The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

The Boy Without a Fairy

3.9K 92 92
By dragonrand100

Chapter 1
The Boy Without a Fairy

Deep within the verdant sanctuary of the Kokiri Forest, the sound of combat cracked a discordant note in the calm forest air. In a secluded clearing, two young boys clashed in a spirited mock duel. Forenz, the older of the two, wielded his blade with practised ease. The younger boy was Link. Resembling a puppy challenging a seasoned hound, the young boy attacked with fervent enthusiasm, audible grunts punctuating his every move. His limbs were a canvas of bruises, and sweat traced tracks down his dirt-stained brow.

It soon became clear that Link wouldn't be the victor. Forenz was pressing forward, forcing him back, and Link nearly tripped over his own feet. He tried to take in each suggestion, but his defence was getting sloppier, and soon, Forenz's sword grazed his arm in a clear strike.

It was another victory for Forenz, and it took all of Link's willpower not to take out his frustration on his wooden sword.

"Take a breath, and we'll try again," Forenz said, his kind voice taking away some of the sting of this latest defeat.

Link just nodded. Exhausted from a poor night's sleep and Forenz's relentless training, he felt out of his element. Waking up to discover a Skulltulla had invaded his home had been unusual, even by Kokiri standards. He might never have noticed the arachnid if not for its ember-like eyes and the distinct clacking of its mandibles.

The spider had narrowly avoided a forceful boot to its bulbous skull-shaped abdomen, its slender legs scuttling across the wooden floor. Link armed himself with a slingshot, but by then, the arachnid had fled.

Link firmly believed that someone had placed the spider there, which was no simple task. However, despite the brief commotion that woke his neighbours, there was no sign of the spider or the alleged culprit. If anything, the other Kokiri were more surprised to find Link up at dawn and less surprised by his unwelcome visitor.

"What, you think I'd stick my fingers near one of those things?" Mido, the leader of the Kokiri Elders, had exclaimed angrily when Saria, Link's closest friend, confronted him. "No way! He's making this up!"

And that was how Link's day had begun.

"Alright, let's try again!" Forenz announced, startling Link back to the present.

Barely deflecting a swing that grazed his shoulder, Link leapt away, almost stumbling over his own feet.

"Keep going!" Forenz encouraged, letting Link's mistake slide.

Regaining his composure, Link anticipated Forenz's next attack and successfully blocked it, their wooden swords colliding with a bone-jarring crunch. He danced away and launched his own attack. Though the tip of his sword nearly grazed Forenz's tunic, the older boy's agility thwarted the strike.

"Hah! Almost got you!" Link exclaimed. He'd been so close to winning that round.

"Almost," Forenz acknowledged, his cheerful demeanour replaced by a hint of concern as something caught his attention.

A murmur of voices on the breeze diverted Link's focus from the duel. Forenz, too, glanced over the younger boy's shoulder.

Three Kokiri entered the clearing, observing the sparring duo with curiosity. With a sinking heart, Link recognised them.

Forenz lightly prodded Link with his weapon, trying to get the boy to focus on the duel, but he didn't succeed. Link knew the three Kokiri at the edge of the training field hadn't just stumbled upon him out of idle curiosity, and as usual, he was unsurprised to hear a loud chorus of jeers as they mocked him, imitating his fighting style.

"Get him, Forenz!" one called.

"Yeah, get him!" another shouted.

"Just ignore them," Forenz mouthed.

After a loud "Hyaah!" followed by yet more laughter, Link struggled to concentrate as Forenz pressed his attack.

"I don't sound like that," he muttered, attempting to suppress his embarrassment, all too aware of his burning ears.

"Keep your eyes on me," Forenz advised. "I'll handle them."

Nodding, Link gritted his teeth as he lost his balance and nearly fell. His muscles ached from the awkward parries, every bruise making itself painfully known. Forenz deflected his thrust, executed a backflip effortlessly, and circled him to confront the other Kokiri.

"Alright," Forenz called out, blocking another of Link's thrusts. "The next one who insults Link can take me on. I'll give you till the count of five. One," Forenz blocked again. "Two..." Swiftly parrying Link's next jab, Forenz continued, "Three... What's that? You three can't count?" Link almost grinned at Forenz's taunt, but the sound of the boy's sword whistling past his ear in a near miss jolted his attention back to the fight. Link narrowed his eyes, knowing it was a feint to keep him focused.

The jeering from the other Kokiri faded into an awkward silence. Link caught a glimpse of the three bullies as they exchanged hesitant glances, unsure how to respond. They all knew Forenz would beat them in a fight. When Forenz saw this and suggested randomly picking one of them, they skulked away into the shadows.

Link watched them go, preoccupied by the constant torment he received at the hands of Mido and his friends.

Crunch!

Still unfocused, Link failed to notice Forenz's wooden blade striking towards his chest, pain exploding across his ribs. Stumbling backward with a pained grunt, he landed flat on his back, his breath knocked out of him.

"Are you okay?" Forenz asked, furrowing his brow in concern and lowering his weapon. "I warned you about getting distracted."

"Yeah... I know," Link wheezed, struggling to one knee and attempting to catch his breath. "I'm sorry."

Forenz extended a hand, and Link allowed himself to be pulled up again. All too aware of his wobbly legs and unable to help himself, he turned his eyes towards the trees where Mido's cronies had disappeared.

I doubt they've gone far, he thought.

"You want to stop for today?" Forenz suggested.

"No," Link replied, rubbing his bruised side. "Not yet."

