A Crash, A Song, A Wave

Por TaraZamir

The battle of Portorosso is over, and everyone is healing. Well - almost everyone. Alberto finds himself stuc... Mais

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Edit to Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chaptere 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
The END

Chapter 19

1.4K 51 98
Por TaraZamir

TW in the description

Chapter 19

Alberto POV

Traveling alongside Tartanum and Yura proved to be slow-moving and quiet. Tartanum could have gone twice the speed they maintained, and even Alberto found himself slowing down for the young boy.

"Do you need a break?" Alberto asked as he noticed the young boy's gills pumping water in and out quickly.

Yura nodded, still panting. They found a nice reef to take refuge. There were a few lemon sharks hunting nearby, but they quickly disappeared as soon as Tartanum made an appearance. The stallion shook his mane and whipped his tail lazily. He found a nice patch of seagrass and lay down but kept his head high, alert, and watching.

"Let's stop for lunch. I'll get us something." Alberto offered as Yura took a seat on a soft coral pad.

Alberto hadn't anticipated Yura would join him when he planned his departure. And while having the boy tag along was pleasant, and he was genuinely excited to show him Portorosso, it made progress slow.

Several times Alberto broke the surface of the water, testing the temperature of the air. It was cold. So cold he worried he would miss the first snow. They had to keep moving.

It'd been a week since they left the Azlo farm, and since then, Yura had scarcely spoken three words. Alberto knew the boy was homesick, but to his credit, he never complained. Occasionally Tartanum would disappear for up to ten hours, hunting for prey. But he somehow always knew where they were no matter how far they'd progressed in his absence. The stallion proved to be immensely helpful when a pod of dolphins swam by them.

The pod stopped, their natural curiosity getting the better of them, and descended to check out the two Merfolk. Alberto knew that humans had a particular fondness for the aquatic mammals, but to a Rusal, they were a nuisance.

They chattered and clicked around them, circling in tighter and tighter circles. A few braved a nip to Alberto's tail, and one even shoved Yura.

"Get lost!" Alberto yelled at them, "We aren't toys to play with!" He flared his fins and barred his fangs. But seeing as the dolphins were a bit larger than him, they paid no mind to his warnings.

That was until Tartanum returned from his hunting trip. The Kelpie pinned its ears back, flashing its dangerous fangs and slicing the water with its raptor-like talons.

The pod scattered and never bothered them again.

Alberto searched until he found an outcrop of rock close to the surface. On it was the familiar spikey creatures with hollow needles. Sea urchins, as Alberto discovered, were Yura's favorite meal. The delicate orange meat inside was sweet to the taste and melted on the tongue. Alberto never bothered with them because it was difficult to crack them open and access the meat. He was still learning how to do so properly and poked himself many times. But if it would lessen the boy's homesickness, Alberto was more than willing.

After gathering roughly a dozen urchins into his bag, he made his way back to the reef.

An Echo.

No,... a memory.

Something stirred inside the Rusal. Alberto flinched, dropping the bag, the urchins scattered across the sea floor.

The feeling in his chest. He'd felt it before. It'd been so long that he'd forgotten what it was like.

The Bond rang inside him, but distantly. He was still too far away from Portorosso to get the full strength of it. But it was there, a reminder of home. Of Luca.

Alberto touched his chest and smiled. He'd missed this. Missed the connection he shared with another.

But his smile quickly melted away as another echo reached him. 

Guilt.

Self-loathing.

Fear.

Disgrace.

Regret.

Shame.

Those and many similar emotions hit him like a freight train, making him gasp, and a flurry of bubbles escape his mouth.

Something was happening to Luca. Something terrible.

~.~.~.~

Luca POV

"You get twenty minutes for a break? That's nice. Pa never lets me slow down while I'm on the boat." Leo said, scooting closer to Luca on the kitchen counter.

Both males had hopped on the counter and were sitting idly. Talking. Well, Leo was talking, and Luca was doing his best to hug the edge of the kitchen island they were seated on. Scooting away until there was no room left.

He felt lightheaded. Probably from lack of food. Maybe water. He didn't know, nor did he care. He just wanted to get through this shift and disappear under the covers of his bed. And hold Dolce for comfort.

Silence passed between them, broken only by the dripping faucet.

"It's getting pretty lonely up on the hill," Leo said, piercing Luca with those yellow eyes.

"I... I haven't been. I'm just not comfor... I'm sorry." Luca stuttered out, turning his head away.

He felt guilty about leaving Leo on the hill alone. It was his responsibility, after all. His part to play in protecting their home. And he was failing it.

"I haven't asked for a replacement because I keep hoping you'll show up." Leo pressed.

Luca continued to avert his eyes.

"Must be nice, getting all that sleep," Leo said, a hint of frustration entering his tone.

