The True One

Por amberkbryant

Participating story in the 2022 Stormy Nights Reading Challenge! Popstar Insomniac Werewolf? Verity Jayne is... Más

The True One: Read It NOW!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 Part 1
Chapter 4 Part 2
Chapter 5 Part 1
Chapter 5 Part 2
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Part 1
Chapter 9 Part 2
Chapter 10 Part 1
Chapter 10 Part 2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 Part 1
Chapter 13 Part 2
Chapter 14 Part 1
Chapter 14 Part 2
Chapter 15
Chapter 16 Part 1
Chapter 16 Part 2
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 Part 1
Chapter 31 Part 2
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 Part 1
Chapter 40 Part 2
Chapter 41

Chapter 27

206 37 16
Por amberkbryant

Verity

It's a good thing I had a manicure scheduled for tomorrow because this time—the second occasion tonight that I found myself in this situation—a nail broke as I used my hand like a mechanical claw to extract Alek from Chip.

"Stop it!" I yelled at Alek, but internally, I was more upset by the jagged line cutting across my fingernail than by the fact that Alek had again chosen violence. It was Chip, after all, and if Chip weren't already obnoxious, him dangling crucial and sensitive knowledge in front of Alek was enough to catapult him into the land of pure assholery. Still, I had a reputation as a moral person to uphold, and that meant Alek couldn't be allowed to stain my father's light grey sofa with Chip's nose blood.

Alek felt tense under my touch. Under different circumstances, I would have enjoyed running my hand over his taught bicep as I grasped onto him. Under these circumstances, all I could do was hope he would get himself under control. I tried to signal to him telepathically, but his wall was up and as fortified as a castle gatehouse. The yelling had its desired effect, however, and after a moment of deep breathing, he put up his arms in a gesture of acquiescence.

"I need him to tell me everything he knows," he said to me. "We both need that."

"Yes, but let's use our words to get that result," I weighed my strategy here, then pushed Alek to the side and stepped over to where Chip still sat next to Norvin. "Chip, if you're really my mate—"

"Of course, I am."

"Right." My mate. Saying those words linked to Chip made my mouth go dry. "As my mate, doesn't that mean you want to help me?"

Alek made a guttural noise I took to mean he was most displeased with the way this conversation was going.

"That's all I've ever wanted to do, Verity," Chip said. "My whole life is dedicated to being your helpmate."

More grumbling emanated from behind me.

"Well then, you'll want to tell me everything I need to know. Including what Aurum Venari did to turn you into a werewolf, what they did to me... and what they did to Alek."

"Chip..." Norvin reached across the couch and clamped a hand down onto my fake mate's shoulder.

Chip ignored him. "Why do you care about Alek so much?"

Aware that Chip might break through my psychic defenses at any moment, I kept my true thoughts about Alek closely guarded. "He's a player in this. I need to understand all the players to understand the game."

"Careful!" Norvin warned Chip, who squirmed under his grasp.

"Leave me alone, Norvin."

"That's not how this works, remember?" Norvin said. "Go ahead, then. Tell your little stories to them. Maybe they'll even believe you."

Chip let out an exasperated sigh. "Why wouldn't they? It's the truth."

"Remember, gifts can be given, but they can also be taken away." His voice lowered. "You've been given a lot of gifts, haven't you, Chip?"

"What does that mean? What gifts?" Alek's disgust spilled over into words laced with venom. "Jesus, Norvin, I can't believe this. Seriously. You're a traitor to everything I ever thought you stood for."

Norvin's right eye began to twitch. "If you understood..."

"You've never wanted me to understand! You've wanted to keep me in the dark. And this asshole..." He pointed to Chip. "This sorry piece of shit knows why."

"Maybe I do. Doesn't mean I'm going to tell you," Chip scoffed.

This conversation was going off the rails soon if I didn't steer us back to the topic at hand. "Remember, Chip, I need you too. It's important. For our.." I swallowed and then forced out the rest of the sentence. "For our relationship. Strong relationships like ours need to be built on trust and full transparency, right?"

Alek's gaze broke from Chip long enough to roll his eyes at me.

"Sure." Chip bit his lip. "I mean, if you really need to know."

"She doesn't." Norvin's death grip must have increased, because Chip yelped and twisted away from him.

"You don't scare me, Norvin!"

"I should. You know what I can do."

What can he do? As that thought formed, Chip leapt from the couch onto the coffee table. Startled, I took a step back. He smelled rank, and somehow, intuitively, I knew what that meant.