Forenz snorted. "Alright then..." following Link's gaze, Forenz frowned. "Are they still bothering you?"

Link shrugged. "I guess."

"Is it Mido?" Forenz questioned with growing concern. "What's he done this time?"

"Nothing," Link said glumly. "But I know he sent them."

It was no secret Mido hated Link, as did most of the boy's friends. Their favourite game was 'Link hunting' or 'half-man chasing' as Mido called it, which was amusing when Link was the taller of the two. The game usually involved Mido, or his gangly cronies, chasing Link with Deku stick so they could whack him with it. Sometimes, they would start throwing rocks, forcing Link to clamber up a tree and out of range. Even now, he could still hear their taunts.

"Stop spying on us, loser!"

"Freak!"

"Coward!"

"Wimp."

"He's such a freak, not even a single fairy wants anything to do with him!"

"Not so brave now your girlfriend isn't here to protect you, are you?"

"Well, let me worry about bossy old Mido, okay?" Forenz interjected, startling Link back to reality. "Just focus on me and remember what I said about moving your feet. If you stand there like a tree, you'll get hit. Ready?"

"Uhh... yeah," Link replied absentmindedly, lost in that humiliating memory. He hadn't mentioned the incident to anyone, not even Saria, certain it would just make things worse.

Without a fairy, a companion bestowed upon all Kokiri as a symbol of their connection to the forest, Link found himself alone, a solitary figure amidst the Kokiri. Whenever he thought of this, Mido's taunts would whisper cruelly in the young boy's mind: perhaps there was something wrong with him, something that repulsed the benevolent fairies, maybe he was a freak.

"Alright, first to three hits!" Forenz's voice jolted Link back to the present.

"Ready?" Forenz challenged, his wooden blade held at the ready.

Without further warning, Forenz launched into a blistering series of strikes, his movements as fluid as the breeze rustling through the leaves. Link was caught off guard, his sword barely deflecting Forenz's assault.

Clack! Clack! Clack!

Link's frustration boiled with each parry, his swings becoming wider and wilder, each blow radiating pain up his sword arm. Forenz, sensing Link's growing desperation, shifted his strategy, aiming low for Link's shins.

Smack!

Link's legs buckled under the impact, and he plummeted into the damp earth. Forenz offered a hand to help him up.

"Remember, anger might help you, but it will also make you reckless," Forenz reminded him.

Still reeling from being knocked over again, Link nodded, his focus drifting towards the trees, feeling self-conscious as the mocking jeers echoed in his mind.

"Are you still thinking about those bullies?" Forenz asked, following Link's line of sight.

"No. It's nothing," Link said, trying to force a cheery smile to cover his miserable lie. "Let's keep going."

Before they could resume, a soft chiming sound drew Link's attention to the fairy perched on a nearby tree stump. Arden, Forenz's companion, usually maintained a distance during Link and Forenz's training sessions. While he didn't mind Arden hanging around, Link appreciated the gesture; he despised the constant reminders that he didn't have a fairy, especially now when so many Kokiri tormented him.

When Forenz and Arden engaged in a wordless exchange, Link knew they were communicating through thoughts- an intimate bond shared by fairies and their charges. Uncertain whether he liked the idea, in case he was the subject of their discussion, Link's curiosity overcame him. "What are you two talking about?"

"Arden was wondering why Saria insisted I train you so hard," Forenz admitted, breaking eye contact with Arden. He frowned. "It's strange, considering Saria hates violence."

Link agreed. It was unusual, but given the peculiar creatures in the woods- including his recently evicted roommate- and the aggressive plants, he wasn't inclined to argue. Some of the Kokiri could hunt, and sparring was a favoured pastime, although he knew most of the forest dwellers would struggle in a real fight.

"Good grief! What are you two doing!?"

An angry yell pierced the small training field. Link winced in recognition and turned to face a lanky, freckled boy who emerged into the clearing. He stomped towards them, his fairy hovering a short distance away.

"Hey, Mido," Forenz casually welcomed him before nodding at the boy's fairy. Mido halted before Forenz, looking as disgruntled as a bear with a toothache. Unfazed, Forenz continued, "What brings you and Mori here?"

Gesturing towards Link, he added, "We're sparring. Care to join us?"

Forenz extended his practice sword, hilt first, towards Mido, but the older Kokiri merely scowled.

"I don't think so," Mido replied curtly, pushing away the offered sword. "Who said you could be off practising all morning?"

"Saria did," Forenz reminded him patiently. "Remember? I've mentioned it about three times."

"Whatever. I want you two back in the village," Mido snapped. "Another hound is missing, and we need to find out why. That means you're helping me look."

Mido shifted his attention to the younger Kokiri, his face briefly contorting like someone who'd just eaten a lemon. "And you, go help Brynn or something."

He let out a snort and turned on his heels, storming off towards the village.

"That's the fifth hound to go missing since the last moon," Arden observed with a hint of worry, addressing both Kokiri.

"What do you think happened to them?" Link asked.

"Hard to say," Forenz replied. "Strange, I wonder why Saria and the Great Deku Tree couldn't find them?"

"I bet it's a ferocious monster," Link suggested, his voice soaring with confidence. "The kind the Great Deku Tree warns us about? I could take it on!"

Forenz chuckled. "Oh, really? Weren't you the one who freaked out when you found a spider in your tree house?"

"Did not!" Link objected.

"Not according to what I heard. Are you sure you're up to facing a giant monster?"

"With a little help," Link said, offering Forenz a meaningful look.