Luca wasn't sleeping. Not a drop. Even when he closed his eyes, his body was wracked with guilt. So much that he spent half the night sick on the bathroom floor. But even after his stomach had nothing to give, the shame never left.

He... hated himself.

"I'm sorry," Luca repeated.

"Why don't you join me tonight? You're probably all rested by now."

Luca didn't know if Leo truly didn't notice his deteriorating condition or didn't care. One look at the small Sireno, and one could see he was unwell.

"Hey," Leo scooted along the countertop, closing the remaining space between them. He wrapped an arm around Luca's shoulders, pulling him in. "I can see what's going on in your head."

"Do you really? I doubt that." Luca thought.

"You're missing him. I get it. But I know I can make you feel better, Luca. I can fix this. You'll feel better if," He grabbed Luca's chin, forcing Luca to meet his eyes, "If you kissed me."

Luca tried pulling away, but he nearly lost his balance on the counter, giving Leo an excuse to catch him, pulling him even tighter.

"You can think of him if you want. I told you I'm okay with it. But I know one day he'll disappear from your mind, and you'll finally see me."

He moved his head close.

"Leo, please, I can't. I don't have the strength." Luca said in a last-ditch effort to stop this. To stop what was happening.

"He is making you say that, Luca. Don't let him take control of you. I know what you truly want."

And kissed Luca. It was rough and hard, and Luca couldn't breathe. He used his last remaining strength and shoved Leo in the chest.

"I said I don't want to, Leo!" Luca said, sliding off the counter and making his way to the door. "I'm going back to work."

But then Leo's hand was gripping his wrist.

"Ow! Leo, that hurts," Luca said, trying to pull away, but he didn't have a chance.

He was too broken. Too weak to fight off Leo's advances. And his will to fight at all was all but gone.

Luca simply... didn't care anymore.

"Luca, your break isn't even over yet. Don't try to run from this. You need to face it."

Luca shook his head. He couldn't do this. But there was nothing he could do to stop it.

So... might as well do the one thing that sustains him. The only thing keeping him breathing. Memories of Alberto.

Even though he was abandoned, he couldn't let go of his mate. Thoughts of him both gave him life and were slowly killing him.

"I know what you want, Luca. You can think of him; I promise I won't be upset." Leo said, pushing Luca against the counter.

"Don't fight it," Leo said in a whisper.

And Luca closed his eyes and fell into the fantasy. Plunged into the fake world, he created to keep himself from falling apart.

Alberto kissed him hard. It was rough, and Luca knew he'd have bruised lips the next day. Luca tried to come up for air but was only given a second of reprieve before Alberto's rough hands forced his face down, kissing him again.

Alberto's tongue slid into Luca's mouth, and he moaned when Luca accepted it. Whether Luca accepted it or didn't have the strength to say no, he couldn't tell. Neither did he care.

Luca kissed Alberto. Feeling him. He ignored that the hair running through his fingers was wavy, and it didn't curl the way it was supposed to. He ignored that the smell of Storm was gone, replaced by the foreign scent of another.

And most of all, Luca completely disconnected from the silence in his heart. The deadness in his chest. The stillness of the Bond inside him. It lie dormant, untouched, never to glow with golden light ever again.

"Oh, Luca~" Alberto moaned in a voice much too high. "You're so damn hot."

"Alberto would never say that." Luca thought but kissed him anyway.

It was sloppy, their tounges gliding over the other in unpracticed movements.

Luca began to shake. His head was spinning.

But Alberto interpreted that as passion, not as the distress it was. He responded by grabbing Luca, his grip bruising skin, and pushing them onto the kitchen floor. Luca's head hit the stone tile, so hard lights danced in his vision. He gasped from the shock, but air was quickly denied him as Alberto kissed him again.

He bit Luca's lip so hard Luca cried out.

Again, this was taken as an act of passion, and Alberto continued to press harder. Luca felt Alberto's arousal, the shape foreign under their clothes, press against him.

"We gotta be quick before they notice you're not up front," Alberto said in a rushed voice. Luca heard the sound of a zipper.

He was going to pass out. The stars grew in his eyes, and a dark narrow tunnel appeared in his vision.

"Alberto... don't," Luca said weakly. "I can't."

But he was quickly silenced as a hand slapped over his mouth.

"I'm not him. And you're about to figure that out."

The small Sireno didn't have enough strength to produce tears. He lay there, defenseless and on the verge of losing consciousness. He felt hands grab at his pants roughly, yanking on them so hard it scratched his skin.

"Al.... st-op." Luca croaked.

"I told you I'm not him!"

Luca tried lifting his hands, but they were instantly pinned to the ground. Alberto hovered over him.

"Open your eyes and say my name. MY name!"

A voice barked. It wasn't Alberto's voice.

Luca lay still.

