One In A Milyon 3 (Urban Fict...

By RoialWriting

Copyright © 2014 All Copy Rights Reserved *READ 'One In A Milyon' and 'One In A Milyon 2' BEFORE READING THIS... More

One In A Milyon 3 (Urban Fiction)
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
One In A Milyon 2
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
A/N:
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
The End

Chapter 20

252K 4.4K 5.1K
By RoialWriting

Author's note: Sorry for the wait. There should be another chapter soon, next week or in a few days... the 25th is when I anticipated, 11:59 p.mCENTRAL TIME. I'm out of school and I don't have a reason not to update. After the next chapter or 2, that'll be the ending of this book. Book 4 'One in a Milyon 4: A King's Queen' coming soon. Cover is on my page, no description yet. Excuse any mistakes. I know you guys want answers and the next chapter will answer them all! Think of this chap as a warmup because it sucks compared to whats to come. Enjoy.

Chapter 20

"I gottta go," Mace released her from his embrace.

Glowing, Kai nodded. "Okay," she removed herself from his lap. She stood in front of him as he sat on the edge of the bed. Mace stared at her small and petite frame in the whit tank top and lace, black underwear. Even with the large bandage on her shoulder where Tay shot her, he was still attracted to her in more ways than one. Frustration spilled over him, he ran a hand over his face, he was embarrassed at his displsy of emotion in front of her but not enough for it to affect him.

Grabbing her wrist, Mace pulled her in between his legs. She resisted at first but when he wrapped his arms around her hips, she succumbed. She tossed her head back as she knew what was next. She looked back at him just to see him eyeing her but she could not read him. She rested her temple against his.

"Mace, stop playin' with me..." she said, under a whisper. She eyed his lips and he eyed hers. They both wanted badly to take it further but Mace couldn't, his loyalty to Shy had overridden his emotions in the moment.

He stood up causing her to step back but not much, the small space between them was almost nonexistent.

Mace tried to control himself as she invaded his personal space, "I'm not tryna lead you on, I just wanted you to know that I hear you. We know what it is, so don't over complicate it. I got a girl, ma." Mace studied her, waiting for a reply. Her eyes just begin to trail off and her glow was long gone. "Look at me," he demanded.

Looking up at him, she was obviously a little salty.

"I'm not tryna be your man, Kai. I'm just here to help out, nothing more... nothing less. You understand?" he asked, searching her big, doe eyes.

Kai wanted to be difficult and act like a brat because whether he thought so or not, he did lead her on. She rolled her eyes and nodded her head. She crossed her arms and stepped back, giving him space.

Disappointment was evident in Kai's eyes.

"I just wanted to check on you. I gotta go, tho'. Go back to sleep." With that, he left the room and exited the apartment before Kai could protest. As much as he had the urge to stay the night, he couldn't. He hated to make her think it was something it wasn't. Shy would be his main focus right now. He headed back to Carti's and Milyon's place.

Awakening with a hammering headache the next morning, Kai slowly entered the bathroom, splashing water in her face and gargling some in her cotton dry mouth.

She immediately returned to bed afterwards. She missed her friends, Elisa and Lady. They were with her the first night she saw Mace at the club. They found company in Mace's two friends, the same nigga that shot her and had her raped was one of them. A strong feeling of hatred flushed over her, she hoped he was dead. He was the reason she was here which was neither a bad or good thing. If all of that hadn't happened she was still be in Marshall projects, working at Smokey's burger joint, and her aunt would still be here.

A small part of her missed her old life, she felt like a new person in a new world now. She'd been in an actual mansion and seen more luxury, including the condo she was in than she'd seen in her entire life. But how could she afford it? Mace already had the condo paid off for the next year but even still, she couldn't just sit on her ass all day.

Life had done a 360° spin for Kai and she was just catching her breath. She rotated her now aching shoulder, she would take some pain killers when she after she was fully up. She would also begin filling out job applications, she wouldn't continue to freeload off of Mace. Luckily for her, classes wouldn't start back until September, she could work full time. She knew she was fired from her old job for sure, besides she didn't want to go back. Things were different now and she had Mace to thank for that. And whether he admitted it or not, he was a good person.

The first time she saw Mace, she thought her eyes had landed upon a god. But when she saw him the days following that night, it wasn't always good. He'd saved her though, on more occasions than one, it felt. Was this why she couldn't let him go?

Her mind on her friends again. She would've used the cellphone Mace gave her to login into social media just to check up on them. But, in a way, she felt like she was on vacation and didn't want to involve her friends. Elisa and Lady were cool but maybe she needed a break from them, from everything. It'd only been about a week since she'd last seen them which felt like eons ago.

She knew she had to let them know she was okay, though. They probably thought she was dead or kidnapped, knowing them, they weren't the type to call the police. Kai Googled the number to Lady's mom's beauty salon: Angel's Beauty Salon. Kai smiled to herself because the shop was so damned ratchet but Lady's mom, Angel was cool and really hilarious.

"Hello?" Someone answered the phone and they didn't even sound professional.

"Hi, can I speak to Miss Angel?" Kai asked, politely.

"Hol' on, please," moments after listening to a lot of bickering and cackling from women in the background, the rude chick returned to the phone, "Angel has a client right now, call back later."

"Um, please... it's really urgent. Can you tell her it's Kai."

The girl sucked her teeth and put Kai on hold once more.

"Hello, this is Angel."

"Hey, Angel. This is Kai, Lady's friend."

"Hey, baby! Where you been? Everybody's been worried about you."

"Hey, I'm okay. Don't worry. I was just calling to see if you could give me Lady's number?"

"Yes, of course, sweetie pie. You ready?"

Kai listened and typed her number into her phone as Miss Angel read it off, "Thank you, Miss Angel. Don't worry about me, I'm good. I promise," Kai saved the number.

"Okay, baby. Some detective been by my house asking about you. You know I don't like them police mu'fuckas, so I told them I don't know where you is and they need told get off my property."

Kai was surprised to hear that, "Okay, thank you, Miss Angel."

"Well, you keep in touch. Shit, got me out her worried 'bout yo' skinny ass. You know where I'm at, girl. You better use this number more often."

"Yes, ma'am," they ended the call.

Kai contemplated calling or texting but it would probably be hard to believe if she texted. She would just call.

Anxiously, Kai wait for Lady to answer the phone. She got no answer. She called back two more times and when she didn't answer the second call, Kai left a voice mail.

"Lady? It's me... Kai. I know y'all are probably worried but I'm okay, I promise. I'm actually... um, staying with some, um, f-friends. I'm sorry for not calling sooner but I just got a new phone. Call me back," Kai was relieved that Lady hadn't answer. Kai wasn't prepared to play twenty-one questions.

Detective? She thought. She wondered if she should tell Mace and what would he advise her to do. She couldn't think about it right now, she only wanted to sleep for the entirety of the day.

***

Mace had slept in one of Carti's five guest bedrooms, sure that it was not far from Shy's room. He would no longer sleep in the room with her because he'd began to convince himself that if he went away, she would awaken.

Mace was surprised to see that when he opened his eyes the next morning, or so he thought, it was just past twelve o'clock in the afternoon.

Mace didn't often sleep in, he was a busy man. But being that he'd made a stop to see Kai, it'd delayed his sleep.

He got out of the bed and took a shower. He dressed casually in a Givenchy graphic sweat suit. When he exited his room, he heard voices coming from Shy's room, only two doors down. He jogged the small distance and walked into the room, the door had been wide open. He could see that there was someone standing over Shy's bed, blocking his view of her. And he saw that Milyon was standing off to the side, watching intently. She hadn't even noticed Mace's entrance until he spoke. "What the fuck is this?" he said, pointing towards the person blocking his view of Shy, he looked at Milyon.

Milyon's eyes darted in the direction of her brother, she didn't hear him come in. She quickly rushed to him, stopping him in his tracks. The middle-aged white man looked back upon hearing the commotion.