Forenz exchanged a knowing grin with Arden, prompting Link to quickly add, "That spider didn't scare me! It just caught me off guard."

"Really?" Forenz asked, his lighthearted banter easing Link's tension. "And what if we were talking about a truly massive, terrifying monster?"

"I'm telling you, monsters don't scare me," Link boasted, standing tall with newfound determination. He struck a mock battle stance to prove his point, oblivious to Arden's exasperated eye roll.

"Not this again," Arden muttered, but Link paid no heed.

"I am Link the brave! Fear me!" he shouted, brandishing his sword with a resounding, "Hyah!"

He swung his blade towards a nearby rock. With a loud, splintering crack, the blade fractured, its lightweight wooden frame succumbing to the impact. Link stared in disbelief, then shot Forenz an apologetic glance.

"Wow," Arden observed, sounding impressed. "Is that the fourth one now or the fifth? I'm losing count."

"Oops," Link offered, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Far from annoyed, Forenz burst into hearty laughter. "Well, Link the Brave," he chuckled, his eyes twinkling with mirth. "Those monsters will be running in terror."

After a moment, his expression changed, becoming more serious as he added, "Same time tomorrow? I'll have Arden fetch you."

"If he's awake," Arden chuckled, unable to help himself.

Link agreed, picking up the shattered remnants of his sword. "Yeah, okay."

"Good. Just keep out of trouble in the meantime, alright?" Forenz placed a supportive hand on Link's shoulder. "I don't want to hear that you and Mido have been at each other's throats again or that you've pulled another prank on him. I know the two of you don't get on, and I'm not asking you to become best friends, but you do have to respect him. That means no more sneaking a Deku Scrub into his house."

Link's temper ignited at Forenz's words, and it took every ounce of self-control not to kick the dirt in frustration. He glowered at a nearby clump of bushes, their leaves an unnatural shade of sickly yellow.

Forenz misread Link's silence as defiance and sighed heavily. "Mido will get over it soon," he assured him. "You know things have been tough for all of us lately, and yes, that includes Mido."

"That's the problem, Forenz," Link snapped, unable to hide his frustration. "He'll never get over it." He fixed his friend with a resolute stare. "Not as long as I don't have a fairy. He thinks there's something wrong with me. They all do!"

Forenz returned Link's gaze. "You know that's not true, Link," he insisted. "I don't believe there's anything wrong with you... isn't that right, Arden?"

Arden made an affirming noise, but a single glance at Link's expression told Forenz that his words were falling on deaf ears. It had been Link's tenth birthday not two moons ago. He had already outgrown his fellow Kokiri children and showed no sign of stopping. He had been certain that a fairy would come for him. Not even Saria's soothing words could completely dispel his anxious excitement.

Aware of the murmured doubts behind his back, taunted once again by Mido, and with his hopes crumbling into despair, Link ran away into the depths of the Lost Woods, tears streaming down his cheeks. Saria had found him huddled against a tree stump in the courtyard of the old temple. Gathering him in her tender embrace, she listened patiently to his tear-filled words and gently guided him back to the grove.

"You know," Forenz continued kindly, "Some of us have had to wait a long time for a fairy to choose us. Mido, for one, waited for a long time."

"He did?" Link asked, surprised.

"Yeah," Forenz confirmed with a nod. "Probably because he's a bit of a jerk, and I'm not denying that."

Link's expression turned sombre as he asked, "Did he wait as long as I have?"

Forenz hesitated, scratching the back of his neck with one hand. "Well," he admitted slowly, "Not quite as long, but that's not the point. Once a fairy and Kokiri bond, it's for life. There's no going back. So, can you see that it's no small decision?"

"Yeah, that's what Saria told me," Link mumbled in quiet acknowledgement, his eyes fixed on the ground.

"And Saria is right," Forenz continued, placing a reassuring hand on Link's shoulder. "Let's get going before Mido wonders what's taking us so long."

~ 0 ~

As Link and Forenz walked back to the village, the forest was shrouded in an unusual silence, and even the outskirts of the village seemed quieter than usual. Following the well-trodden path between the towering Deku trees, they passed fellow Kokiri who greeted Forenz warmly, but an odd tension hung in the air.

One Kokiri was talking to his friend who was leaning against a tree, "Great Father has asked the Kokiri in the other groves to move here. Why, though? Do you think he's worried about something in the forest?"

"I can't imagine what would worry him," replied the other boy, who looked up and waved at Forenz.

A rustling sound from the canopy above caught Link's attention. He looked up, noticing a younger Kokiri nimbly navigating a branch. The boy continued his ascent, merging with the walkways crisscrossing the canopy and earning a reprimand that echoed through the whispering boughs.

Except for the gentle clatter of bamboo wind chimes and the rhythmic sway of rope bridges suspended in the canopy, nothing more stirred in the trees above. Link knew that many of the others were busy tending to their homes or inspecting the rope-and-vine bridges that connected the neighbouring trees to form their bustling village. Yet, the absence of any usual chatter and activity unsettled him.

They emerged into a small clearing bisected by a narrow stream. A cluster of large hollowed-out trunks hugged the glade's edge, while spiralling staircases wound around the larger trees, leading to the rest of the village. Saria's house stood out from the others, distinguished by its usually flourishing medicinal herb beds. Today, however, wilted plants and a faint reek of decay hung in the air instead of the usual fragrant aromas, fuelling Link's growing tension.