"Holy hell, what's he doing?" Flora stared at Chip like he was about to do an unsolicited strip tease, but the reality was much worse than that.

"Get out of here," I said to her. "Run... now!"

Chip began to shake and groan. His arms grew hairy as they contorted into front legs. His t-shirt tore from him, followed by his jeans.

"Oh my God, gross! I didn't sign up for this!" Flora retreated a few feet but kept watching the furry spectacle.

"Don't stare at him, Flora, just leave."

She seemed transfixed. Her eyes grew wide. I waved a hand in front of her, but she didn't even blink.

"Alek, bring her upstairs. Please!"

Alek, quicker on the draw than just about anyone, didn't hesitate. He took Flora by the arm and dragged her away, calling to me over his shoulder. "I'll be back."

"No, stay up there!" I yelled, for all the good it would do me. Chip had already threatened him, though. I suspected if Alek got in the werewolf's line of sight, things might not end as favorably for us as they had back at the treasure site.

"Shit," I said as I assessed the situation.

I had little time to get a dangerous predator out of the house before he ate someone I loved. Norvin could make for a nice entre for all I cared, only he still had information I badly needed.

Norvin. Now this was curious. Instead of the terror I expected from him, he remained sitting on the couch, legs crossed, looking like he was waiting for someone to serve him a martini.

"Why aren't you afraid?" I asked him. Chip was now ninety percent wolf. Another moment and he'd be ready to launch himself at Norvin.

"Me?" Norvin asked. "I'm perfectly safe. You on the other hand. Don't think just because he regards you as his mate that you're in the clear. Chip is very suggestable. A few words whispered in his big floppy ear and who knows what might happen." He leaned forward. "Of course, if a certain other werewolf were to appear, your friends and you might stand a much better chance."

"Fuck off." The hell if I was going to reveal my wolf self to him just because he suggested it. I crossed my arms.

"Verity, I'm home!" My father's voice echoed from the hallway. "What's going on?"

Before I could stop myself, the image of my father's bloody, half-eaten corpse flashed through my mind.

Not now! Damn, he had the worst timing.

Werewolf Chip flicked his head towards my dad. He licked his lips.

No. Bad wolf! Do not attack my father!

Leaping off the table, Chip came to a halt in the center of the room just as Dad entered it and let out a scream. Canvas bags filled with groceries spilled out onto the parquet floor.

"Dad, leave now!"

He looked between the werewolf and me, his eyes frantic. "Verity, what..."

"Someone should really defend your father," Norvin said. The calm lilt of his voice made me want to rip out his throat.

Fuck. My body vibrated with fear and pent-up wolf energy. I didn't want Norvin or my father to see this, but what other choice did I have? If I stood here and did nothing, my dad would die, and it would be my fault.

After a moment of indecision, I called my wolf out.

Norvin gasped. Had he expected this, or was he as shocked as Alek had been the first time he'd seen what I could do? There was no time to find out. In my wolf form, I charged, but my hesitation had cost me.

Chip had already lunged—not at my father, but towards the exit, and Norvin followed him as closely as he could, slamming the front door closed behind him.

I was only a pace behind them, but even with my wolfly strength, I had no opposable thumb. My human self-dashed to the door and let my wolf out, our dual minds both relaying the same thought: I'd been played. This was all a distraction so I would reveal my power to Norvin and then give him the opportunity to exit the premises.

My wolf self ran after them as my human self returned to the living room, to listen as to my father berated me with reasonable but exhausting questions.

Out in the fresh air, I ran as fast as my four legs could carry me. Chip's scent was strong and easy to track, but it went nowhere. Two houses up, it ended at the road, a blank spot along the curb where his car had been. Its motor echoed into the night.

I sat on my back haunches and let out a howl as the biggest clue to our mystery crossed the horizon line. 

___

Author's note: I only have one question for you this week: What is Verity going to do now? Norvin and Chip have escaped, and they've taken their secrets with them. I don't know about you but I'm feeling very frustrated for both Verity and Alek.

Thanks for reading... more excitement to come!

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

15.1K 1.5K 45
📖Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list📖 Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...
1.2K 12 24
Seven years ago, Devyn Fredericks mother went missing, her older brother ran away, her dad stopped talking, and her uncle became a big part of her li...
32K 677 44
{Book Three} *SPOILERS PRIOR TO SEASON 12* Four years after Melanie and Spencer got their happily-ever-after, ghosts of Melanie's past come back to h...
248K 20.6K 62
Expelled from her old school for a crime she didn't commit, Ivy must gain the trust of the High Pack at Ridgeview Academy to stop her new home from g...