Milyon stood in front of her brother who looked as if he was ready to choke the air from the lungs of the man. "Mace, calm down. That's the doctor, Carti called him here because Shy," she cleared her throat and lowered her voice, "um... she woke up," Milyon said in a hushed tone.

Mace's eyes shot over to the bed Shy was sleeping in but he couldn't get a good view of her. "She woke up? Why the fu..." Mace's nostrils flared as he silenced himself.

"I didn't want to wake you up. I was in here last night and I fell asleep. I woke up and she started to shaking and I got scared and told Carti. I'm sorry, I didn't want to bother you. This is one of the first nights you've actually slept through."

Mace gently shoved past Milyon and walked over to the bed, close enough to see that Shy was asleep, he assumed. The doctor stood up, he was a few inches shorter than Mace and his layered, brunette hair swept to the back of his head.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Shawn Wells, you can call me Dr. Wells." He removed his right latex glove and extended his hand for Mace to shake.

Mace gave him a hard glare and then reached out and shook the doctor's hand. "I'm Maceon, Shy's my girlfriend."

Dr. Wells nodded his head. "Girlfriend, huh? Well, it seems to me that she may have overdosed on drugs, narcotics, opiates, drugs that cause sedation and more than one at that, a concoction of some sort maybe. Her blood pressure is low, her heart rate is slow, and so is her breathing. Usually in opiate overdoses, the pupils decrease normal size. However, if other drugs are taken at the same time, they may counteract this affect on the pupils. The risk is that the patient will stop breathing. Luckily, this is not the case for your girlfriend. Honestly, I'm surprised she's still hanging on. Your..." the doctor glance at Milyon.

"Sister," Mace said.

Dr. Wells nodded, "Your sister here told me that she's been unconscious for two days now, correct?" he asked.

Mace felt uneasy about sharing these details with this doctor who he didn't even know. He hoped Milyon hadn't shared too much, especially about Shy being supposedly being dead for a year. He shot a look at Milyon. "Yea," Mace nodded.

The doctor further explained that Shy's condition was critical and if she's not treated immediately in a medical facility, she wouldn't make it. Mace walked out with that being said, he couldn't believe this dude was talking about taking her to a completely different place. He walked to Carti's office, knowing that's where he'd be. Mace walked in unannounced.

Carti was reading a book, he didn't stop upon Mace's entrance either.

"What up?" he asked. He memorized his place in the book and closed it, he looked up.

Mace was so annoyed he didn't even sit down, "I don't appreciate you calling a doctor over here for my girl and not letting me know shit, that's why I'm over here."

Unfazed by Mace's anger, it was expected, "I did what I had to do. She's not just your girl, she family."

Mace bit his lip, breaking the skin from it. He was angry but he kept himself composed. Not that he was intimidated by Carti, he was working on his anger issues but lately people wanted to test him. Taking a deep breath, he let it slide out and took a seat across from Carti.

"Who is this doctor? How you know this nigga? And how can we trust him?"

"I been knowing Wells for a minute, since I got in. He the only doctor I trust with my health. He got a medical center not too far from here but he do some shit for me when the amount is right. He not supposed to but he do, I respect that nigga. Give him a chance. How's she doing?"

Mace shook his head, "Man, I don't even know. He said if he don't get her to a medical facility soon, she might not make it. He says he needs to perform some blood tests, stomach pump, and put a tube down her throat to help her breathe, and he can't do it here cause he doesn't have the proper equipment."

Carti simply nodded, "Well, the decision is yours... she don't have to go if you don't want her to."

Mace sighed, "Do I really have a choice? I can't lose her again, dawg."

"Do what you gotta do then, bruh. I got ya' back, no bullshit."

Mace nodded, he stood and he and Carti slapped hands, "Good lookin', fam."

"You already know ."

***

Mace and Milyon trailed Dr. Wells to his medical facility with Shy in the backseat, Milyon back there with her. The car ride was silent. Milyon stroked Shy's curly, disheveled hair as her head rested on Milyon's lap. They put her in one of Milyon's jogging suits to cover her frail body, nothing else would fit since they had slightly different body types. Not to mention, Shy was taller than Milyon.

Milyon constantly put her ear to Shy's mouth and nose to make sure she was breathing. She prayed, silently the entire car ride that she would make it. She wished that they hadn't waited two days to call someone but she understood why her future husband and brother made that decision. She really didn't know how Shy was even still alive based off of what Dr. Wells told she and Mace.

Her mind wondered, she couldn't imagine why somebody would do this to Shy. Shy had been a bit of a firecracker but not mad enough for someone to hold her hostage for a year and then drop her on their doorstep, barely alive. Tears crept down her cheeks, she hadn't been so sad since she received the call about Shy being dead. No one would possibly be able to understand the emotion that she felt when she got that call or when she saw who she thought was Shy lying on that table in the morgue. The question that remains unanswered is: who was that on the table that day?

They arrived at the medical center in no time. It was small, family owned. It appeared that there was about three levels to the building. The trees had become slightly denser. Dr. Wells informed them that he was going to get some nurses and a stretcher and that they should hold tight.

Carti didn't feel like waiting much longer after only a few seconds. He got out of the car and went around to the backseat and carefully removed Shy's limp body out of the car.

"Got her?"

Mace didn't reply as he covered Shy's head while removing her from the Benz. Once she was fully out of the car, he removed the keypad to the car from his pocket and tossed it to Milyon. He headed towards the side door of the center.

Milyon was worried, her heart thumped at a rapid pace. Her hands trembled. She reached into the front of the car and pressed the Start button to turn the car off. She knew her brother expected that she stay in the car but that wasn't about to happen. She picked the keypad up off of the seat and exited the car. Pressing the Lock button on the keypad and headed to the side entrance of the medical center.

Just as she entered, she noticed her brother placing Shy on a stretcher with much diligence.

Walking over to her brother and the doctor, Mace looked at her with a scolding eye as if she were a child.

"We're going to do the best we can to get her in good condition," the doctor smiled a seemingly reassuring smile. Milyon knew it was a front. She looked around the center, it was spacious, neat, like a normal doctor's office.

The place was empty. She wondered if that had anything to do with Carti and their dealings. Of course it did. Carti had been telling her about Dr. Wells and he'd been very insistent that she make Dr. Wells her primary physician, also. Milyon wasn't completely comfortable with that just yet and needed to think about it. Although it didn't matter because Carti made it clear that she wouldn't have a choice once they've joined in marriage.

She rolled her eyes at the thought. Carti... her husband? Mr. and Mrs. King. Her lips curled into a smile. Before all of this happened, Carti had been a lot more open about the wedding. It would happen within thd next few months, hopefully. A fall wedding. But lately, he's just been confined to his office. What the hell is up with him? Milyon thought to herself. She would look more into once she was home.

She tuned back into Mace's and the doctor's conversation.

"We should be done within the hour and you all will be allowed to visit at any time you so please. I would suggest that you wait until tomorrow because she's likely to sleep through the rest of the day and night after we've performed the procedure."

Nodding, Mace reached into his pocket, "We appreciate you for what you're doing, we understand the risk and know that you will be largely compensated. But I do expect that our dealings remain private and between only those who are present during the procedure, you, and my family."

Dr. Wells nodded, "Certainly, sir. What's been discussed here will remain undisclosed. And please, no worries. Mr. King has already compensated me genorously."

"Glad to know, doc'. You'll be compensated by me, again when you bring my girl back to me."

"Understood, Mr. Carter."

The two shook hands, Milyon did the same. She really wanted to stay and wait for them to be done doing whatever they had to do to her, just to make sure she's in good hands. The two exited the building and headed to Mace's vehicle. There were two other vehicles, the doctors car, and a vehicle she assumed belonged to one of the two nurses. They may have rode together. The main parking lot for clients was completely vacant. Milyon shook her head, knowing her man had a little too much power. Or money.