After bidding Forenz farewell and promising not to venture into the woods alone, Link made his way back to his humble abode. Unlike those perched high above the forest floor, his home was a tall, hollowed-out tree near the gently gurgling creek. Ascending the ladder to his balcony, and not for the first time, he nearly smacked his head on the door frame.

~ 0 ~

As evening arrived, Link trudged wearily back to his treehouse, where Saria patiently awaited him. Despite teaming up with another Kokiri, an afternoon of fruitless hunting had left him disheartened and irritable. But the sight of his friend, clad in her usual green tunic and jumper, instantly lifted his spirits. Her leather satchel adorned her belt, with the clay point of a beige ocarina peeking out. She never parted with her beloved instrument.

"Link, the hunter, you're finally back," Saria greeted him warmly.

"The hunter and his invisible catch," Link replied, managing a smile.

"You must be quite skilled to capture something invisible," Saria teased playfully.

Link chuckled, but his tone turned serious as he recounted his hunting woes. "There was nothing in any of my traps. Not even the others had much luck. Brynn caught a few rabbits and squirrels."

Brynn was one of the few Kokiri who genuinely cared about Link, sharing jokes and stories as they roamed the forest.

"You must be famished after all that hard work," Saria said, trying to lighten the mood. "Fado made stew, and I helped her find some extra ingredients." Link's tired smile prompted her to add, "It smells delicious!"

A familiar laugh caught Link's attention. He turned to see a group of Kokiri gathered around a crackling cook-fire. Saria's expression turned sombre as she frowned.

"Is Mido being mean again?" she inquired softly.

"He's always mean," Link grumbled.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Saria offered, gesturing towards the ladder.

"No." In truth, Link felt utterly drained. A talk about Mido and his friends was the last thing he wanted right now. He knew that if he joined the evening meal, they'd probably offer him live worms again as a stupid prank, provided Saria or one of Link's friends weren't watching.

"Just a harmless prank, Saria!" Mido's friends would exclaim, feigning innocence.

All Link wanted right now was sleep. His head throbbed with a dull, persistent ache, and the rest of him was still sore from a long day.

"Are you alright, Link?" Saria asked, noticing Link's pale face.

"I'm just tired," Link replied, unwilling to admit he wasn't feeling well. He knew Saria's nurturing instincts would kick in, and he couldn't bear the thought of her fussing over him.

"How about some of that stew?" Saria suggested.

"I'm not hungry," Link responded a little too quickly.

Saria eyed him sceptically, her brow furrowed in disbelief. "Not hungry? That's not like you." She gently pressed one hand to his forehead, keeping him firmly on the spot with the other. Link instinctively tried to pull away, but her grip remained firm as she examined him.

"Saria!" he protested weakly, "I said I'm fine."

"Just hold still!" Saria scolded him. "Hmm... you're not coming down with anything. Did you forget to drink enough water again?"

"It's just a headache," Link replied, feeling a brief flush of annoyance at her assumption.

Saria lowered her hand, her gaze fixed on him with intense scrutiny. He could tell she didn't believe him. "Well... I'll come and check on you later. Fora can keep an eye on you, right?"

Her fairy nodded in affirmation.

"Good," Saria smiled, her expression softening. She gave Link one last look, her eyes lingering on the bruises that marred his arms. "Forenz and Mido have been working you far too hard. I'll have to talk to them... Get some rest, Link."

Link yawned and bid her goodnight. He climbed up the ladder to his humble abode, craving the solace of his bed. Entering his room, he collapsed onto the makeshift bed, and the world around him blurred as he drifted off to sleep.

~0~

Link dreamt that he was chasing a deer through the woods with a hunting bow at his side. The woods were dark, the branches so thick they blotted out the sun. Breathless from running, he tried to keep up with his quarry, just beyond his eyesight. A soft murmur of hooves whispered across a thick carpet of leaves.

He was close.

Saria would be proud of him for tracking an animal so well. Treading carefully, Link approached the gnarled root of an oak and peered around its ancient trunk. He gasped.

Just ahead of him was a majestic white stag. It stood tall and proud, its magnificent antlers and dark eyes a mesmerizing sight to behold.

A white stag?

Nobody was going to believe this. Excited, Link inched closer, wanting to get a better look. The stag dipped its head, sniffing at a small pool of water, its branching antlers nearly touching the water.

I bet Mido has never gotten this close to one, he thought with a rush of delight. Mido was far too noisy for this sort of thing.

CRACK!

A stick snapped under his foot, and Link's breath caught in his throat. The stag's head shot up, and just for a moment, its eyes met his.

In an instant, the dream changed. A bright light flashed across Link's vision, forcing him to shield his eyes. It was followed by a crisp bang that ripped through the night.

Rain fell in thick sheets, so heavy that Link was sure the water would swallow the earth around him. Fingers of bright lightning streaked across the sky, accompanied by the ominous growling of thunder.

Where am I?

Each flash of lightning revealed Link's surroundings for a brief moment. A field of grass stretched out towards the horizon, surrounded by distant mountains that loomed over the rolling hills. None of it was familiar.

When the last rumbling chorus of thunder died down, Link heard something else that sent his heart racing with fear. Amidst the deafening roar of the storm, screeching cries tore through the night like the cries of hunted, wounded animals. Only there were so many of them. Too many. Guttural calls and growls cut across those distant shrieks. The harsh, harrowing cacophony was unlike anything native to the woods, and a wave of crushing terror threatened to overwhelm the young boy.

He could barely breathe.

"Saria?" he mouthed her name, "Saria? Fora? Where are you?"

