The Vampire Prince graduates...

By Mama_Kas

After surviving an assassination attempt, Alexander and Rin are adjusting to every day life. Not only is grad... More

Q&A
Development Project
For the Future
Career Exams
Promises
Invitation
Family Talk
Dinner
Confessions
A Whole New World
Senior Year
Orientation
Convenient
Quiet Moment
Unexpected
Second Breakfast
Theory
Letting the Cat out of the Bag
Internship
AU - Hot Chocolate at the park
Debts
Insecure
Back-Up Plan
My Brain Hurts
P.I.
Cooperation
Ice-cream Break
Let Me Hold Your Papers
Auction (Part 1)
Auction (Part 2)
Reply
The Truth
Building Bridges
Brownies make good breakfast
Digging for Information
Pep talk
Moving Forward
Insight
It Happened
Remain Calm
Lady Hargrave
Trust
Inside Job
Resurfaced
Not a Promise
Breach
In your Arms
Around the dinner table
Camellia
Roommates
Ambush
Henry
Betrayed
Call Him
Exercise Caution
Sold
Served
Gifts
Unwrapping
Traditions
Plans
What's the Rush?
A Traitor Among Us
Hacked
The Final Countdown
Love, Strength, and Trust
Well Wishes
To the Future
Times are Changing
Riot
We're Everywhere
Captured
Pawn
Exchange
Exposed
Escape
Rescued
The Truth Revealed
Sleeping Beauty
A Cure
Immobilized
Awakened
Princess
Loyalty
Graduation
Epilogue

I Know

542 32 3
By Mama_Kas

After the charity ball disaster, I stayed in my room for the next two days. All over social media, the vampires supporting Lady Hargrave called for intervention not to let me (a human) be with Alexander. Everyone had their two cents to put in. The majority said I wasn't qualified because there were many better marriage candidates. Some even said I was part of the agenda to allow humans to hold governing power over vampires.

"They don't know anything about me," I grumbled, scrolling the forums on my phone.

"Rin," my mom called outside my door on the third day since the charity ball. "Are you awake?"

"No!"

A few seconds later, my mom walked in. She put her hands on her hip when she saw me in bed, still in my pajamas.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

I glanced around. "Resting," I told her.

"Resting," she echoed. "Don't you have work?"

"I caught up," I said.

"That's not what I meant. Alexander is worried about you. You're not talking to him, and it's not helping the situation."

"It's his mom that made this mess," I grumbled.

"Rin!" she scolded.

I put my phone down. "What?" I whined.

"Am I hearing this?"

I rubbed my face. "What do you want me to do? Why do I have to defend my feelings for Alexander to anyone? Why do my feelings have to be used for political reasons?"

Mom sat down on the edge of the bed and patted my leg.

"You had to know something like this was going to happen," she began.

"Yeah," I said, "but it should have been on my terms. Maybe after graduating high school. But no. Now, I can't even have the luxury."

"So you plan to pout on the day before Christmas eve?

"That's the plan."

My mom sighed. "How about gifts? Have you wrapped your gifts yet?"

"No one is getting anything," I grumbled. "I'm a broke high school student."

"Not even a Christmas card?" Mom asked. "That makes me feel sad."

I rolled on my back. I had done Christmas shopping online. All the gifts had arrived over the last few days and were hidden in my walk-in closet. While I wasn't motivated to get out of bed, I knew Mom wouldn't leave me alone until I did.

"Fine," I said, sitting up. "I'll write stuff on cards. I don't have any."

"You're in luck. I picked them up the other day."

My mother helped me write Christmas cards for the next hour. She even had Diana bring snacks and hot chocolate for us. As I wrote at the desk, Mom sat beside me, nibbling on snacks and watching me write. When I was finished, she picked them.

"I'll make sure these get where they need to," she said. "We'll see you at dinner?"

I sat back on the chair. "Yeah, I'll be there."

As she left, I called Diana back in. When she walked in, she had an armful of wrapping paper, scissors, and a bag of tape.

"Did you read my mind?" I asked.

She chuckled. "No, your mother asked me to bring them."

I sighed. Of course, Mom would know I was hiding gifts. "Alright, let's get this over with."

With Diana's help, I started wrapping gifts. They were small. Miss Melanie had even sent over extra holiday gifts for me to give out to friends and family. These were charm bracelets, movie tickets, gift cards, watches, cologne, and perfume.

It was close to dinner when we finished.

"Let's get you dressed," Diana said. "You can't miss dinner with the royal family."

I made a face.

"It's a casual dinner," Diana added. "Jeans and a t-shirt are the appropriate attire here. I'll even let you pick your clothes."

