who was actually willing to take you in. Any others...too much bad blood between them and your mother.

"Since your mother is gone, they're directing their anger towards you. You'll have to deal with that all your life. I promise I'll try to be a good guardian, and I can ensure you'll never be alone. My states and territories will love you to bits. My siblings will love having a niece to dote on. My parents will spoil you. You'll make a lot of friends, Japan. It won't be the isolated life you had before."

Japan put a hand to her mouth, tears spilling. "You mean it?"

"I swear by my Founding Fathers that I'm telling the truth."

Crying happy tears, Japan jumped into her new guardian's arms.

Italy clapped. "Congrats, sorellina." (little sister)

September 10, 1945

Austria

Austria sat with Czechoslovakia and Hungary, watching the sunset. It felt nice to be in his homeland again. Every breath reminded him he was alive. After his near-death experience, he resolved to cherish the new life he'd been granted.

"Mom?" They turned around to see Slovakh, nervously clutching her arm. She'd been annexed back into her mother. "Can I sit here?"

Czechoslovakia scooted over to make room. "Of course."

The mother, the uncles, and the daughter sat in silence. "It's nice, isn't it?" Austria commented.

"It is," Hungary agreed.

Soon enough, they would have to face the reality that Czechoslovakia and Hungary had both been transformed into communist satellite states, along with most of Eastern Europe. But not now.

"I've got some news for all of you," Czechoslovakia announced. Her hands rested on her belly. "Slovensko, you're going to be a big sister."

For a moment, everyone blinked. Then erupted into cheers.

Austria laughed as he embraced his sister. The war had taken so many lives. It should be only fair that new lives be born.

India

Back to business, India thought as her people assembled once again to protest. Maybe now that Britain didn't have his attention so divided, she could win her freedom soon.

China

Now that the pig is dead, let's get to work.

There was a lot to be done. She needed to spread the communist teachings across the whole land. If she wanted a communist government, the whole population needed to know.

But she had time.

"Sister?"

China turned to see a flag identical to hers. "Taiwan?"

Romania

"What is this, an Axis power reunion?" Bulgaria joked.

"Too soon," Romania laughed.

The two countries clinked glasses of wine and chatted and drank all night.

Palestine

Palestine's brow was raised as she was met with a face she hadn't seen for decades. "Brother? What are you doing here?"

"Fulfilling my purpose," Israel answered.

Africa

"Alright, who wants to bet on CAR being free before Chad?" Kenya called out.

A slew of hands were raised. "Wow, that's a lot. You know what? I'll pick randomly...Algeria!"

Morocco rolled his eyes. "This is childish."

Poland

Poland, his wings spread, oversaw his land. Things are far from over, Soviet. I'll break free. Just you wait.

The Netherlands

Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands were playing a game of War.

They all placed down a five. Then three more cards, flipped over. Then one more.

Seeing that Belgium had an ace, the two other countries handed over their cards. She grinned as she collected them.

Switzerland observed this. She's a fine player in the game of War.

Finland

"Finland!" Denmark greeted. "I'm glad to see you again!"

"As am I," Finland said back.

Norway popped in. "Ah, it's been too long since the Nordics were together."

"What about me?" Sweden arrived.

"Group hug!" Norway shouted.

Italy

Reich and Imperial are dead. Guess that means I'm the only member of the original three left.

Fascist mused to himself as he sat on the porch of the home he and Italy owned. He could hardly believe it was all over. Sure, it was only six years, but it felt longer to him.

"Dad?" Italy appeared at the doorway, holding a bowl of ricotta. "Dinner's ready."

"I'll be there in a little while," Fascist said. "I don't want to torture your poor stomach further, so go ahead without me."

He gave a sad smile. He hadn't told Italy of his plans yet. But he was planning to very soon.

Hawaii, United States

Hawaii stepped out into the beach, feeling the salt water over her feet. She'd recently received an apology from America for the circumstances on how she became a territory. She'd long stopped being angry over it, but she thanked him for the sweet gesture.

Alaska sat on the porch of her house. It was a little warmer than he was used to, but he supposed that came with being on an island.

He still thought of his younger brother, on how he was doing. Oh well, when America got home, he'd have to ask.

Russia

East was still getting used to his new house. It was very crowded with the amount of siblings he now had, so things were constantly hectic.

Russia, Ukraine, Kat, and Belarus were having a conversation. "I can't believe you all got to represent yourselves at the United Nations!" Kat blared. "And I didn't."

That doubt that she was Soviet's daughter reinstated itself.

Ukraine put her hand on her shoulder. "We can ask Father if you can represent yourself."