They climbed into the car and Mace was quiet. Milyon handed him the keypad, he put it in his pocket and started the car. He pulled out of the lot and away from the building in the same direction they came.

"We should've stayed longer," she stated, dryly. Her eyes glued to the passing scenery.

No response.

Looking at her brother, she scowled. Mace kept looking ahead, his face distorted into a slight mug.

"What the fuck is your issue?" Milyon asked. Turning her head to face him.

Gritting his teeth, Mace kept his mouth shut.

She would take a different approach, "Maceon, I know this is hard but you're not the only one dealing with it. You've barely spoken to anyone. What's up? Talk to me. I'm supposed to be your sister, dude. Like, give me something, please."

Mace was quiet but realized if he didn't say something, she wouldn't leave him alone, "I don't feel like talking, Mil'. I'm just not in the mood to have a consultation about this shit. Drop it."

Sucking her teeth, Milyon wasn't going to drop it, "I'm worried about you. That's all. Just tell me you're okay."

Becoming exasperated with Milyon's persistence, Mace gripped the steering wheel and sighed, "I'm good."

"You just gon' lie that easy, Mace?" Milyon shook her head, "I really don't understand you."

"Milyon, drop it. I'm telling you now."

Her upper lip curled at his response. "Who do you think you are, Mace? My dad? Why do you feel the need for address me like I'm a child? I thought we were past this. Only difference now is I'm engaged with a child. And I may be doing too much to you but all I've ever done is want a relationship with my fucking brother whom I didn't see or hear from for years and just reconnected with over a year ago. You're my only family, Mace. We're all we got. Why don't you understand that? I'm hurting, too. I missed her, too. I'm just trying to be here for you. Why won't you open up to me?"

Well on the brink of tears at this point. But Milyon wouldn't allow one tear to fall. She couldn't. She wouldn't give him even more reason to think she was a fragile, weak-minded child.

Mace's nostrils begin to flare. This was not the discussion to have while he was driving. But he wouldn't ignore her because he didn't want to seem cruel, "I treat you the way I treat you because you're my sister. You right. I'm not dad but I do what I do because he's not here. I'm protective of you because that's what he would've wanted."

Silence. Milyon wanted to hear him. Mace looked over at her.

"I'm done talking. That's enough, we'll pick up on it another day, doc'. A'ight?"

Smiling, she nodded. Knowing that she probably annoyed him, she would leave him alone today. Something didn't sit right with her about his behavior and she just wanted to be there. Everyone handle things differently, as for Mace, he closed everything and everyone off except for work. Milyon didn't think his approach was healthy. They were the only family each other had abd she wouldn't allow him to drive himself crazy.

The rest of the drive consisted of the tunes of the radio and the two drifting into world's of their own.

Once they arrived back at Milyon's home, Mace parked his car directly in front of the entrance inside of the circular driveway.

Milyon was unlocking the door to her home, after the incident with Shy, Carti was strict about enforcing security. Right behind her, Mace scanned their surroundings, it was a habit. Their home was obviously gated but Mace wouldn't let his guard down.

Once inside of the foyer, Mace called out to Milyon. Milyon turned around and removed her O-shaped Cartier frames, "Yea?" she answered.

Mace managed a sly smirk. His sister was grown, "Yo, I need you to understand somethin'..." he began, stiffening his expression.

Milyon sighed, kicking her Chanel sneakers off. Here he go, she thought. Sensing a lecture coming.

Mace continued, "You my lil' sister, I'm 'posed to worry about you... not the other way around. Yo' job is to stay cute and play housewife, a'ight?"

Rolling her eyes, Milyon couldn't control her smile. She released a bashful giggle, looking down for only a moment.

Stepping closer to her, Mace extended one of his partially tattooed arms, "C'mere, man."

Stepping into his hug, she used both her arms to latch onto his torso. Her head was buried in his chest and his arm had a practical death grip around the back of her neck. She didn't mind because it was as close to a normal hug she would get from him.

"Trust me, I got you. I ain't lettin' shit happen to us and Carti ain't either. Don't worry about me, I'm good. You understand?"

Although his message seemed to be in some sort of coded dialect, she understood his point. Milyon nodded against his chest. He loosened his grip around her neck and she pulled away from him. His arm remained around the back of her neck, now resting on her shoulders. She then snaked one arm around his manly waist and they headed to Carti's office.

"Where's my nephew?" Mace asked.

Milyon shrugged, "He's either with Carti or the nanny."

"Nanny?" Mace questioned.

Milyon nodded, "Yea, we hired her a while ago but we were never ready for her to start yet. Well, I wasn't. Just not ready for my baby to be around somebody else so much yet. But, you know, after this shit, Carti made me make her start yesterday because I kept checking on Shy and I had to carry King around with me. He didn't like that."

What the fuck? Mace thought. Annoyed with this newfound information, he removed his arm from around Milyon and quickened his pace towards Carti's office. They neared the kitchen and could smell food cooking.

When Milyon entered her kitchen, she saw Estella, the nanny stirring something in a pot. Stella, a twenty-eight year old daughter of immigrants, whether she was also an immigrant remained undisclosed on her application. She was not hired through an agency and worked in a family owned business.

"Oh, hello Mrs. King," Carti told her to address Milyon by Mrs. King because they would be married soon and it was more formal.

Milyon didn't mind. She wasn't yet used to being called Mrs. King, though, "Hi, Stella. What're you making?" Milyon asked peeking into the pot. She would have to get used to another woman in her kitchen. By now, she was used to the domestic duties of a housewife and didn't know how to feel that another would be doing her job.

"Macaronni and cheese, along with chicken nuggets for King. Would you like some, Mrs. King?" She asked in her thick, Spanish accent.

"No, I'm fine. Where's King?"

"Oh, he is napping with Mr. King in he office. I ask did he want me to put King in bed and he say no."

Mace was heading to the office, not acknowledging the nanny. Milyon stopped him, "Mace," she called out, stopping him.

Mace reluctantly turned around and stood next to Milyon, "What up?"

"Mace this is Stella, the nanny," Milyon pointed from one to the other, "Stella this is my brother, Mace."

Stella wiped her clammy palms on her apron and extended her hand, smiling a graceful smile. Mace nodded and shook her hand, "Nice to meet you," he quickly released her hand and turned to Milyon, "I'll be in Carti's office."

"I'm right behind you," Milyon looked to Stella, "Thank you, Stella."

The two exited the kitchen and arrived momentarily to Carti's office. Milyon walked into the office without the courtesy of knocking. Carti was on his iPad while King lie asleep in his lap.

"Don't be loud," Carti said in a challenging tone.

Milyon offered to take King, "He's good, let him sleep."

Milyon didn't too much like being told she couldn't take her child, "I'll just leave so y'all can talk but I'm coming back for King in about ten minutes," she shot Carti a look before closing the door, gently behind her.

"Why everytime I turn around, you got new people around my sister and nephew?" Mace questioned.

"This is my house. So, what you getting at?" Carti sat his iPad down and looked down at his son who was drooling on his Calvin Klein t-shirt.

"That's my family and you bringing random people around them. You ain't even said shit about a nanny."

"That's s discussion that was between my fiancé I. And these are people I trust, not random."

"I can understand the doctor, Carti. But who the fuck is this nanny bitch? How you know her?"

"We hired her months ago. She's highly recommended and a thorough background check has been done."

"What about security? You can hire nannies and shit but we was supposed to beef up on security two days ago," Mace interrogated.

Carti retrieved his iPad off of his desk and began tapping the screen, not responding to Mace's question. Sighing, Mace was becoming even more annoyed. First, Milyon and now, this.

Carti placed the iPad in front of Mace. Eyeing the photographs quizzically on the screen, Mace scrolled.