His voice came out like a thin reed as Link forced air into his lungs, trying to scream for help, for anyone.

Link turned, shivering from cold and fear.

Where am I? he wondered again, blinking the rain out of his eyes. What's going on?

The path Link stood on ended at a wide stream, beyond which rose an enormous wall of stone as high as some of the trees in Kokiri Forest. Could it be some kind of temple, like the forbidden one in the woods?

A gateway similar to the one that granted entry into the old temple stood directly in front of Link. There was no way of getting in now, for a drawbridge prevented any access to whatever lay beyond. There was an odd triangular symbol on the gatehouse, just above the drawbridge, and Link knew he had seen it somewhere before. It was all starting to seem vaguely familiar, but Link could not have said why.

A distant shout from the wall drew the boy's attention. The drawbridge began to lower, chains clinking loudly. From beyond the bridge, a red glow lit the sky, and it soon became all too clear what Link was seeing.

Fire.

Beyond the gateway was a long path lined with tall buildings, their wooden frames burning and crackling under the merciless flames. Smoke rose in a thick black cloud, like a forest fire. Link knew from stories just how deadly those could be.

Helpless to do anything, Link could only watch, trembling, his mind unable to grasp the magnitude of what he was seeing.

How do I get out of here? Link wondered. He wasn't even sure where 'here' was. He turned, wanting nothing more than to be away from this dreadful place and the howling tempest.

"Saria?" he called out, his cry lost amidst the storm.

"Link?"

At the sound of a small feminine voice, Link spun to see a fairy fluttering before his face, her eyes wide with terror. He stepped back in surprise. How had he not seen her before?

"We have to get out of here!" the fairy cried frantically. "Stop standing there and run! He's coming!"

"Who?" Link tried to ask, but he couldn't speak as fear stole the breath from his lungs.

The thunder of hooves echoed through the night, and Link looked back with a start to see a horse and rider charging towards him, its hooves already beating against the drawbridge. The rider, a tall, cloaked figure with a child seated in front of her, gripped the reins, but the terrified horse seemed heedless of the impending danger.

Link barely had time to react before the horse was upon him. He jumped clear, narrowly avoiding being trampled, and stumbled into the sodden earth.

He scrambled to his feet, head throbbing from the fall, and turned his attention to the horse. The taller figure was easily twice a Kokiri's height, while the young girl wasn't much taller than he was. She was wearing a black robe with a hood hastily pulled over the dress beneath it and her skin was a ghostly white, her eyes wide with terror. She met his gaze, and for an instant, Link was certain he knew her.

Then they were gone from sight, lost in the night.

"Please," the little blue fairy persisted, "Link, we need to flee! He's coming. Run!"

Deciding to heed her advice, his instincts sensing imminent danger, Link ran toward the white horse. He did not get far before a pounding of hooves drowned out the rumbling thunder, announcing ‌a second rider.

Don't look back, just run, Link told himself as the ground trembled beneath the horse's hooves, the sound growing louder and louder. Link stumbled, his foot catching on a rock. He fell, his head hitting the ground with a jarring thud that sent a jolt of pain through his skull.

"No!" the fairy screamed. "Get up!"

The drumming of the hooves behind him ceased.

Link scrambled upright, his head stinging, blinking back tears of pain. A jet-black horse towered over him, its head so close Link could smell its breath. He stepped back and stared into the eyes of the man mounted on the black steed. His unflinching gaze met Link's own with a malice that would have outmatched even the meanest of wolves. Before this mighty figure, Link was but an insect caught in a spider's web, unable to break free.

The man raised a gloved hand, revealing a strange gem encrusted on the palm of his gauntlet. A pulsating orb of light materialised in his grasp, brighter than a fairy's glow. It crackled with an otherworldly energy, its heat radiating towards Link from a distance.

With a flick of his wrist, the man hurled the orb of light towards Link. Link braced himself for impact as it hurtled through the air, but the blow never came.

Instead, the orb struck the fairy beside Link with a blinding flash. The fairy shrieked, her delicate form spinning uncontrollably in the air before collapsing at Link's feet.

Link stared in horror, unable to process the scene before him. The fairy's mangled body smouldered upon the ground, her light extinguished.

The rider, amused by Link's reaction, chuckled darkly. He raised his hand once more, the gem on his gauntlet radiating with the same ominous glow. Link knew what was coming.

A searing light erupted from the gem, blinding Link, and he screamed...

Link awoke, his throat raw from the intensity of his cry. The early morning light filtered through the window, casting long shadows across his room. He was drenched in sweat, and his heart raced faster than a hummingbird's wings.

The silence of the room was a stark contrast to the chaos of his dream, the echoes of the fairy's dying shriek and the man's cruel laughter still lingering in his mind.

He pushed himself out of bed, legs trembling as he tried to stand.

A creak from outside jolted Link back to reality. Someone was climbing the ladder to his hut.

Link's heart leapt into his throat, but his fear was unwarranted.

"'Link, are you alright?' Saria's voice called from the other side of the doorway. 'Fora told me you were yelling in your sleep.'"

"I'm fine," Link replied, his hoarse shout sounding unconvincing. It was just a bad dream."

Saria stepped inside, her concerned eyes falling upon Link's pale face.

"Oh, Link," she exclaimed, stepping towards him. "You poor thing. How about I find something to make you feel better?"

"I'm fine," Link muttered, avoiding her gaze. He didn't need any herbal broth; he just needed to shake off the remnants of his nightmare. Besides, they tasted weird.