Russia clicked his tongue. "I don't know, I think he said that only the most important satellite states could do so."

"That's not fair!" Belarus cried.

Kat was hurt. "He thinks I'm not important? I'll show him!"

Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia, now all teenagers, were not pleased to be ripped away from the pleasant circumstances they had lived in back in Britain. So they were secretly planning something.

Soviet, meanwhile, took a walk throughout his land, reflecting on all that had happened. His heart still hurt from all the trauma he'd endured, and he was sure he was going to feel it for a long time.

But now, it was time to move on to the future.

Maybe it was about time he revisited his goal of going into space

Greece

Great. I just got back from war, only to be thrown into another one.

Greece sighed. "I can't ever catch a break."

The Phillippines

"Alright, now that I'm independent, time to construct myself!" The Phillippines said.

The Korean Peninsula

"Home," South said wistfully.

"I'll remind the world of how glorious we are, Mother. I promise," North vowed.

South America

The South American countries were holding their own celebration to commemorate the end of war.

Brazil raised his glass. "À paz, todos!" (To peace, everyone!)

Turkey

I'm happy you're safe, Avustrayla, Turkey thought as he sat on his prayer mat.

Australia

Australia and New Zealand were enjoying the peace and quiet. "Man, I do not miss war," Australia mused.

"Hopefully it'll be a long time before we have to fight another one," New Zealand said.

"Especially now that we have a new niece. I want to do everything an uncle should do."

"I'll enjoy having another girl in the family."

Canada

"My land!" Canada gushed. "Oh, how I missed you! The syrup, the moose, the snow!"

He grinned. "I can't wait to show my new niece everything Canada has to offer!"

France

"You live here?" West asked. "But aren't you and Britain married?"

"Marriage or not, I still have my obligations to my country," France explained. "They require me to be here. It's only a few days a week. I spend the rest of my time with my husband, and even while I'm here, he often stays with me."

Britain smiled and took her hand. "And I wouldn't have it any other way."

They proceeded to kiss, causing West to cry out in disgust.

The United States

"Home sweet home!" America said. He then backtracked to his companion. "Um, I mean, if you want it to be. I don't expect you to ever call this your home, but if you're willing..."

Japan rolled her eyes. "Who says I can't have more than one home?"

"Ah!" America ruffled her ears, causing her to giggle. "Good answer."

He then opened the door and promptly got blasted in the face with confetti. "Ow!" he cried, rubbing at the colorful specks of paper.

"Sorry," Texas grinned sheepishly. "Guess I misjudged how close you'd be."

He then noticed Japan. "Who's the little miss?"

"Well, this is my new ward, Japan," America introduced. "She'll be living with me until she's old enough to run her own country."

"Well howdy!" Texas shook her hand. "I'm Texas. And I'm just one of the many uncles and aunts you'll gain in a minute. They're all inside."

"Did you guys set up a party?" America asked.

"We put together one both for your return home and to celebrate the end of the war, but I guess it can also be about the newest addition to our family."

Family. That sounded nice to Japan.

"Well c'mon!" Japan grabbed her guardian's hand and pulled him inside. Balloons and streamers were everywhere. Food had been set up on tables. "I want to meet everyone!"

Just as America had promised, the states absolutely adored Japan. She loved having her cheeks pinched, her nose booped, and her ears petted.

New York laughed as she had her turn with Japan. "One of these days, I'm going to take you on a tour of NYC. We'll paint the town red!"

Soon enough, the little country had tired herself out. America picked her up. "Thanks for doing this, but someone's ready to go to bed."

Japan shook her head, even as she yawned. "Not me!"

America chuckled. "Your body language says otherwise. I'll let you say goodbye to everyone, but after that, nighty-night!"

One by one, Japan bid farewell to each state as they left. Once she was done, she curled in her guardian's hold, exhausted.

America carried her to the couch. "Sorry that I don't have a bed for you yet. I'll get one as soon as possible. Until then, I hope you find the couch comfortable."

"It's okay," Japan assured as he lowered her in. He fluffed the pillows and pulled the blankets over her form.

"Need anything before you go to sleep?" he asked.

"Can you tell me a story?"

"Okay. What kind of story? Because I know a lot."

"The first one that comes to mind."

"Hmm. Okay, imagine this. Once, a long time ago, before either of us were around, there were just humans. Countries didn't exist. The concept of civilization wasn't even around yet. There were just groups of humans that lived separately. All they cared about was getting enough food to survive and pass down their genes. Then, one day, it all changed.

"One particular human, no different from the others, was just fetching water for his group one day. He slipped and fell into the river. As he couldn't swim, he thought for sure he was gonna drown. Instead, he saw something extraordinary.