"There are ten photographs, you and I will choose eight out of that ten. You and I will have two members of the security team with us at all times. Milyon and King will have two and so will Shy once she's well."

Agreeing, Mace nodded.

"A'ight, bruh. I'm done with the questions. I see you."

"Yea, next time you come in here actin' like the Feds, I'm not playin' along with it... I'ma let this pistol talk," Carti stated, seriously. The two of them shared a laugh but they both knew what it was. They began picking members for their security team.

"You know this that nigga Julius, right?" Mace asked, speaking the unspoken.

Carti was silent. He thought of the letter he got in the mail: I think I got something you want, nephew. I'll be calling soon.

And then the conversation he had with his uncle Julius shortly after.

"Yo, you not hearing me out. You not thinking straight, blood. You ain't thinking about shit but a nigga who randomly came into yo' life, and I been there since day one. He wasn't no more of a son to you then I was, Unc'. So, your loyalty to him overrides your loyalty to me? It's a'ight, OG. I get it." Carti said, calmly. He wasn't about to try and fight for something when he was the only one who was putting up a fight. His uncle's mind was clearly made.

Julius laughed. "Son? Nigga, as far as I'm concerned... I only got one son. I'm getting out in less than a month with the power of a wonderful attorney. And guess who doorstep I'm coming to first, along with a little surprise." He said, his voice leaking with so much hate.

"You already know what I'm 'bout, Unc', no lackin' these ways. So, understand... you gon' have to make it through the gate first." And with that being said, Carti ended the call.

Carti had been fooled, he'd taken his uncle for granted.

"Yea, I know it's him. I fucked up but nothing to do now but stop this nigga from doing more damage. I want checks done on every federal prison from here to Cali for this nigga. Let Capo know what's up."

Mace had no complaints. He was on Go mode.

"By the way, Aaliyah called. Remember the deal she offered us? She said that we have until Akoni's memorial service to accept, that's this weekend. We give her the answer at the service and she'll have details for us, including who the connect is. We have to attend outta respect for Akoni and for business purposes."

Mace nodded, "This bitch got some tricks, I see. You do a check on her?" Mace asked.

Carti nodded, "Yea, shit came up pretty clean. She was born in dome lil' ducked off town in Jamaica, moved to America as a child, and her name was changed to an American name so that she would be accepted in our society, and when Akoni got in the game, she followed suit."

"A'ight. We gon' have to feel shit out. Regardless, you know I'm wit' it. Let's get this money. We'll figure out the rest later."

Agreeing, Carti nodded. Mace stood and the two slapped hands.

Milyon came into the office ten minutes later, Mace was heading out, "You leaving?" Milyon asked.

"Yea, gotta go make some calls. I might be back later, tho' to get my shit."

"Okay, see you later."

Walking around Carti's desk, she leaned down and picked King up off of his father's lap, "Gimme my son."

Smirking, Carti shook his head. He knew Milyon was mad that he wouldn't let her get him earlier, "You mad at me?" He questioned, watching her walk around the desk and head for the door with King in her arms.

She ignored him.

"I need you to come back in here when you put him down."

Milyon ignored him again. He thought she was only mad for one reason, she was also mad at the fact that he'd been spending so much time in his office lately. She understood that a lot was going on but this was odd of him.

She went into the family room and laid King down on the sofa. She would've laid him in his play pin which he was beginning to grow out of, but he didn't like waking up in there.

Taking a moment to admire his soft, adorable features, she kissed him on his head and left him there. She went to the nearest bathroom, there was a feeling of urgency rushing from her bladder.

Once inside, she hurriedly emptied her bladder and cleaned herself. Attached to her reflection in the crystal mirror inside of the bathroom, she began finger combing her bone straight hair, it draped just past the connecting part of her bra.

She readjusted her fitted, white True Religion jeans and Chanel logo t-shirt. She wasn't feeling it today, so she kept it plain and chill. In need to reapply lip gloss, she searched for her Chanel handbag but realized she left it in the kitchen.

There was a knock.

"Yea?" she waited for a response. Just as she was about to open the door, whoever was on the other side opened it first. Carti.

Milyon rolled her eyes. She attempted to push past him but he shut the door closed. She rolled her eyes and shifted her weight to one side, she crossed her arms over her chest. She released an exasperated breath, "Carti, what? I don't feel like playing."

"I thought I told you to come back to my office when you put him down." Carti said, leaning against the sink, arms crossed also. Milyon stood near the toilet, annoyed.

"I didn't feel like it."

"C'mere," his voice low and stern. He wanted to fuck and she knew it.

"No, I'm mad as hell at you," she pouted. Carti always brought out her inner child. He carried such authority. He was even a little intimidating.

Carti walked over to her in the fairly large bathroom. She stepped back, being stubborn.

"Why you mad at me, ma?"

"You know why Carti. Don't fucking touch me," she said, trying to walk around him but he grasped her into a tight embrace.

"Where you goin'? Let me make it up to you," He began kissing her gently, hungrily on her neck. They hadn't had sex in days upon days, it felt like. She knew he wanted it and secretly, so did she.

Milyon bit her lip, trying to conceal her moans within the confines of her throat. She closed her eyes. No, she told herself. She tried pulling away. He wouldn't let her.

"Let me make it up to you," he whispered into her ear.

His hands began roaming, roaming to places she only longed for his touch. Yes. Her ass. He palmed it, agressively. She subdued, moaning loudly.

"King? He's—"

"Estella is watching him," Carti interrupted, gripping her tighter. He unbuttoned her fly and then pulled her shirt over her head. His hands went to her breast, he rotated them through her black and white bra.

"I missed you. Can I make it up to you?"

Nodding, Milyon wrapped her arms around his neck. He lifted her with one arm. She clung to him, wrapping her petite legs around his waist. He sat her on the sink.

He reached behind her and began pulling her pants off. She raised her bottom to assist him. He pulled them down and off, disposing of them onto the elegantly tiled floor.

A hand on her breast and another palming her ass. They kissed, passionately. Milyon tugged the hem of his t-shirt and pulled it up. He lifted his arms and she took it completely off. She let it fall to the floor.

Removing her bra with expertise, he began feasting upon her hardened nipples shortly after.

"Mmm," she moaned, her hand finding a spot on the back of his head. The other undoing his black Lanvin jeans. They began to fall on their own, exposing his package almost bursting from beneath the fabric of his Calvin Klein briefs.

Carti slid her panties to the side and eased his long, manly index finger inside of her. She blossomed against his touch.

"Ooooh, shit," she cursed. Her fingers running through his curls.

"You want me to stop?" He asked.

She shook her head no, "Mm-mhn," barely able speak as he stroked her with his finger, her juices flowing around him.

He stopped. She hadn't noticed but he had his package in hand, stroking it. He raised his finger to her mouth and she greedily tasted its contents. She teased his finger with her tongue, looking up at him.

He brought her to the edge of the sink and pushed her legs wider with his free hand. He slid her panties to the side once more. He eased into her entrance making her release his finger from her mouth, "Oh, fuuuuck," she moaned.

"Fuck," he groaned, slapping her thigh.

Wrapping around his thickness, her honey coated him. He stroked slow, teasing her tender flesh.

His strokes were menacing and deathly, "Fuck me," she demanded, faintly, "please," she begged.

"Let me feel you," he hushed her by kissing her soft lips.

Milyon's nails carved into the tattooed skin of his back as he dug deeply into her treasure, "Please."

He ignored her and winded in and out of her, inch by inch, "Carti," she bit his shoulder as he maneuvered deep inside of her, "please, fuck me."

She couldn't take the way he was teasing her, she wanted to cum.

Easing out of her slowly, he crept back in and suddenly thrusted inside of her, violently, "Oooooh, yes," almost screaming.

He repeated. He quickened. Her nails scarred his back. Closing her eyes tightly, she took his beating. Their skin clapping resounded throughout the bathroom.