"SAY IT!"

With fluttering strength, Luca opened his eyes. The eyes watching him weren't green. They weren't soft or kind. Weren't filled with love.

These eyes were yellow pools of rage. Filled with aggression and possessiveness.

"I'm going to make you forget him, Luca. Let's start by saying my name, shall we?"

Luca felt something warm press against his leg.

"N—o."

"What was that?" Leo asked, bending lower.

"N—o. No. I won't say it."

Leo pulled back, eyes wide and full of frustration.

"Fine then. If you won't say my name. I'll make sure this body will never forget me. I'll make you happy, Luca, you'll see."

Water fell over the pair, and Luca sputtered and blinked. Leo was so surprised he fell backward, pants tangled around his legs.

"Luca!"

Gentle hands helped pull Luca away from the puddle of water now on the floor. He could feel fins and scales running down his back and saw his tail dragging on the floor behind him.

"Ksenya?"

"Thank god I came to check." She said, pulling him to a wall he could lean against.

"You're white as a ghost. Damn it, if I'd only gotten here sooner."

He felt hands help pull his pants back over himself.

"Thank you, Ksenya," Luca said, returning to this realm. His eyes grew more focused as he watched Leo stand, buttoning his pants.

"What the hell was that for!?" He yelled and shoved Ksenya.

"Don't touch her!" Luca called out weakly, but he was still shaking too badly. His head still fuzzy. He couldn't stand.

"YOU!" Ksenya roared in such a way that made even Luca's eyes widen.

"Yeah me. What of it?" Leo snarled. "Why did you do that?"

"Because you were... you were about to...." Ksenya couldn't finish; her hands balled into fists.

"He wasn't complaining at the time. Right, Luca?"

"That's because he was almost passed out!" Ksenya roared.

"You don't know anything, you stupid bitch."

Leo moved like he was about to grab Ksenya, but the little female was fast and ducked under his arm. She ran to the sink, lifting a second pot of water and dumping it over her head.

Blond hair and fair skin disappeared to reveal a skyscaled Rusalka. She hissed at him, eyes like slits, tail swishing.

"You people don't scare me," Leo said. "I'm taking Luca, and we're leaving."

He turned to the green-scaled Sireno on the floor.

"C'mon Luca; we're leaving."

"Don't you touch him!" Ksenya screamed and shoved Leo.

Leo pulled an arm back, fist ready to connect with Ksenya's face. For a second time, she dogged his unpracticed punch, and swiped her talons at him.

"AAAAAH!" Leo yelled as three claw marks appeared on his cheek, blood mixing with the water on the floor.

"If you dare report me, I'll tell everyone what you were about to do to Luca." Ksenya hissed and, with Luca half draped over her shoulder, exited the kitchen.

~.~.~.~

Alberto POV

Alberto blinked hard as something big let out a heavy breath. The warm water bubbled through the fins on his head. Then a gentle nudge to his side.

Tartanum was standing over him, trying to wake him. His tail swished with concern.

Alberto reached up and stroked the creature's soft muzzle.

"I'm alright, boy. Just a little lightheaded, is all."

The Rusal slowly rose, trying to remember what happened. He looked around and saw the sea urchins scattered around him.

He remembered bits and pieces. A fire burned inside him. The Bond raging with pain. With guilt. The feeling of not wanting to exist filled him completely, that he lost consciousness and fell.

Tartanum bent low again, rubbing his nose on Alberto's cheek, a deep humming in his chest.

"I'm alright, boy, I'm alright."

But Alberto was shaken. Shaken because those feelings didn't belong to him. They belonged to someone else.

Luca.

Alberto grabbed a couple of sea urchins and darted back to the reef. In record time, he had the hard shells cracked open, pocking himself in the process. But he didn't care. He wanted to get moving as quickly as possible. He took a piece of seaweed, using it as a plate for the circles of sweet orange meat.

"Here, Yura. Eat quick. We have to move." Alberto said, anxious to keep going.

Yura eyed him; concern etched on his young face.

"Is that person in trouble?" The boy asked his first words in nearly a week.

Alberto nodded.

"Yes. We have to get there quickly."

Yura understood the urgency in his voice because he gulped the meat down in just a few bites and was ready to depart.

Tartanum felt the energy in Alberto's voice and pawed at the sand, ready to move. Alberto got an idea.

Yura, I'm going to have you ride Tar. That way, we can move faster. Alberto removed his pack and began tearing it. He tore the fabric into long strips, tying them around the Stallions thick neck.

"I'm going to need your help, boy. Can you do that?" Alberto asked, then he hummed a few lines of melody.

Tartanum bobbed his head and pawed the sand again. He was ready.

"Okay, Yura, swim onto his back. I'll need you to hold onto these strips and let Tar pull you through the water.