"Gee, thanks," I said sarcastically.

She smiled. "I thought you might like that."

My parents were at the main house before I made my way over. I had joseph drive me there since the weather wasn't going to let me walk.

"Aren't you going to spend time with your family?" I asked.

"I have a few days off," he said. "Don't worry about me."

When the car stopped in front of the house, Trevor opened the door and ushered me inside. The few seconds outside turned me into a popsicle. Once inside the house, I rubbed my hands together, blowing on them.

"Everyone is in the drawing room," he said.

"Thanks. I can find my way."

As Trevor left, I dragged my feet to the drawing room. How would they react? I had avoided them since the incident. Just as I reached the appropriate hallway, I bumped into Noah. He wore a Christmas sweater which was bright red with reindeer going around.

"Hey, Rin," he said casually. "Nice to see you."

Diana wasn't kidding when she said this dinner was casual.

"Hey," I said. "How are you?"

"Busy mostly," he replied.

"Still chasing leads?"

He paused. "Yeah, I figured I would be more useful this way. I don't want drama to spread. Everyone is looking for an excuse to stir things up."

I thought back to the charity ball. "Don't I know it," I muttered.

"You joining us for dinner?" I asked.

"Might as well," he replied. "I'm waiting on some files, so a nice break will be helpful."

Together, we went to the drawing room. Inside, everyone was comfortably on the furniture, listening to smooth jazz. When I walked in behind Noah, Alexander was immediately at my side. A pang of guilt hit me. He pulled me into a hug.

"Did you rest well?" he asked. "Your dad said you were feeling under the weather."

I peeked at my dad. He casually sipped from his mug.

"I'm better," I said.

Alexander looked ready to say something else.

"We'll talk after dinner," I said.

"Okay."

"Why don't the two of you have a small dinner together?" King Lionel suggested. "I'll have Trevor and Diana arrange it."

"That's a sweet idea," My mom said. "You two enjoy."

Alexander and I awkwardly stood in the empty room as the parents and Noah walked out.

"I wasn't sick," I told him.

"I know," he said.

He took my hands and brought them to his lips. "I don't want you to hide from me."

I leaned into him. "I was disappointed," I whispered. "I thought you'd be there and then . . . The announcement, and now, it's a mess."

"I'm sorry. I should have been there."

I looked up at him. "What happened?"

"I was told I didn't need to be there until the dinner. I had no idea you were at the auction already."

"So, we were each given different information."

He sighed. "Yeah. Lady Hargrave must have made a mistake."

"When has that ever happened?" I scoffed.

"Never," he replied. "As far as I'd known her, she's never made a miscommunication error."

"You agree it's suspicious?" I prompted.

He gave me a look. "Is this you trying to convince my mother is out to get you?"

"Do I need to convince you?" I asked. "She is. This proves it. I know it sounds like I'm making things up but look at what happened."

"It could have been her staff."

"If the staff member was incompetent, why'd she keep them?"

He sighed. "I don't know."

I pulled my hands away. "Let's go eat."

Alexander grabbed my arm. "We're not done."

My chin trembled. "What is there to talk about? I believe your mom is a terrorist who plotted your assassination attempt for some unknown agenda, and she's out to get me. Nothing she's done so far has dissuaded me from that thought."

"I don't want my mother to come between us," he began.

"She's not. But can you tell me if you're at least open to the idea that your mom is potentially behind many of the problems right now?"

"Why do you think she'll do something like this?"

"I don't know. That's why we should do something to figure out her motives."

Alexander crossed his arm. "Rin."

"She sabotaged our announcement ceremony! All the work we did just went down the drain."

"Okay. I'll talk to her," he said.

"Ask her why she sold the family brooch I gave her."

He paused. "She did what now?"

"The brooch I gave her. She sold it at the auction."

His jaw tensed. This time, he looked angry. I took a step back.

"I'll talk to her," he repeated in a low voice.

I nodded. "Okay," I squeaked out. 

Trevor walked into the room. "Your dinner is ready," he said. 

Hand-in-hand, Alexander and I followed Trevor. I couldn't deny the nervousness Alexander's words had stirred up inside me. The way he said it, Lady Hargrave selling the brooch was worst than what I had initially thought. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4M 149K 82
Twenty years ago, vampires emerged from the shadows and took their place among humans. With their King and the government working together, a fragile...
31 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...
188K 6.4K 41
Faith was happy with her life. She had a clear plan, and always knew what her next move was going to be. But then a terrible tragedy wiped out half h...
27.9K 1.8K 32
She's one of the richest people in the kingdom. He isn't. She was born into a royal family. He wasn't. She's a vampire. He's a human. What happens w...