"Baby," he groaned, one hand on her ass, the other holding her leg in place.

"Stand up and turn over," he pulled out.

Milyon obeyed. She leaned over the sink and poked her cheeks into the air. Anxious, she looked back at him as he teased her opening, "Wider," he demanded followed by a smack on her ass. Again, she obeyed.

Pushing inside of her, he admired the view. He watched Milyon's face distort with pleasure as she gripped the sink for dear life. He pounded her raw flesh with no mercy.

"This what you wanted?" He quickened his pace.

"Yesss," she hissed. Tightening around him, the intense feeling of pleasure began to build.

"You wanna cum?"

"Yessssss, please. Please, Carti... please," Milyon swallowed hard.

She began to match his rhythm and they rocked quickly in motion. She grinded against him, making him weak at the knees, "Mil', fuck... baby."

He gripped her cheeks and began to fight for dominance. He won and began going faster and harder.

"Cum for me," he coached.

Milyon bit her lip, "Mmmmm, yessssssss," intense pleasure began rushing through her groin and he pounded her as she released, "Yesssssssss, Carti. Yessss, baby. Oooh, fuck meee."

Pulsating inside of her as she released her sweet molasses around him, he followed suit, "Oh, fuck, baby. Shit, I'm cummin'," he exploded inside of her treasure.

Make up sex was the best for them.

Hours later, the two lie in their bed after round two, wrapped tight in the others embrace. King was in his bedroom, asleep. Carti was trying at sleep but Milyon's mind was everywhere at once.

"What's wrong? Why you not sleep?" Carti asked. His eyes were closed but he was holding her close enough to know that her breathing pattern was off and she kept fidgeting in search for comfort. He loosened his hold.

Turning on the opposite side, she was now face to face with Carti, "I'm worried..."

Carti sighed, sensing her mood to talk, he opened his eyes, "About?" he questioned.

"Everything... Mace, Shy, the wedding, King... just, everything," she fingered his neatly trimmed chin hair.

Eyes heavy yet still alert, "Why you worried about King? King's good."

"I'm just saying because of all that's going on. I hate that he, you know, has to be in the middle of all of this. I just... don't want anything to happen to him or... I don't know wh—"

"Chill, I'm not gon' let shit happen to our son. You don't trust me?" He asked, his eyes peering at her.

Exhaling, "Yes, Carti... I trust you but you can't control everything and you can't see everything."

"That's why we beefing up on security. Starting tomorrow."

"What? What do you—"

Interrupting her, "It's done already. You and King will have two members of the security team with you at all times."

"Why do you make decisions for me and not even feel the need to run it by me? How can I be comfortable doing anything or going anywhere if I got people hovering over me twenty-four seven?" She asked, obviously annoyed. She shifted, distancing the two.

"It's not up for discussion, Milyon. It's done. Deal wit' it," he turned his back to her.

Sucking her teeth, "Okay, it's not even the fact that these people will follow me everywhere but why couldn't you at least run it by me?"

"I tried to earlier. You didn't listen."

"A day before the shit is being put into place? How are we supposed to get married if you can't do simple shit?" She turned on the lamp on her nightstand. She sat up against the headboard.

Carti attempted to tune his fiancé out but she was exasperating. Trying to control his anger, he inhaled deeply and let it out, loudly.

Taking the hint, "Whatever. I'm done."

Turning out the light, Milyon readjusted her positioning. Dramatically, she snatched the cover up and onto her naked body.

Milyon didn't understand the men in her life, why were they so controlling? This was the life she chose with Carti and she was happy but sometimes it felt that she was just stringing along.

Morning came. Milyon was the first to be up, usually she wasn't. Carti would usually awaken before her, his office would be where she found him when she did wake up to an empty bed.

Tossing the covers back, she climbed out of bed. The sun wasn't yet shining. Milyon didn't turn on her light, she checked her phone. It was 6:07 a.m. She walked into the bathroom and emptied her bladder, brushed her teeth, and washed her face. Annoyed that she hadn't put her hair up last night, she put it into a ponytail.

Walking into their spacious walk-in closet, she automatically became overwhelmed with the amount of clothes she and Carti had, she didn't feel like deciding what to wear at the moment. She walked out.

She looked to the floor and found Carti's t-shirt that he wore the previous day, she slid it on and over her naked frame.

The nanny would arrive soon and Milyon wanted to hurry and make breakfast. Quietly, she left she and Carti's bedroom. She headed downstairs.

Eggs first, steak, and then hash brown. Chopped pineapples, which King loved, strawberries, bananas, and grapes. Milyon cooked as much as she could, preferring not to hire anyone to do that. That's why she got up early, so the nanny wouldn't try to. That was Milyon's job, her duty as a mother and a wife. It allowed for her some quiet time to herself.

An hour later, the nanny arrived, "Hey Stella, King's in his bedroom asleep. I just checked on him a few minutes ago. I'll go get him for you."

Stella removed her coat, wrapping it around the back of the island stool, "No, Mrs. King... please, let me. Is my job."

Milyon sat the glass bowl full of mixed fruit on the middle of the island. She smirked at Stella and shook her head, politely declining her offer, "I'll get him, Stella. Thank you. You're welcome to fix yourself a plate if you like."

Stella smiled and nodded, "Everything's right there," she pointed to the fantasy white marble island top, "Be right back."

Creeping into King's superhero themed room, Milyon switched on the light to see King sleeping peacefully in his chestnut colored crib. She didn't want to wake him, knowing he would have s fit but she didn't want him to sleep in.

"Hey baby, let's go eat eat," she reached inside of King's crib and cuddled his little body into her arms. He wiggled a bit but continued his sleep.

Placing a gentle kiss on his forehead, she patted his back, "King? Baby? Wake up, love," Milyon sang.

King fidgeted in her arms and began to whimper, "Come on, King. Time to eat, baby."

Soon, King was awake and partially screaming. It took only moments for Milyon to calm him down. She made him use the potty and then took him downstairs to eat.

Milyon entered the kitchen with King im her arms, his head resting on her shoulder, and his mouth formed into a pout. Sitting in a stool with King in her lap, Stella sat a plate in from of them, "For King. Would you like for me to make you a plate, also?"

Milyon declined. Stella was persistent but her job was to watch King and Milyon was in the way. This was sudden for Milyon and King. Carti didn't even allow Stella a few days just to get comfortable with King but he was a kid, he would come around... Milyon not so much.

Sitting King in his high chair, she begin to feed him his food. Stubborn at first, but eventually King began to use his hands to stuff food into his mouth. He wouldn't eat much meat but he devoured his fruit.

"One more piece of meat," Milyon coached, holding a piece of tender, chopped steak to his mouth.

He shook his head no and before Milyon could continue trying to get King to eat his meat, Carti walked into the kitchen. He greeted Stella who wad watch Milyon and then walked over to his wife.

"Milyon, let me talk to you upstairs," he said, sternly and low enough for only the two of them could hear. He kissed King on the forehead and walked away before Milyon could protest.

Rolling her eyes, Milyon put the plate down and looked to Stella, "Can you—"

"Yes, yes, Mrs. King," Stella interrupted and quickly picked up where Milyon left off.

Reluctantly, Milyon went to their bedroom.

Seeing that the door was opened, Milyon walked inside. Carti was sitting on the edge of the bed, his eyes were glued to the floor as his shoulders slumped. His forearms rested amongst his thighs and his hands clasped together. Seemingly in deep contemplation, Milyon took a moment to admire his shirtless and toned back. Although she was annoyed with him, her attraction towards her man eould never waver.

"Close the door and sit down."

Milyon did as she was told, "What's up?" She asked, taking a seat on the edge of the bed, not directly next to him.

Drowning the room in silence, Carti took a very intense pause before speaking. He cleared his throat, "You want to be with me, right?"