"He found himself in a blackness filled with stars. With a beautiful maiden of green and blue and the occasional tan and white. Dressed in leaves, flowers, and vines. She was...Earth itself.

"She kissed him on the forehead and he came to. He found himself besides the river, not a drop of water on him. Although only he could see it, his skin was now paper-white. He could hear voices he couldn't hear before. And he was startled to find how similar they were to his own people.

"Slowly, he realized his purpose. He was meant to bring all the people together, because they could accomplish so much more than if they were apart. So essentially, he was the first country. Mesopotamia.

"Mesopotamia brought people from far and wide together. He figured out just what he was capable of, the discoverer of the country dimension. Soon, he built a great empire, the first of its kind. An amazing accomplishment for that era.

"Mesopotamia eventually had several children with humans. Those children grew up to be great empires of their own. And then they had children. And so on. It kept going, until right here, right now."

"But what happened to him?" Japan asked.

"Nobody knows. It's likely he died when his empire collapsed, we just don't know how exactly. Maybe one of his children murdered him. To this day, we're still wondering."

"Is this true?"

"Well, I can tell you that Mesopotamia did exist. But as nobody actually knows where we countries originated, several legends have spawned with possible beginnings. I'm just telling you my favorite version of the story."

America smiled. "His blood runs through my veins, and yours as well. He's the ancestor to all countries, past and present."

He looked at his hand. "I like this version because it explains so many things. If we really did descend from humans, it would explain why we're so much like them. Why are we able to interbreed with humans. Why we think like them. Why we have emotions."

Japan touched one of her ears. "Where do you think the animal attributes came from?"

"Oh, there are so many theories about that! But it's late."

America looked out into the night sky. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, America."

As Japan nodded off to dreamland, a certain constellation caught America's eye.

It was an ursa minor.

He stared, then shook his head, wondering why that was significant. He saw that constellation every night; what was different about tonight?

But it still was important. He just couldn't place his finger on why.

Oh well. Off to bed!

May 9, 2015

Britain

Poland landed on the front porch and knocked on the door.

Britain opened it. "Greetings, Poland. I'm glad you could make it."

"Ah, you know I never miss Victory Day!"

Poland went inside, where a bunch of countries were already mingling. There were some familiar faces in the crowd. America and his siblings. Austria and Hungary. All of the now-former satellite states, excluding Russia. Romania and Bulgaria. Greece. The Nordics. The Phillippines, India with her new flag, Turkey, Israel with a six-pointed star. Brazil and his South American neighbors. The former African colonies of many countries. The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium. China, her flag having been replaced with yellow stars. Croatia. South Korea.

And of course, France, whom Britain hugged and gave her a peck on the cheek.

He went past Slovakh, now Slovakia, and her little brother Czech Republic. Then past a mural depicting photos of those who had passed on.

Czechoslovakia. Yugoslavia. Fascist. Reich. Imperial. And Soviet.

He and America had engaged in a bitter cold war for most of the years since World War II. Countless proxy wars, a race to reach space first, the time they had almost blown up the world...it was an anxiety-ridden time. Things finally settled in the late eighties, after Soviet had realized just how much of an asshole he'd been. Upon giving more freedoms to his children, they took the chance to break away. First, Eastern Europe. Then the Baltics. And the original satellite states. Kat had ironically been amongst the last to leave.

Soviet took his end with dignity, but made sure to make amends with anyone he'd hurt before passing on. His son, Russia, having inherited most of his father's land, seemed to be determined to make him proud...although maybe too much, down to having a rivalry with America.

East Germany had been especially eager to break free, and upon being reunited with West at the fall of the Berlin Wall, they decided to never be apart again. And so, they both fused into a whole Germany.

Said country was happily chatting with Italy and Japan. Their friendship had endured all this time. Germany was haunted by his father's actions, but he made sure to never forget them and gave himself reminders every day that he wasn't destined to be like Reich.

Japan lived with America until she was a full adult. During her time there, she discovered a love of all things cute and technology. She took cues from her guardian when designing her country and today, she was a prosperous country that didn't need imperialism to be powerful. She still mourned her mother, but only occasionally.

Italy had taken over from Fascist almost a year after the war. He was sad to watch his dad pass away, but the peninsula had done so peacefully, with a smile. He had mostly gotten over it in the present day.

Overall, while things were not perfect, they were certainly better.

America had made significant progress towards achieving true freedom in his country, down to getting a black president. Canada, Australia, and New Zealand were still Commonwealth countries, although Canada had his flag changed. Everyone agreed that the maple leaf suited the North American country much better.