The boy eyed the stallion wearily, but trusted Alberto enough to approach.

As he nestled himself on the great beast's back, Tartanum turned his head, a single eye watching him. He looked to Alberto as though to ask, "You sure about this?"

"Easy, boy. It'll be ok." He hummed, rubbing the stallion behind one ear.

Tartanum relaxed and faced forward again.

"Okay, let's go," Alberto said, and the group pushed forward through the water.

Tartanum was powerful enough that even with the drag of Yura on top of him, he maintained a fast speed. The Keplie was so fast, in fact, that Alberto found himself struggling to keep up. But he pushed his body, reaching for all his strength reserves.

"Luca, I'm coming."

~.~.~.~

Luca POV

Dolce paced in circles on the floor, whining incessantly. When Ksenya brought a half-conscious Luca into the Pescheria, the pup lept from the couch right away, licking Luca's bruised leg.

They were alone, save for the two animals. Gabriella was at her art studio across town, Massimo on his boat, and Eshe in Bravaree.

"Luca, you need to get to a hospital." Ksenya urged again.

"No. No hospital. I just need to lie down." Luca insisted as Ksenya helped him to bed.

Dolce continued to pace on the rug in the room, and Nicolo observed from a high shelf.

"Luca you... you almost-"

"He didn't do anything to me, Ksenya," Luca said, cringing as he removed his shirt.

He hurt.

"Yes, he did!" Ksenya cried upon seeing the bruises already forming on his skin. "Did he hit you?"

Luca shook his head.

"No. Not really."

Ksenya bit her lip, unconvinced.

"He forced himself on you, Luca."

"I didn't stop him." Luca snapped. "It's just as much my fault that things got out of hand."

Ksenya shook her head in disbelief.

"I can't believe you're blaming yourself right now."

"I'm to blame. Leo didn't... didn't do anything I didn't expect him to." Luca said, his words drifting off.

He felt Ksenya sit on the edge of his bed, but he refused to look at her.

"Let a doctor see you, Luca. You aren't okay. There is no color in your skin, your eyes are sunken, and you won't eat. We need to figure this out."

"Will you just let it go!" Luca snapped, his eyes flashing on her.

She recoiled, taken aback by his outburst.

"I'm fine, I told you. I can handle myself. Just, leave me alone. Alright?"

Luca instantly regretted yelling when he saw Ksenya's eyes brim with tears. She rose from the bed when Luca quickly grabbed her hand.

"Please... don't tell anyone. I don't want anyone to know. I have things under control."

"Luca, you can't expect me to—"

"I've never asked anything of you, Ksenya. And I never will again. Just this once, I need your promise."

For a moment, it looked like she might refuse. But her shoulders fell in defeat.

"Okay. If you... if you promise to check in with me from time to time. And let me do the same, then I won't tell anyone."

Luca nodded his head, letting go of her hand.

"Okay. I'll do that."

He turned away, pulling the covers tighter around him, and turned his back to the door. He didn't watch Ksenya leave, but heard the door close behind her.

He felt a lighter presence jump on the bed, and, a moment later, a soft tongue licking at his ear.

"Hey, girl," Luca said, looking at the little dog fondly. She wagged her tail and whined again.

She continued to lick his face.

"I'm okay, girl. I'm okay."

He pulled her to his chest, where she settled against him. Only after running his hand down the soft of her back did he begin to feel again. He felt some of the tension inside him dissipate, and just a little bit, so did the pain.

"It's just you and me now... isn't it?" Luca said.

Then another black figure lept from the shelf, landing perfectly on the pillow beside him.

Nicolo meowed.

"Oh, and you, of course. I didn't forget about you." He scratched the feline under the chin.

Nicolo found a resting spot beside Luca's head, close enough for Luca to hear the cat purring.

Luca didn't sleep, but listening to the cat's rumbling purs and Dolce's breathing calmed his heart.

This was the only place he was safe now. Because the moment he left, he had to face his deprivations head-on.

He was sick.

Sick in mind and body.

But he didn't care. He wouldn't stop Leo. And he was fully aware that, eventually, it would lead to him getting hurt. Badly.

But despite how much he denied it, he wouldn't stop seeking the boy out. Because no matter how many bruises dotted his body, it would be worth it to feel Alberto. If only for a moment.

Luca buried his face in Dolce's white fur, letting a single tear finally escape.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

0 0 26
Samuel thinks he is doing God's work, building a magnificent church in Silver, his Californian hometown. A beautiful wife, an impressive career, ever...
20.9K 661 12
(Heavy Angst) What if Luca's parents actually sent him to the bottom of the ocean with his Uncle to prevent him from going to the surface? They're do...
2K 79 7
BOOK HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED!! Luca and Alberto have been childhood friends since Luca followed Alberto up onto the shore. They've shared memories ove...