Sighing, "What're you gettin—"

"Milyon... just... answer the fuckin' question," using his hand to emphasize his words.

She wondered what this was about because it was beginning to worry her.

"Yes, Carti... I want to be with you," she came correct this time.

Carti nodded his head, he looked up at her, "You want to marry me?" He asked, searching her eyes for the answer.

"Yes, Carti... of course. You know that. Do you want to marry me?" She challenged.

"Milyon, my plans are to much more than marry you, ma," he stated, genuinely.

Milyon lowered her head, a feeling of guilt settling on her.

"We can't keep doing this shit. We need to be on the same fucking page."

Milyon didn't respond.

"I know you upset wit' me but shit 'bouta get real out here and I need to know you and my son are good. I know this shit is a lot but I wouldn't be doing it if you and my son weren't involved. To be honest, y'all right in the middle and I'm not tryna loose you," Carti's hardened demeanor was gone.

Milyon couldn't speak. She knew she was wrong for coming at him the way she did when he was only trying to protect his family.

"I know you don't like the sudden changes but you need to be strong for me. I need to know that you're emotionally ready for anything that may happen. That petty shit gotta go out the window, ma cause this shit is serious. I wouldn't be telling you if it wasn't, you hear me?"

Carti got up and sat next to her, he lifted her chin. She now looked him in the eyes now, "You hear me?"

Milyon finally spoke, "What you mean it's serious, Carti? You think something bad is going to happen?" She asked, her gray eyes peircing through his soul. How could he lie to her?

"I just need you to trust me, a'ight? Can you do that?"

Milyon nodded. What the hell is going on? She thought. Her mind racked with scenarios. She felt extremely bad for acting so childishly. She trusted Carti with her life and her son's life.

They went back downstairs and and ate breakfast with their son.

***

Sitting in his G-Class with Capo, Mace ran a list of things down to him.

"We going back to New York in a few days. Akoni's memorial service is this weekend. We gotta be there outta respect and it's good for business. Carti spoke to Aaliyah over the phone the other day and she says that's where we will be meeting our new connect, if we decide to do business with her. According to her, everything will be the same, including prices. We just don't know the face behind the price. Right now, nobody else's prices are as right asbut we only have her word that whoever it is will be selling to us the same product that Akoni did."

Capo nodded, digesting the information. He would be the person to make sure shit is right at the main trap, the one that brought in the most revenue. Mace and Carti handled the formalities. Difference was, Mace would get his hands dirty only sometimes, this is what he preferred. Carti, on the other hand, was the leading man, he didn't have to get his hands dirty. This was how it was and none of them had no complaints about their position in the operation.

"A'ight, boss."

The two slapped hands and Capo exited Mace's vehicle. Mace let the engine roar and headed to Milyon's house. He'd meant to come back the previous night but he was busy putting in calls to find both Julius and Tay. He was tired and returned to his own bed at his new condo. After what happened with Shy, he couldn't stay at his old place ever again. But he did pay it's rent for the rest of the year and the entirety of the next. This is why he allowed for Kai to stay there.

His new place was smaller than his old place but it was just him by himself so it didn't matter. He currently had a home being built and it would be finished within months. He had been planning to build a home with Shy but no work had been done. When everything happened, he didn't want to stop the process so he allowed for construction to start. He was glad he continued their plans because she was alive and she would be able to share it with him.

Arriving in front of Milyon's house, Mace texted Milyon so she would come outside.

Over ten minutes later, Milyon came strutting outside. Her Christian Dior shades covered half her face. There was a very dark-skinned man, bald, and in a black t-shirt and pants, on one side of her and on the other, was a woman. The woman wore the same uniform as the man, she was fair-skinned and looked to be middle aged with her black hair pulled back into a bun.

These were two of Milyon's security, handpicked by Carti and Mace. Serge was an army veteran, a special forces weapons seargant. Basically, he was good with heavy artillery and guns. Chelly was a professional kickboxer and a highly trained specialist in self-defense. Both didn't often speak unless spoken to and they both also signed confidentiality forms.

She got into the car and removed her shades, "What's up, big bro?" Her security both stood on either side of Mace's vehicle.

"Shit, you ready to head out there?"

"Yea, but we gotta take my car."

Mace sighed but he'd forgotten that security would begin their jobs today. It was cool, he would rather they weren't in his car anyways.

"A'ight."

They both got out of the car and Milyon led the way to the Mercedes-Benz Maybach S600 that Carti bought especially for Milyon's security to drive her in, though it was still her car. Mace hadn't even noticed and it was parked not too far from his in the circular driveway.

Serge opened the rear door for Milyon and Chelly started the vehicle. Mace opened his own door and climbed in.

Milyon and Mace sat in the backseat, Milyon finding the situation hilarious. The security was serious.

"Yo, you got the address, ma?" Mace questioned Chelly.

"Yessir, I have it here," she pointed to the GPS system. She pulled away from the house.

"You like the security?" Mace questioned, though it really didnt matter.

"Eh, not used to it yet but I guess since since I don't really have a choice."

"You right but we gotta do what we gotta do."

"Yea, Carti already explained it to me. Y'all got me a little worried, though. Is everything good?" She hoped he would give her some answers since Carti hadn't.

"Everything is good, just don't give these folks a hard time."

"Whatever, I won't. I was at first because Carti just told me about this lastnight. He made me so mad."

"Y'all getting married in... what? A few months? You need to let the nigga do his job as your soon-to-be husband and take care of you. You gon' have to grow up and get to know the real world. Everything ain't about you, Mil'."

"I don't think everything is about me, Mace. So, shut up."

Mace shot her look, "Let's be real, sis."

Milyon laughed, "Fuck you."

She didn't think she was selfish, she didn't see why he or anyone else would think so.

In about twenty minutes, they arrived at their destination. Chelly drove the car around to the side door and Serge let Milyon out of the car, she wasn't supposed to exit the car until security scanned the perimeter.

Mace wouldn't wait for anyone to open or close his door, he was a grown ass man. Fuck that, he thought.

Upon their arrival, someone had been waiting at the side entrance for them, a nurse. She let Mace, Milyon, and her security. When safely inside, the nurse introduced herself as Kim and she was one of the nurses who was on duty for Shy. Kim escorted them to Shy's personal room, where she received extensive treatment as a patient. Kim explained to them Shy's condition, she was being assisted by an ventilator to breathe and she would probably not be awake during their visit. She also was being hydrated by saline via an IV.

"Here's her room," the nurse said, she held the door open for Milyon and Mace. Chelly and Serge stood on either side of the door. Chelly stopped them near thee door before they could see Shy. She explained that the procedure that was performed on her had been done and completed flawlessly and Shy should be breathing on her own within the next day or so. Kim informed them that Dr. Wells would be with them shortly and left them to their visit.

Mace and Milyon slowly crept in and when they aw Shy lying on the bed with tubes in her arms and a big one in her mouth, they proceeded with caution. It was a most scary sight to witness. Milyon latched onto Mace's arm.

"Oh, my God. Look at her, Mace."

They both stood on either side of her bed, staring at her. She still looked sick, malnourished even. Milyon let go of Mace and pulled a seat near Shy's bedside, Mace stood. Soon, Dr. Wells entered. He greeted both Milyon and Mace and begin to explain to them the same thing that the nurse did.

For about an hour, they visited with Shy. Dr. Wells told them that she wouldn't be waking up from her medical induced coma, possibly for a few days. After some time, the pair left with the security, exiting the same way that they'd come in. Their were actually patients at the center this day, it would be bad for business if they shut it down for yet another day. But, all of their dealings would be executed with discretion and precision. What they were doing was not legal, after all.

The ride back to Milyon's home was silent and when they arrived, Mace barely said a word before he climber out of the car and went into their house. Milyon followed behind with security following her.

Mace entered the guest bedroom he slept in, grabbed a small MCM duffel he had filled with clothes, and made a smooth exit. He wasn't in the mood to talk, he walked past Milyon, "I'm out. Be back tomorrow."