"Well, in that case, why don't you come outside and get some fresh air?" Saria suggested. She glanced at the pile of dirty laundry by the bed. "You and I need to talk about that, mister, but not right now."

Link followed Saria out onto the balcony and sat by the ladder. They watched in silence as the eastern horizon turned a soft shade of pink. In the distance, Link could hear the chatter of insects, while in the canopy above, bamboo wind chimes clattered softly.

"It's so peaceful in the early morning," Saria said as she sat down beside Link. "You should try enjoying it sometime, sleepyhead."

Link grunted an acknowledgment, his mind still lingering on that horrid nightmare, far from the soft melodies of birds stirring from their slumber or Saria's soft voice.

Saria's smile wilted. She studied Link, noting his forlorn silence. "Is that nightmare still bothering you?" she asked rhetorically. "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

Link looked at his feet as he dangled them idly over the balcony's edge. He felt embarrassed, sure she would say it was just a silly old nightmare. Usually, Link would have agreed, but that last dream was something else. It was not the usual frightening nightmare that scared little children and prevented them from falling asleep once more. It was as if he had truly been standing there before that man on the black steed. Link told Saria almost everything, skipping the fairy's demise and the dream's end.

"Do you think it might have been... you know, seeing the future?" Link asked, finishing his tale. Without waiting for Saria's response, he continued, "The Great Deku Tree told me that some people can see the future in dreams."

That wasn't a comforting thought, and he wasn't convinced it made sense. "But it can't have been a vision," he continued, dismissing the notion and not waiting for a reply. We can't leave the woods."

"Do you honestly believe that?" Saria asked with an air of scepticism.

Link wasn't expecting this response. He had always wanted to know what lay beyond the Kokiri groves, to see the world and its many mysteries, but going near the forest's edge was forbidden. He knew that not everyone lived in tree houses like the Kokiri, but did they really live in great big stone buildings? And were they really as tall as that red-eyed woman and that man?

Eyes full of malice, the black-clad warrior stared, sneering at the terrified boy who stood before him.

A chill ran down Link's spine.

"I..." Link stammered in response to Saria's question. "Well, don't you?"

"Some say we can leave," Saria explained, "But if we do, the magic of the groves and the Great Deku Tree won't be able to protect us."

"Why?"

"Because his magic only reaches so far."

"Has anyone tried to leave?" Link persisted.

Saria contemplated her answer for a moment. "Plenty of Kokiri leave their groves from time to time, but nobody leaves the woods."

"What about from our grove? Has anybody left before?" Link asked.

"Only once that I know of," Saria replied. "They never came back." She slipped into a sad silence, looking crestfallen. "It's been a while since I mentioned that to anyone."

Saria smiled sadly as Fora came to rest against her shoulder. Her gossamer wings and glowing form reminded him of the sprite from his dream. Recalling her smouldering corpse, Link suppressed a frown.

"I wouldn't worry yourself," Saria said after a lengthy pause. "I'm sure it was frightening, but the mind can play tricks on you when you're worried or sick. It happens to me often enough... Tell you what, why don't I come and watch you and Forenz spar this morning?"

"Really?" Link piped up, his spirits lifting.

"Of course," Saria said with a warm smile. "We can practise the ocarina afterwards." She playfully tousled his hair, eliciting a noise of protest. "Go on. Get something to eat. I'll be along soon."

With that, Saria clambered down the ladder, and Link watched her stride up the path, his spirits lighter. He glanced at the doorway to his house, feeling a sudden chill and a sense of dread he couldn't place. His brief elation faltered.

It was just a dream, Link told himself, glancing towards Saria's house and swallowing.

Just a dream.

~ 0 ~

The dreams persisted, haunting Link night after night, casting a dark shadow over his once peaceful slumber. Each evening became an agonising cycle of tossing and turning, leaving him to dread the endless nights. Only a sleeping draught, carefully concocted from herbs found in the woods near the ancient temple, offered him a fleeting escape from the clutches of his nightmares.

Seeking solace as he often did when troubled, Link found refuge in the mysterious embrace of the Lost Woods. Although the depths of the forest were off-limits to him unless accompanied by another Kokiri, there was a secluded haven—a treehouse hidden from prying eyes. Positioned close to the Kokiri Forest yet distant enough to escape the noisy clamour of the Kokiri, Link's secret perch in the canopy granted him an unparalleled view of the vast woodland and the crumbling spires of the Forest Temple.

The ancient stone structure towered above the canopy, adorned with creeping leafy vines, lichen and moss. One of the lotus-shaped towers had succumbed to the passing years, and the others stood battered and damaged. The gnarled roots of an ancient tree embraced the temple's front entrance. At the centre of the old sanctuary, which held a plaza, the sprawling limbs of another tree reached toward the heavens.

Perched in his treehouse, Link could momentarily forget his troubles, idly watching the birds dance among the fluttering leaves. As the sky transitioned into a serene pale blue, casting deeper shadows, Link remained seated in his arboreal sanctuary, lost within the confines of his own tranquil world.

Yet, a sudden disturbance shattered that tranquillity—an almost imperceptible snarl that seized Link's attention. Alert, he steadied himself on the narrow walkway of his tree fort, peering toward the nearby trees. A scratching noise accompanied another snarl, announcing something small and misshapen that possessed a single bulbous eye. It was perhaps the most peculiar animal he had ever seen in the woods. It crouched on two legs, growling softly while surveying the bushes.