Ukraine, her flag now yellow and blue with no sign of the hammer and sickle, kissed Canada on the cheek. She'd still harbored feelings for him long after the war. She'd only worked up the courage to confess shortly after the Chernobyl incident. Canada had agreed to a date, and now, they were a fully-fledged couple.

"Raise a glass to freedom!" America called out. He'd seen the previews of a new Broadway show and already had a ticket to the premiere. It had become an obsession, but everyone knew better than to complain, otherwise they'd face America's wrath.

"To freedom, Dad!" Japan echoed, lifting her cup of sake.

More countries repeated the response and hoisted up their drinks.

"Hey guys," America started. "Have you ever wondered what this world would be like if World War II never happened? It'd look a lot different. Reich sure scarred us all. Some of us, literally."

A few chuckles emanated throughout the crowd.

"But scars fade. As long as we don't reopen the wound. It takes time and effort, but healing is possible.

"Like Soviet. Reich scarred him in so many ways. It took a really long time, but he eventually began to heal. Even if it was only near the end of his existence. I hope wherever he is now, he's at peace.

"But if there's one country Reich scarred the most, it's Germany."

"Huh?" Germany said.

America looked at him. "You have to carry the weight of all your father's sins. You had to deal with the revelation that he wasn't the nice guy you thought he was. He's the reason why your halves went almost their entire lives apart."

"I guess when you say it like that..."

"And that's why you're strong, Germany. Because despite the scars, you carry on, be the great country you are. You prove why your father was wrong on a daily basis. Namely, that you don't need to conquer and scapegoat to be strong. A round of applause for Germany, please!"

Germany started to tear up at the praise he was receiving. "Woo! Yeah, Germany!" Japan gave him a bear hug.

"You're the best, Germany!" Italy did the same.

Germany grinned and embraced his best friends.

Figures they couldn't see were watching. "I'm happy to see Italia is doing well," said Fascist.

Czechoslovakia gave her brothers and children a hug they couldn't feel. "How I wish I could be here."

"I know. It's hard, moje dcera," (my daughter) said her father, Austro-Hungary.

German Empire looked proudly at his grandson. "Deutschland is the best of us."

Weimar Republic had the same expression. "He really is. But if Reich wants to see him, he needs to finish his service."

It was a known fact that every country has done good and bad. So there wasn't a heaven or hell. Every time a country died, they were in their own little place, hanging out. They could visit but not interact with the living world. But only after they admitted their wrongs, in specific detail, down to actual names and descriptions.

Fascist had been able to complete his service in two years, since he had already realized his sins and was eager to see his son again. Reich and Imperial...took longer. So long, that they still hadn't finished, seventy years later. Just getting them to admit their wrongs was a chore.

So not being able to see their loved ones was a punishment.

Soviet had been in a hurry to complete his service. His crimes spanned decades, so it was a while before he was able to see his children again. Right here, right now, was his first visit to the living world since his death.

He saw Ukraine laughing with her boyfriend. Kat and Belarus gossiping with each other. Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia chatting with Finland. Armenia and Azerbaijan staying as far away from each other as possible. Georgia keeping to herself. Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan eating together. And Moldova with her teen daughter Transnistria.

His eye was restored, not a scar remained.

"What a world," he mused to himself. He still had to visit Russia, but he could stay a little while longer.

He had nothing but time after all.

And that's it! Everyone's on stage, taking their bows to a cheering audience!

I would like to take the time to make some acknowledgements:

To my mom and Aba (dad), for encouraging me to pursue my talents.

To my grandfather, for proofreading this long before its publication.

To my history teacher, for providing the knowledge that I didn't get from Wikipedia. 

To MrGyozaDip, for your comments. I loved receiving them!

And finally, thank you all for reading this! As a first-time Wattpad author, it warms my heart to see the view count! And I didn't think I'd get such good reception!

Now...coming soon to your story listings...Scars Anecdotes and Other Stories!

It'll be a one-shot book set in this universe I've created. If you want to see something, contact me and I'll put it in!

But until then, the curtains are closed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

478 44 22
A fiction story for my discord friends UwU my English suck, ok? Started : 1/1/2021 Ended: 2/2/2021 already ended
79.9K 2.2K 40
Science says the kindest people are always the loneliest. The countries hate their jobs. Oh no, they loathe it. It's so bleak, so bland, so sad, so...
2K 231 20
The nations are sick of it, they're sick and tired of watching humans rule over them, use them as pets to destroy the world. Everyone has a breaking...
25.7K 580 11
"Help me..." I said but no words came out- it was voiced in my head. My body hurts, littered with scars.