"Oh, okay," surprised, Milyon secured the door once he was out. She dudnt know what his problem was but she was sure it was in relation to seeing Shy today.

The next day, they visited Shy again. Still, she was on the ventilator. They did the same on the following day and she was finally removed from the machine.

Mace and Milyon entered her room to see her body curled into a fetal position, Milyon's heart pounded rapidly against her chest. Shy was awake.

"Shy?" Milyon called, softly. Mace was behind her, he was anxious.

Shy's body jumped and she quickly sat up. Her eyes expressed fear that should be instilled in no human. She froze. Staring at the two. Not able able to contain her tears, Milyon sobbed into her hands. Mace couldn't go any further, he didn't want to frighten her.

"Oh, my God..." Milyon cried. She stood feet away from Shy's bed. She didn't know that she could go any further either. 

Shy's facial expression became distorted as she cried an everlasting sea of emotion. Her shoulders slumped and her hand shot to her chest. She was practically hyperventilating. Not good. 

Milyon rushed to her side, she wanted to embrace Shy but she needed to first, calm her, "It's okay, we're here now. Breathe, okay? I need you to breathe, Shy," Milyon coached, assisting Shy to lay down.

The nurses came in and took over, although finding himself in frozen like state, Mace managed to go grab the nurses. Nurse Kim was there, she handled Shy with such delicacy, "Shy, sweetheart, your family is here, okay? they need you to calm down so they can visit you for a while, okay?" Kim said as the other nurse checked her breathing, etc., and made sure she was okay for visitation. They gave Mace and Milyon the okay and then left.

Mace approached Shy's bedside, their eyes were locked upon one another's. Milyon stood off to the side, smiling from ear to ear. She cried tears of absolute joy.

Shy cried wholeheartedly and couldn't stop for the life of her. Mace pulled her body up and into his secure arms, neither cared whether the needle in her arms became unattached or not. She wrapped her arms around his neck as far as she could, and he practically broke her frail body as he squeezed her with much of his might, "I missed you... I missed you so much, man. I'm sorry, ma... I let this shit happen. I shouldv'e been there... I'm so sorry," Mace buried his head into the crook of her neck.

Shy hadn't spoken a word since they'd arrived but she didn't need to, Mace was was only glad to have her in his arms. Several long minutes had passed before they broke free. Mace laid her down, all the while, her eyes hadn't left his for not a second.

Milyon stood to the side, watching. She couldn't interrupt this reunion because she wouldn't want someone to do it to her.

"Who did it?" Mace's face was stone once again. He knew who did it, he just wanted to hear it from her mouth.

Still, no response. Shy just stared at him. What was wrong with her? Why wouldn't she speak? Mace kept asking her and was becoming angry at the thought, he needed to hear her say it.

"Shy, answer me, ma. I need to know," he spoke through clenched teeth. Shy continued crying, silently. She shook her head.

Milyon rushed over to him and placed a hand on his arm, "Just... stop. She's obviously not gon' talk. We need to call the doctor in here."

Mace's nostrils flared and he suddenly wanted to punch something. He didn't respond, he just looked at Shy.

Dr. Wells came in and examined Shy. He introduced himself and no response. Shy was crying and seemed overwhelmed with emotion. She just wouldn't speak. Dr. Wells did a few quick tests and it seemed, he saw nothing wrong. He turned to Mace and Milyon.

"It seems her silence is voluntary. So, this is the type of situation I would call a specialists in for. But, I need your permission to do so. If this does happen, she may need to stay here for a few more days for tests."

"No, if any tests need to be done, they can be done at home. We're bringing her home tomorrow. No question."

Dr. Wells sighed, "I see. Well, go finish your visit and she still doesn't speak, let me know. We will make further arrangements from there."

Milyon and Mace continued their visit. Shy began to calm down and the more calm, the more she seemed to drift away. Her eyes became distant and somber. They both constantly tried to speak to her but to no luck, she wouldn't even open her mouth to speak.

"What happened, friend? Talk to me," Milyon tried, brushing Shy's tangled curls to the back. Still, no answer.

Hours passed them and soon, they had to leave. They informed the doctor that she still hadn't spoken and he said that he would make a call, with their permission of course, to a specialist who would visit their home once they took Shy home he next day. The doctor concluded that it possibly had something to do with something traumatic taking place.

***

Shy was coming home. The next day couldn't arrive soon enough. Milyon and Carti arrrived at the medical center and parked near the side entrance as usual. Mace and Milyon spoke to the doctor and they agreed that there were no papers to sign so there would be no record of Shy ever being there. Mae gave Dr. Wells a duffel and headed to get Shy. Another doctor would arrive at Milyon's home within the next few hours to see Shy, Mace moved swiftly.

Entering Shy's room, Mace and Milyon saw that she was no longer connected to anything. She lie in the bed, starring at the wall.

"Come on, baby. Time to go," Mace carefully pulled her into his arms. She laid her head on her shoulder and wrapped her arms around his neck. She closed her eyes. Mace kissed her forehead. The nurses insisted she be escorted out in a wheelchair but Mace wouldn't listen, he walked past them. The nurses gave up. Serge followed Mace and Milyon out of the building, Chelly led. Dr. Wells met them at the door and shook Milyon's hand, she thanked him with an appreciative smile and exited.

Chelly opened the door for Mace, the only reason he allowed her to was because Shy was in his arms. Still, he couldv'e managed. Serge opened the door for Milyon. It was raining, it hadn't been when they entered the building.

Once they all were settled in the car, Chelly drove away from the building. Because Shy hadn't let go of him, she was still in his arms. Mace sunk into the seat and swept her hair away from her face. He tossed his head onto the headrest and released a breath of relief. Shy was really back.

***

Once they arived at Milyon's house, Mace carried Shy inside and took her to her the same room she was in once before. The room had been cleaned. Gently, Mace lowered her onto the bed. She moved some before she found comfort in the position she was in. Mace climbed into the bed with her, fully clothed and pulled her close. Milyon stood in the doorway, watching. Her friend was back and she couldn't be more grateful. She left the light on and closed the door some. She could see that her brother was in another world when in Shy's presence and she didn't want to disrupt that. He was the most gentle with her than she'd seen him with anybody other than King.

She thought of how things were when she first found her brother, Shy and him wouldn't even say much to one another, and then they became comfortable. She laughed to herself. In a way, it felt like old times simply having Shy's presence. A feeling she never thought she'd feel again— whole.

An hour later, Mace woke up to Shy's talking in her sleep, practically crying. He shook her gently, taking her body into his arms which he could never grow tired of. The feeling of her body was reassuring him that this was real and she was real.

"Shy? Baby? Wake up, I'm right here, ma," he shook her lightly and her eyes fluttered open.

Her body was damp with perspiration and he begin to remove her hoodie, the one they took her to the hospital in. She had nothing on underneath but Mace couldn't think of sex right now. His body went against him, he hardened beneath her. He ignored it and watched Shy cry into his chest. He wore a black t-shirt and black jeans, he didn't care that she was wetting his clothes.

"It's okay, baby. I'm right here." he assured her, rocking her back and forth.

As if on cue, Milyon knocked on the door, lightly, "The psychiatrist is here," she informed Mace.

Mace nodded his head. Milyon opened the door wider and the middle-aged, Caucasian woman entered the room. Mace covered Shy's top with her hoodie. he gently laid Shy down and begin to whimper like a child when he let her go.

"I'm right here, I'm not leaving," Mace realized he should probably continue to hold Shy, he didn't want to upset her.

he nodded his head, allowing for the doctor to walk over to the two. She shook his hand, introducing herself as Dr. Stile. Milyon had already explained to the doctor that Shy wouldn't speak.

"Do you think she will let you leave?" the doctor spoke loud, but not too loud.