It dashed into the undergrowth before Link could take in much detail of its dark, insect-like carapace. There was an abrupt yelp of pain, a terrible snarl, and the sound of bushes being trampled amidst a ruckus. Then, a fox burst from the undergrowth, wounded and limping, with blood oozing from its injured flank.

Though Link scanned the surroundings for the assailant, all remained eerily still. The enigmatic creature, whatever it may be, had vanished without a trace.

"What was that?" Link murmured, placing one hand on his slingshot and peering into the woods. There was no sign of the fox either, and if it had fled deeper into the woods, there was no going after it, not without a fairy companion.

Link remained motionless, torn between fear and curiosity, yet nothing stirred. Deciding to unravel the mystery of the creature, should it still be close by, he was startled by the soft crunch of footsteps on the forest floor. Swiftly, he regained his composure before any misstep occurred.

"Link!" Saria's voice echoed from the tree's base. "Are you there?"

Descending quickly, Link's thoughts lingered on the peculiar animal.

"Saria!" he exclaimed, leaping from a low branch and landing with nimble grace. If he was expecting her to be impressed, he was disappointed, judging by the way she pursed her lips and crossed her arms across her chest. She held a satchel in her hand, likely for gathering herbs.

"I thought I'd find you here," Saria said with clear disapproval. "Nobody is supposed to leave the village alone, especially now, remember?"

Link vaguely recalled, but Saria's words received only fleeting attention.

"There's something in the woods! I saw it! It attacked a fox!" He pointed to where he had glimpsed the one-eyed creature.

Saria's frown softened. "What did you see?" she asked. Link was glad she believed him. Some of the other Kokiri might have assumed he was simply trying to get out of trouble, but Saria didn't question his urgent tone.

Taking a moment to recall the creature's appearance, Link recounted what he remembered: two legs and one large eye. He tried to remember any other details, but it had all happened so fast that he couldn't remember.

"I didn't get a close look at it," he admitted.

"How big was it?" Saria asked, scanning the nearby bushes as Link pointed in the direction of the fight.

"No bigger than a wild dog," Link replied.

Holding his slingshot, Link led the way to the trampled scrub, where blood stained the leaf litter- not just from the fox, but from something else as well.

Fora inspected the blood spatter.

"Purple blood?" Saria mused. "Does that look like anything you recognise, Fora?"

Fora shook her head. "No."

"Are we going to find the fox too?" Link asked.

"Not if it's gone deeper into the woods," Saria sighed. "But we'll keep an eye out for it."

After a thorough search for clues, Link and Saria descended into a gully. Along a trail of trampled earth, they found purple blood and splatters of crimson, leading to a fissure in the rocks.

As they approached the rocks, Fora's light revealed a grisly scene before the mouth of a cave. Deeper into the cave, pulsating vines of mouldy brown snaked their way along a narrow passage, but Saria halted Link before he could go any further, looking down, her face pale.

Link gasped, his foot just a moment away from stepping on a devoured rodent.

Bones, some small and others large enough to belong to a small deer, lay scattered around the cave entrance.

"I think that's an elk. A small one," Fora commented, indicating a skull.

Whatever lurked inside that cave wasn't large enough to bring down a sizable creature unless there were lots of them. Link eyed the passage, thinking he could easily navigate it. Saria restrained him as he reached for the pulsating vines.

"Better to let the other Elders have a look," she suggested. "It's too late, and I don't want you going down there alone. Besides, you won't see much."

"But what if that creature took Brynn's hounds?" Link asked, pointing at the scattered remains.

"Even more reason to wait," Saria insisted. "Let's go back to the village. I'll inform the Elders before we do anything. The woods are getting too dangerous at night, and I want everyone to be safe."

Leaving their discovery behind, they trudged away from the gully and started back toward the Kokiri grove. Link's thoughts remained on the mysterious creature. Had it taken Brynn's hounds? The creature he'd seen seemed too small, but if it hunted in packs, he was sure they could take down a larger animal.

Link strained to hear any movement in the surrounding woodland, but there was still no sign of the creature. Saria was glancing at the trees, too, apparently just as curious as he was. He could tell she was concerned, no doubt wondering what this all meant.

As the shadows deepened, strange twisted forms lingered amidst the trees. Link held his slingshot tighter, unsure if they were friends or foes.

"If more of those things come," he declared, "I'll protect us."

Saria offered him a warm smile, her touch comforting as she took his hand in hers. "I know you will, Link the brave."

A distant howl broke the silence, followed by another, but Link and Saria weren't worried despite a moment of startling surprise. Wolves were a natural part of the forest, and they kept to themselves.

Link hadn't gone far when he frowned, considering something.

"Sa," he began, using a term that he rarely used anymore, except for matters of great importance.

Saria seemed to give a small start and looked at him. "Yes, Link?" she asked softly.

"Can't the Great Deku Tree protect everyone from whatever's out there?" he asked, gesturing to the surrounding woods.

Saria's smile faltered, her eyes clouding with a hint of sadness.

"I'm sure he will," she replied without her usual conviction. "He is the protector of the forest, after all."

Link could sense that Saria was hiding something, her words concealing a deeper concern.

"Sa," he pressed, unable to suppress his growing trepidation, "what's wrong?"

Saria took a deep breath, turning to him with a smile that didn't quite meet her eyes. "It's nothing," she assured him, ruffling his hair affectionately. "Don't worry about me, okay?"

Link's lack of conviction and his doubtful look didn't go unnoticed. Saria paused, stopping in her tracks.

"It's-" Saria began, halting abruptly as her breath hitched.