Carti didn't want to leave but if that's what the doctor needed, he would try, "Shy, you got a visitor, ma. I'ma step out for a second while Dr. Stile visits with you, okay?" Shy's eyes were now open and glued to the wall. She didn't respond. Carti slowly got out of the bed and left the room. He left the door open.

"Hi, Miss Williams. I'm Dr. Stile, I'm a pschyciastrist..." Mace heard the doctor begin speaking to Shy.

"This shit is crazy," mace expressed to Milyon who stood outside of the door, also.

Milyon nodded, "Right. She was just... gone and now... she's here. I almost got used to not seeing her smile and laugh everyday, I begin to tell myself to move on with life and to stop crying because it wouldn't make her come back," starring into thin air, Milyon continued, "She was in my dreams and I couldn't go a single day without her in the back of my mind. She wouldn't go away... her voice would be lingering in my mind, encouraging me to be strong. Like, she wouldn't go away and I think it was because... she was never really gone."

Mace nodded, "It hurt when we saw pops and moms get killed and I knew wouldn't shit ever add up to the pain that that night caused me. But, honestly, when I saw that fuckin' car explode in flames, I lost my mind. I lost myself. I swear to God, I thought I could save her but I couldn't. I'm still tryna figure out how the fuck she's here right now."

Milyon shrugged, "It's a blessing."

About thirty minutes later, the doctor came out of the room and informed Milyon and Mace that her silence was most certainly related to a traumatic experience, she labeled it elective mutism. She explained that there was nothing that can be done and that Milyon and Mace should give it time, she will more than likely come around. Only time will tell.

Milyon and Mace thanked the doctor, Mace left her with a hefty compensation. She tried refusing but he wouldn't allow her to walk away without a large envelope stuffed with wads of hundred dollar bills.

"We leaving for New York tomorrow, you gon' be alright with Shy by yourself?" Mace asked as he and Milyon entered the family room.

Milyon nodded, "Yea, I should be straight. But honestly, I don't want you and Carti to go," she sat down.

Mace sat down on the sofa next to her and kicked his feet up on the coffee table, "It'll only be for a day, not even, half of a day. We leave early tomorrow and come back later in the afternnon on the jet. You should be good, Serge and Chelly will be here, and the nanny. There will also be extra security outside, Carti will introduce you to them in the morning so you know who they are."

"Okay."

"Don't let anybody in this house and don't answer the door, I don't give a fuck who it is, Milyon."

"Alright, dad," Milyon stated sarcastically.

***

The next morning, Carti and Mace woke up before the sun did. Carti explained to her that she was not to leave the house and that security wasn't allowed to let her. She also was told not to let anyone in. She introduced her to four men and one woman who would be securing the perimeter of the home. Milyon tried memorizing all of their names and faces but she was half asleep.

"Milyon, I'm not playing with you, don't leave this house," Carti scolded her.

"Okay, Carti. Go and handle your business. King and I are good," she held King in her arms and swayed her body back and forth so he would stay asleep. She only got him out of his bed so she could carry him to hers once Carti left.

Carti kissed Milyon and King both and left with Mace on his side.

Once they were gone, she headed back to her room after checking on Shy who was sound asleep. She would try to get at least another hour of sleep before getting up to cook.

Hours later, Milyon was sitting with Shy in the family room, watching a movie. Shy didn't seem to be watching, though. Shy was lying on the sofa half way with her head resting on a decorative pillow. She seemed to be watching the movie that was playing but Milyon knew better. King was playing with Stella in his room and Milyon began to miss Carti. His presence meant security.

The doorbell rang.

Milyon had disobeyed her fiance and brother many times, she felt bad because she knew she was wrong. She'd invited Kai over. She needed some company. She prayed that Serge and Chelly wouldn't give Kai a hard time. She rushed to the door, peeking through the glass, she saw Chelly standing there. Milyon pulled it open.

"Sorry to disturb you, Mrs. King but are you expecting someone?" she asked in a stern voice.

"Yes, my friend. She's okay, you can let her in," Milyon watched as Serge blocked Kai from entering. Milyon was surprised they even let her out of her car.

"Serge, it's okay. I'm expecting her," Milyon called over Chelly's shoulder.

"Mrs. King, we were informed not to let anyone in by Mr. King."

"I know but she's my friend. Would you like for me to tell Mr. King that you will not respect my wishes?" Milyon asked.

Chelly shook her head, "No, Mrs. King," she turned away and whispered something to Serge. Serge shot her a knowing look but he went onto search Kai and Chelly stepped out of the way to allow her entrance. Kai mugged both as she came in. Milyon closed the door behind her.

"Girl, what the hell going on over here?" Kai asked.

Milyon rolled her eyes, "Carti and Mace beefing up on security since you know..." referring to Shy being delivered on the doorstep.

"Right, right.That was crazy."

"Yea, well, I have someone to introduce you to," Milyon smiled as kai followed her to the family room.

***

In New York, Carti and Mace were escorted by their two security guards, Dane and Felix into the church that Aaliyah was holding Akoni's memorial service at. No one was sitting down, everyone was lined up to pay their respects to Aaliyah and the rest of her family that was there. Akoni's body was not in the church or even in the United States, at that. A funeral had already been held for him in Jamaica and that is where he would be buried.

Mace and Carti played the back, standing off to the side while others were speaking with Aaliyah, they would wait. Both men were dress dapper in Tom Ford from head to toe and as people exited, they couldn't help but wonder who the men were.

Over an hour later, Aaliyah strutted towards them in her black Valentino high-heeled sandals, and very fitting tube dressed that stopped just above her knees. A white lapel was draped over her shoulders and her hair was pulled back into a tight, bun with a middle part. Her exotic features were emphasized with much make up and red lipstick. She stood in front of them exuding confidence and poise a she clutched her Alexander Wang clutch in front of her. She nodded at them both and scanned their apparel, she nodded in approval.

"Hello, men. Glad you could make it, follow me," she turned away before either of them could reply. She had security on her heavy, one in front and the other in back. They exited the church a walked towards a Rolls Royce Phantom. They knew it belonged to her especially because of the two men guarding it. As they approached it, the doors wer opened for them, Aaliyah got in, and Mace and Carti followed. All security, including Mace and Carti's stood outside of the vehicle.

The vehicle had a private interior with seats that were facing each other. Mace and Carti sat on one side, Aaliyah on the other.

"You men clean up well," Aaliyah complimented.

"We didn't come here for that, ma. Tell us what we need to know," Carti spoke.

Aaliyah chuckled, "I see. Well, do you have an answer for me?" she asked, legs crossed and shoulders squared.

"Who's the connect?" Mace asked, he wouldn't give her an answer that easily.

"You know that I can't reveal that information to you unless you have an answer for me."

Silence filled the interior of the car. Carti tried reading her but she held her composure as she waited for an answer.

"Will everything remain as it was before Akoni's passing as you said over the phone and in our previous meeting?" Carti asked.

"Absolutely. Nothing will change other than the face you see."

Again, silence.

"We're in."

Aaliyah smiled, "Glad to hear it, fellas. In that case, it's nice to meet you. I'm Aaliyah and I will be taking the place of my cousin Akoni as your connect."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80K 3.4K 37
Kaysia and Kaz is back but shit ain't nowhere near better. As she try to deal with this new life that's been put before her. Kaz could be facing a lo...
298K 5.7K 53
Mea Savanna, strong, caring and bold. Dropping out of college wasn't in her to do list but after her mother's death; everything went down hell. She d...
149K 2K 34
Ali, normal teenager, 15 year old girl is a very talented pianist and is an only child. Her mother died at the age of two. It's just her and her Dad...
119K 15K 64
Book 3 of the 'Broken series' " Just mek mi know why yah act out suh Miliyon, why yuh insist fi mad me!" Judah yells, causing Miliyon to hiss her tee...