Her eyes were oddly expressive as she glanced off into the trees, swallowing. When she turned back to him, she appeared close to tears.

Before Link could say anything, Saria stepped forward and embraced him. Startled, he almost jumped back, but he quickly relaxed into the unexpected warmth.

"It's just been a long day," she said at last. "Don't worry yourself, okay?" Ruffling his hair, she withdrew and let out an unconvincing sigh.

"Okay," Link repeated, still feeling a little uncertain. "Were you worried because I went into the woods alone?"

"I will always worry about you, my little warrior," Saria reassured him. "But I wasn't mad at you. Did you think I was?"

"A little," Link admitted as they started waking again.

"You know I love you too much to be mad at you for long," Saria said as they continued walking. Link smiled, casting her a glance. She appeared less distressed now. "You're growing so fast. It seems like only yesterday I could still carry you, and you were busy trying to pull my hair."

Glad for the cover of darkness, Link blushed fiercely.

As they neared the Kokiri groves, the soft chatter of voices drifted towards them, a welcome sound after the unsettling silence that had befallen the forest. "You know," Saria began with a hint of excitement, "I came looking for you to give you something." Reaching into her pouch, she extended it towards Link. "Here."

Link, expecting a pouch filled with herbs, accepted it with little thought. "A bag?" he asked. A quick sniff revealed no trace of herbs, leaving him perplexed. "What's so special about it?"

Saria's smile widened. "It's magic," she explained.

Link's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Magic?" he echoed, inspecting the satchel more closely. It appeared ordinary enough, yet Saria's words made him curious.

"It can hold a surprising amount of things, despite its small size," Saria continued. "Not everything, of course," she added with a chuckle. "Fora gave it to me as a gift when she chose me as her charge. We decided you should have it."

Link hesitated, his fingers tightening around the satchel. "Saria, I can't. It belongs to you-" he began, feeling both stunned and guilty for accepting such a precious gift.

Saria's smile remained warm and reassuring. "Keep it," she urged, her voice gentle. "I want you to have it."

Link glanced at Fora, who nodded encouragingly. With a murmured "thanks," he clutched the satchel securely, a sense of gratitude washing over him.

"Try not to lose it," Fora advised with a playful wink.

"I won't," Link replied.

"Come on," Saria prompted, gesturing for Link to continue. "I have to see the Great Deku Tree, but I will come and see you first thing in the morning."

As the sun began its descent, casting long shadows across the forest floor, Link and Saria made their way back to the village. The tantalising aroma of dinner wafted from nearby cookfires, accompanied by the cheerful sounds of laughter and chatter. Despite the enticing atmosphere, Link felt a wave of weariness wash over him, his mind still reeling from the events of the day.

Sensing Link's fatigue, Saria offered a surprising suggestion. "How about I bring you something to eat? Just this once." She usually encouraged Link to join the communal dining. "Fora can tell the Great Deku Tree where I've gone."

Unable to resist the offer, Link nodded sleepily.

"Yeah, okay," he mumbled, his eyelids growing heavy as they stopped before the ladder to his home. "Thanks, Saria."

With a warm smile, Saria turned towards the nearest campfire. Link stood watching the closest gathering from a distance, their laughter and carefree conversations a stark contrast to his troubled thoughts about whatever was lurking in the woods.

A dull ache throbbed in Link's head, heralding a night far from peaceful. "Stupid nightmares," he muttered under his breath.

With a sigh, Link ascended the ladder to his home.

~ 0 ~

Dawn found Link tossing and turning in his sleep, oblivious to the small, winged creature entering his home. The fairy, emitting a bright azure glow, panted from her hurried flight and the weight of the heavy sack she carried.

The fairy, Navi, carried a large object in a bag similar to Link's. She dropped her burden onto the table with a loud thud before turning her attention to the boy groaning in his sleep.

"Is this the one the Great Deku Tree spoke of?" Navi whispered to herself.

The blonde Kokiri was whimpering in his sleep, and Navi could tell he was dreaming, caught in the grip of a troubling nightmare. She cast her eyes upon a bottle of sleeping draught next to the bed.

Only a few mouthfuls, Navi thought. As long as he took it more than a few hours ago, he shouldn't be too hard to wake up.

"At least it was a small amount," she mused. "If he's still dreaming, then it's either worn off or not worked."

No matter, I have a few tricks I can count on, she thought, hoping she wouldn't have tostuff a smelly plant near his nose. Shouting usually did the trick.

"Hey, Link! Wake up!" Navi called out.

The boy remained oblivious to his visitor, his slumber undisturbed. Navi sighed, her patience wearing thin. "Hey! Listen!" she exclaimed.

Link slept on, still tossing and turning despite the fairy's efforts.

"This could take a while," Navi huffed, now annoyed.

She couldn't help but curse whoever had given Link the sleeping potion the previous night, right before she was meant to wake him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

270 0 39
Zelda had just started to become close with her knight before her kingdom fell to Calamity Ganon. Now, years later, she's found someone that embodie...
11K 296 45
On a journey to save his sister, a boy is caught in a struggle older than the great sea. ====== One thousand years ago, the greatest hero of all Time...
54.2K 1.7K 32
#1 for the tag Breath of the Wild #1 FOR LINK X READER BABY LETS GO! THANK YOU GUYS SO SO MUCH! Dear Journal, Impa told me that writing this after L...
4K 235 34
Tears of a Broken Kingdom ~ {After OoT/MM} now C O M P L E T E ~~ Ganondorf has been executed but trouble is beginning to brew in the land of Hyru...